User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

"Players found to be involved in spot-fixing should be banned for life" : Misbah-ul-Haq

Pakistan Test captain Misbah-ul-Haq has finally broken his silence on the spot-fixing scandal which hit the recently-concluded Pakistan Super League second edition.

Talking to media earlier today, the veteran captain called for a life ban on players found guilty of spot-fixing.

“Those players found to be involved in spot-fixing should be banned for life. We are very disappointed this happened,” Misbah said, adding that strict action must also be taken against former batsman Nasir Jamshed, who is under investigation for facilitating contact between the suspended players and bookies.

The 42-year-old captain lamented that the fixing scandal has tarnished the image of Pakistan cricket.

“It appears that the [positive] image for Pakistan cricket we had strived to build for the past seven years has been wasted,” Misbah said.

About the upcoming tour to West Indies, the skipper said he anticipates the series to be tough, adding that the West Indies’ players know how to leverage their home conditions to their advantage.

Cricketers Sharjeel Khan, Khalid Latif, Mohammad Irfan and Shahzaib Hasan have been provisionally suspended from all forms of cricket for violating the Pakistan Cricket Board's anti-corruption code. Sharjeel and Latif, who were suspended during the opening week of the PSL for suspected links with an international fixing syndicate, face a minimum five years’ ban.

Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) has sent notices to cricketers Sharjeel Khan, Nasir Jamshed, Khalid Latif and Muhammad Irfan for their role in spot fixing during Pakistan Super League 2017.

Batsman Shahzaib, who was charged and suspended on Friday, also faces a minimum five years' ban. Fast bowler Mohammad Irfan faces a minimum six months' ban.

Nasir Jamshed, who resides in the UK, was suspended during PSL after the PCB said it had 'concrete evidence' against the former opener. He was also arrested along with another suspect by Britain's National Crime Agency last month as part of investigations but later released on bail, according to reports.

http://www.suchtv.pk/sports/item/509...ot-fixing.html
    Last edited by MenInG; 19th March 2017 at 08:28.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misbah was against Amir inclusion but due to PCB hard stance he remain silent. This statement is actually against PCB.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafay Shafiq View Post
    Misbah was against Amir inclusion but due to PCB hard stance he remain silent. This statement is actually against PCB.
    So how come he is close to Mohammad Asif, even visiting him in Oslo?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    He is even in touch with Salman butt. But what I know that Misbah was behind Hafeez and Azhar move

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how will banning the 'new spot fixers' for life will affect the 'old spot fixers'.?

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is even in touch with Salman butt. But what I know that Misbah was behind Hafeez and Azhar move
    What move?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by in_cutter View Post
    What move?
    Their boycott of camp when Amir include.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    606 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yeah, alll cleared and allowed to play by the ICC, not life-banned, and ready for selection.

When someone is selected, they become your team, you back them - it doesn't require Einstein logic.

If you ban them for life, they won't get selected.

At the end of a stressful, depressing day, a dose of cricket is what can cheer us up.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Prove it

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    with Pakistan cricket, its always post event commentary.
    There is a well established wisdom that if you don't nip things in the bud, they come back to haunt you. some of it is backed even by scientific studies (eg Pavlovian conditioning etc). Yet, we make ourselves believe every time "this is the last time I am going to ignore this".....but every time it has come back to haunt Pakistan cricket.
    So while I applaud every ex player/current player asking for life bans, the question must always be: what was your view on Aamir's return to cricket.

People will keep peddling this nonsense that so and so player served his time so he should get to play. It doesn't work like that....once you lose credibility or endanger the credibility of your organization, it should be over for you. If you dont want to ban then, fine don't, but at least dont select them.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1313 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    All these life ban statements from many. Where were these guys a few years ago.

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Why ban for life for domestic cricket.

Seems unfair after the saintly golden trio who are untouchable and whose return had no impact whatsoever on Sharjeel and co thinking it was worth the risk.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3750 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    100% agreed. I am sorry for not opposing the return of the spot-fixing trio, it is now clear to me that these cheats should never be allowed back.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Misbah, talk is cheap, if you're sincere about and care about Pakistan cricket ( which I'm sure you do ) then please first retire and then talk. Or, tell me one benefit to Pakistan cricket with you sticking with team other than looking for some cheap runs after your failure as captain and player against better teams.

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    100% agreed. I am sorry for not opposing the return of the spot-fixing trio, it is now clear to me that these cheats should never be allowed back.
    At least you have the decency to admit it.....

Some people on here still think the trio are saints.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But why?

Life ban or not - it would not have prevented Sharjeel, Khalid etc. from committing their crimes recently.

The only way prevent spot/match fixing is to charge the perpetrators for treason and put them in jail for life

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    875 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gotta feel for Misbah, all his hardwork in building Pakistan's image post 2010 dumped down the drain by greedy players.

That being said Misbah hasn't covered himself in glory in recent weeks by clinging onto the captaincy when it is clearly his time to go.

Inzi is the best selector in the world

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Misbah is right. We should show no mercy on fixers in the future. Hopefully there are none but if there are they should be banned for life.

I wasn't against Amir returning but looking back on it he should have been banned for life. I think if our players know they will be banned for life they will think twice before committing such acts.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1048 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    No he was just playing some random match against asif and smashing him into the car park

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Misbah is right. We should show no mercy on fixers in the future. Hopefully there are none but if there are they should be banned for life.

I wasn't against Amir returning but looking back on it he should have been banned for life. I think if our players know they will be banned for life they will think twice before committing such acts.
    Oh well no worries it's not like we are again a laughing stock.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3750 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post
    But why?

Life ban or not - it would not have prevented Sharjeel, Khalid etc. from committing their crimes recently.

The only way prevent spot/match fixing is to charge the perpetrators for treason and put them in jail for life
    Life ban is a bigger deterrent than a ban for X number of years. Even if it reduces the chances of players fixing by 1%, it is worth it. Jail or not, bringing back fixers after their ban is over is not justifiable.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3750 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GLORY OF '92 View Post
    At least you have the decency to admit it.....

Some people on here still think the trio are saints.

Yes, I don't know what had gotten into me. Wasn't thinking straight, perhaps allowed myself to get influenced by people on this forum because around 2011-2012, I was adamant that they should not be allowed back. However, around 2013-2014, I changed my mind.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I disagree with life bans. Mistakes are made by every human-being and if they serve their punishment and vow to never make the same mistake, then as a morally upright human-being you have to forgive them.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1313 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Seems like the logic at the moment is life bans for some, but not if you are a promising young fast bowler who claimed he was misled.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    690 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    I disagree with life bans. Mistakes are made by every human-being and if they serve their punishment and vow to never make the same mistake, then as a morally upright human-being you have to forgive them.
    Setting a precedent is surely more important?

You don't burn calories by jumping to conclusions.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    Dear Misbah, talk is cheap, if you're sincere about and care about Pakistan cricket ( which I'm sure you do ) then please first retire and then talk. Or, tell me one benefit to Pakistan cricket with you sticking with team other than looking for some cheap runs after your failure as captain and player against better teams.
    how about just sticking to the topic?

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
    Setting a precedent is surely more important?
    It's quite risky just to ban a player for life while basing that ban just off setting a precedent. You can't be sure that the percentage of fixing will come down due to life bans.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    And now people will turn against Misbah............

Funny how Hafeez and Azhar got bashed for these statements and yet after few months you get 5 players being investigated for corruption in cricket

Pakistan cricket and their fans

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Life ban is a bigger deterrent than a ban for X number of years. Even if it reduces the chances of players fixing by 1%, it is worth it. Jail or not, bringing back fixers after their ban is over is not justifiable.
    Salim Malik and Ata ur Rehman were banned for life - did they reduce the chance of fixing by "1%".

The trio fixed and so did Sharjeel, Latif.

Life bans don't do anything and the only solution is to charge the fixers on accounts of treason and jail them for life - even then some jaahils will still try to take their chances.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketfan no 1 View Post
    how about just sticking to the topic?
    My friends its quite simple. Misbah, with his selfish act, not thinking about future of Pakistan cricket, should be the last person to talk about what is good and whats bad for Pakistan cricket . Unless you want to share with me any secret benefit Pakistan cricket going to achieve with his going to West Indies.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3750 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post
    Salim Malik and Ata ur Rehman were banned for life - did they reduce the chance of fixing by "1%".

The trio fixed and so did Sharjeel, Latif.

Life bans don't do anything and the only solution is to charge the fixers on accounts of treason and jail them for life - even then some jaahils will still try to take their chances.
    Saleem Malik was on the brink of retirement and Ata-ur-Rehman was a nobody. Not the best examples. The wrong precedence was set in 2000 when Wasim Akram was pardoned purely down to his status. Yes he too was at the end of his career, but he is one of the biggest superstars the game - let alone Pakistan - has ever produced, and banning him for life would have sent a serious message. The same mistake was made 10 years later, when three key players were not punished by the PCB. Instead, especially in golden boy Amir's case, they continued to plead with the ICC to reduce his punishment and allow him to resume his cricket. What message did it send? If you are talented enough, you will be allowed to continue your career after fulfilling your punishment.

Adopting a zero-tolerance policy is the only way forward. I don't buy the argument that it is not a bigger deterrent than a temporary ban and that it will not discourage the future players from engaging in such activities. The magnitude of the deterrence is actually irrelevant, because the important thing is that it sends a serious message - you get involved in match-fixing, your international career is over. No exceptions. It doesn't matter how old you are or how good you are, you will not be allowed to represent Pakistan again or play cricket at any professional level. Are you telling me that this is not a bigger deterrent than getting banned for X number of years and then resuming your career?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    And now people will turn against Misbah............

Funny how Hafeez and Azhar got bashed for these statements and yet after few months you get 5 players being investigated for corruption in cricket

Pakistan cricket and their fans

No one is going to turn against Misbah for saying this.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pcb should increase the existing surveillance and hire some spies as well to take care of players

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen4 View Post
    Pcb should increase the existing surveillance and hire some spies as well to take care of players
    "spies" this isn't a movie

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani Pace View Post
    "spies" this isn't a movie
    Pcb already monitors their phone calls and every movement. Hiring private spies is only gonna help even more.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    To be honest its the honest players who suffer the most because now whenever they, like every other team, stuff up everyone goes wink wink nudge nudge this guy fixed.

Even players with 10+ year careers have tarnished reputations.

Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I do not want to sound like a broken record but you can't punish someone twice for the same crime.

The trio made a mistake and they served their time. It was PCB's mistake to not ban them for life.

There should have been a zero tolerance policy from day 1.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that we know that amir isnt anything special , can we ban him back please.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Beijing, China
    Runs
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Misbah is 100 percent correct.

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    KARACHI: Pakistan’s Test Captain Misbah-ul Haq on Friday called for life bans and strict enforcement of laws against the players involved in match-fixing or spot fixing in order to rid the game of the menace and ‘ugly things’.

“Anyone found involved in corrupt practices like this should be barred for ever from playing cricket,” said Misbah in an exclusive interview with Dawn here at the National Stadium. “Hard-decisions are required to be made against the culprits to safeguard the future of Pakistan cricket.

Veteran Misbah, now 42, has shown great spirit by leading Faisalabad in the Patron’s Trophy Grade II matches and has regained his form by striking back to back centuries against Hyderabad and Abbotabad ahead of the West Indies tour.

Talking about the recent spot fixing scam involving Pakistani players in the PSL, he said it is important to work on basics of the issue.

“To tackle the corruption issue, we need to work at the grassroots level on properly educating the upcoming players in schools and clubs,” he said. “We must ensure they know everything about the related laws and the authorities should implement the laws strictly.”

“Once the laws are enforced, any player committing any wrongdoing should never be allowed to play cricket. Otherwise it will be difficult for us to control corruption.”

Misbah, however, said he was not aware of the kind of proof that the PCB or the authorities have in the recent PSL scam. “I don’t know what sort of evidences the PCB ACU or ICC have against the suspected players and what procedures will they follow now.”

When asked if he as captain of Islamabad United ever smelled anything fishy, Misbah replied in the negative.

Recalling his long and successful stint as skipper of the Pakistan Test and ODI teams, Misbah who has played 72 Test and 162 ODIs, gave lot of credit to his players for the achievements made.

“During my seven years of captaincy, the efforts of the player were tremendous,” he said. “The way we achieved things, the manner in which the team progressed, all of them gave their hundred percent on and off the field and were much disciplined for which I must thank my players.”

The fact that Pakistan was bestowed with the ICC Spirit of Cricket Award shows how our teams performed both on and off the field and that was exemplary,” said Misbah.

On his future plans, Misbah said there is nothing definite. “But the upcoming tour of the West Indies might be my last. I am looking forward to secure the first series against West Indies on their soil. But it is a big challenge,” he said.

When quizzed further whether PCB has asked him to make a decision after the WI series, Misbah denied it and added: “PCB has given me this chance but they are not forcing me to leave. I am thankful to PCB for the respect they have given me and have left it totally up to me to decide my future in the game.”

Misbah, however, admitted that his wife and son were keen for him to continue playing international cricket. “My wife and my son love the game so much and want me to play on. They have honestly been great support for me.”

Responding to a question about not getting his due as the most successful captain of the country despite surpassing legends like Imran Khan and Javed Miandad, Misbah said he was not really bothered about it. “You play the game for your satisfaction, not for outdoing the others.”

“If people compare me with Imran Khan or Javed Miandad, then it is a matter of great honor for me. They were much greater cricketers than me because with their performances and victories, they enhanced Pakistan’s identity at international level and matched the best in the business.”

