Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

Cricket South Africa to launch new T20 Global Destination League in 2017

Cricket South Africa (CSA) today announced the launch of its new franchise-based #T20 Global League. The newly launched #T20 Global League will debut in the last quarter of 2017 with 8 participating teams.

The announcement of the global tender for the new #T20 Global League comes after the CSA President, Chris Nenzani, and Chief Executive, Haroon Lorgat, informed the ICC and Member nations attending the ICC meetings in Dubai this week.

“Our vision is to drive the creation of a new #T20 destination league in South Africa that would energise the sport of cricket in South Africa by creating a global platform for the best-in-class to perform and showcase their talent to a global audience,” commented Mr. Chris Nenzani.

“We have received a very favourable response to our plans from the ICC and Member Boards and look to their support in our endeavour. We now look forward to another exciting chapter in the evolution of South African cricket and to the whole game benefitting from our new #T20 Global League,” added Nenzani.

“Today is a landmark day for Cricket South Africa. Early feedback from the marketplace suggests that there is tremendous interest in our Global Destination League from around the globe.” CSA Chief Executive, Mr Haroon Lorgat, said on the announcement.

“We have taken our time and worked hard to reach the point where we are now ready to play in the global #T20 arena. This new #T20 Global Destination League offers great opportunities for investment in South Africa and South African cricket, and we are excited by the number of local and international superstars that will feature in the league. We are also confident that the window we have chosen will make it possible for franchises to attract top class players to South Africa,” Lorgat concluded.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Global league, that implies that there will be no limits on international players. Will there be quotas on selection?.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm interested to see how this turns out. Might actually go watch a game or two.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good new for South Africa. Hope some of our players are selected and get experience of playing on South African pitches.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Is there enough interest to maintain the league?

I don't think there is enough interest in the game.

SA seems to be more into football and rugby.

I can't think of anything else but this machine. I sell here, Sir, what all the world desires to have - POWER

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1458 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barragan View Post
    Is there enough interest to maintain the league?

I don't think there is enough interest in the game.

SA seems to be more into football and rugby.
    Isn't that the point?

To grow a base?

Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Isn't that the point?

To grow a base?
    So, they are ready to take losses?

How long will this process take?

I can't think of anything else but this machine. I sell here, Sir, what all the world desires to have - POWER

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Global Destination League, means what? Will they go and play matches in different countries or perhaps different seasons in different locations? Like in Dubai, India et cetra? Or that teams will be international? Like Indian City team, Pakistan et cetra?

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Faisalabad.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very confusing name. Can anyone shed some light on this.

We Have Good Players Just Need to Find Good Selectors

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To everyone confused, you're not alone.

I have no idea. It might be invitational sides going by this: "by creating a global platform for the best-in-class to perform and showcase their talent to a global audience".

That's the problem with modern meaningless buzzwords, I suppose.
    Last edited by Ozymandiasza; 4th February 2017 at 12:05.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odd choice for a name.I reckon it will be a league with no limits on the number of foreign players.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1458 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barragan View Post
    So, they are ready to take losses?

How long will this process take?
    Well yeah I imagine so.

This was the first year of the BBL where CA actually got a monetary return for their investment though CA did deliberately avoid private ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Well yeah I imagine so.

This was the first year of the BBL where CA actually got a monetary return for their investment though CA did deliberately avoid private ownership.
    Good luck to SA, but don't see a market to sustain franchise cricket.

Don't see the fan base increasing either because the problem is funding at grassroots level and not the actual attraction to the game, otherwise SA being no. 1 and dominating would have raised the profile of the game more than anything else.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Looks like another champions league with new name.

Tum mujhe bhaga sako aisa ho nahi sakta aur tum mere begair bhaago yeh main hone nahi dunga - Viru

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    New Delhi, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    516 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Also hoping players from Namibia, Kenya & Uganda are included as local players. Can be useful in making the league popular in those countries too

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2027 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Don't they already have the Ram Slam? We gonna start seeing boards push out two t20 leagues a year now lol

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    697 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    CSA PRESIDENT EXCITED BY BIG NAME INTERNATIONAL PLAYERS, PARTICIPATING IN SOUTH AFRICAN #T20 GLOBAL DESTINATION LEAGUE

Monday, 06 February 2017

CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA (CSA) President, Chris Nenzani, today welcomed the prospect of South African fans being able to see their Proteas heroes as well as a significant number of the world’s global stars in action in the inaugural edition of its new #T20 Global Destination League, debuting later this year.

