Instagram

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: 1992, 2009, or 2017? Which was Pakistan's greatest victory in an ICC tournament?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1992 World Cup

56 59.57%
  • 2009 WT20

2 2.13%
  • 2017 Champions Trophy

36 38.30%
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Cairo, Egypt
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1992, 2009, or 2017? Which was Pakistan's greatest victory in an ICC tournament?

Today was one of the more memorable days in Pakistan Cricket, as we lifted our third LOI title.

Where does our maiden Champions Trophy triumph rank amongst Pakistan's most cherished moments as a cricketing nation, i.e. WC 92, WT20 09, CT 17?

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Instagram!

Please also follow PakPassion Sport!

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't really top the 92 World Cup but this isn't far from it... not only did we win the champions trophy, we did it defying the odds and all the obstacles which are in the way of Pakistan cricket. We definitely saw a new Pakistan and the cornered tigers came our roaring! Champions trophy - won
    Mental block against India - overcome
    #pakistanchampions

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2017 Champions Trophy is first for me, I'll remember this for life..

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    706 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    1992 easily.

A better poll would have been between 2009 and 2017.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the first one (1992) is usually the most important but this one (2017) is the greatest considering Pakistan was ranked worst team in the tournament and was humiliated in the first game

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    1992. Arguably best win in team sports history. One of the best ever.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't alive during 1992.

Wasn't jazbati enough during 2009.

But this is the best moment of my life, today. CT 2017 all the way.

I no longer have to look at 2009 videos to console myself anymore after losses.

We are the freaking champions babbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

"Sarfraz is like oxygen for this team" - Misbah-ul-Haq

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion 2017 was the best. When the tournament started no one expected us to be in semi final let alone win the champions trophy. Even some experts were treating us as minnows. I don't blame them though, most of us were not expecting Pakistan to win. Pakistan peaked during the right time and proved everyone wrong.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    2017 because we were down and out . team going no where . we had no big names before the tournament now some of them are grabbed all the lime light
    we beat 3 favourite sides to lift the trophy .
    if you compare 2009 that was a t20 tournament we just had 2 knockout games
    here we have played 4 knockout games and aboslutely put opposition on floor

New Era of Team Pakistan

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    An inswinging Yorker.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    '92 was a world cup so can't compare it to that.

'17 trump the T20 tournament for sure though

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    996 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    In my lifetime this

Otherwise 92

ODI is an inherently superior format to t20s so an ICC trophy in that is better than any ICC trophy in t20s

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Champions trophy is like nothing has happened, nothing has changed...2009 world cup was a long terrifying journey that finally concluded with a win.

the asia cup win against Bangladesh still had a lot of feeling in it.

Don't know why but this is the very honest feeling I'm having.

If life on earth is temporary...what make you think that your problems are permanent?

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    North side of Londonnn
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I've never seen the 1992 or 2009 game but obviously this 2017 game will remain my favourite game till now.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1992, 2017 and 2009.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2009 T20 WC was the first tournament I had ever watched(apart from the WT20 2007 final).It sparked my interest in cricket so will always remain close to my heart,but this Champions Trophy win was amazing and truly remarkable in the way we achieved it.

A fairytale win really,barely making it to the tournament,lowest ranked side in the competition,a crushing defeat against India in the first match.And now,rightful Champions.

Hala Madrid y nada más

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In terms of stature: 92

In terms of importance to country: 09 - came at a time when national morale was at a real depressing low

2017 is the most unexpected though by far

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    Montreal
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all where special but 2009 was the special one for me, got into cricket in 2007, seeing pakistan lose in the first round of the odi world cup, and than the final in t20 2007 against india made me very sad inside and felt all would be forgiven if they win thie 2009 world t20, it felt like destiny the way the team got it going, was remarkable, and seeing how Afridi played during that tournament was amazing.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think as a cricket team this has been our most clinical performance in an ICC tournament. Post India game we have been right on the money. We had a minor hiccup against Srilanka but all in all 92 and 2009 were not as convincing wins. The manner we played the semis and finals was unbelievable.

"Nations are born in the hearts of poets, they prosper and die in the hands of politicians."-Iqbal

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    I think this Champions Trophy is the biggest surprise and probably the weakest team on paper?

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whoever voted for other than 1992 world cup win, I would call them just a part timers cricket watching fans. I don't think so they have any knowledge of cricket. 99% of them may not know the difference between yorker and half volley.

IamHalfBelongToAnationWhere35PunchersAreRewarded. ThanksToDad'sEffortsnWisdom ForOtherHalfFromNoreg.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 1992 we had a very strong side, and won by very tight margins, and rain helped us...

But in 2017, our side was weak on paper, but we absolutely demolished opposition and killed the critics/indians to death...

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khwaja View Post
    In 1992 we had a very strong side, and won by very tight margins, and rain helped us...

But in 2017, our side was weak on paper, but we absolutely demolished opposition and killed the critics/indians to death...
    How did rain helped us in 1992? I am really sick of this nonsense from many immature fans?

How many points rain had given you? One right?

Do you know how many point did we lost because of rain??????? If you don't know, I am here to tell you that we lost two very easy points because of rain. There was a black rule in that world cup, which hurt Pakistan against SA in league match.

The score SA made in 50 overs, the pretty much the same score we had to make in 36 overs, they reduced our 14 overs for only a couple of runs.

That match was going One sided in Pakistan's favor, we could have won by 7 wickets and 50 balls remaining.

When rain started during Paksitan's innings they came back with new target that was crap... they reduced 14 overs for pretty same target.

After world cup, they changed that crap rule.

IamHalfBelongToAnationWhere35PunchersAreRewarded. ThanksToDad'sEffortsnWisdom ForOtherHalfFromNoreg.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MajidBhuta-AamirFan View Post
    How did rain helped us in 1992? I am really sick of this nonsense from many immature fans?

Do you know how many point did we lost because of rain??????? If you don't know, I am here to tell you that we lost two very easy points because of rain. There was a black rule in that world cup, which hurt Pakistan against SA in league match.

The score SA made in 50 overs, the pretty much the same score we had to make in 36 overs, they reduced our 14 overs for only a couple of runs.

That match was going One sided in Pakistan's favor, we could have won by 7 wickets and 50 balls remaining.

When rain started during Paksitan's innings they came back with new target that was crap... they reduced 14 overs for pretty same target.

when we were dismissed to 72 by England but that match was abandoned.. we both 1 point.. So rain gave us 1 point for a game we're going to lose.. anyways we barely made it to knockouts.. let that sink in

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    92 World Cup will always remain the greatest as it is the first World Cup win but 2017 CT will go up there in history as a major win in our cricketing history. Against the odds we won it. '09 T20 was also very good but a classic ODI ICC tournament win will always beat a T20.

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khwaja View Post
    when we were dismissed to 72 by England but that match was abandoned.. we both 1 point.. So rain gave us 1 point for a game we're going to lose.. anyways we barely made it to knockouts.. let that sink in
    Looks like you don't have any clue about cricket, If you were good in watching cricket, you would have brought Pakistan vs SA match into rain discussion.. Pakistan lost two points because rain, that match Pakistan would have won easily. Pakistan lost because of rain. They reduced Paksitan's 14 overs, and the revised target was pretty same.

SA made only 211 in 50 overs, and Pakistan was going win this match very easily when rain started in the middle of Pakistan's innings, so they they Pakistan 14 overs for pretty much same target. When they reduced Pakistan's 14 overs, then the run rate jumped to sky high, so Pakistan had to play very fast and lost their wickets.. Otherwise that match was just one sided match..

According to today's DL rules, Pakitan should be consider a winner and a target would have been set 162.

"When Pakistan was 74/2 after 21.3 overs, rain halted the play for an hour and the target was revised to 194 in 36 overs. (a Duckworth/Lewis calculation under the rules in 2006 would have set a target of 162)"

Here is the cricinfo link for that match, read the last tow lines of the page. Every Pakistani fan should read the last two lines of this page, hope after that they will stop crap of rain against England's match.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engin...tch/65139.html

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many points Pakistan gain because of rain, just one from England, right?

How many points Pakistan lost because of rain in the same world cup? two from SA.

"When Pakistan was 74/2 after 21.3 overs, rain halted the play for an hour and the target was revised to 194 in 36 overs. (a Duckworth/Lewis calculation under the rules in 2006 would have set a target of 162).

Pakistan was winnings that match so easily while rain destroyed the one sided winning show to Lost.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1-1992
    2-2017
    3-2009

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you don't have any clue about cricket, If you were good in watching cricket, you would have brought Pakistan vs SA match into rain discussion.. Pakistan lost two points because rain, that match Pakistan would have won easily. Pakistan lost because of rain. They reduced Paksitan's 14 overs, and the revised target was pretty same.

SA made only 211 in 50 overs, and Pakistan was going win this match very easily when rain started in the middle of Pakistan's innings, so they they Pakistan 14 overs for pretty much same target. When they reduced Pakistan's 14 overs, then the run rate jumped to sky high, so Pakistan had to play very fast and lost their wickets.. Otherwise that match was just one sided match..

According to today's DL rules, Pakitan should be consider a winner and a target would have been set 162.

"When Pakistan was 74/2 after 21.3 overs, rain halted the play for an hour and the target was revised to 194 in 36 overs. (a Duckworth/Lewis calculation under the rules in 2006 would have set a target of 162)"

Here is the cricinfo link for that match, read the last tow lines of the page. Every Pakistani fan should read the last two lines of this page, hope after that they will stop crap of rain against England's match.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engin...tch/65139.html
    u spoke my heart....

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    92>17>09

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    San Antonio, TX
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was way too small to remember 1992 but compared to 2009 - our CT victory feels better.

However, the 2009 World T20 was won at a time when Pakistan cricket was in free fall (even worse than it is now) due to terrorism, isolation, oath-taking etc. so it came at a time when we REALLY needed it.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more point is that NZ was unbeaten and fav in that tournament until Pakistan defeated them twice in a row group match and knockout.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    1992 was fluke. Lost to every damn team participating in the event.

2009 we peaked at the right time but the teams we beat were easy and it was T20.

2017 Defeated two best ODI teams in semi-final and final to win it. Team was ranked 8th and had to qualify for the event. Final win was against India so it becomes a really big thing especially after the horrible performances against them in ICC events.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2017 for a number of reasons.

Of course 92 is the World Cup but for the level of cricket, quality of opposition, strength (weakness) of our own team, the rivalry, the vs India record/hoodoo, the brutality of the defeats inflicted v England/India, this one is by far an away a greater achievement.

The CT might not be as prestigious but it's no cake-walk given that it's contested by 8 teams, the top 8 teams of the time i.e no invitational minnows to bump up numbers.

2017, following our international exile, terrorism, IPL snubs, politics amongst other issues is a far greater achievement for Pakistan cricket than the other 2, personally.
    Last edited by Sunzi; 20th June 2017 at 06:46.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Fairfax, VA, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad10 View Post
    Today was one of the more memorable days in Pakistan Cricket, as we lifted our third LOI title.

Where does our maiden Champions Trophy triumph rank amongst Pakistan's most cherished moments as a cricketing nation, i.e. WC 92, WT20 09, CT 17?
    Millennials will obviously select 2017. As they did not see much of Wasim, Saaed, Waqar, Baasit days.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2017 was much better than 1992..... don't be jealous

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsjsj View Post
    Millennials will obviously select 2017. As they did not see much of Wasim, Saaed, Waqar, Baasit days.
    I saw them all and a lot of them too.

2017 makes up for so much (Bangalore, Mohali etc.)

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2017 because first pakistan never reached he finals let alone won the title before and secondly pakistan won after 20 years of inauguration, pakistan was direly missing out CT title since long time

thirdly, 1992 world cup was won shortly after pakistan were finalists in 1985 and then again had a good chance to win another WC in 1999, CT17 was the only occasion pakistan had opportunity to win the title

fourthly it was not india but england, pakistan has always lost to india in the world cup

fifthly, pakistan still had miandad, imran and wasim, waqar, this time there wasnt any superstar to begin with, the team was ranked 8th and barely qualified for the champions trophy itself

sixthly, cricket was going very down hill in pak, this trophy will reinvegurate cricketing passion in the country
    Last edited by Macho Mann; 20th June 2017 at 07:17.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2017 trumps them all for me. We barely made it to the tournament and came in ranked at number 8. After the first loss to India, not even a die hard Pakistani fan could have imagined Pak making the semifinal let alone going to the final and winning it. In the semi final, we gave an epic trashing to England, the tournament favourites and a team that gave us a royal whooping in ODIs about this time last year.

Lastly, the final itself, defeating arch rival India not only required us to defeat a far superior side on paper but also it required the team to overcome the mental scars from facing India in ICC events, including the 2007 World T20 final. At the end, the team didn't just defeat India, they destroyed them. Bowling out the number one batting lineup for just 158 runs to record a 180 run victory, could not have gotten any better than that.

The 92 and 09 tournaments were significant for Pak cricket, but as a pak fan you could not have dreamed of a more fairytale tournament than the one we just witnessed in 2017.