Commenting on the revival of international cricket in Pakistan in the wake of staging PSL final in Lahore, he said, this was one of the major steps in that direction.

“The country’s security situation is much better than what it was seven, eight years ago and I sincerely hope that international cricket could return to Pakistan in two years.

Assessing his battled-hardened image as a batsman, Misbah said: “My upbringing has a lot to do with my stoic approach. And the teams I represented were more dependent on me and I used to play bulk of overs and scored lot of runs to get them out of trouble.”.

“So I developed that approach in international cricket and whatever situation I faced came naturally to me. My philosophy was very simple, go out there and give your best.”

After tasting so much success, whatever happened to his team in New Zealand and Australia? Misbah was candid in his reply.

“Once you relax after achieving success, you start coming down,” he said. “In the Test series against the West Indies in UAE, the visitors gave us tough time throughout the series and later won the Sharjah Test. But we failed to realise what it had done to us because we won that series.

“In fact, that Sharjah defeate had dented our confidence a lot and we never recovered from there and could not be at our best in New Zealand and Australia. My contribution used to be massive in all the previous Test series but it was zero Down Under and that also had a huge affect on the team,” confessed Misbah.

Answering a thorny question about not quitting at his prime after the England series win, Misbah said: “Yes, I could have retired after the series against England in England or even before that in Dubai after the whitewash against England.

“I could have said, ‘Ok good, let’s quit after this victory and let the team face the music in New Zealand and Australia. In the past too, many players missed the tours to Australia and i could have done the same. But I could never be so selfish so as to leave my team all alone to face that stiff challenge. Yes I lost there as captain, but I didn’t desert my team and am proud of it.”

https://www.dawn.com/news/1322595/li...cricket-misbah
    Last edited by MenInG; 25th March 2017 at 08:38.

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Misbah, however, admitted that his wife and son were keen for him to continue playing international cricket. “My wife and my son love the game so much and want me to play on. They have honestly been great support for me.”
    Misbah's son is pretty smart. He knows that the moment Misbah retires he won't be able to escape doing all of his homework so is trying to convince him to carry on as long as possible.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Pakistan's Test Captain Misbah-ul Haq on Saturday expressed hope that the team would perform well during upcoming West Indies tour.

“We hope to perform well in the tour and will try to win all three formats on the tour,” said the Pakistan captain.

He added that West Indies as a team should not be taken lightly as they have some good players as part of their roster.

“We need to play using our full potential and can not afford to have a relaxed attitude during the away series,” added the veteran cricketer.

Misbah further said the current team selected for the tour with inclusion of youngsters who performed well during the recently concluded Pakistan Super League.

In January, Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) had invited West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) for a tour to play two T20s as a precondition in response to another invitation by West Indies asking Pakistan to play two T20 matches in Florida, United States.

However, WICB rejected the proposed tour to Pakistan, citing the security concerns being raised by the Federation of International Cricketers' Associations (FICA).

https://www.dawn.com/news/1322760/ho...es-says-misbah

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are international bodies setup to decide the length of ban.

Everyone is entitled to his opinion however being captain he should not be such reckless.
    He should wait for his retirement.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Saleem Malik was on the brink of retirement and Ata-ur-Rehman was a nobody. Not the best examples. The wrong precedence was set in 2000 when Wasim Akram was pardoned purely down to his status. Yes he too was at the end of his career, but he is one of the biggest superstars the game - let alone Pakistan - has ever produced, and banning him for life would have sent a serious message. The same mistake was made 10 years later, when three key players were not punished by the PCB. Instead, especially in golden boy Amir's case, they continued to plead with the ICC to reduce his punishment and allow him to resume his cricket. What message did it send? If you are talented enough, you will be allowed to continue your career after fulfilling your punishment.

Adopting a zero-tolerance policy is the only way forward. I don't buy the argument that it is not a bigger deterrent than a temporary ban and that it will not discourage the future players from engaging in such activities. The magnitude of the deterrence is actually irrelevant, because the important thing is that it sends a serious message - you get involved in match-fixing, your international career is over. No exceptions. It doesn't matter how old you are or how good you are, you will not be allowed to represent Pakistan again or play cricket at any professional level. Are you telling me that this is not a bigger deterrent than getting banned for X number of years and then resuming your career?
    I am of the opinion that life bans will do nothing - Hansie Cronje was banned for life and paid for it with his life yet fixing is still plenty abound.

The only way is to file criminal charges against the fixers - possibly for treason.

Life ban along with a long and hefty jail sentence should have a bigger impact.