Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Australia will do better than 4-0 in this Indian tour

Australia have been written off by all and sundry, and everybody expects India to whitewash them four-zip. Some even suggest that India should be disappointed if all four wins aren't innings defeats.

This reminds me of England 2012 all over again, after they had been pounded by Pakistan in the UAE, and then went on to lose a test to Lanka followed by a home series defeat to South Africa. Nobody gave them a chance when they came over for their tour especially after the obliteration in the first test, yet they rallied to come up trumps in the series overall.

Can Australia hope for something similar here? Just like in that England series, they have a couple of gun players in Smith and Warner who can blitz and surprise and may be able to pocket a draw or two, if not a win?

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Was wondering the same, also none of us have an idea about tracks not sure how is everyone is predicting 4-0 ?

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Smith and Warner fail, Aus has no chance of putting up a semi decent score. The rest of the players are totally inept against spin, even Warner to some extent. Smith is basically the ONLY threat to India and I expect him to get out to Jadega more often than not. Jadega has the knack of picking up the important players.

Guys like Marsh, Handscomb and Maddinson will be eat alive by Ashwin.

Aus bowling is largely dependent on Starc, who I have a feeling will break down mid-series. He's too fragile.
    This will be a good test of Hazlewood. However, I don't expect him to do to well with his pace on these dustbowls. His height may benefit him but given the rank turners India prepares, I don't expect him to get too much bounce either.

Their spin department is very ordinary. Lyonn is good but I genuinely don't expect him to do too well on these pitches. Maybe a couple of innings he'll come good but I don't really see a match winning performance in either of the 8 innings he will probably play in. In my opinion, Aus should have taken Zampa because he is one hell of spinner.

So safe to say, India is most likely winning 4-0 and 3-0 at worst.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got to bat first and bat huge!!
    450 aint enough. im talking 600 650 etc if they arent rank turners.

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comparison with 2012 Eng series when we had a batting unit on a decline and had been pounded 0-8 in away series in last 12 months before the series?

Our young test team under Kohli has shown enough resilience in not so spin friendly conditions to keep fighting and ultimately win Tests from virtually no where.

Anything other than a minimum 2-0 win for us should be seen as Aus doing very very well.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post
    If Smith and Warner fail, Aus has no chance of putting up a semi decent score. The rest of the players are totally inept against spin, even Warner to some extent. Smith is basically the ONLY threat to India and I expect him to get out to Jadega more often than not. Jadega has the knack of picking up the important players.

Guys like Marsh, Handscomb and Maddinson will be eat alive by Ashwin.

Aus bowling is largely dependent on Starc, who I have a feeling will break down mid-series. He's too fragile.
    This will be a good test of Hazlewood. However, I don't expect him to do to well with his pace on these dustbowls. His height may benefit him but given the rank turners India prepares, I don't expect him to get too much bounce either.

Their spin department is very ordinary. Lyonn is good but I genuinely don't expect him to do too well on these pitches. Maybe a couple of innings he'll come good but I don't really see a match winning performance in either of the 8 innings he will probably play in. In my opinion, Aus should have taken Zampa because he is one hell of spinner.

So safe to say, India is most likely winning 4-0 and 3-0 at worst.
    Handscomb and Renshaw along with Smith are decent players of spin bowling.

Maddison's been dropped since the second test against Pakistan.

Swenson is a better leggy than Zampa, the latter is incapable of spinning the ball- which is the main purpose of a 'spinner'.

Hazlewood is more than quick enough to trouble batsman in Asian tracks. Bowling between 138-140 kph is fine whilst you are accurate (I think you and I both know how are accurate Hazlewood really is) and he's more than capable of reversing the ball, as well.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am feeling we may win 2-0, but Peter Handscomb will do good for visitors apart from Smith/ Warner.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShoonyaSifar View Post
    Comparison with 2012 Eng series when we had a batting unit on a decline and had been pounded 0-8 in away series in last 12 months before the series?

Our young test team under Kohli has shown enough resilience in not so spin friendly conditions to keep fighting and ultimately win Tests from virtually no where.

Anything other than a minimum 2-0 win for us should be seen as Aus doing very very well.
    Absolutely right! This team is actually capable of doing well even overseas, such is the quality (wait for some tours now)! I think these unexpected nervousness among some fans is actually balancing out the over-confidence by others! We must do well unless rain or extreme flat pitches spoil the party! Even determined South African team (who are historically good travelers to India) couldn't succeed...

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellipsism View Post
    Handscomb and Renshaw along with Smith are decent players of spin bowling.

Maddison's been dropped since the second test against Pakistan.

Swenson is a better leggy than Zampa, the latter is incapable of spinning the ball- which is the main purpose of a 'spinner'.

Hazlewood is more than quick enough to trouble batsman in Asian tracks. Bowling between 138-140 kph is fine whilst you are accurate (I think you and I both know how are accurate Hazlewood really is) and he's more than capable of reversing the ball, as well.
    If you want me to be honest, I haven't seen too much of Swepson apart from a couple of highlights from the BBL. He looks good but not good enough to make his Australia Debut in one of the toughest away tours Australia will play. Most people are saying Australia will be lucky to not lose by an innings. I think that pretty much shows how important and big this series is going to be. Going by Swepson's First class record, he doesn't look like the real demon and he hasn't really lit up the BBL either. I hope he does good but Zampa wouldn't have been a worse choice.

As for Renshaw, he's very new onto the scene too. That 184 vs Pakistan was amazing but lets see how he fares against some spin on very different pitches.

Hazlewood could be lethal if he gets the ball to reverse but the pitches aren't really catered to fast bowling. Another problem is, reverse swing has a lot to do with talent, skill and the ball but also the conditions. Around this time in India, its not going to be very hot or humid which will make it harder for the ball to reverse. The last test, maybe.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    hahahahahah
    @Varun trying for the jynx but Australia have no chance of doing anything.
    @ExpressPacer I don't think Swepson is ready but he's a vastly superior bowler to Zampa (who is club cricket standard)

Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dynamic
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pitches shall be flat and matches will be close. We are not dishing out turners

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Republic of Wadiya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2511 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Looks like someone is feeling the heat

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Bangalore, India (Kochi native)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 of the Venues are First timers. So we have no real idea how those wickets play out in tests.

If the pitches are flat (as in India-Flat not Aussie-flat), i'd expect our spinner's quality to push us to win . But on more seaming decks we too have a good chance of being bundled out ..

And I'm not sold on India's ability to bat out draws unless Kohli and Vijay shut shop well. One positive is that Australia are far worse at batting out draw's than we are. So a series win is expected. But I do expect a shock loss in one test.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyB View Post
    2 of the Venues are First timers. So we have no real idea how those wickets play out in tests.

If the pitches are flat (as in India-Flat not Aussie-flat), i'd expect our spinner's quality to push us to win . But on more seaming decks we too have a good chance of being bundled out ..

And I'm not sold on India's ability to bat out draws unless Kohli and Vijay shut shop well. One positive is that Australia are far worse at batting out draw's than we are. So a series win is expected. But I do expect a shock loss in one test.
    You have first class cricket though.

And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    You have first class cricket though.
    We do but so did but so did all test match venues for England and look how that turned out.The only thing I'm happy about is atleast the Sun would be out but then again that depends on venues.

-Virat Kohli

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    hahahahahah
    @Varun trying for the jynx but Australia have no chance of doing anything.
    @ExpressPacer I don't think Swepson is ready but he's a vastly superior bowler to Zampa (who is club cricket standard)
    Why do you think Zampa is so bad? He looked good at the T20 WC. Then again it was T20 matches.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WC-Passion View Post
    Why do you think Zampa is so bad? He looked good at the T20 WC. Then again it was T20 matches.
    He is fine for limited overs but is completely incapable of troubling batsmen who don't need to score at 8+ runs an over.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He is fine for limited overs but is completely incapable of troubling batsmen who don't need to score at 8+ runs an over.
    His first class average looks horrific, so it makes sense.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Delhi, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    345 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Watching Aussie attitude, they will come back harder as they will play as underdogs. Also they will draw or win one or 2 tests for sure

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    No, Australia will lose all tests in India. They are the worst spin playing country in the world at the moment.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    No, Australia will lose all tests in India. They are the worst spin playing country in the world at the moment.
    I can 100% say for sure that is not the case.
    1. First of all, these 4-0 predictions are putting huge pressure on India. Also since Aus lost 3-0 to SL in SL, many people think 4-0 is a given

2. Aus took SL lightly, but they wont do the same with India. They have already packed off the passengers from the team and have a solid team with ample practice in Dubai on dustbowls.

3. 2 of the 4 tests are on brand new grounds (Pune and Dharmashala). If I was the curator, there would be huge pressure on me to make a decent pitch. A dust bowl like Nagpur can kill their chances of hosting another test, so the home board would be cautious. this tells me that either it would have more than usual grass or would be pancake flat and both are causes for worry

4. Indian batting line up bar Kohli is a real worry tbh and this Aussie bowling line up has 2 of the best seamers in the world.

5. Ashwin is recovering from sports hernia and both Jaddu and him might be overburned.

some of the points I think which we should take into consideration before making blanket statements.

"Don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out in 30 seconds" Neil McCauley, Heat

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EliteCynical View Post
    1. First of all, these 4-0 predictions are putting huge pressure on India. Also since Aus lost 3-0 to SL in SL, many people think 4-0 is a given

2. Aus took SL lightly, but they wont do the same with India. They have already packed off the passengers from the team and have a solid team with ample practice in Dubai on dustbowls.

3. 2 of the 4 tests are on brand new grounds (Pune and Dharmashala). If I was the curator, there would be huge pressure on me to make a decent pitch. A dust bowl like Nagpur can kill their chances of hosting another test, so the home board would be cautious. this tells me that either it would have more than usual grass or would be pancake flat and both are causes for worry

4. Indian batting line up bar Kohli is a real worry tbh and this Aussie bowling line up has 2 of the best seamers in the world.

5. Ashwin is recovering from sports hernia and both Jaddu and him might be overburned.

some of the points I think which we should take into consideration before making blanket statements.
    There are lots of ifs and buts in your post. If SA, NZ, and England could not do better in India despite having better batsmen of spin players, there is no chance of Australia doing better than them.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    There are lots of ifs and buts in your post. If SA, NZ, and England could not do better in India despite having better batsmen of spin players, there is no chance of Australia doing better than them.
    Eng could have done better with those flat tracks if they had better bowling. Aus may do better than Eng if they get similar tracks.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    Eng could have done better with those flat tracks if they had better bowling. Aus may do better than Eng if they get similar tracks.
    Yep. Aussie batters will kill the Indians on those pitches. Aussies can kill the Indian tail easily. I think AUS will win a game and India will win 2 with a draw at B'lore. 2-1 to India

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India will win, but likely not 4-0. 2-0, 3-0 or 3-1 is more likely. Also, that solitary Aus win will be inspired by a Starc or a Hazelwood spell (and supplemented by runs from Smith and Warner) rather anything their no-name spinners might do. Aussie spinners will struggle big time and a few weeks with Monty is not going to solve their problem.

Smith will enhance his reputation if he gets runs. If not, we can dismiss him as another wannabe Ponting -- gets runs everywhere except in India, and hence worthless.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    811 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    The whole build up to this series has been all about fawning and over-rating India.

These Aussies have taken this whole over-rating us to a whole new level. lmao.

Even I am like "chup raho yaar....nazar lag jaye gi"

Let's get on with the game.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post

These Aussies have taken this whole over-rating us to a whole new level. lmao.
    Yes. I miss those days when McGrath would routinely predict a 5-0 win before every Ashes (he was right sometimes . Then ahead of every series he'd name his "target" -- opposition's main batman he'd wow to take out in every innings. It would be someone like Lara or Tendulkar or Atherton. I remember a series in Aus when he did this to Lara. As soon as Lara would walk out to bat, Glenn would start pestering Steve Waugh to give him the ball. He succeeded too most times. IIRC he made Lara his 300th victim after specifically saying before the match that he wants Lara to become his 300th victim. McGrath was relentless.

What a comedown for the Aussies -- they're now trying to manage the pressure by playing the "we are no-hopers" card!
    Last edited by English August; 21st February 2017 at 19:42. Reason: Typo

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Australia will give a good fight but I don't think they will win the series. A 2-0 or 3-1 scoreline is something I wouldn't be suprised at.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3751 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    I think performance-wise, this will be their best Indian tour in a long time. I sense some fatigue in the Indian team, they have played too much Test cricket in a short period of time.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    I think performance-wise, this will be their best Indian tour in a long time. I sense some fatigue in the Indian team, they have played too much Test cricket in a short period of time.
    Depends on how you define long time.

If you want to focus on the most recent, they only have to draw *one* Test to improve on their last series, so the bar is pretty low. If you want to go a bit longer, the Aussie team that toured India in 2000-01 and 2004 was an ATG side, one of best team to play cricket in the history of the game, some would argue*the* greatest. And that team managed a scoreline of 3-3 across two series (and was helped by politicking on the Indian side during the 2004 series). I very much doubt this team would be able to do better than that.

You make good point about fatigue setting in for the Indians. I'm hoping that sheer professionalism Kumble and Kohli have been able to instill over the past 18 months would help overcome that.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most people here think Australia will not lose 4-0 so not a bold prediction either.

BCCI and CA seem to have a cozy relationship of playing flat tracks and having all matches go into the final day.

I expect Australia to draw 2 matches if not better.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks like none of you have seen the pitch. Just saw its pics over twitter and already there are cracks at good length area two days in advance. This pitch is gonna spin for sure and I don't see how Australia is gonna win. I just got certain expectations from Smith and Starc otherwise not expecting much from others

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    811 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by English August View Post
    Yes. I miss those days when McGrath would routinely predict a 5-0 win before every Ashes (he was right sometimes . Then ahead of every series he'd name his "target" -- opposition's main batman he'd wow to take out in every innings. It would be someone like Lara or Tendulkar or Atherton. I remember a series in Aus when he did this to Lara. As soon as Lara would walk out to bat, Glenn would start pestering Steve Waugh to give him the ball. He succeeded too most times. IIRC he made Lara his 300th victim after specifically saying before the match that he wants Lara to become his 300th victim. McGrath was relentless.

What a comedown for the Aussies -- they're now trying to manage the pressure by playing the "we are no-hopers" card!
    Haha...so true.

Is not the Aussies I know.

But in this tour, they have made a serious effort by picking their best options for SC and changing their mindset (you have to stay in the crease) as opposed to previous tours.

So it will be interesting to see how they go.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFern View Post
    Looks like none of you have seen the pitch. Just saw its pics over twitter and already there are cracks at good length area two days in advance. This pitch is gonna spin for sure and I don't see how Australia is gonna win. I just got certain expectations from Smith and Starc otherwise not expecting much from others
    If they roll it immensely, can it go flat?

Cos that's what Indian curators have been doing off late. Rolling it a lot to make the pitch go deadish.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinFern View Post
    Cracks don't mean much, we've seen cracks on all 5 tracks vs Eng & yet only Vizag kept consistently low & that too on the last day. The grass on the surface, whether alive or dead, & how dry the surface is what will make it much more interesting. The red soil pitches always spin, I assume Pune is also red soil, so it could turn out to be Mumbai-esque on the last 2 days or more like Rajkot on the last day, depending on how they've prepared the surface.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is Indian batting a worry you got test match triple centurions who can't get in to the XI

I smash and grab and stash the cash in plastic bags
    With raps that have pizzazz

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantani View Post
    How is Indian batting a worry you got test match triple centurions who can't get in to the XI
    Yeah. One one team triple centurions get droppped and the other team is depending on Shaun Marsh as the great white hope.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Bangalore, India (Kochi native)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, all this negativity from the Aussie ex players , media & neutral observers is frightening.

The Aussies might throw caution to the wind and start playing like CORNERED TIGERS™ and beat us. Much more reverse jinxing is needed !

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If Australia manage to carry any of the 4 tests matches into day 5 it will be an achievement for them on this tour.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Mountains
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't think Aussies should be too negative here. Ashwin's Hernia and flat decks India has served this season means that they do stand a chance. From Australia's perspective, toss will be extremely crucial.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Australia have been written off by all and sundry, and everybody expects India to whitewash them four-zip. Some even suggest that India should be disappointed if all four wins aren't innings defeats.

This reminds me of England 2012 all over again, after they had been pounded by Pakistan in the UAE, and then went on to lose a test to Lanka followed by a home series defeat to South Africa. Nobody gave them a chance when they came over for their tour especially after the obliteration in the first test, yet they rallied to come up trumps in the series overall.

Can Australia hope for something similar here? Just like in that England series, they have a couple of gun players in Smith and Warner who can blitz and surprise and may be able to pocket a draw or two, if not a win?
    I think someone started this exact same thread before England series too. Everyone had written off England long before they arrived in India this time. This is a thread about just making a statement against the expected result and if the improbable happens you can feel like a "Boss" :batman

or maybe you just want an Anti-jinx thread for India

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. One one team triple centurions get droppped and the other team is depending on Shaun Marsh as the great white hope.
    Hey, I love Shaun Marsh, He has carried my IPL team, Kings XI, over the years. Aussies don't respect a great player they got.
    Last edited by Tekcirc; 22nd February 2017 at 11:04.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekcirc View Post
    Hey, I love Shaun Marsh, He has carried my IPL team, Kings XI, over the years. Aussies don't respect a great player they got.
    I'm a big Marsh fan but its the difference in the batting lineups there.

Australia is just Smith and hoping Handscomb and Shaun Marsh do something.

India is finding triple centurions surplus to requirement.

Bowling wise India has the two best bowlers in the world while Australia is depending on Steve O'Keefe, mystery spinner.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Bowling wise India has the two best bowlers in the world while Australia is depending on Steve O'Keefe, mystery spinner.
    Best two home bowlers in the world! Certainly not the best two in the world!

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekcirc View Post
    This series seems like going the 99 India's tour of Australia.

India under the most brilliant batsman Sachin Tendulkar but an ordinary captain travelling to a tour where they were declared dead even before their arrival. Like Sachin, Smith will go hammers and tong but Australia will suffer a predictable loss.
    But they're missing a character like Kapil Dev as coach. I'd say Kapil was probably history's worst coach. His "coaching" involved saying something like to the team - "okay boys, go out there and enjoy your cricket!". That's it.

A brilliant cricketer, but a terrible terrible coach. Outstanding cricketers like him should never become coaches, they can never understand that not every player is as talented as them, and therefore you can't just "go out there and enjoy your cricket" and get a 5-fer.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    598 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think you're underestimating Warner somewhat. I feel he can take the game away from us in a single session if it's flat. Very destructive batsman.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yes, Australia has definitely better bowling than England but the main problem is their batting. Warner was terrible in SL and Smith managed just 1 hundred.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just because australia got whitewashed by both pakistan and sri lanka recently that doesn't mean it will be easy to beat them. We still have to play well and take their 20 wickets.

Tum mujhe bhaga sako aisa ho nahi sakta aur tum mere begair bhaago yeh main hone nahi dunga - Viru

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    But they're missing a character like Kapil Dev as coach. I'd say Kapil was probably history's worst coach. His "coaching" involved saying something like to the team - "okay boys, go out there and enjoy your cricket!". That's it.

A brilliant cricketer, but a terrible terrible coach. Outstanding cricketers like him should never become coaches, they can never understand that not every player is as talented as them, and therefore you can't just "go out there and enjoy your cricket" and get a 5-fer.
    He is an equally terrible commentator.

Tum mujhe bhaga sako aisa ho nahi sakta aur tum mere begair bhaago yeh main hone nahi dunga - Viru

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One should not read too much into it. Yes he scored a 300, and credit to him, it was a good 300, but still Indian opening partership is yet to put together 100 runs in the home season. Pujara loses concentration from time to time, Rahane has a big q mark over playing spin and was poor vs England. After that Ashwin /Saha and Jadeja are ptretty much lottery and would not stand to score many vs Starc!

"Don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out in 30 seconds" Neil McCauley, Heat

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Just because australia got whitewashed by both pakistan and sri lanka recently that doesn't mean it will be easy to beat them. We still have to play well and take their 20 wickets.
    Ofcourse, Ash will be haing nightmares thinking about the mighty australian lineup!

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    One should not read too much into it. Yes he scored a 300, and credit to him, it was a good 300, but still Indian opening partership is yet to put together 100 runs in the home season. Pujara loses concentration from time to time, Rahane has a big q mark over playing spin and was poor vs England. After that Ashwin /Saha and Jadeja are ptretty much lottery and would not stand to score many vs Starc!
    Dude, India has comfortably the best batting lineup in the world. Relax. It takes some doing breaking through that top 5.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    Dude, India has comfortably the best batting lineup in the world. Relax. It takes some doing breaking through that top 5.
    In asia, especially when they are playing against side which doesn't have a good spinner to really challenge them.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Overconfidence and taking australia lightly are the only two things that can stop india from winning this series convincingly. After watching the first session it seems we are waiting for australia to make mistakes.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Overconfidence and taking australia lightly are the only two things that can stop india from winning this series convincingly. After watching the first session it seems we are waiting for australia to make mistakes.
    Agreed. A couple of flukey wickets is the only thing that has ensured that Australia are batting at 165/4. Ashwin in particular is looking toothless, and they're batting slow enough to make sure our bowlers tire and that keeps the draw in the equation.

If this is a sign of things to come, this series can't be good.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ali2220 View Post
    In asia, especially when they are playing against side which doesn't have a good spinner to really challenge them.
    I dont think this batting linup having any trouble even overseas . Last time these guys played outside SC , they where all in a very early stage of their careers , but still we hardly lost a match due to our batting . Pujara is the only one who you could say hasnt done well .

" you don't play for the crowd, you play for your country " - MSD

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Agreed. A couple of flukey wickets is the only thing that has ensured that Australia are batting at 165/4. Ashwin in particular is looking toothless, and they're batting slow enough to make sure our bowlers tire and that keeps the draw in the equation.

If this is a sign of things to come, this series can't be good.
    Aus will be lucky to draw a match . India is a side which should continue to improve , the batting will gradually start dominating at home like we did in the past when the big 4 where around . Aus does not have the skills to take advantage even if we muff up a session or two in these conditions .

" you don't play for the crowd, you play for your country " - MSD

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree with you, personally I think India have an embarrassment of riches in batting at the moment. Maybe these new guys will suck away from home, but they are beastly good at home. The only problem, if at all there can be said there is a problem, is the opener KL Rahul. He seems to be the prototype 'hundred or nothing' man.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3751 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Depends on how you define long time.

If you want to focus on the most recent, they only have to draw *one* Test to improve on their last series, so the bar is pretty low. If you want to go a bit longer, the Aussie team that toured India in 2000-01 and 2004 was an ATG side, one of best team to play cricket in the history of the game, some would argue*the* greatest. And that team managed a scoreline of 3-3 across two series (and was helped by politicking on the Indian side during the 2004 series). I very much doubt this team would be able to do better than that.

You make good point about fatigue setting in for the Indians. I'm hoping that sheer professionalism Kumble and Kohli have been able to instill over the past 18 months would help overcome that.
    By long time, I'm referring to the series after 2004 where Australia had a legendary team. They already have shown a lot of teeth today.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    We are getting destroyed in Pune at the moment.

4-0 to India? In your dreams!
    Last edited by Varun; 24th February 2017 at 06:21.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total destruction!!

-Virat Kohli

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Total destruction!!
    hain - is the match over yet?

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Varuns thread just didn't work

Please allow me to introduce myself: I'm a man of wealth & taste.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    hain - is the match over yet?
    Of India ,its almost over

-Virat Kohli

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree with you, personally I think India have an embarrassment of riches in batting at the moment. Maybe these new guys will suck away from home, but they are beastly good at home. The only problem, if at all there can be said there is a problem, is the opener KL Rahul. He seems to be the prototype 'hundred or nothing' man.
    Hate to say "Told ya", but every word i said has turned true. This test is gone. I think so is the series.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1049 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Hate to say "Told ya", but every word i said has turned true. This test is gone. I think so is the series.
    well its likely this is isnt Australias doing

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    I am guessing you mean India is to blame. Agreed. Pathetic shot by Rahul, the set batsman, who scored 61% of the runs. Once he got out, there was a procession. And the rest of the team is clearly suspect vs good spin which we haven't seen all home season.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Australia have been planning for a long time for O'Keefe to be our lynchpin in Asia.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    what on EARTH!

India brought out their A game against the wrong team.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1049 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Australia have been planning for a long time for O'Keefe to be our lynchpin in Asia.
    well theyve planned before for earlier tours to Asia but the plans didnt come off earlier

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Match is not over. Kohli will chase whatever target is set. He will be on fire.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One meltdown shouldn't shake your confidence in a batting unit that averaged 514 in the first innings in the previous nine tests!

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think India aren't out of this match

They need to stop dropping Steve Smith though

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    I still think India aren't out of this match

They need to stop dropping Steve Smith though
    They also have to overcome the great man Stephen Norman John O'Keefe

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollack View Post
    Match is not over. Kohli will chase whatever target is set. He will be on fire.
    If he does then it will go down in history as perhaps the greatest inninngs ever to be played. It gets very very difficult to bat in the 4th inngs in India that too on a pitch with soo much turn and a SLA bowler.

Sydney Bangalore Manchester Centurion Durban Jo'burg Mohali Colombo Dhaka Adelaide Kolkata

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No one is chasing it. Too many runs in this pitch to be chased here on 4th inning already and some more runs will be there. Aus has this test in bag.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon they should drop Ishant, he does nothing in this side especially since Virat doesn't like to bowl him. Might as well pick Pandya, at least he might slog 15 or 20 runs (more than what Ishant can ever manage) and with the ball I don't think they lose out on much at all swapping Ishant for Pandya.

The alternative is to drop Ishant for Shami and drop Jayant for a sixth batsman. Five bowlers is too many when the skipper only really wants to bowl three of them, so get rid of the complete passenger in Ishant either for a more threatening bowler (Shami), or someone who can be a bit Mitchell Marsh-y (Pandya) - but this would necessitate keeping Jayant around so he can bowl a few overs. Effectively that would be three bowlers plus two part timers

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    earth between north pole and south pole
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They won't be winning more than 1 test!

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one is chasing it. Too many runs in this pitch to be chased here on 4th inning already and some more runs will be there. Aus has this test in bag.
    What's the lead now, 298?

I think India might have say a 20% chance at chasing 360 or less

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    786 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    This tells us nothing. Surely India will destroy Australia in the other games, with Ashwin picking up 40 wickets and Kohli not going on another England-esque failing spree against a good pace attack. Surely they have to, this Australian side got demolished by Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

Surely...

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    786 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tusker View Post
    If he does then it will go down in history as perhaps the greatest inninngs ever to be played. It gets very very difficult to bat in the 4th inngs in India that too on a pitch with soo much turn and a SLA bowler.
    No, it wouldn't be. This is a nothing spin attack that any good player of spin shouldn't be finding too hard to negotiate.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله