Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morne Morkel retires from international cricket, joins Surrey [Post #56]

Standard Bank Proteas fast bowler, Morne Morkel, has announced he will retire from all forms of international cricket at the conclusion of the four-match Sunfoil Test series against Australia starting in Durban on Thursday.

The 33-year-old has played 83 Tests, 117 One-Day Internationals and 44 T20 Internationals in a successful career spanning 12 years. He has taken 294 Test wickets - including seven five-fors - and is currently the fifth highest all-time wicket-taker for South Africa in Test matches. He has an impressive tally of 529 wickets across the three formats.

Explaining his decision, Morkel said: “It was an extremely tough decision but I feel the time is right to start a new chapter. I have a young family and a foreign wife, and the current demanding international schedule has put a lot of strain us. I have to put them first and this decision will only benefit us going forward.

“I have loved every minute that I have played in the Proteas jersey, and I am incredibly grateful to my team mates, Cricket South Africa, and my family and friends for the support over the years. I still feel there is a lot of cricket left in me and I am excited for what lies ahead. For now, all of my energy and focus is on helping the Proteas win the upcoming series against Australia.”

Cricket South Africa Acting CE, Thabang Moroe, praised Morkel’s commitment and contribution towards South African cricket: “On Behalf of Cricket South Africa, I would like to thank Morne for the tremendous and highly valued contribution he has made to South African cricket over the past decade.

“He has been a regular selection for both the Standard Bank Proteas Test and ODI squads since 2008, having made his debut as far back as 2006. He has formed part of the golden era of fast bowlers that have made the South African Test team a champion outfit that is respected throughout the world.

“Being a champion fast bowler is one of the most difficult professions in the sporting world. It requires tremendous skill, dedication and perseverance and, by no means the least, the courage to bowl through the pain barrier at times. Those are characteristics Morne has shown throughout his career.

“ Lastly, on behalf of the South African cricket family, our stakeholders and fans around the world, we thank Morne for being both a fine player and an outstanding role model who has made our country proud. We wish him everything of the best in his future endeavours
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 26th February 2018 at 14:15.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks set for a Kolpak move. I won't be shocked even if Klaassen moves to Kolpak contract.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    damn. Morkel too! :-(

this is a yearly outflow....

SA will be minnows soon.

People dont realize that beyond the national team how this impacts SA is that the quality of their domestic cricket is severely diluted.

The Afrikaners and whites also forego domestic cricket bringing level of the competition down. Also obv many young Saffers are turned off cricket due to this anyway

#MPGA

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post

SA will be minnows soon.

People dont realize that beyond the national team how this impacts SA is that the quality of their domestic cricket is severely diluted.

The Afrikaners and whites also forego domestic cricket bringing level of the competition down. Also obv many young Saffers are turned off cricket due to this anyway
    Nope they don't leave cricket, They move to NZ, England and in some cases to Netherlands as well. At least half of their current U19 batch have already been signed by the counties. Even Markram was close to moving to NZ in 2015. Many black players are very average and when you have to play two of them in every much, It means that you are playing 9 players rather than 11

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch us beat these SA minnows next year.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Pakistani top order batsmen will be doing bhangra as we speak.

Shame, always liked Morkel's effort and tenacity. Best wishes to him.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AssassinatedDevil View Post
    I still feel there is a lot of cricket left in me and I am excited for what lies ahead. For now, all of my energy and focus is on helping the Proteas win the upcoming series against Australia.”
    IPL lies ahead.

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn’t arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How weird is it to be a cricketer. Retiring from your profession when most people in your age group are still about starting with their.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    IPL lies ahead.
    Nope I don't think so. Most of the Kolpakkers are not allowed to play in IPL due to the clash.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good bowler in tests and even better in LOIs. He was an integral part of SA team. Best wishes to him for the future.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Mone. Played his role as support bowler all his career. He did tremendously well.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can we bring him to PSL?

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He will play IPL for 2-3 years.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Gurgaon
    Runs
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Morkel doesn't want to injure himself by playing in useless tests against Australia and saving himself for the real test that is IPL.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont troll lol..He is playing against Australia and then retiring..!

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Occupied Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LastManstanding View Post
    Morkel doesn't want to injure himself by playing in useless tests against Australia and saving himself for the real test that is IPL.
    The level of some posters is just.. Did you even read the article. He said that for now "I am fully focused on winning the test series for proteas against Australia". Stop shaming yourself.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LastManstanding View Post
    After the Aussie test series.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Morkel in PSL next year

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No Steyn and No Morkel now.

So SA bowling attack will be Rabada, old Philander and Ngidi? Not so scary anymore.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He had a very decent international career.Now he will play league and county cricket for 3-4 years before retiring permanently

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He will be big a catch for PSL next year

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    34 is when msot fast bowlers retire so nothing wrong. Hats off to him for an amazing Test career.

SA attack still very potent. Rabada, the best bowler in the world, Ngidi, potentially even better than Rabada and Philander. Very good.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The end of a generation is nigh. I have a feeling if Amla fails this series, he will call it quits too. Anyway, the 2019 WC will possibly be the last we ever see of Amla, ABDV and Steyn.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Test cricket will soon be extinct, players don't care about playing this pathetic joke of sport

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HE should have continued his ODI career till the 2019 WC, as ODI is his strong format.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Good bowler. He had a very good career as part of one of the greatest test teams of all time. He's thoroughly earned a nice farewell and I hope he gets one.

Is he retiring from ODIs as well? One would think he still wants to get a shot at winning a WC.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    863 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He will reach 300 test wickets.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shera View Post
    Nope I don't think so. Most of the Kolpakkers are not allowed to play in IPL due to the clash.
    Morne is not going Kolpak, He will shift to Australia where his wife works in Television, Morne will play IPL, BBL and other T20 leagues and spend more time with wife and later family.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post
    34 is when msot fast bowlers retire so nothing wrong. Hats off to him for an amazing Test career.

SA attack still very potent. Rabada, the best bowler in the world, Ngidi, potentially even better than Rabada and Philander. Very good.
    Ngidi won’t even end up as half the bowler Rabada is now.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
    Test cricket will soon be extinct, players don't care about playing this pathetic joke of sport
    Thank you for your daily sermon.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    No Steyn and No Morkel now.

So SA bowling attack will be Rabada, old Philander and Ngidi? Not so scary anymore.
    I hope this is sarcasm.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post

SA will be minnows soon.

What's to stop the blacks from producing world class players? They are majority of the country and naturally more athletic. They've already got the pacers down.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellipsism View Post
    Thank you for your daily sermon.
    Lol most cricketers are saying test cricket is dying. Keep being delusional fam

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shera View Post
    Nope they don't leave cricket, They move to NZ, England and in some cases to Netherlands as well. At least half of their current U19 batch have already been signed by the counties. Even Markram was close to moving to NZ in 2015. Many black players are very average and when you have to play two of them in every much, It means that you are playing 9 players rather than 11
    It's not just 2 black africans, but they have to play 6 players of "color" of which two must be black africans. This is shameful really.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully he will feature in PSL by next season. The way it is going, looks like Steyn's retirement is coming soon as well.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    IPL lies ahead.
    If im not wrong he wasn't picked by any franchise in the auction.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddy View Post
    Morne is not going Kolpak, He will shift to Australia where his wife works in Television, Morne will play IPL, BBL and other T20 leagues and spend more time with wife and later family.
    For that he needs to be picked up by Franchise. He was unsold

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He probably had a year or two left at the top level anyway. Didn't realise he is going to be 34 this year. He has served South Africa well over the years and now deserves to be allowed to secure his financial future.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's surprising this, he's a familiar face would have liked him to stay a little longer. Especially considering WC 2019 is next year, that would have been a good time to retire. I dont think hes that confident that SA have any chance of winning. However, family comes first, that I understand and relate too. Might see him in PSL 2019 for a short stint, that would be great!

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1010 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bon voyage brother.

Gangster rap made me do it.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Something is definately alarming in South African Cricket that so many players are opting for careers in England and away from the South African team. It just shows that Cricket South Africa needs to pump money into its national team.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I think he has had a decent career. He is doing this for his family and we need to respect that. SA bowling attack is not that bad for home conditions, they have Rabada and Phillander. Not very convinced with Ngidi yet. They need to find another fast bowler for tests.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    807 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He was an excellent ODI bowler but somehow never got out of Steyn and Philander's shadow in tests. Quite the irony huh? Still, a great career.

2 possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are terrifying.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    South Africa don't miss him much especially in tests. He was always a supporting bowler, never really stepped up. Philander, Rabada have overtaken him and regularly pick up fifers whereas when was the last time Morkel picked 5 wickets in an innings? Heck even the newbie Ngidi ripped through Indian lineup once taking 6 wickets. Morkel has always been erratic in test matches. An average of 28 over 80 matches with just seven 5-wicket hauls despite playing more than half no.of matches in SA testify that. But a very good bowler in ODIs, better than Steyn. He will do well in T20 leagues around the world. Which team is he playing for in the IPL this season?

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find this very odd, couldn't have imagined this before the WC. A great and underappreciated servant of South African cricket.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same people who know nothing about South African cricket but got a lot to say.

So long as South Africa has the school system production line, nothing will ever change. The amount of talent at school level is frightening. We basically produce players for ourselves and England. Guys like Anrich Nortje, Dupavillon, Michael Cohen and young turks like Coetzee are still in the pipeline for fast bowling..People were basically talking rubbish saying guys like De Lange are mistreated because they are white yet history and time has proven you lot wrong. We will always produce world class players, always.

