Jan 2003
    Venue
    MCG
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"I will continue to convey the message to all cricketers to stay on the right path" : Mohammad Amir

In part one of an interview with PakPassion.net's Saj Sadiq (for Sky Sports Cricket), Pakistan seamer Mohammad Amir explains how he has matured as a player and person since the spot-fixing scandal, how he has no plans to quit Test cricket, and his desire to become a fully-fledged all-rounder...

Recently there were some rumours that you were contemplating retiring from Test cricket. Can you clarify this?

MOHAMMAD AMIR:
    I have no idea what the thinking was behind this ridiculous story. I'm fit, strong and healthy and have no intentions of quitting any format. What I had said was that as a cricketer you have to take care of your body and look after your fitness levels and someone altered that statement and quoted me as saying that I wanted to quit playing Test cricket. It's totally untrue and as long as I am fit I want to play in all formats.

You've been playing almost continuously since your return to cricket. How is the body holding up? It must be tempting to take a rest every now and then?

A:
    No I am fine, I feel okay. There is no doubt that when I returned from my ban I did struggle a bit regarding my fitness which was to be expected, but day by day I'm feeling stronger and am now in better shape.

You lost five years of your cricket career, it must feel like you have to make up for lost time?

A:
    I was banned when I feel I was at my peak and anyone in my shoes would feel the same way I did and would also have gone through the whole range of emotions that I did. However, now that I am back, I can only look forward and not think too much about the past. As a fast bowler if you are out of the game for five months then that can be catastrophic, but to be out of the game for five years was very tough and to make a comeback after such a lengthy period with no cricket behind me was a difficult ask. But who knows, maybe being out of the game for five years was somehow a good thing and a blessing for me, in that I could have been seriously injured if I was playing continuously at such a young age.

How do you feel now about the events of 2010? Was it a bad memory or a lesson learnt for you and for upcoming cricketers?

A:
    That was a very tough time in my life and I learnt a lot of harsh lessons that I will never forget. I will always maintain that any young cricketer can learn a lot from what happened to me. But dedication, honesty and hard-work will always prevail. I had the passion to come back and that is what got me through those dark days. I will continue to convey the message to all young cricketers, in fact to all cricketers, to stay on the right path, stay honest, be dedicated and do not look for short cuts to success.

Pakistani cricket fans are very demanding and a ruthless bunch. How do you cope with the pressure of such high expectations?

A:
    Yes it's true that Pakistani fans are very demanding, in fact I would say that fans of all Asian teams are very demanding regarding their respective team. They expect their team to win every game and never lose, but as a professional I have to manage these expectations and to not let these expectations to affect my performance. Of course, I am going to be honest and say yes pressure does affect me sometimes, as it does everyone.

As one of the main players in the team you are expected to perform in every match and deliver, but the best players and the most successful players are those who handle that pressure and cope with it. They are able to absorb that kind of pressure and perform well. The expectations are something I will have to live with and have had to live with, and they actually motivate me to do better rather than cause me any problems or concerns.

Is your outlook on life and cricket any different these days than it was at the start of your career?

A:
    I feel that I am more mature now both on and off the field. I came into cricket at a very young age having come through the ranks very quickly from domestic cricket. Things happened so quickly, one minute I was playing club cricket, then domestic cricket, then for Pakistan A and suddenly I was playing for my country against the best players in the world. I think the more cricket you play, the more you will learn about yourself and learn about life in general. The more you travel around the world, the more you educate yourself and learn about people and cultures then that can only be a good thing. I also think that what has happened in the past to me has made me a more mature and humble person and I think I am a well-rounded man now who is more aware of his surroundings.

How do you think cricket has changed while you were ineligible to play?

A:
    I think cricket changed a lot during my ban. It became faster-paced and with the rise of the Twenty20 format it meant that cricketers had to be quick-thinkers and more flexible when it came to their approach. The lack of swing around the world is also a huge change. Pace bowlers are struggling to swing the new ball and the old ball, perhaps due to the type of cricket balls being used these days. In addition wickets have become so batsmen-friendly that it's really tough for pace bowlers to challenge batsmen and that is why games have become so high scoring. There's a lot more cricket being played also nowadays and less time to recover, however the basics will always stay the same. When I came back I had to adjust, I had to make changes to my game but the basic ethic of hard work has remained.

Is it fair to say that you have underachieved with the bat during your career so far and have only shown glimpses of your potential, such as against Sri Lanka in the Champions Trophy?

A:
    I've been putting in a lot of time and effort regarding my batting with Grant Flower. He has always maintained that I can become a genuine all-rounder and I believe that also. I think that the signs are there that my batting is improving, for example in the final Test against West Indies where Yasir Shah and I shared a good partnership and of course the important partnership with Sarfraz Ahmed against Sri Lanka. I know I have to show more dedication to my batting and show more consistency with the bat. The effort and hard work is there and I'm confident that the results of this hard work will bear fruit in the future.

Stay tuned to skysports.com for part two of Saj's interview with Amir, in which the Pakistan star reflects on his country's Champions Trophy victory, the side's promising future, and receiving praise from Virat Kohli.

http://www.skysports.com/cricket/new...yer-and-person
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 28th July 2017 at 05:15.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some interesting comments. When will part 2 be released?

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    wellington
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Man you are a legend.. what happened in past was very painful for all the fans but now that you are back. Let us just sit back and see you stream roll batting line ups..

only fighters rise up from the dust..

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking like a captaincy material

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Pyongyang
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He should be made Vice captain in Odis and Tests.

Babar should be given Vice Captaincy in T20s

Amir should play only high profile T20 internationals.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good interview.

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see that he has finally come to his senses. Best of luck.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah View Post
    Speaking like a captaincy material
    if he stays clean and still performing for the next 5 years, might become a captain...

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    "I will continue to stay on the right path and not look for shortcuts" : Mohammad Amir
    ^This bit reminded me of Sachin's farewell speech.

Sachin's golden words:

Do not find shortcuts
    He (SRT) said “My father gave me freedom at the age of 11, and told me that [I should] chase my dreams, but make sure you do not find shortcuts. The path might be difficult but don’t give up…”

Message for you “There are no shorts cuts to success; you have to really work hard to achieve your dreams. Avoid “get rich quick” schemes, whenever you think about short cuts in investments, think of Snakes & Ladders game.”
    http://www.tflguide.com/2013/11/7-li...ll-speech.html

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is a champ. Hope he reaches top levels.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mak36 View Post
    Some interesting comments. When will part 2 be released?
    In a day or two.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    ok so Amir spoke with confidence, passion and spoke with maturity.

He seems very happy with life, we shared a few jokes during the interview and he was in a very relaxed frame of mind. He has a new addition to the family on the way and is really enjoying his cricket at the moment.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    In a day or two.
    ok so Amir spoke with confidence, passion and spoke with maturity.

He seems very happy with life, we shared a few jokes during the interview and he was in a very relaxed frame of mind. He has a new addition to the family on the way and is really enjoying his cricket at the moment.
    Thanks Saj- I look forward to reading it. Great to hear he is in a positive frame of mind.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compared to Indian, Aussie and English Cricketers Pak ones are not that wealthy. When approached by match fixers offering lots of easy money the temptation will be to strong for most. To avoid this lots of more money has to be pumped in to Pak Cricket so that players feel financially secure.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    An inswinging Yorker.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wanted him to get a life ban during 2010. I was young back then too but I have certainly learned the value of forgiveness and correction rather than punishment.

The best thing about Amir is so far he has performed well in two big finals. That's the mark of a real world class player imo.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsha View Post
    I wanted him to get a life ban during 2010. I was young back then too but I have certainly learned the value of forgiveness and correction rather than punishment.

The best thing about Amir is so far he has performed well in two big finals. That's the mark of a real world class player imo.
    Well said bro. Forgiveness is the most humane thing.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    Compared to Indian, Aussie and English Cricketers Pak ones are not that wealthy. When approached by match fixers offering lots of easy money the temptation will be to strong for most. To avoid this lots of more money has to be pumped in to Pak Cricket so that players feel financially secure.
    No money should be enough to tempt anyone down the wrong path.

It's interesting that many who wanted Amir to receive a life ban are now changing their mind.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No money should be enough to tempt anyone down the wrong path.

It's interesting that many who wanted Amir to receive a life ban are now changing their mind.
    Fact is money is the deciding factor amongst poorer Pak cricketers. They enviously look on at the riches on offer in the IPL and other such leagues. I still would support a life ban on Amir however when he puts on that green top will support him as well.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Fact is money is the deciding factor amongst poorer Pak cricketers. They enviously look on at the riches on offer in the IPL and other such leagues. I still would support a life ban on Amir however when he puts on that green top will support him as well.
    That does not mean they should sell themselves and indulge in corrupt practices.

People all around the world don't earn as much money as others, that doesn't mean they start to commit crimes.
    Last edited by Saj; 26th July 2017 at 20:50.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well done Amir~ excellent interview.
    Glad to see life is on the up for him~ on and off the field.
    Brilliant in CT Trophy

"Where you start from is as important as what you do"

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Cairo, Egypt
    Runs
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impressive, mature comments from Amir, indicative of his positive attitude.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Instagram!

Please also follow PakPassion Sport!

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That does not mean they should sell themselves and indulge in corrupt practices.

People all around the world don't earn as much money as others, that doesn't mean they start to commit crimes.
    But most Pak players are uneducated who don't have many career options other then Cricket. Even at Cricket there is no guarantee that they will make it as international regulars. Due to this insecurity they are more vulnerable to sell out more then players from most other countries.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But most Pak players are uneducated who don't have many career options other then Cricket. Even at Cricket there is no guarantee that they will make it as international regulars. Due to this insecurity they are more vulnerable to sell out more then players from most other countries.
    Money is definitely a factor. Unfortunately, moral principles in many are not to be found these days. The world is changing and is more money hungry.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top comment.