Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

The tiny Hamza (ء) on top in virtual Urdu keyboards (or the lack of it in fact)

So my maternal grandfather suffers from a hearing disability (and is in Pakistan). In an attempt to communicate with him I write Urdu texts on my mobile and send it to the phones of my uncle, aunts or cousins so that they make him read it.

Regardless, the real issue that I face is the lack of the ء that comes on top of another alphabet. My only way out is hoping that Google translator understands the word and for example transliterates "gaye" as "گئے", but in the case of many words it doesn´t. Virtual keyboards are the main problem here because it only puts the ء only before or after the additional letter; hence "گئے" becomes "گیءے", which isn´t correct of course.

Is there any solution to it on virtual keyboards? Do you know any keyboard that puts the tiny ء on top?

"It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

@Nostalgic I hope you misread the title as "Hamza on top" and jump in to contribute.

"It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    حمزہ سے زیادہ مجھے اِس عربی نما رسم الخط پر اعتراض ہے۔ نستعلیق رسم الخط کیوں دستیاب نہیں؟

Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    The other issue is the text is left-justified, and it is really cumbersome to go back and edit the text. Where exactly is the end of the line? To the far left, or to the far right?

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    گۓ

There, I managed to write it in Urdu, without having to rely on Google translate. On my keyboard, ۓ is a letter. It has ۓ، ؤ، ۂ، ئ، among the possible letter combinations involving the hamza.

While we're at it, گئ، گاۓ etc all seem possible.

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    حمزہ سے زیادہ مجھے اِس عربی نما رسم الخط پر اعتراض ہے۔ نستعلیق رسم الخط کیوں دستیاب نہیں؟
    "Rasm-ul-khatt" will go down as the most intoxicating Urdu word that I´ve heard since some time. It means "script", right?
    The other issue is the text is left-justified, and it is really cumbersome to go back and edit the text. Where exactly is the end of the line? To the far left, or to the far right?
    Yup, this is another issue that I´ve faced, and I think it depends on where I´m typing my Urdu. Here on PakPassion or in the word document software on my PC, it removes a word from right to left, which is paining if you´re typing in Urdu as you can often end up removing the wrong alphabet or word. In Google Translator for example, it adjust itself to removing from left to right - as it should be whilst typing Urdu.
    گۓ

There, I managed to write it in Urdu, without having to rely on Google translate. On my keyboard, ۓ is a letter. It has ۓ، ؤ، ۂ، ئ، among the possible letter combinations involving the hamza.

While we're at it, گئ، گاۓ etc all seem possible.
    Thanks man! I can copy these and use them the next time I´ll need it.

Technically, would the tiny Hamza on top ever be required on any other alphabet apart from these? Just curious.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    "Rasm-ul-khatt" will go down as the most intoxicating Urdu word that I´ve heard since some time. It means "script", right?

Yup, this is another issue that I´ve faced, and I think it depends on where I´m typing my Urdu. Here on PakPassion or in the word document software on my PC, it removes a word from right to left, which is paining if you´re typing in Urdu as you can often end up removing the wrong alphabet or word. In Google Translator for example, it adjust itself to removing from left to right - as it should be whilst typing Urdu.

Thanks man! I can copy these and use them the next time I´ll need it.

Technically, would the tiny Hamza on top ever be required on any other alphabet apart from these? Just curious.
    Yes, Rasm-ul-khat means script.

Apart from Urdu, I would imagine many if not all of the languages of the Iranian branch would need it. Farsi, Kurdish, Pashto, Balochi among others. And Arabic too.

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Apart from Urdu, I would imagine many if not all of the languages of the Iranian branch would need it. Farsi, Kurdish, Pashto, Balochi among others. And Arabic too.
    You´re getting old, my old uncle. Read again! I had actually asked whether, technically, a tiny Hamza would ever be in Urdu on top of any letters other than those that you´d provided from your keyboard. For example, would it ever be found on top of a ب, پ or let´s say a ج?

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    You´re getting old, my old uncle. Read again! I had actually asked whether, technically, a tiny Hamza would ever be in Urdu on top of any letters other than those that you´d provided from your keyboard. For example, would it ever be found on top of a ب, پ or let´s say a ج?
    My bad, as all the young whippersnappers say. In my defense, I should mention that your exact words were open to interpretation. Had you actually said letters instead of alphabet, I would've understood. Alphabet was easy to misinterpret as script or language.

Anyhow, I can't think of any letters other than the ones in my post that would require a hamza on top, but the only way to truly find out is to keep typing in it. Maybe you'll come across a word that needs to be typed out and does indeed need a hamza on top of a letter I hadn't provided. Either that or we could go through the entire dictionary.

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

My bad, as all the young whippersnappers say. In my defense, I should mention that your exact words were open to interpretation. Had you actually said letters instead of alphabet, I would've understood. Alphabet was easy to misinterpret as script or language.

Anyhow, I can't think of any letters other than the ones in my post that would require a hamza on top, but the only way to truly find out is to keep typing in it. Maybe you'll come across a word that needs to be typed out and does indeed need a hamza on top of a letter I hadn't provided. Either that or we could go through the entire dictionary.
    Nah´, I´m that cruel to be asking you to go through the entire dictionary! I trust your knowledge of Urdu, and should there ever appear a letter that requires a Hamza on top than the ones we´ve discussed, I´ll let you know.

The problem is that my naana abbu is more fascinated by the technology of virtual Urdu written on a tiny electronic device, and at reading my messages, he´s so overcome that he hardly says anything in response. This is not the case if you write him something on a paper, as he can digest that technique easily and responds to the writing. Either way, I´ll continue to get messages sent to him.