Instagram


The Cricket Paper

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 63 of 63
  1. #1
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    13,499
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Shakib Al Hasan vs Ben Stokes - The better all-rounder?

    There has been several arguements regarding the best all-rounder in the world all formats combined

    Shakib sits strong on the rankings. Currently top ranked ODI and T20 all-rounder and 2nd in test rankings but will probably ahead of Ashwin with the current series'.

    Also Shakib has great stats for an all-rounder in all formats.

    However many rate Ben Stokes highly because he is an impact player. Stokes has also improved lately. Both are world class fielders but Stokes would be one of the best.

    What do folks feel about this.

  2. #2
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    2,978
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ben Stokes easily the best allrounder currently .

  3. #3
    Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    12,307
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    in Asia id probably take Shakib. Outside Asia Stokes. in Tests Stokes is a better player though and has potential to become a great Test all rounder. Dont feel Shakib is as much of a threat in Tests like he is in LOIs

  4. #4
    Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    5,466
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Statistically, Shakib will always be ahead. But like you said, Stokes is an impact player. Tough debate but for me, Shakib ahead at the moment because he's come out so well despite playing for a minnow nation and he's seen the whole process of them being minnows to a very good team now. So, Shakib for me. He's been seriously instrumental in Bangladesh going from minnows to a really good team. Easily GOAT for Bangladesh. Will end up as an ATG in one of the formats at least.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    13,499
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adil_94 View Post
    in Asia id probably take Shakib. Outside Asia Stokes. in Tests Stokes is a better player though and has potential to become a great Test all rounder. Dont feel Shakib is as much of a threat in Tests like he is in LOIs
    TBH Shakib is a better player in tests. Averaging 41 with bat 33 with ball.

    On topic:
    A trivia. In the last 3 premier leagues Shakib has played in his team has won the championship each time. CPL, BPL, PSL (didn't play the final tho)

  6. #6
    Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    12,307
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @Executioner Stokes is more of an impact player i feel in Tests especially as batsman i think he has a higher ceiling than Shakib.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    37,065
    Mentioned
    2164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Shakib.

    Stokes is too hit or miss.


    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

  8. #8
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    13,499
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adil_94 View Post
    @Executioner Stokes is more of an impact player i feel in Tests especially as batsman i think he has a higher ceiling than Shakib.
    About ceiling I agree. And Shakib with ball too is a much better choice. Has 15 5-fers. Good record away for Asia for a spinner.

    I think it's T20s where Shakib isn't an impact player. In tests Shakib is an impact player. He bats at a good strike rate. Counter attacks. He has scored close 600 runs this year alone in tests, all of them away including a double hundred.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    9,311
    Mentioned
    618 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Anwar > Stokes > Most Alrounders Today > Shakib

  10. #10
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    381
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Stokes definitely takes the honour of the most overrated all-rounder ever to play the game. If he wasn't English, he would barely be spoken about.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    5,377
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Shakib

    Don't like soft cricketers like Stokes.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    2,584
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shakib for me is the best all rounder in last 7-8 years.
    Big fan of him starting from his 50 against Ind in 2007 world cup when BD won.

    Unfortunately he plays in a weak side so his performances didnt result in many wins. Also i think he is not someone who you can rely on to finish matches so maybe they did wrong to send him at no 5-6 in odis.


    Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

  13. #13
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    69,982
    Mentioned
    3820 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    I am not interested in stats. Stokes is the best all-rounder in the world except for perhaps Limited Overs matches in Asia, where I would prefer Shakib, who is world class too.
    Last edited by Mamoon; 17th March 2017 at 19:16.

  14. #14
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    9,181
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shakib atm.

    The youngsta beauty-Stokes is a mediocre batsman and bowler in Tests. In LOIs, he is a good batsman, but a poor bowler.

    Maybe Stokes will overtake Shakib in a couple of years time though.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    14,363
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll take Stokes.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Dhaka
    Runs
    3,023
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaqas92 View Post
    Anwar > Stokes > Most Alrounders Today > Shakib
    Got it. Trying to troll.


    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    26,897
    Mentioned
    810 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Shakib is the best spin-bowling all-rounder while Stokes is the equivalent of pace-bowling. Can't compare the two just like you wouldn't compare a pacer with a spinner.


    لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

  18. #18
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    4,542
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stokes will eventually surpass Shakib.

    He is an underrated test all rounder and irrespective of stats he did well in Ban and India tour last year.

