Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

"Tremendous excitement at Essex to have Amir on board as he is a world-class bowler" : Ravi Bopara

A veteran of 171 international games where he has scored 3981 runs, Ravi Bopara has been a popular figure in Twenty20 Leagues around the world. He has also been a key member of the Karachi Kings squad during both editions of the Pakistan Super League (PSL) and continues to harbour hopes of return to England colours in the future.

In an interview with PakPassion.net, Ravi Bopara spoke about his experience of playing in the PSL, his plans to visit Pakistan to help with charity work, Mohammad Amir's impending appearance for the Essex County Cricket Club in the summer of 2017 and looked back on his career with England.

PakPassion.net : How was the experience this time around with Karachi Kings in the Pakistan Super League?

Ravi Bopara : The experience of playing with Karachi was really good just as it was in the previous edition of the Pakistan Super League. It was exciting to be part of the PSL in general and playing in a league like this is simply fantastic. The organisation and the manner in which each edition of the tournament has been run has been brilliant so far. Of course, the credit for this must go to all those who were involved in running the show including the PCB and the franchise owners as well who brought this top-level cricket to Dubai and Pakistan.

PakPassion.net : Do you feel that the league has the potential to grow in the coming years?

Ravi Bopara : It definitely has massive potential for future growth but I would say that it is already quite big in its current form despite at the moment limited to being played mainly in UAE. One can only imagine the massive impact and growth it would have if it was played largely in Pakistan. Its growing at a phenomenal rate with more and more people around the world getting interested in it. I know this from personal experience in England where compared to last year, I am being asked a lot of questions about the tournament and there is generally more discussion regarding the PSL after this year's tournament.

PakPassion.net : If Karachi Kings had made it to the final in Lahore, would you have been happy to travel to Pakistan to play in the final?

Ravi Bopara : I would have had no qualms about travelling to Pakistan if we had made it to the final. Unfortunately we didn't reach the final, but I would have no problems travelling to Lahore to play in the final.

PakPassion.net : You mentioned at a recent charity event that you were planning to go to Pakistan to do some coaching. Can you elaborate on that?

Ravi Bopara : Yes, I intend to travel to Karachi and do some charity work in the near future. The idea is to help the kids there through playing cricket and raising funds and basically to help the community and the children there in any way I can. Of course, playing a PSL final or matches in future there one day would be a lovely experience as well.

PakPassion.net : What sort of cricket-related charity work will you be doing in Pakistan?

Ravi Bopara : It’s not related to any Karachi Kings contract as such but the PSL franchise is looking to do some good work in the community in Karachi and around Pakistan as well. The activities there involve coaching kids and I have spoken to the owner of Karachi Kings about that. In fact, I approached him before being asked as I know that he has been doing some work behind the scenes involving community projects especially with children. It’s still work in progress and details of this initiative will hopefully be announced soon.

PakPassion.net : Essex County Cricket Club and yourself must be excited with the signing of Mohammad Amir for this season?

Ravi Bopara : Absolutely. There is tremendous excitement to have Amir on board as he is a world-class bowler. It will be great to see him bowl with the red ball and the white ball in English conditions and I am sure, he will make life hell for a lot of batsmen. We are all really looking forward to having someone like him at Essex as he is a superstar and a wonderful bowler. It’s not only exciting for the Essex players but it will be great for the fans as well who will show up hopefully in large numbers to see Amir in action.

PakPassion.net : With Mohammad Amir available for the second half of the season in all formats, expectations must be high at Essex for some silverware?

Ravi Bopara : He is a tremendous fast-bowler and someone who can blow batsmen away at the top of the order and then clean up the tail later in the innings. He is able to get you those four or five wickets before you even know it; pretty much in the blink of an eye, especially with the red ball which he is notorious for swinging around. So, there is a lot to be excited about Amir’s arrival at Essex this summer and we must fancy our chances for some honours.

PakPassion.net : How do you feel about ECB’s proposal for an eight city Twenty20 tournament?

Ravi Bopara : I feel that it’s an exciting development for players in England. This was a much-needed initiative as most countries around the world have similar high profile Twenty20 leagues and we were missing out a little bit on this sort of competition in England. It’s the right time to have this type of league in place but instead of starting in 2020 which is a little far-off, it would have been nicer to have it begin next year.

PakPassion.net : With the BBL, PSL and IPL established names in the cricketing calendar, can the English version be a huge success also?

Ravi Bopara : It is absolutely crucial for English cricket to have this sort of a tournament which will attract the best players from around the world. This will surely make a massive difference to the game in England as I feel that these days youngsters are not quite as engaged in cricket as they used to be previously. This will be an immense help to get the youngsters back into the game in England. With plans to televise all the games instead of a select few, this tournament promises to be a great boost for English cricket. This will allow kids and their parents to watch games together at home not only on subscription channels but on free-to-air television which is a brilliant idea.

PakPassion.net : Surely you must still have that hunger and desire to play for England again?

Ravi Bopara : I would love to get back into an England shirt again. That would be an absolutely brilliant outcome but I need to get some good performances together this summer to prove myself and make the selectors want me in the England team. Good performances are the key to this and the selectors won’t look at me without this. I need to put those outstanding performances on the board and most importantly, you need to do them in England. That is what the selectors look at as I believe they do not take your performances in tournaments such as the Pakistan Super League or elsewhere into account. For the selectors, performances in England are the only ones that count when making their decision, so I need to string together some excellent performances this summer before they even look at me.

PakPassion.net : I suppose your age of thirty-one is not that much of a problem given we have the likes of Misbah-ul-Haq and Younis Khan still playing international cricket?

Ravi Bopara : I don’t think my age is an issue. Whilst I have been in the game for a long time and people may think that I am old, the fact is that I am as fit as ever and probably the fittest I have ever been. I do take great pride in keeping myself in good shape so age is not an issue in terms of my career progress.

PakPassion.net : So you feel that consistency in performances is the key to your future prospects with England?

Ravi Bopara : No doubt that consistent performances throughout the year is what I need to do and that would be the ideal way forward for me. I need to make sure I do the basics right and put in the regular performances so that I get noticed.

PakPassion.net : How would you describe your England career?

Ravi Bopara : There were times during my England career when things were great and I really enjoyed everything that happened around me. But then there were times which weren’t that great primarily due to the fact that I was in and out of the team. That played on my mind as well as I was always wondering what would happen next and that kind of uncertainty was going through my mind as well. But then, that is just natural as you don’t know whether you will be in or out of the team in the next match and that plays on your mind.

PakPassion.net : It must be heartening for Asian cricketers from your generation to see more young Asian cricketers coming through the ranks in England?

Ravi Bopara : It's absolutely brilliant to see Asian cricketers coming into the Counties and also some taking a place in the England team. It's very heartening to see this happen and I am hopeful that there will be many more following suit in the future as well.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 15th April 2017 at 17:07.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some brilliant words for Amir, he sure is World Class, Hopefully this stint will help Essex and with them Amir who should become a even better bowler by learning more through playing this season's county.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    534 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Amir isn't looking world-class these days but hopefully the Essex stint will help him to return to somewhere near his best, he hasn't really hit his stride besides a few spells since his return.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    North side of Londonnn
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Honestly feel Amir needs a full season with Essex and can hopefully become the same bowler he once was. Needs to up his standards. He's that good of a bowler.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great gesture from Bopara regarding willingness to do some charity work in Pakistan, great guy. Wish him all the luck and hope he will get back in England shirt soon.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The concern is that Amir is not 100% fit at the moment, of that there isabsolutely no doubt.

Playing County Cricket could make his injuries even worse. He should only play County Cricket if he is 100% fit.

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Rawalpindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More Pakistani cricketers need to play county. Shafiq and Azhar would benefit greatly from a season.

Now that you feel it, you don't

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think England have moved on from Ravi Bopara.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Amir is world class then so am I! Can swing it both ways with a vicious yorker and bouncer as well! To be world class you have to perform at an incredible level for many years where as even before the ban Amir only did so for a short period. Our best years were when most of our test players were playing for some English county. Hopefully, a period with Essex will help Amir in regaining some form as at the moment he is only in the team due to past performances. I am beginning to lose patience with him.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    If Amir is world class then so am I! Can swing it both ways with a vicious yorker and bouncer as well! To be world class you have to perform at an incredible level for many years where as even before the ban Amir only did so for a short period. Our best years were when most of our test players were playing for some English county. Hopefully, a period with Essex will help Amir in regaining some form as at the moment he is only in the team due to past performances. I am beginning to lose patience with him.
    I am afraid that you are confusing the meaning of "World-Class" with "Legendary."

