Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"We are not going to England just to beat India but our prime target is to win the CT" : Inzamam

LAHORE: Cricket chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq has said Pakistan’s target is not only to defeat India but also to win the Champions Trophy.

He was talking with reporters as chief guest at the annual cricket match of the Muslim Gymkhana at the LCCA ground here on Wednesday.

Pakistan is set to face India in their first match of the Champions Trophy on June 4 in Birmingham, England.

“We are not going to England just to beat India but our prime target is to win the championship,” Inzamam said.

He added that Pakistan had defeated India under his captaincy in the 2004 edition of the Champions Trophy at the same Edgbaston ground by three wickets.

“We can win again,” he said.

The chief selector was of the view that his team would try hard to win every match of the tournament.

He added that the victory on the West Indies tour was morale boosting and all players were in high spirit to perform better in England, for which a training camp has been set up there.

Most of the players had reached England from the Caribbean for the event.

Inzamam said he used to play for Muslim Gymkhana when he was a student at the Government College University in Lahore.

Other cricketers produced by the Gymkhana who had represented Pakistan like Ahmed Shehzad, Kamran Akmal and Taufiq Umar were also present on the occasion.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1333754/pa...trophy-inzamam

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    With Azhar and shehzad as openers, we will barely manage over 40 in the first power play. Good luck winning the tournament with this team

Please allow me to introduce myself: I'm a man of wealth & taste.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    SMCHS, Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Of course we're gonna try to win every game we play at the CT, however it would've been massively easier had you selected a squad that was based on merit and some form of selection backed by performance rather than seniority and nepotism.

For a guy who's actually played modern LOI cricket up until 2007 Inzamam is either, the most naive chief selector we've had in the last 20 years or just heavily biased.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He selected a defensive squad since Sharjeel and Latif managed to ruin their careers. It's more having the comfort of experience rather than inexperience. Evidence can be shown of Shadab in 2nd test - inexperienced let to a bad performance.

With Shehzad and Azhar you lose firepower, but it's more safe taking them than half baked cookies who'll probably crumble under the pressure.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idrizzy View Post
    He selected a defensive squad since Sharjeel and Latif managed to ruin their careers. It's more having the comfort of experience rather than inexperience. Evidence can be shown of Shadab in 2nd test - inexperienced let to a bad performance.

With Shehzad and Azhar you lose firepower, but it's more safe taking them than half baked cookies who'll probably crumble under the pressure.
    I'd take a half baked cookie over an over cooked one

Please allow me to introduce myself: I'm a man of wealth & taste.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad that winning the trophy is our goal. I will take losing to India and winning the tournament right way, no problem's. My heart says we'll lose in the semi final's.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaqas92 View Post
    Of course we're gonna try to win every game we play at the CT, however it would've been massively easier had you selected a squad that was based on merit and some form of selection backed by performance rather than seniority and nepotism.

For a guy who's actually played modern LOI cricket up until 2007 Inzamam is either, the most naive chief selector we've had in the last 20 years or just heavily biased.
    Don't really know about the players you are talking about, but about Inzamam I would say he could be naive, but not biased.
    He is a thorough gentleman and an honest man.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    With Azhar and shehzad as openers, we will barely manage over 40 in the first power play. Good luck winning the tournament with this team
    What?! 40/0 after 10 overs would be an epic achievement for us.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The aim should be to get out of the group.
    After that we should play free, fearless not see where we finish

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    602 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rightarmfast View Post
    Don't really know about the players you are talking about, but about Inzamam I would say he could be naive, but not biased.
    He is a thorough gentleman and an honest man.
    Lol. You seriously think that after he selected Shan Masood?

At the end of a stressful, depressing day, a dose of cricket is what can cheer us up.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Did he say this with a straight face?

Pakistan is that kid who never studies for his exams but is surprised when he fails.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If pakistan win a game or get out of the group it will be a miracle. Pakistan are there to make up the numbers.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Only in Pakistan chairman, chief selector, current/emerging players talk too highly of themselves/ achievements. But the performance is as bad as zero.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    earth between north pole and south pole
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wanr that win only! Others won't matter much! Realistically victory against srilanka is possible!

Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    UK England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's unfair to be calling out Inzy, to be fair to him we are playing a WORLD Event with world class opposition, sending a fully inexperienced team to England where the weather, pitch and ball are different plus the pressure of a world event would be us shooting ourselves in the foot. Inzy has had to select the best of our current lot, and it's a difficult pill to swallow but our talent pool isn't as great as it used to be.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, we will win CT.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What utter nonsense.

Inzi you are fooling no one by selecting such a defensive squad.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd take a half baked cookie over an over cooked one
    It's true everyone handles pressure differently, but if senior players are shaking in their boots at the prospect of vs India, what confidence is that gonna give the young, inexperienced players? None.

Only players I think the moment won't get to them is Azhar, Hafeez (to an extent), Imad and Amir.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90MPH View Post
    What utter nonsense.

Inzi you are fooling no one by selecting such a defensive squad.
    I rather go with experience than someone thats new who would crumble under pressure. If you notice India is going with 45+ year olds like yuvi and Dhoni and not someone like samson, rishabh or pant. PCB and inzamam called this one right.

My gut tells me that we will demolish the Indian side this time..I dunno why im highly optimistic...

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snak3eye5 View Post
    I rather go with experience than someone thats new who would crumble under pressure. If you notice India is going with 45+ year olds like yuvi and Dhoni and not someone like samson, rishabh or pant. PCB and inzamam called this one right.

My gut tells me that we will demolish the Indian side this time..I dunno why im highly optimistic...
    Well I hope your gut is right because my brain is telling me something else.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They can still win if they use the team at its full potential rather than lining up with seniority and not using brains to work on opponents weakness. Pak basically are very poor when it comes two things 1) choosing the playing 11. 2) the batting order.

My 11 vs India and vs SRL

Umar akmal
    Fakhar zaman
    Babar
    Hafeez
    Malik
    Sarfraz
    Imad Wasim
    Amir
    Wahab
    Hasan
    Junaid

My 11 vs SA

Azhar ali
    Fakhar
    Babar Azam
    Hafeez
    Malik
    Sarfraz
    Imad
    Shadab
    Amir
    Hasan
    Junaid

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great ambition from Inzi. We should annihilate all teams at CT.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Might as well try Umar Akmal as an opener instead of them. If he gets out, then at least Babar is in early. Instead of at 29/1 after 9 overs if Azhar and Shehzad played.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snak3eye5 View Post
    If you notice India is going with 45+ year olds like yuvi and Dhoni and not someone like samson, rishabh or pant.
    Rishabh and Pant is the same person.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    832 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah Inzi with your selections the CT is ours to lose.

Thank you Inzi

Inzi is the best selector in the world

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Almere, Netherlands
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw the Champions Trophy of 2013 highlights of Pakistan vs India for the first time as I wasnt an cricket fan at that time.
    And God that was an AWFUL batting performance by Pakistan..
    I'm wondering how my fellow Pakistani's felt at the time. Did you guys thought about stopping watching Pakistan matches or tostop supporting Pakistan.

srs questions.
    Last edited by Amirforpresident; 18th May 2017 at 18:00.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big words from the revolutionary.He hasn't selected the squad to back up his words.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    832 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNAmarkFromIndia View Post
    Rishabh and Pant is the same person.
    That was funny

Inzi is the best selector in the world

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amirforpresident View Post
    Just saw the Champions Trophy of 2013 highlights of Pakistan vs India for the first time as I wasnt an cricket fan at that time.
    And God that was an AWFUL batting performance by Pakistan..
    I'm wondering how my fellow Pakistani's felt at the time. Did you guys thought about stopping watching Pakistan matches or tostop supporting Pakistan.

srs questions.
    The fact we never passed 200 once is what killed us. That's why I feel whatever happens we cannot be worse than 2013 CT, ever. Losing the first game against the weakest opposition - WI - created a snowball effect and if we can't beat WI, we can't beat SA or India. Bad mentality. Also that game vs India had no meaning for us - the fact we lost the first two games meant we were playing for pride but sadly no one in the team had any.

Still support Pak no matter what though. Bleed green n dat.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    781 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Good comments. As long as the media and fans doesn't attach unwarranted importance to the India game, the boys should be relaxed and I firmly believe that on our day, we can bowl India out for under 200.

Sarfaraz needs to ensure that Fakhar opens for us and one of Hafeez, Shehzad or Azhar partners him. Need a dynamic opener in order to get us off to a good start. Babar shouldn't be moved from #3 and we absolutely need to play four pacers against India.

1) Mohammad Hafeez
    2) Fakhar Zaman
    3) Babar Azam
    4) Sarfaraz Ahmed (c) (wk)
    5) Shoaib Malik
    6) Umar Akmal
    7) Imad Wasim
    8) Mohammad Amir
    9) Wahab Riaz
    10) Junaid Khan
    11) Hassan Ali

A good team on paper. As long as most of them are in form, we can go deep in this tournament.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Sep 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    13/1 odds of Pakistan winning the CT.

Inzi bhai put your money where your mouth is and bet some money on Pakistan winning. Maybe if our selectors had a DIRECT stake in the team's performance, they would plan their selection out over the longer period of time for big tournaments.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not expecting too much. Just want to see either they can score over 250 or not.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Our bowling will be lethal.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Track_Bully View Post
    Our bowling will be lethal.
    I reckon we've got got on of the best bowling line ups in the tournament Mashallah...

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can't be is he making mockery of our team or just acting dumb. If he is serious I highly doubt about his abilities to work as chief selector after playing more than a decade.
    Hopefully he will be forced to resign after miserable CT trophy performance along with his buddies

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3722 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Yes, sky is blue.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Yes, sky is blue.
    Do we have any chance to get a new selector after CT?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafi View Post
    Can't be is he making mockery of our team or just acting dumb. If he is serious I highly doubt about his abilities to work as chief selector after playing more than a decade.
    Hopefully he will be forced to resign after miserable CT trophy performance along with his buddies
    Was it Mickey or Inzi that has introduced some new names in ODIs, Tests, T20s? We gotta take the good with the bad aswell. Hasan Ali, Shadab, Raees, omission of Wahab in Tests, tried and tested past failures like Kamran (gone for good), mixing it up with players. I hope that we keep both for stability and Mickey has time to try and test with a better selection if players before WC2019

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3722 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafi View Post
    Do we have any chance to get a new selector after CT?
    Very unlikely. When it comes to finding scapegoats for defeats, the coach is the easy target, especially if he is a foreigner. I believe this management will continue till the 2019 World Cup, but if anyone is going to get sacked, it will be Mickey. Expect Mr. Chief Selector to continue with his dishonest policies and double-standards.