User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1253 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

Australia planning Bangladesh tour to play in 2 Tests in August & September 2017

Australia are expected to tour Bangladesh later this year for their first Test match there in more than a decade, a Bangladesh Cricket Board official said on Tuesday (April 18).

This comes after James Sutherland, the Cricket Australia CEO, mentioned the possibility of a tour happening later on in January this year.

The No.2 Test side are expected to play two Tests in August and September in Dhaka, according to Nizammudin Chowdhury, the BCB chief executive.

“We are now working on the schedule and other details with CA,” he said.

Australia have not played a Test in Bangladesh since Ricky Ponting’s team toured there in 2006.

Bangladesh were only granted Test status in 2000.

Outside multi-team international competitions, the two sides have only played two one-day series in the past 10 years, with Australia maintaining a clean victory slate.

Australia were scheduled to play two Tests in Dhaka and Chittagong in October 2015 but the tour was cancelled amid security fears after a spate of terror attacks targeting foreigners in the country.

Australia also refused to send their junior team to last year’s Under-19 World Cup in Dhaka due to security concerns.

Sean Carroll, the CA head of security, visited Bangladesh in October to monitor security arrangements as England toured the country for a month-long series where the home side drew the Test series 1-1 and lost the three match ODI series 2-1.

Since then the cricket authorities of the two nations have been negotiating a fresh chance for Australia to tour Bangladesh, with the possibility of limited-overs matches to complement the Test series.

http://www.wisdenindia.com/cricket-n...sh-tour/250255

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Before BD would have been odds on for good results but after the Indian tour I'd say Australia should win in all formats.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakpak View Post
    Before BD would have been odds on for good results but after the Indian tour I'd say Australia should win in all formats.
    It should be a good fight. Right now, after their India tour, Australia does look like the favorites.

Excellent opportunity for BD to continue the progress they have shown the past few years.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    588 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good for Bangladesh cricket.

Demons run when a good man goes to war
    GO NAWAZ GO!

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for Bangladesh. In Tests I would expect Australia to win following their impressive improvement in India. LOI should be very entertaining series; Bangladesh are very strong at home but Australia are one of the best ODI sides.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steven Smith alone would beat BD bowling to pulp. That's if Smith plays. Warner should obviously play to improve his horrendous stats in Asia.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still plenty of time for the Aussies to back out at the last minute while their players are sitting in an Qatar Airways business class lounge citing "intelligence".

That being said, I hope the tour gets the all clear. We have the spinners and now the wickets to trouble the Aussies if rain doesn't ruin it.

On the flip side, with rain predicted we could draw all 4 Tests vs Pakistan and Australia and threateb Sri Lanka for 7th in the Test rankings.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1418 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutdown Corner View Post
    Still plenty of time for the Aussies to back out at the last minute while their players are sitting in an Qatar Airways business class lounge citing "intelligence".

That being said, I hope the tour gets the all clear. We have the spinners and now the wickets to trouble the Aussies if rain doesn't ruin it.

On the flip side, with rain predicted we could draw all 4 Tests vs Pakistan and Australia and threateb Sri Lanka for 7th in the Test rankings.
    Yeah Cricket Australia runs the Australian Government after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's see how Bangladesh fare against them.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Yeah Cricket Australia runs the Australian Government after all.
    That cynicism was directed at intelligence sources. There was supposedly a specific threat towards Aussie nationals presumably because of religion. Someone ought to let the folks know that the majority of Brits, Italians, and Japanese are just as not muslim as the majority of Aussies. The UK had a legit excuse for not touring last year, and I was sure they wouldn't. Kudos to them.

Is Bangladesh safe? Of course not. But its safer than Belgium or Chicago.

That being said, I do have faith in Cricket Australia, I just hope its not misplaced.
    Last edited by Shutdown Corner; 20th April 2017 at 04:20.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for BD that AUS is touring them.

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Dhaka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 test and 2 odi series can happen as bd interested in test and aus interested in odi. If it happens i will be very happy. Good luck for the tour and both the teams. May be bd can win a test and one odi of that series. Good luck to bd for winning some.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I feel that an ODI series could be added. 3 ODIs would be fine. Bangladesh are doing well in ODIs at home.

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Dhaka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    I feel that an ODI series could be added. 3 ODIs would be fine. Bangladesh are doing well in ODIs at home.
    May be time won't permit for 3 odi. 2odi max can happen.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1418 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutdown Corner View Post
    That cynicism was directed at intelligence sources. There was supposedly a specific threat towards Aussie nationals presumably because of religion. Someone ought to let the folks know that the majority of Brits, Italians, and Japanese are just as not muslim as the majority of Aussies. The UK had a legit excuse for not touring last year, and I was sure they wouldn't. Kudos to them.

Is Bangladesh safe? Of course not. But its safer than Belgium or Chicago.

That being said, I do have faith in Cricket Australia, I just hope its not misplaced.
    The UK government told the Australian government that there was a specific threat towards Australians.

I'm not sure why British intelligence (or even the Australian intelligence) would do that in order to give the Australian Cricket team a reason not to tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    New Delhi, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    515 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Expecting a 1-1 draw in the tests and Australia winning the ODIs 3-0

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3500 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    This should be a decent series, I look forward to it. BD should prepare the same wickets they did for ENG @MMHSS

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakpak View Post
    Likewise.

Before Australia came here I would have called a straight up whitewash for Bangladesh but now I'm not too sure.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    820 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    This should be a decent series, I look forward to it. BD should prepare the same wickets they did for ENG @MMHSS
    Aussies are not Poms, unfortunately- if they see a rank turner, they won't play Maxi & Head (Read Moeen & Adil) as spinner on their batting skills😩

I think, in Test apart from wicket & toss going in favor, we'll need a starling series from Tamim, Sakib & Miraj to beat the Aussies. In terms of wicket, rank 3 day turner might back fire because that brings Aussies pacers in the game - 25 overs work load in 3 days means their 3 pacers will go flat out every ball & even after wining toss, we might go to first lunch at 72/6.

Rather, I would prefer the same wicket used in Chittagong (against Poms) - good turners, but the game will go to day 5 & you can chase 250+ on 4th innings. I think, Test should end 0-0; because I don't see more than 300 overs in 5 days in August/September. If still a result happens, 1-0 for AUS first, before any other results. Only challenge for AUS is that they 'll come straight at the start of season even before Shield practice starts, like last year in Lanka - in India, they were well prepared & got a bit of spin trial from PAK😝