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    I am afraid that you are confusing the meaning of "World-Class" with "Legendary."
    No my friend. The term "world class" is over used. It means a bowler with world class ability that Amir is not.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Amir is far from a world-class bowler at the moment.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pretty interesting to hear what players on the field think of Amir despite his lack of wickets. The Aussies said the same thing after the series.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Amir will be a huge draw for Essex games

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When is Amir starting his stint with the Essex and is he supposed to 4 day games too for them?

Will be great if he is signed for first class games too .

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brilliance View Post
    When is Amir starting his stint with the Essex and is he supposed to 4 day games too for them?

Will be great if he is signed for first class games too .
    Post CT I believe and should play in all formats

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    There was a time when everyone was speculating a negative audience reaction when left-arm pacer Mohammad Amir travelled to England with Pakistan team after making a comeback for his country, but all-rounder Ravi Bopara says the 25-year-old’s next visit, an impending appearance for the Essex County Cricket Club in the summer of 2017, is eagerly anticipated.

The 31-year-old, who plays for Karachi Kings in the Pakistan Super League (PSL) alongside Amir, thinks the ‘world-class’ bowler will make life difficult for a lot of batsmen in English conditions.

“There is tremendous excitement to have Amir on board as he is a world-class bowler,” Bopara told PakPassion.net “It will be great to see him bowl with the red ball and the white ball in English conditions and I am sure, he will make life difficult for a lot of batsmen. We are all really looking forward to having someone like him at Essex as he is a superstar and a wonderful bowler. It’s not only exciting for the Essex players but it will be great for the fans as well who will show up hopefully in large numbers to see Amir in action.”

Amir’s pre-spot-fixing claim to fame included his venomous spells against the English Test side which included the likes of Andrew Strauss, Jonathan Trott, Kevin Pietersen and Paul Collingwood, and Bopara thinks he can be blow people away with his swing which will be helpful for Essex in their attempt to bag silverware.

“He is a tremendous fast-bowler and someone who can blow batsmen away at the top of the order and then clean up the tail later in the innings,” explained Bopara. “He is able to get you those four or five wickets before you even know it, pretty much in the blink of an eye, especially with the red ball which he is notorious for swinging around. So, there is a lot to be excited about Amir’s arrival at Essex this summer and we must fancy our chances for some honours.”

Pakistan visit

After the announcement that the final of the second edition of PSL will take place in Lahore, everyone wanted to know which international players would be travelling to the country and Bopara was one of the few who agreed to play in Pakistan.

“I would have had no qualms about travelling to Pakistan if we had made it to the final,” he said. “Unfortunately we didn’t reach the final, but I would have had no problems travelling to Lahore to play in the final.”

However, the all-rounder said that he will be visiting Pakistan soon for charity work. “I intend to travel to Karachi for charity work in the near future,” he said. “The idea is to help the kids there through playing cricket; to raise funds and basically to help the community and the children there in any way I can. Of course, playing a PSL final or matches in future in Pakistan would be a lovely experience as well.”

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1385198...r-says-bopara/
    Last edited by MenInG; 16th April 2017 at 12:32.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KhalidRafi View Post
    More Pakistani cricketers need to play county. Shafiq and Azhar would benefit greatly from a season.
    great idea! Especially considering both these guys miss ODI cricket, their agents should be geting in touch with county teams.

Also, how many matches is Amir going to be playing herE?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KhalidRafi View Post
    Easier said than done.

Most Counties steering clear of Pakistani players due to the PCB's habit of arranging last-minute tours.

Also, the players the Counties do sign get done for fixing.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Amir's performance from yesterday would be good news for Essex fans

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    534 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Decent start by Amir during his Essex stint.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His Kings teammate

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    534 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yorkshire are 25 for 5 against Essex! Jamie Porter has three wickets, Mohammad Amir two.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Venue
    MCG - Mera Chota Ghar, SE England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Amir spell now reads 4-9 in his 7th over

Frank Skinner: Pakistan looked better than this when they were trying to lose.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    West Ridings
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tearing apart Yorks. Might go Scarborough too see him!

