Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bashir takes all the wickets and this trundler gets called up. The Revolutionary clueless as ever.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1099 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    Bashir takes all the wickets and this trundler gets called up. The Revolutionary clueless as ever.
    It's been a problem of Pakistan cricket from the very start.

The idea that a player can be good in one format and terrible in the other is not made for them. Either you'll play both formats or neither.

Over the years we've seen so many players being dropped altogether for failing to perform in a format they aren't made for even though they were doing quality in the other format

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If shadab is replaced then I guess I will only be watching Babar azam bat when Pakistan is playing.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Horrible decision to replace Shadab with Abbas.

I'm sure @ExpressPacer agrees with me.
    I most definitely do. There will be no reason to watch CT if Shadab is dropped. Absolutely unfair even if you are to ignore Abbas is a pathetic bowler.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Please don't put Hawkeye's words in my mouth. I did not say that Azhar/Mickey 'hate' him. However, the possibility of him getting banished from all formats due to non-cricketing reasons cannot be ruled out completely, just because Azhar said so otherwise. Also, there was a rumored spat between him and Azhar which may/may not have any legs. Sohail obviously has fitness issues, but in spite of those problems, he has largely outperformed most pacers in spite of getting less opportunities to shine. As far him getting exposed in Australia and NZ, which bowler wasn't? From Amir to Yasir, every single bowler was a flat tyre.

Again, his exclusion could purely be down to cricketing/fitness reasons, but my point is that Azhar's words in this context don't have any significance. It won't be the first or the last time that a player in Pakistan has been ignored due to non-cricketing reasons. Hopefully, that is not the case here.
    What outperforming??? He averages 42 in tests and 32 in ODIs at 33 years of age.... Huffs and puffs in at 130 kph, 5ft 10 and gets slight outswing.... What exactly do people see in him that Mickey Arthur doesn't???

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Please don't put Hawkeye's words in my mouth. I did not say that Azhar/Mickey 'hate' him. However, the possibility of him getting banished from all formats due to non-cricketing reasons cannot be ruled out completely, just because Azhar said so otherwise. Also, there was a rumored spat between him and Azhar which may/may not have any legs. Sohail obviously has fitness issues, but in spite of those problems, he has largely outperformed most pacers in spite of getting less opportunities to shine. As far him getting exposed in Australia and NZ, which bowler wasn't? From Amir to Yasir, every single bowler was a flat tyre.

Again, his exclusion could purely be down to cricketing/fitness reasons, but my point is that Azhar's words in this context don't have any significance. It won't be the first or the last time that a player in Pakistan has been ignored due to non-cricketing reasons. Hopefully, that is not the case here.
    If 35 years old Irfan with even worse fitness and terrible fielding and batting could play then so could Sohail who is a wicket taker bowler ands very useful lower order hitter.

I have zero doubt in my mind that his exclusion is solely due to non cricketing reasons.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    779 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    It's not even an issue for me and I haven't even given any opinion but seriously how naive could you be?

Do you think he would accept the charge if it was true lol? Does this denial have any worth?
    @Slog please, because falling outs with players was the norm under Waqar who had zero man management skills doesn't mean its still happening now.

Note I didn't say Azhar was right or wrong, I simply wanted to present the other side of the story. Anyway let's deal with the subject.

Azhar knows more about bowling than you, @Mamoon or @Hawkeye combined - he's coached in English county cricket, and played in both county and league cricket and every report I've heard from players and staff about his conduct has been exemplary. There were no incidents at Surrey of anything like this.

The cricketing reasons (and most logical) for his exclusion are easy to find. Sohail's fitness issues and given he's 32 its hardly likely to improve. He struggles to last through a series playing back to back matches. His pace consistently hovers around 125-130kph which on slow, flat decks isn't going to be very threatening. Yes he was top wickettaker in PSL but Kamran Akmal and Ahmed Shehzad looked like the second coming of Greenidge and Haynes in that same tournament so that tells you about the quality of the PSL.

I think its really sad uninformed people here want to level such outrageous slurs against one of the few honest and sincere people working in Pakistan cricket. Again, where is the evidence Azhar has targeted Sohail for non-cricketing reasons ? The only two sources I can see for this are dnaindia and indianexpress.
    @Mamoon @Hawkeye You lot are even more naive to take those sources as gospel.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1099 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    @Slog please, because falling outs with players was the norm under Waqar who had zero man management skills doesn't mean its still happening now.

Note I didn't say Azhar was right or wrong, I simply wanted to present the other side of the story. Anyway let's deal with the subject.

Azhar knows more about bowling than you, @Mamoon or @Hawkeye combined - he's coached in English county cricket, and played in both county and league cricket and every report I've heard from players and staff about his conduct has been exemplary. There were no incidents at Surrey of anything like this.

The cricketing reasons (and most logical) for his exclusion are easy to find. Sohail's fitness issues and given he's 32 its hardly likely to improve. He struggles to last through a series playing back to back matches. His pace consistently hovers around 125-130kph which on slow, flat decks isn't going to be very threatening. Yes he was top wickettaker in PSL but Kamran Akmal and Ahmed Shehzad looked like the second coming of Greenidge and Haynes in that same tournament so that tells you about the quality of the PSL.

I think its really sad uninformed people here want to level such outrageous slurs against one of the few honest and sincere people working in Pakistan cricket. Again, where is the evidence Azhar has targeted Sohail for non-cricketing reasons ? The only two sources I can see for this are dnaindia and indianexpress.
    I dont care enough for the topic in hand (Sohail Khan) to argue but it is naive of you to take Azhar's word as gospel too

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1099 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Players Waqar fell out with are players who are still falling out with coaches (Akmal)

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    779 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Weak argument devoid of any evidence. Its happened before so it may have happened now

The only two sources for that story are dnaindia and indianexpress. No quotes in those articles or sources so not sure why you're taking masala journalism as gospel.

Read my reply to Slog. Azhar spent over a decade here in county and league cricket either playing or coaching and his conduct was never called into question so don't slur someone's character without foundation.

Coaches are entitled to drop a player if they feel they are not fit enough or don't fit into the long-term plans regardless of what they do in one match or series. Sohail at 32 is not going to gain any extra pace and whilst he's worked hard on fitness - you cannot have someone huffing and puffing in their second and third spells and struggling to get to the crease, especially on slow, flat ODI pitches that's to be expected in England.

So there are tons of cricketing reasons to drop Sohail, so it might be worth taking the tin foil hat off.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    779 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    I dont care enough for the topic in hand (Sohail Khan) to argue but it is naive of you to take Azhar's word as gospel too
    No I've just stated the numerous logical cricketing reasons why Sohail could've been dropped HENCE why I believe Azhar's statement that he did not drop him for non-cricket reasons - a story originating from two unreliable sources. Also knowing Azhar's past history I know that would be totally out of character.

Is that so hard for you to grasp or do I need to repeat it for you guys for the third time ?

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1099 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    No I've just stated the numerous logical cricketing reasons why Sohail could've been dropped HENCE why I believe Azhar's statement that he did not drop him for non-cricket reasons - a story originating from two unreliable sources. Also knowing Azhar's past history I know that would be totally out of character.

Is that so hard for you to grasp or do I need to repeat it for you guys for the third time ?
    I have no reason to have blind faith in Azhar Mahmood's integrity or honesty so I wont take his word at face value necessarily. Azhar has a conflict on interest in this debate and hence his words have little significance

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    779 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    I have no reason to have blind faith in Azhar Mahmood's integrity or honesty so I wont take his word at face value necessarily. Azhar has a conflict on interest in this debate and hence his words have little significance
    Who asked you to believe Azhar's words blindly ? My god you accuse me of twisting your arguments yet you do it here.

Why would there be non-cricketing reasons to drop an unfit 32 year old (maybe even older given Pak ages) whose average pace will make him more vulnerable on slow, flat English ODI tracks, who struggles in second/third spells and is injury prone ?

We also have younger options like Mohammad Amir and Hasan Ali, with the likes of Ahmed Bashir, Mohammad Irfan and Ghulam Mudassar also waiting in the wings.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1099 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Who asked you to believe Azhar's words blindly ? My god you accuse me of twisting your arguments yet you do it here.

Why would there be non-cricketing reasons to drop an unfit 32 year old (maybe even older given Pak ages) whose average pace will make him more vulnerable on slow, flat English ODI tracks, who struggles in second/third spells and is injury prone ?

We also have younger options like Mohammad Amir and Hasan Ali, with the likes of Ahmed Bashir, Mohammad Irfan and Ghulam Mudassar also waiting in the wings.
    Again I dont disagree with your opinion or even Sohail's dropping.

But you said the following: "I think its really sad uninformed people here want to level such outrageous slurs against one of the few honest and sincere people working in Pakistan cricket"
    AND
    "Azhar spent over a decade here in county and league cricket either playing or coaching and his conduct was never called into question so don't slur someone's character without foundation."
    You also referred to his denial of the story as if it was gospel and we should all believe.

I take exception to this line of thinking. Azhar is not someone I put a lot of trust in.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So has it been confirmed? Is Shadab being replaced with this mega trundler or what?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)

Sorry but this is the usual straw-man argument that is only pulled out when it is convenient, and is ignored when the shoe is on the other foot. For example, you are a vocal critic of Waqar's coaching methods, in spite of the fact that he knows more cricket than you, and has played international cricket and coached an international team. Yet, that does not stop you from pinpointing the mistakes he made as coach.

Azhar is a qualified coach and obviously knows more about bowling than anyone on this forum, but that does not make him immune to criticism and beyond any reproach. To claim that Azhar is a) knows better than others and b) has denied any issues with Sohail don't really mean anything at all in this context. Yes there are cricketing reasons for Sohail's exclusion, but he has been given a short end of the stick compared to the rest, who haven't set the world alight with both their performances and their fitness.

It is not as if Sohail is competing with bowlers like Starc or Anderson or Boult, our pace attack is deeply mediocre and Sohail has been one of the standout performers in the few chances that he has had. Again, I am not saying that there is a problem with Azhar/Mickey/any PCB official and Sohail, but considering how things work in Pakistan and the alleged rumors of the spat between him and Azhar (which you can completely brush aside as yellow journalism) and the way Arthur publicly criticized him in NZ, which was both refreshing and a bit over the top, suggests that there is a possibility that certain non-cricketing factors have reared their ugly heads as well.

Again, it is not an allegation; it is only a possibility that is being entertained based on the narrative that has played out so far. Your defense to this supposed allegation/accusation is that Azhar is a good person and he has denied these rumors of him falling out with Sohail, which as I mentioned earlier, does not mean anything.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoniInsafian View Post
    What outperforming??? He averages 42 in tests and 32 in ODIs at 33 years of age.... Huffs and puffs in at 130 kph, 5ft 10 and gets slight outswing.... What exactly do people see in him that Mickey Arthur doesn't???
    He was brought back two years ago for the World Cup, and he took a 5 wicket haul against India. Legends like Amir and Junaid are still waiting for their first 5-fer in ODIs and will probably never achieve one. He got injured, and was then brought back for the England Test series where he took consecutive 5-fers, and looked a cut above other pacers. Yes he was poor in Australia and NZ, but so was every other bowler.

Sohail is not a world class bowler and he does have fitness problems which is a considerable problem in the third and fourth innings, but he has done more than enough in the few chances that he has got to at least stay in contention. He bowls better with the new ball than any of our pacers and comfortably out-performed Amir in the PSL as well. Not to mention, he bats better than all our bowlers.

Considering all factors, I won't select him ahead of Amir and Hasan, but to ignore him for the rubbish Junaid - who has done nothing in the last three years except loses matches for his team, has the fitness of a malnourished teen and cannot hold a bat - is a completely unjustifiable decision on part of the team management.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    ? Why is Shadab being replaced?

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was brought back two years ago for the World Cup, and he took a 5 wicket haul against India. Legends like Amir and Junaid are still waiting for their first 5-fer in ODIs and will probably never achieve one. He got injured, and was then brought back for the England Test series where he took consecutive 5-fers, and looked a cut above other pacers. Yes he was poor in Australia and NZ, but so was every other bowler.

Sohail is not a world class bowler and he does have fitness problems which is a considerable problem in the third and fourth innings, but he has done more than enough in the few chances that he has got to at least stay in contention. He bowls better with the new ball than any of our pacers and comfortably out-performed Amir in the PSL as well. Not to mention, he bats better than all our bowlers.

Considering all factors, I won't select him ahead of Amir and Hasan, but to ignore him for the rubbish Junaid - who has done nothing in the last three years except loses matches for his team, has the fitness of a malnourished teen and cannot hold a bat - is a completely unjustifiable decision on part of the team management.
    By the same logic Wahab Riaz should be ahead of Sohail as he took a 5-fer against India in semi-final all those years ago

Sohail is rubbish, his test average and strike rate is even worse than Wahab Riaz and Junaid Khan..... If he took 5-fer in some matches then it just means he was RUBBISH in all others.... Ishant Sharma level bowler....

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoniInsafian View Post
    By the same logic Wahab Riaz should be ahead of Sohail as he took a 5-fer against India in semi-final all those years ago

Sohail is rubbish, his test average and strike rate is even worse than Wahab Riaz and Junaid Khan..... If he took 5-fer in some matches then it just means he was RUBBISH in all others.... Ishant Sharma level bowler....
    Wahab is already in the squad, and he is more deserving of selection than Junaid and it is debatable if he deserves to be ahead of Sohail or not. However, there is no justification for selecting Junaid over Sohail, who is not even Bangladesh level at the moment, let alone Ishant Sharma.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wahab is already in the squad, and he is more deserving of selection than Junaid and it is debatable if he deserves to be ahead of Sohail or not. However, there is no justification for selecting Junaid over Sohail, who is not even Bangladesh level at the moment, let alone Ishant Sharma.
    Rumman Raees should be selected for limited overs. His performance in Pakistan Cup was also good and has performed well in List A/T20 which should be your criteria for limited overs selection.

Also can bowl with brains and is effective at back end with Yorkers, variations.etc , No clue why Wahab gets a free ride or Junaid got the selection over him, Even in PSL his performance was good.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    779 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

This mentality is exactly why we're in the predicament we're in. We lower our standards to the point where if player Y is slightly less crap than crap player X, then player Y's exclusion is a cause for hue and cry and conspiracy theories when neither ultimately is good enough going forward.

Sohail or Junaid is not going to be the difference between whether we win the CT or get eliminated in the group stage (which is most likely).

Its the same reason why there was no point in WI fans crying about Blackwood's exclusion from the Test team. He averages 31 in Tests, his FC avg is also 31, therefore WI rightly opted to debut new batsmen as there's a chance they could average 40.

As for Sohail's performance in the PSL - it is a poor quality league. I'm sorry, I know its a national treasure, but when players like Ahmed Shehzad and Kamran Akmal look like Greenidge and Haynes reborn then it makes you wonder about the standards of the league.

Ideally none of Junaid, Wahab or Sohail should be in CT squad but our Chief Selector doesn't have an eye for bowling talent. As much as I respect him, as a captain he wasn't great at identifying bowlers which is why we saw the likes of Riaz Afridi debut.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    This mentality is exactly why we're in the predicament we're in. We lower our standards to the point where if player Y is slightly less crap than crap player X, then player Y's exclusion is a cause for hue and cry and conspiracy theories when neither ultimately is good enough going forward.

Sohail or Junaid is not going to be the difference between whether we win the CT or get eliminated in the group stage (which is most likely).

Its the same reason why there was no point in WI fans crying about Blackwood's exclusion from the Test team. He averages 31 in Tests, his FC avg is also 31, therefore WI rightly opted to debut new batsmen as there's a chance they could average 40.

As for Sohail's performance in the PSL - it is a poor quality league. I'm sorry, I know its a national treasure, but when players like Ahmed Shehzad and Kamran Akmal look like Greenidge and Haynes reborn then it makes you wonder about the standards of the league.

Ideally none of Junaid, Wahab or Sohail should be in CT squad but our Chief Selector doesn't have an eye for bowling talent. As much as I respect him, as a captain he wasn't great at identifying bowlers which is why we saw the likes of Riaz Afridi debut.
    This 'mentality' is a result of how things work and have worked in Pakistan historically. You obviously won't see people show such skepticism when it comes to professional boards like ECB, CA, BCCI etc. As for the rest of the post is concerned, I agree with you there is no possible playing XI in Pakistan at the moment - with/without Sohail Khan - that can win the Champions Trophy barring a miracle. However, that does not change the fact that selecting Junaid over Sohail was a terrible and unjustified call.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamza_ View Post
    Rumman Raees should be selected for limited overs. His performance in Pakistan Cup was also good and has performed well in List A/T20 which should be your criteria for limited overs selection.

Also can bowl with brains and is effective at back end with Yorkers, variations.etc , No clue why Wahab gets a free ride or Junaid got the selection over him, Even in PSL his performance was good.

Yes, he looks a decent option for Limited Overs and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Along with Sohail Khan, he too is one bowler who should be ahead of Junaid in the pecking order.

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ruman and shinwari should replace junaid and wahab.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, he looks a decent option for Limited Overs and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Along with Sohail Khan, he too is one bowler who should be ahead of Junaid in the pecking order.
    How do you rate Fahim Ashraf's selection?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamza_ View Post
    How do you rate Fahim Ashraf's selection?
    A pointless one, who would probably not get a game. Would have preferred someone like Yamin who could merit a place in the playing XI.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pointless one, who would probably not get a game. Would have preferred someone like Yamin who could merit a place in the playing XI.
    So basically Inzi has scored 0/10 as a selector. In my opinion previous selectors were much better, At least they were not absurd.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The argument that there is an argument is not in and of itself a particularly
    convincing argument. What is the substance in these objections you throw
    up?

That Sohail does not have the stamina to bowl 10 over in an ODI is something
    that we frankly have not much reason to fear. Where is the evidence for this?
    Why would he collapse in England while lasting an LOI in Pakistan? Does an
    over not comprise 6 balls in England?

If his pace would make him vulnerable in England, why does it not make him
    vulnerable in Pakistan, where he has been the been the best LOI bowler in
    domestics, alongside Sadaf, for five six years now? If an average of 32 in ODIs
    is bad, why are we picking Wahab? If ability to perform in big match situations
    is important, why do we ignore a guy who has taken a 5 fer against India in a WC?

There will always be arguments for and against any player. You need to weigh
    the case on all its merits.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'd probably be more convincing about his hue and cry business if you weren't making a hue and cry
    about it.

Since when was it controversial to select the best players for your national team?

If it does not matter who is selected because we are not going to win anyway, why play at all?

Is there not a point to performing as well as you can?

If the PSL flatters batsmen, like Shehzad, how can it also flatter bowlers? It is either easy to bat or easy
    to bowl but it can't be both.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    We can confirm that Mohammad Abbas has now returned to Pakistan.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow,what a waste of money and resources.Why'd they even fly him there?

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1039 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arham_PakFan View Post
    Wow,what a waste of money and resources.Why'd they even fly him there?
    The flights from Carribean to Pakistan are all directed through the UK anyway. The only extra money spent is for food and lodging while he was there.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hopefully he picked up some new tricks.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good, he isn't suitable for LOI cricket and should play Tests only.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    earth between north pole and south pole
    Runs
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good vacation for him he earned that vacation though after working hard in w.indies

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FGS guys. He was never going to be in the Champions Trophy squad. He was just practicing them to gain some experience in English conditions. Not that hard to understand. Now he has gone back to Pakistan after spending 1-2 weeks in England not that complicated lads