Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"Finally, I am really enjoying my cricket" : Shoaib Malik

Regarded as one of Pakistan's finest all-rounders, Shoaib Malik at the age of 35 continues to impress and confound his fans and critics in equal measure with excellent performances. In 368 international appearances for his country, the all-rounder has scored over 10,000 runs, taken 210 wickets and is an in-demand performer at the various Twenty20 leagues around the world.

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, Shoaib Malik spoke about how he is enjoying his cricket these days, his impressive fitness, impressions of Shadab Khan as an excellent future prospect for Pakistan, Younis Khan's achievement of reaching 10,000 runs in Test cricket, his thoughts on Misbah-ul-Haq's leadership in Test cricket, his views on Sarfraz Ahmed's captaincy and his own future.

PakPassion.net : You seem at peace with yourself on the cricket field. Relaxed, without pressure, at ease and enjoying your cricket these days?

Shoaib Malik : Am I giving it away that easy?! (laughs) Yes, I am feeling good about my fitness and my game, but there is always pressure in cricket. With experience, you learn how to handle it and how not to show much of it, but playing any professional sport always has pressure around the corner. I always wanted to enjoy my cricket, it’s my passion and what I love, and finally I am really enjoying my cricket.

PakPassion.net : At 35 is it tougher to get out of bed every day and do the practice, the gym work and training that is required at the highest level of cricket?

Shoaib Malik : The discipline and focus required at the highest level of cricket these days is quite demanding, no matter what your age. It gets difficult and yes, it's challenging to keep a balance, but results don’t understand sick days, or laziness, or off days, or sleep-ins. So, I’m sticking to the basics and the rule is; show up. To me that’s what a champion is about, persistent about dreams and determined to prove – day in day out. Our bodies are miracles, they just need to be taken seriously.

PakPassion.net : Your fitness levels are astonishing, what's the secret, is it the Sialkoti water?

Shoaib Malik : Astonishing may be a tad bit exaggerated though, but, yes, I’m focused on my fitness and it’s important to me and for me. For a successful athlete, fitness must be your strength, or else it gets very tough to make it. Fitness is something that helps you be consistent over a period of time, and I believe that fitness cannot be compromised.

PakPassion.net : Your thoughts on the career of Younis Khan and what he has achieved?

Shoaib Malik : What an achievement that is to score 10,000 Test runs! Younis Khan's career is astonishing. A career with nearly 18,000 international runs and an average of over 53 in Tests is just world-class. He is a figure that Pakistan cricket will miss overall. Younis Khan is an example of the high-level dedication and focus one can give to defy the general perception of age; Younis Khan is a champion.

PakPassion.net : Your thoughts on Misbah-ul-Haq's leadership and achievements since taking over as Pakistan captain?

Shoaib Malik : Astonishing! The performance of our Test team over the past few years has been world-class. I hear comments that our Test success is driven by the pitches in UAE or other silly comments. I disagree, there are advantages and disadvantages of any pitch in the world, but the fact is both teams have to make the most of the current and changing conditions. To undermine a streak of series wins backed up by rankings is pure ignorance. Misbah’s career has been loud, exemplary, and one that will be remembered for a never-give-up leadership attitude.

PakPassion.net : Two experienced Pakistani players are leaving Test cricket, is there any chance of a comeback to Test cricket for yourself?

Shoaib Malik : No, absolutely not. I made my decision to retire from Test cricket and I have no regrets about that decision. I gave up my spot to bring in upcoming talent, and I'm happy to see that there is serious progress on that front.

PakPassion.net : Mohammad Amir hasn't had the impact many thought he would have since returning from his ban, why do you think that is?

Shoaib Malik : To make and keep your place in the international side after being away for so long on its own is quite an achievement. As far as Amir’s impact since his return is concerned, you must have heard what Virat Kohli said during the World Cup about him. In team sports your performance is also a reflection of the team, and vice-versa. Had we been fielding the past 18 months like we have been recently, Amir’s impact would be even more significant. I think it's unfair to criticise Amir's bowling effort since his comeback, his economy is top notch and don't worry we will see the best of Mohammad Amir as a bowler in the coming years.

PakPassion.net : Shadab Khan has had a brilliant start to his international career. Your thoughts on him and advice for him going forward?

Shoaib Malik : I like Shadab, he has a good head on his shoulders, very athletic, adapts well to the situation and conditions. No advice from me is needed as I know he’s been getting too much advice these days already. I feel we have a superstar in the making and his focus should be on T20Is and ODIs for now. But my advice to fans and media is to be considerate and reasonable, Shadab Khan is just getting started, give him time and be patient with him.

PakPassion.net : Sarfraz Ahmed has come in for some stick regarding his shouting at younger players on the field. As a former captain, your thoughts on this aspect of his captaincy?

Shoaib Malik : Sarfraz has a lot of energy on the field to go along with his fighting spirit. All captains have different styles of handling a situation, some have an open-policy for name and shame, others don’t. You improve as a captain with experience, I did too, and so will Sarfraz; I have no doubt about that.

PakPassion.net : It looks like Sarfraz is going to be skipper across all 3 formats, your advice for him and how to get the best out of his players?

Shoaib Malik : As a player, I feel that Sarfraz is a supportive captain who believes in giving the best for his team. He leads the team well and has their trust too. All of these qualities will surely help any captain bring out the best from his players in all formats. I have high hopes from him to lead our ODI and T20I national teams and improve our rankings, which we have been struggling with.

PakPassion.net : With Shahid Afridi joining Karachi Kings at the Pakistan Super League, there are some rumors that you will move on from Karachi. Do you see yourself continuing with Karachi for PSL 3?

Shoaib Malik : Really? I haven’t heard these rumours yet. I'm just excited about the next PSL and once again playing alongside Lala.

PakPassion.net : Karachi Kings have underachieved at the 2 PSL tournaments. Why do you think that is?

Shoaib Malik : Yes we have. The quality of cricket in PSL 2 has been elevated especially with more international names and upcoming cricketers from Pakistan. The team that consistently wins, should have their A-game on consistently, and the teams that do that, reach the final stages. In franchise cricket or international cricket, it takes time for a team to figure out its winning combination that consistently delivers their A-game. Karachi Kings' management and the team is like a family, everyone synchronises well and is hungry to deliver. We identified opportunities and worked on them as a unit, and were a heartbeat away from a crack at the final.

PakPassion.net : What does the future hold for you?

Shoaib Malik : Look, I'm in a good place right now. As I said, I am enjoying my cricket. Life's good and when you are enjoying your cricket you want to continue and do well. I'm not going to make any bold predictions on how long I can play for and I haven't contemplated an age where I feel I will retire. I will continue to play for my country as long as I'm adding utility to the team.
    Last edited by Saj; 26th April 2017 at 17:12.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Instagram!

Please also follow PakPassion Sport!

Debut
    Apr 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best when it comes to handling media/social media (among Pakistani cricketers), and seems to have a very balanced/wise head

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Always feel sad when I think about Shoaib Maliks career

He was demonised for many years for no reason and a large portion of his career was needlessly wasted due to propaganda against him

Always enjoyed him as a player and was one of my favorites in the Woolmer era

Nice to see a renaissance in recent times

#MPGA

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    His second stint as it were, has been wonderful. Looks and acts like an accomplished sportsman and Pakistan are lucky to have him around.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Rama, Astore, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Malik is so good when it comes to interviews. This is just fantastic. Such a professional guy honestly.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has been tremendous since his comeback

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    His greatest impact on Pakistan cricket would have come during the time he was banned by Buffoon Butt. I suppose he has every right to be happy with his comeback. But I have soured on him for clear stated reasons. Won't be able to do much at CT and like Hafeez is likely to miss the bus to the world cup.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    His greatest impact on Pakistan cricket would have come during the time he was banned by Buffoon Butt. I suppose he has every right to be happy with his comeback. But I have soured on him for clear stated reasons. Won't be able to do much at CT and like Hafeez is likely to miss the bus to the world cup.
    2 of our group games are against India and Sri Lanka, I think Malik will do alright. Maybe that's not what we need, but it's hard to drop him given his recent performances and the ineptness of others

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The perfect veteran for the team. Not cocky and performs well in matches, leading by example.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good interview.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Key player in the middle order for Pakistan nowadays, he has been a beast since his comeback.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a lot of sports people say "oh I'm enjoying it so much" but over the last few years, his ODI cricket has been rejuvenated, he no longer looks like the lost boy he was when he was captain and yes, he is really, really enjoying himself. Is probably the best feilder around, when he gets given the ball he does well and he has been very good with the bat.

Ultimately, he is up for it now. Carefree in the way only a man at the top of his game can be. At 35 he seems to have matured in many ways. I hope he puts in a good shift in the CT!

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Good interview and great answers.

His comeback has been fantastic really.

I sure hope Malik performs well up until the 2019 WC and bows out gracefully after that, retiring with over 8,000 ODI runs at an average of 36-37, which, along with his bowling and tidy fielding, will ensure he goes down as a Pakistani great.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was he not enjoying his Cricket before that he is saying this? Has been doing well as of late, no doubt.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    Was he not enjoying his Cricket before that he is saying this? ...
    If you have followed Pakistani Cricket, NONE, I repeat, none can enjoy cricket for an extended period of time. It takes a year or two. Then either you become a victim of politics or you create the politics. That is how it has been since the 70s. Hard to enjoy the game.

Forgive when you are on top. Don't you want to be forgiven?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He seems to have finally matured and got over the issues he had earlier in his career . Terrific fitness and he's also a good fielder. Yes he limited against pace but he finds a way of scoring off them and is very good against spin.

Still one of the best odi middle order batsmen in Pakistan. Will be key in the champions trophy.

I think he will play till the 2019 WC

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shobby comes across as a gent and a true professional. And his ODI/T20 form at the moment is pretty damn good. Really pleased that he's turned round his career in the past 2-3 years.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    650 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I kid you not during the days of Inzi, Younis and Yousuf my favorite ODI player was Malik. Malik seemed like the guy who was always in control of the situation and you knew when he stepped out to the spinners that it is going out of here.

His career then went sideways, some of it due to proganda and politics and some of it due to his lack of performance.

Now that he is back, he sure is back with a vengeance. Average of 58 at 102 SR in the last two years. Wow wow wow.

It is unfathomable that he still has so many haters and specially those people who rate duds like Hafeez and the Akmals. You know who you are.

I hope Malik has a good end to his career and helps Pakistan achieve some major victory before leaving, but the team around him is not top notch with only a few who are truly there on merit.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    I hope Malik has a good end to his career and helps Pakistan achieve some major victory before leaving, but the team around him is not top notch with only a few who are truly there on merit.
    But doesn't the captain select the team or is it a case of 'if it's a captain I like, he is powerless on team selection'

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Indian occupied kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    501 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i hope he ends his career on a high at 2019 wc with 8000+ runs at around 37 38 avg

Meri Awaaz suno....
    Mujhe Azaad karo....

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Misbah’s career is exemplary, Younis Khan is a champion: Shoaib Malik

Pakistan’s experienced allrounder Shoaib Malik has all praise for the retiring duo of captain Misbah Ul Haq and the batting legend Younis Khan.

According to Shoaib Malik, Misbah Ul Haq’s career has been exemplary, loud and a memorable one. He also accredits him for Pakistan’s phenomenal run in Test cricket. He ridiculed all the claims that Pakistan reached the top Test ranking because of playing on UAE’s friendly pitches.

“The performance of our Test team over the past few years has been world-class. I hear comments that our Test success is driven by the pitches in UAE or other silly comments,” he said while talking to PakPassion.

“I disagree, there are advantages and disadvantages of any pitch in the world, but the fact is both teams have to make the most of the current and changing conditions,” he added.

“To undermine a streak of series wins backed up by rankings is pure ignorance. Misbah’s career has been loud, exemplary, and one that will be remembered for a never-give-up leadership attitude,” he told while lauding Misbah Ul Haq.

Moreover, the former skipper looked like a big admirer of Younis Khan, as he coined him a ‘champion’. Younis Khan recently became the first Pakistani to score 10,000 Test runs.

“What an achievement that is to score 10,000 Test runs! Younis Khan’s career is astonishing,” he said. “A career with nearly 18,000 international runs and an average of over 53 in Tests is just world-class,” he added.

Shoaib Malik called Younis Khan an example of dedication and determination, ”He is a figure that Pakistan cricket will miss overall. Younis Khan is an example of the high-level dedication and focus one can give to defy the general perception of age; Younis Khan is a champion.”

On another question regarding Malik’s top form in limited overs cricket, he told that he is feeling fit and really enjoying his cricket.

“I am feeling good about my fitness and my game, but there is always pressure in cricket. With experience, you learn how to handle it and how not to show much of it, but playing any professional sport always has pressure around the corner,” he answered.

“I always wanted to enjoy my cricket, it’s my passion and what I love, and finally I am really enjoying my cricket,” he added.
    Source: https://arysports.tv/misbahs-career-...-shoaib-malik/

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BD-fan View Post
    If you have followed Pakistani Cricket, NONE, I repeat, none can enjoy cricket for an extended period of time. It takes a year or two. Then either you become a victim of politics or you create the politics. That is how it has been since the 70s. Hard to enjoy the game.
    Highlighted part! He has been playing since time began!! No matter what profession you have to enjoy your job, period.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    650 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    But doesn't the captain select the team or is it a case of 'if it's a captain I like, he is powerless on team selection'
    There is a distinction between a captain who has been at the helm for 6-7 years, versus a captain who is just starting out.

Demons run when a good man goes to war
    GO NAWAZ GO!

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope he plays well in CT.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Former Pakistan captain and veteran all-rounder Shoaib Malik has praised the performance of pacer Muhammad Amir since his return to the national team after serving a five-year ban for spot-fixing.

The left-armer has faced criticism from some sections after not been able to pick wickets the way he used to before his ban, and Malik feels that the criticism is unjustified.

“I think it’s unfair to criticise Amir’s bowling,” said Malik while talking to PakPassion.net. “In team sports, your performance is also a reflection of the team, and vice-versa. Had our fielding these past 18 months been the way we have been fielding recently, Amir’s impact would’ve be even more significant. His efforts since his comeback and his economy is top-notch; I believe we will see the best of Amir in the coming years.”

The 35-year-old also congratulated both Younus Khan and Misbahul Haq, who are playing their final Test series for Pakistan, on their fantastic careers.

“Younus’ career is astonishing,” he said. “A career with nearly 18,000 international runs and an average of over 53 in Tests is just world class. He is a figure that Pakistan cricket will miss overall. Younus is the ultimate example of dedication and focus; he is a champion.”

Malik also praised Misbah for his exemplary leadership skills. “Misbah’s career has been loud, exemplary and one that will be remembered for his never-give-up style of leadership.”

Malik, who started playing cricket for Pakistan as a genuine off-spinner, also lauded young leg-break bowler Shadab Khan, and called him a ‘superstar in the making’.

“I like Shadab; he has a good head on his shoulders, is very athletic and adapts well to the situation,” said Malik. “I feel we have a superstar in the making and his focus should be on T20Is and ODIs for now. But my advice to fans and media is to give him time and be patient with him.”

While talking about his own form and fitness, Malik said that he is finally enjoying his cricket. “Yes, I am feeling good about my fitness and my game,” he said. “There is always pressure in cricket, but with experience, you learn how to handle it and how not to show much of it.”

He further added, “Playing any professional sport always has pressure around the corner. I always wanted to enjoy my cricket, it’s my passion and what I love, and finally I am really enjoying my cricket.”

The Sialkot-born all-rounder also brushed aside rumours that he is about to leave the Pakistan Super League franchise Karachi Kings and expressed excitement in playing alongside former Pakistan T20I captain Shahid Afridi, who joined Karachi after leaving Peshawar Zalmi.

“I haven’t heard these rumours yet. I’m just excited about the next PSL and once again playing alongside Lala [Afridi],” he said.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1399753...-shoaib-malik/
    Last edited by MenInG; 3rd May 2017 at 06:45.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2003
    Venue
    MCG
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shadab Khan ‘a superstar in making,’ says former captain

Pakistan middle order batsman Shoaib Malik, has praised young gun Shadab Khan and believes Pakistan has yet another ‘superstar in the making.’

Shadab Khan, who has been drawing heads since making his debut in international cricket against West Indies, was exceptional with his quick and sharp leg spin, claiming the man of the match awards in the T20I series.

“I like Shadab, he has a good head on his shoulders, very athletic, adapts well to the situation and conditions,” said Malik in an interview to PakPassion.net.

The veteran did not give any advice to the young Shadab, as Malik believes that ‘he’s been getting too much advice these days already.’

Pakistan former limited-overs skipper however, was of the view that Shadab who recently made his debut in Test cricket, should focus on the limited over of the game, and adviced the fans to stay ‘patient’ with Shadab.

“I feel we have a superstar in the making and his focus should be on T20Is and ODIs for now.”

http://www.brecorder.com/2017/05/03/...ormer-captain/

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    SMCHS, Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    It is unfathomable that he still has so many haters and specially those people who rate duds like Hafeez and the Akmals. You know who you are.
    Shots Fired !! - Let us Begin

Can we get a statement from Mr. @Hawkeye ??
    @shaz619 bro can you be the special referee for this match ??

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3628 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaqas92 View Post

I dully oblige

What's up with Pete these days, thought he had a reputation for being the anti-wrist-slitter, a case of relapse ? he needs the #POP

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3628 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    It's beyond me how even the biggest criticisers of Malik can be against his selection at the moment, they won't appreciate his performances now given the past though sadly but he is arguably the most important member of our ODI team.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaqas92 View Post

I think you need to read again the thread on separating minnow bashers from the others. One is equally good against top sides and minnows in the last 2 years, one is expectedly still poor against the top sides. I know who my pick would be.

At the end of a stressful, depressing day, a dose of cricket is what can cheer us up.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Malik definitely does look free of mind while playing these days.
    Awesome interview!

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big hopes from him to deliver in the CT.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Key man for the Champions Trophy more for his batting in the middle order.

Him in form could mean the difference between 270 and 300 plus.