Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry Azhar Ali, I salute you for your efforts for Pakistan!

Might seem like an emotional thread, but I salute this man. Opened a thread for him after that 4th June loss and was absolutely scathing in my criticism. But Azhar Ali, you are a champion. You played like a champion. You set the tone at the top of the order. When Fakhar was nervous and struggling, you took control and guided him through a difficult period. You just looked a million dollars out there. You deserved more runs today. You really did. Even in the semi-final, you were outstanding. I don't care if you score a series of ducks till you retire after this, you are a champion cricketer and we are all proud to have someone like you representing our country.

I will gladly eat 59 humble pies today if I can atone for all what I've said against you in the past few weeks. You have earned the respect of millions of fans today. Salute Azhar Ali, you are a champion.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry too. Lots of humble pie being eaten after today.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa.Glad I can say I believed in him.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    An inswinging Yorker.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    See I am not a huge Azhar or Hafeez fan but I mentioned this in a previous thread that we don't understand the value of experience as fans quite often. We are always looking for the next shiny new toy but experienced players are very important to the team. Both of them did very well today.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Will go down as one of Pakistans greats. Plenty of humble pie will be served.

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Class is permanent.

A top batsman and a classy guy.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just wish he had a bit more ability because he has everything else.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can't believe that Azhar scored 50+ and Pakistan scored 330+.

Thank you Azhar and sorry for criticizing you.

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He still needs to work on Strike Rotation and try to get more fit...

Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our fans are so fickle. Stay grounded. He is needed in the top order based on our combustible nature, but let's not one win change the fact his ODI batting could use some tweaking. We can only afford one of him, Shehzad and hafeez in the team if they bat at their current strike rates.

So I would say job well done but hope you continue to improve in ODIs.

In tests, without a doubt he is our numero uno!

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Needs to work on his skip catching though

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know why he gets so much hate here! Even Hasan Ali was much underrated here.

Quote Originally Posted by badsha001 View Post
    He still needs to work on Strike Rotation and try to get more fit...
    This, he need to learn this for tricky situations.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well he is in form in Test Cricket but he has played really well in the tournament. He did his job, supported fakhar and allowed fakhar to play his natural game. He needs to work on his fielding though

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is a fighter. But be shouldn't have to fight it out every time he comes to play in the ODis..

He is at the wrong place, no doubt about that.

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Venue
    MCG - Mera Chota Ghar, SE England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Give credit where its due, he has definitely tried to be more positive in his strokeplay and run the singles. Still struggles to beat the inner field quite often but can't be faulted for effort.

Frank Skinner: Pakistan looked better than this when they were trying to lose.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Knew Azhar would come through. Can't keep a good man down. The only issue is Pakistani middle order lacks dynamic batsmen, however I don't mind if they keep hafeez batting in the 5-6 position, we all saw what he can do and he can be the finisher Pakistan is looking for.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kudos to him for stepping out of his comfort zone.

Played for the team, not for his average.

Hum na hon hamare baad, Sarfraz Sarfraz

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Why? Still it doesn't tell he is an ODI player. It's not about one innings, rather the type of player - VVS Laxman once hit 3 hundreds in 2002-03 WSC, just before 2003 WC, still he was dropped from WC squad, because his game wasn't suited for ODI. Azhar played decent & unfortunate to miss a possible hundred, but still he doesn't make the ODI team.

He played decent in this tournament - but not necessarily he should be the automatic choice in ODI. No disrespect or denial of his performance, but he is a limited player who shouldn't play LO. I put it this way - if Sharjeel is cleared today - which 2 players PAK should play as LO openers?

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Azhar Ali is gentleman, I respect that but his style is not suitable for modern ODI. We cannot have all three Azhar, Malik, Hafeez in playing 11. We need more dynamic batsman. If Sharjeel is back Pakistan can go from most Sissy team in power play a week ago to the most power house team in power play, transform from 1.0 to 2.0 in a heartbeat.

His credentials in test are unquestionable so is M Sami, they both are best test openers. But ODI Demands are very different.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1067 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can never question Azhar's commitment to the cause. He may not be the most talented but he will lay down his life for the team if required.

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Why? Still it doesn't tell he is an ODI player. It's not about one innings, rather the type of player - VVS Laxman once hit 3 hundreds in 2002-03 WSC, just before 2003 WC, still he was dropped from WC squad, because his game wasn't suited for ODI. Azhar played decent & unfortunate to miss a possible hundred, but still he doesn't make the ODI team.

