Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    This is just another innings that justifys my stance.

Still a long way for him to go to drop the tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The most consistent 50s scoring batsman in the world

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Joe Fifty.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    The series in which kohli scored every other batsman also scored. Rahul got 199 pujara got runs even nair got 300. From england root ,moeen,stokes also scored . Even in australia series where kohli scored runs every other batsman even tailender got runs . Truth be told kohli have never had truly astonishing series like smith where he scored 3 hundreds and all other batters scored 2 . If kohli wants tomatch smiths india performance then he has to score huge amount of runs in england or south africa on green wickets. Smith scored those runs overseas in conditions completely alien to him. Kohli looks like a legend when he is scoring against the sl attack. Even in this series when the ball was nipping around king kohli scored a duck and surrendered. Dont tell me about his 2nd inn century . When he came at the crease score was 191 for 2.
    That was just the last game, Kohli scored in every game where (nearly) everyone else failed ~ Rajkot second innings, Vizag both innings, Mohali first innings, Mumbai first innings & failed only at Chennai.

Almost always first innings & without any pressure, with lots of dropped catches & stuff.

He was more consistent than everyone else, more so in pressure situations & even playing with the lower order. You can't seriously think that the weight of his runs is equal to anyone else's in that series?

Sorry what, Smith has one good ton in India that's it, like I said his other tons were on good batting surfaces, batting first & when only Jadeja & Yadav were delivering.

That's patently false, every good aussie plays in IPL in similar conditions, so no in fact India has to adapt quickly considering we don;t even play tour games abroad!
    Last edited by R0H1T; 6th December 2017 at 08:07.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Needs 1 match changing innings in 2nd or 4th innings and he will not look back.
    He looks in every single time against allcomers.
    Butility it needs to happen soon

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Behind Smith, Kohli and Kane in tests.

He is the AB de Villiers in tests. Good for support role except few occassions.

Even in odis where AB is atleast one of the top level player , Root scores consistent 50s but never shows the ability to turn the game on his own.

He is clearly a level or two behind Smith and Kohli all formats combined.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0H1T View Post
    That was just the last game, Kohli scored in every game where (nearly) everyone else failed ~ Rajkot second innings, Vizag both innings, Mohali first innings, Mumbai first innings & failed only at Chennai.

Almost always first innings & without any pressure, with lots of dropped catches & stuff.

He was more consistent than everyone else, more so in pressure situations & even playing with the lower order. You can't seriously think that the weight of his runs is equal to anyone else's in that series?

Sorry what, Smith has one good ton in India that's it, like I said his other tons were on good batting surfaces, batting first & when only Jadeja & Yadav were delivering.

That's patently false, every good aussie plays in IPL in similar conditions, so no in fact India has to adapt quickly considering we don;t even play tour games abroad!
    Well there is a difference between ipl and test pitches. If only 1of smith's hundred was good then why all other players in the series got 2. Smith's was lone centurion in 1st and last test. And all of kohli innings you mentioned came in indian conditions. And yeah kohli played brilliantly to score 134 runs in England. Only problem was it took him 10 innings

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there is a difference between ipl and test pitches. If only 1of smith's hundred was good then why all other players in the series got 2. Smith's was lone centurion in 1st and last test. And all of kohli innings you mentioned came in indian conditions. And yeah kohli played brilliantly to score 134 runs in England. Only problem was it took him 10 innings
    Yet Rahul was the most consistent & best batter in the series, with almost zero chances given in his innings. His fifty in the first test at Pune, 2nd innings of the game, was high quality till he threw it away & it was chanceless IIRC. The second game first innings, the pitch was actually worse to bat on than day 2, his 90 odd was the best innings of that series, again chanceless & followed up by another 50 in the second innings.

So? Kohli scored 4 tons in Aus, twice in Adelaide & the 4th innings ton was probably the best 4th innings 100 in a loss since SRT in Chennai.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0H1T View Post
    Yet Rahul was the most consistent & best batter in the series, with almost zero chances given in his innings. His fifty in the first test at Pune, 2nd innings of the game, was high quality till he threw it away & it was chanceless IIRC. The second game first innings, the pitch was actually worse to bat on than day 2, his 90 odd was the best innings of that series, again chanceless & followed up by another 50 in the second innings.

So? Kohli scored 4 tons in Aus, twice in Adelaide & the 4th innings ton was probably the best 4th innings 100 in a loss since SRT in Chennai.
    In the australia series every batsman from both sides scores tons of runs . Smith scored 730 runs in that series easily outbatting kohli

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    In the australia series every batsman from both sides scores tons of runs . Smith scored 730 runs in that series easily outbatting kohli
    You need to also factor in the fact that Smith scored those runs against Indian spray gun attack. India were playing Varun Aaron who was going close to 5 an over. I agree the pitches were flat but no Indian bowler baring Ashwin was able to keep the RR in check. In Spite of the amount of runs scored, the Aussie bowling line up of RJ Harris, MJ, Hazlewood and Siddle were way better than the Indian spray guns who went for 6 runs per over in some spells. I watched the entire series and it was really hard to watch them bowl. People blame Dhoni for everything but Kohli was equally clueless when his pacers were getting hit either side of the wicket at a RR of 5 runs per over.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His conversion rate is a crippling flaw. Interesting how this issue is much more prominent when he plays overseas. His away numbers overall are still good but only 3 hundreds converted out of a total of 20 50+ scores is awful.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    gotta agree with the above. He is way overhyped by the english media and just hasnt turned up when he has been needed e.g. the semi final against Pakistan and now here in the ashes.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    I want to see another thread being opened, arise Sir Joe Root version 2; it should encourage the little lad

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    gotta agree with the above. He is way overhyped by the english media and just hasnt turned up when he has been needed e.g. the semi final against Pakistan and now here in the ashes.
    Highest scorer in sf against pakistan

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In danger of turning into a HTB. Our two other genuinely good players of recent times, KP and Cook, absolutely presented different flaws in their respective games - but they had strong pedigrees of wearing down the bowlers, getting on top of the match situation and scoring overseas hundreds. Hundreds win games, not fifties.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    In danger of turning into a HTB. Our two other genuinely good players of recent times, KP and Cook, absolutely presented different flaws in their respective games - but they had strong pedigrees of wearing down the bowlers, getting on top of the match situation and scoring overseas hundreds. Hundreds win games, not fifties.
    Isn't he ranked number 2 in the world?

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I don't think root is a HTB but he is surely a batsman with temperament issues. He scores a lots of fifties but rarely converts them. He has 34 50's and only 13 hundreds, that is such a poor conversion rate (28%). While Virat has 57% conversion rate and Smith has 50%. Kane Williamson also has a conversion rate of 40%. Root falls way behind. England heavily rely on Root and Cook to score big with Stoneman, Malan and Vince not having much experience at this level and his failure to convert those knocks to a big one is hurting England badly.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aman View Post
    Isn't he ranked number 2 in the world?
    I think so, he would of course be the latest in a long line of many HTBs who had strong stats and a high ICC ranking. I will clarify though that I have not anointed him as a HTB just yet, rather I said that he is in danger of turning into one.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    I think so, he would of course be the latest in a long line of many HTBs who had strong stats and a high ICC ranking. I will clarify though that I have not anointed him as a HTB just yet, rather I said that he is in danger of turning into one.
    I'm glad to see that you've realized it was nothing personal against the English. I just hate overrated/gutless players, period.
    Last edited by Sean143; 8th December 2017 at 10:41.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Highest scorer in sf against pakistan
    and failed miserably. at this moment in time I rate azhar ali higher than root.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aman View Post
    I'm glad to see that you've realized it was nothing personal against the English. I just hate overrated/gutless players, period.
    Not sure about the gutless part, jury is still out on that, but nonetheless a Test-class player who is being overrated at the moment.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Not sure about the gutless part, jury is still out on that, but nonetheless a Test-class player who is being overrated at the moment.
    Nah, Root isn't gutless, but he isn't ruthless either. I was referring to AB there.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    825 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Root is a magical test batsman.

He finds every time of bowling & condition easy to play but for some reason, doesn't kick on and score.

IF he corrects his flaw, he can easily end up as an ATG. Whether that can happen is anybody's guess.

Right now, he ain't that good outside England. Lots of runs, little impact.

I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and failed miserably. at this moment in time I rate azhar ali higher than root.
    Scoring 46 runs is not failing miserably. I fyou wanna see miserable failure just look at kohli ct final knock. Wake me up when azhar scores 83 off 40 balls in wt20 vs sa chasing 230.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Scoring 46 runs is not failing miserably. I fyou wanna see miserable failure just look at kohli ct final knock. Wake me up when azhar scores 83 off 40 balls in wt20 vs sa chasing 230.
    wake me up when one of your newbies hits a double century in australia. In real cricket.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wake me up when one of your newbies hits a double century in australia. In real cricket.
    Come waca test root will get a duble ton. Mark my words

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Conditions don't affect him . It's his ability to convert 50s into 100s. I think once he converts some 50s into 100s he will be fine. I will still back him to have a brilliant test career.

He's 26, so he has a couple of years before his peak. If at 28/28 he's still having the same problem, he may never reach his potential.

I'll back Root to come good.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His conversion rate is just one flaw that he has. If he fixes that, he will easily be there with likes of Smith and Kohli.

If he doesn't the Fab 4, will become the top 2. Kane, unfortunately due to the virtue of being a Kiwi seems to be slipping out of it in any case.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With his chronic back issues I can't see the conversion getting any better.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidilicious View Post
    His conversion rate is just one flaw that he has. If he fixes that, he will easily be there with likes of Smith and Kohli.

If he doesn't the Fab 4, will become the top 2. Kane, unfortunately due to the virtue of being a Kiwi seems to be slipping out of it in any case.
    Meh, if it means he'll work on his LOI game, I don't mind.

We have impact players, we need a quality rock in the top order who can score the 100s.