There's absolutely no way we'll go the Sri Lankan or West Indies route. A guy like Wiaan Mulder is on his way to become a household name in cricket. A batting allrounder that's been increasing his bowling pace recently. Morkel has been a wonderful servant but even he knows that there's always someone to replace you.
    Last edited by UN talkz; 27th February 2018 at 11:16.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great servant of CSA, a true team man and one of the biggest inspiration for me...

An ATG South African pacer, good luck and to him..
    Looking forward to seeing him in PSL next year, he will probably sign a Kolpak for next 2-3 years

[QUOTE=Mamoon;9742871]Don't see us ascending from 7th/6th in the near future. 5-0 in England and South Africa awaits us, we will be lucky to even draw one match. [/QUOTE]

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Always gave his best . Good luck to him in the future.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck to the Big Morne. No tantrums, no sulking, 100% hostile. I'll miss this player.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He may not have been as skillful with the ball as Ishant Sharma but his mental fortitude is what made him a great player. He just kept coming at ya, kept hitting the deck hard at awkward lengths. His stats don't look that great but he often broke partnerships and got priced wickets for his team.

May you have a great life ahead Big Morne.

- Bhaijaan.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A top player who has had a great career on the whole. He is retiring at the right time and for the right reasons. I imagine that he will settle in Australia with his family as numerous prominent South Africans have done in the past. Wish him the best.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was very surprised when I heard this. Was not expecting it at all. South Africa will miss him

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    What's to stop the blacks from producing world class players? They are majority of the country and naturally more athletic. They've already got the pacers down.
    If SA utilizes the talent of its black population to the max, they will likely be even better than the great WI teams of the last century. However, that may not happen if SA becomes a failed country. Crime is off the charts and the political system is quite corrupt.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    The cricket board is run by rich and elite white folks, the quota system exists to prove they're not racist. However much of the development behind the cricketers on grassroot level goes to white kids. Without quota there wouldn't be more than 2 black players in SAF team.

I completely hate quota system but SAF has extreme racial inequality. As long as the country has a sizable white population, racial issues will exist. Colonialism is a curse that takes long time to heal

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1682 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    SOUTH African paceman Morne Morkel could be stranded on 297 Test wickets after he was dropped in stunning circumstances for the second Test against Australia in Port Elizabeth.

South African captain Faf du Plessis decided to instead turn to his wildcard Lungi Ngidi for the must-win showdown meaning Morkel now faces a nervous wait to find out whether his Test career has been brought to a premature end.

Australia won the toss and chose to bat.

It’s not quite over for Morkel just yet, and he is still a chance to at least get a farewell in the fourth Test in Johannesburg.

Morkel – married to Australian television presenter Roz Kelly – announced his retirement before the Australian series, as he plans to transition into the Twenty20 circuit and make his Big Bash League debut next summer.

However, Morkel is now in the hands of selectors after the Proteas reacted to his underwhelming performance in Durban.

Du Plessis has hinted that Morkel needed a rest after a heavy workload against India last month.

However, monster quick Ngidi made an explosive start to his Test career against India and if he bowls well Morkel may find it difficult to find a way back.

That combined with the fact Dale Steyn could be a contender for the Cape Town Test as he vies to return from injury.

Morkel is within arm’s reach of capping off his stellar Test career by joining the 300-wicket club, but needs three more scalps to get across the line.

However, it’s understood Morkel will come back into serious contention, if not for Cape Town then almost certainly for the last Test at the Wanderers where the ball is expected to sing.

South Africa will likely play four quicks for that Test.

Morkel is set to play in the Big Bash this summer with the Sydney Thunder, Melbourne Stars and Brisbane Heat all interested.

The 33-year-old is also interested in coaching and has done his certificates.

With plans to settle in Australia he could conceivably end up in the CA system.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...a2c017ff38905b

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    South Africa fast bowler Morne Morkel to join Surrey on Kolpak contract this summer

Morne Morkel, the South Africa Test bowler, is poised to join Surrey on a Kolpak contract this summer.

Morkel, who recently took his 300th Test wicket, will be a *significant boost to Surrey’s hopes of winning their first County *Championship title since 2002.

He is ranked the world’s sixth-best Test bowler and recorded match figures of nine for 110 in South Africa’s victory over Australia in the third Test, which ended last week. He is playing in the final Test of the series, which he has announced will be his last.

Morkel, 33, has suffered injury concerns, but his form remains *outstanding. Since the start of 2017, he has taken 65 Test wickets at 21.90 apiece, a haul that included 19 wickets in England last summer.

He will balance his county career with Surrey alongside playing in T20 leagues around the world.

Morkel is the latest South African international to join a county. A combination of the weak rand, transformation targets and fears that Brexit will prevent players from joining under the Kolpak ruling in the future have contributed to the exodus, which has prompted much anger in South Africa.

The circumstances of Morkel’s departure are different. He has cited family reasons as being *behind his retirement, and he has enjoyed a fine 11-year international career. He has also been open about his plans, in contrast to the *clandestine departures of some other players.

Yet Morkel will still be a *significant loss. He performed well in the Champions Trophy last year, and figured in South Africa plans for next year’s World Cup in England. The player once considered his long-term international replacement, Kyle Abbott, joined Hampshire on a Kolpak contract last year.

The addition of Morkel’s pace and bounce strengthens Surrey’s squad hugely and will help deal with the likelihood of the Curran brothers, Tom and Sam, being available for fewer games.

It is understood that Kolkata Knight Riders are in advanced *discussions with Tom about this season’s Indian Premier League, as a replacement for the injured Mitchell Starc. If he goes to the IPL, he would miss Surrey’s first four Championship games, and the start of their Royal London Cup *campaign. He has been identified by Kolkata for his prowess bowling at the end of the innings in T20.

Morkel is poised to end his *international career with the *satisfaction of helping South Africa to their first Test series victory at home to Australia since 1970.

After the suspensions of three players, including captain Steve Smith, for ball-tampering, an *under-strength Australia side have struggled in Johannesburg. After the end of day three, South Africa lead by 401 runs with seven second-innings wickets in hand, and are on course to win the four-match series 3-1.

Tim Paine, Australia’s acting Test captain – who is expected to get the job permanently – scored 62 in his first innings in the role, batting with a fractured thumb. Despite Paine’s resistance, Australia still conceded a first innings lead of 267.

South Africa may yet have to complete the job without Morkel, who suffered a side strain and had to stop bowling midway through his 13th over. It is unclear whether Morkel will be able to bowl in the remainder of the game, which may prove to be a concern for Surrey.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/...lpak-contract/

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magician View Post
    The same people who know nothing about South African cricket but got a lot to say.

So long as South Africa has the school system production line, nothing will ever change. The amount of talent at school level is frightening. We basically produce players for ourselves and England. Guys like Anrich Nortje, Dupavillon, Michael Cohen and young turks like Coetzee are still in the pipeline for fast bowling..People were basically talking rubbish saying guys like De Lange are mistreated because they are white yet history and time has proven you lot wrong. We will always produce world class players, always.

There's absolutely no way we'll go the Sri Lankan or West Indies route. A guy like Wiaan Mulder is on his way to become a household name in cricket. A batting allrounder that's been increasing his bowling pace recently. Morkel has been a wonderful servant but even he knows that there's always someone to replace you.
    Empty vessels are always the loudest.
    One thing that is not taken into account is SA's ever growing black middle class sending their kids to these elite schools.
    But let the vessels do what they do best.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1682 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    SURREY COUNTY CRICKET CLUB ARE DELIGHTED TO ANNOUNCE THE SIGNING OF FAST BOWLER MORNE MORKEL ON A TWO-YEAR CONTRACT.
    The South African will be available for Surrey in all forms of the game as a Kolpak registered player until the end of the 2019 English season.

The 33-year-old enjoyed a glittering international career before retiring after his country’s recent Test series victory over Australia, playing 86 Test matches, 117 One-Day Internationals and 44 T20 Internationals.

Morkel took 309 wickets in the Test arena, helped South Africa to top the Test Championship for a total of 39 months between August 2012 and January 2016 and finished his career ranked seventh in the latest ICC bowling rankings.

Speaking after signing for the club, he said: “It is a real honour that Surrey have asked me to join their club after my retirement from international cricket.

“I’ve got fond memories of playing at The Kia Oval and am looking forward to settling into London with my family for the summer, making new friendships with teammates and hopefully great memories on and off the field.”

Director of Cricket Alec Stewart added: “Following his retirement from international cricket I am very pleased that Morne has signed for Surrey for at least the next two years.

“He has had an outstanding career with South Africa and is a player that will add enormous strength and experience to our squad. His appetite to continue playing and most importantly performing was very evident from our very first conversation.

“He sets exceedingly high standards for himself and for our young bowlers to have the opportunity to train and play alongside Morne can only help to develop their own games. We look forward to welcoming Morne and his family to the Kia Oval for the start of the season.”

Surrey begin their Specsavers County Championship campaign in less than two weeks and you can guarantee your place at every match this summer here.

https://www.kiaoval.com/main-news/mo...two-year-deal/

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    668 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    England should do whatever it takes to have him play for them at the World Cup next year. Would massively improve their chances !!

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    England should do whatever it takes to have him play for them at the World Cup next year. Would massively improve their chances !!
    he would not betray SA like that plus there is a 4 year waiting period between playing for different test nations

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!