Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Joe Root is the most overrated Test cricketer in the world today by a country mile

Unlike Smith, Kohli and Kane, there has never been a point where he has dominated.

And if an Indian had a split like Root, he would be called a HTB (9 and 3 - one of which was in WI).

Then there's his conversion issues. No elite player should fail to convert as badly as Root does.

It's all hype and potential with him. Had he played for anyone other than England, Pakistan (on here) he wouldn't even be rated that highly.

Australian and SA fans would slaughter him for his inability to convert. If he played for any other teams, he simply wouldn't even register. He would be second or third tier with Bravo and Babar.

Of course that doesn't mean he can't be top of the line as he has the potential, but as is, he definitely isn't IMO. Too many issues with him (outside of technique) and he doesn't score as heavily as the others. He doesn't carry the batting like the other 3 either.
    Last edited by Aman; 28th July 2017 at 04:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree he is a bit overhyped especially when people say he is the best batsman in the world.

Root is a top-class player, but the worst of the Fab 4 when it comes to batting.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he is one of the best batsman across all formats and dominates all opposition in all conditions. his only problem so far is that he gets out between 50 and 100 a lot which is not the end of the world when you are as young as he is.

he is a world class batsman and not overrated at all. he will go on to score 25+ hundreds in both formats. certainly the best english batsman of all time. it is very harsh to call him overrated. yes he is not as good as kohli but hardly anyone is.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    he is one of the best batsman across all formats and dominates all opposition in all conditions. his only problem so far is that he gets out between 50 and 100 a lot which is not the end of the world when you are as young as he is.

he is a world class batsman and not overrated at all. he will go on to score 25+ hundreds in both formats. certainly the best english batsman of all time. it is very harsh to call him overrated. yes he is not as good as kohli but hardly anyone is.
    There has never been a period of time where he has dominated like Smith, Kohli and Kane. Then there's his conversion issues which are unbefitting of an elite player. Can't forget his home and away century split either.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    I agree he is a bit overhyped especially when people say he is the best batsman in the world.

Root is a top-class player, but the worst of the Fab 4 when it comes to batting.
    I think he has potential to surpass Kane. Smith and Kohli are a level to far for him IMHO.

He avoids criticism because the lower order usually bail England out when the top order fails.
    Last edited by Aman; 28th July 2017 at 04:33.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aman View Post
    I think he has potential to surpass Kane. Smith and Kohli are a level to far for him IMHO.

He avoids criticism because the lower order usually bail England out when the top order fails.
    Ofc Smith is better in Tests, but I think Root will end up the better LOI player as the latter is stronger at accelerating.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Ofc Smith is better in Tests, but I think Root will end up the better LOI player as the latter is stronger at accelerating.
    This is purely on Tests.

Root is probably already a better ODI batsmen, although Smith did guide Aus to a WC... so you could say that trumps anything Root has done or ever will do in that format.

Kohli is ahead of all of them in LOI. I don't think the other three will finish as ATGs in LOI IMO.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He's a top batsman, ahead of Williamson and Smith in LOIs. He will get many chances to better his relatively lackluster away record.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is purely on Tests.

Root is probably already a better ODI batsmen, although Smith did guide Aus to a WC... so you could say that trumps anything Root has done or ever will do in that format.

Kohli is ahead of all of them in LOI. I don't think the other three will finish as ATGs in LOI IMO.
    I'd say Root and Kohli are at the same level in Tests. Kane is slightly ahead of them both, but Smith is way ahead of all of them.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachin136 View Post
    He's a top batsman, ahead of Williamson and Smith in LOIs. He will get many chances to better his relatively lackluster away record.
    Root does play a lot of ODIs on the flattest wickets in the world.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Agreed. It's mostly been soft runs thus far barring a few innings here and there.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I guess that a Test match batting average of 53.5 compels many people to rate him quite highly.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I guess that a Test match batting average of 53.5 compels many people to rate him quite highly.
    Not saying that he isn't good, just grossly overrated.

Do you think someone who fails to convert as often as Root does deserves to considered among the best in the world? He hasn't dominated either, and again his abysmal spread of centuries.

Pujara was in a similar position but people wrote him off as a HTB because most of his tons were in India. Why is Root exempt from it when he's played long enough and has shown he struggles to convert and struggles to score 100s away from home.

He has 3 tons away - one against the WI the other against India in a very chancy innings. Then there's his innings in the First Test against SA where he must of had a dozen or more lives in his 100.
    Last edited by Aman; 28th July 2017 at 05:50.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    Agreed. It's mostly been soft runs thus far barring a few innings here and there.
    Gets away with it because he plays for England and has an incredibly strong lower order which saves England time and time again.

He's never truly had to carry the batting like Smith, Kohli or Kane.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gets away with it because he plays for England and has an incredibly strong lower order which saves England time and time again.

He's never truly had to carry the batting like Smith, Kohli or Kane.
    Kohli has never had to carry the batting in Tests. Even in Australia, Vijay and Rahane were playing well too.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Kohli has never had to carry the batting in Tests. Even in Australia, Vijay and Rahane were playing well too.
    Kohli carried them during India's home season (except against Aus).

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think he's a good batsman and the most naturally talented that England has produced since David Gower. However in terms of achievements and contributions he is still way off the S-Class Cook/KP bracket, both of whom would be pushing to get into an all-time England XI. Root is nowhere near that level at the moment - mainly due to his conversion rate, although there are theories that this is more to do with his chronic lower back issues than his concentration, so whether this metric will ever improve I don't know.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    I think he's a good batsman and the most naturally talented that England has produced since David Gower. However in terms of achievements and contributions he is still way off the S-Class Cook/KP bracket, both of whom would be pushing to get into an all-time England XI. Root is nowhere near that level at the moment - mainly due to his conversion rate, although there are theories that this is more to do with his chronic lower back issues than his concentration, so whether this metric will ever improve I don't know.
    Can someone who struggles to convert be considered among the best batsmen in the world? Yes or no.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can someone who struggles to convert be considered among the best batsmen in the world? Yes or no.
    Normally no. But all the genuine greats have retired. Who else is left? From what I can see, only Smith and Williamson are better than him in Tests.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Normally no. But all the genuine greats have retired. Who else is left? From what I can see, only Smith and Williamson are better than him in Tests.
    You're right about there not being many quality batsmen left. But I would put Kohli ahead as well, he seems to have found his Test game and tends to turn starts into match winning knocks. Then there's Warner and QdK who are both genuine match winners. Amla and AB would be there but they've fallen away.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    He's a quality batsman.

Possesses a fluent technique, resolute defensive game, and ability to soak pressure. BUT his conversion rate does need work.

I thought he was wonderful in the away series against IND while handling Ashwin+Jadeja, so he's certainly not an incomplete batsman feasting on home pitches.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He gets runs, thats the only qualification a batsman needs.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Venue
    Deen Over Dunya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not saying that he isn't good, just grossly overrated.

Do you think someone who fails to convert as often as Root does deserves to considered among the best in the world? He hasn't dominated either, and again his abysmal spread of centuries.

Pujara was in a similar position but people wrote him off as a HTB because most of his tons were in India. Why is Root exempt from it when he's played long enough and has shown he struggles to convert and struggles to score 100s away from home.

He has 3 tons away - one against the WI the other against India in a very chancy innings. Then there's his innings in the First Test against SA where he must of had a dozen or more lives in his 100.
    unfair if you wont call other batsmen out.

remember that Tendulkar knock in SA around 2011 where he hit 160 odd? he was not given out lbw on 8, dropped on 20 something, and not given out caught behind in the 40s. people still claimed it was one of the greatest knocks ever because Steyn was bowling like a maniac that spell.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disagree.

Root is the best batsman in the world. Period. He is brilliant in ALL formats (T20, ODI, tests). He is brilliant in ALL conditions (Aus, UAE, Saffers). What is there not to respect?

