Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Currently rated at #2 in the world, behind Smith and ahead of some Kiwi bloke whose name I don't recall.
    Thank god we have that kiwi bloke and not Root.

We'd probably be fighting to break into the top 7 if we had someone like Root.
    Last edited by Aman; 10th August 2017 at 01:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    611 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aman View Post
    Thank god we have that kiwi bloke and not Root.

We'd probably be fighting to break into the top 7 if we had someone like Root.
    Are you in the top seven?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Are you in the top seven?
    Truth hurts?

Couple of wins and you Brits get cocky. Typical for a nation that is renown for failing spectacularly.

I for one cannot wait to see you add the 2019 WC to that list. We all know this is nothing more than an inevitability.
    Last edited by Aman; 12th August 2017 at 09:10.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    611 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Truth hurts?

Couple of wins and you Brits get cocky. Typical for a nation that is renown for failing spectacularly.

I for one cannot wait to see you add the 2019 WC to that list. We all know this is nothing more than an inevitability.
    Not cocky at all. Quite humble actually. We got spanked in India and were lucky against SA, winning three tosses and not facing Philander the whole series. We know only two of our top five batters are proven to be up to it.

What we don't do is run down other sides' players due to post-colonial chippy inferiority complex.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Not cocky at all. Quite humble actually. We got spanked in India and were lucky against SA, winning three tosses and not facing Philander the whole series. We know only two of our top five batters are proven to be up to it.

What we don't do is run down other sides' players due to post-colonial chippy inferiority complex.
    This has nothing to do with Root being English and all to do with Root being grossly overrated. The reason however for him being overrated is because he plays for England. I genuinely believe he would make our team much worse as he's a terrible batting leader. More often than not, it's Stokes, Bairstow or Ali needing to save England after your top order has been knocked over.
    Last edited by Aman; 12th August 2017 at 09:37.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    611 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    This has nothing to do with Root being English and all to do with Root being grossly overrated. The reason however for him being overrated is because he plays for England. I genuinely believe he would make our team much worse as he's a terrible batting leader. More often than not, it's Stokes, Bairstow or Ali needing to save England after your top order has been knocked over.
    He would walk into any team.

If he was an Aussie, he'd get some deserved stick for this fifty-and-out problem.

But he won the first SA test for England with 180 after the top three caved in.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

If he was an Aussie, he'd get some deserved stick for this fifty-and-out problem.

I didn't say he wouldn't walk into our team, I said he would weaken our team if he replaced Kane.

Kane carries our batting better than Root has shown so far. Root has the luxury of having world class players around him to help him. With NZ, it's on Kane scoring runs to get a decent total or nothing.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This forum attracts bizarre and ridiculously insane opinions at the best of times, but this just knocked me out. It might just be the craziest thing I've ever read on here, which deserves some sort of award I reckon. It's simply priceless.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Home Track Bully

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    This forum attracts bizarre and ridiculously insane opinions at the best of times, but this just knocked me out. It might just be the craziest thing I've ever read on here, which deserves some sort of award I reckon. It's simply priceless.
    Read the post above yours. He would make our side a lot worse if he were to replace Kane. He wouldn't have Cook, Stokes, Bairstow or Ali there to carry the batting. It would only be him. England are more dependent on their lower orders contributions than Root's runs. He could fail both innings and England could still win as their lower order scores more often than not. That's a fair assessment as Root is not particularly a great leader for England's batting. Smith and Kane are.
    Last edited by Aman; 12th August 2017 at 12:44.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the post above yours. He would make our side a lot worse if he were to replace Kane. He wouldn't have Cook, Stokes, Bairstow or Ali there to carry the batting. It would only be him. England are more dependent on their lower orders contributions than Root's runs. He could fail both innings and England could still win as their lower order scores more often than not. That's a fair assessment as Root is not particularly a great leader for England's batting. Smith and Kane are.
    Even that's a fairly ludicrous assertion, if a little less crazy than before. I'm not going to argue whether he is a better player than Williamson or not, which is highly subjective, but surely it doesn't take more than two seconds to work out that Root will play differently if he knew he didn't have the cushion of Moeen batting at number 8. Anyone that has followed his career would instantly know that Root isn't an irresponsible player by any stretch of the imagination.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Even that's a fairly ludicrous assertion, if a little less crazy than before. I'm not going to argue whether he is a better player than Williamson or not, which is highly subjective, but surely it doesn't take more than two seconds to work out that Root will play differently if he knew he didn't have the cushion of Moeen batting at number 8. Anyone that has followed his career would instantly know that Root isn't an irresponsible player by any stretch of the imagination.
    Yeah, he's just the player who struggles to convert irrespective of form, opposition or match situation.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, he's just the player who struggles to convert irrespective of form, opposition or match situation.
    So this was essentially nothing more than a roundabout snarky way of saying that you think Williamson is a better player than Root. The English lads are right you do presume to wear that heavy colonial chip on your shoulder.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Joe Root Total Hundreds = 12.

Joe Root Hundreds

Home

104 v NZ
    180 v AUS
    200* v SL
    154* v IND
    149* v IND
    134 v AUS
    130 v AUS
    254 v PAK
    190 v SAF

Away

182* v WI
    110 v SA
    124 v IND

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eventually he should end up as the greatest english batsman of all time and a bonafide ATG.period

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    12 hundreds is plenty and impressive, just because he doesnt convert 50's into hundreds like Williamson and Smith doesnt mean he isnt good.
    His conversion rate is good to me. AB Devilers has a similar conversion rate as Root.

(think AB is overrated in tests, but thats not for this thread)

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    611 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Dear oh dear. What a shame that he can't convert fifties and be a batting leader when two of the top three go quickly. Good job we have Moeen to save our blushes again.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear oh dear. What a shame that he can't convert fifties and be a batting leader when two of the top three go quickly. Good job we have Moeen to save our blushes again.
    What's hilarious is that he consistently gets 50s. Fair enough his conversion rate isn't great but I'd rather have consistency - which'll eventually turn into big scores with experience, etc. - than one off 100s.

His average of 53 could've been near 60s if he did get bigger scores though. Even then people would find something to complain about however

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If he scores 50s - he isn't converting enough, he is way overrated.

If he scores 100s - they are soft runs at home, he is way overrated.

If he doesn't score at all - he is way overrated.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    If he scores 50s - he isn't converting enough, he is way overrated.

If he scores 100s - they are soft runs at home, he is way overrated.

If he doesn't score at all - he is way overrated.
    hit the nail on the head with my point in 'people finding something to complain about him'

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe Root has now scored a 50 in 11 consecutive Test matches!

Wonder why people who complaining about his conversion rate can't see his consistency

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idrizzy View Post
    What's hilarious is that he consistently gets 50s. Fair enough his conversion rate isn't great but I'd rather have consistency - which'll eventually turn into big scores with experience, etc. - than one off 100s.

His average of 53 could've been near 60s if he did get bigger scores though. Even then people would find something to complain about however
    Going by your logic, everyone would have an improved average if they put up more runs consistently. But that isn't how the world works. We aren't living in Utopia. Your average reflects your performances and your performances are a result of the work you've put in.

Root is doing perfectly fine. Just because Indian batsmen are hitting centuries for fun on their highways doesn't mean everyone has it that easy. Smith however is an ATG bloke who deserves every bit of the credit and quite frankly, not everyone can do that.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post
    Going by your logic, everyone would have an improved average if they put up more runs consistently. But that isn't how the world works. We aren't living in Utopia. Your average reflects your performances and your performances are a result of the work you've put in.

Root is doing perfectly fine. Just because Indian batsmen are hitting centuries for fun on their highways doesn't mean everyone has it that easy. Smith however is an ATG bloke who deserves every bit of the credit and quite frankly, not everyone can do that.
    It's common knowledge that experience makes you a better player. He has no qualms in making runs but obviously there's a problem with either his temperament or his stroke-making decisions once he gets a 50. He's the England #4 so he'll have plenty of time to rectify this fault in his game and he'll be a better player for it. Not to mention Root's only 26. By your logic he's at his peak/stagnant and he won't get any better?

Yes of course every player is different in terms of how they progress they career but since Root is a guy that oozes quality, it won't be long before he'll score bigger scores. I never said the world is a utopia, I'm just emphasising what a class player Root is. Scoring 11 half-centuries in Tests consecutively might be the confusion to why you think my point is utopic as that inself is extraordinary. In that inference, I'd agree.

And again, I never said nothing is wrong with Root. I just stated facts in that if he converted better, people would compare him with Smith.

My main argument is consistency brings result. He scored 100 today and that's the results presented from them 50s he's effortlessly churning.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure if his conversion rate will ever improve massively - there are suggestions that after x amount of time of an innings his lower back goes (he has chronic issues in this area) which affects his ability to play shots well. Of course against weaker bowlers he will last longer.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's common knowledge that experience makes you a better player. He has no qualms in making runs but obviously there's a problem with either his temperament or his stroke-making decisions once he gets a 50. He's the England #4 so he'll have plenty of time to rectify this fault in his game and he'll be a better player for it. Not to mention Root's only 26. By your logic he's at his peak/stagnant and he won't get any better?
    Of course. And that's what I'm advocating for, give him time. But to say this would happen if he did this or that is nothing but analogies.

Yes of course every player is different in terms of how they progress they career but since Root is a guy that oozes quality, it won't be long before he'll score bigger scores. I never said the world is a utopia, I'm just emphasising what a class player Root is. Scoring 11 half-centuries in Tests consecutively might be the confusion to why you think my point is utopic as that inself is extraordinary. In that inference, I'd agree.

And again, I never said nothing is wrong with Root. I just stated facts in that if he converted better, people would compare him with Smith.

My main argument is consistency brings result. He scored 100 today and that's the results presented from them 50s he's effortlessly churning.
    People already compare him to Smith. But to score a hundred every game isn't possible and to convert your 50 into a 100 isn't a bed of roses. There's a reason its an achievement and why every batsman is over the moon after getting a ton. Getting to 50 isn't easy but in Test cricket, the real Test of your temperament, fitness and quality comes after you've scored fifty runs, spent time on the crease and played a hundred or so balls.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course. And that's what I'm advocating for, give him time. But to say this would happen if he did this or that is nothing but analogies.
    I know it's analogies, but it presents you a picture of the opportunity he missed. But because of his young age he has plenty of time to become an ATG.

People already compare him to Smith. But to score a hundred every game isn't possible and to convert your 50 into a 100 isn't a bed of roses. There's a reason its an achievement and why every batsman is over the moon after getting a ton. Getting to 50 isn't easy but in Test cricket, the real Test of your temperament, fitness and quality comes after you've scored fifty runs, spent time on the crease and played a hundred or so balls.
    And he'll improve on these factors. I'm not worried for Root at all since he is one the most complete batsman around. James commented above about Root's back problem which could be an external factor that'll prevent him reaching the zenith as a batsman, and will probably mean he'll retire at a younger age than normal. But to compare him to Smith is absurd and no one is on Smith's level.

Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    @Aman just out of curiosity, who would you be cheering for when India travel to England next summer to play five tests?

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's analogies, but it presents you a picture of the opportunity he missed. But because of his young age he has plenty of time to become an ATG.

And he'll improve on these factors. I'm not worried for Root at all since he is one the most complete batsman around. James commented above about Root's back problem which could be an external factor that'll prevent him reaching the zenith as a batsman, and will probably mean he'll retire at a younger age than normal. But to compare him to Smith is absurd and no one is on Smith's level.
    Of course and he's well on his way to becoming an ATG.

And I agree about him and Smith being on a different level. Honestly, I've been watching cricket for a long, long time but I've never seen a batsman dominate the game the way he does. Last time I saw anyone play cricket so good was peak Steyn.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    embarrassing thread

root is a phenom

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course and he's well on his way to becoming an ATG.

And I agree about him and Smith being on a different level. Honestly, I've been watching cricket for a long, long time but I've never seen a batsman dominate the game the way he does. Last time I saw anyone play cricket so good was peak Steyn.
    Is he becoming next HTB?

He has 3 away 100 centuries

From his debut, 16 batsmen have more centuries than him in away matches/neutral matches (for Pak counted only away matches).

8 batmen have 3 centuries. So, basically he is just among top 25 in the list.

His away average is 46, while his home average is 61.
    Last edited by AlizeeFan; 17th August 2017 at 20:54.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Away average of 46 is still pretty good, and it will get better as he gains more experience.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Away average of 46 is still pretty good, and it will get better as he gains more experience.
    Root, the best of Yorkshire's home cooking

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good, but overall he is below other top batsmen in away matches.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    A century against WI at home is all it takes to prove what I said wrong?

The true test for Root will come on away tours, it's then we'll be able to see if he's learnt and improved or not.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moh@n View Post
    @Aman just out of curiosity, who would you be cheering for when India travel to England next summer to play five tests?
    I would be praying somehow they both lose.

Nah, for real though, probably India sweeping them 5-0. These angreez are arrogant as, I would love to see India bring them down to earth with a sweep with none of the tests lasting more than 3 days. A 2 dayer in there would be the icing on the cake.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Living up to the line of being third best in a two team sport

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlizeeFan View Post
    Good, but overall he is below other top batsmen in away matches.
    Williamson's away avg is 46 and kohli's is 45 if they are the top batsmen's you referring

only smith is superior to root away from home

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Protea Fan View Post
    Williamson's away avg is 46 and kohli's is 45 if they are the top batsmen's you referring

only smith is superior to root away from home
    Averages are same, but he getting string of 50s. Big innings are missing.

If you have to pick a batsman in away condition, many other batsmen will be chosen ahead of him.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Indian team doesn't even get credit when they score away against Lanka,and here Root is getting so much for scoring against Windies at home,oh plz!

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Indian team doesn't even get credit when they score away against Lanka,and here Root is getting so much for scoring against Windies at home,oh plz!
    He is young, but he has already played 58 tests. I think he has it in him to score big in unfamiliar conditions, but it's about time he starts doing it. Another 40 tests and he will be among selected players with 100 tests. 3 away tons is too little.

To put it in context, Cook has 17 away tons so far. His peers like Smith, Kohli and Kane have 10+ away tons. He is a fantastic batsman and I am sure best days are ahead of him.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    He is young, but he has already played 58 tests. I think he has it in him to score big in unfamiliar conditions, but it's about time he starts doing it. Another 40 tests and he will be among selected players with 100 tests. 3 away tons is too little.

To put it in context, Cook has 17 away tons so far. His peers like Smith, Kohli and Kane have 10+ away tons. He is a fantastic batsman and I am sure best days are ahead of him.
    And to compare, likes of Rahul who started career recently already has 3 away 100s. As I mentioned earlier, there are 20+ batsmen with 3 or more 100s in away matches since Root's debut.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    793 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Better than most Kiwi batsmen.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    793 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Truth hurts?

Things New Zealand cricket is renowned for:

Getting whooped by Pakistan in World Cup semi-finals, grounds smaller than my garden, trundling seamers who are devastating as the Teletubbies on non-grassy pitches, hack batsmen like Guptill, boring batsmen like Mark Richardson, an awful time zone where you lot are awake when most of the world are asleep, a poor man's England and being forever in Australia's shadow.

Also please check recent results:

3-0 whitewash in India
    Whitewash at home and away to Australia
    Losing at home to South Africa
    Losing to Bangladesh in Champions Trophy

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    That's a fact, but am not sure if you have looked up Root's Home/Away ratio when it comes to his hundreds

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Where did I say he wasn't?

He's better than all our batsmen except Kane.

Root could become better than Kane, but as is, he's horribly overrated.

If he were Indian, he'd be called a HTB because of his horrible home and away split and inability to dominate a series outside England.

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So people criticising Root want him to perform better than he is already performing ? If he starts performing better, then it could well be at the cost of the teams that his detractors support.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Things New Zealand cricket is renowned for:

Getting whooped by Pakistan in World Cup semi-finals, grounds smaller than my garden, trundling seamers who are devastating as the Teletubbies on non-grassy pitches, hack batsmen like Guptill, boring batsmen like Mark Richardson, an awful time zone where you lot are awake when most of the world are asleep, a poor man's England and being forever in Australia's shadow.

Also please check recent results:

3-0 whitewash in India
    Whitewash at home and away to Australia
    Losing at home to South Africa
    Losing to Bangladesh in Champions Trophy

Last time England played NZ in a World Cup match

Know your role

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Pujara AKA the HTB has 9 100s in India and 4 away in 51 matches (85 innings).

Joe Root AKA one of the best batsmen in the world has 10 tons in England and 3 away in 58 matches (107 innings).

Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I would be praying somehow they both lose.

