Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you rate Inzamam-ul-Haq as Chief Selector?

In the playoff game, when asked about the young players during the interview Inzi said "Shadab Kabir and Hasnain Khan", he does not even know their correct names?

Does Inzi really knows the talented players in the domestic circuit?

He usually only goes to the important matches like a semi final or final of a domestic cup.

He says he listens to the management and captain, but how are they suppose to know the up and coming players in the domestic circiut, they are on the international duty most of the time and don't watch the domestic games.

he seems scared of giving the chances to top performers in the first class as well, and he's afraid of taking the risk and introduce new players in the test side.

Is he really incompetent?

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not knowing the correct names doesn't show incompetence. I don't know how old you are but when Inzi was captain often times he would forget what team changes were made when asked at the toss. Sometimes he would refer to youngsters as "woh jaunsa hai na naya larka"

However, Inzi has been a proper let down and has made some massive howlers. Like persisting with the likes of Sohail, Imran and Rahat in Test team when they aren't even good enough for a gully mohallah side. Inzi has also shown a hesitance to select young batsmen as can be evidenced by the fact that there are reports coming that Kami would be on the plane to the Windies despite the fact that Fakhar Zaman has wiped the floor with Kami. Continued selection of Sohail Tanvir in the T20 side is another example.

Demons run when a good man goes to war

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Not knowing the correct names doesn't show incompetence. I don't know how old you are but when Inzi was captain often times he would forget what team changes were made when asked at the toss. Sometimes he would refer to youngsters as "woh jaunsa hai na naya larka"

However, Inzi has been a proper let down and has made some massive howlers. Like persisting with the likes of Sohail, Imran and Rahat in Test team when they aren't even good enough for a gully mohallah side. Inzi has also shown a hesitance to select young batsmen as can be evidenced by the fact that there are reports coming that Kami would be on the plane to the Windies despite the fact that Fakhar Zaman has wiped the floor with Kami. Continued selection of Sohail Tanvir in the T20 side is another example.
    Sohail Khan made an important difference in the England series and has been one of the leading wickettakers in this PSL so don't think he deserves to be grouped with Imran and Rahat.

Mickey Arthur wanted Sohail Tanvir after his CPL performances, but I hope he does get dropped after his abysmal PSL displays.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Sohail Khan made an important difference in the England series and has been one of the leading wickettakers in this PSL so don't think he deserves to be grouped with Imran and Rahat.

Mickey Arthur wanted Sohail Tanvir after his CPL performances, but I hope he does get dropped after his abysmal PSL displays.
    When I was typing out my post, I had a feeling you would be one of the first ones to come to Inzi's rescue

I'm only judging Sohail Khan by his last three series (WI, NZ and Aus) and he was 13 wickets in 5 matches across three series. Hardly anything to write home about.

Isn't it the chief selector's prerogative to listen to suggestions by captain and coach and then make his own decision? Or he just accepts whatever they say? If it is the latter then Inzi is indeed incompetent.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he has made several questionable decisions, like what is the justification of selecting Umar Akmal and Rahat Ali for the Australian series?
    Rizwan in test side despite failing in ODIs, and his test debut was the worst possible debut

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    When I was typing out my post, I had a feeling you would be one of the first ones to come to Inzi's rescue

I'm only judging Sohail Khan by his last three series (WI, NZ and Aus) and he was 13 wickets in 5 matches across three series. Hardly anything to write home about.

Isn't it the chief selector's prerogative to listen to suggestions by captain and coach and then make his own decision? Or he just accepts whatever they say? If it is the latter then Inzi is indeed incompetent.
    Sohail's biggest issue is fitness, but he has lost weight and is working hard on it. He has outperformed Mohammad Amir in Tests since his comeback when you look at bowling average and SR.

As for the OP - Sami Aslam and Babar Azam have been introduced (re-introduced in the case of Aslam) into the Test team. Mohammad Asghar got called up for the Australia series, as did Sharjeel Khan. Shadab Khan is on the verge of selection. Which other young talents have been ignored ?

My biggest issue with the Inzy era so far is his failure to groom fast bowling ARs which are musts outside Asia. Disappointed to see Amir Yamin not get a look-in. But its too early to draw any conclusions about Inzamam's tenure. Let's see who he picks against West Indies and Bangladesh, this year presents an ideal set of fixtures to groom youngsters.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sohail's biggest issue is fitness, but he has lost weight and is working hard on it. He has outperformed Mohammad Amir in Tests since his comeback when you look at bowling average and SR.

As for the OP - Sami Aslam and Babar Azam have been introduced (re-introduced in the case of Aslam) into the Test team. Mohammad Asghar got called up for the Australia series, as did Sharjeel Khan. Shadab Khan is on the verge of selection. Which other young talents have been ignored ?
    Sohail has performed with the bat as well so it justifies his selection a bit, he's been mediocre with the ball but better than Rahat and Imran.

Those youngsters you named were with the team before Inzi got the job previous selectors brought them into the team not Inzi.

And the players ignored in the first class? plenty.
    Usman Salahuddin, Asif Zakir, Imam ul Haq, Mohammad Abbas, Sadaf Hussain, Tabish Khan, Waqas Maqsood, Atif Jabbar etc.
    Even Ahmed Shehzad was ignored for the Australian ODI series after getting tons of runs on the departmental One day cup and useless Umar Akmal was selected instead of him.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry to say but inzi was complete disappointment and it will be better for pakistan cricket that inzi leaves the job foor someone else even a foreigner..

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRsohail View Post
    sorry to say but inzi was complete disappointment and it will be better for pakistan cricket that inzi leaves the job foor someone else even a foreigner..
    Kamran Akmal can be as good as Inzi as a chief selector becuase both see the talent in Umar Akmal that is not present in real life

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bringing back Umar Akmal, Mohammad Hafeez, Umar Gul, Junaid and persisting with Rahat Ali and Imran Khan shows high levels of incompetency. And to be honest, I don't expect it to stop here. Further on, he will bring back Kamran Akmal, Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif, Shehzad, Anwar Ali and we might even see Saeed Ajmal. Even Shahid Afridi would've been brought back but gladly, he's retired.

I am also 100% that he will continue to persist with TTF's.
    Last edited by Abdul; 4th March 2017 at 18:32.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His skills are wasted as a selector. He needs to get back into the coaching carousel asap.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post
    Bringing back Umar Akmal, Mohammad Hafeez, Umar Gul, Junaid and persisting with Rahat Ali and Imran Khan shows high levels of incompetency. And to be honest, I don't expect it to stop here. Further on, he will bring back Kamran Akmal, Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif, Shehzad, Anwar Ali and we might even see Saeed Ajmal. Even Shahid Afridi would've been brought back but gladly, he's retired.

I am also 100% that he will continue to persist with TTF's. Just an incompetent guy. He needs to stick to his Tableeghi Jamaat (even though I'm not really a fan of them either) and stop selecting all his buddies and failures.
    he said one captain is ideal for all formats, that means Hafeez will be selected in tests soon, and he will become captain in all formats later

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Madison, Wi ,US
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he is doing a decent job

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when he became CS, i thought being a religious person now he would atleast raise voice or show concern over illegal selection.
    but i saw that one player included in the overseas tour without playing a single domestic ODI in recent weeks.
    according to sikandar bakht he was drafted because of a phone call from Islamabad and hence all inzi's power has vanished.
    moreover, wasim akram openly claimed that this particular player was no where fit to play international matches but he went to Australia and his fitness test was taken after his selection in which he failed. but he went to Aus anyway and predictably failed in all 5 matches.

now come to anothet TFF who was reported illegal bowling action and was away from cricket for a while but still played. he somewhat played well in couple of matches.

on the other hand, inzi completely ignored top scorers from domestic cricket for NZ and AUS tours.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asma_cricfan View Post
    when he became CS, i thought being a religious person now he would atleast raise voice or show concern over illegal selection.
    but i saw that one player included in the overseas tour without playing a single domestic ODI in recent weeks.
    according to sikandar bakht he was drafted because of a phone call from Islamabad and hence all inzi's power has vanished.
    moreover, wasim akram openly claimed that this particular player was no where fit to play international matches but he went to Australia and his fitness test was taken after his selection in which he failed. but he went to Aus anyway and predictably failed in all 5 matches.

now come to anothet TFF who was reported illegal bowling action and was away from cricket for a while but still played. he somewhat played well in couple of matches.

on the other hand, inzi completely ignored top scorers from domestic cricket for NZ and AUS tours.
    absoltuely true

test side lost 6 matches in a row (1st time in Pak history)
    and he reacted like it's not a big deal and did not show any sign of making the things right instead he seems satisfied with the team

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad. Okay.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen4 View Post
    absoltuely true

test side lost 6 matches in a row (1st time in Pak history)
    and he reacted like it's not a big deal and did not show any sign of making the things right instead he seems satisfied with the team
    How has he shown that ? We haven't played a single Test since the Australia series ! We'll obviously have to wait and see the West Indies squad selection to see whether he's going make big changes or not.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    he's hasn't done anything so far.. hasn't really found a new talent- Babar Azam was selected in his tenure, but entire Pakistan would've selected Azam. He hasn't found a diamond in the rough

and to add to it, the team has clearly been struggling- struggling badly, and Inzamam hasn't made any adjustments

he's brought back Hafeez, Gul.. guys who clearly aren't good enough, and didn't do much in domestic to earn a call up

Inzamam has been very disappointing - 2/10

'I was shivering facing Akhtar' -Tendulkar

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is there any selector in Pakistan who bothers to go and watch domestic matches
    not the ones which are televised

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One of the worse selector I have ever seen. Does not have any eye for talent and no courage to select younger players

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ideally, all of the TTFs should be kicked out, but it looks like Inzi will bring most of them back.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Worse than his predecessor Haroon Rasheed.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3393 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    He has been terrible.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Similar to all previous Selectors.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    He has been terrible.
    how do u compare him with haroon rashid and co..for me they were better..

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3393 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRsohail View Post
    how do u compare him with haroon rashid and co..for me they were better..
    He is one of the worst we have had, and what makes him even worse is that he says all the right stuff but then proceeds to do the opposite. Hopefully he deliver now, so far he has been all hot air.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    773 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Mamoon has summed up Inzi perfectly in 2 liners. He knows his cricket & knows exactly what needs to be done - he is not Qasim, Haroon or Illias. But, he is doing exactly opposite of what he is saying & he knows what he is doing.

However, I'll give him some benefit of doubt considering that PAK had a change in coaching staff & Test team was performing with a settled unit before ANZ tour. BUT, he has absolutely no excuse going forward - a full domestic season is completed, PSL is finished, PAK team had been outclassed in last 2 tours, there is a change in LO leadership, few A tours are also conducted after long time ...... unless the WI Squad reflects his ideas & thoughts, he should be sacked.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The worst selector we ever had. Leaving to the failed and aged players to make the decisions to stay or leave the team, knowing no one retires in Pakistan, while team keep on losing.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Made some good decisions and some poor ones. This year is his true test as we have a schedule that will allow us to pick some younger players. Let's see if Inzi is going to go for youngsters or go with the TTF brigade.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's been poor like the others.

But since he's shown Afridi the door, I'm willing to give him more time.

"Sarfraz is like oxygen for this team" - Misbah-ul-Haq

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3393 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Mamoon has summed up Inzi perfectly in 2 liners. He knows his cricket & knows exactly what needs to be done - he is not Qasim, Haroon or Illias. But, he is doing exactly opposite of what he is saying & he knows what he is doing.

However, I'll give him some benefit of doubt considering that PAK had a change in coaching staff & Test team was performing with a settled unit before ANZ tour. BUT, he has absolutely no excuse going forward - a full domestic season is completed, PSL is finished, PAK team had been outclassed in last 2 tours, there is a change in LO leadership, few A tours are also conducted after long time ...... unless the WI Squad reflects his ideas & thoughts, he should be sacked.
    Inzi is a loyalist, likes to keep his friends happy. I am apprehensive about how he will handle things in the future, and I expect a clash with Mickey at some point.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He's been excellent. Gave consistent chances to Babar and Sami, and we now have two batting positions locked down for the next 10 years, InshAllah. Hafeez has finally left the test team for good and Inzi showed that he can pick the right players for the right occasions when he selected Sharjeel for the tour of Australia.

He's made Amir's transition into the team very smooth and also brought Junaid back who is his ideal bowling partner. Hassan Ali has also been a good selection choice and Inzamam has no time for mediocrity like Tanvir, Anwar and Bhatti, which is great. He's been tough on Shehzad and Umar and that is something they need. Inzi also did something that many of us thought was impossible which is ending the storied career of Shahid Afridi.

Despite his nephew being eligible for selection, Inzi did not do a Mr. Farhat and select him purely because they were related. Guys like Kamran haven't gotten a free pass into the team either just because they played with Kamran. Neither Younis Khan, nor Shahid Afridi had the guts to run a media campaign against someone of Inzi's stature which shows the love and respect the man has in Pakistan.

He has made a few bad calls, like persisting with Shafiq and the mind-numbingly boring trio of Sohail Khan, Rahat Ali and Imran Khan in tests but it's always better to give a player one game too many than one game less.

Inzamam has been one of Pakistan's best ever selectors and definitely the best in a long time. Long may he reign. Haters can keep crying and being miserable all they like.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    The worst selector we ever had. Leaving to the failed and aged players to make the decisions to stay or leave the team, knowing no one retires in Pakistan, while team keep on losing.
    Iqbal Qasim and Haroon Rasheed were much worse. Iqbal Qasim had serious fetish for TTFs constantly re-selecting jokers like Faisal Iqbal and Imran Farhat. His tenures have always ended in disaster.

And Haroon Rasheed was appalling. Remember we were experimenting with our T20 squad even one month before the 2016 T20 WC ! Look at all the duds he selected from Bilal Asif, Iftikhar Ahmed, Bilawal Bhatti, Mohammad Sami, Anwar Ali, Mukhtar Ahmed, 39 year old Rafatullah Mohmand and other assorted rubbish.

And we went to #9 in ODI rankings under Haroon Rasheed.

Inzamam has nowhere near the amount of blunders to his name as those two, nor has been given the same amount of time as Qasim and Rasheed who have been part and parcel of PCB for decades.

The problem with being selector is everyone think they can do the job better, because they post fantasy XIs on PP and throw their toys out of the pram if the Chief Selector doesn't pick his favourites.
    Last edited by Markhor; 4th March 2017 at 19:04.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3393 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Lol at people mentioning Junaid as the ideal partner for Amir.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Iqbal Qasim and Haroon Rasheed were much worse. Iqbal Qasim had serious fetish for TTFs constantly re-selecting jokers like Faisal Iqbal and Imran Farhat. His tenures have always ended in disaster.

And Haroon Rasheed was appalling. Remember we were experimenting with our T20 squad even one month before the 2016 T20 WC ! Look at all the duds he selected from Bilal Asif, Iftikhar Ahmed, Bilawal Bhatti, Mohammad Sami, Anwar Ali, Mukhtar Ahmed, 39 year old Rafatullah Mohmand and other assorted rubbish.

And we went to #9 in ODI rankings under Haroon Rasheed.

Inzamam has nowhere near the amount of blunders to his name as those two, nor has been given the same amount of time as Qasim and Rasheed who have been part and parcel of PCB for decades.

The problem with being selector is everyone think they can do the job better, because they post fantasy XIs on PP and throw their toys out of the pram if the Chief Selector doesn't pick his favourites.
    Inzi sent Iftikhar Ahmed to England. Inzi selected Muhammad Rizwan as the only backup batsman in the test squad. Inzi did not have a backup to Shah in any test squad, until Shah had an injury scare and he flew in Asghar on an emergency basis. Inzi sent Hafeez, Masood and Aslam as the three openers to England, two of these don't even make a gully mohallah side, and Aslam hadn't even debuted. Inzi continued with Azhar as captain even though it was clear to anyone and everyone that he is not built for the ODI format. Inzi selected Rahat, Imran and Sohail as pacers in the test squad. Inzi selected Sohail Tanvir in the T20 squad. Inzi selected Asad Shafiq in the ODI squad. Inzi selected Umar Akmal in the LOI squad despite zero performance in domestics since being dropped.

Those are just from the top of my head. Inzi's transgressions are rising at an exponential rate. You won't see it though.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3393 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Inzi sent Iftikhar Ahmed to England. Inzi selected Muhammad Rizwan as the only backup batsman in the test squad. Inzi did not have a backup to Shah in any test squad, until Shah had an injury scare and he flew in Asghar on an emergency basis. Inzi sent Hafeez, Masood and Aslam as the three openers to England, two of these don't even make a gully mohallah side, and Aslam hadn't even debuted. Inzi continued with Azhar as captain even though it was clear to anyone and everyone that he is not built for the ODI format. Inzi selected Rahat, Imran and Sohail as pacers in the test squad. Inzi selected Sohail Tanvir in the T20 squad. Inzi selected Asad Shafiq in the ODI squad. Inzi selected Umar Akmal in the LOI squad despite zero performance in domestics since being dropped.

Those are just from the top of my head. Inzi's transgressions are rising at an exponential rate. You won't see it though.
    Everything is true except for Azhar's captaincy. That is beyond his powers but he has insisted many times that we need one captain across all formats. It is clear that he along with perhaps Arthur, pressurized Shahryar to sack Azhar. He officially resigned but that was just a nice sending off.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    He's been excellent. Gave consistent chances to Babar and Sami, and we now have two batting positions locked down for the next 10 years, InshAllah. Hafeez has finally left the test team for good and Inzi showed that he can pick the right players for the right occasions when he selected Sharjeel for the tour of Australia.

He's made Amir's transition into the team very smooth and also brought Junaid back who is his ideal bowling partner. Hassan Ali has also been a good selection choice and Inzamam has no time for mediocrity like Tanvir, Anwar and Bhatti, which is great. He's been tough on Shehzad and Umar and that is something they need. Inzi also did something that many of us thought was impossible which is ending the storied career of Shahid Afridi.

Despite his nephew being eligible for selection, Inzi did not do a Mr. Farhat and select him purely because they were related. Guys like Kamran haven't gotten a free pass into the team either just because they played with Kamran. Neither Younis Khan, nor Shahid Afridi had the guts to run a media campaign against someone of Inzi's stature which shows the love and respect the man has in Pakistan.

He has made a few bad calls, like persisting with Shafiq and the mind-numbingly boring trio of Sohail Khan, Rahat Ali and Imran Khan in tests but it's always better to give a player one game too many than one game less.

Inzamam has been one of Pakistan's best ever selectors and definitely the best in a long time. Long may he reign. Haters can keep crying and being miserable all they like.
    Yet he was there in our last T20I squad.

Well summed up by @Syed1.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3393 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Square Drive View Post

Forget it. He made up his mind that Inzi is the greatest Chief Selector ever even before he took the job, and we know why.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Only at the behest of the captain and coach. Had Inzi not done so, people like @Mamoon would be crying about it, especially because this guy rates Tanvir as Pakistan's best T20 bowler.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Only at the behest of the captain and coach. Had Inzi not done so, people like @Mamoon would be crying about it, especially because this guy rates Tanvir as Pakistan's best T20 bowler.
    Who told you this?

What about the other things mentioned in post #35?

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Who told you this?

What about the other things mentioned in post #35?
    Inzamam himself stated that Tanvir was asked for by the coach/captain, I believe.

- Iftiqar was selected because Misbah wanted a batsman who could bowl, akin Hafeez. You want the CS to defy "kuptaan" and ignite a public feud?
    - How many batsmen do you want in a team? One extra middle-order bat and one extra opener is more than enough.
    - Sami is our best test opener, given a chance by Inzamam mind you. Masood had done well in the series leading up to the tour of England and deserved to be part of the touring party. Same goes for Hafeez.
    - Extra pacers are what we need for overseas tours, not spinners. Especially when Shah is the best spinner in the world and is undroppable.
    - Umar Akmal is one of Pakistan's best LOI batsmen, no matter his behavioral issues. He shouldn't have been dropped in the first place.

The other things @Syed1 mentioned are legitimate criticisms, which I have also pointed out. No one said Inzamam is perfect.
    Last edited by Bilal7; 4th March 2017 at 21:16.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Hang on, who said Inzamam hasn't made any mistakes ? Even if you attribute all those mistakes to Inzy, its still not close to the list of monumental blunders that we saw under Iqbal Qasim and Haroon Rasheed. But let's go through the list:

1) Iftikhar Ahmed was a Misbah selection. News reports at the time said Misbah was impressed with Ifti's temperament. CS can't simply ignore his captain's input, plus England was Inzy's first series so you can give him some leeway.

2) There's only so many places in a touring party, you can't have backups in every position.
    3) Hafeez and Masood were leftovers from the previous era, both have been kicked out of Test side.
    4) Inzy isn't responsible for picking the national team captain, the ultimate power lies with the Chairman. Now Azhar's resigned, Inzy rightly gave his vote for Sarfraz.
    5) Sohail selection was vindicated during England tour, he took two 5-fers and has outperformed Amir since his comeback when you look at bowling avg and SR. Agree Imran and Rahat should be dropped.

6) Tanvir was Arthur's selection, Arthur wanted him after his CPL performances. Its right that the CS should listen to captain and coach. If Inzy vetoed the selection, people here would label him power hungry and a tyrant. Same with Asad Shafiq who was mainly an Azhar buddy selection, and Arthur wanted him after his Test performances. But I agree he shouldn't be playing ODIs.

7) I personally would've kept Akmal out. But half of PP was crying for Umar Akmal selection last year because we lacked "dynamism and aggression", now they want him kicked out ! Inzy cannot win with you guys.

Meanwhile, Inzy has given Hasan Ali a consistent run, reintroduced Sami Aslam, gave Babar Azam his Test debut, selected Rumman Raees for T20s and will most likely introduce Shadab Khan in the Caribbean. I'm not a blind supporter, yes there's aspects of the Inzamam era that's been underwhelming - but he's also made positive decisions which should be acknowledged.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I don't really understand what's wrong with so called PP analysts. Inzi has been much better then the last selectors and i hope he continues for a long time.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Persisting with Misbah after 6 losses st age 43, bringing back Hafeez, continue to select guys like Rahat and Imran junior, represent a state of mins which is not consistent with modern day cricket, will not take Pakistan cricket forward.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's been ok, not extraordinary, something he was with Afghan team in capacity of a coach

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3393 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Tanvir is not a problem in T20Is, but Inzi The Revolutionary has made a lot of poor calls. He talks a good game, but proceeds to do the opposite.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tanvir is not a problem in T20Is, but Inzi The Revolutionary has made a lot of poor calls. He talks a good game, but proceeds to do the opposite.
    what are you kidding me? He will get smashed for 40+ runs at Int. cricket. He has been worked out. his slower deliveries are easily pickable and can get smashed for big sixes. I think Raees is better T20 bowler in comparison to Tanvir also he can bowl some yorkers. Raees,Sami,Amir,Hasan,Wahab all are better T20 bowlers than Tanvir.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "This business that it's 'up to Misbah' whether he wants to play or not – that's rubbish - it's up to the selectors," Chappell said.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3393 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSN View Post
    what are you kidding me? He will get smashed for 40+ runs at Int. cricket. He has been worked out. his slower deliveries are easily pickable and can get smashed for big sixes. I think Raees is better T20 bowler in comparison to Tanvir also he can bowl some yorkers. Raees,Sami,Amir,Hasan,Wahab all are better T20 bowlers than Tanvir.
    It is the only format where he is useful, and he has done decently for Pakistan recently. Not a bad option to have in the squad, can slog a few on the leg-side as well. However, I won't mind if Raees takes his place for good.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is the only format where he is useful, and he has done decently for Pakistan recently. Not a bad option to have in the squad, can slog a few on the leg-side as well. However, I won't mind if Raees takes his place for good.
    his pace is really the problem and with that pace slower ball becomes pretty much ineffective most of the times. Raees has been terrific once again and I think he deserves selection. Sami has been brilliant as well. Sohail may be good but we have better options.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "This business that it's 'up to Misbah' whether he wants to play or not – that's rubbish - it's up to the selectors," Chappell said.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't matter what kind of job he does, and which players he select, we ll never be happy.
    We are never happy with anyone.
    We like to complain ALL the time.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asim2Good View Post
    Doesn't matter what kind of job he does, and which players he select, we ll never be happy.
    We are never happy with anyone.
    We like to complain ALL the time.
    NO we will be happy if people like Inzi and Misbah are shown the door, they don;t care about the future of Pakistan cricket. Yes they are very loyal people, to themselves, their friends and cricketers from their region.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Except that he's made a lot more good decisions than bad ones and even those bad decisions have had solid reasoning behind them, as explained above.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3393 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Except that he's made a lot more good decisions than bad ones and even those bad decisions have had solid reasoning behind them, as explained above.
    Yes he is perfect. Not capable of making a bad decision. We knew it before he was appointed.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    NO we will be happy if people like Inzi and Misbah are shown the door, they don;t care about the future of Pakistan cricket. Yes they are very loyal people, to themselves, their friends and cricketers from their region.
    Do let me know who cares about Pakistan cricket?

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He has done a decent job for me so far...People complain a lot but when the squad is selected i see only one or two bad decisions but that is not very bad to complain..

He continued with sharjeel, babar azam, rizwan, hasan ali , imad and nawaz even though they had poor series and matches here and there..Usually these guys are the first one to get the axe from the selectors for 1 or 2 bad matches..

didnt give the same treatment to hafeez, remember he was not selected in the initial squad by him later was added on the request of the mgmt for his bowling against left handers.. similarly like junaid but he was the added as the choice of selectors ...He didnt succumb to the superstar tag pressure from afridi for a farewell match and also now for MISBAH in tests.. he also got rid off Anwar ali and bhatti, brought back junaid khan in ODIs for australia who had a good BPL and domestic performances to make comeback hence had a good series on aus making good opening combo with amir...

azam and sharjeel rewarded test debuts for their good ODI runs...dropped ifthikar and added nawaz who is more deserving than him... Also keeping shehzad out longer for him to fix his attitude where he is still the same with his game and very little improvement in attitude...

in all he had done a decent job in his tenure which is less than a year time now...

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so after the failures in PSL, the TTFs are still selected for limited overs training camp

nice move

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Naming decent preliminary squads was his strength, but now it seems that he can't even do that.

Although it's great to see pretty much all of the PSL stars in the 31-man squad including Shadab Khan, Fakhar Zaman, Usama Mir, Usman Shinwari, and Rumman Raees as well as talents from the PSL who even showed a bit of potential i.e. Hussain Talat and the raw but talented Amad Butt, what exactly was the point of selecting the likes of Shan Masood, Azhar Ali, Rahat Ali, and the likes? Instead he could've picked Aamer Yamin (God knows what kind of beef he has with him) or the man he rates, i.e. "Hasnain Khan".

Mohammad Rizwan really should've been there too.

Let's hope the final LOI squads aren't contaminated with TTFs (wouldn't complain too much if Kamran/Shehzad make it because at least they have actually earned it this time).

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Dhaka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8/10

He is trying his best with a bunch of trundlers and under so many corrupted peoples.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nil Dhumrojal View Post
    8/10

He is trying his best with a bunch of trundlers and under so many corrupted peoples.
    from Bangladesh's point of view it's 8/10 becuase it's helping them in the ODI rankings, selecting TTFs again and again

it's 5/10 from Pakistan's point of view

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has not added anything new or spotted any new talent as such so for me he is still a work in progress.

The good thing is he has kept the Akmals in check. For now I will rate it as 5/10.

Now that Misbah's time is up and Sarfraz is captaining the ODI teams and we have also seen some emerging talent coming through the PSL. How Inzi manages the new challenges and chooses between the old and new will be under intense scrutiny. Inzi needs to ensure he gets a solid combination for the next World Cup and his selection of players for West Indian tour will be very good insight into whether he will develop the squad or play it safe.

"Nations are born in the hearts of poets, they prosper and die in the hands of politicians."-Iqbal

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    8/10

What trundlers?

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Dhaka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellipsism View Post
    What trundlers?
    Sorry,my mistake. All of them are ATG's.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started with a bang, lots of actions/statements etc but quickly settled down into a passive role like all selectors before him, selecting the same team for completely different tours and bringing back TTFs.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix363 View Post
    Started with a bang, lots of actions/statements etc but quickly settled down into a passive role like all selectors before him, selecting the same team for completely different tours and bringing back TTFs.
    started with the real bang, selected Iftikhar for England test series, persisted with Hafeez who had horrible record outside Asia, presisted with unfit bowlers Gul and Irfan, used Rizwan as a specialist batsman as well
    absolutely fanstastic

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is alot of criticism on almost everyone here. But the point is we experts here on PP, are only analysing what we can see.. like emerging talents from psl or its performances or atmost couple of domestoc matches with statistics.

In couple of days selectors shortlisted around 70 players. Almost every player on ability is there.

We were massively let down by rizwan. He didn't have anything substantial although he was kept in squad.. inzi tried all his heart to keep k.akmal out but rizwan.
    Aamer yamin though good but he has another issue.. his bowling height and other dynamics match with hassan ali. Which will bring two quite same height bowlers.. which wont work for long. So the current hate for inzi is not justified

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen4 View Post
    started with the real bang, selected Iftikhar for England test series, persisted with Hafeez who had horrible record outside Asia, presisted with unfit bowlers Gul and Irfan, used Rizwan as a specialist batsman as well
    absolutely fanstastic
    I meant in terms of arranging the military camp and ensuring the team arrived early to acclimatise, one of the main reasons for our good performance in the test series. In terms of selection, no chief selector is going to be able to come in and drop senior players like Hafeez straight away, even the Zalmi administration didn't drop him after 7 straight failures.

But yes agreed, in that regards Inzamam is just the same as everyone else. And he seems to be getting worse, with indications that Kamran and Hafeez are likely to return (...inbefore everyone starts to harp on about how they performed in PSL and therefore it is 'fair' for them to be selected).

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rate him as biased. He also can't think out of the box.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Trundler can be an ATG too.

We're interested in knowing what trundlers do we have?

Please don't deflect the question .

At the end of a stressful, depressing day, a dose of cricket is what can cheer us up.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    Michigan, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It seems like he does not study the players much. Brings in well known players instead of good skillful players in domestic. So far he is no different than any other selector.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Inzi needs to give Sarf a fresh team and young talent to work with.

The same players who have brought us to number 8 in the rankings, you can't expect them to take us to number 4-6.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inzi needs to give Sarf a fresh team and young talent to work with.

The same players who have brought us to number 8 in the rankings, you can't expect them to take us to number 4-6.
    young players? hmm.. let's see who are the favourites to get selected... Salman Butt, MOhammad Asif, Umar Akmal talent master, Hafeez, all back in the test side

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abughio View Post
    There is alot of criticism on almost everyone here. But the point is we experts here on PP, are only analysing what we can see.. like emerging talents from psl or its performances or atmost couple of domestoc matches with statistics.

In couple of days selectors shortlisted around 70 players. Almost every player on ability is there.

We were massively let down by rizwan. He didn't have anything substantial although he was kept in squad.. inzi tried all his heart to keep k.akmal out but rizwan.
    Aamer yamin though good but he has another issue.. his bowling height and other dynamics match with hassan ali. Which will bring two quite same height bowlers.. which wont work for long. So the current hate for inzi is not justified
    Indeed but the problem is every fan think they can be a selector. They name their fantasy XIs on here and throw a hissy fit if their favourites aren't selected.

Yes I'd have liked Inzy to have been more radical and some of the selections like Shafiq, Gul and Rahat in LOIs cannot be justified.

However he's done a better job of introducing young talent than his predecessors Iqbal Qasim and Haroon Rasheed. We've seen Sami Aslam and Babar Azam given consistent runs in the Test team, Mohammad Asghar and Shadab Khan are on the verge of international debut, Sharjeel Khan was given Test debut, Hasan Ali has debuted and more will follow. Some people won't be satisfied that we're grooming youngsters until we field a virtual U19 side !

Selection is also not a one man show, Inzy has rightly said he won't impose himself on the coach and captain. But I bet you if he did - these SAME people will say "oh he's becoming a tyrant like when he was captain" etc. What a thankless job.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Indeed but the problem is every fan think they can be a selector. They name their fantasy XIs on here and throw a hissy fit if their favourites aren't selected.

Yes I'd have liked Inzy to have been more radical and some of the selections like Shafiq, Gul and Rahat in LOIs cannot be justified.

However he's done a better job of introducing young talent than his predecessors Iqbal Qasim and Haroon Rasheed. We've seen Sami Aslam and Babar Azam given consistent runs in the Test team, Mohammad Asghar and Shadab Khan are on the verge of international debut, Sharjeel Khan was given Test debut, Hasan Ali has debuted and more will follow. Some people won't be satisfied that we're grooming youngsters until we field a virtual U19 side !

Selection is also not a one man show, Inzy has rightly said he won't impose himself on the coach and captain. But I bet you if he did - these SAME people will say "oh he's becoming a tyrant like when he was captain" etc. What a thankless job.

You forgot to mention he has selected good squads for A tours.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His 'hasnain khan and shadab kabir' antic really shook up the impression for me. Regardless of the quality of his decisions behind selections, I am somehow failing to live with the fact that a guy, however great he may have been as a cricketer, said wrong names of two very promising future players for Pakistan cricket. It may actually be a meaningless thing; he may be doing tons and tons of useful work on these cricketers behind the scenes. But it does give a very bad impression of the kind of interest/professionalism he's oozing into the role, for me atleast.

Are we there yet?

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you..

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lolpakistan View Post
    His 'hasnain khan and shadab kabir' antic really shook up the impression for me. Regardless of the quality of his decisions behind selections, I am somehow failing to live with the fact that a guy, however great he may have been as a cricketer, said wrong names of two very promising future players for Pakistan cricket. It may actually be a meaningless thing; he may be doing tons and tons of useful work on these cricketers behind the scenes. But it does give a very bad impression of the kind of interest/professionalism he's oozing into the role, for me atleast.
    This happens sometimes.. also some people are not very good in remembering names

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of inzi's big talk vanished when he select Akmal and Hafeez in AUS tour although Hafeez did better than Akmal.

Then we see he called up Umar Akmal again in the camp knowing he failed big time in PSL.

He ignored Amir Yamin from PSL but called up hafeez and Umar.

Now tell me what I make out of it.

Only hope is he might not select Umar and Hafeez in LOI but I highly doubt it.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 11th March 2017 at 15:38.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post

he could not just change the team b4 eng or nz tours. But now he has lots of reasons to axe over the hill players

he made big changes in pak a team. Shadab khan got into pak a when he was the chief selector. Team selected for playing eng lions in eng was also his.

I think hasan ali got into pakistani team when he was the chief selector.

Haroon Rashid saw psl but did not include hasan ali in pakistan national team.

It's a fact that he could have done alot better and some of his selections were questionable but he did a better job then wasim bari salahuddin sallu, qasim sahb and haroon sahb

He dropped ehsan adil for pakistan a tours. Which was a good decision since he was ridiculously overhyped here on pp(some still rate him highly but when i show them his stats of his pak a performance, then those people give lame excuses)

All in all, he has been an improvement over HR and IQ.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6/10 for now.

selecting Hafeez and Tanvir for T20s made no sense whatsoever.

Sohail should have been selected.

giving youngsters a chance is a very good move by him.