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No most overrated test cricketer is Virat Kohli my a mile.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disagree. He is brilliant in all 3 formats, highly consistent across all conditions. Potential English legend if not ATG

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Googly View Post
    Disagree.

Root is the best batsman in the world. Period. He is brilliant in ALL formats (T20, ODI, tests). He is brilliant in ALL conditions (Aus, UAE, Saffers). What is there not to respect?
    This folks right here is why he is grossly overrated. Root is nowhere near being the best batsmen in the world. Also, please check out Joe Root's record in NZ, Aus and Bangladesh.
    Last edited by Aman; 28th July 2017 at 11:17.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    No most overrated test cricketer is Virat Kohli my a mile.
    Kohli won more matches for India on his own in their last home season than Root has in his entire career.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    He has a great record in the UAE, India, South Africa and the WI's away from home which is not too bad. Needs a big tour in AUS though, hasn't done so well there. England in general overly rate their stars but the thing is he's very important to the England batting team, however; I rate Cook as their best and most valuable batsman.

Looking at his record it's only in NZ and AUS where he has been terrible, played 2 Tests in BD but that's a small sample and no one cares about BD anyway. Root is more of those consistent blokes rather then a batsman who'd play an impact knock home or away. But definitely world class and up there with the best, is he no.1 ? I wouldn't say so.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    He has a great record in the UAE, India, South Africa and the WI's away from home which is not too bad. Needs a big tour in AUS though, hasn't done so well there. England in general overly rate their stars but the thing is he's very important to the England batting team, however; I rate Cook as their best and most valuable batsman.

Looking at his record it's only in NZ and AUS where he has been terrible, played 2 Tests in BD but that's a small sample and no one cares about BD anyway. Root is more of those consistent blokes rather then a batsman who'd play an impact knock home or away. But definitely world class and up there with the best, is he no.1 ? I wouldn't say so.
    How can you rank someone among the best when they struggle to convert and have such a horrible home and away split? He's not a bigger match winner than Smith, Kohli, Warner or QdK. Kane is also a better batting leader but he doesn't have a team who can take advantage of his contributions.

Scoring big runs and winning runs is far more valuable than consistently scoring pretty 50s.
    Last edited by Aman; 28th July 2017 at 11:22.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think his record in NZ and Bangladesh will haunt him, as long as he considerably improves his performances in Australia. Rightly or wrongly England cricketers are more fondly remembered if they deliver the goods in the Ashes - particularly Down Under, where many cricketers (English and otherwise) have come a cropper.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    How can you rank someone among the best when they struggle to convert and have such a horrible home and away split? He's not a bigger match winner than Smith, Kohli, Warner or QdK. Kane is also a better batting leader but he doesn't have a team who can take advantage of his contributions.

Scoring big runs and winning matches is far more valuable than consistently scoring pretty 50s.
    Correction*

It's annoying when people put him on the pedestal when he's no where deserving of the title. Not even top 5 IMHO.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Scoring big runs and winning runs is far more valuable than consistently scoring pretty 50s.
    It's not a bad split when it's only NZ and AUS where he has struggled, so he's not in your top 5? KW is better, Kohli is an overly rated Test batsman, QDK is decent and Smith is amazing. Consistency is valuable and he's won many games for his country but is no KP, away from home not many of these blokes have had an impact which sets them apart from the others
    Last edited by shaz619; 28th July 2017 at 11:30.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    I don't think his record in NZ and Bangladesh will haunt him, as long as he considerably improves his performances in Australia. Rightly or wrongly England cricketers are more fondly remembered if they deliver the goods in the Ashes - particularly Down Under, where many cricketers (English and otherwise) have come a cropper.
    True, it's a big series for him; if he can perform there and maybe win a Test as well it would make a great case for being the best in the world

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    It's not a bad split when it's only NZ and AUS where he has struggled, so he's not in your top 5? KW is better, Kohli is an overly rated Test batsman, QDK is decent and Smith is amazing. Consistency is valuable and he's won many games for his country but is no KP, away from home not many of these blokes have had an impact which sets them apart from the others
    He's 9-3.

9 centuries at home and 3 away.

One of them came against the WI.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    He's 9-3.

9 centuries at home and 3 away.

One of them came against the WI.
    Definitely an area for improvement, where do you rank him in the top 10 or 5 ?

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kohli won more matches for India on his own in their last home season than Root has in his entire career.
    which matches ?
    Performed against SA when series was already won in first 2 matches and 1st innings of 3rd match. Performed against NZ but some other Indian batsmen played more important innings and If i am not wrong Rahane had a better series than him.

He has never won a test match on his own apart from may be second test against England that too India would have won without him.. He is King Kohli! King of soft runs in test cricket. Complete opposite to what he is in odis..

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    536 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I am a big fan of him but I get this sort of cowardly vibe from him if am honest. I think he has more ability and fluency than Virat Kohli but he doesn't have the assertive batting style that Smith and Kohli do...In that sense, he's more similar to Kane Williamson. However, he's got more ability than any of the fab 4, very good stats (the Aus stats I'd imagine he will definitely rectify) and I would rate him joint with Kohli while slightly above Kane....Steve Smith is just too far ahead of any of them however.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smith in my opinion is a flat track bully. He plays on flat tracks in australia and failed everytime there was a bit lateral movement when Australia toured England in 2015. The double hundred he got at lords was a flat pitch. IMO his stats are not a true reflection.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    which matches ?
    Performed against SA when series was already won in first 2 matches and 1st innings of 3rd match. Performed against NZ but some other Indian batsmen played more important innings and If i am not wrong Rahane had a better series than him.

He has never won a test match on his own apart from may be second test against England that too India would have won without him.. He is King Kohli! King of soft runs in test cricket. Complete opposite to what he is in odis..
    India is ranked #1 in the world, and it didn't get there by relying on only one player. It is expected that other players perform as well. How does others performing or not affect how well Kohli has batted?

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India is ranked #1 in the world, and it didn't get there by relying on only one player. It is expected that other players perform as well. How does others performing or not affect how well Kohli has batted?
    do you have reading problems or purposefully ignore the ongoing discussion?
    I was anwsering a poster who said he won 'matches' on his 'own'? Dont see how his effort was special that we can describe it as winning on his own.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    do you have reading problems or purposefully ignore the ongoing discussion?
    I was anwsering a poster who said he won 'matches' on his 'own'? Dont see how his effort was special that we can describe it as winning on his own.
    And winning matches on his own doesn't require everyone else to get out for 0.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And winning matches on his own doesn't require everyone else to get out for 0.
    yes it requires you to score a 100 in second innings when your team already posted 600 in the 1st innings and have a lead of 300+

#AchaSorry

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    846 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Joe Root is a better teat player than Virat Kohli. Unlike the overrated Indian, Root doesn't have any glaring weaknesses and with time, he'll score more centuries overseas. Conversion rate is not an issue, even a 70 or 80 can be match-winning in places like England, India and South Africa.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't think he's ovverated , needs to improve his conversion rate though. I'm sure he will. He has made batting easy in some difficult conditions but just hasn't kicked on.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Back to back 50s for one of the worlds best

/s

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Venue
    Deen Over Dunya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Talhah View Post
    Smith in my opinion is a flat track bully. He plays on flat tracks in australia and failed everytime there was a bit lateral movement when Australia toured England in 2015. The double hundred he got at lords was a flat pitch. IMO his stats are not a true reflection.
    Name one double century scored on a pitch with substantial swing/seam or turn.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutdown Corner View Post
    Name one double century scored on a pitch with substantial swing/seam or turn.
    Sehwag in Galle comes in my mind immediately, but you are right that you are not going to see many big scores on a pitch with substantial swing/seam or turn.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    Sehwag in Galle comes in my mind immediately, but you are right that you are not going to see many big scores on a pitch with substantial swing/seam or turn.
    Kane scored some great runs against you in our last series in SA. Up against an on fire Steyn, Philander and Rabada in difficult conditions. He only made 77 but he had to hit out because he was out of partners.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Kane scored some great runs against you in our last series in SA. Up against an on fire Steyn, Philander and Rabada in difficult conditions. He only made 77 but he had to hit out because he was out of partners.
    There are many gun knocks in difficult conditions, but double tons will be rare. Either batsman gets an unplayable one or runs out of partner. I have seen some tons, but don't recall many doubles.
    Last edited by Buffet; 5th August 2017 at 03:36.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    lol Henry Nicholls scored like 70 iirc

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    lol Henry Nicholls scored like 70 iirc
    Game was over by then. Nothing but soft runs with both teams waiting for the inevitable. Looked nowhere as fluid as Kane either.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    Joe Root is a better teat player than Virat Kohli. Unlike the overrated Indian, Root doesn't have any glaring weaknesses and with time, he'll score more centuries overseas. Conversion rate is not an issue, even a 70 or 80 can be match-winning in places like England, India and South Africa.
    That's a load of crock.

70-80 is most certainly not match winning in those countries.

England is overrated in terms of difficult, it's quite easy to score runs once the sun is out. India you cannot win matches with a 70 when India are putting up 400+ often. SA you're not going to do anything with 70 unless you have someone score 100 or more.
    Last edited by Aman; 5th August 2017 at 04:10.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Talhah View Post
    3 centuries in 4 test matches in India against arguably the current best spin attack in their home conditions. His 100 at Centurion against Steyn, Philander and Morkel was a great knock as well that was overshadowed by Johnson's 12-fer. If there's a FTB it would be Warner not Smith.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    797 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Joe Root was really disappointing in the India series where he scored a lot of 50s but rarely went on to 100s. He is a very good player and probably the most technically sound player in the top 4s (Smith, Kohli and Kane being the others). That being said, his list of clutch knocks overseas are way lesser than what you would expect from a top talent.

2 possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are terrifying.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leatherface58 View Post
    Joe Root was really disappointing in the India series where he scored a lot of 50s but rarely went on to 100s. He is a very good player and probably the most technically sound player in the top 4s (Smith, Kohli and Kane being the others). That being said, his list of clutch knocks overseas are way lesser than what you would expect from a top talent.
    Technically,
    Kane > Smith> Root > Kohli.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kohli is definitely not as good a Test batsman as Root. A top quality Test batsman always looks like he is in full control of the destiny of the game when he is at the crease and 'in'. I get that from Smith, Williamson and Root, but not Kohli.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BTW I am as big a critic as anybody else of Root's conversion rate, however I will say that a half-century from anyone looks like quite good value on this pitch, definitely the toughest pitch to bat on in this series so far and it will deteriorate further as well.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Root has series defining performances at home my friend.

Vs India in 2014
    Vs Aus in 2015
    Vs Pak in 2016

Williamson and Kohli are still behind Root as far as tests are concerned. Smith is a level ahead though.

Root hasn't done great away but has been good away and way better than Kohli/kane at home.

Kohli's series defining performance:

Vs England at home
    Vs Australia away

Smith has one in India and quite a few at home and has got hundreds almost everywhere he toured.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Azhar Ali is a better test batsman than him and is grossly underated.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Kohli is definitely not as good a Test batsman as Root. A top quality Test batsman always looks like he is in full control of the destiny of the game when he is at the crease and 'in'. I get that from Smith, Williamson and Root, but not Kohli.
    Root is a god in England and that's about it, Kohli has hundreds all around the globe. I think you've been brainwashed by the SKY hype machine and all the eulogies on Joe Root; it has to be said England's cricketers benefit from the best media exposure in the world, Joe Root is the Kim K of cricket; he looks all pretty but he's hiding what he truly is behind all that make up which SKY and the ECB put on him; a home track bully.
    Last edited by shaz619; 5th August 2017 at 14:12.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    It's also worth pointing out that @James is not biased at all in his opinion of Root being a fellow Yorkshireman.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bairstow is the real bad boy on this team. Relieve him from glove duty and let him bat in the top 4.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Most talented and gifted batsman of this generation but has hardly done anything to be rated as high as Smith.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bowled for 49. Interesting.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan Sasuke View Post
    Bowled for 49. Interesting.
    Didn't want to get 50 to help his conversion rate .

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Dhaka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In test

Smith
    Kane
    Kohli & root

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Top scored in challenging conditions, 49 important 2nd innings runs. This is probably a better innings than any of his since his hundred in the first Test.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's also worth pointing out that @James is not biased at all in his opinion of Root being a fellow Yorkshireman.
    Slightly biased towards Yorkshire players admittedly, however more of an admirer of Root's talent and appreciative of his contributions, than a big fan. More of a Cookie man. (The cricketer variety, and the triple chocolate chip variety.)

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    Azhar Ali is a better test batsman than him and is grossly underated.
    Not much difficult to notice.

Number of 100s in last 2 years:
    Smith - 10
    Kohli - 7
    Pujara - 7
    Waliamson - 7
    Rahane - 6
    Warner - 6
    Azhar Ali - 5
    Chandimal - 5
    Elgar - 5
    Root - 5

Averages:
    Smith - 68
    Williamson - 64
    Pujara - 61
    Kohli - 55
    Azhar Ali - 54
    Root - 51

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leatherface58 View Post
    Root to me is definitely the best of the 4 in Tests but Virat has best technique , his issue is more a ODI approach to Test batting rather than technique .

As for OP I dont think so , Root is far from overrated and I disagree that he cannot dominate , hes got the game to do it .

" you don't play for the crowd, you play for your country " - MSD

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Root is a god in England and that's about it, Kohli has hundreds all around the globe. I think you've been brainwashed by the SKY hype machine and all the eulogies on Joe Root; it has to be said England's cricketers benefit from the best media exposure in the world, Joe Root is the Kim K of cricket; he looks all pretty but he's hiding what he truly is behind all that make up which SKY and the ECB put on him; a home track bully.
    I think thats unfair , off course hes very good at home but hes done well overseas as well .

you are forgetting hes only 26 years old and still a couple of years from peak of his career

" you don't play for the crowd, you play for your country " - MSD

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    @shaz619 check out Dobell's piece on Root

First sentence

Of course it was Joe Root who should score the runs to take England into an impregnable position.
    :moeen

Is he related to Root or something.

Top scored in challenging conditions, 49 important 2nd innings runs. This is probably a better innings than any of his since his hundred in the first Test.
    Still unable to convert on ANOTHER start....

This is nothing to boast about for someone who is shown time and time again that he struggles to convert starts like champion batsmen do.
    Last edited by Aman; 7th August 2017 at 15:22.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    @shaz619 check out Dobell's piece on Root

First sentence

:moeen

Is he related to Root or something.

Still unable to convert on ANOTHER start....

This is nothing to boast about for someone who is shown time and time again that he struggles to convert starts like champion batsmen do.
    It's actually good for Mo that these so called pundits hype up Joe, it takes pressure of the Beard Root's century record is shocking, he thrives at home and has only played a handful of great knocks away. Am a big critic of Kohli and even I can't find a narrative which suggests Joe is better

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Paris
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    461 runs at 57.62 in a series when no other batsman crossed 360 runs is quite good.

His conversion rate is a big problem in both formats but still that was a brilliant series for him.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is world class player. We would love a batsman of his calibre.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr consistent. Not a bad problem to have not being able to convert a 60 to 100 when he rarely gets a low scoring test match

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has some technical flaws that he needs to iron out. And sure he should score more tons no doubt.

However he is world class batsman and is not over rated by any means.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobashir View Post
    461 runs at 57.62 in a series when no other batsman crossed 360 runs is quite good.

His conversion rate is a big problem in both formats but still that was a brilliant series for him.
    Agree, and a very good first series as captain too.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Currently rated at #2 in the world, behind Smith and ahead of some Kiwi bloke whose name I don't recall.