User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

The incredible Mr. Younis Khan : His Test averages going into his final series

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1067 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It gives me great solace that this mountain of a man will retire after having dished out a wholesome phainti to the folks who deserve it the most, India.

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Younis Khan has great, great numbers. Absolutely awesome. I know it's a HUGE ask, but I'm hoping he bats beautifully througjout this series and takes his career average close to 56. I know he has it in him. Just needs a couple of mammoth scores and a few good ones as not out.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also the most catches by a Pakistani fielder.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the greats of Pakistan's Test history.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Haha brilliant average vs India.

A respectable average vs most teams.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giant, absolute giant. Once Amla and ABD leaves, test cricket will be devoid of its last truly great batsmen. I know Smith and co are working their way towards it but they are still in the middle of their careers.

Cherish the last remaining giants while you can.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    a Legend

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Are these his averages in his last series in these countries? I know he doesn't average 39 in South Africa or 44 in New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by dildildalwalla View Post
    Giant, absolute giant. Once Amla and ABD leaves, test cricket will be devoid of its last truly great batsmen. I know Smith and co are working their way towards it but they are still in the middle of their careers.

Exactly. Top post. It will truly be a sad day when no test cricket legends are around. Younis, Amla, AB and maybe even Cook are the last of a illustrious, dying breed.

Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post
    Younis Khan has great, great numbers. Absolutely awesome. I know it's a HUGE ask, but I'm hoping he bats beautifully througjout this series and takes his career average close to 56. I know he has it in him. Just needs a couple of mammoth scores and a few good ones as not out.
    Why 56? I'm hoping he retires with an average of 54, higher than Tendulker's.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    By the time he scored those runs, we'd already lost the series.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    834 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Lets hope he retires with a solid performance.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bleaf27 View Post
    With all the previous lessons I'm still due to give you, a basic math lesson.

An avg of 53.78 in 329 innings (Sachin) maintained over 20 years of cricket is harder to achieve than an average of 53.06 maintained over 207 innings in a much shorter career. I'm sure your not yet known Alma mater must have taught you this.
    Your obsession with me is pitiful when I couldn't give a rat's tail about your life.

Here's my simple math lesson:

54.01 > 53.78.

Here's hoping the bigger number is Younis Khan's test average by the time this series ends. Already averages more than Gavasker and Dravid and if he scores two centuries, will have a higher or equal number of centuries with those two.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    By that logic you will even disregard Sir Don Bradman who had an average of 99.94 after playing 80 innings.

Checkmate

Poor guy has challenges. Let him be. It's as if Sachin Tendulker ney koi ihsaan kiya hai by playing 200 tests. Those 200 tests meant that he had multiple chances to play in every country, play more matches against the weaker teams, etc.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Smith will end up with higher stature than Amla, AB , YK etc. He has already scored lots of runs in different venues. Comfortably the best test batsman right now.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

Please tell us the real story, what's his average against Australia in Australia, against NZ land , in NZ land and other overseas places. I agree , he is a king in UAE, not beyond that.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    Are these his averages in his last series in these countries? I know he doesn't average 39 in South Africa or 44 in New Zealand.

Exactly. Top post. It will truly be a sad day when no test cricket legends are around. Younis, Amla, AB and maybe even Cook are the last of a illustrious, dying breed.

It is his averages against those opponnents (regardless of where played).

There is no way he averaged 57 in the Australia Test series - other than is 175, he had a few starts but nothing substantial.

I do believe he has a Test average of 39 vs SAF. He scored 2 centuries against them when they toured Pakistan in 2007 and another hundred during SAF's tour of the UAE in 2010 but obviously - he struggled in SAF like most Asian batsman.

YK's average in England is 50+ but his overall average against them is brought down due to the fact that he only scored one century against them (in 2012) in the UAE and Pakistan.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    Please tell us the real story, what's his average against Australia in Australia, against NZ land , in NZ land and other overseas places. I agree , he is a king in UAE, not beyond that.
    50 in Australia, 43 in NZ.

He has managed to preserve respectable averages in every country except for SA and WI despite his obvious limitations.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post
    It is his averages against those opponnents (regardless of where played).

There is no way he averaged 57 in the Australia Test series - other than is 175, he had a few starts but nothing substantial.

I do believe he has a Test average of 39 vs SAF. He scored 2 centuries against them when they toured Pakistan in 2007 and another hundred during SAF's tour of the UAE in 2010 but obviously - he struggled in SAF like most Asian batsman.

YK's average in England is 50+ but his overall average against them is brought down due to the fact that he only scored one century against them (in 2012) in the UAE and Pakistan.
    You are right. Hopefully, he scores big in this series and gets his average in the West Indies to over 50 as well.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50+ average in Australia
    50+ average in England
    43 in New Zealand
    45 in Sri Lanka
    70+ in India
    50+ in Pakistan

Not that this will change your hate for the great man.

