Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1311 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Mohammad Hafeez - Underachiever or made the most of his talent?

For 14 years Mohammad Hafeez has been playing international cricket. At times he has flattered to deceive, at other times he has been excellent and sometimes absolutely awful.

He's been a player who despite his ups and downs has played 318 times for Pakistan. Some would say he has forged a career through mediocrity and playing in a period where Pakistan has failed to produce many world-class cricketers.

Is Hafeez an underachiever or has he made the most of his talent?

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He has made the most with the bat pre-WC 2015, but expired as of now according to his performances since last 2 years

If life on earth is temporary...what make you think that your problems are permanent?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not world class but mis-used like Shahid Afridi. Hafeez should hav played as a finisher batting at 5 or 6 to go hand in hand with his bowling. Batting at 5 or 6, the ball does not do as much and would have been more successful. Shahid Afridi was a genuine no.6 or 7, never an opener!

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    He's achieved exactly what his abilities dictated. Just about every shot in the book and has always had the ability to play every type of bowling. I can't think of any weakness apart from between his ears. He's like a lot of Pakistani batsmen, a combination of selfish attitude and lack of batting brain.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biggest HTB/FTB in history with the bat. Barely economical at best with the ball in his heyday. Average cricketer on the whole. Never seen any major flashes of brilliance in challenging conditions from him anyway to suggest he could have been better.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    He's achieved exactly what his abilities dictated. Just about every shot in the book and has always had the ability to play every type of bowling. I can't think of any weakness apart from between his ears. He's like a lot of Pakistani batsmen, a combination of selfish attitude and lack of batting brain.
    can't play swing at all

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Was a decent ODI opener from 2010 to 2014 and after that, a liability for the most part.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He can be selfish etc but he doesn't deserve the hate he gets. He has also played lots of very important innings in important matches.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Underachiever.

You just have to watch Hafeez and see how sweetly he times the ball and range of shots when he's on form. He looks like he should have been a better batsman than he is. One of the most pleasing aesthetically on the eyes, and I think there's a reason for that.

Post 2010 however he has performed decently and been an asset in all formats. He outperformed every other opener we had in tests during that period up to Azhar moving up and Sami coming to the team. In ODIs he has the second best numbers with bat alone after Misbah until recently with the emergence of Babar and rise of Sarfraz. And of course was handy with the ball for a long period of time.

If we look at ODIs, here what he averages since 2010: 37,37,26, 46,30,41, 41, 42. That isn't half bad at all for an extended period. His bowling exploits were very useful coming in at an economy of low 4/mid 3 runs per over until about 2015. For the majority of time post 2010, he made it in as a batsman or a bowler.

In tests, an average near 40 is nothing to laugh at, and given our standard of openers, he is the best opener we had since Anwar until Azhar moved up. Yes an asian bully, but at least he brought in runs somewhere, was still a cut above guys like Farhat,Masood, Khurram, Butt etc. and brought utility with the ball.

Hafeez performed better in a period where most failed, yes but people acting like he kept out someone better are a bit deluded, we tried out many, many cricketers during that period who either lost form or didn't deliver. He held his spot in the team and was one of the most valuable players on all round performance and then at the latter times bat alone until recently. Think it goes to show despite looking past it he's still averaging over 40 these days,showing it's relatively easier to perform with the bat these days. Not that the others like Babar, Sarfraz aren't outperforming him, they're better than him by some distance clearly.

I don't believe he was wasted top order either. The whole point of him batting top order was wasted either, we had a lack of options in the top order, Jamshed fell away, Sharjeel was only discovered last year/two years ago. Fakhar only a few games ago lol. By Hafeez batting top order, at the time this gave us more freedom to try out middle order/late order batsmen like Asad, Maqsood, Umar Akmal, fawad alam Rizwan etc.With the pakistani players in general terrible against the new ball, Hafeez was a good sacrifical lamb against it, allowing the others to come in later. Yes he probably would have done better lower order, but I was not prepared to have him there when we had a lot of promising middle order talent to try out. His position in the top order was for the good of the team.

Now however his time looks up,his teammates are outperforming him unlike before, he looks shaky, out of form, his reflexes gone and really deteriorated with the ball. Don't see much point continuing with him. But yeah underrated cricketer.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he acheived more than that he desrved because of better communication skills and cunning character..

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Hafeez may be a HTB, but people need to remember before him we tried a litany of openers who couldn't even perform on flat tracks. Be it Salman Butt, Imran Farhat, Imran Nazir, Yasir Hameed, Khurrum Manzoor - none of them could nail down a place and perform consistently.

He did secure one of the opening spots for a period of time whilst providing good support to Saeed Ajmal with the ball. He was vital in controlling the run rate during middle overs of ODIs. He also provided a crucial 5th bowling option in Tests.

However he's always been weak against lateral movement making him a sitting duck outside Asia. Given we tour England next May and South Africa next winter - Hafeez would only be a liability.

There may be a place for him at #6 in ODIs, providing Sarfraz moves up the order, and he swallows his ego. But I'd rather we move on from someone who'll be 39 by the next World Cup.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    made must of his bit and piece talent in bowling, batting and fielding. His bowling played great role in many Pak ODI wins.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    depends on how you assess his talent and temperament
    Since his temperament for the big moments was shaky, I would say he achieved as best as he could with his talent.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hafeez is a joke. Nothing player who made a career out of bashing minnows.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Useful at times and played a few memorable blinders e. g. Aane Do series and CT final. But has been mediocre for large stretches of games.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Hafeez may be a HTB, but people need to remember before him we tried a litany of openers who couldn't even perform on flat tracks. Be it Salman Butt, Imran Farhat, Imran Nazir, Yasir Hameed, Khurrum Manzoor - none of them could nail down a place and perform consistently.

He did secure one of the opening spots for a period of time whilst providing good support to Saeed Ajmal with the ball. He was vital in controlling the run rate during middle overs of ODIs. He also provided a crucial 5th bowling option in Tests.

However he's always been weak against lateral movement making him a sitting duck outside Asia. Given we tour England next May and South Africa next winter - Hafeez would only be a liability.

There may be a place for him at #6 in ODIs, providing Sarfraz moves up the order, and he swallows his ego. But I'd rather we move on from someone who'll be 39 by the next World Cup.
    Salman Butt as a HTB > Hafeez as a HTB bully.

However, as you mentioned, Hafeez did provide that extra bowling option.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made the most out of his talent. My honest assessment on him - an awful cricketer.

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn’t arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a utility man. I think he's underachieved. He doesn't help himself however since we know he's a good cricketer but he just chooses not to play in the right position in the XI. Really could've been such a good middle-order/lower order batsman.

But as many have said, his bowling was very useful and in most cases was the reason he was kept in the team despite such mediocre stats.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No i dont think he underachieved.
    But he has to retire now.

Debut
    Feb 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He has made the most out of his talent. He doesn't have much talent in batting, bowling or fielding, but his biggest talent is making great connections with the right people to ensure his stable place in the team of 14 long years.

Let me tell you something if you want to rate a cricketer just go ask some neutral cricket fans from other places like Eng, AUS, SA, India, etc. We as Pakistanis can be biased and you wont get a full picture of Mr Hafeez cricketing achievements from us fans. But I can assure you something that all neutral fans would agree that when Hafeez walks out to bat no opposition player even flinches to the idea that he would take the game to them. In short after 14 years of playing cricket primarily as a batsman he is not a batsman any opposition would be afraid of and the same goes for Malik.

Let me tell you something the kind of knock Fakhar played and type of captain Sarfraz is these are players the opposition now fears as they can lift the team from down (same goes for Amir and Hasan). Trust me when these players retire their legacies will be made from respect they earned from their oppositions. Hafeez and Malik have no opposition respect unfortunately and therefore no legacy.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ads101 View Post
    Underachiever.

You just have to watch Hafeez and see how sweetly he times the ball and range of shots when he's on form. He looks like he should have been a better batsman than he is. One of the most pleasing aesthetically on the eyes, and I think there's a reason for that.

Post 2010 however he has performed decently and been an asset in all formats. He outperformed every other opener we had in tests during that period up to Azhar moving up and Sami coming to the team. In ODIs he has the second best numbers with bat alone after Misbah until recently with the emergence of Babar and rise of Sarfraz. And of course was handy with the ball for a long period of time.

If we look at ODIs, here what he averages since 2010: 37,37,26, 46,30,41, 41, 42. That isn't half bad at all for an extended period. His bowling exploits were very useful coming in at an economy of low 4/mid 3 runs per over until about 2015. For the majority of time post 2010, he made it in as a batsman or a bowler.

In tests, an average near 40 is nothing to laugh at, and given our standard of openers, he is the best opener we had since Anwar until Azhar moved up. Yes an asian bully, but at least he brought in runs somewhere, was still a cut above guys like Farhat,Masood, Khurram, Butt etc. and brought utility with the ball.

Hafeez performed better in a period where most failed, yes but people acting like he kept out someone better are a bit deluded, we tried out many, many cricketers during that period who either lost form or didn't deliver. He held his spot in the team and was one of the most valuable players on all round performance and then at the latter times bat alone until recently. Think it goes to show despite looking past it he's still averaging over 40 these days,showing it's relatively easier to perform with the bat these days. Not that the others like Babar, Sarfraz aren't outperforming him, they're better than him by some distance clearly.

I don't believe he was wasted top order either. The whole point of him batting top order was wasted either, we had a lack of options in the top order, Jamshed fell away, Sharjeel was only discovered last year/two years ago. Fakhar only a few games ago lol. By Hafeez batting top order, at the time this gave us more freedom to try out middle order/late order batsmen like Asad, Maqsood, Umar Akmal, fawad alam Rizwan etc.With the pakistani players in general terrible against the new ball, Hafeez was a good sacrifical lamb against it, allowing the others to come in later. Yes he probably would have done better lower order, but I was not prepared to have him there when we had a lot of promising middle order talent to try out. His position in the top order was for the good of the team.

Now however his time looks up,his teammates are outperforming him unlike before, he looks shaky, out of form, his reflexes gone and really deteriorated with the ball. Don't see much point continuing with him. But yeah underrated cricketer.
    Excellent post. Agree with this

Aanay do!

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once in an interview couple of years ago he said he never rated his bowling and saw himself as a batsman - since he's a deluded cricketer and a self-proclaimed PROFESSOR LOOL!

This is where he's gone wrong and where the management haven't stepped up their efforts to put him where he belongs i.e. an economical spin bowling all rounder with some batting ability who should have batted lower down the order because he's never delivered in big matches at the top of the order.

CT final showed he's a better batsman coming lower down when the onus on him to score the bulk of the runs is relieved.

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Not as talented as Shoaib Malik who has all the flair and wags etc
    But hes done well , he just has a little too much headteacher character aroundhim and looks like the only time hes had a detention was when he corrected the teacher on a spelling error

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2425 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Always had a soft spot for him.

Utility cricketer, and I think his overall stats are a good reflection of his career and his ability. Could've been better, but could've also been worse (considering the man didn't even average 20 with the bat pre 2010 comeback).

If he can keep playing at #6 and can play selflessly and aggressively, I wouldn't mind keeping him until the 2019 WC, keeping his bowling in mind. Otherwise, the end is near.

Regardless, Hafeez has been a great servant of Pakistan cricket from 2010-2015 and I respect him for that.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has done well. Had a dream spell with the bat in odis for a few years from 2012-15

Was always reliable with the ball until 2015.
    Solid performer especially in sub con where we play 70 percent of put cricket

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overachiever.
    Lucky to be playing in an era of easy batting especially in odis and in tests got lucky because of playing most of his cricket in UAE. We have and had much better players than him.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chacha kashmiri View Post
    Not as talented as Shoaib Malik who has all the flair and wags etc
    But hes done well , he just has a little too much headteacher character aroundhim and looks like the only time hes had a detention was when he corrected the teacher on a spelling error
    Interesting point. Who was better - Hafeez or Malik? I reckon Hafeez if we take into account tests as well.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Only Misbah knew how to use him up properly.

Before Misbah took over, Hafeez had a terrible career. His stats were poor.

But then he was properly transformed into a proper 5th bowling option. People dont realize this, but Hafeez has played a major part in Pakistan wins. His part is equivalent to what Saeed Ajmal did for Pakistan.

Difference between the two were, Ajmal was a wicket taking option, while hafeez was the 5ht bowling economical option

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreePalestine View Post
    Interesting point. Who was better - Hafeez or Malik? I reckon Hafeez if we take into account tests as well.
    Difficult. Up to 2008 Malik, beyond that Hafeez. While for most of the time I've seen play Hafeez obviously has been more valuable, but I can't deny that Malik was someone who was one of our most reliable bats up to 2008 when I was very young that's why he's well known.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    For 14 years Mohammad Hafeez has been playing international cricket. At times he has flattered to deceive, at other times he has been excellent and sometimes absolutely awful.

He's been a player who despite his ups and downs has played 318 times for Pakistan. Some would say he has forged a career through mediocrity and playing in a period where Pakistan has failed to produce many world-class cricketers.

He is exactly what his stats say he is. The sample size is too vast for it to be any other way.

Modern ODIs are played on flat, grassless wickets with no slip cordon and a white Kookaburra ball which only moves for around 3 overs if at all.

So Hafeez can be a good Number 3 in ODIs.

In Tests he can do well in the sort of grassless, low bounce conditions in which Taslim Arif, Wasim Akram and Shoaib Malik scored Test double centuries.

But put him in a Test match on a sporting wicket with a slip cordon, and his technical deficiencies make him the Second Worst Batsman In Cricket History.

And at almost 37 years of age, it ain't going to get better.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Rawalpindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Overachieved

With an atrocious game against a moving ball, constant fading in pressure situations, being allowed to extend his arm for good part of his career and his obstinate attitude of refusal to accept his shortcomings as his statements like 'I have bowled with the same action for last ten years' and 'I will settle the score with Steyn' reflect, he has still managed to be one of the highest paid Pakistani cricketers and has played over 300+ matches for the country.

The fact that he has played his best ODI innings in his most recent match shows valuable he has been to Pakistan over the years.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hafeez is an average cricketer he is in the team because of player power and relations with the board members.
    people are saying he is a finisher shd bat at no.6 no.5after that 1 innings against india.
    Its very easy to finish against part timer jadavh average spinner haing an off day jadeja kumar who is 135 max at the depth.HAFEEZ didnt hit a 6 to BUMRAH only hit him 1 boundary despite bumrah having completely off day was bcz of his pace 142
    He cant simply finish when starc cummins /steyn rabada etc is bowling in the depth

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post

Hafeez is the symbol of the mediocrity when it comes to the sort of average players we have had to pick over last 15 years, hes had an easy ride at times in the team as a so called "All rounder"

An average player and major underachiever as a player.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has been an inconsistent and selfish player, but I don't think he has underachieved. For the simple reason he doesn't have any more talent. In other words, he has made the most of his limited talent which at worst has shown him up to be a TTF, and at best has shown him to be a mediocre player who has stayed on for too long.

The fact he has played international cricket for so long, despite having such limited talent and so many poor performances is a "remarkable" feat.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hafeez has been seen by team management as an ideal cricketer for Asian/UAE conditions for the pakistan team, anywhere elses hes been a passenger. He shouldnt even be in the LOI teams now as come the next ODI world cup hes hardly have got any better as a player.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True FTB.. could have been better if he played #6 #7 as a hitter like Razzq. Nothing player cashed in with his bowling and kept playing as a opener and #3.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    underachieved miserably with the bat but overachieved with the ball

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Only Misbah knew how to use him up properly.

Before Misbah took over, Hafeez had a terrible career. His stats were poor.

But then he was properly transformed into a proper 5th bowling option. People dont realize this, but Hafeez has played a major part in Pakistan wins. His part is equivalent to what Saeed Ajmal did for Pakistan.

Difference between the two were, Ajmal was a wicket taking option, while hafeez was the 5ht bowling economical option
    For some reasons, Misbah didn't extract the best out of MoHa in away Tests. In 13 Tests outside Asia, against ENG, SAF, NZ, WI & ZIM, he averages <18 - that's with bat. If I take out 3 Tests against ZIM, it's around 12, again with bat. This is a period when, under Misbah he averages 55+ in home (Asia) Tests.

May be, it might happen that Misbah transformed him for those away tours (probably all 13 at stress, that PAK played out side Asia under Misbah from NZ in 2010-11 to his last Test at Birmingham in 2016) into a bowler & backed him for his on field intellectual support.
    Last edited by MMHS; 17th July 2017 at 18:02.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    One of the few Pakistanis on earth to be benefited from 0309 events & ONLY PAK cricketer to be benefited from the top 2 disasters of PAK cricket in this millennium.

That 2010 Fixing events allowed him to make a come back in the team, led by his FC team mate Misbah, with a batting stats of 18/58 from 50 ODIs, as opener. Then, that 0309 event availed him lots of matches on the dead slow & low UAE wickets, where he kept his nose afloat by lots of SRL bashing & his chucking - that allowed his 50+/85+ batting stats & <35/<4.0 bowling stats, because even in his golden era, in those 4 years, he had ODI batting average of around <25/<75 in ODIs outside Asia. If I take out his 3 ODI in ZIM 2013, here his master class won PAK the series 2-1 & availed a MoS for him, this stats should reach around pre 2010 era. Even the deadest of PAK wickets has at least 1 hour of moisture in morning starts - couple of full Test series in PAK, with the same amount of toss wins by Misbah means MoHa taking the new ball on 1st morning - I don't see him surviving more than handful of Tests, even if those UAE Tests were hosted in PAK, particularly at Faisalabad & North.

And, this guy is instrumental in costing at least 2/3 Intentional careers - Taufique Umar for sure in Test & couple of near misses in ODI. ODI can be accepted & explained, because till he was allowed to chuck, he was indeed one of the best all-rounders of the LO game; but without Misbah, his Test career would have ended in 2008.

Under/over - I am not sure, because I still am trying to figure out what is the sum of his genuine achievements, in a career entering probably 18th year & looks like going strong for another 2/3 - and people bashes Afridi left, right & centre.......

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    United States
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though I tend find him more problematic than useful, those innings that he played against England and India in the CT were champion knocks. He played like a top 10 ten batsman, oozing confidence and a healthy strike rate. Idk, if (big IF) he continues to play like that, he could certainly be useful as a lower-order batsman/allrounder in 2019. He was way more useful than Malik during the CT, but it seems like there is more love for Malik than Hafeez so....

"Our caravan leader is the pride of the world, Mustafa"

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hafeez is nothing more than a liability for this team. A player who has made his career out of politics and bashing minnows. I cannot understand for the life of me that how can such a horrible player of swing bowling be labeled as an opener.
    Someone who has never, in a span of 14 years, made a single 100 in Australia, England or South Africa, in any format. Someone who has been bullied repeatedly by the top bowlers (especially Pacers) in the world. Someone who ran his teammates out the most number of times in the recent past. Someone who is responsible for grouping, team politics etc and dropping amir's catches on a number of occassions for personal hatred. And what not.
    Yes, he is a decent enough bowler, but having always been gifted with super-talented bowlers we cannot afford to carry such a liability. He is an average batsman who pretty much gives up in front of quality bowling line ups or difficult playing conditions.
    Concluding all this, I personally think having openers like sharjeel, fakhar, Farhan, Sami, imam, Azhar, and middle order batsmen like Babar, Malik, Harris, sarfraz, Asad, fawad and other talented youngsters, it is the time for the selectors to send him home for good.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    He can be selfish etc but he doesn't deserve the hate he gets. He has also played lots of very important innings in important matches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Square Drive View Post
    Always had a soft spot for him.

Utility cricketer, and I think his overall stats are a good reflection of his career and his ability. Could've been better, but could've also been worse (considering the man didn't even average 20 with the bat pre 2010 comeback).

If he can keep playing at #6 and can play selflessly and aggressively, I wouldn't mind keeping him until the 2019 WC, keeping his bowling in mind. Otherwise, the end is near.

Regardless, Hafeez has been a great servant of Pakistan cricket from 2010-2015 and I respect him for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah View Post
    He has done well. Had a dream spell with the bat in odis for a few years from 2012-15

Was always reliable with the ball until 2015.
    Solid performer especially in sub con where we play 70 percent of put cricket
    tumblr_myf1rv0qNe1sgm52io4_r1_400.gif (400×218)
    Last edited by Rayyman; 19th July 2017 at 03:11.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Little bit of underachievement but Hafeez has been a crucial component of our ODI and T-20 team. As far as he is concerned, from a financial point of view he has made it in Pakistan Cricket and he should be able to take care of himself after retirement

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He underachieved in the first part of his career 2003-2007 where he avereged 18 at a SR of 60.
    but after his comeback in 2010 he became vital part of ODI team.

Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The way I see him is that he's a a decent cricketer who failed to show up when the going got tough.

He always performed with the bat against the easier teams and when he did perform against the bigger teams it was usually when the pressure was off. This was evident in the CT when hafeez performed only when the match was virtually won in the semi final just like the way performed in the final when the platform was set by the openers. It was still a fine innings nonetheless but would he have peformed if our openers didn't give us that fantastic start? I'm not really sure about it.

Even if you look at his stats from all the previous icc events his batting stats don't look very good, which reiterates that he was a bit of a bottler.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayreddin View Post
    Though I tend find him more problematic than useful, those innings that he played against England and India in the CT were champion knocks. He played like a top 10 ten batsman, oozing confidence and a healthy strike rate. Idk, if (big IF) he continues to play like that, he could certainly be useful as a lower-order batsman/allrounder in 2019. He was way more useful than Malik during the CT, but it seems like there is more love for Malik than Hafeez so....
    The guys been a general failure as a player over yet he all off a sudden could be a good lower order batsmen? Based on what? One knock in CT final?

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j_kazmi View Post
    The way I see him is that he's a a decent cricketer who failed to show up when the going got tough.

He always performed with the bat against the easier teams and when he did perform against the bigger teams it was usually when the pressure was off. This was evident in the CT when hafeez performed only when the match was virtually won in the semi final just like the way performed in the final when the platform was set by the openers. It was still a fine innings nonetheless but would he have peformed if our openers didn't give us that fantastic start? I'm not really sure about it.

Even if you look at his stats from all the previous icc events his batting stats don't look very good, which reiterates that he was a bit of a bottler.
    POTW effort here! 100% Agree.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    840 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hold a different opinion. I think he punched above his weight. He isn't as talented as people believe him to be and he has MASSIVE mental issues, but he has managed to eek out a decade or so long career for Pakistan. At some parts he even looked like our best batsman. Now in a team like Pakistan that isn't saying much, but it is still a feather in Prof's cap. He also was consistently ranked as one of the best alrounders in the world before his action troubles. The troika of Hafeez, Ajmal and Afridi were instrumental in several victories for us.

Inzi is the best selector in the world

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He has made the most of his talent. Scoring on Asian tracks and flat pitches is level. Any pitche that offers something for the bowlers and he will be back in the pavilion.

His bowling was economical and he did a decent job . Maybe he could have been used a middle order batsmen and he may have been seen differently.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    A very gifted batsman who is one of the. Ingest bottlers of all time.

Don't rate his bowling as he chucks.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    Overachiever.
    Lucky to be playing in an era of easy batting especially in odis and in tests got lucky because of playing most of his cricket in UAE. We have and had much better players than him.
    Got extremely lucky in CT too.
    Missed stumping in semi final. Got out bowled in final but bails didnt dislodge. Luck ho to aisi...

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Good lower order batter.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    In your dil, but not in your dimaag.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    855 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j_kazmi View Post

Agree with everything but the bit about the final. That was a true clutch innings. He was the last recognized batsman, Malik bottled it, Babar didn't stick around, Sarfraz was not and does not have the ability to hit quick runs at a high SR late in the innings, and we saw what Imad did.

Had he bottled it yet again and made a duck or something, there's a good chance India would've given us a massive scare or chased it down as no one else would've given us the late order flourish.

He was the difference at the end between 338 and 288.

Swing it like Akram, whack it like Afridi, live it like Inti.

Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    Agree with everything but the bit about the final. That was a true clutch innings. He was the last recognized batsman, Malik bottled it, Babar didn't stick around, Sarfraz was not and does not have the ability to hit quick runs at a high SR late in the innings, and we saw what Imad did.

Had he bottled it yet again and made a duck or something, there's a good chance India would've given us a massive scare or chased it down as no one else would've given us the late order flourish.

Yeah I agree it was a crucial innings as it was but considering the late order batsmen we had it was even more imperative that he performed.

But is still don't think he would have performed if the openers and babar gave us that platform as I'm sure he would've bottled it under the pressure of building a huge total.

It was a great innings a bit like the innings inzi and wasim played in the 92 final.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post

Him and Imad were the difference between scoring 338 and 350/360. They failed to take advantage of the platform set. Sarfaraz certainly has the ability to score quickly, and between them I am sure one of Shadab, Hasan Ali and/or Amir could have scored a quick cameo if necessary.