Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    643 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"Youngsters bring positive energy to the team and make us strong" : Azhar Mahmood

In his latest blog for PakPassion.net, Azhar Mahmood writes about Pakistan's stunning victory in the 2017 Champions Trophy, analyses Man of the Tournament Hasan Ali's progress, expresses his delight at Junaid Khan's impressive return to the Pakistan side, discusses Mohammad Amir's crucial spell in the final against India and reflects on how he deals with criticism.

Name:  264595.jpg
Views: 37436
Size:  202.5 KB

The feeling of pride after winning the Champions Trophy

There is no better feeling than knowing that we have won the ICC Champions Trophy or any major tournament for that matter. One can only praise the Almighty for His reward for our hard work before and during this tournament not only in our bowling but in the overall sense.

As a coach involved with the winning side, this is the best feeling one can have, but it gets better if we consider the fact that we won the final against our arch-rival India and lifted the Champions Trophy. We did so, at a time when no one gave us any chance of success. No one gave us any credit for the hard-work we put in as we prepared for this tournament and we were written-off after our defeat to India in the tournament opener.

Our improvement in all departments was phenomenal and whether it was batting, bowling or fielding we seemed to click at the right time to win the trophy. The improvement we saw was not only there in the way we turned around our fortunes during the Champions Trophy, but this was also there beforehand with our performances in the West Indies series where we showed great energy not only in LOIs but also in the Test matches as well.

It was a team effort at the Champions Trophy and especially pleasing if we consider the fact that this is a young team which helped us win. The lads represent the future for Pakistan but it was also great to see the seniors responding well. So, players like Shoaib Malik and Mohammad Hafeez responded really well to our objective of playing the brand of cricket which we now want to play.

Pakistan's remarkable turnaround after disaster against India

We hear a lot of talk about our disastrous performance against India in the bowling department. But, to be fair to our bowlers, things were not that bad up until the 38th over of that game. Of course, they ended up getting 319/3 and then our batsmen succumbed to the pressure a bit with Shoaib Malik losing his wicket at a crucial phase of the match. To be honest, the performance wasn’t as bad as some may have made it to look. Fact is that we dropped two crucial catches of Virat Kohli and Yuvraj Singh and two of our front-line bowlers developed injuries, which caused us to change our plans against the batsmen.

Poor Hasan Ali, with all his inexperience had to carry the burden on his shoulders in the absence of our two senior bowlers and then Imad Wasim had to bowl the last over which cost him 23 runs. Yes, it appeared pretty horrendous but if you break it down, you will see that it was about India winning key moments which changed the whole scenario of the game.

Hasan Ali's brilliant progress

Let me start by saying that the presence of Hasan Ali in the team is like a breath of fresh air. To me, he is a game-changer in the truest sense of the word. In fact, working with all the fast-bowlers was an amazing experience in the manner in which they all wanted to learn and improve themselves. But coming back to Hasan Ali, let me say that he is a match-winner and our go-to man at the moment. What I really love about Hasan is his attitude. He not only wants to do well for himself but he genuinely wants to do anything to help out his team as well. As a coach and a team-mate, that’s all you want from a young bowler. When we discussed the game with him, he would be talking about the ground dimensions and the pitch and those are such important factors for any bowler to understand. This is where Hasan is so good as apart from having all the skills that one can ask for from any fast-bowler, he also has a keen understanding of how and when to use those skills to get the maximum advantage. This is so important when you are bowling against good quality batsmen who have strong and weak areas in their game. With Hasan, it feels that he has the ability to out-think his opponents and is always one step ahead of the batsman.

Changing the mindsets of our fast-bowlers

From my point of view, apart from working on bowling skills, what I have also done with my association with Pakistan's bowlers is to change their mindset and this is how. If you go back a few months, you will see that 5fers for Pakistan have always come from the spinners but not from the fast-bowlers. It appeared that it was fine to get 2-3 wickets as a fast-bowler for it to be considered a good performance which to me was nonsense. What I have told them is to beat their best performance in every game they play. That is the only goal they need to set for themselves. They need to compete with themselves and not worry about others. That is my advice to all bowlers and that is exactly what Hasan Ali does every time he goes out to bowl.

Wickets a must in middle-overs

There is a huge shift in thinking when it comes to bowling during the middle-overs period of the innings in ODIs. Gone are the days when you as a bowling unit could sit back and try and survive whilst going through the middle-overs with a view to contain the opposition. Nowadays, if there is a set batsman when the middle-overs arrive, he will take you to the cleaners if you cannot remove him, so taking wickets during that period is crucial. On top of that, you can reduce the run-rate by taking wickets which is what we did during this tournament and that was the key to our success. We were lucky in that we had some excellent wicket-taking options in the shape of Hasan Ali and Shadab Khan who could go hard at the opposition and take wickets in the middle overs and Junaid Khan, Rumman Raees and Mohammad Amir when they came back in their second spell were equally impressive and did not allow any freedom to the batsmen.

Junaid Khan’s impressive return

I was absolutely delighted to see Junaid Khan back in the team and performing well. The first time I saw him with the team was in Australia when he made a comeback for Pakistan. In the second ODI in Melbourne he took the wickets of David Warner and Usman Khawaja, but then he did not have good games after that. It was important that as coaching staff we made sure that he was given consistent chances to prove himself. He was having some issues with his action which was also effecting the speeds with which he was bowling. We he had to do some remedial work and now if you see in the Champions Trophy he touched 140+ KpH which was a big improvement. He bowled some quick bouncers as well as good slower deliveries during the tournament. Junaid knows what to do and he has the skills for the job as well as the fitness to go with it. We just need to give him the confidence he needs to perform on the field and we don’t need to come down hard on him if he has one bad game.

Consistency in selection is a must

The problem a lot of the time is the media who go into a frenzy when a bowler has a bad game which is not good. We need to back our guys and give the players a proper chance. And this not just true for Junaid but for any youngster; all of the deserving players need to be given ample chances to perform because that is how they become better and stronger players. If we look at all the other teams like South Africa, Australia and India, we will note that they tend to keep the same team composition for a while and give all their players enough chances to prove themselves. Pakistan does not have the luxury of the types of talents we used to have available for selection in the 1990s. What we now need to do is take the players who have come in and give them time and the confidence to grow into better players and perform at a higher level. We cannot elevate them to heroes one day and then turn them into ‘zeroes’ the next day. We need to change that type of mentality if we wish to progress further.

Rumman Raees

He is one bowler who has really impressed not just myself but all who have watched him play. I saw him for the first time at the PSL and I also worked with him during that tournament. Recently, during practice at The Oval the day before the final, I saw that he was not finishing his action and I asked him to work on that aspect. Once he made that adjustment, he was bowling a yard to two yards quicker. So, with his talent, just a small change like that could make a difference. He showed amazing strength of character when we put him in place of Mohammad Amir in the crucial game against England. He made his ODI debut in the semi-final where he showed good skills and bowled with a big-heart. That’s all we need and to be honest, we did not feel Amir’s absence that day as Rumman was as good as the bowler he had replaced. That’s exactly what we want as our bench-strength to be for the future so we can implement a good rotation policy. This allows us to not keep on playing the same players again and again and risking injury to them. This way we can give some rest to the players so that they can stay fit by replacing them with bowlers of similar quality.

Getting the fast-bowlers to focus and deliver each time

As I have stated before, I always insist that fast-bowlers finish their actions when bowling. And its not just Rumman who has this type of issue as other bowlers also suffer from this type of simple problem which can be fixed with ease. What we had seen in the past is that when bowlers came back for their second spell they were not concentrating but my advice to them was that whenever you comeback for the next spell, you bowl as if you are bowling for the first time in the game. Do not bowl a few loose deliveries and use that to warm-up to bowl better later as in modern-day cricket, good batsmen will not allow you that freedom as a bowler. That mentality needed to be changed right from the way we practice and I'm glad to see improvements in this area.

The return of Mohammad Amir

There is no doubt in my mind that Mohammad Amir is a big-match player. During the Champions Trophy, there was hardly any swing due to the cold weather at Cardiff and Edgbaston but Amir swung the ball at Cardiff and also at The Oval. I felt Amir seemed to be holding himself back so that he was only putting in 70% effort at times. I mentioned this to Amir before the final against India that he must go flat out and bowl the fastest he can. And we saw in that game in the way he was running in, in his body language that he was fired up and went in full throttle at the Indian batsmen. His spell, as we all saw, could only be described as a match-winning spell. He took wickets with the new ball and set the tone for the rest of the innings for all of the other to follow. Fakhar Zaman did that for us with the bat and Amir followed with the ball.

Shadab Khan

Watching this 18-year-old play as if he was playing a street game with his friends and not the most important game of the tournament is how in my view, the game should be played. Shadab Khan is able to do all that because he has confidence in his abilities. When you enjoy your cricket then you will put in performances like the way he bowled to Yuvraj Singh at The Oval. He was bowling as if he didn’t care who the batsman was in the same way we always teach the batsmen to play the ball and not worry about who is bowling it. It did not matter if the batsman was Yuvraj Singh or Virat Kohli for Shadab because once you start worrying about that, you as a bowler are in trouble.

The positive energy coming from the youngsters

We are lucky in the sense that we have some players like Shadab Khan, Hasan Ali and Fakhar Zaman. Each of them has talent but above all, they have a big heart. That is what the team needs and you would have seen the effect of that in the boost in morale and the lift the team got during the tournament. This is a great sign for Pakistan cricket and I am really pleased and happy about that as that is taking Pakistan cricket in the right direction. It is all because of these youngsters. They go the extra yard in training and they bring positive energy to the team; these guys make us strong. I am very pleased for these young guys as they make me proud as well. They listen to me and whilst I made plans for them, nothing would have been achieved if they had not executed those plans to perfection. At the end of the day, I can make plans but the responsibility for execution of those plans is with the players. As we have seen at the Champions Trophy, they have followed those plans and made me and the whole nation proud by doing so.

Criticism directed at me

I have said it before that the criticism from keyboard warriors and TV 'experts' has no effect on what I am here to achieve. They have no idea about the ground realities in terms of what is happening at any given time on the field. There are issues such as bowling with or against the wind, where the pitch is unhelpful and so on; the onlookers and experts have no idea what the bowlers are up against; they just sit on TV shows and say what they like.

I am doing my work with honesty and passing on my experience to these young guys and that is very pleasing for me. It does not matter what others say or do, as long as my bowlers are happy. That is all I care about and that is what makes me happy. I have said this before and I will reiterate that I am doing this job to make a difference. This is not about getting an easy salary as some have suggested; this should be clear to all. If all I wanted to do was to make money, then I would have been doing something else, but this is not at all about that. I work with the Pakistan bowlers due to my passion and for pride and to serve Pakistan and Pakistan cricket. I am sacrificing my family life as I am away from them for long periods but I am doing this for my country alone. This type of criticism about me really hurts but thankfully the people can now see the results of my efforts.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn. Azhar calling out all the bums that criticized him. Well done Azhar!

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Another fantastic write-up yet again. We really are blessed to have Azhar on board. Seems to know what he's doing.

Loved his dig at keyboard warriors.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Azhar Mahmood laying into his critics and about time too!

The man can stand up and take a bow for what he has done for his team and no one can doubt him

Well Done Azhar!

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant Azhar. Some really balanced, insightful and incisive comments. Really nice to understand the Psychy of a coach and how stupid one may see himself/herself to have commented on a given situation in the past. Amazing to see how they have everything covered from the game's perspective howsoever small a thing may be. Imagine people who have never played any kind of cricket insist so often in the various game situations that 'Aww he missed a trick there, shame on him'.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I disagree regarding the upcoming talent pool. It is very good. High quality.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic write up.

Azhar has done great as a bowling coach and now he has a young pace attack to further improve.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    A week after Pakistan clinched their maiden Champions Trophy title with a crushing win over their arch-rivals India, bowling coach Azhar Mahmood is bursting with pride after seeing his side's phenomenal improvement in all departments of the game.

Following a 124-run defeat against India in the opening Group B clash, Pakistan had bounced back strongly in the tournament as they hammered South Africa, Sri Lanka in the group stage before defeating favourites England in the semi-final to once again set up a clash against the Virat Kohli-led side.

Subsequently, Pakistan delivered an all-round performance against India, winning the finals by massive 180 runs at the Kennington Oval to lift their maiden Champions Trophy title.

Reflecting on the same, Mahmood said that their turnaround was not new and that it was also present during their last ODIs and Test series against West Indies.

"Our improvement in all departments was phenomenal and whether it was batting, bowling or fielding we seemed to click at the right time to win the trophy. The improvement we saw was not only there in the way we turned around our fortunes during the Champions Trophy, but this was also there beforehand with our performances in the West Indies series where we showed great energy not only in ODIs but also in the Test matches as well,"Pakpassion.net quoted Mahmood as saying.

"There is no better feeling than knowing that we have won the ICC Champions Trophy or any major tournament for that matter. One can only praise the Almighty for His reward for our hard work before and during this tournament not only in our bowling but in the overall sense," he added.

Insisting that they were written-off from the tournament following India's defeat in the opening round, the former all-rounder said that he felt quite disappointed to see that no one credited his side for the hard work they had put in during the tournament.

"As a coach involved with the winning side, this is the best feeling one can have, but it gets better if we consider the fact that we won the final against our arch-rival India and lifted the Champions Trophy. We did so, at a time when no one gave us any chance of success. No one gave us any credit for the hard-work we put in as we prepared for this tournament and we were written-off after our defeat to India in the tournament opener," he added.

Mahmood also heaped praise on his side's overall performance, saying that both young as well as senior players responded really well to their objective of playing good brand of cricket.

"It was a team effort at the Champions Trophy and especially pleasing if we consider the fact that this is a young team which helped us win. The lads represent the future for Pakistan but it was also great to see the seniors responding well. So, players like Shoaib Malik and Mohammad Hafeez responded really well to our objective of playing the brand of cricket which we now want to play," he said.

The victory also saw Pakistan leapfrog Sri Lanka and Bangladesh to surge to the sixth spot and move closer to direct qualification for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019, for which host England and the next seven highest-ranked sides as on September 30 will get straight entries.

The Sarfraz Ahmed-led side gained four points to move to 95 points as its wins over higher ranked opponents in the tournament included the one in the final against India and an eight-wicket semi-final victory over England.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/a.../1/987122.html

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Interesting that some Pakistan-based media were after Azhar Mahmood the day he was signed as Pakistan's bowling coach.

One of the reasons being that they felt he wasn't Pakistani enough as he didn't live in Pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Interesting that some Pakistan-based media were after Azhar Mahmood the day he was signed as Pakistan's bowling coach.

One of the reasons being that they felt he wasn't Pakistani enough as he didn't live in Pakistan.
    Azhar Mahmood has come a long way since when he was a youngster in the Pakistan team from 1996-2001. He couldn't even speak English properly or confidently. But he made the best decision for himself by embracing county cricket, marrying a british national and choosing to settle in England because he obviously realized very early on that struggling in Pakistan Cricket was going to get him nowhere and that no one in Pakistan Cricket will give a damn about him after Cricket.

He has now established so many contacts in England, he will very well regarded and respected in the English Cricketing circles i.e. Alec Stewart, Rob Key, Mark Butcher, he speaks English pretty confidently, he carries himself more confidently and it has broadened his horizons.

He acquired all the Coaching certificates, established his academy and i even came across a few charity dinners he organized to raise the issue of mental health problems in subcontinent cricketers as it was a huge social stigma for subcontinental cricketers to admit mental health problems.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Azhar Mahmood has come a long way since when he was a youngster in the Pakistan team from 1996-2001. He couldn't even speak English properly or confidently. But he made the best decision for himself by embracing county cricket, marrying a british national and choosing to settle in England because he obviously realized very early on that struggling in Pakistan Cricket was going to get him nowhere and that no one in Pakistan Cricket will give a damn about him after Cricket.

He has now established so many contacts in England, he will very well regarded and respected in the English Cricketing circles i.e. Alec Stewart, Rob Key, Mark Butcher, he speaks English pretty confidently, he carries himself more confidently and it has broadened his horizons.

He acquired all the Coaching certificates, established his academy and i even came across a few charity dinners he organized to raise the issue of mental health problems in subcontinent cricketers as it was a huge social stigma for subcontinental cricketers to admit mental health problems.
    And all this is ignored by some representatives of the Pakistani media who were almost in tears when the bowlers were doing well in the Champions Trophy.

All because he doesn't live in Pakistan and because he doesn't kiss the feet of some in the media.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And all this is ignored by some representatives of the Pakistani media who were almost in tears when the bowlers were doing well in the Champions Trophy.

All because he doesn't live in Pakistan and because he doesn't kiss the feet of some in the media.
    Hope players/coaches stay away from Pakistani media and media walas and have an 'aik kaan sai suno, dosray kaan sai nikal do' attitude.
    Lost trust in Pakistani media (except for very few individuals) long time back.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got to say some very good work by Azhar Mahmood. If he is reading this, I'll suggest never to bog down by such media rubbish and keep up the good work.

He also needs to pin point domestic and U19 fast bowlers which can serve for us.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamza_ View Post
    Got to say some very good work by Azhar Mahmood. If he is reading this, I'll suggest never to bog down by such media rubbish and keep up the good work.

He also needs to pin point domestic and U19 fast bowlers which can serve for us.
    He doesn't worry about what is said in the media at all. It's water off a duck's back.

However the Champions Trophy win has been terrible for some of the Pakistani media. Will take them a while to recover.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very jolly guy to be honest. Met him a decade ago during Quaid e azam trophy, he was teaching reverse swing to kids of my age back then

Wanted to hear from him regarding where he sees Wahab Riaz' future in all formats,

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope next time he talks about Wahab and if wahab really has any future in the team.

Also would like to know his opinion about hafeez and malik. We have to drop at least 1. You cany carry both to wc 2019.

Plus they r blocking younger players.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    As Pakistan revels in the glory of winning the Champions Trophy, bowling coach Azhar Mahmood has lauded the efforts of his side and said that the performance was not surprising and quite expected.

In an interview to Pakpassion.net, Mahmood said, “Our improvement in all departments was phenomenal and whether it was batting, bowling or fielding we seemed to click at the right time to win the trophy. The improvement we saw was not only there in the way we turned around our fortunes during the Champions Trophy, but this was also there beforehand with our performances in the West Indies series where we showed great energy not only in ODIs but also in the Test matches as well.”

He added, “There is no better feeling than knowing that we have won the ICC Champions Trophy or any major tournament for that matter. One can only praise the Almighty for His reward for our hard work before and during this tournament not only in our bowling but in the overall sense.”

“As a coach involved with the winning side, this is the best feeling one can have, but it gets better if we consider the fact that we won the final against our arch-rival India and lifted the Champions Trophy. We did so, at a time when no one gave us any chance of success. No one gave us any credit for the hard-work we put in as we prepared for this tournament and we were written-off after our defeat to India in the tournament opener,” he further added.

“It was a team effort at the Champions Trophy and especially pleasing if we consider the fact that this is a young team which helped us win. The lads represent the future for Pakistan but it was also great to see the seniors responding well. So, players like Shoaib Malik and Mohammad Hafeez responded really well to our objective of playing the brand of cricket which we now want to play,” he said.

http://indianexpress.com/article/spo...hmood-4721755/

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    North side of Londonnn
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What an excellent choice he has been for the team, I doubted him from the beginning but he's proven me wrong and the fact that we won the ICC CT 2017 proves that the hard work done from behind the scenes was because of the management and coaching staff. Really impressed to see improvements in our fast bowling attack which was non-existent in Misbah's captaincy given we had the likes of Cheema, Gul, Tanvir, Ehsan Adil etc.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Done Azhar!!!! We are proud of you.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    It's always better to appoint native bowling coach, if a qualified one is available. Bowling at international level is more about mentoring that coaching fundamentals. Azhar comes with lots of experience from County & being part of one of the ATG attacks. I thought Kabir Khan could have been better, but Azhar proved his worth.

In recent times, what I see is, lots of praise & encouragement for youngsters - as if suddenly a super generation has emerged. Truth is that, had Wahab not been injured & Irfan, Ajmal not been banned, we would have heard still that there isn't enough talent to replace them.

I don't understand why, none in PAK calls a spade as spade & calls names? Everyone plays around words which has double meaning. What's the point of saying youngsters have done great & then picking a team of average age of 29+, because experience is gold.....

I have to say here that PAK's CT success had the biggest contribution from chance - along with some individual brilliance than anything else. It's was Wahab's unfortunate injury that brought JK in, later brought Raees in against ENG, while that schedule of 4th June favoured PAK, as it brought embarrassment at the hand of IND, otherwise, I don't see the 2 guys instrumental (both made tournament XI) of PAK's success getting any chance. PAK should have beaten SRL had it been 1st match, even with Wahab, Shehzad & that could have been end of it - even end of Fakhar, without getting any chance, because next match is in 4 months time - enough for Ul Haq to bring back Umar & Kamran.

Overall, some great comments, but I would have loved to see some bold words - "we have won it, but CT is past now. What youngsters have shown that they can carry on the expectation & deliver under pressure. It's time for looking forward & we need fresh faces going forward in 2 years time".

If this CT success means couple of years comfort for MoHa, Malik, Azhar, Imad..... then it's a problem.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Two things.

Firstly, a foolish preference for Abdul Razzaq robbed Azhar Mahmood of his rightful career.

He should have played 100 Tests between 1997 and 2008 with the following record batting at Number 7:

350 wickets at 36.00
    5000 runs at 32.00

(From 2001-2008, Razzaq could have batted at 6, Rashid Latif at 8, Shahid Afridi at 9, Shoaib Akhtar at 10 and first Mohammad Sami, then Shabbir Ahmed and finally Mohammad Asif at 11.)

Secondly, Pakistan tried for too long to get away with Mushtaq Ahmed as bowling coach with a bit of back-up from Mohammad Akram.

Both Azhar and Mushie should be with the team full-time. How else are Hassan Ali and Shadab Khan meant to develop?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Two things.

Firstly, a foolish preference for Abdul Razzaq robbed Azhar Mahmood of his rightful career.

He should have played 100 Tests between 1997 and 2008 with the following record batting at Number 7:

350 wickets at 36.00
    5000 runs at 32.00

(From 2001-2008, Razzaq could have batted at 6, Rashid Latif at 8, Shahid Afridi at 9, Shoaib Akhtar at 10 and first Mohammad Sami, then Shabbir Ahmed and finally Mohammad Asif at 11.)

Secondly, Pakistan tried for too long to get away with Mushtaq Ahmed as bowling coach with a bit of back-up from Mohammad Akram.

Both Azhar and Mushie should be with the team full-time. How else are Hassan Ali and Shadab Khan meant to develop?
    Mahmood didn't make much of an impact with the limited chances he got in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 his performances wavered. I personally believed he had made a decision to make full use of the opportunity he had in England and took it into consideration that he would never get a proper opportunity in Pakistan Cricket again.

Sometimes when you pursue something in life you have to factor in the possibility of failure and have a second option which is what Mahmood did i.e. a life in England. Some people so single mindedly pursue something hoping for massive success and once things don't turn out as they expected, they just dont seem to have a back up plan.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The question is why did Waqar fail with the same set of players and bowlers while Azhar Mahmood has succeeded?

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    The question is why did Waqar fail with the same set of players and bowlers while Azhar Mahmood has succeeded?
    All the bowlers are new except Amir who was as good under Waqar.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamza_ View Post
    All the bowlers are new except Amir who was as good under Waqar.
    Who put a gun to Waqar's head asking him to persist with Rahat, Wahab, Anwar Ali? He specifically used to refer to Wahab as his son. Junaid played under Waqar as well before being discarded, why is he doing better under Azhar Mahmood?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes great players do not necessarily make great coaches. It's universal in sports generally because great players have an unparalleled genius that is not adaptable to the mass of sportsmen. It's the same thing as Magic being the Lakers coach or Waqar being the bowing coach. Justin Langer once said he asked Adam Gilchrist to come in and teach the players about how he used to bat and succeed despite all obstacles. ( This was when Langer was batting coach ) Gilchrist said that he couldn't teach the set of players because he just used to go out there and bat. There was no method or technique to his game that could be in a manual. That's eveident by Duncan Fletcher having a big question mark in his journal next to Gilchrist's name when marking the Australian players' weaknesses.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    Sometimes great players do not necessarily make great coaches. It's universal in sports generally because great players have an unparalleled genius that is not adaptable to the mass of sportsmen. It's the same thing as Magic being the Lakers coach or Waqar being the bowing coach. Justin Langer once said he asked Adam Gilchrist to come in and teach the players about how he used to bat and succeed despite all obstacles. ( This was when Langer was batting coach ) Gilchrist said that he couldn't teach the set of players because he just used to go out there and bat. There was no method or technique to his game that could be in a manual. That's eveident by Duncan Fletcher having a big question mark in his journal next to Gilchrist's name when marking the Australian players' weaknesses.
    If great players can drop their ego and acquire coaching certificates it will go a long way.

Great players need to respect the individual in front of them and not judge them based on their own natural talent, ability.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not always about ego. Some players can not teach others because their style of playing or technique was natural to them. I'll give another example in sports. Roberto Duran was the greatest middleweight of his time. He's tried coaching a few boxers but they don't have the same success as he did with his style. When people make fun of Wasim for his " flick of the wrist " comments whenever he is asked about he could swing the ball at will, I don't think they realize that in his mind, that is all you need to swing the ball both ways effectively. That's why despite him coaching KKR and Islamabad United bowers, none of them have swung the ball like him. They simply cannot adopt his ability from his coaching methods.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    That's why probably Gilchrist was so good to watch in the game, Natural, gifted and his own method and technique of play. Such players are unique and rare.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    I watched Azhar working with Amir, Rumman, Hasan and Junaid at The Oval a day before the final and it was very interesting to see him at work.

He was very friendly with the players yet firm. He was encouraging them, but when they needed to be told that something wasn't up to standard, he was quick to point that out.

The players seemed to have a good deal of respect for him and the relationship seemed to be very good.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I watched Azhar working with Amir, Rumman, Hasan and Junaid at The Oval a day before the final and it was very interesting to see him at work.

He was very friendly with the players yet firm. He was encouraging them, but when they needed to be told that something wasn't up to standard, he was quick to point that out.

The players seemed to have a good deal of respect for him and the relationship seemed to be very good.
    Why do the players have zero controversy with Azhar Mahmood but plenty with Waqar everytime?

Food for thought

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job done by Azhar Mahmood and we are grateful for his work.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    643 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Azhar Mahmood speaking on TV:

"This was not an overnight improvement but a process"

"We worked on how to legally look after the ball to get reverse swing"

"In my view, fast-bowling is all about the right attitude"

"It doesnt matter if you are a medium pacer but you need to have the attitude of a fast-bowler"

"Most of our recent cricket was played in the sub-continent where we depended on bowlers like Yasir Shah, Saeed Ajmal"

"When I came in the fast-bowlers would be happy with 1-2 wickets but that is a mind-set I have changed now"

"I have told them that I consider good bowling to mean a five wicket haul"

"We have told them how to assess the pitch so they know what type of slow ball will work on it"

"Hasan is the one who bowled so well and its nice of him to give me credit"

⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠"Whilst we are praising our bowlers, we must also praise in same manner the captaincy of Sarfraz"

"With Sarfraz he is always one step ahead of the batsmen in thinking"

"What our previous captains did was let things happen on the field and then react to it"

"I understand Amir's back problem as even I have suffered from it, it takes 48 hrs to settle down"

Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Srinagar;Jammu and Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the reasons that I like about Azhar Mehmood is that he comes across as someone who knows the technicalities of the bowling really well.Knows what he is doing with his bowlers and the results are for everyone to see.

The frustrating thing about Pakistani media houses is that they can stoop to any level and the level of criticism on Azhar was deplprable.To call somebody that he ain't doing his job because he is un-Pakistani or half Pakistani is unheard of and condemnable.But I am really happy that with this win he has silenced them all.

One thing I would like to see more often from now on is the way we rotate our bowlers in all formats and according to the opposition.We need to have at least 5/6 bowlers in every format ready and rotate them around.We have got a good bunch of bowler but need to add some more bowlers and give the main bowlers rest from series to series.The main bowlers don't need to play every damn T20I,they need to play selective no of T20Is.
    Last edited by Fantasy; 3rd July 2017 at 06:50.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    616 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Azhar domestically atleast has been one of best limited over bowlers around where ever hes played, so its good to see his influence and mindset has rubbed off on our bowlers. We can be a competative LOI side now again due to our bowling. Our batting still needs massively fixing by other coaches.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wonderful read. Indeed young blood bring more energy and competition in the camp. Pakistan finally realizing this, better late than never

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PSL making a huge difference to Pakistan cricket

It's great to see pakistan cricket improving in all departments especially in the batting department. The Pakistan super league has made a big difference in finding fresh talents such as Fakhar Zaman, Faheem Ashraf & Shadab Khan

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The development of Hasan Ali has been incredible.

When I saw him playing for Pakistan A last year in England he looked decent but never in a million years did I think he would be man of the tournament in the Champions Trophy a year later.

Hope he keeps his head in the right place and carries on working hard and improving.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The development of Hasan Ali has been incredible.

When I saw him playing for Pakistan A last year in England he looked decent but never in a million years did I think he would be man of the tournament in the Champions Trophy a year later.

Hope he keeps his head in the right place and carries on working hard and improving.
    Yeah that's right. I mean nobody had thought that he would go on to become Pak go to bowler in any form of the game. Azhar Mahmood also deserves some credit for maximising his ability. He changed his run up to the crease and that has made him more balanced at the time of releasing the ball and in process has cut down those loose deliveries to some extent.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar made some interesting comments on a TV interview he did (alongside Abdul Razzaq):

On Hasan Ali:

“Hasan Ali has the ability to become the number 1 bowler in the world.”

“Hasan Ali has the ability to hit sixes, and with a bit of work on his technique he can become a player who regularly scores a quick 15/20 runs.”

On all-rounders Hussain Talat and Fahim Ashraf:

"WC19 is in England so we will definitely need a seam-bowling AR."

"Hussain Talat is a very good, aggressive batsmen but currently he is only a 3 or 4 over bowler (ie his bowling needs work)."

"Fahim Ashraf has the ability to hit sixes and has the potential to become a very good all-rounder."

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    643 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mak36 View Post
    Azhar made some interesting comments on a TV interview he did (alongside Abdul Razzaq):

On Hasan Ali:

“Hasan Ali has the ability to become the number 1 bowler in the world.”

“Hasan Ali has the ability to hit sixes, and with a bit of work on his technique he can become a player who regularly scores a quick 15/20 runs.”

On all-rounders Hussain Talat and Fahim Ashraf:

"WC19 is in England so we will definitely need a seam-bowling AR."

"Hussain Talat is a very good, aggressive batsmen but currently he is only a 3 or 4 over bowler (ie his bowling needs work)."

"Fahim Ashraf has the ability to hit sixes and has the potential to become a very good all-rounder."
    Good to see he recognises Hasan's potential to be the best bowler in the world.