Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

“Sharjeel Khan was the type of player who was perfect for the modern game" : Sarfraz Ahmed

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1357889...libre-sarfraz/

Pakistan’s limited-overs captain Sarfraz Ahmed has admitted that the loss of Sharjeel Khan is a blow to his squad but has backed the newcomers to fill the void on the upcoming tour of the West Indies.

Sharjeel, in the past 12 months, had emerged as a potent weapon up the order but was suspended by the Pakistan Cricket Board for his alleged part in the infamous spot-fixing scandal during the first week of the Pakistan Super League.

“It’s saddening when you lose some players who are perfect for the setup,” said Sarfraz while talking to reporters at the National Cricket Academy in Lahore. “Sharjeel was the type of player who we needed as he was perfect for the contemporary run-and-gun style of cricket.”

To lose a player of his quality, says Sarfraz, a bitter blow, but one his team is prepared to overcome. “He isn’t with us anymore so of course it will affect us but I have full faith in the newcomers and they will translate their domestic form at international level.”

The skipper also insisted that the decision to drop his predecessor Azhar Ali from the team altogether doesn’t mean his career is necessarily over.

Kamran Akmal not competing with Sarfraz Ahmed

“He [Azhar] hasn’t been discarded or forced out; if that was the case then he would not have been in the training camp either,” explained Sarfraz. “We simply wanted to benefit from the purple patch of in-form players, which is why we picked top domestic performers.”

Sarfraz did, however, fire a warning in the direction of Wahab Riaz and Mohammad Amir to up their game in the Caribbean as the senior members of a pace unit that hasn’t delivered the goods on their recent travels.

“We have talked to our senior pacers [Wahab and Amir] that they now have enough matches under their belt and need to start winning matches for Pakistan,” said Sarfraz. “And I’m sure they will do just that.”

Sarfraz Ahmed celebrates win against Peshawar with a hilariously awkward dance

The Karachi-born also commented on his own game, saying that he feels his wicketkeeping and batting form are interlinked.

“I feel if my wicketkeeping is up to the mark, my batting will be too; hence, I’ve been working with fielding coach Steve Rixon to identify any weaknesses in my game,” said Sarfraz.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    No real way to explain Azhar's absence other than saying he is dropped!

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So true. Pakistan wont be getting the starts they used to anymore.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3819 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel na huwa Viv Richards hogaya. No doubt he was an exciting player but players like him are dime a dozen everywhere else. The fact that he was touted as the saviour of LOI batting sums up how much we have fallen. However, it is time to move on and not cry over spilled milk. I believe Kamran and Shehzad have the capability to provide explosive starts should they decide to play for the team and not their place.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full confidence in Newcomers like Kamran Akmal and Ahmed Shehzad

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Sharjeel na huwa Viv Richards hogaya. No doubt he was an exciting player but players like him are dime a dozen everywhere else. The fact that he was touted as the saviour of LOI batting sums up how much we have fallen. However, it is time to move on and not cry over spilled milk. I believe Kamran and Shehzad have the capability to provide explosive starts should they decide to play for the team and not their place.
    who said that?

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by www787 View Post
    who said that?
    It seems like you just joined the pp, go over the old threads (before PSL 2) and you will find out...

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is alarming to me is how he can put the onus on Wahab and Amir to win matches for Pakistan instead of himself. I can't remember the last time he made a big score or took a really nice catch. Instead of talking about how he and the entire side need to step up (especially batting), he put it on Wahab and Amir. Poor choice of words especially as a newly appointed captain.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rajulakhpati View Post
    What is alarming to me is how he can put the onus on Wahab and Amir to win matches for Pakistan instead of himself. I can't remember the last time he made a big score or took a really nice catch. Instead of talking about how he and the entire side need to step up (especially batting), he put it on Wahab and Amir. Poor choice of words especially as a newly appointed captain.
    In his fourth last ODI... http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/913661.html

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha in the 5th match of a series to avoid a whitewash.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rajulakhpati View Post
    Haha in the 5th match of a series to avoid a whitewash.
    Moving the goalposts, are we?

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Moving the goalposts, are we?
    haha, you win

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel was perfect for our odi team moving forwards. Yes his stats might not show it but he was getting better and better. Also Babar had less pressure when Sharjeel was on the other side. Babar, Sharjeel, Haris and Sarfi would have been an amazing top 4. Babar and Haris good against pace, Sarfi against spin and Sharjeel the dasher. Dynamic top 4 who could've adopt to different match situations and conditions.

Big loss.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I feel like PP'ers are overhyping Sharjeel just because he is no longer available for selection. Pakistan was still floundering with same Sharjeel opening the batting. Apart from the Aus series, his performances were few and far inbetween.

As they say, "One swallow does not a summer make"

Inzi is the best selector in the world

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    I feel like PP'ers are overhyping Sharjeel just because he is no longer available for selection. Pakistan was still floundering with same Sharjeel opening the batting. Apart from the Aus series, his performances were few and far inbetween.

As they say, "One swallow does not a summer make"
    they were floundering in spite of him, not because of him.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Sarfraz here. Sharjeel was Pakistan's best striking batsman and was modern in his approach, unlike all these otehr openers that Pakistan tried with their touchy feely approach. It's a shame that he had to be such a cheating **** bag.

Hopefully the likes of Zaman, Shehzad and Babard will pick up the slack. Every cloud and all that

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Anyone even asked Sharjeel why he did it? Why Sharjeel? You had the world at your feet and you threw it all away for a few thousand dollars?

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Track_Bully View Post
    Anyone even asked Sharjeel why he did it? Why Sharjeel? You had the world at your feet and you threw it all away for a few thousand dollars?
    Time to change dp bro?

As per him he is still innocent.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Bring back Mukhtar?

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Track_Bully View Post
    Bring back Mukhtar?

I think Nauman Anwar.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    same series he scored a century too coming in at 2-3..... yes 2 runs and 3 wickets gone... century in england , how many PAK players have scored centuries in england?... he had one series and scored a hundred and 90, had he played selfishly for another hundred he could have made 2 in that series... shehzadians still vouch for his name for the century he made in NZL and SA....

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    People who were made to look silly by Sharjeel coming out in droves now that he's gone.

He was definitely a special talent. Show me another timer like him with brute force in world cricket, able to take on the world's best ODI attack. Guptill's the only other one who's done it. The rest have failed against complete bowling attacks.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 17th March 2017 at 19:00.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamzakhalid View Post
    I think Nauman Anwar.
    Neither are ready. It'd be a waste of time.

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    People who were made to look silly by Sharjeel coming out in droves now that he's gone.

He was definitely a special talent. Show me another timer like him with brute force in world cricket, able to take on the world's best ODI attack. Guptill's the only other one who's done it. The rest have failed against complete bowling attacks.
    True.

IMO losing him is a bigger blow to us in ODIS than Amir was.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 17th March 2017 at 19:00.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    United States
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, there still hasn't been a conviction with regards to Sharjeel. He maybe banned only for a few months...

"Our caravan leader is the pride of the world, Mustafa"

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ummm, Sharjeel was probably the best LOI opener in the world. Even Warner wouldn't have performed against the best bowling attack of this generation, away, AT THEIR HOME.

At the end of a stressful, depressing day, a dose of cricket is what can cheer us up.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither are ready. It'd be a waste of time.
    Then what option do we have Bhai?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3819 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Ummm, Sharjeel was probably the best LOI opener in the world. Even Warner wouldn't have performed against the best bowling attack of this generation, away, AT THEIR HOME.
    That is a ridiculous claim with nothing to back it up, one series does not make you the best in the world, and it's not as if he set the world alight and broke records; he only scored 3 fifties and threw his wicket away every single time after putting Pakistan in a strong position.

He was not even comparable to the likes of Warner, QdK, Guptill, Sharma, Roy and Hales at this point. Not even comparable. However, he had a lot of ability and could have develop into a world class opener.

Since his ban, people have started to overstate him whilst ignoring the obvious flaws in his game that prevented him from producing anything substantial prior to the Australian ODI series. Reading some of the comments, you would think that he was a mix of Viv Richards and Sehwag. Calling him the best opener in the world is exactly the kind of overrating that needs to stop.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That is a ridiculous claim with nothing to back it up, one series does not make you the best in the world, and it's not as if he set the world alight and broke records; he only scored 3 fifties and threw his wicket away every single time after putting Pakistan in a strong position.

He was not even comparable to the likes of Warner, QdK, Guptill, Sharma, Roy and Hales at this point. Not even comparable. However, he had a lot of ability and could have develop into a world class opener.

Since his ban, people have started to overstate him whilst ignoring the obvious flaws in his game that prevented him from producing anything substantial prior to the Australian ODI series. Reading some of the comments, you would think that he was a mix of Viv Richards and Sehwag. Calling him the best opener in the world is exactly the kind of overrating that needs to stop.
    If you call that overrating, that's your opinion.

Honestly, he walks into any modern LOI XI as an opener, and nobody displaces him. No current opener from this era has had such an amazing tour against the best bowling opposition, at their home.

And he was only finding his feet in intl cricket.

At the end of a stressful, depressing day, a dose of cricket is what can cheer us up.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    superb comments regarding amir and what, glad they are aware of just how crap they have both been and glad to see the honeymoon is over for them - or at least if sarfraz and the selection committee stick to these words.

its time for them to deliver, and if they can't - which seems like - make way for someone who might.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Beijing, China
    Runs
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think people are overrating him.

I still consider him a hackish player with ability to perform one off.

The Australian tour was one of his better ones, but no need to try to elevate him to something he was not. He had potential but Umar Akmal had potential too, and look where he is now, 8 years later.

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

Pakistan’s limited-overs captain Sarfraz Ahmed has admitted that the loss of Sharjeel Khan is a blow to his squad but has backed the newcomers to fill the void on the upcoming tour of the West Indies.

Sharjeel, in the past 12 months, had emerged as a potent weapon up the order but was suspended by the Pakistan Cricket Board for his alleged part in the infamous spot-fixing scandal during the first week of the Pakistan Super League.

“It’s saddening when you lose some players who are perfect for the setup,” said Sarfraz while talking to reporters at the National Cricket Academy in Lahore. “Sharjeel was the type of player who we needed as he was perfect for the contemporary run-and-gun style of cricket.”

To lose a player of his quality, says Sarfraz, a bitter blow, but one his team is prepared to overcome. “He isn’t with us anymore so of course it will affect us but I have full faith in the newcomers and they will translate their domestic form at international level.”

The skipper also insisted that the decision to drop his predecessor Azhar Ali from the team altogether doesn’t mean his career is necessarily over.

Kamran Akmal not competing with Sarfraz Ahmed

“He [Azhar] hasn’t been discarded or forced out; if that was the case then he would not have been in the training camp either,” explained Sarfraz. “We simply wanted to benefit from the purple patch of in-form players, which is why we picked top domestic performers.”

Sarfraz did, however, fire a warning in the direction of Wahab Riaz and Mohammad Amir to up their game in the Caribbean as the senior members of a pace unit that hasn’t delivered the goods on their recent travels.

“We have talked to our senior pacers [Wahab and Amir] that they now have enough matches under their belt and need to start winning matches for Pakistan,” said Sarfraz. “And I’m sure they will do just that.”

Sarfraz Ahmed celebrates win against Peshawar with a hilariously awkward dance

The Karachi-born also commented on his own game, saying that he feels his wicketkeeping and batting form are interlinked.

“I feel if my wicketkeeping is up to the mark, my batting will be too; hence, I’ve been working with fielding coach Steve Rixon to identify any weaknesses in my game,” said Sarfraz.

No point in crying over spilt milk now. Sharjeel is gone and rightfully so - good riddance.

Kammy and Shehzad have all the ingredients to succeed and fully expect them to conquer all challenges ahead of them in the UAE and abroad as well. Esp Shehzad who is one of the best young batsman around @Mamoon

With Babar at 3 and Malik, Sarfraz at 4 and 5 respectively - we should have no problem batting at 6 RPO, which is required in the modern era.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post

The Australian tour was one of his better ones, but no need to try to elevate him to something he was not. He had potential but Umar Akmal had potential too, and look where he is now, 8 years later.
    On top of that he had horrendous fitness and was a poor fielder.

I see no difference in the Sharjeel of today vs the one we saw back in 2013-14. Poor outside the off stump and no footwork whatsoever. It was only a matter of time before the wheels came off. I say good riddance.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post
    On top of that he had horrendous fitness and was a poor fielder.

I see no difference in the Sharjeel of today vs the one we saw back in 2013-14. Poor outside the off stump and no footwork whatsoever. It was only a matter of time before the wheels came off. I say good riddance.
    Correct me if i'm wrong but weren't you constantly hoping that he doesn't get banned because he was too valuable?

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think sharjeel was improving with every series. His off side game had improved quite a bit and he was scoring more consistently. He was definitely vital to the team. Anybody claiming he was the best in the world is wrong but anyone saying he was useless is also wrong. Unfortunately he is done and dusted now.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    Correct me if i'm wrong but weren't you constantly hoping that he doesn't get banned because he was too valuable?
    No not me - there were several others on this forum who were/are Sharjeel apologists despite all the evidence pointing against him. Cannot name them but you can easily identify them by reading their posts.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post

its the timidness of our batting order that elevates sharjeel, he masked many deficiencies that will be brutally exposed in the CT unless Kamran doesnt fail as always or unless Shezhad reinvents himself

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Dhaka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Already 'was'. What a waste!

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3819 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    If you call that overrating, that's your opinion.

Honestly, he walks into any modern LOI XI as an opener, and nobody displaces him. No current opener from this era has had such an amazing tour against the best bowling opposition, at their home.

And he was only finding his feet in intl cricket.
    Not at the moment. He is below Warner, QdK, Guptill, Sharma, Roy and Hales at this point, but obviously he had the ability to match them in the long run. Potential ≠ performance.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not at the moment. He is below Warner, QdK, Guptill, Sharma, Roy and Hales at this point, but obviously he had the ability to match them in the long run. Potential ≠ performance.
    What has he done.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3819 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    What has he done.
    Threw away a decade of Tests, ODIs and T20Is for spare change. Good riddance though.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Threw away a decade of Tests, ODIs and T20Is for spare change. Good riddance though.
    Very poor judgement from him I must say.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very poor judgement from him I must say.
    I'm glad he got caught when he was still a relatively new player and not an established star.

It would have sucked had he reached star status and then thrown an important match in a WC.

People are hyping him to no end. May I remind you that he still only averaged in the low thirties, the same as Shehzad. However, the last series is fresh on their minds because he scored three fifties in it. It also shows our standard that we are going gaga over three fifties in Australia and in all of those innings he threw it away and put the team in a tricky spot.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    No point in crying over spilt milk now. Sharjeel is gone and rightfully so - good riddance.

Kammy and Shehzad have all the ingredients to succeed and fully expect them to conquer all challenges ahead of them in the UAE and abroad as well. Esp Shehzad who is one of the best young batsman around @Mamoon

With Babar at 3 and Malik, Sarfraz at 4 and 5 respectively - we should have no problem batting at 6 RPO, which is required in the modern era.
    Kammy has all the ingredients to succeed....after a career spanning one decade worth failure after failure and an Afridi-esque average 'Kammy' at the ripe old age (when reflexes, reactions are slowing) of 35 will become Sobers and become the world-beater which he never was when he was younger.

How can you people say all this with a straight face?

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakpak View Post
    Kammy has all the ingredients to succeed....after a career spanning one decade worth failure after failure and an Afridi-esque average 'Kammy' at the ripe old age (when reflexes, reactions are slowing) of 35 will become Sobers and become the world-beater which he never was when he was younger.

How can you people say all this with a straight face?
    He is yet to be played as a specialist batsman and the slow low wickets of WI will suit him since they are similar to our domestic pitches. Deserves a fair chance on merit.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    NO, he wasn't - not even remotely close. People are a bit overwhelmed with his shot making ability, because of the comparison with other PAK openers like Azhar, Shehzad. He was a very good T20 potential, but at best a good ODI prospect. Modern cricketer doesn't mean only quick fire 30s & 40s, but no other contribution.

He was poor in fielding (not pathetic, because he can catch at slips) & absolute disgrace in terms of fitness which has two negatives - can't field in out field & can't run while batting. But the 2nd one is more damaging - stamina. After all these heroics, his only score over 70 balls is against Ireland (in fact only 3 innings over 60 balls), because of his pathetic fitness. It's synonymous to why Inzi had only 8 ODI hundreds, instead of at least 3 times - just don't have the steam to carry for 25+ overs, that too batting first.

Besides, he is as single dimensional as it comes - can't bowl, can't field, can't run, can't stay for long. In cricket, there is a novelty factor - we probably won't ever know, how he would have reacted once International teams had a good idea of his firing range to adopt their strategy. Already, Aussies knocked him few times with off-spinners bowling round the wicket.

But yes, potential was there, as he was entering his best few years & Arthur was there to help him. Sadly, he is paying for a bad company he enjoyed long, long back; may be even before debuting for PAK.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is yet to be played as a specialist batsman and the slow low wickets of WI will suit him since they are similar to our domestic pitches. Deserves a fair chance on merit.
    It's not like Kami is playing in the WI for the very first time. He has already played there and has a beastly average of 24 in WI which is 2 runs lower than his overall ODI average.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    No he doesn't. He has been 'given plenty of chance on merit' before and failed, that too when he was younger and much fitter. Even now, he failed in 7/10 matches in PSL and did well in only 30% of the games. Which mimicks his failed international career and is highlighted in an average only higher 2 runs than Afridi's.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It's not like Kami is playing in the WI for the very first time. He has already played there and has a beastly average of 24 in WI which is 2 runs lower than his overall ODI average.
    Well said. This delusion that he will come good now, at 35, when he failed in over 200 limited over games....well, if that keeps his fans happy what can we say? our country likes mediocrity and TTFs. Why bash Inzi if the fans are like msb314?

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well said. This delusion that he will come good now, at 35, when he failed in over 200 limited over games....well, if that keeps his fans happy what can we say? our country likes mediocrity and TTFs. Why bash Inzi if the fans are like msb314?
    Not just msb, there are several here who hailed Kami's selection as a masterstroke and need of the hour for the team.

No wonder we are frolicking at number 8 in the rankings.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No he doesn't. He has been 'given plenty of chance on merit' before and failed, that too when he was younger and much fitter. Even now, he failed in 7/10 matches in PSL and did well in only 30% of the games. Which mimicks his failed international career and is highlighted in an average only higher 2 runs than Afridi's.
    Past performances are only a good indicator if a player has been playing continuously. Kammy has been away from the national team for 3 years now and it seems like he has improved given his domestic and PSL form.

Without the pressure of keeping - he may have a clear mind and play better than before. Would like to him a chance for this series and if he succeeds - keep him WC 2019 and if not - drop him forever..

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Past performances are only a good indicator if a player has been playing continuously. Kammy has been away from the national team for 3 years now and it seems like he has improved given his domestic and PSL form.

Without the pressure of keeping - he may have a clear mind and play better than before. Would like to him a chance for this series and if he succeeds - keep him WC 2019 and if not - drop him forever..
    His good domestic performances before meant nothing too as he still failed in his international stints over 200 games and FIFTEEN years, goodness sake. That too when he was younger, let alone at 35! Stop making excuses for him re: keeping. And even his PSL was poor. 3 out 10 innings is a torrid run. Some players are simply not meant to be regular at international stage, regardless of their domestic prowess. Ramprakash is an example.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Just 1 hundred and that too against Ireland and people think he was the best opener in the world?

He was an upgrade over Shehzad, Azhar, and Hafeez but QDK, Warner, Hales, Roy, Guptill, and Sharma were far superior openers.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel has had a meteoric and consistent rise in the odi squad: let me put this out there, even if they akmal and shehzad play at their best, they will come a distant second. I can't see either player doing, for insance, what Sharjeel managed in the odi leg of the Aus tour.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    Just 1 hundred and that too against Ireland and people think he was the best opener in the world?

He was an upgrade over Shehzad, Azhar, and Hafeez but QDK, Warner, Hales, Roy, Guptill, and Sharma were far superior openers.
    yeah but those other guys dont play for Pakistan.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    yeah but those other guys dont play for Pakistan.
    We have experts on here claiming that Sharjeel would walk into most international sides as an opener which is laughable because those teams have the kind of the blokes that the poster you quoted has mentioned.

All said and done Sharjeel just had 1 century that too against Ireland and a paltry average of 33 which is nothing special to write home about. He was hyped up because the other batsmen in our team had a habit of playing slow.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    We have experts on here claiming that Sharjeel would walk into most international sides as an opener which is laughable because those teams have the kind of the blokes that the poster you quoted has mentioned.

All said and done Sharjeel just had 1 century that too against Ireland and a paltry average of 33 which is nothing special to write home about. He was hyped up because the other batsmen in our team had a habit of playing slow.
    I can't think of any batsman who can repeat his performance in odis vs Australia. Pakistani batsman, that is

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kinda agree. No doubt he was useful for quick-starts, but he had 2 areas to strike the ball. Sooner or later, he was going to be exposed (like sehwag post 35) and any decent team was expected to make fun of it, a walking wicket. On the other hand, whether we like it or not, Kamran Akmal and Shahzad are here on merit and they can do as good as any opener around.

But I still believe that we should stop acting like saints and must handle fixers in a sophisticated. There's a saying in urdu that 'Apni kameez uthaoge to apna hi pait nanga hoga'. We're the one losing our best players over fixing, we must realize that and save them instead of acting like a saint and pointing all the bad towards it. Look at the way BCCI handled Dhoni's fixing claims in good days.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel was a good player who was improving, but calling him a special talent is OTT.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Scot-la-la-land
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel was decent. Nothing overly special in my opinion. He was strong on the leg side and developing his off side game.

I think the thing which made Sharjeel seem like one of the greatest LO batsmen in the world to some PPers, is the fact that Pakistan really needs an explosive batsmen like Sharjeel in our limited overs side. I don't think it was ever to do with how good Sharjeel actually was.

He was good & gave our batting line up a much needed boost. However, out of the current international openers, I would rather go for Warner, even Finch, Q de Kock or Guptill off the top of my head.

I put Sharjeel in a similar bracket to Jason Roy or possibly even Lolesh Rahul. A promising new comer, whos played a few good knocks, but still had/has a hell of a lot to prove.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Sharjeel was a good player who was improving, but calling him a special talent is OTT.
    Why wasn't he a special talent?

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was well on his way to becoming a brilliant opener.

True, people are overrating his performances and he was not even close to being the best in the world, but his timing (especially against the pacers) was absolutely sublime and the pace at which he was improving was incredibly encouraging.

A very unpakistani batsman who was vital in turning our limited over fortunes around. The fact that he's replaced with Akmal and Shehzad makes it that much worse.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why wasn't he a special talent?
    Read post number 46

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I think he is a genuine loss to Pakistan odi cricket in recent times. I would trade every Pakistan batsman in the current line up for him (including Babar Azam)

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Read post number 46
    Load of rubbish.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Load of rubbish.

So him having rubbish fitness is rubbish? And his catching was good but his athletcicm in the field was non existent.

One thing MMHS forgot to add was his game awareness. There were many times when he was set and after he hit a few boundaries in a row, he would go for another and get out.

He was definitely improving but not the special talent you make him out to be.

Other than Australia series he was inconsistent.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So him having rubbish fitness is rubbish? And his catching was good but his athletcicm in the field was non existent.

One thing MMHS forgot to add was his game awareness. There were many times when he was set and after he hit a few boundaries in a row, he would go for another and get out.

Go look at Sharjeel's wagon wheel in Australia.

Talent is something you're born with and you can identify it before a player plays to his potential. His ability to pick up length, hand-eye coordination, timing, bat speed, and to be able to do that against 150k bowlers with ease is talent.

You can argue he hasn't racked up the runs to be called world class etc. but to downplay his natural ability is laughable. There are probably two other batsmen in world cricket who can provide starts against a gun attack like that and he did that in his first series there. He impressed pretty much everyone in Australia and they identify talented players better than anyone.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Even with his obvious fitness issues I think he was a bigger more important part of the team than Babar Azam

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And on top of that he had an alright test debut. In one days he was scoring at SR of 110

Sharjeel what on earth were you thinking mate.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Go look at Sharjeel's wagon wheel in Australia.

Talent is something you're born with and you can identify it before a player plays to his potential. His ability to pick up length, hand-eye coordination, timing, bat speed, and to be able to do that against 150k bowlers with ease is talent.

You can argue he hasn't racked up the runs to be called world class etc. but to downplay his natural ability is laughable. There are probably two other batsmen in world cricket who can provide starts against a gun attack like that and he did that in his first series there. He impressed pretty much everyone in Australia and they identify talented players better than anyone.

I didn't downplay his talent . I'm just not going to call him a special talent because he had one good series.

He had talent but still was inconsistent LOL. 1 century vs Ireland and couldn't last more than 60 balls . Special talent oh right .

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    Even with his obvious fitness issues I think he was a bigger more important part of the team than Babar Azam
    Yes because he had the gears that our other batsmen didn't have. Never said he wasn't an important player. Just saying he's not a special talent which someone is claiming.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't downplay his talent . I'm just not going to call him a special talent because he had one good series.

He had talent but still was inconsistent LOL. 1 century vs Ireland and couldn't last more than 60 balls . Special talent oh right .
    Yeah didn't last more than 60 balls but still did half of your team's scoring.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes because he had the gears that our other batsmen didn't have. Never said he wasn't an important player. Just saying he's not a special talent which someone is claiming.
    I don't think you've watched enough cricket then or know about talent in batting.

Ability to pick up length, timing, balance, power, stance, bat speed and reflexes are/were super.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can't wait for Fakhar to bash WI so that we can start to forget Sharjeel soon. We're massively hungover him.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen4 View Post
    can't wait for Fakhar to bash WI so that we can start to forget Sharjeel soon. We're massively hungover him.
    I don't see Fakhar Zaman doing well against top 5.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see Fakhar Zaman doing well against top 5.
    he can improve, let's hope for the best, Sarfraz should make him fight in the matches.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I think that's subjective. But I have to be honest, he seemed far more accompalished than any Pak odi batsman for the last decade. I mean ppl were excited about Umar Akmal basis that breakout century against Sri Lanka, but this guy is an opener basing Aussie bowlers down the ground with consumate ease.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It is well deserved. And fakahr will also be rated when he is able to do that against the big boys

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Almere, Netherlands
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly! We have to just forget Sharjeel and let Fakhar develop under Mickey. If given enough time and chances, Im sure he will improve just like Sharjeel did with the guidance of Mickey. in sha Allah.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amirforpresident View Post
    Exactly! We have to just forget Sharjeel and let Fakhar develop under Mickey. If given enough time and chances, Im sure he will improve just like Sharjeel did with the guidance of Mickey. in sha Allah.
    100% agreed, Flower should make Fakhar better, he can improve.
    Fakhar will be hungry for success. We have to give him proper chance like we gave Sharjeel a proper chance to improve and perform.