Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No new information yet?

I don't expect the players to come out and say they are guilty when they know it will pretty much end their career.

Even for a failure to report, if they have left it for a couple of days, they should still get a 2 year ban.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have denied all other charges except failure to report. Now are preparing their response as to why they failed to report.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^They are submitting their response today, I think?

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Oh Sethi and co, your insane need for being to be looked upon as the good guys has come back to bite you in the backside...

Such idiocy

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What is the ban length, if any, for failure to report an approach from a bookie or similar person?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1431 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbar Singh View Post
    What is the ban length, if any, for failure to report an approach from a bookie or similar person?
    For the ICC, it's the same as actually fixing - a mandatory, minimum 5 year ban.

Which is why the failure to charge Brendon McCullum has caused so much anger, given that he gave evidence sworn on oath at Southwark Magistrates Court in London that he waited 2.5 years before reporting an alleged illegal approach by a famous former team-mate (who was found not guilty of the charge).

McCullum's evidence was tantamount to a confession, yet he wasn't even charged. It will be extraordinary if Sharjeel Khan is punished for an offence that McCullum was never even charged for, even after he confessed.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbar Singh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    For the ICC, it's the same as actually fixing - a mandatory, minimum 5 year ban.

Which is why the failure to charge Brendon McCullum has caused so much anger, given that he gave evidence sworn on oath at Southwark Magistrates Court in London that he waited 2.5 years before reporting an alleged illegal approach by a famous former team-mate (who was found not guilty of the charge).

McCullum's evidence was tantamount to a confession, yet he wasn't even charged. It will be extraordinary if Sharjeel Khan is punished for an offence that McCullum was never even charged for, even after he confessed.
    Its 2 years. Not 5.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Junaids What do you think PCB will do? Let off with a fine? Or 6month to year bans?

Also considering the fact that they were given addressed regarding reporting an approach recently, There has to be a really rock solid reason for not reporting. Which I guess could possibly be NJ?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1431 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamzakhalid View Post
    @Junaids What do you think PCB will do? Let off with a fine? Or 6month to year bans?

Also considering the fact that they were given addressed regarding reporting an approach recently, There has to be a really rock solid reason for not reporting. Which I guess could possibly be NJ?
    I think it has to be a very heavy ban to discourage others from doing the same thing.

I'd be happy to see the Amir/Asif/Butt 5 year term used.

The problem is, I wonder when these players were first recruited. I have a horrible feeling that most Asian cricketers are first sucked in around the time they make their domestic debut, for tiny amounts of money.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    congrats @mz123

So we get our sharjeel back, yeah!

If life on earth is temporary...what make you think that your problems are permanent?

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by super hitter View Post
    congrats @mz123

So we get our sharjeel back, yeah!
    why do you think all of pcb's claim is dependent only on players confession?

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    why do you think all of pcb's claim is dependent only on players confession?
    Is your job here just to disagree with posters? I can't believe once upon a time you were my favorite Indian poster here. Haven't you seen enough from the PCB in the final fiasco or the daily polar opposite statements by SK and Sethi to realise what an incompetent board everyone is dealing with?

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PCB have really spoiled reputation of its top players if it's mere failure to report and also due to some specific reason (They might know better why they were unable to report).

And making media circus all around has brought more disgrace and negative popularity to Pakistan.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakpak View Post
    Is your job here just to disagree with posters? I can't believe once upon a time you were my favorite Indian poster here. Haven't you seen enough from the PCB in the final fiasco or the daily polar opposite statements by SK and Sethi to realise what an incompetent board everyone is dealing with?
    I think he has asked a fair question. We dont believe the PCB but we shouldn't believe sharjeel either. Let all the facts after investigation come out. I'm sure most things will get clear.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

The PCB board of directors should fire Sethi for incompetence and lying
    Last edited by srh; 3rd March 2017 at 13:11.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But but but Sethi said Sharjeel had done what the bookies had asked him to do.

Imran Khan was so right, a corrupt person like Sethi cannot be trusted. When the legend speaks you stop everything that you are doing and you LISTEN.

Haters going to hate.

Inzi is the best selector in the world

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    I think he has asked a fair question. We dont believe the PCB but we shouldn't believe sharjeel either. Let all the facts after investigation come out. I'm sure most things will get clear.
    But here we have clear lack of transparency, evidence and contracting statements.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post

Imran Khan was so right, a corrupt person like Sethi cannot be trusted. When the legend speaks you stop everything that you are doing and you LISTEN.

Haters going to hate.

This is why it's important to not to simply put over the convict tag over someone right from the word go.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is everyone jumping on Sethi? Nothing has been proven except that Sharjeel and Latif did have an approach from a bookie and failed to report it.

To me, that is enough justification of their suspension from the PSL. Better safe than sorry.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)

Haters going to hate.

Why do you think he didn't do what the bookies asked him to do? Nothing has been proved yet.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFM View Post
    Why is everyone jumping on Sethi? Nothing has been proven except that Sharjeel and Latif did have an approach from a bookie and failed to report it.

To me, that is enough justification of their suspension from the PSL. Better safe than sorry.
    Sethi lied multiple times that the duo (Sharjeel and Khalid) have confessed to fixing

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Why do you think he didn't do what the bookies asked him to do? Nothing has been proved yet.
    As per Sethi the bookies asked him to block the first two balls he faced from Hasan Ali. Well if somebody had asked me to block the first two balls I wouldn't be hitting a full-blooded cut shot on the first one like Sharjeel did.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    Sethi lied multiple times that the duo (Sharjeel and Khalid) have confessed to fixing
    I wasn't aware of this. I thought all he said was they have concrete proof against the duo. We will see what will transpire but the fact that both have confessed not reporting an apporach is enough for their suspension from the PSL.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wasn't aware of this. I thought all he said was they have concrete proof against the duo. We will see what will transpire but the fact that both have confessed not reporting an apporach is enough for their suspension from the PSL.
    Sethi had said they had confessed to FIXING, not just not reporting an approach.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sethi had said they had confessed to FIXING, not just not reporting an approach.
    But do you agree that not reporting an approach is enough for being suspended from the PSL?

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. The players are in extremely difficult situations when it is a friend/teammate making the offer. It's really hard to turn someone in when you've been playing cricket together for so long. Day in, day out. Players become family.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But do you agree that not reporting an approach is enough for being suspended from the PSL?
    Yes that is correct. However, Sethi became judge, jury, executioner to declare them as fixers and is now getting a slap on his face.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that is correct. However, Sethi became judge, jury, executioner to declare them as fixers and is now getting a slap on his face.
    Like I said, I wasn't aware of Sethi's statements. My point was referring to just the original suspension. All I remember is him telling Alan Wilkins that the PCB do have concrete proof.
    Last edited by AFM; 3rd March 2017 at 13:46.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Sethi did this to scare others from fixing.

He is a clever man and has saved PSL from a PR disaster and made PCB look proactive on fixing with ICC and world. Masterstroke.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said, I wasn't aware of Sethi's statements. My point was referring to just the original suspension. All I remember is him telling Alan Wilkins that the PCB do have concrete proof.
    Concrete of players meeting a guy as fan who is supposedly a bookie. That's it but Sethi took it to another level by saying they gave proof of fixing and mixing up words

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Track_Bully View Post

He is a clever man and has saved PSL from a PR disaster and made PCB look proactive on fixing with ICC and world. Masterstroke.
    But has destroyed the career of the guy in your display.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just to save their face now PCB will try to prove that they were right to suspend Khalid and Sharjeel. Things not looking good for them even if they didn't do spot fixing.

Tum mujhe bhaga sako aisa ho nahi sakta aur tum mere begair bhaago yeh main hone nahi dunga - Viru

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    For me to know and you to find out
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the ICC really needs to look into this "failing to report an approach" crime.

