Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

"I have toughened up mentally after having faced some adversities" : Umar Amin

Regarded as one of Pakistan's most promising batsmen, Umar Amin has to date played 29 times for Pakistan. A stylish left-hander, Amin last played for Pakistan in October 2014, whilst his last Test appearance was way back in 2010. Now 27, Amin has shown promising signs and good form once again in domestic cricket.

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, Amin spoke about areas of his game that he has worked on resulting in improvements, the recent Pakistan Cup tournament and his belief that he can serve the Pakistan team once again.

PakPassion.net : What was your impression of the recently concluded Pakistan One Day Cup tournament?

Umar Amin : Firstly, I would like to thank the Almighty as my personal form in the Pakistan Cup was excellent. I really enjoyed playing in the tournament as the standard of play was exceptional, as was the quality of the pitches. Most matches had scores of 300 or more by teams batting first but more importantly, even scoring something like 350 was not deemed to be safe on such excellent pitches. This is pretty similar to international pitches which are flat in nature and such scores are common. We were all lucky to have had the chance to play on such pitches where the teams scored over six runs an over on a regular basis. Of course, on a personal level, I am satisfied that I played three innings and finished as the fifth highest scorer in this tournament with two centuries to my name.

PakPassion.net : The confident Umar Amin of 2010 seemed to reappear in 2017 in the Pakistan Cup. Would you agree with that assessment?

Umar Amin : The fact is that similar to when in an off-season, a professional player will always work on his shortcomings and I have worked on my weaknesses during my time away from top-level cricket. Specifically, I worked on my fitness levels and also put in effort on my strength training as well. I have put in a lot of emphasis to fix areas that I felt that I was weak in. I gave special attention to the mental side of the game and played with a lot of composure during this tournament and it seems that things went according to my plans.

PakPassion.net : You had a confident start to international cricket in 2010 but was there some pressure on you which didnít allow you to fulfil that promise?

Umar Amin : I really donít think there was any extra pressure on me than one would expect for someone playing international cricket. There was nothing which would push me away from my natural game but I suppose luck also has something to do with it as well. You need good fortune sometimes which allows you to play those one or two special innings which can give a good impetus to your career and probably cover up for any failures along the way. Unfortunately, I never got to play such innings or bat at a specific position in the batting line-up which I could settle into and establish myself in the team. I feel that I have matured a lot after spending time in domestic cricket and have toughened up mentally after having faced some adversities along the way. I am much more dedicated now to my cricket and also have improved my fitness which is great for my future.

PakPassion.net : What shortcomings, specifically, did you work upon?

Umar Amin : I had some issues with fitness and strength where I would rely solely on timing for my shots. Given that international cricket has become very fast-paced and some amount of power-hitting is needed, I put in some effort in that aspect and the results of that were obvious in my performances in the Pakistan Cup. In the three innings that I played, I hit twelve sixes which is the most number of sixes in the Pakistan Cup which clearly demonstrates that I am now able to step-up a gear and play the big shots when needed. The other change I have made is to play with a free-mind in that whenever I go into bat, I calmly assess the game situation as well as the pitch, and try and keep things as simple as possible. The idea is to adapt to the current circumstances and then play with confidence.

PakPassion.net : Does it bother you that despite your fantastic performance in the Pakistan Cup, you were not selected for the Champions Trophy squad?

Umar Amin : I am one who believes that one should never let go of hoping for a better future. If I have missed selection for the Champions Trophy then I am hopeful that I will be picked for the next series by the selectors. If even that doesnít materialise then I will continue working and try to improve myself further, and so on. I will continue to knock on the doors for selection by maintaining my fitness and putting in better performances.

PakPassion.net : Is it not shocking that a player with such promise has just played only 29 times for Pakistan?

Umar Amin : In a sense, I am pleased that I have played for Pakistan 29 times so far, but then it is disappointing to know that I havenít been able to play more since 2010. If we look at my career, one can see that I have made a few comebacks during this time and at different batting positions and game scenarios. I have never played in the same position in back-to-back games. On top of that, whilst I may have played 10 T20Is, I only batted six times in those games. What that shows is that I have not been given consistent chances in the way you would give to a young player as he is introduced to international cricket.

PakPassion.net : Do you feel that our selectors are not in favour of including left-handed middle-order batsmen such as Fawad Alam and yourself?

Umar Amin : I would leave that to the selectors to answer but as far as we as players are concerned, we simply need to put in the hard work and performances which bring us to their notice for selection. We need to improve our performances and deliver as much as we can on the field as players.

PakPassion.net : Give us your thoughts about the glorious careers of two of Pakistanís most respected players, Misbah-ul-Haq and Younis Khan?

Umar Amin : The trend that these two players have set in terms of showing that age is just a number is simply amazing. As we know, Younis Khan and Misbah-ul-Haq are two of the fittest players in the Pakistan team. Apart from fitness, the dedication and hard work which they have put in to their game is a shining example for all of us. I have seen both of them train with dedication at the NCA in Lahore, where they regularly put in many hours to work on their batting and fitness. The statistics and achievements of both are clear proof and just rewards for their hard work in this game. We can only learn from such players and hope that we can come close to the high benchmark they have set. All youngsters now have some great examples in the shape of these two players to not only follow in terms of their cricketing skills, but also to learn to never to give up in the face of criticism as has been demonstrated by Misbah. In the same way, Younis Khanís achievement of being the first Pakistan batsmen to reach 10,000 Test runs is a huge achievement and a matter of pride for the nation.

PakPassion.net : Can you fill the gap left by the retirements of Misbah and Younis?

Umar Amin : I donít see why not! I have never doubted myself about the fact that I cannot take the place of any top batsmen such as Misbah or Younis in the team. I have the ability to do that purely based upon my performances and that is indeed my goal which is to prove my utility through my performances and to have what it takes to step into the position of anyone of these distinguished batsmen.

PakPassion.net : At the age of 27, you must feel that you are at the peak of your fitness and skills?

Umar Amin : Absolutely and quite apart from the fitness aspect, I feel that it is now that I truly understand what batting is all about. Looking back, I feel that I wasnít doing justice to my talent in my younger years where the idea was to just walk in bat and be done with it. With experience and age, I have a much better understanding of how to bat in different conditions. Now, I also have a good understanding of assessing a bowler and working out what shots to play against him, and also be able to judge the nature of the pitch. All these abilities have come to the fore after gaining experience over so many years of playing cricket.

PakPassion.net : How has playing at club-level improved your game?

Umar Amin : I must give credit to club cricket for a lot of improvement in my game as I have played this level of cricket a lot in the recent past and the results are there for all to see. I have taken part in Twenty20 and One-Day games at the club level and as we all know, the demands on fitness and skills at this level are pretty unique and tough. The pitches at club level are not usually of a high quality and one has to adjust oneís game to be successful at that level. Such experiences can only improve you as a batsman.

PakPassion.net : Would you say that you have the skills to represent Pakistan in all three formats of the game?

Umar Amin : All I will say is that I can only work on things that are under my control. I will put in my level best to maintain my fitness and form, and with good performances will continue to knock on the door of the selectors. I am very happy and satisfied with my game at the moment and God Willing will improve it even further. I am forever analysing my own performances by watching videos of my batting and I am making sure that I will continue to overcome any deficiencies so that it benefits me in the future. Let me add that I am not one of those who gives up easily and start thinking that they will never get another chance to play for Pakistan or will never be good in domestic cricket, or their fitness can never be improved further. I will continue to work towards an international comeback and will take my performances to that high a level which will make the selectors take notice of me, regardless of the format.

PakPassion.net : What does the future hold, do you feel that your best years in cricket are ahead of you?

Umar Amin : I have to agree with this sentiment as I feel that I am just getting started as far as my career is concerned. I feel much more mature and my future in cricket looks as bright as ever. I intend to make full use of any opportunity given to me at the international level. I intend to apply myself if given a chance and grab that opportunity with both hands. I am patiently waiting for this chance to come and will make full use of it when that time comes.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Very impressive determination by Umar Amin and does need a look in all formats but especially Tests.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Very impressive determination by Umar Amin and does need a look in all formats but especially Tests.
    At which batting position in your opinion?

Pakistan is that kid who never studies for his exams but is surprised when he fails.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we definitely need someone who can go for the big hits in the middle order. He should have been selected ahead of Umar Akmal.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belawal2014 View Post
    The middle order slots are open for discussion. If you need experience, one of Fawad or Umar Amin must get a slot

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very good player.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should play both ODI and Tests for Pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belawal2014 View Post
    No.4, I think.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4838 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Time to give him an extended run in all three formats. Him and Talat are two batsmen we need to look at.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You need to 'toughen up' your defense too.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1645 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Needs to be in the squad and him or Haris should replace Hafeez at number 4.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    The middle order slots are open for discussion. If you need experience, one of Fawad or Umar Amin must get a slot
    Fawad yes, Amin no.

Experience of what? Failure. He is highly experienced in that.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Should get a recall in the ODI team as an opener.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    Fawad yes, Amin no.

Second highest scorer in the 2015/16 Quaid-e-Azam Trophy.

However, he didn't have a productive season this time around - didn't do well in A tour and then only played 3 QeA games.

He probably needs another good FC season to be in the reckoning for the longer format.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1645 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Second highest scorer in the 2015/16 Quaid-e-Azam Trophy.

However, he didn't have a productive season this time around - didn't do well in A tour and then only played 3 QeA games.

He probably needs another good FC season to be in the reckoning for the longer format.
    He deserves it more in the ODI team. I think he is too loose to be a proper test batsman. He has the perfect game for an ODI middle order batsman, someone who can rotate the strike with ease and can hit sixes as needed.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    He deserves it more in the ODI team. I think he is too loose to be a proper test batsman. He has the perfect game for an ODI middle order batsman, someone who can rotate the strike with ease and can hit sixes as needed.
    He has always seemed like a top 3 batsman to me. The lowest position for him should be 4 I reckon. His most fluent innings in international cricket came as an opener, he only scored 25(26) but the innings had fluent strokeplay that too against South Africa in SA. In the Pakistan Cup he batted at number 3 and was practically opening thanks to Salman Butt and Kamran Akmal. I think he can, potentially, be the solution to our opening problems.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1645 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahdi View Post
    He has always seemed like a top 3 batsman to me. The lowest position for him should be 4 I reckon. His most fluent innings in international cricket came as an opener, he only scored 25(26) but the innings had fluent strokeplay that too against South Africa in SA. In the Pakistan Cup he batted at number 3 and was practically opening thanks to Salman Butt and Kamran Akmal. I think he can, potentially, be the solution to our opening problems.
    Number 3 position is locked down by Babar for the next 2 years atleast, unless there is severe downfall in form or Mickey Arthur keeps imposing Hafeez onto us. Amin can play as an opener but then again I don't think he has alot of opening experience, yes he looked good in that SA innings and that six off Philander was hella classy, but he fancies his chances more in the middle order. Hence he should slot in at number 4. I wouldn't him opening though. At the moment our openers are Shehzad and Azhar, anybody would be better than those two.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I agree, but the question was regarding Tests.

I am also of the opinion that if our foremost ODI opening options are going to be Shehzad and Azhar then we may as well give someone like Amin a chance.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Number 3 position is locked down by Babar for the next 2 years atleast, unless there is severe downfall in form or Mickey Arthur keeps imposing Hafeez onto us. Amin can play as an opener but then again I don't think he has alot of opening experience, yes he looked good in that SA innings and that six off Philander was hella classy, but he fancies his chances more in the middle order. Hence he should slot in at number 4. I wouldn't him opening though. At the moment our openers are Shehzad and Azhar, anybody would be better than those two.

His cricinfo profile does say he prefers opening.

But more importantly we already have plenty of candidates for the number 4 spot. Sarfraz can make a good number 4 but he is batting at 6; a role he isn't suited to. Haris if he gets his form going is another very good option. What we lack are good candidates for the opening slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    I agree, but the question was regarding Tests.

I am also of the opinion that if our foremost ODI opening options are going to be Shehzad and Azhar then we may as well give someone like Amin a chance.
    I am not completely convinced regarding Amin in Tests. Maybe he should make the squad but not the team. I think he needs to be tried out in tour matches before the national team. When SA and Australia toured the UAE he was outperformed by Haris and Babar quite thoroughly. Test cricket is more about mental application than having the strokes, for me he needs to make the jump to tests by proving himslef in ODIs and side matches first.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahdi View Post
    I am not completely convinced regarding Amin in Tests. Maybe he should make the squad but not the team. I think he needs to be tried out in tour matches before the national team. When SA and Australia toured the UAE he was outperformed by Haris and Babar quite thoroughly. Test cricket is more about mental application than having the strokes, for me he needs to make the jump to tests by proving himslef in ODIs and side matches first.
    Me neither. I thought that he had turned a corner when he did well in 15/16 QeA but he had a very disappointing FC season which is why I think he's due a big performance in the next season - otherwise, he'll be out of the picture.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Umar Amin vows to work harder to gain Pak selectors' attention

Karachi [Pakistan], May 5 : Pakistan left-hander batsman Umar Amin, who failed to make it to the national squad for the upcoming Champions Trophy despite some brilliant performances at the domestic level, has promised to keep working harder and work on his fitness to attract the selectors' attention.

Considered as one of Pakistan's most promising batsmen, Amin has appeared in just 29 matches for his side so far.

He, however, has been showing promising signs and good form in domestic cricket. Amin, who played for Punjab in the recently-concluded Pakistan Cup, finished as the fifth highest run-getter in the tournament with 296 runs in four matches at a batting average of 98.66.

"I am one who believes that one should never let go of hoping for a better future. If I have missed selection for the Champions Trophy then I am hopeful that I will be picked for the next series by the selectors. If even that doesn't materialise then I will continue working and try to improve myself further, and so on. I will continue to knock on the doors for selection by maintaining my fitness and putting in better performances," Pakpassion.net quoted Amin as saying.

Amin, who last played for Pakistan in October 2014, also revealed that he had matured a lot after spending some time in domestic cricket, while adding that he has become much more dedicated towards his game.

"I feel that I have matured a lot after spending time in domestic cricket and have toughened up mentally after having faced some adversities along the way. I am much more dedicated now to my cricket and also have improved my fitness which is great for my future," he added.

Talking about the shortcoming on which he had worked upon, Amin insisted that he has started backing his strengths and worked upon power-hitting techniques which were clearly reflected on his performances during the Pakistan Cup.

"I had some issues with fitness and strength where I would rely solely on timing for my shots. Given that international cricket has become very fast-paced and some amount of power-hitting is needed, I put in some effort in that aspect and the results of that were obvious in my performances in the Pakistan Cup," he said.

The 27-year-old further said that he now keeps his mind clear and calmly assess the situation every time he goes into the field.

"In the three innings that I played, I hit twelve sixes which is the most number of sixes in the Pakistan Cup which clearly demonstrates that I am now able to step-up a gear and play the big shots when needed. The other change I have made is to play with a free-mind in that whenever I go into bat, I calmly assess the game situation as well as the pitch, and try and keep things as simple as possible. The idea is to adapt to the current circumstances and then play with confidence," he added.

When quizzed if he could fill in the void that will be left by Test skipper Misbah-ul-Haq and veteran Younis Khan, Amin said that he has the ability to do the same purely based on his performances.

"I don't see why not! I have never doubted myself about the fact that I cannot take the place of any top batsmen such as Misbah or Younis in the team. I have the ability to do that purely based upon my performances and that is indeed my goal which is to prove my utility through my performances and to have what it takes to step into the position of anyone of these distinguished batsmen," Amin said.

Misbah and Younis had both announced that they will bid adieu to international cricket following the ongoing three-match Test series against West Indies.

http://www.business-standard.com/art...0500518_1.html

http://www.india.com/news/agencies/u...ntion-2101176/
    Last edited by MenInG; 6th May 2017 at 09:17.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    Fawad yes, Amin no.

Read his interview to understand the reasons.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Umar amin played as an opener once under dave/misbah in SA against SA...did well against the new ball against philander and tsotsobe where the regular opener shehzad scored a duck and shafiq gone for 1... I still remember his pull shot for six against philander with pure timing and zero power..why wasnt he given another chance as an opener when hafeez was labelled and stamped as steyn's bunny is a big? for MISBAH...
    ODI: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/685735.html

Umar Amin cricinfo profile: Playing role Top-order batsman "Since 2007, the left-handed Umar Amin has been among the most-talked about batting prospects for a future middle order without Younis Khan and Mohammad Yousuf, even if he prefers opening himself". http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan...er/288211.html
    As said above he prefers to open which he openly admitted in an interview.. Four tests in ENGLAND at the age of 20 and then never return lol while his seniors are feasting runs in UAE is not a yardstick for me to judge his potential as a test middle order...

Definitely needs an extended run at the moment...

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He is more talented than Asad Shafiq

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    I would pick him for the next 2 Test series at either number 4 or 5 and see what he can do.

I think he was messed around quite a bit since debut and it will be interesting to see how he has developed as a player.

I've always thought of him as more of a Test batsman.
    Last edited by Saj; 5th May 2017 at 21:45.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are too not many like him in our domestic circuit and I seriously hope he will be given an extended run in national team now. He is too good a player to be wasted.

Debut
    Jan 2003
    Venue
    MCG
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Umar Amin vows to work harder to gain selectors attention

DUBAI: Pakistan left-handed batsman Umar Amin, who failed to make it to the national squad for the upcoming Champions Trophy despite some brilliant performances at the domestic level, has promised to keep working harder and work on his fitness to attract the selectors’ attention.

Considered as one of Pakistan’s most promising batsmen, Amin has appeared in just 29 matches for his side so far.

He, however, has been showing promising signs and good form in domestic cricket. Amin, who played for Punjab in the recently-concluded Pakistan Cup, finished as the fifth highest run-getter in the tournament with 296 runs in four matches at a batting average of 98.66.

‘I am one who believes that one should never let go of hoping for a better future. If I have missed selection for the Champions Trophy then I am hopeful that I will be picked for the next series by the selectors. If even that doesn’t materialise then I will continue working and try to improve myself further, and so on. I will continue to knock on the doors for selection by maintaining my fitness and putting in better performances,’ Pakpassion.net quoted Amin as saying.

Amin, who last played for Pakistan in October 2014, also revealed that he had matured a lot after spending some time in domestic cricket, while adding that he has become much more dedicated towards his game.

‘I feel that I have matured a lot after spending time in domestic cricket and have toughened up mentally after having faced some adversities along the way. I am much more dedicated now to my cricket and also have improved my fitness which is great for my future,’ he added.

Talking about the shortcoming on which he had worked upon, Amin insisted that he has started backing his strengths and worked upon power-hitting techniques which were clearly reflected on his performances during the Pakistan Cup.

‘I had some issues with fitness and strength where I would rely solely on timing for my shots. Given that international cricket has become very fast-paced and some amount of power-hitting is needed, I put in some effort in that aspect and the results of that were obvious in my performances in the Pakistan Cup,’ he said.

The 27-year-old further said that he now keeps his mind clear and calmly assess the situation every time he goes into the field.

‘In the three innings that I played, I hit twelve sixes which is the most number of sixes in the Pakistan Cup which clearly demonstrates that I am now able to step-up a gear and play the big shots when needed. The other change I have made is to play with a free-mind in that whenever I go into bat, I calmly assess the game situation as well as the pitch, and try and keep things as simple as possible. The idea is to adapt to the current circumstances and then play with confidence,’ he added.

When quizzed if he could fill in the void that will be left by Test skipper Misbah-ul-Haq and veteran Younis Khan, Amin said that he has the ability to do the same purely based on his performances.

‘I don’t see why not! I have never doubted myself about the fact that I cannot take the place of any top batsmen such as Misbah or Younis in the team. I have the ability to do that purely based upon my performances and that is indeed my goal which is to prove my utility through my performances and to have what it takes to step into the position of anyone of these distinguished batsmen,’ Amin said.

Misbah and Younis had both announced that they will bid adieu to international cricket following the ongoing three-match Test series against West Indies.

http://dailytimes.com.pk/sports/05-M...tors-attention

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Pakistan’s left-handed batsman Umar Amin, riding on the back of two centuries in the recently concluded 50-over domestic tournament, the Pakistan Cup, believes he can fill the space left by Pakistan Test captain Misbahul Haq and veteran batsman Younus Khan when the duo call time on their careers after the West Indies series.

27-year-old Amin, who has represented Pakistan in only four Tests since his five-day debut in 2010, says he is ready to step into the position of any one of th

When asked if he can fill in for Misbah and Younus, Amin told PakPassion: “I don’t see why not! I have never doubted myself about the fact that I cannot take the place of any top batsmen such as Misbah or Younus in the team. I have the ability to do that purely based upon my performances and that is indeed my goal which is to prove my utility through my performances and to have what it takes to step into the position of anyone of these distinguished batsmen.”

‘Stronger than before’

Despite promising a lot, Amin was not able to make an impact in the national team during his 15-ODI and 10-T20I stint; however, the southpaw says that he has worked on his weaknesses and is now much better and stronger than before.

“I had some issues with my fitness and strength because of which I would solely rely on my timings for my shots,” revealed Amin. “Given that international cricket has become very fast-paced and some amount of power-hitting is needed, I put in some effort in that aspect and the results were clear in my performances in the Pakistan Cup. In the three innings that I played, I hit twelve sixes which is the most number of sixes in the Pakistan Cup which clearly demonstrates that I am now able to step up a gear and play the big shots when needed.”

What more has changed? “The other change I have made is to play with a free mind. Whenever I go to bat, I calmly assess the situation and the pitch and try to keep things as simple as possible. The idea is to adapt to the circumstances and then play with confidence.”

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1402965...-younus-shoes/
    Last edited by MenInG; 7th May 2017 at 06:47.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He deserves a chance in the national team. Previously I don't think he got a consistent run in a fixed batting position.

He has the shot range and the technique to score runs in international cricket. I wouldn't mind giving him a chance at number 4 or 5 in tests and opening in odis.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The question is after MISBAH and YOUNIS leave will we see guys like amin, haris and fawad replacing them or will we see the return of hafeez and UA... again no left handers in the lineup, which saw them bundled for 81 against 8th ranked WI..

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Definitely in the frame for a return.

Tough competition though.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Definitely in the frame for a return.

Tough competition though.
    Umar Amin Should open fur us in ODIs

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Umar Amin, you're going to become a future batting star soon.

Don't forget your biggest supporter Hawkeye then! The one who believed in you when most here didn't ;)

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Umar Amin, you're going to become a future batting star soon.

Don't forget your biggest supporter Hawkeye then! The one who believed in you when most here didn't ;)
    Was watching highlights of pak vs africa ct 2014 warm match he played some delightful shots

what a waste of three years he needs to improve mentally in international

otherwise he is complete batsmen

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeed5646 View Post
    Was watching highlights of pak vs africa ct 2014 warm match he played some delightful shots

what a waste of three years he needs to improve mentally in international

otherwise he is complete batsmen
    Yes, my friend. Though I think he is mentally ready now.

Been playing amazing knocks in domestic cricket - he was very inconsistent in domestics too back then.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, my friend. Though I think he is mentally ready now.

Been playing amazing knocks in domestic cricket - he was very inconsistent in domestics too back then.
    i hope he does well and get proper opportunity when he return

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    @Red Devil

He's coming.

#Hyped #ClassyLeftHandedGOAT #ClassyShovelMaster

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Hope he succeeds.

so easy on the eye

#MPGA

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wondering if he opens with Hafeez/Azhar/Shehzad or are going to be shove him in the middle and play Malik and co above him?

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    Wondering if he opens with Hafeez/Azhar/Shehzad or are going to be shove him in the middle and play Malik and co above him?
    Should be opening against India with Hafeez.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    @Red Devil

He's coming.

They picked Haris man, ignored Amin despite him scoring 571 runs in his last 8 List A innings at an average of 95.16!

But that's okay, we'll just have to wait a little longer, it'll only build more anticipation for the eventual return!

#BestLeftySinceLara #EvenBetterThanShanTheDestroyer

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Amin my boy should've been selected.

Total injustice.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He deserved it more than Haris Sohail...

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    @Red Devil

He's coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Hope he succeeds.

so easy on the eye
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamza_ View Post
    Should be opening against India with Hafeez.
    Amin my boy should've been selected.

Total injustice.

Glad that Selectors preferred Haris over Amin.

Excellent Move.

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TalentSpotterPk View Post
    Glad that Selectors preferred Haris over Amin.

Excellent Move.
    Haris is a B+ player who will eventually get banged up , break down and take his ball home because the schedule is too much to handle @Red Devil This indie darling must not be pushed ahead of more deserving talent which have paid their dues #Don'tHinderAmin
    Last edited by shaz619; 23rd May 2017 at 15:22.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Jokes aside, good luck to Haris hopefully he comes good, just concerned that hes not played enough cricket as of late @TalentSpotterPk but he did okay in the PC which is a good sign

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jokes aside, good luck to Haris hopefully he comes good, just concerned that hes not played enough cricket as of late @TalentSpotterPk but he did okay in the PC which is a good sign
    He needs more time.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait, were the previous posts serious ?

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Haris is a B+ player who will eventually get banged up , break down and take his ball home because the schedule is too much to handle @Red Devil This indie darling must not be pushed ahead of more deserving talent which have paid their dues #Don'tHinderAmin

Amin edges Haris in Aesthetics and fitness. That's it.

In all other areas Haris is way ahead of Amin.

Both played well in Pakistan Cup but for me for these two players only thing important was to show form and fitness . Our Top 4-5 List A pacers were not playing, wickets were flat batting paradise, legside boundary was 55 meters, catching was attrocious.

Saw one of Amin's innings. It was Classy on the Eye but dropped twice and twice there were sure shot catching oppurtunities but fielders did not sight the ball. Hence 4 chances gone begging in an Innings of 130. Won't see this in CT.

Since Overall Haris's International Career, Pakistan A performances and FC performances are way better than Umar Amin so He was preferred and rightly so.

This is the Best Season UA and HS had in most difficult batting conditions while both of them played.

This sums up. But both of them should be around Pakistan team.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Don't be surprised if a player gets the boot because of a mysterious "injury" and someone like Amin is picked.

Pakistan cricket for you.

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be surprised if a player gets the boot because of a mysterious "injury" and someone like Amin is picked.

Won't be surprised if the player is Hafeez or maybe even Shizzy.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1645 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If that helps us get our best possible eleven onto the field then I'm all for it.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Although I am a huge fan of Haris and really happy on his selection but Umar Amin shouldnt lose heart. Just keep working hard in M.Waseem cricket academy and please work on your defense and putting price on you wicket. There are few places up for grab in our opening slots and you never know there can be injuries too. If he continues the good work his time will come soon.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TalentSpotterPk View Post
    Amin edges Haris in Aesthetics and fitness. That's it.

In all other areas Haris is way ahead of Amin.

Both played well in Pakistan Cup but for me for these two players only thing important was to show form and fitness . Our Top 4-5 List A pacers were not playing, wickets were flat batting paradise, legside boundary was 55 meters, catching was attrocious.

Saw one of Amin's innings. It was Classy on the Eye but dropped twice and twice there were sure shot catching oppurtunities but fielders did not sight the ball. Hence 4 chances gone begging in an Innings of 130. Won't see this in CT.

Since Overall Haris's International Career, Pakistan A performances and FC performances are way better than Umar Amin so He was preferred and rightly so.

This is the Best Season UA and HS had in most difficult batting conditions while both of them played.

This sums up. But both of them should be around Pakistan team.
    Fitness is the keyword there otherwise I wouldn't be concerned about Haris and the inactivity is an issue as well, no doubt he along with Amin should be around the squad though but in this instance the safe option for me would have been Amin but I won't complain about Haris here but I just hope bringing him into the team now isn't too early

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Rawalpindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Better player selected among the two. I would have preferred Yamin though.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stallion__ View Post
    Better player selected among the two. I would have preferred Yamin though.
    Good u r not the selector. Though all three Amin Yamin and Haris should be in for Azhar Shehzad and Fahim. But here if Yamin is selected for UA then they will open with Azhar shehzad and hafeez will bat at 4. At least with Haris in top4 now there will be less than one tuk tuk out of three (Azhar shehzad Hafeez). They can even open with fakhar and hafeez that leaves to one tuk tuk and it depends. If Yamin comes in he will not play in the 11 as they will go with Amir junaid and Hasan ali. They are even contemplating an entry for ABBAS which might happen if they progress in the tournament.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Almost there for Umar but the fact that he was invited for the fitness tests etc shows that he is on the selector's radar

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fakhar
    Sarfraz
    Babar
    Haris
    Amin
    Talat
    Yamin
    Imad
    Shadab
    Amir
    Hassan

What a lineup

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He will get his chance soon.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He shouldn't play as a specialist batsman. He should play as a batting all rounder in place of Hafeez or Malik. His bowling is ok to decent.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great ti see him in the squad but i have to say he has been picked for wrong format. But if he keeps Shehzad out, i would be more than happy.

[QUOTE=Mamoon;9742871]Don't see us ascending from 7th/6th in the near future. 5-0 in England and South Africa awaits us, we will be lucky to even draw one match. [/QUOTE]

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not a terrible selection.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great now he should open with Fakhar Zaman and we can have this generation's Saeed Anwar and Aamer Sohail.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really wasn't impressed with him in his last spell for Pakistan. However he is only young and he may have improved. Hope he does well

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Scored his second hundred in the QEA Trophy today and is now the leading run scorer.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a very good Quaid E Azam trophy this season. Should have been selected in both test and odi squad, should be part of long term plan for WC.

Also considering he is the highest scorer by opening this season, I think he should get a look in ODI team as opener.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extra_Cover View Post
    Having a very good Quaid E Azam trophy this season. Should have been selected in both test and odi squad, should be part of long term plan for WC.

Also considering he is the highest scorer by opening this season, I think he should get a look in ODI team as opener.
    Already have better opener with Fakhar.... And better middle order with Fawad Alam Babar Azam Haris Sohail etc etc.... Why watch QEA when Fawad has FC average 50+ and Umar Amin has less than 40??

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoniInsafian View Post
    Already have better opener with Fakhar.... And better middle order with Fawad Alam Babar Azam Haris Sohail etc etc.... Why watch QEA when Fawad has FC average 50+ and Umar Amin has less than 40??
    I have got nothing against Fawad but as mentioned in other threads Fawad's inclusion should be based on his recent domestic record in which if I'm not wrong he has got 3 centuries in 3 season (albeit this one is still going on). Fawad should have been given a chance 3 years ago when he was scoring runs like a machine in domestics but they continued to stick with Asad and made Azhar open in test very late.

As of now, Fawad is not scoring runs like he used to. Giving him a chance now will take up a spot of a current performing player. That player will then later be given a chance while taking spot of another deserving player and the cycle will continue. Let me just repeat this one more time, injustice has been done with Fawad when he wasn't given a chance 3 years back. Injustice will be done to someone else if he is given the chance now.

By the way, QEA is the premier FC tournament of Pakistan. So QEA = FC.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At what number is he Batting and scoring runs?

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SARJ_BD View Post
    At what number is he Batting and scoring runs?
    Opening with SSGC. Scored runs at 3 in Pakistan Cup.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extra_Cover View Post
    Opening with SSGC. Scored runs at 3 in Pakistan Cup.
    His first hundred was while opening but he is now batting at #3 for SSGC because Sami Aslam has joined the side and is now opening.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umar Amin has been selected for 3 match T20I series against SL.... wrong format again...

[QUOTE=Mamoon;9742871]Don't see us ascending from 7th/6th in the near future. 5-0 in England and South Africa awaits us, we will be lucky to even draw one match. [/QUOTE]

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UN talkz View Post
    Umar Amin has been selected for 3 match T20I series against SL.... wrong format again...
    I think it's a way to keep him in the squad because the Test series is already over, ODI squad has been announced and are up 2-0, so they won't select him for T20's. However, in the following LOI series after the NZ tour, they will give him a chance.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Umar Amin can be tried as an opener which I have always felt is his true position. It will be very good for Pakistan if he has truly become a dependable batsman as he is one of the few batsman in the country who can score fluently on either side of the wicket on both the front foot and the back foot. He has earned himself a chance on the back of some solid performances but he has to grab it and prove he belongs at this level. Hopefully the team management realizes he is a candidate for the opening spot and not a middle order bat.

The only issue I have is that I want Haris to open for for us in ODIs and I am pretty sure he will do a better job. Though number 4 is also a good position for Haris provided we have 2 dependable and fluent openers.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UN talkz View Post
    Better to be in squad, rather than in wilderness. I am sure, if Arthur watches him in nets, with bat and ball - he won't forget that until Amin bats in match, then it's up to the player. Last time, he was a bit unlucky after WI & SAF tour, but I believe if he gets 3 shots against SRL, he'll make the SAF tour, if arranged. He is the perfect potential for a WC in UK, for his batting, bowling & fielding.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    I actually believe Umar is more suited to Test cricket than the limited-overs formats.

His technique seems to be best suited to the 5 day format but they keep including him in the shorter format squads.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Selected in the wrong format

PCB destroying careers

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bump

Hope Amin gets his chance in this t20 series, even though its his weakest format.

In the past i have taken issue with Amin mainly because he wasn't consistent in domestic cricket.

However in recent seasons he has been one of the best performers across all formats.

I think there is room for him in all formats if he plays his natural free flowing game, by no means is he a hard hitter but he has plenty of strokes.

sadly though i doubt we will see him this series.

Sarfraz also made a mistake in not playing him once in the PSL

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Injustice towards Amin. He could've been one of the top ODI bats right now but it looks like sarfraz has something against him.

I mean even a 15 year old kid would've picked him over Asad Shafiq in PSL

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inzi needs to select him as opener for Tests.