Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"I don't consider spot-fixing a mistake, I think it's a crime" : Mohammad Hafeez

Veteran all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez thinks players proven guilty of corruption in cricket should be punished to the fullest so that people think twice before committing such a felony.

Hafeez was talking to the members of Sports Journalists Association of Lahore when he revealed that his stance was, is and will always remain the same regarding players convicted of spot-fixing.

“Everyone can have their opinion but mine is quite strong on spot-fixing,” said Hafeez. “It is a principled stance. It didn’t change for any individual and neither will it. The stance is that whoever hurts the reputation of Pakistan and is proven guilty, he shouldn’t get that respect back. It is that simple.”

The 36-year-old said that the Pakistan Super League (PSL) corruption scandal, under which five players have already been suspended, is a painful reality which everyone related to cricket is facing.

“It is a painful reality that we are facing now,” he said. “I can’t talk about it since anything hasn’t been proven yet, but the occurrence of such a case within the confines of Pakistan cricket is painful.”

He further explained why Pakistani cricketers are hurt after the incident. “The reason is that after the 2010 incident, we put a lot of curfews on ourselves to stay away from it [corruption].”

Right-hand batsman feels that a person admitting to have committed spot-fixing but only by mistake is a liar. “Whoever plays for Pakistan is responsible to uphold the respect that he gets, on an individual level. And if someone tells me that it was a mistake, I don’t consider it that, I will say he is lying, I think it’s a crime.”

Hafeez said the punishment for the guilty players this time around should be enough to put fears in other players’ minds. “It is high time that stern decision is made about players who have been proven guilty to set an example for others. An example of sorts should be made so that everyone should fear doing anything like this ever again.”

West Indies series

Hafeez made his way back into the ODI and T20I squads for the upcoming tour of the West Indies, and he thinks he has earned his selection.

“During the PSL, I struggled a lot with the bat and I was worried but I was delivering as a bowler,” said Hafeez. “I regained by confidence after the innings during the first playoff [against Quetta Gladiators]. Meanwhile, the selectors opt for a player after looking at the conditions and the requirements in the team. I hope to live up to the expectations of the selectors and will try my best to help the team [in West Indies].”

World Cup qualification fear

Pakistan, against the Windies, will be looking to come out victorious in the three-ODI series since a series loss will result in a fall to the ninth position, which will mean that they will have to play qualifiers for the 2019 World Cup and Hafeez thinks inconsistency has brought them here.

“We thought a lot about it and we’ve had discussions on the matter,” said Hafeez. “In my humble capacity, from what I understand, if you look at Pakistan’s limited overs cricket in the past five years, the team was not able to sustain stability. During my tenure as T20 captain, we jumped from ninth position to the second position because of the efforts of the whole team. However, in ODIs, we always kept lurking on the fifth and sixth position.”

He continued: “After the 2015 World Cup, we were seventh and then we lost to Bangladesh who had already beaten some top teams at home. So, inconsistency and a lack of series wins have caused us to drop to eighth.”

Hafeez said someone needs to stand up and take responsibility of the team’s downward spiral in limited overs cricket because you cannot expect improvement without it.

“It is a question mark on the performance of all players, officials and policy makers,” he said. “No single person is responsible, we need to reconsider our policy, the management needs to rethink their strategy and as a player I am the first one who will take responsibility for it. Because I think, the only way towards reconciliation is by taking responsibility of the wrongs and then moving forward towards improvement.”

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1359099...-crime-hafeez/

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Instagram!

Please also follow PakPassion Sport!

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is also criminal to keep hogging a spot in the team despite zero performance and using your connections or friends in the media to get into the side.

Demons run when a good man goes to war
    GO NAWAZ GO!

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Meanwhile, the selectors opt for a player after looking at the conditions and the requirements in the team. I hope to live up to the expectations of the selectors and will try my best to help the team [in West Indies].”
    LOL.

There is no requirement for you in the team.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1253 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    To be fair to Hafeez, he was always consistent in his opposition to players with spot-fixing background. Azhar and he were probably strong-armed into accepting Amir in the team by the PCB.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes it is.

But, you along with Malik batting for Pak and chickening out against half decent opposition or in tournaments is a crime as well.

At the end of a stressful, depressing day, a dose of cricket is what can cheer us up.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your consistent selection is another crime

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    A lot of mocking and ridiculing of Hafeez, maybe he would get some support if he spot fixed.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    To be fair to Hafeez, he was always consistent in his opposition to players with spot-fixing background. Azhar and he were probably strong-armed into accepting Amir in the team by the PCB.
    And when PCB bigs, sheheryar and sethi, sat with hafeez at that time, according to hafeez they told him " Amir is coming back into team, now you decide you want to be in team or not". Reference his interview on TV. PCB and its zero tolerance on fixing
    Last edited by MenInG; 18th March 2017 at 15:33.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    A lot of mocking and ridiculing of Hafeez, maybe he would get some support if he spot fixed.
    people going personal against hafeez for his comments for no reason

Proximity to power deludes some into thinking they wield it.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    We should split this interview across two threads: so that I can agree with his stance on matchfixing in one thread and then to mock him about his performance in the other thread.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    People are mocking his game, whereas you are mocking people as if they are supporter of spot fixing. Pathetic.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    SW Uk
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with Hafiz A mistake is something that is not pre mediated or a lapse in judgment. not deliberate act

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he speaks the truth, 100% agreed.
    Fixers should get life bans. And past fixers should not return anymore, especially Butt.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dear hafeez,

Well we all dont consider you as an opener, can u pls quit opening and bat at no.6 or 7.... moreover you are not a test cricketer, pls retire like malik from that format and never open in any format as you cant play swing/seam or any movement off the pitch.....

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MoHa is speaking like he is law enforcement who also happens to be a legendary cricketer.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hafeez says nice things but perform pathetically in competitive conditions even then somehow managed to stay in the team.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    He is a complete hypocrite.

I don't consider chucking a mistake. It's a form of cheating to defraud batsmen of their wickets.

And yet he is a serial chucker.

Mohammad Hafeez is one of those men who is a proven cheat himself, yet is quick to pass judgment on others.

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should be embarrassed about his recent performances instead of giving repeated statements to the media. Terrible form and it's time he read the writing on the wall instead of using his seniority and 'profressor-brain' to stay in the team.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Sounds hypocritical from someone who doesn't seem to be getting selected on merit and was caught for chucking.

I respect his opinion (and it's a great one) but it's perhaps not the right time to make such statements when people are questioning your position in the team.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post

I don't consider chucking a mistake. It's a form of cheating to defraud batsmen of their wickets.

Mohammad Hafeez is one of those men who is a proven cheat himself, yet is quick to pass judgment on others.

i think it will be the first time ur comments made me pleased...lolz....yess chucking is a crime specially when the spinner does it....

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think people make an exception when you are cheating to try and help your own team and country win (that is what Afridi, Hafeez, etc did) and when you sell your country for some money. There is a huge degree of difference between both

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Players like Hafeez should only give interviews when they are at their peak and have just helped their team win a match otherwise fans will not take their opinions seriously.

Tum mujhe bhaga sako aisa ho nahi sakta aur tum mere begair bhaago yeh main hone nahi dunga - Viru

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Both Hafeez and Misbah appeared to be most powerful cricketer in term of get rid of!!!!

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Players like Hafeez should only give interviews when they are at their peak and have just helped their team win a match otherwise fans will not take their opinions seriously.
    he cant help it if Paksitan's cricket schedule is stacked against him - a year in which Pakistan had to face England, Australia, and NZ away - hafeez wont have many opportunties to give interviews. He will have plenty to say till the windies series is over. Expect radio silence post CT

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Essex
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bit of a ridiculous comparison. Clutching at straws.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You playing in the team is also hurting Pakistan,please make room for youngsters.