Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"Sharjeel Khan did what he had committed to do to the bookmakers" : Najam Sethi

A top official of the Pakistan Super League (PSL) has confirmed that Pakistani players Sharjeel Khan and Khalid Latif were sent home from the league only after the PCB’s Anti-Corruption Unit caught them red-handed, having made commitments to the spot-fixers.

Najam Sethi, who heads the PSL and is chairman of the PCB’s executive committee, said the ACU had collected enough material against the two but waited till the players played the first match to see whether they would fulfill the commitments they made to the bookies’ syndicate.

“We knew what commitments they had made. Islamabad United played Sharjeel but not Khalid. But when the match was held it was confirmed Sharjeel had done what he had committed to do to the bookmakers,” Sethi disclosed.

Sharjeel was out cheaply after facing a few balls. Sethi said the PCB had faced a difficult situation after the ACU had gathered enough material against the two players to charge sheet them. “We were not sure whether to make the announcement before the PSL began as we feared it could hit the event or after the match but we decided to wait and see what happened in the match and than we sent them back. We were worried how the whole thing could affect the PSL and its reputation but we took a decision which we felt was right,” Sethi said.

He also confirmed there were other players under investigation in the PSL but insisted matters relating to them were not as serious as that of Sharjeel and Khalid. “Let me assure you we have now taken a decision that we will show zero tolerance for corrupt players and there is no question of trying to protect anyone. If any other player is found involved after the investigations no leniency will be shown to him.”

Sethi also clarified that it was the PCB’s ACU, headed by retired colonel Azam, which had led the operation against Sharjeel, Khalid and other players. “Yes the ICC’s ACU was also aware of everything but credit goes to our ACU which followed up the whole issue thoroughly and came up with enough material and evidence to charge sheet the players and send them back home,” he added.

He said there was no question of the PCB acting in haste. The PSL chief also said that when the time was right he would make public more details of the operation and how it was carried out. “Our people are gathering more details which we will share when the time comes and the ICC ACU is also aware of the developments.”

http://www.sportal.co.in/cricket/sha...s-najam-sethi/

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Instagram!

Please also follow PakPassion Sport!

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3450 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel is 100% gone for good, and I'm glad. Khalid might not get a life ban, but any sort of ban at this stage of his career is pretty much a life ban anyway.

Both have played their last matches for Pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I am so sad. Even though he was a flawed player but I was so excited about the potential of his career going forward

Looks like it's over @shaz619

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He was gonna become a Limited Overs great for Pakistan but I'm afraid he's probably done now...

Don't save her
    She don't wanna be saved

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Greed ruins another cricketers career.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ban for life. Let us set the precedent right here. These people should not be allowed to get away after playing with out emotions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "This business that it's 'up to Misbah' whether he wants to play or not – that's rubbish - it's up to the selectors," Chappell said.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    The Eurasian Plate
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    idiot.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Bye bye Sharjeel, have fun at that minimum wage clerk job.

Demons run when a good man goes to war
    GO NAWAZ GO!

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks like he's gone.

Tbh it did kind of sound like someone actually fixed by the choice of words they were sethi was using to describe the situation before, but still was kind of hoping it wasn't the case.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Abudhabi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Sharjeel is 100% gone for good, and I'm glad. Khalid might not get a life ban, but any sort of ban at this stage of his career is pretty much a life ban anyway.

Both have played their last matches for Pakistan.
    Mamoon i think he is onto it since longtime and he is trapped from which he cannot escape as the bookies has too many skeletons of sharjeel which will be revealed if he doesnt obey their orders

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    From the report it seems this was a sting operation ala NOTW 2010.

So did Sharjeel and Khalid actually fix for real bookies for money or were they caught in a sting operation like the trio?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3450 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drreddymd View Post
    Mamoon i think he is onto it since longtime and he is trapped from which he cannot escape as the bookies has too many skeletons of sharjeel which will be revealed if he doesnt obey their orders
    Yes pretty much. The blackmailing video that surfaced last year is linked to this as well.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drreddymd View Post
    Someone told me and it makes some sense is that he was fixings rom before his recall to the national team after a surprisingly good showing last PSL. At that point he prolly didn't think he'd be making a return and in such a successful way so fixing seemed good and easy money. But then he wS in their trap already by the time he made a return to national colours. And while he didn't want to fix no more in internationals he didn't have a way out. And when he first started to refuse fixing in games the mafia got on his back and threatened with consequence he came out with that panicked video few months ago. So basically fixing was happening when he wasn't in the team but he got embroiled in it and couldn't get out later even when he wanted to

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Hansie Cronje told the King Commission.

It's money for jam.. why should I refuse it

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3450 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Someone told me and it makes some sense is that he was fixings rom before his recall to the national team after a surprisingly good showing last PSL. At that point he prolly didn't think he'd be making a return and in such a successful way so fixing seemed good and easy money. But then he wS in their trap already by the time he made a return to national colours. And while he didn't want to fix no more in internationals he didn't have a way out. And when he first started to refuse fixing in games the mafia got on his back and threatened with consequence he came out with that panicked video few months ago. So basically fixing was happening when he wasn't in the team but he got embroiled in it and couldn't get out later even when he wanted to
    In hindsight, had he told the PCB that he used to fix in the past and now cannot get out of this mess without their help, he 'might' have managed to avoid a life-ban. Then again, hindsight is a luxury. He probably thought that if he stops fixing now, he won't get caught. Anyhow, good riddance.

Debut
    May 2016
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am still hoping that something extraordinary happens...

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Someone told me and it makes some senose is that he was fixings rom before his recall to the national team after a surprisingly good showing last PSL. At that point he prolly didn't think he'd be making a return and in such a successful way so fixing seemed good and easy money. But then he wS in their trap already by the time he made a return to national colours. And while he didn't want to fix no more in internationals he didn't have a way out. And when he first started to refuse fixing in games the mafia got on his back and threatened with consequence he came out with that panicked video few months ago. So basically fixing was happening when he wasn't in the team but he got embroiled in it and couldn't get out later even when he wanted to
    Well if you put it this way it makes a lot of sense, it seems as if this is what exactly happened...

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Deserved it... They get everything and yet do this - how stupid can they be?

"And [remember] when your Lord proclaimed, 'If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]; but if you deny, indeed, My punishment is severe" - Surah Ibrahim (14:7)

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no. No, no, no! This is tragic.

Why, Sharjeel?

I smash and grab and stash the cash in plastic bags
    With raps that have pizzazz

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    No surprise there, knew it from day one that he was guilty. His career is over now. Time to look for a different profession.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Buy buy idiot. Hope you live a miserable life

Debut
    May 2016
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Let's wait till the whole investigation is complete

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He had everything in front of him, I'm sure he would have got more offers in other t20 leagues and he would have played the test series vs West Indies. Why Sharjeel? Why?

Should be banned for life.

Another one bites the dust.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    I am so sad. Even though he was a flawed player but I was so excited about the potential of his career going forward

Looks like it's over @shaz619
    It makes me want to quit watching cricket, it took a great deal to get past the spot fixing trio but this is too much. Cricket is supposed to be an escape for us beyond all the highs and lows we experience as fans but it's the journey in between the wins and failures which makes supporting Pakistan so unique. He was my favourite limited overs player, I doubt many of us have had such favourites given the performances of players in ODI/T20's but he had immense potential and was such a joy to watch whenever Pak had a bat. I'd stay up until 3-4am here in the UK and when he'd get out I'd go to sleep, now I feel like Sharjeel has put me to sleep for good.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its all over Internet guys , Sharjeel had to play two dot balls for 20 lakh or 2 million , he had to do it of hasan ali's first two balls and he did , Geo was showing those two balls

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    He was gonna become a Limited Overs great for Pakistan but I'm afraid he's probably done now...
    Not again. There is no guarantee that he would have become a great for Pakistan. He is good but I expect some fans to make him the next hayden now that he will be out for sometime.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ban for life.
    Bye bye to a hack.
    Had a good series against Australia and people thought he was the next best thing.

He looked like a lazy cricketer so no surprise he took this offer

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Not again. There is no guarantee that he would have become a great for Pakistan. He is good but I expect some fans to make him the next hayden now that he will be out for sometime.
    He was the best Limited Overs opener in Pakistan comfortably. But if he really did this then I don't care. Ban him

Don't save her
    She don't wanna be saved

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 2010 M Aamir was my favorite player and that time we used to follow Aamir while playing gully cricket and that ban was a total shock.
    Now in 2017 Sharjeel was my favorite player, I have followed Sharjeel's career even before his International Debut, Saw him bat for first time in 2011 against Afghanistan for Pakistan A and thought this guy was one hell of a timer.

I'm just sad, Why on earth would you do such a stupid thing. Totally shocking, I'm out of words really.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In order for an opener to be great FOR Pakistan, he doesn't need to be as good as Hayden or sehwag.
    PPL need to understand that he was replacing hafeez or shezy in Pak team, by Pak standard he would certainly have been great.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greed is a funny thing, nothing really is ever enough. It can tear apart one's integrity to shreds if you let it, which is exactly what Sharjeel did, sadly. Sad state of affairs.

It may hurt losing a potentially good batsman, though it's nothing compared to the embarrassment and regret Sharjeel is hopefully feeling knowing what he threw away for a quick buck.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Delhi, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Another cheater. He should spend life in jail for this. Also should never be allowed to play again. Khalid latif didn't play otherwise he would have done the same. Pathetic from both players. Khalid should also never be allowed to play ever again

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    So depressed.

Amir ******* got their dues and we lost a superstar in the making.

Very sad and devastating.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Every new player in Pakistan is as good as past greats of the game. This hype machine really needs to stop overhyping players. Sharjeel could have ended up like Mathew Hayden or Nasir Jamshed - we just do not know.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Here is Sethi's latest TV interview where he says Sharjel & Khalid have confessed to their crimes:

"We are collaborating with ICC and making our proceedings based on that."

"During the 2010 fixing saga, people in Pakistan blamed the PCB for not acting efficiently and said that the matter wouldn't have been as bad had action been taken at the right time, now people are complaining that we have taken action too early without proper evidence"

"The PCB anti-corruption unit consists of retired ISI officials, and have done their job with proper responsibility, and the proof of this was two people being arrested by the British criminal investigation agencies on this matter today. Even though they were granted bail later, the fact that they were arrested suggests that this is a serious issue and no trivial matter"

"A few players told us about approaches from bookies after which action was taken"

"A charge-sheet will be prepared against both players in the next two days, which will also be released to the public"

"We don't want to destabilize the league. We don't want it to have the fate of the IPL or other leagues, which is why this action was taken"

"Sharjeel & Khalid have confessed to their actions and are now asking for forgiveness, but we will be very strict and take proper action against them this time"

"I was very shocked to hear this news. First a player reported to us about an approach. Even as we were processing this and deciding what to do, we received more information about what was going to happen in the very first game. We then had to make a decision whether to stop this or let the deal happen, so that we could have proper evidence against them"

"Since it was a case of spot fixing and not match fixing, we decided to give the player the benefit of the doubt and let him commit the crime. When the match took place, the player did exactly what was told to him, after which he was called and informed that he was suspended"

"We also have data of their telephone calls, as well as other evidence against these players"

"It was very important to suspend these players. If this wasn't done, the disease would have become more widespread. What we have done is for the benefit of the nation, and the naysayers will realize this once we provide the evidence"

"We have the support of all the franchises, who have given us full license to take action against and suspend any of their players involved in wrongdoing, for the sake of the long term maintenance of the league"

"PCB have never taken action against the wrongdoers before, but now we have a zero tolerance for corruption and we will deal very strictly with these players this time"

"Players like Kumar Sangakarra and Dean Jones have also backed us for our actions and are supporting us in this situation"

"We have shared some information with the ICC and they shared some information with us and both parties have handled the situation very well. For the last four days, all my attention, as well as the attention of our lawyer Salman Naseer and the head of our ACU, ex-ISI official Colonel Azam has been on this matter"

"We will continue our investigation in this matter and we will take action for any information we receive at any stage against any player from Sharjeel, Khalid or anybody else"

"We will ask all the foreign players consent on whether they want to play the final in Lahore on 22nd February, and have another draft based on that, if need be"

"The Army Chief has said that the army will make sure of full security for the PSL final, and I would like to salute him for that statement as the PSL is a national asset"
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 14th February 2017 at 20:09.

You are not a drop in the ocean - You are the entire ocean in a drop
    - Rumi

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahson8 View Post
    Here is Sethi's latest TV interview where he says Sharjel & Khalid have confessed to their crimes.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5...uary-2017_news

We are collaborating with ICC and making our proceedings based on that.

During the 2010 fixing saga, people in Pakistan blamed the PCB for not acting efficiently and said that the matter wouldn't have been as bad had action been taken at the right time, now people are complaining that we have taken action too early without proper evidence

The PCB anti-corruption unit consists of retired ISI officials, and have done their job with proper responsibility, and the proof of this was two people being arrested by the British criminal investigation agencies on this matter today. Even though they were granted bail later, the fact that they were arrested suggests that this is a serious issue and no trivial matter

A few players told us about approaches from bookies after which action was taken

A charge-sheet will be prepared against both players in the next two days, which will also be released to the public

We don't want to destabilize the league. We don't want it to have the fate of the IPL or other leagues, which is why this action was taken

Sharjeel & Khalid have confessed to their actions and are now asking for forgiveness, but we will be very strict and take proper action against them this time

I was very shocked to hear this news. First a player reported to us about an approach. Even as we were processing this and deciding what to do, we received more information about what was going to happen in the very first game. We then had to make a decision whether to stop this or let the deal happen, so that we could have proper evidence against them

Since it was a case of spot fixing and not match fixing, we decided to give the player the benefit of the doubt and let him commit the crime. When the match took place, the player did exactly what was told to him, after which he was called and informed that he was suspended

We also have data of their telephone calls, as well as other evidence against these players

It was very important to suspend these players. If this wasn't done, the disease would have become more widespread. What we have done is for the benefit of the nation, and the naysayers will realize this once we provide the evidence

We have the support of all the franchises, who have given us full license to take action against and suspend any of their players involved in wrongdoing, for the sake of the long term maintenance of the league
    PCB have never taken action against the wrongdoers before, but now we have a zero tolerance for corruption and we will deal very strictly with these players this time

Players like Kumar Sangakarra and Dean Jones have also backed us for our actions and are supporting us in this situation

We have shared some information with the ICC and they shared some information with us and both parties have handled the situation very well. For the last four days, all my attention, as well as the attention of our lawyer Salman Naseer and the head of our ACU, ex-ISI official Colonel Azam has been on this matter

We will continue our investigation in this matter and we will take action for any information we receive at any stage against any player from Sharjeel, Khalid or anybody else

We will ask all the foreign players consent on whether they want to play the final in Lahore on 22nd February, and have another draft based on that, if need be

The Army Chief has said that the army will make sure of full security for the PSL final, and I would like to salute him for that statement as the PSL is a national asset
    No doubt left anymore. I hope he gets a life ban.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    455 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Oh dear. Sharjeel Khan goes down the path of Saleem Malik, Ata-ur-Rehman and the 2010 trio, but unlike the trio its unlikely he'll be granted a way back. Not at international level at least.

Slog has summed it up well. Once you get involved with these mafia types its extremely difficult to escape their clutches without sounding too dramatic. Once they win your trust, and gain access to your career, financial and family life they have the dirt needed to blackmail you into doing what they want.

Its unbelievable given Sharjeel had a Leicestershire deal lined up with further lucrative T20 contracts likely to have come, was playing regularly for the national team and was on an upwards trajectory as far as his batting was concerned, earning a Test debut.

Sharjeel should never have got himself involved with these people, he has only himself to blame and if investigations confirm he has fixed then but PCB has to stand firm and mete out a harsh punishment to protect the integrity of their league. Justice should not have soft corners for talented players, Justice Qayyum's mistake CANNOT be repeated.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    Michigan, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    It makes me want to quit watching cricket, it took a great deal to get past the spot fixing trio but this is too much. Cricket is supposed to be an escape for us beyond all the highs and lows we experience as fans but it's the journey in between the wins and failures which makes supporting Pakistan so unique. He was my favourite limited overs player, I doubt many of us have had such favourites given the performances of players in ODI/T20's but he had immense potential and was such a joy to watch whenever Pak had a bat. I'd stay up until 3-4am here in the UK and when he'd get out I'd go to sleep, now I feel like Sharjeel has put me to sleep for good.
    I don't see why you would quit cricket. I mean its not like this stuff doesn't happen in wrestling. You need to realize nothing in reality is clean. Someone out there is doing it for money. Why quit when you face reality? Why not accept it and move on?

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel is gone, Sethi has said both players have confessed.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    In hindsight, had he told the PCB that he used to fix in the past and now cannot get out of this mess without their help, he 'might' have managed to avoid a life-ban. Then again, hindsight is a luxury. He probably thought that if he stops fixing now, he won't get caught. Anyhow, good riddance.
    He should have gone to the PCB, and together with the ICC/ACU, and the local police and authorities of any countries that the syndicate had presence in, perhaps have played along with the fixers to see how far high up the chain the authorities could identify and trap the fixers. Sharjeel would have come out of it smelling like roses, with all of his past sins forgiven and his blackmailers behind bars.

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule”

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel will go down the John Higgins route.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    Michigan, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was a huge fan of Sharjeel after the Australia series. Even before it I felt he was our only positive star in our ODI team. He looked like a player who was willing to improve his shot selection for the team. Saw many hopes in him for our future. But now I feel nothing for him. I will not accept him as a player no matter how great he was. I feel this same treatment should have been given to Aamir. How can you want a player who has fixed games in the past? I want nothing more than a life ban him. Along with any player who does it in the future. No more mercy!
    Last edited by Zohaib Shah; 14th February 2017 at 20:27.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thats it, i have officially hit depression

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    All that backing for nothing man. So disappointed.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He's admitted it, so ban him for life. A disgraceful act. We can't make the same mistake as we did in 2010. In hindsight Amir,butt,and asif should have been banned for life. PCB must impose life bans on fixers from now on.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    He had agreed to play 2 dot balls is what I heard.

Play 2 dot balls, make a lot of money and throw away your career.

Debut
    May 2016
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can't believe it, I just don't want to accept this...

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3450 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Had Umar Akmal been banned along with Amir in 2010, we would have seen PPers claim that he would have been the next Tendulkar if it wasn't for the ban.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post

If anything, this should discourage the future generation from playing dot balls.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a disappointment, Sharjeel of all people who was ever so improving and finally coming into his own for International Cricket, Throws away a bright career. Utter shock.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Madison, Wi ,US
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now there will be a dot on his career which I hope will never be removed

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had Umar Akmal been banned along with Amir in 2010, we would have seen PPers claim that he would have been the next Tendulkar if it wasn't for the ban.
    @Mamoon this bloke was a genuine potential. Fabulous timer and had already scored against likes of Starc, Also scored big hundreds in domestic unlike Akmal. It's just a terrible week.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    824 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Inna Lillahe........... gone, if the new is true. PCB'll not miss the chance of hanging a scarecrow. Amir is enjoying the early movers advantage - if the incidents exchanged dates, by now SK would have playing for PAK & Amir would have been preparing for his commercial heavy for driving his truck ............. No matter how much or less - if you have taken a penny to do something in a match & end up fulfilling the commitment - you are gone for 5 years, at least.

What happens that, these players start to get involved with token money & then get into a point of no return when they are superstar. So, only option left for them is walking on thin ice & count every day as a bonus - from Azhar to Ashraful, everyone was earning more than the illegal money, but they had no way out.

I think, ICC's judiciary needs to be aligned with criminal prosecution. Match fixing is still considered as a crime in a cricket match, but it's not a crime in judicial court, for that one can't be sentenced to jail terms.

For example, take Azharuddin - he had 15 years of stardom, led India in 3 WCs & he was the highest earning cricketer in IND, probably in world till mid 90s. I read an article by Harsha in Sports-star on Azhar's personal life sometimes in 1998 (when he was called back as Captain) - that man had 3 wardrobes of designer shirts & suits (He didn't wear a shirt twice in a year!!!!), he had over 50 pieces of watch from Patek Philippe to hand made Jackobs; over 100 pairs of shoes, he had a Mercedes, couple of Honda Civic & Accord, a BMW SUV, probably a Volvo; he had an apartment in South Mumbai & a Banglow in Hydrabad (at Banjara hills, I believe?). When, he was banned, he was already a billionaire. That fixing ban didn't cost him any thing, or may be just one Test - he retired on 99 Tests. But, he later became a Lok Sabha MP & he might become an Union Minister, if Congress forms Govt. in future.

But, if we look at the other such big scandals in soccer - Paolo Rossi was sentenced to 2 years imprisonment, at 25. Barnad Tapi was French cabinet Minister when he was accused of fixing with OM (not direct fixing, he paid a lower club to buy a win, so that his team can keep the title charge & keep their 1st XI fresh for CL match) - he was sentenced to 2 years imprisonment, stripped off from his MP status, ousted from his party, 3 years of deprivation of his civic rights (won't be allowed to vote in any public election), and because of that corruption verdict - never to qualify for any National or provincial election in future & OM was demoted to Div 2.

Our Ashraful will be playing league cricket next season & he has his Biriany house running ............ 20 years later, won't be surprised if he is BCB's director or an MP .....

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3450 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamzakhalid View Post
    @Mamoon this bloke was a genuine potential. Fabulous timer and had already scored against likes of Starc, Also scored big hundreds in domestic unlike Akmal. It's just a terrible week.
    Yes, but it takes much, much more to be a great. Pakistan does not produce great players anymore, and it doesn't have much to do talent only. Nonetheless, he was our only modern-day ODI batsman and could have had a very exciting career. 15+ tons at a good average and 100+ SR. Would eventually have cemented his place in Tests as well.

What a shame.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Connecticut
    Runs
    Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another one bites the dust. Now I'm waiting to see the fat man to cry and beg for forgiveness on national tv. What an idiot!

“I've never lost a game I just ran out of time.” Micheal Jordan

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but it takes much, much more to be a great. Pakistan does not produce great players anymore, and it doesn't have much to do talent only. Nonetheless, he was our only modern-day ODI batsman and could have had a very exciting career. 15+ tons at a good average and 100+ SR. Would eventually have cemented his place in Tests as well.

What a shame.
    15+ tons @Avg of atleast 35 and SR of 100+ potentially second best opener after his very own idol Saeed Anwar for Pakistan, But......

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How dumb can somebody get man. Just think about it. This guy was a sure starter in 2 out of the 3 formats and in tests was beginning to getting chances. Add all the match fees he earned from there. Now take into account the PSL contract that he would have received year after year. Plus 70,000 pound deal he had with Leicester for this summer. There was even talk of BBL sides taking interest in them. Then there is the BPL and the CPL.

This guy would have earned ALOT more over the course of 2017-2018 than what was offered for those two no-balls.

This is some next level of stupidity.

Demons run when a good man goes to war
    GO NAWAZ GO!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    How dumb can somebody get man. Just think about it. This guy was a sure starter in 2 out of the 3 formats and in tests was beginning to getting chances. Add all the match fees he earned from there. Now take into account the PSL contract that he would have received year after year. Plus 70,000 pound deal he had with Leicester for this summer. There was even talk of BBL sides taking interest in them. Then there is the BPL and the CPL.

This guy would have earned ALOT more over the course of 2017-2018 than what was offered for those two no-balls.

Add in the Bangldeshi premier league and this potential South African t20 league and you can't even comprehend his stupidity

Debut
    May 2016
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There must be a reason behind this. One can't be that stupid. Let's wait and see what sharjeel has to say on this.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Appears as if the syndicate had him by the balls. Don't cooperate and they will expose his past fixings (probably when he was still a nobody and small time fixing made a bit extra for him), meaning he will get banned anyway. Cooperate and he makes a lot of money, both from fixing and (they would have convinced him) by not being caught.

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule”

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Let's not forget, he's also a centrally contracted player. Man, oh man, he literally had the world at his feet, and he threw it all away. These statements leave not a shadow of doubt that he's fixed and he should now be dealt with severely.

Pakistan is that kid who never studies for his exams but is surprised when he fails.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mz123 View Post
    There must be a reason behind this. One can't be that stupid. Let's wait and see what sharjeel has to say on this.
    If he's fixed, then punish him. No ifs and buts.

Pakistan is that kid who never studies for his exams but is surprised when he fails.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well say what everyone say when they are caught, that they are innocent.Such a shame!

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zohaib Shah View Post
    I don't see why you would quit cricket. I mean its not like this stuff doesn't happen in wrestling. You need to realize nothing in reality is clean. Someone out there is doing it for money. Why quit when you face reality? Why not accept it and move on?
    Wrestling is scripted/fixed entirely much like movies and TV Shows etc or did you think it was real lol @Red Devil what do we have here

Not sure if everyone has grasped that anyone is capable of fixing, playing for Pakistan is an honour and privilege but unfortunately this has been abused so why not accept that and face that reality? Moving on can involve wasting time on things other then cricket

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Learn from this guys. NEVER take short cuts whatsoever....old skeletons will always comeback to bite you in the behind. Live a good and clean life, treat people with respect and kindness, pay your dues, work hard and hope for the best because that breakthrough can come when you least expect it and if it doesn't just be grateful for the position you're in because it could always be so much worse.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Stop defending him. He is guilty. I know why you are defending him because you are worried about our cricket. But in life things like morality are more important than a cricket team. This guy is a disgrace who should be severely punished. I couldn't care less if our ODI rankings goes down even further after losing Sharjeel.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The problem is once you agree and follow through with something as innocuous as playing 2 dot balls the people behind it all can then make the player do whatever they want by offering even more money or threatening to expose the player.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    824 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