This can be a matter of life and death for the players, all possible aspects must be taken into consideration before passing off such a strict judgement for these players.

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    SW Uk
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im seriously wondering if this is some.pathetic attempty publicity stunt to push the PLS brandwagon more

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Track_Bully View Post

Why would he choose Sharjeel then? Surely there are older layers whose careers are over?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Just to save their face now PCB will try to prove that they were right to suspend Khalid and Sharjeel. Things not looking good for them even if they didn't do spot fixing.
    boards have suspended and banned players like Symonds, Sreesanth for much lesser things. Not a single thing was proved against Sreesanth in any court

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    United States
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait would the consequences be different since PSL isn't an ICC event?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayreddin View Post
    Wait would the consequences be different since PSL isn't an ICC event?
    Kaneria and Sreesanth both got banned for life for fixing in domestic matches.

Tum mujhe bhaga sako aisa ho nahi sakta aur tum mere begair bhaago yeh main hone nahi dunga - Viru

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    United States
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kaneria and Sreesanth both got banned for life for fixing in domestic matches.
    Ok, but provided that Sharjeel and Latif aren't lying, then not reporting a bookie in a non ICC event is subject to the judgement of the PCB correct? Ergo, can the PCB choose whatever punishment they want?

"Our caravan leader is the pride of the world, Mustafa"

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayreddin View Post
    Ok, but provided that Sharjeel and Latif aren't lying, then not reporting a bookie in a non ICC event is subject to the judgement of the PCB correct? Ergo, can the PCB choose whatever punishment they want?
    I think so because BCCI banned Sreesanth and ECB banned Kaneria.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    United States
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think so because BCCI banned Sreesanth and ECB banned Kaneria.
    So there are no minimum sentences for not reporting a bookie under PCB's guidelines? I mostly asking to see if PCB may try to make some exceptions for Sharjeel.

"Our caravan leader is the pride of the world, Mustafa"

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes! Sharjeel might actually get cleared.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Yes! Sharjeel might actually get cleared.
    In failure to report? Heavy fine?

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In failure to report? Heavy fine?
    Not now, but under 4 years.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They both deserve to be punished, whatever the punishment is, and how heavy it is.

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Not now, but under 4 years.
    He can comeback if it's max 6months to year ban

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Only person in trouble I see is Nazam Sethi - the convicted two were already sunk up to nose.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Only person in trouble I see is Nazam Sethi - the convicted two were already sunk up to nose.
    They are submitting response today (Saturday).

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    They both deserve to be punished, whatever the punishment is, and how heavy it is.
    why the duo (Sharjeel and Khalid) get punishment but not Irfan if all 3 of them did the same crime: failure to inform PCB of meeting with a bookie?

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    They are submitting response today (Saturday).
    May be we haven't heard everything, but based on convicted players' response, initial contradictory comments by the 2 senior PCB officials, I think, these 2 players have a good case to take PCB (Sethi) to court. In such cases, there is always a chance of back door negotiations - PCB'll suspend the players for 2/3 matches, fine them heavily & allow them a quick return to PAK colors; in exchange players take their charges off.

Long back, Warne & Mark Waugh was fined handsome amounts & ACB kept house in check.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    May be we haven't heard everything, but based on convicted players' response, initial contradictory comments by the 2 senior PCB officials, I think, these 2 players have a good case to take PCB (Sethi) to court. In such cases, there is always a chance of back door negotiations - PCB'll suspend the players for 2/3 matches, fine them heavily & allow them a quick return to PAK colors; in exchange players take their charges off.

Long back, Warne & Mark Waugh was fined handsome amounts & ACB kept house in check.
    So you don't see them going out long?

Which I sincerely do hope that if they haven't fixed anything they shouldn't be just out.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus I'm a massive Sharjeel fan. I've followed his career from 2011, precisely 3 and half years before he made his International debut. I watched him bat for Pakistan A for the first time on TV and was like wow this guy has some exquisite timing and power. @MMHS

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    So you don't see them going out long?

Which I sincerely do hope that if they haven't fixed anything they shouldn't be just out.
    These players should be judged as per law, if that means ban or fine for whatever they did, they should face that. Or, if they ( or any such convict) can save skin after proper adjudication, it's fine with me.

My point was, as per that tweet, Shethy over cooked their crime, which gives them a chance to negotiate with PCB, which I don't agree.

If the post in that tweet is the fact, then they might not go out for long. "Failing to report" is a ambiguous case - it's really difficult to prove the intention, unless the conversation is recorded. It was not that they were caught after 2 weeks - a lawyer can argue for the reasons why they couldn't report instantly.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PCB board of directors should fire Sethi for incompetence and lying
    I am sorry how is Sethi lying in this argument?, should we take the accused players word as the verdict?. Of-course they will try to save themselves and of-course it's Sethi's job to be 100% focused on rooting out any hint of corruption. Have we not suffered enough?, I think Sethi should be recognized in his efforts to keep PSL corruption free as that's the last thing we need after the security situation depriving the country of Cricket.

Supporting Pakistan Cricket team ALWAYS!!

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think they're gonna find a way out for Sharjeel.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    I think they're gonna find a way out for Sharjeel.
    @Chief Destroyer Hopefully. What do you think?

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @Chief Destroyer Hopefully. What do you think?
    I think I just wrote what I think.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I just wrote what I think.
    I mean how are they going to handle this.

So you're already thinking about Akmal pairing with Sharj? 😂
    Last edited by Hamza_; 3rd March 2017 at 22:15.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I mean how are they going to handle this.

So you're already thinking about Akmal pairing with Sharj? ��
    Just like they have been doing. Slowly clearing his name.

Hopefully, a fit and firing Akmal paired with Sharjeel is a destructive combo. Unless Nauman develops at a rapid pace, that's our best option.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just like they have been doing. Slowly clearing his name.

Hopefully, a fit and firing Akmal paired with Sharjeel is a destructive combo. Unless Nauman develops at a rapid pace, that's our best option.
    Which department is Nauman playing for?

I don't think they are clearing his name, Though he has been totally quiet over the issue.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Which department is Nauman playing for?

I don't think they are clearing his name, Though he has been totally quiet over the issue.
    WAPDA.

They've told him to stay quiet. There's a reason for that. I'm not guaranteeing he gets cleared but it certainly looks as if that's what they are attempting to do.
    Last edited by Chief Destroyer; 3rd March 2017 at 22:33.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WAPDA.

They've told him to stay quiet. There's a reason for that. I'm not guaranteeing he gets cleared but it certainly looks as if that's what they are attempting to do.
    I hope he does get out of this mess. I've followed him from more than 6 years. It feels sad

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    why the duo (Sharjeel and Khalid) get punishment but not Irfan if all 3 of them did the same crime: failure to inform PCB of meeting with a bookie?
    We don't know if Irfan was actually involved, or not, or if his name was merely mentioned to be included with the others. We'll find out soon enough.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if sharjeel gets cleared I don't see his performances going upwards in the near future or atleast 1 yr from the time he's allowed to play. These sort of incidents shatter a player's confidence. Congrats PCB !

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Sharjeel indeed failed to report an approach then ban him for the maximum length possible.

It is shameful some of our cricketers haven't learnt a thing since 2010. What would have happened further on if he hadn't been caught? There's only one sure way we're going to stamp this out from our culture and that's by enforcing the rules to the strictest degree.

Even if Sharjeel was the last superstar we had left (which he isn't), Pakistan cricket benefits far greater from him being made an example of - "this is what will happen if there's any doubts about your professional integrity"

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth criminal View Post
    Even if sharjeel gets cleared I don't see his performances going upwards in the near future or atleast 1 yr from the time he's allowed to play. These sort of incidents shatter a player's confidence. Congrats PCB !
    Why are you blaming PCB and not the player who actually did it? What pathetic attitude is this?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1431 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    Why are you blaming PCB and not the player who actually did it? What pathetic attitude is this?
    I hate agreeing with you, but I do agree with you.

Pakistan, South Africa and New Zealand are going to be cursed with corruption simply because of the limited earning power of their players compared with Aussies, Indians or English players of the same level.

This makes it crucial that they address corruption properly, in terms of vigilance, in terms of charging players and in terms of applying the law properly to guilty players.

I have never really agreed with your "life bans for all" interpretation, simply because I think it makes players likely to cover up their crimes and fixers likely to murder corrupt players and officials. We see by comparing the USA with the UK that harsh sentencing makes rapists more likely to kill their victims to prevent them from testifying against them.

But if there is a set period of 5 years - like the ICC had at the time Amir, Asif and Butt offended - then apply it without any mercy or flexibility.

I'm the first person to say that the Indian Police are the world's best at catching cricket corruption. But the ICC has never really been serious about stamping it out, or even catching offenders. Like other areas of law enforcement, there will need to be plea bargains and amnesties to catch the bad guys.
    Last edited by Junaids; 4th March 2017 at 07:00.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel has submitted his reply.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Who will take the decision now, the PCB or the ISI guy with his team?

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KyoOne View Post
    Who will take the decision now, the PCB or the ISI guy with his team?
    They will form a commission and it will take months

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Republic of Wadiya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Zia, Bari in PCB’s spot-fixing tribunal

The Pakistan Cricket Board have instituted a three-member panel to investigate the spot-fixing scandal which surfaced in the early stages of the Pakistan Super League 2017, comprising a retired judge, a former PCB head and a former captain.

Sharjeel Khan and Khalid Latif, the Islamabad United players, were provisionally suspended for breaching the anti-corruption code of the PCB after meeting a suspicious person linked to an international betting syndicate.

“We have formed a three-man tribunal which will be headed by Justice retired Asghar Haider and its other members will be Tauqir Zia and Wasim Bari,” Shaharyar Khan, the PCB chairman, told Wisden India. “The tribunal will start its proceedings next week.”

Both Sharjeel and Latif were charge-sheeted but they have denied the charges. However, both players confessed to the charges during the anti-corruption investigation in Dubai last month.

They claim that they were pressurised into confessing.

Haider had served as legal adviser of the PCB in the 1990s and is in the know of match-fixing inquiries, having represented the PCB in the Justice Qayyum inquiry between 1998 and 2000.

The commission handed life bans to Salim Malik and Ata ur Rehman, and fined six other players including Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Inzamam-ul-Haq, Mushtaq Ahmed, Saeed Anwar and Akram Raza.

Zia was the PCB chairman between 1999 and 2003 while Bari, also a former captain, served as team manager on the recent tour of Australia.

Link

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    So Sethi was telling the truth after all.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice addition of Tauqir Zia.. Really respect this man...

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But has destroyed the career of the guy in your display.
    Doesnt matter, it is his own responsibility to report an approach... If he is not reporting an approach like Shahzaib did then it indirectly means he is contemplating which is half done for spot fixing...

If amir/asif/butt careers is not taken as an example , these players will never learn anything but be greedy for quick and shortcut money...

This should be dealt strictly and given a heavy punishment to make another example like the spot fixing trio...
    By not doing so, it means they are very lenient when it comes to fixing and also welcome them back to the team to do it again...

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Haters going to hate.

Sethi is corrupt so as S Khan and Shakil!!!!

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafi View Post
    Sethi is corrupt so as S Khan and Shakil!!!!
    why do people call sethi corrupt?

Proximity to power deludes some into thinking they wield it.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fasihulhaq94 View Post
    why do people call sethi corrupt?
    Sethi is like a sponge but SK and Shakil do things sneaky

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafi View Post
    Sethi is like a sponge but SK and Shakil do things sneaky
    wat

Proximity to power deludes some into thinking they wield it.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How can you have pcb appointed tribunal? It should be an independant tribunal without any pcb bias. Azharuddin was let off simply because the tribunal was appointed by the board.