“This is truly a win-win situation for all the stakeholders in South African cricket,” commented Mr. Nenzani.

“It has now been 8 years since we last hosted a major ICC tournament. In the intervening years, our fans have only been able to see the world’s best players during bi-lateral tours. With this new #T20 Global Destination League, we present an opportunity for these players to be seen in South Africa on an annual basis.” added Nenzani.

“We are excited to see our star Protea players in action with all Protea players available to play in the tournament. Eight star South African players will be pre-assigned to each of the teams. There will be over 120 participating players with over 80 spots for South Africans. In addition, this tournament will reach its crescendo at the start of the summer holiday season which will make it particularly attractive to our youth.

“It has also become a trend for the franchises in these competitions to appoint past icons to their coaching staff, and this will have further benefits for the game. The opportunity is there for our own players and coaches to interact with the best, and this has particular significance for those of our players who have yet to play international cricket to test their ability at a very significant level.

“Our tournament has now become a reality and it is something we can embrace with a sense of excitement and enthusiasm. I would like to commend our Chief Executive, Haroon Lorgat, and his team for the outstanding manner in which they have done the ground work to make this all possible,” Nenzani concluded.

The process for securing international players will be closely monitored to ensure proper procedures are followed and NOCs are received by the respective home Boards.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck getting star players in Nov/Dec when everyone and their mother will be playing either international cricket or all the other T20 leagues on offer.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I have always enjoyed watching SA domestic cricket, would love to see a T20 league from SA.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish South Africa all the success with this league but I do wonder how much more can be squeezed out of Cricket and in particular T20's.

There's already far too much cricket being played what with International matches and different T20 leagues in the world and now we have another league to add to it.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Good initiative. All these leagues make international T20s redundant. Is there even a point? Maybe keep the WT20 but scrap all the bilaterals and instead dedicate a month in the calender to these leagues.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The simple problem that they cant get away from is that the local black players have to be selected and bar the few decent ones most are not the quality that people will pay to watch. For all the talk, cricket holds little appeal to the majority population and the Whites love their rugby more than their cricket.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like just another run of the mill league but why the weird name which suggests something else. lol its like a kid you know who tries too hard and makes a fool of himself.

Will be good for SA cricket though if its successful, hopefully they allow players from Zimbabwe, Namibia as well to promote cricket there. All in all t20 leagues are the future, like it or not and ICC better plan their ODI/Test league etc with these leagues in mind. Or we could be heading for an ugly clash in future.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    Good initiative. All these leagues make international T20s redundant. Is there even a point? Maybe keep the WT20 but scrap all the bilaterals and instead dedicate a month in the calender to these leagues.
    T20 internationals still print money for the countries, so no chance of them going away soon. I like the current staggered format of T20 leagues since there is simply not enough star talent to go around if all leagues took place in the same month.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk23 View Post
    T20 internationals still print money for the countries, so no chance of them going away soon. I like the current staggered format of T20 leagues since there is simply not enough star talent to go around if all leagues took place in the same month.
    It would be good to see different T20 teams competing with each other for the available players. I would love a month where these leagues play out and then another month where the best four teams from each league compete among themselves in a Champions League format.

Then the remaining ten months of the year can be focused on test and ODI cricket.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Cricket South Africa’s #T20 Global Destination League (GDL) is taking shape as it approaches the last week to receive Expressions of Interest from bidders wishing to own a team.

While there is notable excitement around the world and plenty of mystery surrounding who will be the first eight team owners, the Protea players currently touring New Zealand are also starting to feel the buzz of a new dawn in South African cricket later this year.

South Africa's premier limited-overs opening batsman, Hashim Amla, will be among the star attractions in the inaugural #T20 Global Destination League and he is excited to be a part of history by being among the first to play in this League.

“It’s massive,” Amla said. “The #T20 GDL has enormous potential and will change the face of South African domestic T20 cricket. We have been longing for a big League of our own to showcase the talent, facilities and beauty of South Africa.”

Amla had an inviting message for potential owners and participants, both locally and internationally.

“South Africa is one of the most beautiful countries in the world - we have great weather, beautiful tourist attractions and cuisine and we have proven to be warm hosts. We are also lucky to be in a great time zone that would attract huge viewership as we suit most of the cricket world.

Owners, potential investors and players will be getting involved in a League that has every reason to succeed,” he added.

The prospect of having some of the best and biggest names in international cricket playing in the League has also caught the attention of the classy batsman.

“We have great talent in South Africa and for our local players to rub shoulders and play with some of the best T20 players in the world can only be good for them,” concluded Amla.
    Last edited by MenInG; 22nd February 2017 at 15:17.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1067 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Will this league replace the Ram Slam?

Why does SA need another league when they already have one.

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandiasza View Post
    To everyone confused, you're not alone.

I have no idea. It might be invitational sides going by this: "by creating a global platform for the best-in-class to perform and showcase their talent to a global audience".

That's the problem with modern meaningless buzzwords, I suppose.
    Wasn't the Champions League T20, the global T20 league??

It fizzled out bad

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    How many more leagues before cricket says goodbye to this world?

Tum mujhe bhaga sako aisa ho nahi sakta aur tum mere begair bhaago yeh main hone nahi dunga - Viru

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering where is the window for all these leagues in the international calendar. Eventually some of the leagues even will overlap. Then players will have to take a decision.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    dec-jan for bbl
    feb for psl
    apr-may for ipl
    jun-jul for (proposed english league)
    jul-aug for cpl
    oct-nov for gdl
    nov-dec for bpl

now if new zealand and sri lanka can start their own leagues in such a way that we get to watch one domestic league every single month.

yay for cricket.

sawaal ye ni k ap ko kyun nikaala, sawaal ye k ap aaye kaisay.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man i want champions league T20 back

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1067 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekcirc View Post
    Wasn't the Champions League T20, the global T20 league??

It fizzled out bad
    Yeah because there were 6 IPL sides in it

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Republic of Wadiya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    CSA’s #T20 GDL receives submissions of interest from 10 countries

Maximum EOIs received from South Africa and India

T20 Global Destination League search for Franchise Team Owners moves into second stage

As the next stage in the search for Franchise Team Owners in the #T20 Global Destination League unfolds, Cricket South Africa’s (CSA) Chief Executive, Haroon Lorgat expressed his delight after observing the global interest shown by potential owners to be a part of the historic new South African #T20 Global Destination League.

More than 150 Expressions of Interest were received by the time Friday’s deadline expired.

While there was significant interest shown from the UK, USA and the UAE, the majority of interest emanated from South Africa with 39% and India with 35% of the expressions received.

“We are very encouraged by the extent of the interest shown by potential team owners from South Africa and the rest of the world,” said Lorgat.

“We will now progress to the next stage where we will receive proposals to a tender from potential owners and then narrow down our search to a shortlist and then finally decide the eight team owners.”

Alongside the massive interest we have received from prospective team owners, I am also delighted by the interest we are receiving from star players from across the world who want to play in what will be the best #T20 Global Destination League in the world,” added Lorgat

All persons who have submitted Expressions of Interests will be contacted to acquire Tender Documents to proceed with the next stage of submitting their proposals. Interested persons will have until 15 April 2017 to submit their bids to own one of the eight City based teams.

Lorgat also confirmed that preparations in all other aspects of the League are fully underway.

“We are presently working on designing the official name and logo for the tournament and alongside this we will secure the best available international players to join our own Proteas and domestic stars, Lorgat concluded.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This doesn't really mean anything till the teams and the players are finalized.

Personally I think the only way for this tournament to survive, specially in Nov/Dec is if it is a best vs best, which will be near impossible with the amount of cricket being played at that time of the year. Why would any foreign company pay millions in order to play 7 local players?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA (CSA) today opened its register to receive applications from South African and foreign players interested in participating in its #T20 Global Destination League. The inaugural edition of the League will run in the last quarter of 2017 with the grand finale slated for December 16.

A foreign player is defined as a player who is not qualified to play for the South Africa national team. He must be either a current or former international quality player. In the case of the latter he must be a player with a current high profile in the T20 format.

A South African player is one who is eligible to represent the South African national team and is currently playing either franchise or semi-professional cricket in and for South Africa.