It doesn't work that way. Most cases, fixers are forced to do this at point of no return. If SK is proved guilty, I am sure it's not his 1st crime.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel Chapter is closed for good...What a waste, like Amir, he has blocked the way for any other flamboyant player for another 5 years...Now get ready for a brigade of soldiers(who are only going to be good at discipline), with Misbah in Command for another 2/4 years...The side effect of this episode is that we will invest in mature, seeday saday crickets like Azhar, Assad, Gul and matures one like Zulfi(although he was also tempted), there is going to be "extreme vetting" for youngsters before they enter the national team,we are never going to move an inch from 2010 era, comfortably sit at #8 in all formats, atleast no more scandal for another 5/6 years, if anybody would be interested to see the cricket, well if you put 7/8 40 years old, there will be no money left to bet, that's probably best way to stop betting, nuke it, kill the whole dam thing

Both Misbah and SK are happy that there jobs are saved for another tenure...Another sad day for Pakistan Cricket, we never recovered from 2010 debacle, this one and Lahore bombing ensure, Cricket is done and dusted for Good, this will increase the gap even further, we have not grown up since 2010, where as everybody else has gone to a next gen cricket, we are stuck in past...Like our national priorities(Others focus on human development, open and free culture, we are stuck will 1980s Army centric politics, how to use militant as strategic weapons) we have wrong culture and priorities, we are wasting our energies on wrong things, this has not allowed us to develop...

Gap between us and rest of the cricketing world will increase even further, between 1990 to around 2010, we have produced more(or as much as others) exciting young players then anybody else...We were the first one with reverse swing, first one to use leggy as weapon in ODI, using offie in death, yorkers, death bowling we were the king, we could match fire power in batting as well from Anwar/Inzi/MoYo to Razaq/Afridi, but now we don't even have single world class player, nobody wants to watch Misbah and Co play, hell we are bored to death watching these bunch...How long before Cricket will be thing of past?? - There is no hope, like for Country itself...Somehow things always go from bad to worse in Pakistan, no matter how worse they are, there always is further dip, this curve is not bottoming out

If you want to do things that are certain to succeed, you are doing very obvious thing - E Musk

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_KING View Post
    Stop defending him. He is guilty. I know why you are defending him because you are worried about our cricket. But in life things like morality are more important than a cricket team. This guy is a disgrace who should be severely punished. I couldn't care less if our ODI rankings goes down even further after losing Sharjeel.
    Great post. Ban this clown for life

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    824 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    From SK's case (if he is proven guilty), I think ICC has to change their strategy regarding fixing.

Most of these players are part of a syndicate that scouts players at early stages of career & then force them when they are highly marketable. For Sharjeel's case - there are lots of idiots in South Asia & Middle East who'll put millions at stake just for such silly things like 2nd ball dot - 1mn at 1:2; 3rd ball boundary - 2mn at 5:1 odds ... these people do know that the deal might be fixed, but they are addicted to betting. They don't watch cricket, they just bet on it. And, I have seen many such idiots putting money on opposite deal - 5 lac for a six on 3rd ball, 7 lacs for a dot, 10 lacs for any other incident. Net, net few people make millions & they share just few drops of that to the players.

Just like in criminal prosecution, there is a way of catching biggest fish by negotiating with smallest fishes as an witness in exchange of withdrawing charges; I think ICC should declare that anyone disclosing previous such crimes & expose someone/operation will enjoy a clear board from that day. Most of these players are almost blackmailed for previous deals & they are gradually dragged into bigger crimes.

Using questionable players to catch the bigger fish is the only way. Identity of these players will be kept hidden & they'll enjoy their cricket career at every level after that - wheather they'll be picked for national team is a policy issue for individual boards, but the players won't be officially banned.

We have to catch the bookies & king makers, not the pawns. Legalizing betting can solve some problems, but still there'll be people betting illegally & some players will be bought.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    It doesn't work that way. Most cases, fixers are forced to do this at point of no return. If SK is proved guilty, I am sure it's not his 1st crime.
    Yeah, its hard to believe that first message he got was on Feb 8th and he agreed to risk his career on Feb 9th for 2 dot ball and $40K, there got to be more to that story, he would have done something in the past(when he was not so famous or upcoming star)...Most likely they develop bad contacts and habits in domestic Cricket, its sort of like chucking, which was completely unchecked at domestic level, before Pakistan was hit by loss of quite a few high profile players...Fixing is still deep rooted in domestic, probably for very little money(few thousands or lakhs), they can get blackmail in later time, when same players become national stars...

Also, remember that Sharjeel blackmail story last year, I bet that had everything to do with fixing, he had done something in the past, that he cannot get rid off...

Pakistan needs to understand the roots of it, with kind of money available to national stars, its not possible they get lurks into these petty $50k/60K deals, those contacts are from domestic time, they need to clean them first, otherwise you can never create clean cricketers

If you want to do things that are certain to succeed, you are doing very obvious thing - E Musk

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should have reported the approach even if he was guilty of something similar in early part of career. He may have got away with it very easily after he had made a report of an approach, to the board who would have been helpful to him and assisted as he also is a centrally contracted player now and helped catch a bookie.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1418 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    To be honest he really wasn't as good as people here were hyping out. Easy enough player to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad karma man. We should have never let Amir back in the team after doing the same thing as Sharjeel has done. By letting Amir back in, we invited a bad smell and a lack of ethics/morals.

Pakistan has lost potentially a great ODI/T20 opener through their own lack of professionalism by implying cheats can prosper.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    To be honest he really wasn't as good as people here were hyping out. Easy enough player to replace.
    For Pakistan? I don't think so.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Instagram!

Please also follow PakPassion Sport!

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Was the best we had anyways.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    From SK's case (if he is proven guilty), I think ICC has to change their strategy regarding fixing.

Most of these players are part of a syndicate that scouts players at early stages of career & then force them when they are highly marketable. For Sharjeel's case - there are lots of idiots in South Asia & Middle East who'll put millions at stake just for such silly things like 2nd ball dot - 1mn at 1:2; 3rd ball boundary - 2mn at 5:1 odds ... these people do know that the deal might be fixed, but they are addicted to betting. They don't watch cricket, they just bet on it. And, I have seen many such idiots putting money on opposite deal - 5 lac for a six on 3rd ball, 7 lacs for a dot, 10 lacs for any other incident. Net, net few people make millions & they share just few drops of that to the players.

Just like in criminal prosecution, there is a way of catching biggest fish by negotiating with smallest fishes as an witness in exchange of withdrawing charges; I think ICC should declare that anyone disclosing previous such crimes & expose someone/operation will enjoy a clear board from that day. Most of these players are almost blackmailed for previous deals & they are gradually dragged into bigger crimes.

Using questionable players to catch the bigger fish is the only way. Identity of these players will be kept hidden & they'll enjoy their cricket career at every level after that - wheather they'll be picked for national team is a policy issue for individual boards, but the players won't be officially banned.

We have to catch the bookies & king makers, not the pawns. Legalizing betting can solve some problems, but still there'll be people betting illegally & some players will be bought.
    Most effective way to curb this problem is legalize betting or gambling, like it happens in first world, where Illegal betting is so small, that it cannot compete with corporate Casinos. Corporate Casinos have too much stake in white money to do black trade, when money is dried out of market, fixing does not come into play...For example, NBA stars make 10s of millions of dollar a year, there is not enough money in black market to bribe those stars, they don't have that kind of money, they are priced out of market...

Most of this black money is coming from India and Middle East(black market), both places where all gambling is black business...Pakistani bookies don't have sufficient money to even bribe even $50K on these kinds of bet, it has to be money from India and Gulf...If it was white money, they would think twice before indulge into illegal activities...

Just to be clear, betting/gambling is legal and fair trade, fixing is not...Fixing happens mostly in black market, legal gambling corporations loose their licenses if they are found associated with fixing, too risky for them to invest there resources in fixing bets

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Earthrealm
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    big loss for Pakistan, but not as big as the 2010 trio.

I hope Sarfraz and Babar lead us to becoming a good team again, and selectors give chances to new aggressive players.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    San Antonio, TX
    Runs
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He was always a mediocre player who had one good series (vs. Australia) in his career so far.

I would say good riddance - his lack of fitness showed he had a lazy, lackadaisal attitude and hence why he probably fixed.

Good bye and don't let the door hit you on your way out - we have other talented openers waiting to grab their chance.