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 Wickets for Amir!!!
    Brilliant bowling from him as he finishes with figures of 5 for 18 from 11.2 overs.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    West Ridings
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phenomenal figures

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    619 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    But but but but He's just an average bowler guys :rohit and needs to learn from Kumar and co on how to swing the ball and take wickets....

Amir showing haters why he's the worlds best bowler at the moment !!!

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsalan Pro View Post
    5 Wickets for Amir!!!
    Brilliant bowling from him as he finishes with figures of 5 for 18 from 11.2 overs.
    At Scarborough as well - usually a flat pitch there.

Superb effort from Amir.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Austin, TX
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No my friend. The term "world class" is over used. It means a bowler with world class ability that Amir is not.
    Amir is world class! You need to watch some cricket

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Idrees1990 View Post
    Amir is world class! You need to watch some cricket
    No he is not! Akram, Younis, Marshall, Holding, Lillee, Thompson, McGrath, Warne and Murli are some world class bowlers. Amir is not in that league at all, yet. Now don't tell me the difference between "world class" and "all time greats" as Amir is neither.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    wellington
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No he is not! Akram, Younis, Marshall, Holding, Lillee, Thompson, McGrath, Warne and Murli are some world class bowlers. Amir is not in that league at all, yet. Now don't tell me the difference between "world class" and "all time greats" as Amir is neither.
    you will eat some humble pies just wait for few years. Amir is still better i ability then some of you mentioned in your post.

only fighters rise up from the dust..

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by todfod 11 View Post
    you will eat some humble pies just wait for few years. Amir is still better i ability then some of you mentioned in your post.
    You know nothing about Cricket if you think Amir is even close to the bowlers I mentioned. He is a good bowler, that's all.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amir collided with Ryan Sidebottom, while he was running during his batting and the game was paused for few minutes, but it seems it was nothing serious as he was on his feet again and made 22 in a 50 partnership stand with Ryan Ten Doeschate after it.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    wellington
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You know nothing about Cricket if you think Amir is even close to the bowlers I mentioned. He is a good bowler, that's all.
    hahaha i feel the same for you have no Idea about anything related to cricket.. if you call Amir over rated.. And the players you have mentioned above i dont believe yoi have seen them live either.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1099 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Damn. He's just rolling Yorkshire over for fun

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Amir looks decent- anyone know anything about him? :p

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Venue
    MCG - Mera Chota Ghar, SE England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Essex running away with it in Div 1 at the moment.

Are they likely to have Cook return at at the back end of the season?

Frank Skinner: Pakistan looked better than this when they were trying to lose.

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about the putch or batting quality but this is the best he has looked since return.His roubd tge wicket angle looks really threatening

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant bowler

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5-54 in the second innings, completing his second five wicket haul of the match and ending with figures of 10-72 for the match. He also played a handy 22 runs inning with the bat.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant performance from a brilliant player!!!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    534 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahaha i feel the same for you have no Idea about anything related to cricket.. if you call Amir over rated.. And the players you have mentioned above i dont believe yoi have seen them live either.
    I am sure you think Hasan Ali is world class is well. Take a few wickets and fans like you start thinking the player is world class.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by On_the_up View Post
    Essex running away with it in Div 1 at the moment.

Are they likely to have Cook return at at the back end of the season?
    Probably for the last few games unless he wants a rest.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure you think Hasan Ali is world class is well. Take a few wickets and fans like you start thinking the player is world class.
    You have no idea about cricket if Amir and Hasan Ali are not world class bowlers. If your definition of world class synonymous with all time great then that's your absurd cricketing knowledge right there. At least you can admit Amir is one of the best bowlers in world cricket and Hasan is one of the best bowlers in ODIs - you don't become man of the tournament of a ICC 50 over tournament for nothing and let me repeat no Pakistani bowler has ever achieved this feat in an ICC limited overs tournament. Stop living in denial and give these 2 boys the credit they deserve.

If they're not cup of tea then fine keep quiet but don't bring whatever agenda you have here...

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    wellington
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    then you have no idea about me... I m some one who stilll in awe of those great 90s days.. but players like Virat Root Amir should get their due respect where they deserve it.
    And tgere people who are mocking ur posts left right and centre show how less cricketing knowledge you possess
    Last edited by todfod 11; 7th August 2017 at 23:16.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backfootpunch View Post
    You have no idea about cricket if Amir and Hasan Ali are not world class bowlers. If your definition of world class synonymous with all time great then that's your absurd cricketing knowledge right there. At least you can admit Amir is one of the best bowlers in world cricket and Hasan is one of the best bowlers in ODIs - you don't become man of the tournament of a ICC 50 over tournament for nothing and let me repeat no Pakistani bowler has ever achieved this feat in an ICC limited overs tournament. Stop living in denial and give these 2 boys the credit they deserve.

If they're not cup of tea then fine keep quiet but don't bring whatever agenda you have here...
    Couldnt have said it any better. Give ur egos a wobble and give Amir his dues

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    then you have no idea about me... I m some one who stilll in awe of those great 90s days.. but players like Virat Root Amir should get their due respect where they deserve it.
    And tgere people who are mocking ur posts left right and centre show how less cricketing knowledge you possess
    Who is mocking my posts on Cricket? Show me I am not seeing anyone do that at all. Rather you are talking crap telling us how brilliant Amir is when he is average at best. I have always respected Virat the Cricketer and defended his attitude as well. You seem totally lost in your drivel.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amir is a very good bowler but not world class. Respect the opinion of others instead of forcing your views on them. My definition of WC is a Malcolm Marshall or Wasim Akram at his peak. I have admitted that your precious Amir is one of the best bowlers currently playing the game. No Hassan Ali is not world class either, no way! My agenda is to tell people like you what a world class bowler is.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Amir is a very good bowler but not world class. Respect the opinion of others instead of forcing your views on them. My definition of WC is a Malcolm Marshall or Wasim Akram at his peak. I have admitted that your precious Amir is one of the best bowlers currently playing the game. No Hassan Ali is not world class either, no way! My agenda is to tell people like you what a world class bowler is.
    World class is defined as "among the world's best."

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    World class is defined as "among the world's best."
    ....and consistency. He is lacking in that at international level.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    wellington
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ....and consistency. He is lacking in that at international level.
    you tryna say as if wasim waqar and marshall always took 5 wicket hauls every time they played.. Obviously world cricket does not need your opinion of world class. All top bowlers and batsmen praise Amir what he has achieved and every one can sense what he will achieve in future except for you. World cricket has changed and it has been changing ever since it started. At the moment Amir is the best bowler along Mitchell Starc and thats the truth. You can keep comparing him with fazal mehmood and andy roberts it will make no sense.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1099 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    you tryna say as if wasim waqar and marshall always took 5 wicket hauls every time they played.. Obviously world cricket does not need your opinion of world class. All top bowlers and batsmen praise Amir what he has achieved and every one can sense what he will achieve in future except for you. World cricket has changed and it has been changing ever since it started. At the moment Amir is the best bowler along Mitchell Starc and thats the truth. You can keep comparing him with fazal mehmood and andy roberts it will make no sense.
    Starc is far ahead of Amir right now

Lets not get ahead of ourselves

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post

Only in ODIs.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    wellington
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yes he is ahead at the moment... But Amir is catching up soon.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amir is not a Wasim Akram or a Malcolm Marshall and never will be. Let's be clear on this. And - yes - he has to improve his test average and consistency.

However, to suggest he is not world class is ludicrous. The title of world class is based on comparing a person to his CURRENT peers. You don't compare them to players from a different era!

So how many bowlers are better then Amir in world cricket? You may say Starc even though he is poor in test cricket and has not bowled well in England. How many more? Even if you come up with 3 more, that would put Amir in the top 5 in the world. Now -please tell me - is it wrong to call one of the top 5 bowlers in the world "world class" ??

When he is at his best - for example - the CT final - there is NO-ONE better in world cricket currently. FACT.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At there best the likes of Marshall were far better then Amir so get real! If my opinion is not valid then nether is yours, you are not a Cricket writer for Wisden or something like that so don't get above yourself by getting personal with me. Oh, so now you can see the future as well of how great Amir will be!!!? Well can your crystal ball tell me if Pak will win the next world cup?? Amir is not world class, period. You intolerant Amir fans get carried away to easily just because he took a few wickets against India in the final. You probably have never seen the true greats of the game playing. Your Amir is a bacha compared to them.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not just about Amir, it's actually about correcting your poor cricketing insight. You don't even know the meaning of world class. If Marshall and Akram are world class then tell me what is ATG?

Can't tell me world class = ATG

So if Hasan Ali is not world class then why did he get man of the tournament - in the CT? Is it because you are the expert and all the ex cricketers + commentators who picked Hasan Ali as MOTM are deluded along with the rest of the posters here trying to correct you?

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Only in ODIs.
    In tests, Amir hasn't done much since his return.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In terms of overall achievement in international cricket thus far in their careers I'll say yes Starc has achieved more since he won Australia the WC.

However on current form Amir is the better bowler in all formats and even when Starc was at his peak that good spell of his against India in the semi final in Sydney was still no match for Amir's imperious one in the final.

Amir is only getting better whereas Starc seems to be struggling for injuries, so I actually think Amir can overtake him and maintain his supremacy over him for a good few years at least. Even before the CT Ian Bell was asked who's the best bowler in world cricket and he said Amir.

Achievement wise in LOIs Amir has won Pakistan CT where he had a solid tournament with an epic bowling display in the final and he was equally as important in Pakistan's 2009 T20 win again particularly in the final. This is all evident to why he is now a renowned big match player. The achievement gap between the 2 is still small in LOIs, Amir just needs a world cup to overtake him.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1099 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    In terms of overall achievement in international cricket thus far in their careers I'll say yes Starc has achieved more since he won Australia the WC.

However on current form Amir is the better bowler in all formats and even when Starc was at his peak that good spell of his against India in the semi final in Sydney was still no match for Amir's imperious one in the final.

Amir is only getting better whereas Starc seems to be struggling for injuries, so I actually think Amir can overtake him and maintain his supremacy over him for a good few years at least. Even before the CT Ian Bell was asked who's the best bowler in world cricket and he said Amir.

Achievement wise in LOIs Amir has won Pakistan CT where he had a solid tournament with an epic bowling display in the final and he was equally as important in Pakistan's 2009 T20 win again particularly in the final. This is all evident to why he is now a renowned big match player. The achievement gap between the 2 is still small in LOIs, Amir just needs a world cup to overtake him.
    Starc had perhaps the best WC campaign ever by a bowler.

And currently Amir's test record is mediocre overall.

You are being biased here.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    982 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Amir is the best pacer in world cricket today, by a country mile. Accept it.

Come at me haters.

Inzi is the best selector in the world

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not just about Amir, it's actually about correcting your poor cricketing insight. You don't even know the meaning of world class. If Marshall and Akram are world class then tell me what is ATG?

Can't tell me world class = ATG

So if Hasan Ali is not world class then why did he get man of the tournament - in the CT? Is it because you are the expert and all the ex cricketers + commentators who picked Hasan Ali as MOTM are deluded along with the rest of the posters here trying to correct you?
    Your knowledge is fa worse then mines. Neither Amir nor Hassan are world class. They are nothing in front of the real greats at all. How old are you? Most likely you have never seen the all time greats. I am not old enough to have seen them live but there are many video's of them on youtube. No need to get personal by the way.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    534 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Your knowledge is fa worse then mines. Neither Amir nor Hassan are world class. They are nothing in front of the real greats at all. How old are you? Most likely you have never seen the all time greats. I am not old enough to have seen them live but there are many video's of them on youtube. No need to get personal by the way.
    The whole crux of this 'argument' appears to be people's differing definition of 'world class', that's pretty much it.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good learning curve from Amir, this stint is helping him alot, more than the 2016 tour vs England. He is finally getting his wicket taking ability back in Test Match cricket.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starc had perhaps the best WC campaign ever by a bowler.

And currently Amir's test record is mediocre overall.

You are being biased here.
    See the post below yours I think there's alot of people outside Pakistan who feel Amir is best bowler right now in current form.

In tests the difference between the 2 is significant. In LOIs however I don't, in fact I think if Amir can play a big role with the ball to help Pakistan lift the WC he'll surpass Wasim Akram and Starc in LOIs because he's done it in each ICC tournament.

Wasim Akram didn't win anything for Pakistan after 92 WC so just bare that in mind.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enough said - not old enough to hold a mature discussion is what you should have said.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Amir and Hassan are world class players but not greats yet. Definitely part of top 20 pacers in the world right now.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Googly View Post
    Amir has to improve his test average and consistency.

However, to suggest he is not world class is ludicrous. The title of world class is based on comparing a person to his CURRENT peers. You don't compare them to players from a different era!

So how many bowlers are better then Amir in world cricket? You may say Starc even though he is poor in test cricket and has not bowled well in England. How many more? Even if you come up with 3 more, that would put Amir in the top 5 in the world. Now -please tell me - is it wrong to call one of the top 5 bowlers in the world "world class" ??

When he is at his best - for example - the CT final - there is NO-ONE better in world cricket currently. FACT.
    Seconded.

Can't wait to see him in the England test series next summer. Amir looks like he is getting back to his best, so I expect him to (significantly) improve his test record over the next year or so.

He will also be crucial for WC19 plans.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enough said - not old enough to hold a mature discussion is what you should have said.
    I said I am not old enough to have seen the likes of Malcolm Marshall live. Read again, if you know how to.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Track_Bully View Post
    Amir and Hassan are world class players but not greats yet. Definitely part of top 20 pacers in the world right now.
    Not world class. Just very good bowlers.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amir collided with Ryan Sidebottom, while he was running during his batting and the game was paused for few minutes, but it seems it was nothing serious as he was on his feet again and made 22 in a 50 partnership stand with Ryan Ten Doeschate after it.
    That would explain the plaster on his nose:

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    wellington
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    At there best the likes of Marshall were far better then Amir so get real! If my opinion is not valid then nether is yours, you are not a Cricket writer for Wisden or something like that so don't get above yourself by getting personal with me. Oh, so now you can see the future as well of how great Amir will be!!!? Well can your crystal ball tell me if Pak will win the next world cup?? Amir is not world class, period. You intolerant Amir fans get carried away to easily just because he took a few wickets against India in the final. You probably have never seen the true greats of the game playing. Your Amir is a bacha compared to them.
    look at how many fronts you r trying to defend yourself abviously you on the wrong side thats why you are just some how trying to defend your point and but just do not want to accept that Amir at the moment is world class and will end up a great for pakistan if he plays at least 8 years from now on without any major injury. Amir is a match winner and better then some of the bowlers of past just on skills. Anyways I dont wanna go personal my suggestion would lets just wait for few years this thread aint goi g anywhere

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    look at how many fronts you r trying to defend yourself abviously you on the wrong side thats why you are just some how trying to defend your point and but just do not want to accept that Amir at the moment is world class and will end up a great for pakistan if he plays at least 8 years from now on without any major injury. Amir is a match winner and better then some of the bowlers of past just on skills. Anyways I dont wanna go personal my suggestion would lets just wait for few years this thread aint goi g anywhere
    He is not world class, simple. Tell me in eight years time if he has 300 or more wickets. What do you mean "trying to defend yourself"? As I say you have not seen the greats play, Amir can not even tie the boot laces of Marshall, Akram or Jeff Thompson. Another thing is that batsmen of today are not as good as they were decades back.
    Last edited by PakLFC; 9th August 2017 at 01:34.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    wellington
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is not world class, simple. Tell me in eight years time if he has 300 or more wickets. What do you mean "trying to defend yourself"? As I say you have not seen the greats play, Amir can not even tie the boot laces of Marshall, Akram or Jeff Thompson. Another thing is that batsmen of today are not as good as they were decades back.
    lets wait and watch...dont try and change your name on this forum after few years.
    Till then we as his fan will celebrate all his achievement every single wicket he takes every single time he score runs. we will celebrate him as a champion and see him winning matches for pakistan every now and then.. you can cry under the blanket and keep watching youtube videos of thompson lillie and marshall

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lets wait and watch...dont try and change your name on this forum after few years.
    Till then we as his fan will celebrate all his achievement every single wicket he takes every single time he score runs. we will celebrate him as a champion and see him winning matches for pakistan every now and then.. you can cry under the blanket and keep watching youtube videos of thompson lillie and marshall
    I will cheer every time he takes a wicket as well after all he does play for Pakistan. Why would I want to cry? What you talking about when true greats live forever. You can also celebrate Amir as a former match fixer as well, don't forget that. He is lucky the PCB gave him preferential treatment and he is even wearing the Pak shirt now. Just don't compared Amir to all time greats on non Pakistanki Cricket sites