He played decent in this tournament - but not necessarily he should be the automatic choice in ODI. No disrespect or denial of his performance, but he is a limited player who shouldn't play LO. I put it this way - if Sharjeel is cleared today - which 2 players PAK should play as LO openers?
    I think he's apologising because some of his criticism was OTT and very emotional.

Yes you can have an opinion thinking that Azhar isn't suited for ODIs but some guys on PP went way overboard and someeone like Azhar who is such a hard worker and a top professional didn't really deserve that.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been telling everyone please give Azhar time. he is the best we have with Zaman/sharjeel. It was hurting when people criticize him. he is given the role by the team management.

Good game azhar.

Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Kuwait
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    #Salute #Respect

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar shouldn't play ODIs.

He is a fine player but should focus on tests.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boi View Post
    I think he's apologising because some of his criticism was OTT and very emotional.

Yes you can have an opinion thinking that Azhar isn't suited for ODIs but some guys on PP went way overboard and someeone like Azhar who is such a hard worker and a top professional didn't really deserve that.
    Most posters are frustrated for the 2 years of Azhar's Captaincy, more than anything else. He is one of the most committed, honest, hardworking & popular PAK cricketer, who is easily the best Test opener these days. That's why I say that those 2 years cost him more than it gained him - he would have been PAK's Test captain fr 5 years without those 2 years.

Since he left Captaincy, most of the posters are supportive to him. He'll end as a PAK ATG, if he reties from ODI today on high & focus on his Test career - has a realistic shot at YK's numbers.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though I never questioned his commitment, I was very critical of him before and after the first match, and was even considering Shehzad as a better replacement. He proved me wrong. I take back my criticism. Always loved him as a Test Batter, but with Fakhar at the top he can stay provided he doesn't suffer a form slump.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most posters are frustrated for the 2 years of Azhar's Captaincy, more than anything else. He is one of the most committed, honest, hardworking & popular PAK cricketer, who is easily the best Test opener these days. That's why I say that those 2 years cost him more than it gained him - he would have been PAK's Test captain fr 5 years without those 2 years.

Since he left Captaincy, most of the posters are supportive to him. He'll end as a PAK ATG, if he reties from ODI today on high & focus on his Test career - has a realistic shot at YK's numbers.
    Whole heatedly agree with every single word. @MMHS

But important thing is, Do Mickey, Sarfraz and Grant Flower recognize this?

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll eat the humble pie too. We were all too harsh on him. He is not a proper modern day ODI batsmen but he was put in the squad out of the blue after being dropped and he helped anchored many of our innings to an outstanding tournament.

Debut
    May 2005
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a big slice of Humble pie for Iftaari and will have a bit more at Sehri. My sincerest apologies

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamza_ View Post
    Whole heatedly agree with every single word. @MMHS

But important thing is, Do Mickey, Sarfraz and Grant Flower recognize this?
    Mickey probably - I was listening to him with Athers/Nass & he did mention that they have identified around 10-12 young players from whom they'll form the team in next 2 years for 2019. Sarfraz is quite intelligent & double world Champion- both times against IND, can't happen that he can't see the obvious.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    You can never question Azhar's commitment to the cause. He may not be the most talented but he will lay down his life for the team if required.
    Your signature

You were so hard on Inzi just a few days ago

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Salute, Mr Azhar, easily our 2nd best batsman this tournament!

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mickey probably - I was listening to him with Athers/Nass & he did mention that they have identified around 10-12 young players from whom they'll form the team in next 2 years for 2019. Sarfraz is quite intelligent & double world Champion- both times against IND, can't happen that he can't see the obvious.
    @MMHS So Arthur may have listed up likes of Umar Amin, Sahibzada Farhan, Haris Sohail.etc who have performed in List A cup, Even Amir Yamin?

Shoaib Malik is 35, Hafeez is 36. There is every chance of performance deterioration even further in two years.

Arthur needs to take a stand and get in another opener with Fakhar. Also I feel Hussain Talat is a great prospect who needs to be inducted.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had believe in him since we had lost the Ind match

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1067 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KyoOne View Post
    Your signature

You were so hard on Inzi just a few days ago
    Abay yaar don't ask... It is because of a bet I lost against @Markhor

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1044 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I am sorry too.

Azhar played a big role along with partnerships with Fakhar but

His CT SR was 75 only.

I will take a 83-85 SR with his consistency but it might be quite difficult for him to manage.

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You always count on experience in such high presaure matches. Despite all the criticism he delivered shows how mentally strong he is. Also the inning against Eng was inspiring.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Proudly always backed Azhar. He's a true fighter that gives his 101% too bad some of the superficial fans don't like him. But he shut them up throughout this tournament

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar Ali is the best opener Pakistan ever had... blessing to have him... imagine Harris sohail.. he would've failed every match and people on this forum would've still supported him

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Dublin
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar had a good tournament but let it not mask his poor ODI form generally. He still needs to work on his skills, batting and catching.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well done azhar ali

now this would be the best moment to retire from ODIs and concentrate on tests before it too late

i still dont think he's cut out for ODIs

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He really played some great shots in the last 2 games. Specially the six that he hit Stokes on fine leg was Sehwag like shot.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really well done, SR of 84 today. At one point Fakhar was struggling with SR of 60-70 then Azhar stepped in to release pressure.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Gold's Gym
    Runs
    Mentioned
    832 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have always backed him regardless of everything else.

Never forget who stayed down & who switched up.

You gotta work until your idols become your rivals.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Shouldn't be playing ODIs but you can do a lot worse when it comes to character.

He's humble, calm, and gives 100%.

I'd take him over Shahzad any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    One of my favourite Pakistani cricketers but I still believe he isn't an ODI player. We need Sharjeel up top with Fakhar and if Sharjeel is found guilty then we need someone similar.

Kuch to log kahenge
    Logon ka kaam hai kehna

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Gold's Gym
    Runs
    Mentioned
    832 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    One of my favourite Pakistani cricketers but I still believe he isn't an ODI player. We need Sharjeel up top with Fakhar and if Sharjeel is found guilty then we need someone similar.
    One of your favourites yet you were calling him "cancer" on match thread? Amazing.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
    One of your favourites yet you were calling him "cancer" on the match thread? Amazing.
    Cancer to the ODI team and I was wrong in using words like that. How many times have I said he's our best test batsman? I still believe he isn't cut out for ODIs so I'm not backtracking. Excellent test cricketer and human being

Kuch to log kahenge
    Logon ka kaam hai kehna

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Needs to work on his skip catching though
    He dropped Sarfaraz?

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Gold's Gym
    Runs
    Mentioned
    832 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    Cancer to the ODI team and I was wrong in using words like that. How many times have I said he's our best test batsman?
    I'm not arguing your point, but like you admitted, you could've used a lot better terminology.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar needs a flamboyant opener like Sharjeel or Fakhar to thrive. Hats off to him for playing according to the situation. I think we finally have a decent opening pair.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2458 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Indeed.

Never a fan of Azhar the ODI batsman but never have I doubted his commitment. He's not a coward and never will be. Despite his limitations, he batted like a man today and came through when required. He will always be a hero in my eyes for that.

Thank you Azhar.

IF he can continue to play like this, he should continue to partner Fakhar up top. Need someone who can consistently score 40+ at a SR of around 80 alongside a dasher in Fakhar. Will be a formidable pair for years to come, provided Azhar can keep it up.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    Might seem like an emotional thread, but I salute this man. Opened a thread for him after that 4th June loss and was absolutely scathing in my criticism. But Azhar Ali, you are a champion. You played like a champion. You set the tone at the top of the order. When Fakhar was nervous and struggling, you took control and guided him through a difficult period. You just looked a million dollars out there. You deserved more runs today. You really did. Even in the semi-final, you were outstanding. I don't care if you score a series of ducks till you retire after this, you are a champion cricketer and we are all proud to have someone like you representing our country.

I will gladly eat 59 humble pies today if I can atone for all what I've said against you in the past few weeks. You have earned the respect of millions of fans today. Salute Azhar Ali, you are a champion.
    And we had a series of disagreements over it, the last being slightly unpleasant. Credit to you for being gracious and courageous enough to accept your mistake. I don't intend to say I was correct or you were wrong or to rub it in, all I want is to request you and all other posters who bashed Azhar, is to not let emotion get the better of you (difficult I understand especially when it comes to the PCT) and think about things logically. Azhar might not be the best player we have but he is perhaps the most dedicated and honest player in the team. Cricket is a team game and every player has a role to play. Azhar's role was to anchor the innings and he did that perfectly well.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar scored more runs than all the modern ODI openers combined i.e Warner, Hales, Roy. Thing is its ideal to score a lot of runs at a good rate but scoring runs at SR of 75 is better than scoring under 10's with strike rates of over 90's.

Thing to notice here is when Fakhar played against England, Srilanka the score was around 60 in 10 overs, Azhar was on the crease with a strike rate of 75 or may be more or less. But cricket is a team game, he must have accessed the situation that we are already going at a RR of 6 and even its due to Fakhar I dont need to take a risk which was sensible.

Now against India he realized Fakhar was struggling earlier on so he took the charge. He is limited in ability but he knows the game.

No teams scores 500 in ODI whith all batsmen going guns blazing. To achieve 300 you need a run rate of 6 as a team, one might struggle playing shots one day so the partner must take the charge.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Egg on my face after this knock

Sorry Azhar you're one brilliant bat bro

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He batted well was extremely lucky imo. He should've been run out 2-3 times during his knock and eventually got out and then dropped Kohli (luckily it didn't cost us at all) but geez at that moment I was anything but sorry to him. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though and all is forgiven.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma_ View Post
    He batted well was extremely lucky imo. He should've been run out 2-3 times during his knock and eventually got out and then dropped Kohli (luckily it didn't cost us at all) but geez at that moment I was anything but sorry to him. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though and all is forgiven.
    There are lot of risky singles in every match.You need to rotate strike and out pressure on the inner fielders. Even look at the indian batsment they take a lot of risky singles.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    There are lot of risky singles in every match.You need to rotate strike and out pressure on the inner fielders. Even look at the indian batsment they take a lot of risky singles.
    I agree his mindset change was a breath of fresh air but I am not convinced that he's the right option heading into the future.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree his mindset change was a breath of fresh air but I am not convinced that he's the right option heading into the future.
    Depends on the team balance, if we can find a world class aggressive middle order bat then Azhar's stability at the top can be a very valuable asset. It ensures we don't end up 20/2 after 5 overs (and we have been in that position very frequently in the last 5 years). Azhar has been consistently improving his ODI game, so while he might not be a first choice opener (if we can find a better option - I personally prefer giving Sami Aslam a chance) he should remain in the mix for the immediate future. Another option that I see, given Hafeez and Malik's consistent failures and Babar making one down his own, is to play Azhar at 4 where he can play the role that Babar played yesterday. But for that Azhar will need to work on his ability to rotate the strike which is the weakest area of his game.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amvbfm View Post
    Depends on the team balance, if we can find a world class aggressive middle order bat then Azhar's stability at the top can be a very valuable asset. It ensures we don't end up 20/2 after 5 overs (and we have been in that position very frequently in the last 5 years). Azhar has been consistently improving his ODI game, so while he might not be a first choice opener (if we can find a better option - I personally prefer giving Sami Aslam a chance) he should remain in the mix for the immediate future. Another option that I see, given Hafeez and Malik's consistent failures and Babar making one down his own, is to play Azhar at 4 where he can play the role that Babar played yesterday. But for that Azhar will need to work on his ability to rotate the strike which is the weakest area of his game.
    He should come in at first drop with another power hitting opener needed alongside with Fakhar. He's a converted ODI player that's why he struggles with playing at a decent strike rate and rotation. He's a test player first and foremost.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Stoke
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Played for the team,He is an excellent A* test batsmen,in ODIS if he can keep playing atleast at a SR of 82-83 I'll be happy.His contributions are massive,3/50s a 34 and a failure so it's been a good tourni for Azhar

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should come in at first drop with another power hitting opener needed alongside with Fakhar. He's a converted ODI player that's why he struggles with playing at a decent strike rate and rotation. He's a test player first and foremost.
    That too is a possibility, but I hadn't mentioned it because Babar looks settled at one down and it might not be a good idea to disturb him.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    He dropped Sarfaraz?
    Kya?

No, he dropped Kohli.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Kya?

No, he dropped Kohli.
    Skip = captain in cricket.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amvbfm View Post
    That too is a possibility, but I hadn't mentioned it because Babar looks settled at one down and it might not be a good idea to disturb him.
    Babar at 3 or 4 is the same player because the roles are essentially the same.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Gold's Gym
    Runs
    Mentioned
    832 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kya?

No, he dropped Kohli.
    See typo in your post.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a huge investment for future of ODI & Test, don't mess up with him. Remove hate from heart and soul. He's a true legend with great temperament.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no shame in saying that I criticized Azhar's selection and I WAS WRONG.
    Take a bow brother!

Pakistan fan from Bangladesh.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post

While everyone agreed that he has his limitations while scoring but on a positive side he brings in this team that long forgotten stability. And people comparing him to Hafeez & Malik are wrong. He might play at the same S/R as them but you would rarely find him gifting his wicket to bowlers as both of them do so often.

While we still have our batting woes in plenty but to be fair we have lost more matches by being in 20/3 or 30/4 situations than by having a consistent but slow opener like Azhar. And with a mercurial opener like Fakhar, you need all the stability on the other side. It's the middle order that needs revamp not openers.

And on the topic I have always backed Azhar but have also said that he is not an LOI opener. But till the time we get a dynamic opener who can score 40+ at 85+ S/R, I would gladly welcome Azhar in this team.
    Last edited by LordEddardStark; 19th June 2017 at 09:10.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Bury
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Azhar is the only consistent world class batsman in this team. Yes yes a test specialist as he contains himself and crawls along but the result is that he provides solidity at the top which is invaluable.

In odi cricket he is similarly limited and puts away loose shots until he's absolutely sure he's got the measure of conditions and the bowler. Such thinking players who eschew risks at the top in the power play should be celebrated not criticised. He may be too slow for some fans but I think he's perfect for the team for now.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saying sorry to both Azhar & Hafeez..Both were fantastic yesterday..Now I want this over rated chap called Shoaib Malik axed & HARIS SOHAIL to take his place. Also would like to see Fahim Ashraf get more games instead of Imad Wasim in future ODIs

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I am on the fence on him in odi's. even though he played a huge hand in keeping Pakistan's score ticking while fakhar was initially struggling.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Toronto/Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As many have said, it was heartening to see the intent and aggression AA showed while Zaman was struggling. He was the one who understood the situation and set the tone.

As for people asking him to be replaced...let's see a better alternative (one not accused of fixing), before we go there. I still think he should be in the squad for 2019 in England, some pitches still have early movement.

Show a little bit of moderation, in both denouncement and praise.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Azhar Ali has always been an honest trier and a committed character. He has shined when Pakistan needed him the most but I am still not convinced about him as an ODI batsman.

The good thing about him has been that he is beginning to realize the requirements of the modern game but his game is just not suited to it. Even yesterday he missed out on quite a few drives outside the off stump and hit far too many deliveries straight to the fielder; deliveries which should have been worked in the gap for a single or should have found the fence.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    As much as Azhar Ali's problems in ODI Cricket exist, you cannot fault him one bit, he punches above his weight and has punched above his weight his whole career.

He is the perfect example of Talent is not everything. Just compare the stroke less Azhar Ali who first started his career in 2010 to the Azhar Ali now, we see a more confident batsman who has worked very hard to develop attacking strokes to his repoitre and someone who is working very hard to meet the needs of the team.

The likes of Asad Shafiq have more talent, Umar Akmal has more talent but Azhar Ali's body of work is far superior.

He is our Rahul Dravid. The man lost the captaincy in embarrassing circumstances, he was benched by his PSL team for the entire season, but not once you will hear any resentment, emotional outburst, he has always maintained his dignity.

There is only one way he can maintain his place in the ODI team i.e. if the team finds 5-6 aggressive batsman and that way he can play the anchor role.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is someone you should keep in the squad but him being a regular? I'm not too sure about that.

Probably one for AUS/ENG/SA/NZ tours.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar must open with Fakhar...
    He cannot be replaced with Sharjeel...
    Sharjeel must play at #3 and play aggressive innings after a monster opening platform between Azhar and Fakhar... Babar is not good at #3, so drop him to #4!!

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    At the media zone I asked him if he felt he had silenced his critics. But he was humble as ever, played the criticism down and said it was more about performing for the team rather than individual glory.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    As much as Azhar Ali's problems in ODI Cricket exist, you cannot fault him one bit, he punches above his weight and has punched above his weight his whole career.

He is the perfect example of Talent is not everything. Just compare the stroke less Azhar Ali who first started his career in 2010 to the Azhar Ali now, we see a more confident batsman who has worked very hard to develop attacking strokes to his repoitre and someone who is working very hard to meet the needs of the team.

The likes of Asad Shafiq have more talent, Umar Akmal has more talent but Azhar Ali's body of work is far superior.

He is our Rahul Dravid. The man lost the captaincy in embarrassing circumstances, he was benched by his PSL team for the entire season, but not once you will hear any resentment, emotional outburst, he has always maintained his dignity.

There is only one way he can maintain his place in the ODI team i.e. if the team finds 5-6 aggressive batsman and that way he can play the anchor role.
    Great post.

Supported him since day 1. Hes a champion through and through

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar’s integrity, character and dedication to serve Pakistan has never been in doubt, and he is unquestionably the best test batsmen currently in the side.

As to his long-term future in ODIs, that remains to be seen. He has certainly improved in the shorter format, and performed particularly well against India. However, he finished the CT with a strike-rate of 74.02. If he wants to stay in ODIs he needs to get that up to at least 85 (against India he got to 83). Even if can do that, let us not forget he will be 34 when the 2019 WC starts.

With all this in mind, it might be best for Azhar to focus on tests and allow for some new ODI talent to come through. For now, Azhar has earnt a run in the team providing he can get that strike rate up. All I am saying is that it his place in the side shouldn’t come at the cost of a younger player who is better-suited to the demands of modern ODI cricket.