    Shakib is very good too.However, in a high profile games like Ashes test or the upcoming home series vs SA, Stokes is going to be one of the best bets.

    Both Stokes and Ashwin will surpass Shakib in long run.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    13,214
    Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Stokes doesn't deserve to be compared to a proven AR like Shakib.

    On utility and performances even Hafeez was better (pre-ban).

    Can Stokes ever get there? Doesn't have the ingredients, we'll see. Very overrated.


    At the end of a stressful, depressing day, a dose of cricket is what can cheer us up.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Cairo, Egypt
    Runs
    5,793
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Stokes doesn't deserve to be compared to a proven AR like Shakib.

    On utility and performances even Hafeez was better (pre-ban).

    Can Stokes ever get there? Doesn't have the ingredients, we'll see. Very overrated.
    Absolutely. Stokes can not even dream of matching Hafeez's 258 in South Africa, or his Ashes ton at Perth.


    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Instagram!

    Please also follow PakPassion Sport!

  21. #21
    Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    616
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Stokes will eventually surpass Shakib.

    He is an underrated test all rounder and irrespective of stats he did well in Ban and India tour last year.

    Shakib is very good too.However, in a high profile games like Ashes test or the upcoming home series vs SA, Stokes is going to be one of the best bets.

    Both Stokes and Ashwin will surpass Shakib in long run.
    I don't think Shakib is a good batsman, but Ashwin is hardly a good allrounder. All his 4 centuries were against minnow West Indies who are as bad as it gets (WI will probably lose test status by next decade). As an overall player Ashwin is much more valuable than Shakib (a potential ATG spinner) but to call Ashwin a good allrounder is a stretch. Sometimes stats are deceiving without proper context.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    4,542
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
    I don't think Shakib is a good batsman, but Ashwin is hardly a good allrounder. All his 4 centuries were against minnow West Indies who are as bad as it gets (WI will probably lose test status by next decade). As an overall player Ashwin is much more valuable than Shakib (a potential ATG spinner) but to call Ashwin a good allrounder is a stretch. Sometimes stats are deceiving without proper context.
    He has played some crucial knocks and although his hundreds have come vs WI only he still has good amount of years left. Let's not come into any conclusion on the basis of one series.

    I still back Ashwin to play some quality knocks overseas this time with the bat too.One of his hundreds vs WI last year was a really good knock scored in bowling friendly conditions.

  23. #23
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    7,299
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Shakib is better at the moment but most teams would rather have Stokes in their lineup.


    A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    13,499
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Stokes will eventually surpass Shakib.

    He is an underrated test all rounder and irrespective of stats he did well in Ban and India tour last year.

    Shakib is very good too.However, in a high profile games like Ashes test or the upcoming home series vs SA, Stokes is going to be one of the best bets.

    Both Stokes and Ashwin will surpass Shakib in long run.
    First of all Ashwin cant ever surpass Shakib in LoIs. Ashwin doesn't have the skillset for LOI batting and tbh in Shakib is the better LOI bowler. In tests Ashwin has performed better than Shakib with ball but Shakib is the much better batsman.

    Ashwin is older than Shakib BTW
    Last edited by Executioner; 18th March 2017 at 00:06.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    13,499
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On SC pitches I would take Ashwin for his bowling alone.

    The only thing I have heard about Stokes is that he can win much more matches because he's impact but too hit or miss

  26. #26
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    1,694
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both are the best allrounders currently and only very few genuine all rounders, Shakib has better stats but Stroke is ahead as a match winner.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    4,542
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    First of all Ashwin cant ever surpass Shakib in LoIs. Ashwin doesn't have the skillset for LOI batting and tbh in Shakib is the better LOI bowler. In tests Ashwin has performed better than Shakib with ball but Shakib is the much better batsman.

    Ashwin is older than Shakib BTW
    I was referring to tests only.You didnt mentioned formats.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    13,499
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    I was referring to tests only.You didnt mentioned formats.
    I was generalizing actually

  29. #29
    Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    6,342
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad10 View Post
    Absolutely. Stokes can not even dream of matching Hafeez's 258 in South Africa, or his Ashes ton at Perth.
    hahahahah sorry this was just too good!

    On a related note - Hafeez is not bad in Asia as an all-rounder but leaves a lot to be desired as soon as we tour abroad.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    13,499
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry to say this but calling Ben Stokes a more valuable player than Shakib is an insult to the latter.

    Ben Stokes plays for a strong team. Shakib played most of his matches for a weak team and had singlehandedly take the team out of trouble. Even despite all this he scored a bulk of the runs and took bulk of the wicket. Had to deal with the pressure of being the only world class player in the side.

    I know pundits from Western countries go gaga over Stokes and hardly knows about Shakib, he doesn't need their affirmations. The affirmations are already in the rankings.

    No. 1 in ODIs
    No. 1 in Tests(likely to overtake Ashwin after today)
    No. 1 in T20s

    Stokes highest ranking in any of them is 5th and that in tests.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    616
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    Both are the best allrounders currently and only very few genuine all rounders, Shakib has better stats but Stroke is ahead as a match winner.
    Stokes who has veterans like Anderson, Broad, Cook and future greats like Root in his team. There is also Bairstow who's in great form, and Chris Woakes who's a decent allrounder himself. I would hardly call Stokes a match winner when the other guys do the hard work, and Stokes isn't even the best player in his team. Match winner is hardly relevant as comparison when one plays in a team of mediocre players and carries burden for team to achieve a respectable defeat. Do you really think Stokes would make any difference if he was in BDesh team?

  32. #32
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    708
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who is Hasan to put it n the same bracket as Shakib

    Shakib is the only world class all rounder produced since kallis

    Stokes has all the potential to be great but need to see how far he will go

  33. #33
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    4,633
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apples and oranges. How do you compare Murali with Wasim?

    How do you compare, Opener vs Middle order batsman? They have two different task for his team.

    I'd take both if we have space.

    Statistically Ben is not even close to Shakib. Batting or Bowling. Test, ODI, T20 (joke). Believe me.

    Shakib
    http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...;type=allround
    Average difference batting vs bowling Ave
    Test 7.88
    ODI 6.62
    T20 2.66

    Stokes
    http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...;type=allround
    Average difference batting vs bowling Ave
    Test -0.5
    ODI -8.29
    T20 -33.73


    Forgive when you are on top. Don't you want to be forgiven?

  34. #34
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    929
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stats wise, Shakib > Stokes (currently)

    Potential & Impact wise, Stokes >>> Shakib.

    Stokes is destined to become one of the best allrounders ever. Performing in tests is the biggest thing for any cricketer. Even stats wise(tests), Stokes got similar stats to Shakib. And keep in mind that, stokes is only go upwards from here and hasn't even reached his peak yet. In tests, Stokes wipes the floor with Shakib and would make any test XI in the world.

    Even in shorter formats where Stokes have much inferior stats currently, would Shakib make up any world XI currently as an allrounder, let alone as batsman or bowler purely? No, but Stokes will be in world XI as a batsman alone. That's how dangerous he is.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    13,499
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kong View Post
    Stats wise, Shakib > Stokes (currently)

    Potential & Impact wise, Stokes >>> Shakib.

    Stokes is destined to become one of the best allrounders ever. Performing in tests is the biggest thing for any cricketer. Even stats wise(tests), Stokes got similar stats to Shakib. And keep in mind that, stokes is only go upwards from here and hasn't even reached his peak yet. In tests, Stokes wipes the floor with Shakib and would make any test XI in the world.

    Even in shorter formats where Stokes have much inferior stats currently, would Shakib make up any world XI currently as an allrounder, let alone as batsman or bowler purely? No, but Stokes will be in world XI as a batsman alone. That's how dangerous he is.
    Shakib in tests averages 41. His test average in the last 4 years has gone up to 50+ and I am sure if you average 50+ you can walk into most sides in the world. And also Shakib has 15 5-wicket hauls.

    In LoIs he would get into sides with his bowling performance alone. And his batting average aren't bad either - 35 in ODIs and 24 in T20s.

    Shakib is as impactful as Stokes if not more. Stokes plays for a strong team, Shakib for a weaker side. Only recently Shakib's team has improved. Infact Shakib played a great role in our recent two wins against England and Lanka.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    929
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    Shakib in tests averages 41. His test average in the last 4 years has gone up to 50+ and I am sure if you average 50+ you can walk into most sides in the world. And also Shakib has 15 5-wicket hauls.

    In LoIs he would get into sides with his bowling performance alone. And his batting average aren't bad either - 35 in ODIs and 24 in T20s.

    Shakib is as impactful as Stokes if not more. Stokes plays for a strong team, Shakib for a weaker side. Only recently Shakib's team has improved. Infact Shakib played a great role in our recent two wins against England and Lanka.
    1. Someone like Saha also averages something like 50 in the last 2 years. That doesn't mean he would walk into most sides into the world. Stop picking out some selective stats.

    2. What's the impact you are talking about? Shakib played 9 matches against top teams overseas throughout his career. Yes, a grand total of 9. Though not his fault, but still how can put him in the same league as one of the best allrounders ever and call him impact player based on damnn 9 games?

    3. Shakib playing for a weaker team is his strength as he gets to play against West Indies and Zimbabwe regularly and boost his stats, which Shakib has even failed to do so. And also top teams don't put much focus on him and sometimes teams don't even play their full strength teams, which obviously have helped Shakib to inflate his stats.

    4. No, he would not get into any side as a bowler. Might not even get into Afghanistan side as Rashid seems to be better than him.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    13,499
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kong View Post
    1. Someone like Saha also averages something like 50 in the last 2 years. That doesn't mean he would walk into most sides into the world. Stop picking out some selective stats.

    2. What's the impact you are talking about? Shakib played 9 matches against top teams overseas throughout his career. Yes, a grand total of 9. Though not his fault, but still how can put him in the same league as one of the best allrounders ever and call him impact player based on damnn 9 games?

    3. Shakib playing for a weaker team is his strength as he gets to play against West Indies and Zimbabwe regularly and boost his stats, which Shakib has even failed to do so. And also top teams don't put much focus on him and sometimes teams don't even play their full strength teams, which obviously have helped Shakib to inflate his stats.

    4. No, he would not get into any side as a bowler. Might not even get into Afghanistan side as Rashid seems to be better than him.
    1) Shakib as an all-rounder achieved 50+ average for not to 2 years but for last 5 years or so

    2) he isn't an impact player? Do you think 41 averaging batsman with 15 five wicket hauls cannot make an impact? And are you putting Stokes in the league of the greatest all-rounders and not Shakib who has performed for the last 7 years as the leading all-rounder in world cricket in not one but 3 formats

    3) Shakib has played 10 test matches against West Indies and Zimbabwe combined that means 40 tests against top teams. Thus indicates that he has performed against top teams in the world. He just scored a double century in new Zealand. Also no team has sent a second string xi in tests against Bangladesh in my recent memory.

    4) Shakib averages 28 with ball in ODIs with ER of 4. He would walk into Pakistan, England, Aus, SL, WI, NZ sides easily. Only South Africa and India don't need his services. His T20 average isn't shabby either 21 with ball and ER of 6.76

    And his batting not bad either
    Last edited by Executioner; 19th March 2017 at 15:21.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    5,377
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    English cricketers are the most overhyped in the world. Stokes double in SA (similar conditions) is considered the best thing since sliced bread and butter but Shakib's double in NZ (completely alien conditions and minnow test team) is often ignored.

    Double standards?

  39. #39
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    22,309
    Mentioned
    4196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Shakib as he is more proven, not just better then Stokes but the best A/R in the world PERIOD. He has reigned as champion for a long time, there have been some dry spells and competition in the form of Kallis but Shakib has been in the top 2 or 3 for a long long time. Stokes is okay but a long time to go, Shakib is the KING for now.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    2,983
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    English cricketers are the most overhyped in the world. Stokes double in SA (similar conditions) is considered the best thing since sliced bread and butter but Shakib's double in NZ (completely alien conditions and minnow test team) is often ignored.

    Double standards?
    What makes that innings so commonly mentioned is the speed and brutality with which it was scored. To compare it to Shakibs 200, 41 runs more than Shakib in 78 less balls.

  41. #41
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    5,377
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    What makes that innings so commonly mentioned is the speed and brutality with which it was scored. To compare it to Shakibs 200, 41 runs more than Shakib in 78 less balls.
    Stokes scored on a pitch on which both teams posted 600+ scores. Conditions in SA are not alien for English batsman. Even Nasser Hussain averaged 60+ in SA.

    Shakib scored in completely alien conditions in a much weaker batting line-up.

    You must consider all of that before bringing in the SR.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    2,983
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    Stokes scored on a pitch on which both teams posted 600+ scores. Conditions in SA are not alien for English batsman. Even Nasser Hussain averaged 60+ in SA.

    Shakib scored in completely alien conditions in a much weaker batting line-up.

    You must consider all of that before bringing in the SR.
    Not really fair saying Stokes scored on a flat deck whilst comparing it to Shakibs 200, not exactly like that pitch had a lot in it for the bowlers either...

  43. #43
    Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    6,342
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    Sorry to say this but calling Ben Stokes a more valuable player than Shakib is an insult to the latter.

    Ben Stokes plays for a strong team. Shakib played most of his matches for a weak team and had singlehandedly take the team out of trouble. Even despite all this he scored a bulk of the runs and took bulk of the wicket. Had to deal with the pressure of being the only world class player in the side.

    I know pundits from Western countries go gaga over Stokes and hardly knows about Shakib, he doesn't need their affirmations. The affirmations are already in the rankings.

    No. 1 in ODIs
    No. 1 in Tests(likely to overtake Ashwin after today)
    No. 1 in T20s

    Stokes highest ranking in any of them is 5th and that in tests.
    If he is number 1 - why does he need to overtake Ashwin?

  44. #44
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    2,433
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Judging by the price the (IPL) market is willing to pay, Stokes (14 crs) is ahead of Shakib (2 crs).

  45. #45
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    13,499
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post
    If he is number 1 - why does he need to overtake Ashwin?
    He was no. 1 for a week then became no. 2 again but after last test match likely to regain the top spot.

    Tbh Ashwin won't be in the top for too long because he doesn't bat enough and his batting form isn't best. Bowling still exceptional though

  46. #46
    Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    6,342
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    He was no. 1 for a week then became no. 2 again but after last test match likely to regain the top spot.

    Tbh Ashwin won't be in the top for too long because he doesn't bat enough and his batting form isn't best. Bowling still exceptional though
    ah gotcha thanks!

  47. #47
    Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Dhaka
    Runs
    3,023
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    Judging by the price the (IPL) market is willing to pay, Stokes (14 crs) is ahead of Shakib (2 crs).
    Bitter but true that Asians are obsessed with white skin


    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    2,433
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nil Dhumrojal View Post
    Bitter but true that Asians are obsessed with white skin
    For example Tymal Mills?

  49. #49
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    381
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    Judging by the price the (IPL) market is willing to pay, Stokes (14 crs) is ahead of Shakib (2 crs).
    Like I said, one of the most overrated players to ever play the game. Plus attitude that stinks to match.

    Will be very surprised if he ends up realising even half the potential everyone sees in him.

    Shakib on the other hand has performed well for years. However he too has attitude issues and due to the fact that he plays for a minnow cannot directly be compared. No one knows how good or bad he could have been had he played for one of the main teams.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    5,466
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    Judging by the price the (IPL) market is willing to pay, Stokes (14 crs) is ahead of Shakib (2 crs).
    Stokes will obviously be ahead in these leagues because he's a dashing player even though he may be inferior in terms of ability and performance. For example, Shahid Afridi plays all over the world and for good money even though he doesn't perform a whole lot, but teams continue to select him.. Why? Because he's a brand. He's like a designer wallet. Will be more expensive than they money you put inside and will do a lesser job compared to an average wallet because of its fancy nature but will still be sought by more. Same goes for Stokes.

    Also, Shakib unfortunately plays for a minnow nation and doesn't quite have the swagger (personality and fame) that Stokes has.

  51. #51
    Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    5,466
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nil Dhumrojal View Post
    Bitter but true that Asians are obsessed with white skin
    You know what, I agree with this. Asians most definitely are obsessed with skin, especially the ones in sub continent. But this is not the case here, the only reason Shakib doesn't get a higher price is because he doesn't possess the swagger Stokes has. And unfortunately, maybe not the looks either. There's no denying in the fact that looks play a big role because these players are a brand. Shahid Afridi being an attractive man played a big role in his fame. So, its more to do with the swagger, fame, personality you have that attracts big money instead of the color of your skin.

    West Indians make big, big money in the IPL. Why? Because of they are genuine entertainers even though they aren't white like you said. Not only do they offer big hitting and express pace (which is basically what sells when it comes to franchises) but also a lot of other entertainment like all the dancing, partying, singing and even good looks. So, you have to have be an overall package to make good money.

    This is why the likes of Yuvraj and Afridi have made big money despite not being the most successful cricketers.

  52. #52
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    370
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kong View Post
    Stats wise, Shakib > Stokes (currently)

    Potential & Impact wise, Stokes >>> Shakib.

    Stokes is destined to become one of the best allrounders ever. Performing in tests is the biggest thing for any cricketer. Even stats wise(tests), Stokes got similar stats to Shakib. And keep in mind that, stokes is only go upwards from here and hasn't even reached his peak yet. In tests, Stokes wipes the floor with Shakib and would make any test XI in the world.

    Even in shorter formats where Stokes have much inferior stats currently, would Shakib make up any world XI currently as an allrounder, let alone as batsman or bowler purely? No, but Stokes will be in world XI as a batsman alone. That's how dangerous he is.
    What? Stokes us decent, but not that great batsman to make world Xi. You are clearly biased. I think stokes has improved a lot, but shakib us older and better right now

  53. #53
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    370
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kong View Post
    Stats wise, Shakib > Stokes (currently)

    Potential & Impact wise, Stokes >>> Shakib.

    Stokes is destined to become one of the best allrounders ever. Performing in tests is the biggest thing for any cricketer. Even stats wise(tests), Stokes got similar stats to Shakib. And keep in mind that, stokes is only go upwards from here and hasn't even reached his peak yet. In tests, Stokes wipes the floor with Shakib and would make any test XI in the world.

    Even in shorter formats where Stokes have much inferior stats currently, would Shakib make up any world XI currently as an allrounder, let alone as batsman or bowler purely? No, but Stokes will be in world XI as a batsman alone. That's how dangerous he is.
    What? Stokes us decent, but not that great batsman to make world Xi. You are clearly biased. I think stokes has improved a lot, but shakib us older and better right now

  54. #54
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    370
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And people saying stokes has better impact, stokes let a hack like brathwaite score 4 sixes in the last over in world cup final. While shakib has been carrying minnow Bangla to some wins here and there for like a decade. I don't think this is even a close comparison at this point

  55. #55
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    13,499
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shakib now no. 1 ranked all-rounder in all formats.

    The criticism for Shakib is that he lacks venom. Well if venom is what he lacks then many didn't even bother to watch cricket. It's easy to play for a top side like England who has batsmen till no. 9 and win matches when the hard work is done by others.

    But how difficult would it be if you played for a weaker side? It's much harder when all the pressure is on you. You are the leading batsman and leading bowler. And Shakib has not been just performing for a year or two. He has been performing before Stokes even picked up a proper cricket bat. Shakib was one of the top players in the world when he was a teenager. He has been performing for almost a decade.

    If you see some of the records Shakib has created, he is easily the number one all-rounder in recent times. And if he continues this in a few years he would definitely be ranked amongst the greatest all-rounders. He doesn't need to have 2 million dollar paycheck from IPL or some Aus/Eng commies saying he is the best. He has outperformed everyone by a country mile considering all formats and his stats and rankings attest to that. Maybe the Aussies would have loved to have him.

  56. #56
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    7,476
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stokes is a good player, Different to Shakib as he relies more on power and impact.

    But Shakib is a world class proven performer who is really coming into his own now, More of a guy who carries the team.

  57. #57
    Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Dhaka
    Runs
    3,023
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    For example Tymal Mills?
    You can say better than me


    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

  58. #58
    Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    616
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly believe Stokes would be nowhere near as effective had he played for BDesh, Shakib has won dozens of matches for the minnow country. Stokes is carried by Root, Anderson, Broad, Ali, Bairstow, Woakes, Cook etc. England would win matches regardless of Stokes, same can't be said for BDesh without Shakib

  59. #59
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    9,181
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can't compare a legend like Shakib to an emerging player like Stokes. It's just pure blasphemy.


    "Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

  60. #60
    Debut
    Mar 2008
    Runs
    701
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shakib is better allrounder, but on high profile games in English, NZ, Aus, SA Ben Stokes would be more preferred.

    Playing in a weaker team means they have potential to prove themselves more. So this argument doesnt have much point. Cricket is more an individual game unlike football.

  61. #61
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    13,499
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    You can't compare a legend like Shakib to an emerging player like Stokes. It's just pure blasphemy.
    But a lot of pundits are like "Stokes is like the best all-rounder in the world" and no I am not talking about fans but so-called​cricket experts.

  62. #62
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    26,897
    Mentioned
    810 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    But a lot of pundits are like "Stokes is like the best all-rounder in the world" and no I am not talking about fans but so-called​cricket experts.
    Shakib is a great and the best in the world. Stokes is the best pace-bowling all-rounder but is not a great player yet.


    لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

  63. #63
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    69,982
    Mentioned
    3820 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    English cricketers are the most overhyped in the world. Stokes double in SA (similar conditions) is considered the best thing since sliced bread and butter but Shakib's double in NZ (completely alien conditions and minnow test team) is often ignored.

    Double standards?
    NZ like Pakistan, is less important than team like Australia, England, India and South Africa. Performing against or in these four countries holds more significance than performing against NZ and Pakistan. It might be double standards, but that is how it is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •