Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Shimron Hetmyer - Watch out for this kid

Former West Indies U19 captain. This guy is a special prospect.

He's got a complete game.

KINGSTON, Jamaica (CMC) — West Indies’ latest batting recruit, Shimron Hetmyer, has hailed his outing in the three-day tour game against Pakistan as a learning experience and an important boost to his career.

The 20-year-old struck 97 in the contest at the Trelawny Multi-purpose Stadium last weekend, a knock that helped him force his way into the 13-man squad for the opening Test bowling off here tomorrow.

“I’ve learnt that going through my innings, I should take it a ball at a time and a session at a time as well,” the Guyana Jaguars left-hander said.

“[I need to also] just keep my eyes on the ball as much as possible and try and communicate as much as possible with my partner to see what’s going on. Just waiting and being more selective [is also important].”

Hetmyer has been on the selectors’ radar ever since he captained West Indies Under-19s to their triumph at last year’s Youth World Cup in Bangladesh.

He further impressed in the regional four-day championship by gathering nearly 500 runs and was rewarded with a call-up to the WICB President’s XI side to face the Pakistanis.
    Hetmyer said such tour games against international opposition were crucial for young players in the region.

“I think it is very important. [It tells us] where we are in our cricket and where we should improve and where we can improve,” he pointed out.

“If this should continue and we get more youngsters in the system, they would understand where they are and know how to build later.”

A naturally aggressive player at the top of the order, Hetmyer struck 11 fours and two sixes in a breezy 115-ball innings against a Pakistan attack that included the likes of leg-spinner Yasir Shah and pacer Mohammad Amir.

He said the knock had been important since he failed to get a significant score in his previous first-class outing.

“I just played to my strengths, that was mainly it. I just chose the balls that I could put away and I think I did that well,” he explained.

“The ball that I got out with, I don’t think I could’ve really done that much but then again, that’s how cricket goes sometimes.”

He added: “It (innings) boosted me a lot because coming off the last first-class game I played in Barbados, I didn’t really get much,so I was hoping to get some in this game and I think that came off.”

http://m.jamaicaobserver.com/mobile/...-Hetmyer_96130
    Last edited by MenInG; 21st April 2017 at 16:22.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Showing great poise. Off stump game is tight.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    Showing great poise. Off stump game is tight.
    Aamir gets him.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamza_ View Post
    Aamir gets him.
    Unplayable. Stayed low.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unplayable. Stayed low.
    Was set up very beautifully.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He looked very solid in his stay. No nerves and looked in total control until he got that superb delivery from Amir.

WI should invest in him.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If he's an attacking player, then should set him up to open with Brathwaite.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Watch out for this kid you say more like he better watch out for his off stump

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Watch out for this kid you say more like he better watch out for his off stump
    This guy's real solid man. One of the best young prospects I've seen in a while.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    This guy's real solid man. One of the best young prospects I've seen in a while.
    I hope so, always nice to see a good WI's prospect come through; but that's where it all ends, he ought to end up in a fight with his board before resorting to foreign leagues to make a living which is a damn shame. These guys do not develop their players and are abject failures at managing their careers.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I tried to watch out, but by that time he was back in the pavilion

Jokes aside he looked like a class apart in the u19 WC. Windies are doing it the wrong side up. He should have been blooded in the T20s or ODIs.

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This guy is dangerous man. He's got that mental edge and killer instinct.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    775 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Impressed with how he's willing to take on the bowlers debut or not. Needs to be given time in the team.

When Darren Bravo comes back, I'd have Vishaul Singh make way and have a middle order of Bravo, Hope and Hetmyer.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Get him in next game.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Looks like he might get a chance in the next game after a hundred in the warm-up today against Leicestershire... Why was he batting at #9 though?

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    In your dil, but not in your dimaag.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Looks like he might get a chance in the next game after a hundred in the warm-up today against Leicestershire... Why was he batting at #9 though?
    Sohail Tanvir's contagious "protect the youngsters and bat them behind you" theory must've contaminated WI minds in CPL.

Swing it like Akram, whack it like Afridi, live it like Inti.