Instagram


The Cricket Paper

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 81 to 106 of 106
  1. #81
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    22,612
    Mentioned
    4229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadabFakhar View Post
    Steyn is better statistically. Vinod Kambli is better than Tendulkar statistically(better average)
    Kambli shockingly only played 17 Tests for his country ! Anyone know why ? @Varun


    Ah, so this is what it feels like

  2. #82
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    652
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Kambli shockingly only played 17 Tests for his country ! Anyone know why ? @Varun
    Only a year older than Sachin. He scored 28 in his last test, 26 more than Sachin. GOAT.

  3. #83
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    15,076
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
    Akram? Steyn is miles ahead of Akram in test. His strike rate is a world record. Akram isn't even as good as Imran
    Only on PP will find you people rating Steyn above Akram. Not many were better than Imran at his peak.

  4. #84
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    14,827
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Kambli shockingly only played 17 Tests for his country ! Anyone know why ? @Varun
    Steady decline through his career. Was more the party type, while Saching pegged in for the long term.

  5. #85
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    4,538
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadabFakhar View Post
    Steyn is better statistically. Vinod Kambli is better than Tendulkar statistically(better average)
    Except that Steyn has also taken more wickets than Akram that to at a far, far, far superior strike rate. That too in 25 fewer innings. While Kambli played just 17 Tests. Nice try though!


    If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn’t arrived yet: Viv Richards

  6. #86
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    994
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Akram has massively underperformed in the Tests, his legacy is built more on being highest wicket taker in the Odis.

    Steyn is a much more superior bowler considering he bowled mostly in the era of flat tracks, Bigger bats, advantage to batsmen and more importantly the gulf of class between him and his peers.

  7. #87
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Johannesburg
    Runs
    1,098
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadabFakhar View Post
    Only Younis and Misbah from your list. Here's the links for the Test Matches:

    http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/299005.html
    http://http://www.espncricinfo.com/c...ch/299004.html

    *In only one match he got a fiver and that too in the fourth innings*. Butt, Hafeez and Younis were his scalps of note.

    Against India, he performed well but most of his wickets were tailenders. His best perfomance came at Nagpur 2010 where he took most of his wickets against top order batsmen, South Africa had amassed a 500+ score, so hardly under any pressure to perform. This is not to disrespect him in anyway. He was a great bowler but can no way compare him against Wasim
    Wait so it's a bad thing that he got a 5fer in the 4th innings.

  8. #88
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    652
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Except that Steyn has also taken more wickets than Akram that to at a far, far, far superior strike rate. That too in 25 fewer innings. While Kambli played just 17 Tests. Nice try though!
    Nice try for what? Steyn is better statistically. End of. Steven Smith has played more matches than Kambli, his average is 60+, better than Tendulkar....statistically

  9. #89
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    652
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffer_XIII View Post
    Wait so it's a bad thing that he got a 5fer in the 4th innings.
    No, but the ball is known to stay low and reverse. Pakistani wickets are notorious for doing silly things on the fifth day. Still a good performance but not as great had it been Inzi, Moyo and YK been playing.

  10. #90
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    4,538
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadabFakhar View Post
    Nice try for what? Steyn is better statistically. End of. Steven Smith has played more matches than Kambli, his average is 60+, better than Tendulkar....statistically
    Nice try for trying to equate Steyn's superiority in every department (average, strike rate, wickets) over Akram with Kambli's better average than Sachin.

    Steven Smith has played 54 Tests, a little more than 1/4th of the Tests Sachin has played.


    If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn’t arrived yet: Viv Richards

  11. #91
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    652
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Nice try for trying to equate Steyn's superiority in every department (average, strike rate, wickets) over Akram with Kambli's better average than Sachin.

    Steven Smith has played 54 Tests, a little more than 1/4th of the Tests Sachin has played.
    Steve Smith has a better average. Simple statistic. Now you're bringing in factors of longevity. We could go to Kallis, even.

    The point is that statistically there are better bowlers than Steyn. All depends on which stat you choose. Ambrose has a better average than Steyn. But no one in their right mind would choose Ambrose over Akram.

    Stats are only part of the story for a great bowler.
    Last edited by ShadabFakhar; 18th July 2017 at 16:41.

  12. #92
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    5,454
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadabFakhar View Post
    Steve Smith has a better average. Simple statistic. Now you're bringing in factors of longevity. We could go to Kallis, even.

    The point is that statistically there are better bowlers than Steyn. All depends on which stat you choose. Ambrose has a better average than Steyn. But no one in their right mind would choose Ambrose over Akram.

    Stats are only part of the story for a great bowler.
    Ambrose was a superior test bowler than Akram.

  13. #93
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    994
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ambrose, Marshall, Waqar, Steyn are comfortably better Test Bowlers than Wasim Akram.

  14. #94
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    652
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by czar View Post
    Ambrose, Marshall, Waqar, Steyn are comfortably better Test Bowlers than Wasim Akram.
    Not comfortably, probably.

  15. #95
    Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    616
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadabFakhar View Post
    Not comfortably, probably.
    Steyn is comfortably better than Akram in every parameter

  16. #96
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    1,067
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
    Steyn is comfortably better than Akram in every parameter
    every parameter? wasim is 100x the bowler steyn was in odis. he won pak a wc final while steyn got destroyed by a nobody like elliot.

  17. #97
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    994
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    every parameter? wasim is 100x the bowler steyn was in odis. he won pak a wc final while steyn got destroyed by a nobody like elliot.
    Agree in Odis, Steyn is a nothing bowler in shorter format compared to Wasim.

    However, we are talking about Tests where Steyn is comfortably ahead.

  18. #98
    Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    616
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    every parameter? wasim is 100x the bowler steyn was in odis. he won pak a wc final while steyn got destroyed by a nobody like elliot.
    I am talking about test. Steyn's ODI career isn't even as good as Zaheer Khan's so it's useless comparing him to any ODI atg

  19. #99
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    1,067
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
    I am talking about test. Steyn's ODI career isn't even as good as Zaheer Khan's so it's useless comparing him to any ODI atg
    steyn does not have a wonderful record against 2 of the 3 best batting sides of his era (aus and eng).

    he also has the luxury of playing for sa which has been a top class batting side throughout his career which means that he did not have to bowl to some of the best batsmen of his time and often had to bowl to batsmen who had to deal with huge scoreboard pressure.

    he has also had a top class fielding unit to back him up and the luxury of bowling regularly in excellent conditions like sa. he is also rested frequently from odis and t20s which allowed him to get rest frequently

    he is a great bowler and best of his era but people give him too much credit. he is not a class above wasim etc and other greats of the past. wasim had a weak batting lineup compared to other teams and did not have great fielders. he also had to bowl on some extremely flat pitches and he rarely got rest from any series or matches.

    steyn's biggest achievement is his excellent record in india against a very tough line up. but to say that he is in the top 5 bowlers of all time and comfortably beats wasim is not true at all.

  20. #100
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Johannesburg
    Runs
    1,098
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    steyn does not have a wonderful record against 2 of the 3 best batting sides of his era (aus and eng).

    he also has the luxury of playing for sa which has been a top class batting side throughout his career which means that he did not have to bowl to some of the best batsmen of his time and often had to bowl to batsmen who had to deal with huge scoreboard pressure.

    he has also had a top class fielding unit to back him up and the luxury of bowling regularly in excellent conditions like sa. he is also rested frequently from odis and t20s which allowed him to get rest frequently

    he is a great bowler and best of his era but people give him too much credit. he is not a class above wasim etc and other greats of the past. wasim had a weak batting lineup compared to other teams and did not have great fielders. he also had to bowl on some extremely flat pitches and he rarely got rest from any series or matches.

    steyn's biggest achievement is his excellent record in india against a very tough line up. but to say that he is in the top 5 bowlers of all time and comfortably beats wasim is not true at all.
    I love how you list a variety of excuses for denigrating Steyn but at no point have you given a credible argument for how Akram is a better test bowler.

  21. #101
    Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    7,717
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffer_XIII View Post
    I love how you list a variety of excuses for denigrating Steyn but at no point have you given a credible argument for how Akram is a better test bowler.
    It's a simple argument...Steyn is considered better due to
    -easier batting environment/flatter pitches
    -better numbers
    -only ATG pacer of this era

    Wasim is considered better due to
    -more skilled
    -worse fielders
    -weaker team with odds against him due to weak batting line up

    Weighing up the positives and negatives, an understandable case can be made for either of them however personally I'd choose Wasim as a better bowler.

  22. #102
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    22,612
    Mentioned
    4229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haz95 View Post
    It's a simple argument...Steyn is considered better due to
    -easier batting environment/flatter pitches
    -better numbers
    -only ATG pacer of this era

    Wasim is considered better due to
    -more skilled
    -worse fielders
    -weaker team with odds against him due to weak batting line up

    Weighing up the positives and negatives, an understandable case can be made for either of them however personally I'd choose Wasim as a better bowler.
    One of the biggest points which I personally overlooked which @A.A.Z made was that although things are a lot more friendly with regards to batsman these days, a lot of them are white ball specialists with poor defensive technique's which often fall victim to lateral movement; they also seem to lack the mental strength to bat for long periods as well or overcome the challenge of pressure situations and challenging wickets. Be it spin, seam or swing ; there is a very tiny number of batsman who do not falter when the going gets tough.


    Ah, so this is what it feels like

  23. #103
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    1,067
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffer_XIII View Post
    I love how you list a variety of excuses for denigrating Steyn but at no point have you given a credible argument for how Akram is a better test bowler.
    please refute these points instead of calling them "excuses".

  24. #104
    Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    7,717
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    One of the biggest points which I personally overlooked which @A.A.Z made was that although things are a lot more friendly with regards to batsman these days, a lot of them are white ball specialists with poor defensive technique's which often fall victim to lateral movement; they also seem to lack the mental strength to bat for long periods as well or overcome the challenge of pressure situations and challenging wickets. Be it spin, seam or swing ; there is a very tiny number of batsman who do not falter when the going gets tough.
    Very true. It's why Mitchell Starc (altho an ATG level ODI pacer) was running havoc in that 2015 WC. Whenever there was a little bit of juice for bowlers, the line ups would fall like a pack of cads.

  25. #105
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Johannesburg
    Runs
    1,098
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haz95 View Post
    It's a simple argument...Steyn is considered better due to
    -easier batting environment/flatter pitches
    -better numbers
    -only ATG pacer of this era

    Wasim is considered better due to
    -more skilled
    -worse fielders
    -weaker team with odds against him due to weak batting line up

    Weighing up the positives and negatives, an understandable case can be made for either of them however personally I'd choose Wasim as a better bowler.
    If that's your argument for Wasim over Steyn in tests then there's no hope for you. I mean better numbers vs worse fielders. So he's automatically better because half the team couldn't catch a cold.

  26. #106
    Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    7,717
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffer_XIII View Post
    If that's your argument for Wasim over Steyn in tests then there's no hope for you. I mean better numbers vs worse fielders. So he's automatically better because half the team couldn't catch a cold.
    That argument was a long story short, of course there are many other factors. Don't understand why you're getting so menstrual as though I said that Wasim Akram is on a different planet to Steyn or something...

    The reasons as to why Steyns numbers are better are simple...Pakistan was an awful fielding unit in the 90s and they had a very volatile line up, one which couldn't provide big targets to defend as often as the arguably ATG line up that SA had during Steyns star run. It's a one point difference, not a 10 point...

    Once the number aspect is put to side, we look at overall skill in which Wasim beats Steyn. Wasim is also a better ODI bowler, has better peer rating and has that left arm novelty factor too which altho a weak argument, still gives him a teeny advantage. Like I said before a case can be made for both, no need to act like there's ants in your pants just because I didn't pick Steyn.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •