Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

"I feel like I have been the fall-guy for Pakistani selectors" : Fawad Alam

Fawad Alam's continued non-selection for Pakistan continues to baffle fans and media alike. Currently playing for Clitheroe in the Lancashire League in England, Alam, in a special interview, opened up about how he remains positive about his chances of a Pakistan comeback, the reasons behind him playing for Clitheroe, his admiration for Younis Khan and Misbah-ul-Haq and how he hopes the selectors will give him a proper chance for Pakistan.

By Saj Sadiq 20th May, 2017

You're playing in the Lancashire League for Clitheroe, what are your aims and hopes for this opportunity?

This league has a good standard of cricket and participating in it gives me an excellent chance to gain some experience in different conditions. It's an opportunity to learn at a time when there is very little cricket going on back home in Pakistan. It's also a chance to improve and mature and enhance yourself as a cricketer.

There are many people who felt you should have been part of the Pakistan Test squad that toured the West Indies...

I want to thank all my supporters and fans. I really appreciate their kind words and support for me. I appreciate their love and prayers and always have done so. I cannot really comment on why I was not selected and what the thoughts of the selectors are, but I am happy with my recent form and performances and perhaps it's not in my destiny to play for Pakistan. Let's see, all I can do is hope and stay positive.

Your statistics in domestic cricket are excellent. Do you think the selectors are ignoring those players who perform consistently in domestic cricket?

There are obviously some reasons why I am not being given another chance, despite performing consistently in domestic cricket. I guess this could simply be a case of 'liking' and 'disliking', but I cannot say for sure. In the past, when the selectors recalled me, I performed and then I was dropped again without any reason. You don't make players by continually picking them and then dropping them. You shatter the confidence of players if you keep ignoring their performances. If you perform for your country and do well and then get dropped, well that is just confusing and demoralising.

You mention likings and disliking, can you elaborate on this point?

I know what is going on and I would land in a lot of trouble if I spilled the beans. I know what is going on behind the scenes and if I tell the truth then there will be a huge storm and backlash so I guess it's best to keep quiet on this topic.

How do you cope with the continuous disappointments?

The fact is that a player can only develop if he is given chances on a consistent basis, not dropped, picked and then dropped again after a few matches. If you pick a player and give him a proper chance then that player will perform and repay the trust in him. You have to give players some leeway when it comes to performing well straight away when they are new to international cricket or when they are making a comeback. I just have to keep on making runs and performing in domestic cricket for SSGC and stay strong and positive and ensure that when I do get another chance for Pakistan, I am on solid ground and cannot be dropped. I've sort of got used to the disappointments now as they have been so regular. My family plays an important part as they help me remain positive and back me all the way. I just feel like I have been the fall-guy for the selectors, the man they drop as soon as something goes wrong or when there is one bad result.

You are 31 now, is time running out for that international recall?

I think if you stay fit then age is just a number. Look at the many Australian players who have made their international debuts at the age of 31. I take my levels of fitness very seriously and I believe that as long as you are fit and performing, you will always be in the eye of the selectors. I feel that whatever is written for me in the stars will happen eventually. Who knows, maybe I will get recalled for Pakistan at the age of 35 or even older, let's see how this plays but I will never give up.

Many feel that you struggle to play the big shots when needed. What's your response to that accusation?

Any player can power-hit when needed. You only have to look at my performances in domestic limited-overs tournaments where I have hit many sixes. You don't get any extra runs if the ball goes out of the stadium. If power-hitting is about hitting sixes, well I can hit sixes and have done so on many occasions. My theory is that you have to build an innings, you have to mix it up with singles and doubles and then hit sixes also. You have to mix it up, no player can hit sixes off every ball. I have faith in my ability and I don't really worry about those who say I cannot power-hit. I think some people just need an excuse to find faults in my batting.

Your thoughts on the careers of Misbah-ul-Haq and Younis Khan?

My words are not enough to praise these two legends. They served Pakistan cricket with pride and dignity. Misbah's achievements as Pakistan captain are historic. To take Pakistan to number one position in Tests was just incredible. Not only did he lead the team well but his own performances were exceptional.

Regarding Younis Khan, I dream of performing like he did for Pakistan. His career has been fantastic and what he has achieved is just incredible. The records he has broken are eye-opening and to score 10,000 Test runs is just amazing. He has performed brilliantly all around the world and he has been a role-model for so many of us. He was a hero to so many of us players and an inspiration to us.

The Pakistan team has relied on both of them for so long and when those two were in the Pakistan middle-order anything was possible and the opposition always knew that these two were the key wickets. The other batsmen played and improved around Misbah and Younis and Pakistan will badly miss both of them. Hopefully Pakistan will find good replacements for both of them very soon. I thank them both for their services to cricket and we will all miss them. I really enjoyed watching them bat and it was an honour to play alongside both of them. I learnt a lot from both of them, especially Younis. both men were always so positive, mentally tough and great fighters.

Two spots will now become available in the Pakistan middle-order following the retirements of Misbah and Younis. Can you fill one of those spots?

Look, spots have become available in the past as well but I was ignored so the omens don't look too good. I was ignored when spots were available in the One-Day team not so long ago as well as when spots became available in the Test side. I'm hopeful, but let's see as nothing is predictable.

Do you think your First-class average of over 56 is being ignored and taken for granted by the selectors?

I think my performances in First-class cricket are irrelevant when it comes to my selection. It seems to me that other players’ runs in domestic cricket are of a greater importance and more relevant to the selectors. Maybe my domestic runs are being scored in Bangladesh or Kenya or elsewhere and not in Pakistan, so that's why they are not important and are being totally ignored.

What do you feel the future holds for you, more frustration and agony or a turnaround in fortunes?

I have to stay positive as cricket is my profession and my honour. My well-wishers say that there has been injustice against me and that is an honour for them to say this. I have earned a lot of respect in my career and that is something that I will not throw away. My father has always taught me to earn respect and to respect the game of cricket. My father has always been a staunch supporter of me and I don't want to ever let him or my fans down. My uncle who also played cricket has been a huge help and a supporter as well. I would never dream of letting these people down and they are why I am still positive and have the hunger to perform well and play for my country. If I don't do well, or get dropped, my family is always very hurt, but that acts as a motivator for me to do even better and to make my family and fans happy. My philosophy is simple: to not worry about the critics, to just remain positive and patient and my chance will eventually come.

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/fawa...s-3460208.html
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 20th May 2017 at 14:19.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hope he is given a long run in tests before we discard him,,,,he richly deserves it...

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    In spite of the recent l campaign for his selection in light of the two notable retirements, he doesn't sound hopeful, which is understandable when you consider his situation. I am personally indifferent to his return to the Test team, but I think he is doing the right thing by keeping his expectations low.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Feel sorry for him!!!! Most likely he will never be selected.
    That's what happen when you don't have honest selectors.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hope he is selected in the next Test series we have.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad that he hints at favoritism ("liking and disliking") in the selection process. Seems like he is reconciled to being ignored as long as the present setup prevails.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think it's pretty obvious that the Pakistan national team is not picked on merit. How do you explain guys like Shan Masood, Wahab Riaz and Kamran Akmal getting into the team whenever they want while Fawad Alam gets ignored from the test squad? Even Ifti chacha had a go in test cricket.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 20th May 2017 at 20:18.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Dubai.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tariq Alam and Waheed Mirza, his father and uncle he mentioned about, are an asset to the cricketers growing up in Karachi. I have heard high praise for both from Rashid Latif and recently Younis Khan. Younis specially mentioned their name when speaking about his early introduction to club cricket in Pakistan. No wonder Fawad had stayed strong and scored runs under their mentor ship. I think Mansoor Akhtar too is related to Fawad Alam and so is Usman Afzaal who played for England. One may wonder this guy must have enough connections in the board to get a free ride on tours, but here we are, having the complete opposite for a guy who deserves it the most.

If anyone can put light to exactly why is he so out of favour. There must be some personal issue between him or his family members with a board official.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He really needs to start getting more vocal because time is running out. Junaid and Kamran whined constantly and both (somehow?!) ended up in the national team this year!

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another Misbah in the making

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should never have been dropped in 2009.

8 years too late for him now , personally i would select a younger player. Feel bad for him but we need players who can play for another 10 years.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Shakil Sheikh is the corrupt official responsible for this. It is really sad that this man has blocked the careers of deserving cricketers.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Never give up Fawad

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8 years wasted by the PCB since his first test back in 2009.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Sounds very salty esp Bangladesh and Kenya comment

#MPGA

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong but just the system.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Pakistan’s ignored middle-order batsman, Fawad Alam told during an interview that he knows the exact reasons why he is not selected and if he will speak about it, it will create a storm and get him into trouble.

“I know what is going on and I would land in a lot of trouble if I spilled the beans. I know what is going on behind the scenes and if I tell the truth then there will be a huge storm and backlash so I guess it’s best to keep quiet on this topic,” he said while talking to PakPassion.net

Alam believes that he is overlooked just on the grounds of personal liking and disliking. He further revealed that getting picked and then dropped for no reason from the team is confidence shattering.

“There are obviously some reasons why I am not being given another chance, despite performing consistently in domestic cricket. I guess this could simply be a case of ‘liking’ and ‘disliking’, but I cannot say for sure. In the past, when the selectors recalled me, I performed and then I was dropped again without any reason,” he told.

“You don’t make players by continually picking them and then dropping them. You shatter the confidence of players if you keep ignoring their performances. If you perform for your country and do well and then get dropped, well that is just confusing and demoralizing,” he went on to say.

On a question regarding coping up with all the disappointments, the 31-year old stated that he wants to stay positive and keep scoring, moreover he is used to such treatment from selectors now.

“I just have to keep on making runs and performing in domestic cricket for SSGC and stay strong and positive and ensure that when I do get another chance for Pakistan, I am on solid ground and cannot be dropped.

“I’ve sort of got used to the disappointments now as they have been so regular. My family plays an important part as they help me remain positive and back me all the way. I just feel like I have been the fall-guy for the selectors, the man they drop as soon as something goes wrong or when there is one bad result,” he shared.

As Misbah Ul Haq and Younis Khan retired from international cricket, Pakistan’s Test team is left with two huge gaps to fill. Alam, who has an average of over 56 in first class cricket, is hopeful to fill the big shoes in the team, however he is not much positive about it.

“Look, spots have become available in the past as well but I was ignored so the omens don’t look too good. I was ignored when spots were available in the One-Day team not so long ago as well as when spots became available in the Test side. I’m hopeful, but let’s see as nothing is predictable,” he said.

Fawad Alam feels honoured that cricket fans believe in him and call him a deserving player. He is determined to not let down his father, who was a first class cricketer himself and his fans.

“My well-wishers say that there has been injustice against me and that is an honour for them to say this. I have earned a lot of respect in my career and that is something that I will not throw away,” he said.

“My father has always taught me to earn respect and to respect the game of cricket. My father has always been a staunch supporter of me and I don’t want to ever let him or my fans down. My uncle who also played cricket has been a huge help and a supporter as well. I would never dream of letting these people down and they are why I am still positive and have the hunger to perform well and play for my country,” he concluded.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Dubai.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreePalestine View Post
    Shakil Sheikh is the corrupt official responsible for this. It is really sad that this man has blocked the careers of deserving cricketers.
    Can u plz explain how?

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He's a superior player to Haris Sohail and Malik (among current middleorder players). Politics and lack of rishwat going against him. Should be a vital peg in ODIs and Tests

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Dubai.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoniInsafian View Post
    Open secret in pakistan cricket: he was dating Shakil Sheikh's daughter.....
    Hahaha.. Don't tell me this is true.. If it is, Shakil Shiekh is an idiot holding a grudge for so long. Btw, this guy Shakil Sheikh has also been linked to Sadaf Hussain's omission. Who the heck he is to decide on player's future without holding any big post in PCB (enlighten me if he is). This guy is nowhere to be seen except in RWP cricket and here he is, holding deserving players back. His son Arsal Sheikh too is getting into junior teams without looking special. This guy is such a menace for Pakistan cricket.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel for this guy,he's been hard done by.He should be in our next test squad,along with Haris and Usman.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget about Fawad Alam. Kamran Akmal is the man Pakistan need in test matches - his qea cup stats demonstrate this.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Let's see what happens in the coming months regarding Fawad.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should be selected right away for tests at least. Otherwise I'd loose my hope for Pakistan Cricket.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fawad Alam exclusion?

First post on here
    Just curious why doesn't Fawad Alam get selected?! Heard about his comments on favouritism, anyone know anything about what goes on inside PCB? Shocking compared to how Umar 'bad shot' Akmal continously gets selected. Fawad also has the best domestic record. Hopefully he makes a comeback soon.
    Pray. Pray. Pray. (For Sunday).

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    449 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We are trying to get rid of batsmen like shehzad, azhar and Hafeez, who aren't dynamic, from ODIs and then there are people calling for Fawad's inclusion

Kuch to log kahenge
    Logon ka kaam hai kehna

Debut
    May 2005
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its bery sinple he cant hit a six, a 6 yr old girl has more chance of hitting a six than him. Apart from that veey good and reliable batsman

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't see anything wrong with it and doesn't look like Azhar and Hafeez will be dropped unfortunately 'we' can't do it.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Its bery sinple he cant hit a six, a 6 yr old girl has more chance of hitting a six than him. Apart from that veey good and reliable batsman
    Better scoring 60,70+ runs than getting out to couple of sixes

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan since the exit of Moyo and Inzi are still waiting to find languind fluid stroke makers whose bat makes sweet sound when it meets the ball. Either they are sloggers or tuk tuk specialists. Nobody is coming through in the classical mould. Babar Azam is the closest i have seen. He can be groomed to take up the mantle. They have to identiy proper stroke player who can score runs quickly with proper shots.

Debut
    May 2005
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah View Post
    Better scoring 60,70+ runs than getting out to couple of sixes
    Not always (remember tuk tuk shezad, misbah and they could hit sixes)

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    We are trying to get rid of batsmen like shehzad, azhar and Hafeez, who aren't dynamic, from ODIs and then there are people calling for Fawad's inclusion
    Don't see anything wrong with it and doesn't look like Azhar and Hafeez will be dropped unfortunately 'we' can't do it.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post
    Pakistan since the exit of Moyo and Inzi are still waiting to find languind fluid stroke makers whose bat makes sweet sound when it meets the ball. Either they are sloggers or tuk tuk specialists. Nobody is coming through in the classical mould. Babar Azam is the closest i have seen. He can be groomed to take up the mantle. They have to identiy proper stroke player who can score runs quickly with proper shots.
    Good point.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    and so it continues!

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Poor Fawad.

Even Inzi doesnt seem to rate him. Hope he scores a bucket of runs this season like he did in 2015 and before and makes a comeback

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Dublin
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A first class average of 56!? Wow! And he has looked the part every time he has played for Pakistan too. It's baffling he hasn't played 100 tests by now.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Test discard Fawad Alam continues to be ignored by the selectors despite having given brilliant performances with the bat in recent times. However, he remains confident that he would get back into the national team.
    The 32-year-old Fawad recently became the second fastest player to cross the mark of 10,000 runs in first-class cricket. He achieved the milestone during his 108-run knock while playing for SSGC against UBL in Quaid-e-Azam Trophy at Sialkot. It was his 211th innings of first class cricket.

He is behind Hanif Mohammad who reached the landmark in only 189 innings.
    Fawad was declared the fittest player alongside Younis Khan, Misbahul Haq and Shan Masood at a camp organised at Kakul last year. Nevertheless, he has been ignored continuously by the selectors.

Fawad while talking to ‘The News on Sunday’ said that he was working extra-ordinarily hard to stage a comeback. “A player is responsible for his performance. What can I do other than scoring runs heavily!” he said.

“I am performing with consistency and I hope the selectors have better plans for me,” he added.
    He said that he sometimes got disappointed. “It’s human nature. Sometimes we get disappointed because of the attitude we face, but we have to move on and look forward.

“Everything happens according to God’s will. My faith is strong. If I say I’m not disheartened I’d be lying to myself,” said Fawad, who made his Test debut in 2009.
    Fawad said that he is not against any player who is part of the national team. He said he was just focusing on his game and trying to attract the attention of the selectors.

He rejected the critics who say Imam-ul-Haq was called up because he was nephew of Inzamam-ul-Haq. “He is a good player and can play a big role in achieving targets,” he added.
    Fawad said that players have to shut the mouths of critics with their performances. “Imam has done that,” he added.

In reply to a question regarding the recent statement of Sarfraz in which the skipper talked about him and said “Allah ke yahan der hai andher nahi”, Fawad said that it was good to hear the captain saying that.
    He also added that he had played with Sarfraz a lot of times and always found him kind towards his teammates. “Sarfraz is very supportive,” he stated.

In reply to a question regarding Karachi Whites’ performance in National T20 Cup, Fawad said that winning and losing were part of the game.
    He added that the teams in the tournament included players from other regions as well. “Maybe that was the reason Karachi Whites could not do well,” he said.

When asked about Sarfraz’s captaincy, he said that he was a great leader, but even great players were not able to win matches every time.
    He said he was confident that his team (SSGC) would perform well in the super-eight phase of the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy. “I am focusing on my performance and hope to give my best,” he stated.
    About the PSL final in Karachi, he said that the efforts of the PCB should be praised as they were now preparing to conduct matches in cities other than Lahore as well.

Fawad said that PSL had revolutionised Pakistan cricket as it had attracted sensational talent from across the country. “PSL has given a new approach to the country in finding young talent,” he said.
    Source Link:http://tns.thenews.com.pk/determined-give/#.WiOGHlWWbIW
    Last edited by Sean143; 3rd December 2017 at 04:08.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Let’s take him to South Africa and then he can retire after that to coach the Karachi whites team

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whattay player.... 123* of 214 balls today in QeA super 8's......
    Haters will keep hating and this guy will keep scoring runs.

We will never surrender. We win or we die. And don't think it stops there. You will have the next generation to fight; and after the next, the next.

OMAR MUKHTAR

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy for him to get a century today. He hasn't been as consistent this season though so hopefully he has a strong finish if he wants to be considered for the England tour next year.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    900 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    71 off 73 for him today in a winning cause and he only hit 3 fours and 1 six. He must have rotated the strike well then!

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He rotated the strike well but wasn't the point made about him was that he didn't hit enough boundaries. Still a good knock

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like Alam has been working on his bowling too. Picked up 2-31 from 10 overs today

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today in semi final of Departmental OD Cup
    Fawad Alam c Mir Hamza b Sameen Gul 12 ( 19b 1X4 0X6) SR: 63.1

We will never surrender. We win or we die. And don't think it stops there. You will have the next generation to fight; and after the next, the next.

OMAR MUKHTAR

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Speaking on TV

"We used to break a lot of windows around the area we used to play when I was young"
    "I have been performing well in the 4-days as well as in the One-Day matches"
    "Have been doing well in Batting bowling & Fielding, and done well whenever I have been given the chance"
    "I am taking interest in bowling again and also asking management to give me more chances to bowl which is a good option to have for myself"
    "I am also working on fitness levels as that helps you perform better"

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fawwad Alam

I am sure we missed Fawwad Alam on the New Zealand tour. Its only in Pakistan that the most successful cricketer in domestic cricket has always been ignored for International games and players like Umar Amin are picked regularly despite repeated failures.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally regarding Umar Amin, I'm not sure how long he's been in NZ but it would be unfair just to blame him for the loss when he's work hard to try to establish himself as an option to open. The other top order performers should be to blame as well. As for Fawad Alam, I don't think he has a future in ODI cricket but definitely an option in Test.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have selected some right crap ahead of him..

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Feel for this guy . Maybe just maybe,something tells me he might be tried for the two tests in England.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was dropped by the Pakistan cricket board to bring in a well-connected Shoaib Malik in 2014, although Alam was a much better performing player. It wqas'nt his looss only. This benefited Shoaib Malik only for a little while but tarred his legacy and this NZ tour is an eye-opener of his limited game..This was bad for Pakistan team long-term losing a solid middle order option in thee odi and test series.

Unfortunately in Pakistan more than skillset and performances you need to have a good PR and connections, it is shameful but true.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    90 today off 128 balls for Alam, albeit in a losing cause.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    90 today off 128 balls for Alam, albeit in a losing cause.
    and losing it inside 35 overs .....

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he is required for test only or in emrgency in odi as stop gap

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are enough accumulators in the ODI team already...

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angeldsoul View Post
    he is required for test only or in emrgency in odi as stop gap
    Not needed in ODIs at all, I would have a newcomer with potential rather than these Azhar Ali stop gap types who would do nothing to advance our game in the long run. Needs to be given a go in Tests though along with Usman.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is a must for the test team. No room for him in the ODI or T20 team.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    There are enough accumulators in the ODI team already...
    I'm not sure we do. We wouldn't have got bowled out for low scores so many times with our top and middle order collapsing for a low run total consistently. We aren't plodding slowly to totals, we're loosing too many wickets up top, and forced to play out the innings because we lost too many early wickets.

What we need are better accumulators in the top four, guys that can score at an average of 50 not 35. Haris and Babar seem fine. Fakhar isn't an accumulator, so we already have someone at the top of the order to provide impetus.

One more good accumulator in the top four wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd rather have another batsman averaging 50 at SR 85, than an a guy averaging 30 at SR 100. More wickets in hand, more freedom to accelerate scoring. Sarfraz needs to jump up to 5, and more aggressive less consistent bats can be fitted in at 6 and 7.

Though I'm not sure Fawad's the answer, it might be too late. Someone like Saad Ali who's a bit younger and averages over 50 at a SR over 80 I think is a good person to try out though. Think he can perform a role to what Fawad could in the past (hopefully better). I do think Fawad was unnecessary discarded in the past though, sure he wasn't too quick, but he scored more consistently than the rest despite constantly shuffled around, scored where others failed (England and Australia) and with a longer rope may have improved over time.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    149 from 130 balls today in the final, helping Karachi Whites to an incredible win. Would have been even better if he stayed till the end, got a not out and was there when they won it, but he got out with 1 over to go. Still an amazing knock. Don't think it will result in a Pakistan call up though.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whattay knock

OMAR MUKHTAR

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant Innings, this guy keeps his mouth shut and keep scoring runs. Others just run their mouth and keep getting selected. Fawad should have been there in last WC.... but wait how could he be included he can't play big shots... yet he made a match winning 149 with SR of above 110.

His knowledge of the game is also great, heard him on a tv program and he seems to know what he is doing when he bats.
    "Strike Rotation" which is not known in pakistani camp that's what he emphasized on. I wish he makes a comback in either ODI or test or t20. I am sure he ll do 10 times better than the current lot of hacks.
    Last edited by UN talkz; 11th February 2018 at 13:35.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 11th February 2018 at 14:01.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    East Coast, US.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have an idea if there be highlights of Fawad's knock on youtube?

Hope he gets a go now.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing who our selector is, he will probably be chosen for the T20 squad.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    900 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefthanded View Post
    Does anyone have an idea if there be highlights of Fawad's knock on youtube?

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    I like Fawad, but all I saw in this innings was feasting on spinners, trundlers, edged boundaries, hoicks across the line.

This is why I hope selectors don't get convinced by these scorecards and select Fawad, Shan, etc.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    900 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    Brilliant Innings, this guy keeps his mouth shut and keep scoring runs. Others just run their mouth and keep getting selected. Fawad should have been there in last WC.... but wait how could he be included he can't play big shots... yet he made a match winning 149 with SR of above 110.

His knowledge of the game is also great, heard him on a tv program and he seems to know what he is doing when he bats.
    "Strike Rotation" which is not known in pakistani camp that's what he emphasized on. I wish he makes a comback in either ODI or test or t20. I am sure he ll do 10 times better than the current lot of hacks.
    This is why he needs to start running his mouth. I'm desperate to see him in a Pakistan test shirt again before he gets too old, i don't even care if he fails i just want to see some fair justice done to this guy.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think it's time for a recall atleast in tests for fawad...

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post

I made a thread on it years back. Fawad tends to score at decent SR (in ODIs) if he gets a big score. Even in international cricket. He's not so much like Azhar, Shehzad, Asad who tend to make big scores without accelerating the strike rate.

Quite a few of the lower scores he got in addition were him gutting it out when the order collapsed. He is a slower starter, and he does lack the power game, but I think his inability to play the modern game in ODIs is exaggerated a bit.

Fawad was a decent accumulator who outperformed his peers and should not have been dropped (dropped unfairly twice in ODIs). Given more games, feel his strike rate would have improved further, we already saw signs in his second comeback, he scored at a higher average and higher strike rate than before. Yet 2 or so failures kicked out again.

Now it's tough given he faces competition from guys like Babar and Haris, and then younger guys in domestic. Which he didn't before. Still I wouldn't mind him batting in the side.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its sad to see that we are not supporting players who may benefit us in long term. Yes I agree fawad may not get chance because now the talk will be he is getting old. Its just extremely sad situation about our system.

Before the 2015 WC he did well in domestic and I was hoping he ll get a chance. But many experts said ooo WC is on bouncy pitches we need guys who can play big shots, again we ignored the most important part of the game "strike rotation". Why not give chance to guys who understand the game, failure is always with the player but one needs to look if player is making runs or not. We gave so many chances to UA based on his "talent" when did he won us a game? bottled the game every time he went on to bat. Sad that our so called management not able to see that.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistani selectors usually reward the top performing List A players with selection in Test team, and Odi selection for the players performing in First class.

So maybe this time around Fawad can be a part of the test team after performing in List A.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDoritos View Post
    Pakistani selectors usually reward the top performing List A players with selection in Test team, and Odi selection for the players performing in First class.

So maybe this time around Fawad can be a part of the test team after performing in List A.
    Usually those who do well in ODI cricket have done well in list A and first class. Think it's important to have a decent record in list A for call ups for ODIs, shows you have a decent enough ability against tougher conditions, and technique that will hold up better at international standard. I'm usually more willing to give a chance to those dominating in all formats in domestic cricket than just one.

Which is why I think Saad Ali especially deserves a chance now.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the change in the ODI game is what's causing a problem for his comeback. Now teams want players that are either hitters or aggressive stroke players. It's a shame really because at the time when Fawad was successful and could have had a lengthy period of play in the ODI team he was dropped. Even at that time he was batting better than Misbah.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He should be playing Tests from now on. It's really sad that he never got a run in tests

Still I beleive we need him in tests

Umar Akmal, Sohaib Maqsood [Mindless Sloggers]

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deserves a recall! Pressure of a final and to perform like that is amazing!

If had a choice would prefer him to be picked for test matches.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can be called up to odi squad but we really need him in tests, he has the highest stake rate in first class cricket of any current Pakistan batsmen and even better than almost Evey single Pak great including younis Khan, inzimam, mianfad, yousaf

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    I like Fawad, but all I saw in this innings was feasting on spinners, trundlers, edged boundaries, hoicks across the line.

This is why I hope selectors don't get convinced by these scorecards and select Fawad, Shan, etc.
    Spinners and trundlers like Boult and Santner, who destroyed us in NZ, or Lakmal and Herath, who mauled us in the UAE? Yes thank God we never had a Fawad on hand for that.

Why if it is was so easy to feast on these bowlers was Fawad and Babar, who averages 50 in international ODI cricket, the only ones capable of doing so?

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I understand these players are frustrated but does it actually help to openly criticise PCB and selection policies when you are still an active player? He also mentions some sort of conspiracy as well regarding his selection. I sometimes feel that these players dig their own grave with such comments.

I know in the past players like Younis Khan have done that to get selected in the ODI format but again he was a top test player for Pakistan during that time.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giri26 View Post
    I understand these players are frustrated but does it actually help to openly criticise PCB and selection policies when you are still an active player? He also mentions some sort of conspiracy as well regarding his selection. I sometimes feel that these players dig their own grave with such comments.

I know in the past players like Younis Khan have done that to get selected in the ODI format but again he was a top test player for Pakistan during that time.
    I guess but Fawad doesn't have much choice. He could go back and work on why he isn't been selected, improve his strike rate and power hitting. Think he's actually done that to an extent, he's not exactly a slow scorer in domestic despite people presuming him to be. Even in his second comeback to the international team he looked more proactive and did start hitting at a slightly better SR. The problem is I don't think Fawad can ever completely change his technique, it's so set in stone now. And isn't really a power hitting player. There was a period where Fawad did try and put on muscle, probably to fix that a bit. So really seems to be doing the best he can for selection. And we all know Fawad's fielding is excellent, and bowling can be handy too. So nothing more he can do than talk a bit in the media, it's got to the point him performing in domestic doesn't matter. He's overlooked to things which he can't really change.

Sadaf dominates domestic each year, and arguably has less competition to the team, we don't even really have one settled test pacer. There's probably things he could do rather than Fawad however, he could probably bulk up and improve his speed a bit, get a bit better with the bat. Maybe work on his fielding a bit too. Not that he'll necessarily doesn't deserve a spot already, he probably does, but at least there's something he can work on/push towards. Fawad on the other hand is sort of stuck.