Ishan Kishan - Indian batsman - Page 3


Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 161 to 195 of 195
  1. #161
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    4,065
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rohit Sharma taught Ishan Kishan how to play fearless cricket

    NEW DELHI: Ishan Kishan was just five when his father, Pranav Kumar Pandey, introduced him to coach Uttam Mazumdar at the Moin-ul haq stadium in Patna.
    Mazumdar, just like he used to do with other students, asked Ishan to go to the nets and face a couple of deliveries. Watching a young Ishan batting with confidence, coach Mazumdar decided to take him under his wing.
    Now, after almost sixteen years, Mazumdar was heard cheering "come on Ishan" while sitting in front of his television set at his residence, watching his student playing for the country and smashing the England
    bowling attack with ease.
    The 22-year-old Ishan made his debut in the second T20I against England on Tuesday in Ahmedabad and smashed 56 runs off 32 balls, an innings which was studded with 5 fours and 4 gigantic sixes.
    With this he also became just the second Indian batsman, after Ajinkya Rahane, to score a fifty on T20I debut. His tally of four sixes in fact is the highest for an Indian batsman on debut on a T20 International. He also walked away with the Man of the Match award.

    "It's been a long journey. It's sixteen years of hard work put in by Ishan and me. He has struggled a lot and put in a lot of hard work to reach this level. It was a proud moment for me to see him debut for India and play a match-winning knock. I was in front of the television set and watching him bat. I was in tears when he dedicated that knock to my father who passed away recently.
    I am going through a tough time, but his words made my day. He played an unbelievable knock," Mazumdar told Timesofindia.com.
    "He was five when he came to the Moin-ul-Haq stadium with his father. I took him to the nets and bowled a couple of deliveries to him. I realised he was talented and agreed to coach him. I told his father - 'this guy is a prodigy' and that he will go a long way," he said.

    VIRAT BROKE THE DEBUT NEWS TO ISHAN
    Ishan was handed his debut cap by India captain Virat Kohli. Apart from Ishan, Mumbai batsman and Ishan's Mumbai Indians' teammate Suryakumar Yadav also made his debut, but he didn't get a chance to bat.
    Ishan was emotional and called his childhood coach and expressed his emotions and excitement.
    "Ishan called me ahead of the match and said Virat bhai came and said you are making your debut today. He said 'sir, I am so happy'. He was very emotional at that moment. After handing the debut cap, Virat asked him to address the team. I wanted to keep him grounded. I just said, everyone makes a debut but there are very few who make their debuts unforgettable," Mazumdar further told TimesofIndia.com

    I told him to stay calm and be composed and relaxed. I told him - 'you have faced world-class bowlers in the IPL and you have smashed them all over the park So go with the same mindset and intent"smashed them all over the park. So, go with the same mindset and intent.

    Ishan was adjudged 'Man of the Match' for his valiant half-century. The Jharkhand batsman dedicated his maiden MoM award to his childhood coach's father, who passed away recently. "My coach's dad passed away a few days back and this innings was for him," Ishan had said during the post-match presentation.
    "I was waiting for his call. He called me at 1 am. He was really happy. The first thing he said was - 'Sir, I did it'. It was a huge tribute to my father. He was very close to my father.
    "Ishan always loved my father. My father always blessed him. In 2019, Ishan came to my place after a domestic match and sat with my father. My father predicted that Ishan will play for India in 2021. And his words came true. That was a huge blessing," Mazumdar said.

    A DEBUT TO REMEMBER
    When Ishan was batting on 42, he smashed England spinner Adil Rashid for back-to-back sixes to bring up his half-century.
    After completing his half century though, Ishan forgot to raise his bat and acknowledge the crowd. It was Kohli, who was batting with him at that time, who told him to raise his bat.
    Narrating the incident, coach Mazumdar said: "I asked about this over the phone. Ishan said 'Sir I forgot to raise my bat after the half-century'. We were both laughing. He said 'Virat bhaiya told me 'bat to dikha' (show your bat)'. Then he raised his bat and greeted the crowd."He also told me that when he reached 48 with a six, Virat said 'Ishan, sambhaal ke' (be careful, Ishan). He said 'haan bhaiya' (yes, brother) and showed a thumbs up to him. Off the very next ball, he again smashed a sixer to reach his half-century. Virat went up to Ishan and laughed while patting him on his head."

    ROHIT SHARMA'S ROLE IN ISHAN'S PROGRESS
    Ishan plays under Rohit Sharma's captaincy in the Mumbai Indians team in the Indian Premier League. Ishan also opened the batting alongside Rohit during the last edition of the IPL.
    In 14 matches Ishant played for Mumbai Indians last season, he scored 516 runs at an average of 57.33, including four half centuries. He also narrowly missed out on a century when he was dismissed for 99 during a match against Royal Challengers Bangalore.
    "Ishan has got a lot of confidence from Rohit. He has played a lot of cricket under Rohit's captaincy. Ishan has learned the art of playing fearlessly from Rohit. Rohit is his mentor and captain at Mumbai Indians. In the last IPL, Rohit gave him the opportunity to open the innings in the UAE. Rohit asked him to open alongside him. Rohit taught Ishan how to play fearless cricket. Ishan is fortunate to have a captain like Rohit," Ishan's childhood coach Mazumdar further told TimesofIndia.com.

    THE UNDER-19 DAYS AND THE COMPETITION
    Ishan was the captain of the Indian team in the 2016 Under-19 World Cup. He led a team that had the likes of Rishabh Pant, Washington Sundar, and Khaleel Ahmed - all players who made their India debuts before him.
    On being asked about the competition between the players who played together in the past, Ishan's coach Mazumdar said: "They are good friends. They all respect each other. They have played cricket at the junior level together. The best part is that Ishan has spent more time in the domestic circuit in comparison with others. So he can handle pressure more than anyone else. It's good competition. It is healthy because they are all talented cricketers. The more the competition, the more Ishan will
    mature. He shouldn't lose his focus. That's all."
    "Cementing a place in the Indian team is very tough and challenging. I have asked him to take it one step at a time. He is very young and has a long way to go. There is a lot of competition within the team, so he needs to proceed slowly and perform consistently," he said.

    "The best part is that Ishan, Washington, and Rishabh were all groomed under Rahul Dravid sir. He has polished these cricketers and the results are in front of us. All three are doing really well," Mazumdar signed off.


    https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/81528415.cms
    Last edited by OMB; 16th March 2021 at 17:31.

  2. #162
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    55,249
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    What a debut

  3. #163
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Fortress Europe
    Runs
    2,472
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope he continues like this. We've needed a good no 3 (without Kohli) for some time now.

  4. #164
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    1,049
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he was playing for Pakistan who would he be compared with 🤭

  5. #165
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    55,249
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    We needed some left handed in that line up

  6. Google Ad Manager-
  7. #166
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    4,065
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Virat bhai said ‘be prepared, you’re selected as an opener in India T20 World Cup team': MI batter Ishan Kishan

    Ishan Kishan is arguably one of the most attacking batsmen going around in Indian cricket and perhaps that is reason why India captain Virat Kohli is thinking of him as an opener in the T20 World Cup.

    Mumbai Indians may have failed to qualify for the IPL 2021 playoffs but there is still a lot of excitement around MI players primarily because six of their squad-members are part of India's 15-man squad for the T20 World Cup beginning on October 17, two days after the IPL final. One of them is Ishan Kishan. The others - Rohit Sharma, Suryakumar Yadav, Hardik Pandya, Jasprit Bumrah and Rahul Chahar - too are vital parts of the set-up but there is a different curiosity around Ishan Kishan.

    The left-hander is arguably one of the most attacking batsmen going around in Indian cricket and perhaps that is reason why India captain Virat Kohli is thinking of him as an opener in the T20 World Cup.

    Kishan, who slammed a 16-ball fifty in MI's last league match against SRH in Abu Dhabi on Friday, and finished with 84 off 32 balls, revealed that Kohli had told him to be prepared to open the batting for India in the upcoming ICC event.

    "I would love to open and that's what Virat bhai said - 'you are selected as an opener, you just have to be prepared for that.' In the bigger stage, you need to be prepared for every situation I feel," Ishan Kishan told host broadcaster Star Sports after the game against SunRisers Hyderabad.

    The Indian side has two designated openers in Rohit Sharma, KL Rahul with Kohli himself being the third option - the captain has been opening regularly for RCB in this IPL.

    But Kishan, who was going through a rough patch while batting in the middle order in the UAE leg of IPL 2021, immediately struck form, hitting back-to-back swashbuckling fifties after being promoted as an opener.

    "I would love to open and that's what Virat bhai said - 'you are selected as an opener, you just have to be prepared for that.' In the bigger stage, you need to be prepared for every situation I feel," Ishan Kishan told host broadcaster Star Sports after the game against SunRisers Hyderabad.

    It has been made keeping in mind future roadmap: Sourav Ganguly on Virat Kohlis decision to step down as T20 captain
    'It has been made keeping in mind future roadmap': Sourav Ganguly on Virat Kohli's decision to step down as T20 captain

    “A very good thing for me and for the team getting some runs, and getting into good touch before the World Cup. Was in a good state of mind, was very positive. We had to get somewhere around 250-260, it was the intent and positive intent,” Kishan said.

    Mumbai won the match by 42 runs but it was not enough to take their NRR over Kolkata Knight Riders, who qualified as the fourth team after Delhi Capitals, Chennai Super Kings and Royal Challengers Bangalore for the playoffs.

    "The one I smacked off Malik through the covers - that's the one (his favourite shot). In this tournament, you have to be prepared for every circumstances. It's important to be in the right mindset and you need to go with your best form," he said.

    Kohli was seen having a long chat with Kishan last week, when the left-hander was dejected following a few low scores.

    “I had a good chat with Virat bhai, Jasprit bhai also helped me. Even HP, KP were there to support me. Everyone supported me and they said it's a learning stage for you, make sure you learn from here and don't make the same mistakes in the upcoming world cup games. That was the part where I learned from them. I was just taking one point at a time,” he added.


    Rohit Sharma also lavished praise on Ishan Kishan and said he batted the way Mumbai Indians wanted him to bat.

    "But very happy with the win today; we gave everything, and I am sure it was entertaining for the fans too. [To the Mumbai fans] They have been the 12th man. They have always stood by us," said Rohit.

    "Little disappointed we couldn't go through. Ishan Kishan is a very talented player, just the right position to bat is crucial. He just batted the way we want Ishan to," he signed off.

    https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...762861167.html

  8. #167
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    10,221
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Kishan can get us off to fliers, he'll be such an upgrade over Dhawan.

  9. #168
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    162,508
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Amazing firepower at display from this guy vs England - India looking the part.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  10. #169
    Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    7,516
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Amazing firepower at display from this guy vs England - India looking the part.
    His bat speed is unreal. He did get 3 chances though.

  11. #170
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    15,211
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He's a bit of a cowlasher and not your archetypical classical Indian batsman, but the game has moved towards T20 cricket these days and the Indian team needs players like him in the shorter formats.

  12. #171
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    15,945
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is a bit like Afridi. On his day he can very destructive. He doesn't take singles after a 4 or 6. He will try go after another one which is an essential quality in T20.

  13. #172
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    18,752
    Mentioned
    766 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    He's a bit of a cowlasher and not your archetypical classical Indian batsman, but the game has moved towards T20 cricket these days and the Indian team needs players like him in the shorter formats.
    We needed these kinda batsmen at the 2019 CWC.


    'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

  14. #173
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    10,221
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    We needed these kinda batsmen at the 2019 CWC.
    Yeah, all we had were consolidators. Even 2 of these batsmen could have ensured the WC title for us.

    That and then playing with clearly over the hill Dhoni, a greenhorn Pant and never was Karthik.

    Who the hell plays 3 WKs in its XI in a WC SF?

  15. #174
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    18,752
    Mentioned
    766 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MP2011 View Post
    Yeah, all we had were consolidators. Even 2 of these batsmen could have ensured the WC title for us.

    That and then playing with clearly over the hill Dhoni, a greenhorn Pant and never was Karthik.

    Who the hell plays 3 WKs in its XI in a WC SF?
    Yeah. Pant should have been groomed from 2017 itself. Utter fiasco of a squad and we missed an extra fast bowlers well because we selected 3 spinners in england of all places


    'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

  16. #175
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    1,311
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MP2011 View Post
    That and then playing with clearly over the hill Dhoni, a greenhorn Pant and never was Karthik.

    Who the hell plays 3 WKs in its XI in a WC SF?
    So you would be against playing Rahul, Pant and Kishan in the same XI in this tournament?

  17. #176
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    19,440
    Mentioned
    842 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNAmarkFromIndia View Post
    So you would be against playing Rahul, Pant and Kishan in the same XI in this tournament?
    KL should play. Out of Kishan and Pant only 1 should play.

  18. #177
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    20,020
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rohit
    Rahul
    Kohli
    Pant(wkt)
    SKY/Kishan
    Pandya
    Jadeja
    Shardul/ Bhuvi
    R Chahar
    Varun C
    Bumrah

  19. #178
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    1,311
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    KL should play. Out of Kishan and Pant only 1 should play.
    Why?

  20. #179
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    4,065
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tbh all three are good to play.
    and Rahul good enough to be a pure batsman

  21. #180
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    10,221
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNAmarkFromIndia View Post
    So you would be against playing Rahul, Pant and Kishan in the same XI in this tournament?
    Problem with WC '19 squad was that these 3 are miles ahead of those 3, both individually as well as collectively. Also, don't think these 3 will play in same XI but you never know with Kohli.


  22. #181
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    10,221
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Yeah. Pant should have been groomed from 2017 itself.
    Yeah. That was Dhoni extending his cricket career at the expense of Indian team's welfare.

  23. #182
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    1,311
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MP2011 View Post
    Problem with WC '19 squad was that these 3 are miles ahead of those 3, both individually as well as collectively.
    Regardless, it's pretty silly to suggest that you shouldn't field 3 wicketkeepers in the same XI. It's not like all 3 will be standing side-by-side behind the stumps wearing gloves. They were picked as 3 regular batsmen. Whether you think that they weren't the 3 best batsmen that could've been picked is another matter altogether. But "Who the hell plays 3 WKs in its XI in a WC SF?" is such an illogical argument.

  24. #183
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    10,221
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNAmarkFromIndia View Post
    Regardless, it's pretty silly to suggest that you shouldn't field 3 wicketkeepers in the same XI. It's not like all 3 will be standing side-by-side behind the stumps wearing gloves. They were picked as 3 regular batsmen. Whether you think that they weren't the 3 best batsmen that could've been picked is another matter altogether. But "Who the hell plays 3 WKs in its XI in a WC SF?" is such an illogical argument.
    It isn't silly because this is something that has never been done before, no one plays 3 WKs in their XI, let alone in a WC SF. Have seen quite a few times when both Moin Khan and Rashid Lateef both played in the final XI for Pakistan but what we did that day was simply next level stuff!

    Besides, when you're playing 3 WKs in your XI, 2 non-WKs should've batting as their stronger suit which simply wasn't the case and hence it was totally illogical to play all 3 of them in the same XI. A specialist batsman, if picked, may have failed too but would've been a logical decision to make that day.

    Illogical was playing 3 WKs in a WC SF played on a tough pitch to bat on, all 3 of whom were no good. On a pitch like that, we should've beefed up our batting especially when we had to face Kiwi bowling on a pitch that was as per their liking. Instead, we played 3 duds who happened to be WKs too which only made us laughing stock that day.

    For you, maybe it was logical but for me that illogical decision probably cost us that WC as our batting lineup was simply pathetic for those conditions.

  25. #184
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    1,311
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MP2011 View Post
    It isn't silly because this is something that has never been done before, no one plays 3 WKs in their XI, let alone in a WC SF. Have seen quite a few times when both Moin Khan and Rashid Lateef both played in the final XI for Pakistan but what we did that day was simply next level stuff!
    You fail to explain what makes playing 3 wicketkeepers in your XI wrong. It's wrong because it hasn't been done before? Opening the bowling with a spinner in an ODI had never been done before until Martin Crowe did it with Dipak Patel in the 1992 World Cup. Having an opening batting pair who attacked the bowlers had never been done before until Jayasuriya and Kaluwitharana did it in 1996. Are they both wrong because it hasn't been done before?

    There's nothing wrong with playing 3 wicketkeepers if two of them can field well enough and they aren't taking the place of an all-rounder.

    Quote Originally Posted by MP2011 View Post
    A specialist batsman, if picked, may have failed too but would've been a logical decision to make that day.
    As if a "specialist batsman" only has to worry about his batting and not his fielding.

    Being a specialist batsman alone doesn't make one a great batsman. Being a wicketkeeper batsman doesn't make one an inferior batsman to a specialist batsman.

    Quote Originally Posted by MP2011 View Post
    Illogical was playing 3 WKs in a WC SF played on a tough pitch to bat on, all 3 of whom were no good. On a pitch like that, we should've beefed up our batting especially when we had to face Kiwi bowling on a pitch that was as per their liking.
    The only option in terms of a "specialist batsman" was Kedar Jadhav who was worse than all 3 wicketkeeper batsmen. So no, it wasn't illogical at all.

    What makes your argument all the more weaker is that the highest scorers in that match for India were Pant, Pandya, Dhoni and Jadeja. Two wicketkeepers and two all-rounders, while the two "specialist batsmen" in Rohit and Kohli both flopped.

    Quote Originally Posted by MP2011 View Post
    Instead, we played 3 duds who happened to be WKs too which only made us laughing stock that day.
    Like you said, they only "happened to be WKs too". There were bigger duds sitting on the bench so playing them would've been a worse decision. We were going to be a laughing stock anyway and that has nothing to do with playing 3 WKs.

  26. #185
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    4,065
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us get back to Ishan Kishan now. So should he be the one behind the stumps now?
    Last edited by OMB; 20th October 2021 at 10:28.

  27. #186
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    20,020
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    On a good batting wicket suited for 170+ scores, Ishan Kishan should be in the team.

    But on a relatively slower wicket like in Sharjah, we are better off not playing him as he can become a liability.

  28. #187
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    19,440
    Mentioned
    842 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNAmarkFromIndia View Post
    Regardless, it's pretty silly to suggest that you shouldn't field 3 wicketkeepers in the same XI. It's not like all 3 will be standing side-by-side behind the stumps wearing gloves. They were picked as 3 regular batsmen. Whether you think that they weren't the 3 best batsmen that could've been picked is another matter altogether. But "Who the hell plays 3 WKs in its XI in a WC SF?" is such an illogical argument.
    I would rather play a specialist or an all rounder instead of Pant/Kishan. It is pretty clear you do not put much effort into strategies and planning. Pant's strike rate is around 123 but has experience of 32 matches whereas Kishan's strike rate is 145 something after 3 matches so team management should decide between these two because playing them both is useless. You will understand this once the tournament starts.

  29. #188
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    1,311
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    I would rather play a specialist or an all rounder instead of Pant/Kishan.
    Like who?

  30. #189
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    10,221
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNAmarkFromIndia View Post
    You fail to explain what makes playing 3 wicketkeepers in your XI wrong. It's wrong because it hasn't been done before? Opening the bowling with a spinner in an ODI had never been done before until Martin Crowe did it with Dipak Patel in the 1992 World Cup. Having an opening batting pair who attacked the bowlers had never been done before until Jayasuriya and Kaluwitharana did it in 1996. Are they both wrong because it hasn't been done before?

    There's nothing wrong with playing 3 wicketkeepers if two of them can field well enough and they aren't taking the place of an all-rounder.


    As if a "specialist batsman" only has to worry about his batting and not his fielding.

    Being a specialist batsman alone doesn't make one a great batsman. Being a wicketkeeper batsman doesn't make one an inferior batsman to a specialist batsman.


    The only option in terms of a "specialist batsman" was Kedar Jadhav who was worse than all 3 wicketkeeper batsmen. So no, it wasn't illogical at all.

    What makes your argument all the more weaker is that the highest scorers in that match for India were Pant, Pandya, Dhoni and Jadeja. Two wicketkeepers and two all-rounders, while the two "specialist batsmen" in Rohit and Kohli both flopped.



    Like you said, they only "happened to be WKs too". There were bigger duds sitting on the bench so playing them would've been a worse decision. We were going to be a laughing stock anyway and that has nothing to do with playing 3 WKs.
    All I want to say is that just because Kohli & Rohit failed that day (all the more reason for us to have beefed up our batting for that day as that was a challenging pitch to bat), doesn't make the selection of the likes of Pant, Dhoni & Karthik any good. Ok, I get it that Dhoni couldn't have been dropped for obvious reasons.

    As for Jadhav, even though he himself is average, he was anyday a better bat than Karthik. As for Pant, well he hadn't done anything of note in LoIs till that day.

    Also, it was totally Kohli's fault to have picked up just 1 reserve bat (and that too Jadhav) for a WC which was being played in England. When the eventual champs England were overflowing with batting talent right till no.9, all we had were Kohli, Dhawan, and Rohit in our XI. You can't win a WC on the basis of just 3 batsmen.

  31. #190
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    1,311
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MP2011 View Post
    All I want to say is that just because Kohli & Rohit failed that day (all the more reason for us to have beefed up our batting for that day as that was a challenging pitch to bat), doesn't make the selection of the likes of Pant, Dhoni & Karthik any good.
    And just because they happen to be 3 wicketkeepers, doesn't mean choosing 3 wicketkeepers in the XI is wrong. All 3 were almost certainly not chosen in the XI because of their wicketkeeping, rather because of their batting. Like I said, you can say that they weren't the best batsmen either, but that's another matter altogether.

    Quote Originally Posted by MP2011 View Post
    As for Jadhav, even though he himself is average, he was anyday a better bat than Karthik.
    Arguable. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would've chosen Karthik over Jadhav. Jadhav doesn't have the power for a No. 6 batsman. He was miscast right from the start. Karthik probably got in the squad based on his Nidahas Trophy exploits and showed that he was a clutch player. Jadhav usually stayed hidden with a lot of quiet unbeaten innings but didn't often play that game-changing innings even when he had the chance.

    Quote Originally Posted by MP2011 View Post
    When the eventual champs England were overflowing with batting talent right till no.9, all we had were Kohli, Dhawan, and Rohit in our XI.
    That has to do with which players were backed all the way through to the World Cup. Yes, it was a mess. But if we're talking about the selection on the day of the World Cup semi-final, there was nothing wrong with it. It was a good XI based on the squad that was available to them.

    Quote Originally Posted by MP2011 View Post
    You can't win a WC on the basis of just 3 batsmen.
    This has been an issue since 2013. It's nothing new. We haven't developed a strong, stable middle order since Yuvraj, Dhoni, Raina.

  32. #191
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    1,577
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Looks Like QDK

  33. #192
    Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    7,516
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    There is something about him. I think he will go places, just needs to be backed and given a set role to play.

  34. #193
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    20,020
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Three keepers again in another knockout.

    Changing batting positions and same result.

    Not too hard to figure out what is wrong!

  35. #194
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    11,671
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He will be a good player in the near future I like him.

  36. #195
    Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad/Auckland
    Runs
    7,270
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very average so far in the WC. So much for IPL preparing these new cricketers for the big stage. On the other hand, average cricketers such as Daryl Mitchell from NZ have looked a million dollars. Looks like another IPL and bilateral bully.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •