Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    375 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

My bowling action

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    375 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Sorry, that's not full speed but pretty close to it.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not bad, go a little straighter, you are falling over a bit. Also, lengthen your delivery stride and JUMP!

Make sure you make changes one by one and not at the same time.

I think your pace is okay, but i'm not a bowling expert.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Like Rayyman said, you're falling over which isn't ideal but it's not the end of the world either. Right now you basically look like James Anderson.

The obvious problem is that you don't have any energy through the crease, you release the ball and almost come to a complete halt immediately rather than running through the crease. Not a quick bowler myself but I would suggest that you spend some time and work out a proper run up because that will make a huge difference for you.

Grab a friend or family member, find a nice open bit of land whether it's in a nearby park or in that cul-de-sac from your youtube clips. I would recommend somewhere with grass for this, and you will soon see why.

Mark a spot on the ground as the start of your run-up. Close your eyes (This is why you want grass, makes for a nicer landing if you fall over!) and run in a straight line. Start off slowly and steadily increase your speed, don't sprint the whole distance but gently work your speed up until you feel ready to bowl and then jump into your delivery stride.

Get your friend to mark the spot where your front foot landed.

Then go back to the original mark, close your eyes and repeat this 6-8 times. Remember to start from the same spot and start with the same foot each time.

Hopefully you will have a grouping of markers in more or less the same spot. Congratulations, now you have a proper fast bowlers run-up!

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    375 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Not bad, go a little straighter, you are falling over a bit. Also, lengthen your delivery stride and JUMP!

Make sure you make changes one by one and not at the same time.

I think your pace is okay, but i'm not a bowling expert.
    Yeah I was told by a coach at the practice that I'm falling over, anyway to fix that? It just feels unnatural for me to be straight, feels like I'm bowling slower.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    375 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    Like Rayyman said, you're falling over which isn't ideal but it's not the end of the world either. Right now you basically look like James Anderson.

The obvious problem is that you don't have any energy through the crease, you release the ball and almost come to a complete halt immediately rather than running through the crease. Not a quick bowler myself but I would suggest that you spend some time and work out a proper run up because that will make a huge difference for you.

Grab a friend or family member, find a nice open bit of land whether it's in a nearby park or in that cul-de-sac from your youtube clips. I would recommend somewhere with grass for this, and you will soon see why.

Mark a spot on the ground as the start of your run-up. Close your eyes (This is why you want grass, makes for a nicer landing if you fall over!) and run in a straight line. Start off slowly and steadily increase your speed, don't sprint the whole distance but gently work your speed up until you feel ready to bowl and then jump into your delivery stride.

Get your friend to mark the spot where your front foot landed.

Then go back to the original mark, close your eyes and repeat this 6-8 times. Remember to start from the same spot and start with the same foot each time.

Hopefully you will have a grouping of markers in more or less the same spot. Congratulations, now you have a proper fast bowlers run-up!
    Yeah run up is one thing my bowling needs work wit. Bowling in limited space has messed up my run up in a way.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your not finishing your action and maintaining extension, as a consequence you lose a bit of pace.

On the issue of you falling overand your head position I suggest you concentrate on keeping your head upright and in the 'corridor' in a straight line going to the stumps from the start of yout run up. I find that helped me when I played but I've seen other people use poles or sticks stuck into the ground, in a sort of corridor up to where they bowl to keep their body upright. I guess it depends on you.
    Last edited by Ellipsism; 1st July 2017 at 07:31.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bro how's the bowling going?

@aloo paratha

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    375 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Bro how's the bowling going?

@aloo paratha
    Thanks for asking

Well I tried to stay upright, but I feel like I was being like too extra with it, like literally trying to be perfectly straight. So I'm kinda trying to get an in between. I'm trying to run through the follow throw more though.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    Thanks for asking

Well I tried to stay upright, but I feel like I was being like too extra with it, like literally trying to be perfectly straight. So I'm kinda trying to get an in between. I'm trying to run through the follow throw more though.
    You're welcome

Nice that you're working on your bowling technique.

Just make sure you don't over do it.

Otherwise you will turn into Indian pacer.

Be natural and aggressive.

Instead of your action now, focus on where the ball goes.

Practice line and length.

Bowl bouncer after bouncer. Hitting the batsman's head with every ball.
    If you are playing alone, just imagine a guy batting and where his head is. Also do off/middle stump bouncer. This is also effective.

Keep doing this and you will have a lethal bouncer.

Bowl yorker after yorker. Put two rocks as the batsman's feet and keep hitting them. Break the damn rocks with those yorkers. Keep your line at the stumps, but also practice the wide yorker too.

Keep doing this and you will have a toe crushing yorker.

Have a full fast pace delivery up your sleeve at all times. When practicing, just bowl around 5 straight deliveries at full pace. Line should be from between fourth and middle stump and length not too full and not too short. Now these are your only fast balls. Other balls can be fast, but these are your fastest balls. Make sure you vary your pace. Have three gears. Slow ball, regular pace, and fast ball.

As for variations, they are plenty to work on. Get an off-cutter, leg-cutter and back of the hand slower ball. Your regular slow ball should just be by rolling the fingers over the ball. Practice that. Don't change arm-speed for slow ball otherwise batsman will know. Even try knuckle-ball if you want, look at Andrew Tye's video and how he gives it. Slow ball is important.

These things I am telling you because regardless of which ball you are using or which pitch you are playing on, they will always be effective. Swing depends on the condition of ball, but I'm sure you already know how to do that.

I just fear you are working too much on the action. Keep working on it slowly, no major changes. Mostly work on line and length, pace, and variations.
    Last edited by Rayyman; 13th July 2017 at 16:29.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    375 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    @Rayyman

I go out and practice line and length every day, I have an imaginary box where I want to land the ball every time and I'm pretty successful at doing so. I try to get it in that box while bowling at full speed because that is the real challenge.

I have a decent yorker as well.

Variation is something I could and probably should work on. I have a nice off cutter but apart from that nothing really.

the biggest problem though is that this is all on my driveway. I haven't had enough experience of bowling on an actual cricket pitch. Everything changes, the yorker I'm bowling on my driveway is like a good length delivery, and I find it difficult to bowl a yorker on a cricket pitch. It'll take time but I don't get to bowl on a cricket pitch that often, but what you do in games is what matters.

I have a game tomorrow, debut T20 game, wish me luck

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    @Rayyman

I go out and practice line and length every day, I have an imaginary box where I want to land the ball every time and I'm pretty successful at doing so. I try to get it in that box while bowling at full speed because that is the real challenge.

I have a decent yorker as well.

Variation is something I could and probably should work on. I have a nice off cutter but apart from that nothing really.

the biggest problem though is that this is all on my driveway. I haven't had enough experience of bowling on an actual cricket pitch. Everything changes, the yorker I'm bowling on my driveway is like a good length delivery, and I find it difficult to bowl a yorker on a cricket pitch. It'll take time but I don't get to bowl on a cricket pitch that often, but what you do in games is what matters.

I have a game tomorrow, debut T20 game, wish me luck
    Go on the other side of the street and throw the ball at the wicket one bounce with round arm action. In fact, to gain strength you can even try hitting the garage no bounce or the roof.