Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cracked my bat while knocking it in

Hey guys,

Quick question. I was knocking in a new bat that was gifted to me. I was working on the edges, and in doing so, I noticed a slight crack on the side. I think I may have hit it with the mallet dead on the side on that spot by accident. Now it's a bit caved in on that spot and I can't get the half an inch below it to line up. I did the other side before this one and that looks great.

Once I noticed the cracks, I stopped knocking, sanded the cracks and oiled my bat again as it still looked a bit dry. I'll go home today and see how it looks. I'll sand the cracks again if needed.

I'm just wondering what I should do now. Should I keep knocking the edges above and below that spot? I will tape it up at the toe once I'm done knocking anyway and will apply a scuff sheet, but I'm just wondering how I should go about the rest of the knocking process.

See pictures below.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't try and get the area above or below it to line up, that's a fool's errand. How big is the crack? If it's big, you might need glue (PVA glue is the preferred option I think, but I'm not entirely sure). If it isn't that big then I reckon you'll be OK with a bit of bat tape.

It sucks because it's a brand new bat but after you've had a few games with it you won't care, if you're doing it right then no bat stays pristine for too long.

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How are you knocking in the edges by the way? It's hard to tell from the photos but it looks a bit like you've been hammering the edges themselves from the side, which is a big no-no.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    Don't try and get the area above or below it to line up, that's a fool's errand. How big is the crack? If it's big, you might need glue (PVA glue is the preferred option I think, but I'm not entirely sure). If it isn't that big then I reckon you'll be OK with a bit of bat tape.

It sucks because it's a brand new bat but after you've had a few games with it you won't care, if you're doing it right then no bat stays pristine for too long.
    They're not terribly big, I suppose. Can you see the pictures? The first one is of the cracks.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    How are you knocking in the edges by the way? It's hard to tell from the photos but it looks a bit like you've been hammering the edges themselves from the side, which is a big no-no.
    I was hitting the edges at a 45 degree angle. Now that I think about it, I might have been hitting it too hard, and must have missed one and hit it fully side on. Gahhhhhhh.