“In addition to our own superstars, we have already secured an enviable list of eight marquee international players,” commented CSA Chief Executive, Haroon Lorgat

In due course, eight marquee Protea players will be allocated to the franchises with each being assigned, as far as possible, to geographical locations associated with their careers. The same number of foreign marquee players will also be allocated to a franchise team in the first year. The rest of the players, which must include two rookies per squad, will enter a player draft system.

“The time is now right for us to register other players who would like to participate in our League.

“There will be eight franchise teams participating in the #T20 Global Destination League and each will be allowed a maximum of four foreign defined players in their 17-man squad.

“The interest in our new league has been simply amazing and we are confident of staging one of the best T20 professional leagues in the world.” concluded Mr. Lorgat.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, wonder if that definition of local players is deliberately designed to exclude kolpaks or not (even if they return to play domestic cricket in SA).

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yawn.... Another attempt of putting lipstick on a pig aka doing exactly what everyone else is doing. I was hoping it would be a short, best vs best tourney but it seems to be a rebranding of the Ram Slam.

November/December is also a very busy part of the international schedule so it remains to be seen who they can really attract with a lot of players having international commitments. I also wonder how our Bangladeshi posters feel with the timing of this league colliding with the BPL.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Amla, de Villiers, Steyn, du Plessis, Duminy, Rabada, de Kock and Miller/Philander/Morkel will be the "marquee" South African stars. Tahir should be one but not sure if they would want a former Pakistani domestic player being the face of a team.

Hoping to see Amir, Junaid, Riaz and Hassan all playing in this league. Will give them some experience of bowling in such conditions and will be fun to see how well they compete with the South African pacers.

Gayle will probably get another million dollar contract to hit a couple of sixes and dance around. Guy is over the hill yet his reputation hasn't been hurt one bit.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For "tamasha", "pajama" and so many other derogatory terms there sure is so much interest in T20 leagues. Something does not add up. Maybe old man's cricket is dying.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA (CSA) announced today that all 11 international accredited venues in South Africa will be in the running to become a host city venue for bidders seeking to own one of the eight City-based franchise teams on offer.

The inaugural edition of the League kicks off in November with December 16 set down to be the permanent date for the final every year.

The prospectus sent to prospective bidders lists all 11 venues available as a team base. These are: Boland Park, Buffalo Park, Diamond Oval, Kingsmead, Mangaung Oval, Newlands, Senwes Park, SuperSport Park, St. George’s Park, Wanderers Stadium and Willowmoore Park.

“We are thrilled with the responses we are receiving from prospective team owners. No doubt this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for both bidder and city,” commented CSA Chief Executive, Haroon Lorgat.

“Our new #T20 Global Destination League is aiming to create city rivalry across the country as we look to attract new audiences, especially the youth and families.

“While the level of private investment we expect will be new to South African sport, we are also very interested in the level of expertise that owners will bring to all levels of the game in South Africa.

“The eventual location of these franchises will be up to the bidders and the cities who see the opportunities to generate brand value and economic activity through the league.” concluded Mr. Lorgat.

In the event of more than one bidder seeking the same venue, an evaluation committee will assess the merits, including price, of the competing proposals.

The process of acquiring team ownership is presently underway with the closing date for bidder proposals being 28 April 2017.
    Last edited by MenInG; 10th April 2017 at 10:15.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a travel agency.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish them success.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now... if only the ICC can do such planning in running, strategizing, marketing and promoting test cricket! All these T20 leagues have well laid out plans and run things very well. The least the ICC can do is take a page out of this and try to do the same for test cricket.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USofA View Post
    Now... if only the ICC can do such planning in running, strategizing, marketing and promoting test cricket! All these T20 leagues have well laid out plans and run things very well. The least the ICC can do is take a page out of this and try to do the same for test cricket.
    They're trying, they've just got to hope the BCB/ZC/SLC (although the last of which is almost a guarentee) don't give in to getting paid off by the BCCI for the upcoming vote.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    They're trying, they've just got to hope the BCB/ZC/SLC (although the last of which is almost a guarentee) don't give in to getting paid off by the BCCI for the upcoming vote.
    You can add WI to the list, also CSA is only an arm twist away from voting with the BCCI.

But ICC themselves are to be blamed. They also opt for th easy money and lick BCCI's boots.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ph_11 View Post
    For "tamasha", "pajama" and so many other derogatory terms there sure is so much interest in T20 leagues. Something does not add up. Maybe old man's cricket is dying.
    I think T20 leagues will take over International cricket slowly and we will see teams playing each other only after 4 years for a world cup. Test cricket is surely going to die in few years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "This business that it's 'up to Misbah' whether he wants to play or not – that's rubbish - it's up to the selectors," Chappell said.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA ANNOUNCES INTERNATIONAL MARQUEE PLAYERS FOR THE NEW #T20 GLOBAL DESTINATION LEAGUE

Thursday, 13 April 2017

CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA (CSA) today named the eight international marquee players who will be representing the various franchises in the first two years of the #T20 Global Destination League which gets underway later this year.

The eight international marquee players will be entered into a mini-draft with the highest bidding franchise owner having first pick and the rest following the same process. Franchise owners will be asked to consider the fact that some of these players, by virtue of having played for some years in South Africa, already hold strong ties to certain cities in South Africa.

Each franchise team will also be allocated a Proteas marquee player.

The marquee international players who have all agreed playing league contracts with CSA are:

1) Dwayne Bravo (West Indies)
    2) Chris Gayle (West Indies)
    3) Lasith Malinga (Sri Lanka)
    4) Brendon McCullum (New Zealand)
    5) Eoin Morgan (England)
    6) Kevin Pietersen (England)
    7) Kieron Pollard (West Indies)
    8) Jason Roy (England)

“We are thrilled by the calibre of the top eight international players we have lined up to participate in our new #T20 League, commented CSA Chief Executive, Haroon Lorgat. “They are all stars in their own right and will add great value to the franchise teams they will represent.

“This top quality list of players will set a high standard for our tournament. With each one of them a household name in the world of cricket, we can certainly look forward to some enthralling contests that will grip the imagination of fans in South Africa and around the globe.

“Coming from four different continents these players confirm the global interest we have already seen. No doubt this will grow as other international stars register their interest to participate in our new #T20 League.”

“The high level of interest from players and sponsors to participate in our league is proof of the great attraction of South Africa as a global destination. This is indeed very exciting for the country,” added Mr. Lorgat.

Kevin Pietersen commented: “I am delighted to have signed for the new Global Destination T20 tournament in South Africa. South Africa, as everyone knows, is very close to my heart. So being a part of something innovative in their cricketing structure really excites me. I am sure the public will support this wonderful creation which will showcase a lot of the world’s best players.”

Chris Gayle commented: “I look forward to returning to South Africa as I have very happy memories of my time there. This included scoring the first ever century in T20 International cricket when the inaugural ICC World Twenty20 was held in South Africa in 2007.”

Brendon McCullum commented: “I very much enjoy the conditions in South Africa and it was an easy decision to make myself available for this tournament. I enjoy the way South Africans play the game and the way their fans interact with the players as well.”
    Last edited by MenInG; 13th April 2017 at 14:23.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    As expected, Gayle gets one of the biggest paychecks because of his reputation and dancing skills, rather than current performance.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL Roy and Pietersen are the only worthy players on that list imo

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    BANGLORE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA ANNOUNCES INTERNATIONAL MARQUEE PLAYERS FOR THE NEW #T20 GLOBAL DESTINATION LEAGUE

Thursday, 13 April 2017

CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA (CSA) today named the eight international marquee players who will be representing the various franchises in the first two years of the #T20 Global Destination League which gets underway later this year.

The eight international marquee players will be entered into a mini-draft with the highest bidding franchise owner having first pick and the rest following the same process. Franchise owners will be asked to consider the fact that some of these players, by virtue of having played for some years in South Africa, already hold strong ties to certain cities in South Africa.

Each franchise team will also be allocated a Proteas marquee player.

The marquee international players who have all agreed playing league contracts with CSA are:

1) Dwayne Bravo (West Indies)
    2) Chris Gayle (West Indies)
    3) Lasith Malinga (Sri Lanka)
    4) Brendon McCullum (New Zealand)
    5) Eoin Morgan (England)
    6) Kevin Pietersen (England)
    7) Kieron Pollard (West Indies)
    8) Jason Roy (England)

“We are thrilled by the calibre of the top eight international players we have lined up to participate in our new #T20 League, commented CSA Chief Executive, Haroon Lorgat. “They are all stars in their own right and will add great value to the franchise teams they will represent.

“This top quality list of players will set a high standard for our tournament. With each one of them a household name in the world of cricket, we can certainly look forward to some enthralling contests that will grip the imagination of fans in South Africa and around the globe.

“Coming from four different continents these players confirm the global interest we have already seen. No doubt this will grow as other international stars register their interest to participate in our new #T20 League.”

“The high level of interest from players and sponsors to participate in our league is proof of the great attraction of South Africa as a global destination. This is indeed very exciting for the country,” added Mr. Lorgat.

Kevin Pietersen commented: “I am delighted to have signed for the new Global Destination T20 tournament in South Africa. South Africa, as everyone knows, is very close to my heart. So being a part of something innovative in their cricketing structure really excites me. I am sure the public will support this wonderful creation which will showcase a lot of the world’s best players.”

Chris Gayle commented: “I look forward to returning to South Africa as I have very happy memories of my time there. This included scoring the first ever century in T20 International cricket when the inaugural ICC World Twenty20 was held in South Africa in 2007.”

Brendon McCullum commented: “I very much enjoy the conditions in South Africa and it was an easy decision to make myself available for this tournament. I enjoy the way South Africans play the game and the way their fans interact with the players as well.”
    why no Afridi?
    did they forgot his 158meter six?

To hell with circumstances. I create opportunities.
    -Bruce Lee

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA (CSA) today announced the eight marquee Protea players who will be representing the various franchises in the first two editions of the new #T20 Global Destination League which gets underway later this year. This follows the announcement last week of the eight marquee foreign international players.

Each marquee Protea player will be allocated to a new franchise team based in the city he has either been historically associated with or a city with which he can build a strong association.

The marquee Protea players are:

1) Hashim Amla

2) Quinton de Kock

3) AB de Villiers

4) JP Duminy

5) Faf du Plessis

6) David Miller

7) Kagiso Rabada

8) Imran Tahir

“The selection of our own South African marquee players has been very exciting,” commented CSA Chief Executive, Haroon Lorgat. “And it will be even more exciting when we engage fans to help us to allocate the “hometown hero” to each franchise team.
    “This announcement is another major step towards establishing our new T20 League in South Africa.

“We must not understate the world-class quality of our own players. They are household names across the world and our fans in South Africa will finally get the chance to see them compete against one another at home.

"Together with the international marquee players announced last week, the Protea stars will add great value to the new franchise teams they will represent,” concluded Mr. Lorgat.

Proteas Test and T20 captain Faf du Plessis said: "It is a great feeling to be named amongst the eight marquee players. These are some of the best players in the world. Playing against them in the new #T20 Global Destination League will be a different challenge and one I look forward to. It will be fun and at the same time very competitive because we know each other so well. I am really looking forward to it."

Proteas One-Day skipper AB de Villiers was also proud to make the list, saying: "I'm honoured to be part of this list and cannot wait for the competition to get going. It's amazing to think that the best in the world are going to be here on our shores. Looking at the international names, they are individuals that have changed the landscape of T20 cricket and I look forward to featuring in the league."

Young Proteas fast bowler Kagiso Rabada added: “I am overwhelmed to have been named a marquee player. I still cannot believe it and l think it will only hit home as the competition gets close. I look forward to leading by example in the #T20 Global Destination League. It is an opportunity for every young South African cricketer to put his name on the world map. Just thinking of it excites me.”

As announced last week, each franchise team will also be allocated an international marquee player. This means that each team will start with two marquee players named in their 17-man squad. The rest of the squad will be assembled by the team owners and coach in a player draft system.

All players wishing to participate in the #T20 League are required to register their interest by e-mailing the template application form available on the CSA website to t20players@cricket.co.za before 31 May 2017.

The process of acquiring team ownership is presently underway with the closing date for bidder proposals being 28 April 2017.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any Pak player in the draft up till now?

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wishful thinking on your part.

If that is to happen, the leagues need to have 6 to 7 months minimum.

Even the status quo is efficient because specialists can play all the leagues and people who like T20 have action all the time.

I know eradicating T20 from the calendar is your wish, but it isn't realistic that 90% of the calendar will be T20 free.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketAnalyst View Post
    Wishful thinking on your part.

If that is to happen, the leagues need to have 6 to 7 months minimum.

Even the status quo is efficient because specialists can play all the leagues and people who like T20 have action all the time.

I know eradicating T20 from the calendar is your wish, but it isn't realistic that 90% of the calendar will be T20 free.
    I don't have any issue with the T20 format. Especially looking forward to this league and will watch at least a few matches. I just don't understand the relevance of international T20s other than the WT20 in the presence of so many T20 leagues.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't have any issue with the T20 format. Especially looking forward to this league and will watch at least a few matches. I just don't understand the relevance of international T20s other than the WT20 in the presence of so many T20 leagues.
    It's a fair point. I think all bilaterals (including Test) suffer from this same problem. It's a very fair criticism and I agree with it. Barring a few rivalries: India-Pak, England-Aus and now India-Aus, there just isn't all that much of a context or excitement to any other bilateral cricket. Bilateral friendly isn't a very good format for any sport.

I think everyone can see the difference here between the support Pakistan gets in a tournament and in bilateral although it's a Pakistani forum and obviously people care about the team in either case.

Personally, I think instead of bilateral T20 there should be every 2 years, a T20 tournament in IPL format featuring Top 8 countries. It would get a lot of viewership and interest, and the time consumption would be around the same as compared with now. Replace the T20 WC with this and it would be an improvement without anyone really complaining.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes when you are at work and you just dont want to be there, you find all possible means to get distracted. So I was at CSA website and the invitation to foreign players application form for the "New Gloabl T20 League' states that there will be just 32 foreign players and 4 players per squad! Irony clearly died a thousand deaths.

4 players per squad of 17 contracted players which means with 8 marquee players already selected, there are just 9 more slots. So calm down folks, this is not as global as it sounds!

If he bowls with a full sleeve and is an off-spinner, rest assured he chucks. Amen

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redmaverik84 View Post
    Sometimes when you are at work and you just dont want to be there, you find all possible means to get distracted. So I was at CSA website and the invitation to foreign players application form for the "New Gloabl T20 League' states that there will be just 32 foreign players and 4 players per squad! Irony clearly died a thousand deaths.

4 players per squad of 17 contracted players which means with 8 marquee players already selected, there are just 9 more slots. So calm down folks, this is not as global as it sounds!
    32-8 = 24 more foreign player slots?

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    32-8 = 24 more foreign player slots?
    Yes! My bad... But that's still not a very good number. At this rate, you will find most of Australia, England and a few WI/Pak/NZ players, not any more.

If he bowls with a full sleeve and is an off-spinner, rest assured he chucks. Amen

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketAnalyst View Post
    It's a fair point. I think all bilaterals (including Test) suffer from this same problem. It's a very fair criticism and I agree with it. Barring a few rivalries: India-Pak, England-Aus and now India-Aus, there just isn't all that much of a context or excitement to any other bilateral cricket. Bilateral friendly isn't a very good format for any sport.

I think everyone can see the difference here between the support Pakistan gets in a tournament and in bilateral although it's a Pakistani forum and obviously people care about the team in either case.

Personally, I think instead of bilateral T20 there should be every 2 years, a T20 tournament in IPL format featuring Top 8 countries. It would get a lot of viewership and interest, and the time consumption would be around the same as compared with now. Replace the T20 WC with this and it would be an improvement without anyone really complaining.
    Tests and ODIs do not have similar leagues so bilateral series are effective and memorable. They also have lots of history behind them and people still tune in to watch them.

The Champions League T20 was a great move but its a shame it wasn't organized by the ICC and therefore suffered from being a slightly modified IPL. Having the top three teams from the IPL, Big Bash, NatWest, PSL, GDL and maybe a couple from Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and West Indies compete against each other would be good. It would have to be a short tournament to make it work though. This would not only be more of a moneymaker than having one IT20 match every series but would also make the WT20 more special and just as important as the ODI WC.

The leagues should be taking place over the course of 2-3 months in the international calender to ensure that players don't skip out on international duties. Let the leagues compete with each other for the players, ensuring that the best players earn big bucks and even mediocre players find a T20 team somewhere in the world. In the current iteration, guys like Gayle and Malinga will get paid big bucks just to show up while promising young players like Sharjeel and Amir, for example, won't find a team.

So have the leagues operating in February-March or Ma-June (especially because the weather at this time of year is bad throughout the world, and unfit for test matches or ODIs) and then have the Champions League take place in November.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redmaverik84 View Post
    Yes! My bad... But that's still not a very good number. At this rate, you will find most of Australia, England and a few WI/Pak/NZ players, not any more.
    Exactly. You'll see the same Gayles, Pollards and KPs in every single league because they take place one after the other and these guys sign up for every single one. This does not let the franchises build their own brand and identity because one day KP is professing his love for the Knight Riders and the next he is playing for the Qalanders. Imagine if Messi was turning up to play for Barcelona, United, PSG, Bayern, Milan and Al-Ahli in one year.

The ICC needs to regulate these leagues and given them a two month period to operate in. Hold an yearly global tournament where the best teams from each league compete against each other. This will ensure that players get paid better, franchises can build a loyal roster, the same, tired mercenaries don't show up everywhere, lesser known players are allowed to shine and international cricket doesn't suffer.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tests and ODIs do not have similar leagues so bilateral series are effective and memorable. They also have lots of history behind them and people still tune in to watch them.

The Champions League T20 was a great move but its a shame it wasn't organized by the ICC and therefore suffered from being a slightly modified IPL. Having the top three teams from the IPL, Big Bash, NatWest, PSL, GDL and maybe a couple from Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and West Indies compete against each other would be good. It would have to be a short tournament to make it work though. This would not only be more of a moneymaker than having one IT20 match every series but would also make the WT20 more special and just as important as the ODI WC.

The leagues should be taking place over the course of 2-3 months in the international calender to ensure that players don't skip out on international duties. Let the leagues compete with each other for the players, ensuring that the best players earn big bucks and even mediocre players find a T20 team somewhere in the world. In the current iteration, guys like Gayle and Malinga will get paid big bucks just to show up while promising young players like Sharjeel and Amir, for example, won't find a team.

So have the leagues operating in February-March or Ma-June (especially because the weather at this time of year is bad throughout the world, and unfit for test matches or ODIs) and then have the Champions League take place in November.
    Champions League's failure had nothing to do with ipl, no one wanted watch it was the problem, it started out as fair with mostly every t20 league getting a piece in the pie, but the nos kept falling, you can't really run a multi league tournament when no one wants to really watch anyone other than 2 ipl teams, though i do think if played today it might work a lot better as bbl and psl teams seem to have some sort of following atleast.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Must say CSA doing this very nicely and in a well controlled fashion. Expect big things from this league

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Must say CSA doing this very nicely and in a well controlled fashion. Expect big things from this league
    I am not sure I share your enthusiasm. Playing the league in November and December when so much international cricket is going on is not a good omen for this league.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk23 View Post
    I am not sure I share your enthusiasm. Playing the league in November and December when so much international cricket is going on is not a good omen for this league.
    What series is happening in November? This will be done by December because that is when India tour South Africa.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    London, Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ICC CORRUPTION CHIEF ADDRESSES T20GL OWNERS IN DUBAI

Franchise owners of Cricket South Africa’s new T20 Global League (#T20GL) began a two-day workshop in Dubai on Saturday (29 July 2017) with a strong message from guest speaker and International Cricket Council’s Anti-Corruption Unit head, Sir Ronnie Flanagan, over the dangers of corruption the game faces.

The new competition, which is scheduled to be played in November and December, has eight teams and all the owners were in attendance as preparation for the T20 Global League began in earnest.

Flanagan’s focus was on prevention by educating owners and players.

He left the audience with a clear realisation of the responsibility they carry individually and collectively to keep the game clean and corruption free.

“I was delighted to be here with the owners and the others involved in the creation of this new T20 Global League,” ICC Anti-Corruption chief Flanagan said. “I want it to be a wonderful success and I’m certain it will be a wonderful success.

“But one of the biggest dangers that could prevent it from being a success would be corruption creeping in and therefore I think it’s very important that we take steps at this stage to make sure that the wolf of corruption is kept outside the door of this wonderful tournament.

“So I would like to commend Cricket South Africa for taking these steps and for inviting me here at such an early stage so we can set the tone and work together in partnership to make sure we keep this tournament away from corruption.”

“I am really encouraged that the owners are looking at this so early,” Flanagan said.

Flanagan had one key message for the owners, adding: “The most important message that I wanted to deliver is that anti-corruption is a matter for us all.

“If we expect integrity on the field of play, we must have it at all levels of governance of the game. I think that’s the most important thing.”

The passion and the flame is ignited, you can't stop us once we light it!