110 test matches is more than a good sample size. Whatever number of matches Rahul has played is not a good sample size. Stop embarrassing yourself, dude. Have some self-respect.
    Well if you do understand the concept of sample size , Tendulkar has played nearly double the number of games than Younis and has a career span twice as big. For your own convenience , you calculate your own sample size eh , I'm sure you are going in with a 95 % confidence interval as well.

Also Yuvraj's ODI avg is 36.80 vs Younis's avg 31.24 , so we can conclude that Yuvraj is a better batsman than Younis as well ?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3920 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Some of those overseas (outside Asia) stats would have helped Pakistan win the series had he not taken the whole series on average to adjust to the conditions. In the last 4 years, he failed in the two difficult pitches in SA, failed in 6 consecutive innings in England, failed disgracefully in NZ, and didn't do much in Australia until the series was over.

His runs outside Asia have largely been useless and inconsequential, which is the main reason why he never became the central figure in world cricket in spite of outstanding numbers on paper. There have always been 4-5 batsmen who have overshadowed him. A very good Test batsman and a very prolific flat track bully, but far from an ATG. His fans can repeat themselves a thousand times, the truth doesn't change.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50+ average in Australia
    50+ average in England
    43 in New Zealand
    45 in Sri Lanka
    70+ in India
    50+ in Pakistan

Not that this will change your hate for the great man.

110 test matches is more than a good sample size. Whatever number of matches Rahul has played is not a good sample size. Stop embarrassing yourself, dude. Have some self-respect.
    Doubt the authencity of these stats, I have very rarely seen him playing a good inning outside Asia. He had inflated his average with runs he piled up on batting friendly wickets against weaker opponent.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Indian occupied kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if you do understand the concept of sample size , Tendulkar has played nearly double the number of games than Younis and has a career span twice as big. For your own convenience , you calculate your own sample size eh , I'm sure you are going in with a 95 % confidence interval as well.

Also Yuvraj's ODI avg is 36.80 vs Younis's avg 31.24 , so we can conclude that Yuvraj is a better batsman than Younis as well ?
    no doubt yuvi is a better odi batsman than yk

Meri Awaaz suno....
    Mujhe Azaad karo....

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mir jibran View Post
    His examples are terrible, aren't they? Who in the world would argue against UVI being a better ODI bat than Younis? Lol. After 70-80 tests, it really doesn't matter how many you play, you have exhibited all your skills and most likely played in all conditions and against every opponent.

Younis Khan's away performances helped the team draw a series in England and win one in New Zealand. Almost won us a test in South Africa and one in Australia as well. Some people and their hate.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great batsman. Anyone who has scored as many runs as he has possesses the ability to concentrate for long periods of time. Deserving of praise.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Indian occupied kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His examples are terrible, aren't they? Who in the world would argue against UVI being a better ODI bat than Younis? Lol. After 70-80 tests, it really doesn't matter how many you play, you have exhibited all your skills and most likely played in all conditions and against every opponent.

Younis Khan's away performances helped the team draw a series in England and win one in New Zealand. Almost won us a test in South Africa and one in Australia as well. Some people and their hate.
    let people say whatever they want to but khan ll be remembered as one of the greatest test bats

Meri Awaaz suno....
    Mujhe Azaad karo....

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You are right. Hopefully, he scores big in this series and gets his average in the West Indies to over 50 as well.
    I hope so too!

The slow and low pitches should suit his style of batting.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't have a problem even if he retired with an average of 52 but I'm hoping he can get it close to 56 because that would make him an undisputed ATG.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mir jibran View Post
    And also Rahane with ODI avg of 32.42 better than YK with avg of 31.24 ?

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

Beautiful thread title because Super-Human Khan is indeed incredible, he is a once in a generation Pakistani batsman and one of the greatest of all time. People can belittle him based on subjective views but his performances do not create a fallacy of how good he is on any level, the man is an ATG match winner and someone you'd pick to bat for your life because unlike other talents he has the mental fortitude, heart and courage to overcome all odds and not bottle it

Khan has conquered life itself, cricket was always going to be a walk in the park in comparison despite the immense challenges.

#ThankYouSuper-Khan

Last edited by shaz619; 21st April 2017 at 14:11.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your service Sir. Despite what people here might say about his ability, he's enjoyed a good career and should be happy with what he achieved. Will never forget the 2009 WT20 and 313 in Karachi. Our best test bat of the last decade.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For whatever reasons he was deprived of a series in NZ, Australia and England when he was at his peak... I.e 2009 and 2010.

Despite this he is a proven great!
    Some of his innings in Australia, New Zealand and England have been absolutely top drawer. Let's not forget his materclass in India and other equally great knocks in Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

Had others stood up with YK then I have no doubt that we could have had more victories.

Also, the thing that sets him aside is that when he scores he usually goes big So more often not when YK scores the team usually wins.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And also Rahane with ODI avg of 32.42 better than YK with avg of 31.24 ?
    YK was only good in ODI's for a couple of years and that too when he batted at 6.

It is universally known that YK was poor in ODI's so yes Rahane probably is better then YK in odi's.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    One of the very best test batsmen to have ever played the game. Will definitely find a place in this decade's test XI with Amla and Sanga.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    Smith will end up with higher stature than Amla, AB , YK etc. He has already scored lots of runs in different venues. Comfortably the best test batsman right now.
    All that is hypothetical. Right now ,we know who the greats are for sure and they won't be around for much longer.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to answer your question, Khan averages 58 in NZ and I think 44 or 45 in SA. Home and away combined, his average against SA increases to 48.

Not sure where OP got those exact numbers from. As you say, they may well be for recent tours.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just to answer your question, Khan averages 58 in NZ and I think 44 or 45 in SA. Home and away combined, his average against SA increases to 48.

Not sure where OP got those exact numbers from. As you say, they may well be for recent tours.
    The averages in OP are his averages against those teams, overall.

58/44 is incorrect, he averages 43 in NZ and 32.6 in SA.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    The averages in OP are his averages against those teams, overall.

58/44 is incorrect, he averages 43 in NZ and 32.6 in SA.
    Again you are wrong.

IN NZ he average 57.96

IN SA he averages 44.57

Overall, it is 57.57 and 48.22 respectively.

This is according to cricinfo. I am not sure what your source is. I would screenshot it but I'm lazy. Just have a look for yourself.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again you are wrong.

IN NZ he average 57.96

IN SA he averages 44.57

This is according to cricinfo. I am not sure what your source is. I would screenshot it but I'm lazy. Just have a look for yourself.
    Name:  IMG_20170421_224651.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  196.8 KB

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Again you are wrong.

IN NZ he average 57.96

IN SA he averages 44.57

Name:  yk.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  126.4 KB

You're confusing the two.

The stats above are his figures AGAINST teams, which are the ones in OP.

The ones below are the ones IN those respective countries.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    SA: 39.60*

*:vs Steyn

Nothing against YK, but maybe indicative of Steyn's ability?

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Name:  yk.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  126.4 KB

You're confusing the two.

The stats above are his figures AGAINST teams, which are the ones in OP.

The ones below are the ones IN those respective countries.
    LOL you know what I was confusing? The columns. I was looking at sr not avg lol

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    LOL you know what I was confusing? The columns. I was looking at sr not avg lol
    Ah right.

I may be guilty of making the same mistake in the past.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah right.

I may be guilty of making the same mistake in the past.
    haha

what confuses me is that as good a batsman as YK is, his numbers are better gaainst Aus and England than they are against NZ, even though the kiwis havent quite had the bowling the other two had. Thats what got me. An average of 50+ against them would have suited him better lol

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    going to seriously miss him ... the best Pak test batsman of all time, bonafide ATG. No Pak batsmen played more impact innings more frequently then YK and he loved scoring daddy 100s!

Was always a treat to watch once he got in.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandiasza View Post
    SA: 39.60*

*:vs Steyn

Nothing against YK, but maybe indicative of Steyn's ability?
    Of course. Steyn is a bonafide ATG and arguably one of the top five test pacers of all time.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    haha

what confuses me is that as good a batsman as YK is, his numbers are better gaainst Aus and England than they are against NZ, even though the kiwis havent quite had the bowling the other two had. Thats what got me. An average of 50+ against them would have suited him better lol
    Yeah, he did average 50+ against them before the most recent series he played against them but he was unsuccessful on the lawns that the Kiwis laid out for Pakistan. He's 40 years old so its understandable that he was unable to acclimatize to those pitches, especially when Pakistan's tour match was also rained off.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only time will tell that. But Younis has had a great test career, particularly, the last 6-7 years.One of the greats, if not ATG,even though his game vs pace wasn't that great.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eng 46
    NZ 44.05
    SA 39.60
    WI 43.23
    Apart from these four he had 50+ avg and against WI in WI only 23.44. Its good time for him to close well.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, he did average 50+ against them before the most recent series he played against them but he was unsuccessful on the lawns that the Kiwis laid out for Pakistan. He's 40 years old so its understandable that he was unable to acclimatize to those pitches, especially when Pakistan's tour match was also rained off.
    Ah yeah that would make sense.

It would be interesting to do a breakdown of YK against the best bowlers of the last 10-15 years.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the greatest ever to play the game. He isn't hyped like Sachin or Ponting, but he belongs to that league. His technique against spin is legendary. In pressure situations, he is better than Sachin or Lara. All time great!

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG avg above 88 vs India is such a big achievement.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sabashahid View Post
    OMG avg above 88 vs India is such a big achievement.
    Absolutely. Balaji and VRV Singh finally met their match!

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Indians still wounded after the beatings Khan gave India

Ah, so this is what it feels like