Venue
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

On this day in 2009: Fawad Alam scored 168 vs Sri Lanka

On this day in 2009 Fawad Alam made 168 vs Sri Lanka. 2 Tests later he was dropped & hasn't played a Test since then.

Without Pakistan we have nothing....

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why was he dropped?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebreaker View Post
    Why was he dropped?
    such a shame..utmost consistent batsman scores a century n gets dropped!!! I think he got chance in place of i think Misbah or Younis who were not part of that match due to injury/suspension (dont remember), when they came back he was dropped eventually...

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very shame....05 years of a youngster wasted by selfish peoples
    these are the seniors for you

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    DOHA-Rwp-London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    618 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Why was he dropped?
    Still remains a mystery . He scored a couple of 16's and got dropped after that.

Interested in talking about your own game? Click on My Cricket

Follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    He was dropped because he is very one dimensional and really ugly to watch.

Also, can't hit sixes and very susceptible against short-pitched bowling.
    Last edited by Mamoon; 15th July 2014 at 07:10.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Why was he dropped?
    Because they needed Ocean's eleven for their shenanigans like that Sydney test.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post

I admit that hitting sixes should be the benchmark of a test batsman, but why do you find him ugly to watch? Not cute enough like de Kock?

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    DOHA-Rwp-London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    618 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Whats the got to do with Test Matches??

Yes he is ugly to watch so is Trott , Chanderpaul , Smith and Cook but as long a player is getting runs dont give a crap to how ugly to watch they may be

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    His batting stance is quite dreadful and so are his shots. As far as looks are concerned, he can be pretty decent if he gets rid of the caveman facial hair and the unibrow.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    GanGsta Land
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Test Avg 42

Odi Avg 47

List A Avg 49

First Class Avg 56

Conclusion : Dropped from the squad #PCB

I am going to name my son "Intikhab Alam" so that he will never lose his job.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    He's not half the batsman those four are.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He's not half the batsman those four are.
    I kind of disagree with you...if looking ugly is an issue than u mean Chanderpaul must not hv represented West Indies? or Fawad Alam should not be playing for Pakistan even in a batting line up with full of inconsistent batsman just coz they look good on eyes? how would it benefit the team than?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Chanderpaul is a much better batsman. Fawad is nothing special and he isn't aesthetically pleasing either.

You can get away with the latter if you are a great player. For example Steve Waugh.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    DOHA-Rwp-London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    618 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    And plus he has only played 3 Tests how can you judge how good or bad/ugly he is?? You're not a selector nor an ex cricketer and im sure haven't played enough cricket yourself.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Judging from what I've seen and an ugly player will remain ugly forever and so will a beautiful player. It's natural.

I don't value the opinion of selectors and ex cricketers, especially in Pakistan and they don't seem to rate him much either. He isn't the worst player in the world, but he is not the messiah of Pakistan batting either.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Chanderpaul is a much better batsman. Fawad is nothing special and he isn't aesthetically pleasing either.

You can get away with the latter if you are a great player. For example Steve Waugh.
    U claim Chanderpaul is better just coz he has played soo much of cricket!! u can not predict the same for Fawad...plus Chanderpaul is as ugly as any one

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Chanderpaul is better because he is. Nothing to do with how much cricket he has played. Yes he's terribly ugly too.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Judging from what I've seen and an ugly player will remain ugly forever and so will a beautiful player. It's natural.

I don't value the opinion of selectors and ex cricketers, especially in Pakistan and they don't seem to rate him much either. He isn't the worst player in the world, but he is not the messiah of Pakistan batting either.
    No one is claiming he is a messiah !!! but he is better than many in Pakistan

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Aap key Dil main
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is far better than CLH Umar Amin, Faisal Iqbal....

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only player in the history of cricket to
    - score a 150+ on debut
    - away from home
    - in the second innings of a test match after the team had been bowled out for 90 in the 1st innings.
    - batting as an opener, not his natural position.

Sent to bat at 1 down in NZ which is not his natural position against the likes of Shane Bond and then dropped immediately after on the pretext of having a dubious technique.

Puts a price on his wicket and plays the game according to the situation. He should be playing at the number 6 spot ahead of Shafiq if the criterion for selection is the number of runs scored and not how pretty one looks at the crease.

Pakistani batsmen - An endangered species?

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silly Point View Post
    Because they needed Ocean's eleven for their shenanigans like that Sydney test.
    So true.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does he deserve it?
    That should not even be a question. The question, why is he still out of the test team.
    What is the matter with our selection? I do not like to say it, but sometimes, these guys do not make sense at all.
    Apart from him, I always wondered why they dropped Asim Kamal.

The debt we owe to play of imagination is incalculable - Carl Gustav Jung

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analyst View Post
    such a shame..utmost consistent batsman scores a century n gets dropped!!! I think he got chance in place of i think Misbah or Younis who were not part of that match due to injury/suspension (dont remember), when they came back he was dropped eventually...
    but we have so many disposable players, i am sure we could have found a player to kick out for his worse performances. and he played as an opener, i doubt he was replacing younis or misbah.

The debt we owe to play of imagination is incalculable - Carl Gustav Jung

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Bury
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silly Point View Post
    I admit that hitting sixes should be the benchmark of a test batsman, but why do you find him ugly to watch? Not cute enough like de Kock?
    I think what the hijacker of all threads is thinking and attempting to say is that Fawad has a glaring flaw in his technique which has been pointed out by many an observer and commentator. This is the shuffle from leg stump to off stump for the off side shots ala Katich. He starts off with a middle or leg side guard and then suffles across to off as a trigger movement. This looks ungainly and invites the swinging in/seaming full delivery for an LBW or inside edge. But some players manage to prosper despite flaws but not Fawad. This was highlighted in faster tracks of New Zealand when he played after the Srilanka knock which was on a slow track against strictly Medium bowlers. The New Zealand series i think was a two test series so he couldnt have played more. Then he was just unlucky that bearing this flaw in mind we went off to play in Australia and he wasn't selected and I certainly wouldn't have fancied him in Brisbane or Perth. Then the infamous Tour of england in 2010. I mean, even though I am a fan of his I cant imagine him lasting long against Anderson and co on a seaming Trent Bridge wicket. But then the rest of the batters didn't exactly set the world alight. Coupled with the fact that half the team were cheats or banned and all kinds of shenanigans were going on i can see why he wasn't selected back then. One just didnt know who to trust and all sorts of names were being thrown about and disciplinary issues being highlighted.

Now though he looks a completely different sort of batsman. Mature, calculating, hungry for runs all over the park and less fidgety at the crease and most of our assignments are in the UAE and packed with ODI's leading up to the world up. Given his mental strength i would say he should be a key player in the squad. Like a Pakistani Bevan or at least a Collingwood.

Would never be sponsored by Gillette though!

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess management are not trying to overload Fawad at this stage. Ease him in ODI and get himself established. Then they will unleash him in tests.

He is pound for pound the best batsman in the country, his stats are fantastic and his mental fortitude is second to none.

If he has a couple of good ODI series we will see him in tests and hopefully good riddance to Shafiq.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Not sure what the selection committee and management are thinking but this would be a more balanced batting line up in tests

A Shehzad
    A Ali
    Y Khan
    Misbah
    F Alam
    U Akmal
    Sarfaraz

We also need a left handed batsman in our team. There is no one right now except Fawad.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fawad_wellwisher View Post
    ^ Not sure what the selection committee and management are thinking but this would be a more balanced batting line up in tests

A Shehzad
    A Ali
    Y Khan
    Misbah
    F Alam
    U Akmal
    Sarfaraz

We also need a left handed batsman in our team. There is no one right now except Fawad.
    not to mention fawad gives you the 6th bowler option, decent part timer, i hop mushtaq ahmed also works a bit with him

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Connecticut
    Runs
    Mentioned
    673 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Plz explain to us HOW Chanderpaul is better batsmen than Fawad or else obviously you lose the argument.

“I've never lost a game I just ran out of time.” Micheal Jordan

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only player in the history of cricket to
    - score a 150+ on debut
    - away from home

- in the second innings of a test match after the team had been bowled out for 90 in the 1st innings.
    - batting as an opener, not his natural position.

Sent to bat at 1 down in NZ which is not his natural position against the likes of Shane Bond and then dropped immediately after on the pretext of having a dubious technique.

Puts a price on his wicket and plays the game according to the situation. He should be playing at the number 6 spot ahead of Shafiq if the criterion for selection is the number of runs scored and not how pretty one looks at the crease.
    Agree with other things apart from this. SA Jacques Rudolph scored a double century in his debut test away from home against Bangladesh.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by world cup captain View Post
    Plz explain to us HOW Chanderpaul is better batsmen than Fawad or else obviously you lose the argument.
    Are you mad? How can you compare Fawad with Chanderpaul. Paul is a legend and Fawad is a bench warmer

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    I can't believe you are asking this question.

- Although their techniques presumably seem similar, they are different in many ways and Chanderpaul has the better and more solid technique.

- He is better against both pace and spin.

- He has a greater range of shots and more conviction

- He plays the short ball better and has superior balance.

The only thing Fawad might be better at is strike rotation but I will wait for a bigger sample. Don't think he can maintain a strike rate of 85+ in ODIs in the long run. Mid 70s at best.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    Agree with other things apart from this. SA Jacques Rudolph scored a double century in his debut test away from home against Bangladesh.
    ^OK fine eventhough it was against minnows, did he score it in the 2nd innings of a test match and out of his natural position? Imagine having to face the new ball on debut when you normally bat at 4-5.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shiv has a pretty ordinary S/R in ODIs yet managed to play in more than 250+ games simply because he has been able to maintain a healthy batting ave. of 40+.

Fawad has a unorthodox technique but given his penchant to stay at the wicket for longer periods the management needs to give him a prolonged run to see if he can adapt his game to compete against the world's best bowlers.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What the hell is this pleasing on the eye and good looking nonsense??What has that got to do with the game??Either you are good or you are don't.I could care less if Umar Amin is good looking or not when he can't seem to string two runs together.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Chanderpaul wouldn't have played 250+ ODIs for a better batting team. A really poor ODI batsman.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^OK fine eventhough it was against minnows, did he score it in the 2nd innings of a test match and out of his natural position? Imagine having to face the new ball on debut when you normally bat at 4-5.
    didnt clarke score a 150 too on his debut against india?

when tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Although their techniques presumably seem similar, they are different in many ways and Chanderpaul has the better and more solid technique.

The only thing Fawad might be better at is strike rotation but I will wait for a bigger sample. Don't think he can maintain a strike rate of 85+ in ODIs in the long run. Mid 70s at best.
    Chanderpaul wouldn't have played 250+ ODIs for a better batting team. A really poor ODI batsman.
    You mean a technically superior but poor ODI batsman who doesn't score runs quickly enough?

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    didnt clarke score a 150 too on his debut against india?
    Just checked .... yes he did but did it in the 1st innings batting at #6.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    You mean a technically superior but poor ODI batsman who doesn't score runs quickly enough?
    Fawad will have an inferior record after so many games, I don't rate him.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well fawad has been our domestic performer and international performer so he should be in the squad. Infact i was for his test comeback before an ODI comeback. Sad to see he still wont be in the test squad as i believe he can be very useful against australia. If you wont give your domestic performers chances then who will you give them too? the likes of umar,fawad and haris deserve to get a run in tests.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Connecticut
    Runs
    Mentioned
    673 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And the Paul has played more since he got the chances? I am sure if Fawad got the chances he would be the same as Paul.

“I've never lost a game I just ran out of time.” Micheal Jordan

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    625 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Fawad deserves a chance in Tests. We can judge him after 5-8 consecutive Tests.

Though he's not an ideal ODI player but again deserves more chances after the recent performances.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    2nd Room on the left
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Fawad should have been in the test squad he deserves his chance

Quote Originally Posted by Arsal_AK View Post
    If Hafeez can get two hundreds in a game anyone can.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2036 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

On this day Fawad Alam made a debut century

Eat, Sleep, Back The Team....Repeat!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1043 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

On This Day: 13th July, 2009 - Fawad Alam makes a hundred on Test debut

Pakistan won the toss and opted to bat at Colombo with Fawad batting at an unfamiliar opening position but they were bowled out for just 90 in the first innings with Kulasekara taking four wickets.

In reply, Sri Lanka were going strong at 177/3 but Gul and Ajmal took four wickets apiece to help bowl out the home side for 240, giving Pakistan a glimmer of hope.

On Day 2 in their second innings, Fawad and Manzoor put on an 85-run opening partnership until the latter fell for 38. However, Younis and Fawad put on a big partnership with Fawad reaching his maiden Test hundred off 151 balls in the closing stages of Day 2 as Sri Lanka's lead was wiped out with just one wicket down.

Fawad would go on to make 168 as he amassed a 200-run partnership with Younis but Pakistan somehow lost their last 9 wickets for 35 on Day 3, setting Sri Lanka a mediocre target of 171 which the home side ultimately chased down with ease, winning by 7 wickets.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    he should've been a Pakistan great

Unfortunately he played at a time when Pakistan management was more interested in having mediocre players rather than the greatest statistical batsmen in Pakistan domestic history

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have been a permanent fix in the test side (odi's debatable). I am often surprised as to why the likes of younis khans and the misbahs dont stand up for kids like him...

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    If only his 'Place of Birth' column listed some pind in Punjab

#MPGA

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such a shame his career has gone the way it has, would have been one of our greatest batsman.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    Such a shame his career has gone the way it has, would have been one of our greatest batsman.
    Only if he had not danced on the wicket just like he always does. And only if he had any talent to play decent fast bowlers of world cricket.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaifmazhar View Post
    Only if he had not danced on the wicket just like he always does. And only if he had any talent to play decent fast bowlers of world cricket.
    He did in tests atleast.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How has he done playing league cricket in England this year?

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish he played more test cricket.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He is not in the contract list, is he?
    (relief)

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zyrus View Post
    He did in tests atleast.
    That's why I said decent fast bowlers. His century was against SL on dusty bowl against their half pacers

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    753 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    should have got a much longer run in Tests. A failure in New Zealand and he was discarded straight away. But dont think he would have become a great can be a misbah type batsman. But would still give him a chance in the post misbah yk era could do well in uae conditions.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He would have been a better number 6 than Asad Shafiq in tests.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And in the next 8 years played only 2 test matches. How sad.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He would have been a better number 6 than Asad Shafiq in tests.
    Pick up any batsman playing FC in Pak and he will be better that Shafiq who is such a chicken hearted 'buzdil' cricketer that Pakistan fan gets frustrated just by seeing him.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaifmazhar View Post
    That's why I said decent fast bowlers. His century was against SL on dusty bowl against their half pacers
    where other players couldn't do jack

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1043 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    9 years ago etc.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Can't believe it was so long ago, felt like it was yesterday; it was an exceptional knock, I remember fawad alam saying that before the game Younis gave him a ball or something which said he would get a hundred. It was an epic performance and back then felt he would be a regular member of the team but it wasn't to be

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite what people have said about his technique, making a 168 is no fluke and against a good bowling attack no less. At the time the performance was there and, technique or not, should have been given a longer run in the test team.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    An innings that went nowhere unfortunately.