Nah, for real though, probably India sweeping them 5-0. These angreez are arrogant as, I would love to see India bring them down to earth with a sweep with none of the tests lasting more than 3 days. A 2 dayer in there would be the icing on the cake.
    Nah 5-0 won't happen. They are a good side at home and we have been poor travellers. Let's hope things change for good, only time will tell.

Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Pujara AKA the HTB has 9 100s in India and 4 away in 51 matches (85 innings).

Joe Root AKA one of the best batsmen in the world has 10 tons in England and 3 away in 58 matches (107 innings).

Unless we somehow produce another Dravid, all our batsmen are going to be called HTBs on this forum.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe Root is one of the most reliable batsman of modern generation. Definitely not over-rated. May not be an outrageous stroke player like Kohli. But very dependbale in most conditions. Knows how to construct a test innings. Good role model for young cricketers.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    536 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moh@n View Post
    Unless we somehow produce another Dravid, all our batsmen are going to be called HTBs on this forum.
    Rahane is the opposite of a HTB.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Root may not have big centuries away from home but he looked comfortable and scored at a good rate on some difficult pitches. Don't think he is FTB at all. Just needs to improve his conversion rate.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Cairo, Egypt
    Runs
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is a very consistent, dynamic batsman. I would not say he is the most overrated Test cricketer.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Instagram!

Please also follow PakPassion Sport!

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Playing well again today.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some posters just go over the top in their hate.. Joe Root is a class player failure bound to happen here and there but he is a good matured player not sure what the logic of this thread

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    611 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Oh blimey, he's got only at least fifty again when England were 30-3......

He's just got to stop scoring at least fifty every time England are in trouble. He'd never get into the NZ side playing like this.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    793 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Overrated Root gets a fifty for the 12th consecutive Test.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Oh blimey, he's got only at least fifty again when England were 30-3......

He's just got to stop scoring at least fifty every time England are in trouble. He'd never get into the NZ side playing like this.
    50s do not win tests. Root is incredibly consistent but he should be scoring far more 100s.

In the last 2 years, Root has played 13 more test innings but scored only 5 centuries as compared to Smith's 9.

Kane has scored 7 in 15 less innings.

Kohli has 1 more in 13 less innings.

Even Elgar, Khawaja, and Azhar have scored same number of 100s in less number of innings.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big centuries is an issue but he is consistent like rock and is an all round performer with being equally good Vs both spin and pace and scores in dire situations also.

Now even Smith, Kohli and Kane have some issues like most other batsmen. That doesn't make them overrated.

Comparison of 100s of Root away Vs Pujara or Azhar isn't enough to put them at same level as Root.

Pujara avgs 50+ in tests. So just like no. Of hundreds if I take averages as one parameter, Kohli and Kane will be behind Pujara.But they are more complete players and proved to be more all round than Pujara has.

There will always be one or two parameters where one batsmen is lagging behind others and will be at level to the players who are rated inferior to them.You have to consider all of them and not just once.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    England's lower order saves their top order again.

Had Stokes not scored runs, Root's poor conversion rate would have been highlighted.
    Last edited by Aman; 26th August 2017 at 09:46.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    50s do not win tests. Root is incredibly consistent but he should be scoring far more 100s.

In the last 2 years, Root has played 13 more test innings but scored only 5 centuries as compared to Smith's 9.

Kane has scored 7 in 15 less innings.

Kohli has 1 more in 13 less innings.

Even Elgar, Khawaja, and Azhar have scored same number of 100s in less number of innings.
    Exactly.

If you're among the top batsmen in the world, you shouldn't have such issues. This is why I think he's overrated.

The fact English posters are raving on scoring a ton at home against the WI and again failing to cash in on starts is laughable and proves zilch but their own bias. His true test will come when he tours abroad and will need to show his quality by scoring 100s.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Big centuries is an issue but he is consistent like rock and is an all round performer with being equally good Vs both spin and pace and scores in dire situations also.

Now even Smith, Kohli and Kane have some issues like most other batsmen. That doesn't make them overrated.

Comparison of 100s of Root away Vs Pujara or Azhar isn't enough to put them at same level as Root.

Pujara avgs 50+ in tests. So just like no. Of hundreds if I take averages as one parameter, Kohli and Kane will be behind Pujara.But they are more complete players and proved to be more all round than Pujara has.

There will always be one or two parameters where one batsmen is lagging behind others and will be at level to the players who are rated inferior to them.You have to consider all of them and not just once.
    Is not even big centuries. It's his inability to turn good starts into 100s. With the starts he's had, he should be ahead of Kane and Kohli.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Overrated Root gets a fifty for the 12th consecutive Test.
    Curious, how many of those 50s has he turned onto 100s?

Genuinely don't know, but I have a feeling it will be a disappointing number

Fortunately for England, they have a world class lower order who can win matches for them.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    @Markhor I did it for you.

3/11 (27%) for the number 2 batsmen in the world

Note: one dismissal on 49, so effectively 3/12 (25%).

Last edited by Aman; 26th August 2017 at 10:04.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This debate deliciously sets the stage for Root to score a couple of hundreds in Auckland and Christchurch next year.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    This debate deliciously sets the stage for Root to score a couple of hundreds in Auckland and Christchurch next year.
    How does Joe Root being overrated now impact on what he does in the future? He could improve and live up to the hype, but currently he is not close to it. IMHO, Ali and Stokes are far more valuable to England than him. Both are bigger match winners than Root, and I don't think you can question it.
    Last edited by Aman; 26th August 2017 at 11:43.

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Venue
    MCG - Mera Chota Ghar, SE England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    50s in each of his last 12 tests and counting. Currently joint top with AB DeVilliers for the all time record.

Yeah the most over rated cricketer LOL.

Frank Skinner: Pakistan looked better than this when they were trying to lose.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by On_the_up View Post
    50s in each of his last 12 tests and counting. Currently joint top with AB DeVilliers for the all time record.

Yeah the most over rated cricketer LOL.
    IMO to be considered among the best in the world..

1) You need to be able to dominate away
    2) Score 100s away from home
    3) Convert @ at least 0.3 (Smith and Kohli doing much better than that)

Root does neither, the only series he's dominated have either been because of pretty 50s or ones at home.

Smith, Kohli and Kane have done this, Root has lagging behind in all those aspects yet many consider him ahead of Kohli and Kane.
    Last edited by Aman; 26th August 2017 at 12:10.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Root does neither, the only series he's dominated have either been because of pretty 50s or ones at home.

Smith, Kohli and Kane have done this, Root has lagging behind in all those aspects yet many consider him ahead of Kohli and Kane.
    Should add 0.3 is still pretty poor, but it's acceptable if you're doing well in the other conditions. Otherwise 0.3 and 0.4 is pretty weak to be in the top 2-3 in the world. The best two batsmen in the world IMO, are both converting at more than 0.5.
    Last edited by Aman; 26th August 2017 at 12:15.

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Venue
    MCG - Mera Chota Ghar, SE England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was answering the question in the title of this thread which is an emphatic NO in my opinion.

Where he ranks among the fab 4 is another question all together.

Frank Skinner: Pakistan looked better than this when they were trying to lose.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    611 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    So far Root averages 66 as skipper, with two centuries in six matches.

Just sayin'.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Another 50

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    So far Root averages 66 as skipper, with two centuries in six matches.

Just sayin'.
    He's been converting at 20% the last two years mate....

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I dont know where you are going with this Aman but cherry picking out a stat to discredit a player especially one as good as Root seems a bit crass for a Kiwi. I thought you guys carried a bit more self esteem.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    England again relying on lower order because Mr. Consistent failed once again to play a big inning. I'm beginning to think that Stokes, Bairstow, and Ali are contributing more as batsmen than Root.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Lower order to save England again, Root to get all the plaudits.

Rinse and repeat.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    England again relying on lower order because Mr. Consistent failed once again to play a big inning. I'm beginning to think that Stokes, Bairstow, and Ali are contributing more as batsmen than Root.
    Their runs have been more valuable for the last few years. Don't let the marks fool you @shaz619 @James

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Currently rated at #2 in the world, behind Smith and ahead of some Kiwi bloke whose name I don't recall.
    One more reprieve and he could have gotten his 15th 50 in four Tests!

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    One more reprieve and he could have gotten his 15th 50 in four Tests!

If he scores runs you will say it's at home and if he doesn't you will criticism either way but it's not consistent with your logic you need to think of a more robust strategy to approach this