Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

"You should give death penalty to such people" : Javed Miandad

Former Pakistan captain Javed Miandad hates the ugly match-fixing aspect of cricket with a passion, so much so that he has suggested a very extreme deterrence technique.

The 59-year-old believes those found guilty of corrupting the gentleman’s game should be made an example out of and given capital punishment, which in turn would keep others from ever doing the same.

“Authorities must take measures to stop this [corruption in cricket],” said Miandad, when quizzed by reporters on ways to curb match-fixing in the light of the latest scandal to hit Pakistan cricket.

Miandad defends Imran’s ‘phateechar’ remarks

“Why don’t you take strong measures? You should give death penalty to such people. We must not tolerate such things, not at all.”

Another great Abdul Qadir also agrees that players involved in corruption should be hanged, although unlike Miandad his recommended punishment was more figurative rather than literal.

In a TV show, Qadir claimed that the current crop of Sharjeel, Salman Butt, Muhammad Asif and Danish Kaneria would have never been tempted by illicit monies had big-name cricketers of the past been handed the punishment they deserved.

Miandad, Nawaz among legends not invited to PSL final

“Had you hanged Wasim Akram, Inzamam, Mushtaq Ahmed — there’s an entire list — instead of giving them a slap on the wrist, what’s happening now would’ve never happened,” said the leg-spin legend.

“Ataur Rehman and Salim Malik were made the scapegoats, and even they would’ve escaped if they carried cricketing value or were in their prime. The way of our country is to nab the smaller culprit and let the bigger one go.

“All of Wasim, Waqar, Inzamam and Mushtaq either currently work or have previously worked within the PCB. Why weren’t the recommendations of Justice Qayyum’s report enforced?”

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1357948...harjeel-latif/

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thora ziada ho gaya

Please allow me to introduce myself: I'm a man of wealth & taste.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

“Had you hanged Wasim Akram, Inzamam, Mushtaq Ahmed — there’s an entire list — instead of giving them a slap on the wrist, what’s happening now would’ve never happened,” said the leg-spin legend.
    This should be fun...

Please allow me to introduce myself: I'm a man of wealth & taste.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    BANGLORE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pakpassion is much more interesting than any social network sites.
    whenever pcb or ex players run their mouth its soo entertaining that i logged in pakpassion more often than facebook.
    here's the great example . i mean seriously were else in the world one would find such drama and unprofessionalism. hats off to these so called legend .
    i mean i agree he is legend in cricketing field but one shouldn't be called as legend unless they behave like one outside the field too.
    oops who can forget monkey jump .
    thanks for the entertainment Pakistan.
    carry on.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    This should be fun...
    Must say even by Abdul Qadir's standards....

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hold on to the popcorns...full entertainment

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wooooaaahhh. Partially agree. Would love it if fixers were given life sentences but maybe not Death penalty because then that would become a joke. But I know for sure, if someone was given the death penalty to make an impression, nobody would ever think of fixing again..

Anyway, things are going to get really, really, really bad now. But what Qadir said isn't a lie, Wasim Akram while being a legendary bowler is also a legendary fixer. Boys these days spot fix which is nothing, Wasim fixed entire matches and lost Pakistan games.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post
    Wooooaaahhh. Partially agree. Would love it if fixers were given life sentences but maybe not Death penalty because then that would become a joke. But I know for sure, if someone was given the death penalty to make an impression, nobody would ever think of fixing again..

Anyway, things are going to get really, really, really bad now. But what Qadir said isn't a lie, Wasim Akram while being a legendary bowler is also a legendary fixer. Boys these days spot fix which is nothing, Wasim fixed entire matches and lost Pakistan games.
    I think life ban is the only practical method of deterence. I dont think life improsonment is given even in European football leagues for the match fixing scandals (in Italy for example)

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by karthikc View Post
    I think life ban is the only practical method of deterence. I dont think life improsonment is given even in European football leagues for the match fixing scandals (in Italy for example)
    Yeah agreed. But I don't think Europe even practices Death Sentences on rapists and murderers anymore so why would they give life imprisonment to a match fixer.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    BTW, Miandad did not say cricketers should have death penalty; he could have been referring to Bookies which is a fair comment.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is he any better in case worse

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All match/spot fixers from all countries should have been handed life bans right from the very start. It's too late now.

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn’t arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1372 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    I'm flabbergasted.

Abdul Qadir has just argued that the following should have been executed after Justice Qayyum found against them in the 1994/1995 matchfixing cases:

Wasim Akram
    Inzamam-ul-Haq
    Mushtaq Ahmed

Wow, wow, wow!

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks like Inzaman and Mushtaq jobs are in threat. If Miandad and Qadir replace them it will be end our our cricket

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they start hanging every corrupt person in Pakistan, starting from the top, you can all imagine , what will left.

Wasim, Waqar, Inzi, Mushi and other elites were too big a names to be banned.

People at top are never punished in Pakistan.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometime i wonder, how these Ex players were so good at their game but at the same time plain simple stupid

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    I'm flabbergasted.

Abdul Qadir has just argued that the following should have been executed after Justice Qayyum found against them in the 1994/1995 matchfixing cases:

Wasim Akram
    Inzamam-ul-Haq
    Mushtaq Ahmed

Wow, wow, wow!
    The way it must have been said in urdu I am sure it was meant in a fugurative way. You can only understand the meaning if you are familiar with the language.

The meaning of "hang them" can be loosely translated as to punish heavily.

Pakistani batsmen - An endangered species?

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A career ban would suffice, Mr Miandad...goodness me

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    878 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Halkay tou ana hi nahi hai

Inzi is the best selector in the world

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did Miandad not select some/all of these players when he was coach of the national side? He even selected Mushtaq Ahmed after giving evidence against him and calling him a fixer.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    If they start hanging every corrupt person in Pakistan, starting from the top, you can all imagine , what will left.

Wasim, Waqar, Inzi, Mushi and other elites were too big a names to be banned.

People at top are never punished Anywhere.
    This is a worldwide problem, not just a Pakistan one. That said if they had started handing out life bans early on Miandad is correct, none of these things would have ever happened.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Rawalpindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Has to be figurative use of words. We all know how much they think before they speak.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BTW, Miandad did not say cricketers should have death penalty; he could have been referring to Bookies which is a fair comment.
    How is it fair?
    I would say maximum 5 years... we are talking about sports.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1050 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Halkay tou ana hi nahi hai

haha level hai sir ka hai

Wasay he may have meant it figuratively where death penalty - life ban and jail time or sth

#MPGA

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Someone is angry

Y'all don't get it, he speaks from heart when it comes to Pak cricket

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Dhaka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thoda jyada nehi ho gaya bhai??

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol... now that's a bit too extreme.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    SW Uk
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tainted politician's, tainted army generals, tainted police, tainted religious leaders, tainted media, brains washed Awaam hypocrisy at its best

Wipe the floor with everyone that is tainted. Start from scratch, stuggle for next 5/6 years and bring forward a new and better Pakistan

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is that a fair comment?

Bookie deserve to be hanged for indulging in betting and partnering greedy players?

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bookies being given death penalty is a fair comment?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachin136 View Post
    Bookies being given death penalty is a fair comment?
    It is an opinion. He is not saying cricketers should be hanged. He is asking for criminals sitting outside who run these networks which threaten people etc to be hanged.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate how people use Justice Qayyum's report to think that Wasim et al were involved in fixing.. when in fact the conclusion of the report was that there was no conclusive evidence against them, but that there was some suspicion in which case Wasim in particular should not captain Pakistan.

Suspicion vs Conviction: look it up in the dictionary. If we were to punish everyone we suspected.. no one would be innocent.

Have the players going forward, just need coaching&professionalism! #1 priority: fielding

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1372 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfiqar View Post
    I hate how people use Justice Qayyum's report to think that Wasim et al were involved in fixing.. when in fact the conclusion of the report was that there was no conclusive evidence against them, but that there was some suspicion in which case Wasim in particular should not captain Pakistan.

Suspicion vs Conviction: look it up in the dictionary. If we were to punish everyone we suspected.. no one would be innocent.
    I suggest that you re-read the report and Qayyum's later "soft corner" comment about Wasim Akram.

There was detailed evidence from Ataur Rehman that the player induced others in the dressing room to fix in New Zealand in 1993-94. Evidence which was later withdrawn for unexplained reasons. Qayyum later admitted that he discounted that evidence because he had a "soft corner" for Wasim Akram. Had he acted on that evidence, things would be very different.

As for Inzamam, Mushtaq Ahmed and Saeed Anwar, they refused to provide key testimony when under oath. The findings against them equate to what in UK criminal law would either equate to Perverting The Course of Justice or Perjury. Again, the Qayyum Report deals with this in detail.
    Last edited by Junaids; 17th March 2017 at 21:10.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shut up Miandad. A life ban should be enough a punishment for match fixers. Many do it because they are always living on the margin and in financial trouble at all times.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by karthikc View Post
    On the contrary - I would argue fixing is actually a form of treason since the PCB falls under government legislature the perpetrator provides inside information about the team and their expected performance to bookies (which is essentially government information).

I would support a long jail sentence - if not a life sentence for such crimes.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Death Penalty for bookies??

Arrest them or seal their financial assets at most but death penalty for something as worthless (In comparision to human life) as sports!!!
    Last edited by MenInG; 18th March 2017 at 06:31.

Umar Akmal, Sohaib Maqsood [Mindless Sloggers]

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    I suggest that you re-read the report and Qayyum's later "soft corner" comment about Wasim Akram.

There was detailed evidence from Ataur Rehman that the player induced others in the dressing room to fix in New Zealand in 1993-94. Evidence which was later withdrawn for unexplained reasons. Qayyum later admitted that he discounted that evidence because he had a "soft corner" for Wasim Akram. Had he acted on that evidence, things would be very different.

As for Inzamam, Mushtaq Ahmed and Saeed Anwar, they refused to provide key testimony when under oath. The findings against them equate to what in UK criminal law would either equate to Perverting The Course of Justice or Perjury. Again, the Qayyum Report deals with this in detail.
    I don't know what evidence was withdrawn. AtaurRahman though withdrew his testimony, so it was dismissed. Either way, the competence of the judge himself is in question as he admitted he had a soft corner, implying that if he had acted with integrity the conclusion would've been different. For me the judge invalidates almost everything he suggests the moment he says that his "soft corner" for wasim akram altered his judgement.

Have the players going forward, just need coaching&professionalism! #1 priority: fielding

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Killers are rapists are out on the street, but match-fixers should be killed?

Jail them for life if you want, but no need to be hyperbolic for shock factor.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Bluestone View Post
    Killers are rapists are out on the street, but match-fixers should be killed?

Jail them for life if you want, but no need to be hyperbolic for shock factor.
    It doesn't make sense to jail them either, for something they did in a sport. The strictest punishment should be a fine and a life ban.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First he needs to get the facts right. Inzamam wasn't named in the Justice Qayyum's report.

Secondly he should tell me the punishment for somebody falsely accusing someone for match fixing

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachin136 View Post
    It doesn't make sense to jail them either, for something they did in a sport. The strictest punishment should be a fine and a life ban.
    Sport is a multi billion dollar business. This is no different than any other white collar crime.