Instagram

The Cricket Paper

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who is currently the best all-rounder in Test cricket?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ravindra Jadeja

4 5.19%
  • Shakib Al Hasan

20 25.97%
  • Ravichandran Ashwin

15 19.48%
  • Moeen Ali

18 23.38%
  • Ben Stokes

17 22.08%
  • Other

3 3.90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    643 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Who is currently the best all-rounder in Test cricket?

A few contenders for this, with Jadeja just recently climbing to the #1 spot in the ICC rankings for all-rounders. He has been virtually unplayable at times in Asia and makes handy contributions down the order.

Shakib is the current #2 has previously also been the #1 for an extended period of time and has been pretty consistent in terms of his performances with bat and ball over the course of his career.

At #3 is Ashwin who has done superbly in Asia with the ball recently and also generally bats at #6 for India and has made some crucial runs for India.

Moeen Ali is currently ranked at #4 after an excellent series against South Africa where he became the first ever cricketer to aggregate 250+ runs with 25+ wickets in a four-match Test series. He was, of course, the Man of the Series.

Rounding out the top five is Ben Stokes who has received a lot of praise and is undoubtedly the best pace-bowling all-rounder at the moment. He has played some crucial knocks with the bat, including a fantastic hundred in the recent series against South Africa while he also bowls important spells. The main thing lacking in his game is consistency at the moment.

Who is the best of the five?

There is only one right answer.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ashwin and Shakib are miles ahead of everyone else.
    Last edited by idrizzy; 13th August 2017 at 16:00.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shakib has 2 double hundreds and 15 5-fers. It's not even a contest.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Stokes
    Sakhib
    Ashwin
    Jadeja
    Moen

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    844 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    1) Moeen Ali
    2) Shakib al Hassan
    3) Ben Stokes
    4) Ravi Ashwin
    5) Ravindra Jadeja

Moeen is #1 because he's a true all-rounder in the sense that he'll get into his team (and a few others) on either of his skill-sets. He's the best spinner in England and has won them matches with the ball and he's one of the best batsmen in England and has won them matches with the bat. Also because he's in excellent form and just took down the #2 ranked team in the world.

Shakib is similar to Moeen in that he's one of the best in Bangladesh in batting and bowling. Playing for a minnow team has hurt him otherwise he'd be #1 given that he's done it longer than Moeen and would get more chances to show his ability against better teams.

Stokes, unlike the other two, can also field pretty well granting him another arrow to his bow. However, he has yet to win England a match with the ball and will he make the team on his bowling ability alone? I doubt it.

Ashwin and Jadeja are bowlers who bat a bit. The latter more than the former. Probably the best bowlers out of this group but also the poorest batsmen. Wouldn't make their team on their batting alone and have yet to make some truly substantial scores with the bat.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the key word in this is CURRENTLY. Comparing Moeen and Stokes is easy, and Moeen is the better player (mostly due to he is England's only spin option and threat), and will steady the ship most often than not. So in that regard, seeing he did exactly this vs SA, he's better than Stokes.

Shakib hasn't played many tests and recently I can't recall much. Mooen would again be ahead of him due to the fact that he plays more tests, and despite Shakib getting 15 fifers etc, that is not current. Right now I'd take Moeen.

Ashwin is a decent bat, along with Jadeja, but aren't as good as Moeen. Moeen you can say has as much as impact as these two with the ball, so it's again an easy choice.

Moeen win hands down.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idrizzy View Post
    I think the key word in this is CURRENTLY. Comparing Moeen and Stokes is easy, and Moeen is the better player (mostly due to he is England's only spin option and threat), and will steady the ship most often than not. So in that regard, seeing he did exactly this vs SA, he's better than Stokes.

Shakib hasn't played many tests and recently I can't recall much. Mooen would again be ahead of him due to the fact that he plays more tests, and despite Shakib getting 15 fifers etc, that is not current. Right now I'd take Moeen.

Ashwin is a decent bat, along with Jadeja, but aren't as good as Moeen. Moeen you can say has as much as impact as these two with the ball, so it's again an easy choice.

Moeen win hands down.
    Moeen has as much impact with the ball as Ashwin and Jadeja?

Moeen hasn't done anything away from home. He is not even close to the best.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Moeen win hands down.
    Ali's best ever rank is 18th with 625 peak rating.

Ashwin/Jadeja have been ranked 1 with peak rating of around 900.

I see a huge difference between Ashwin/Jadeja and Ali when it comes to bowling impact.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Right now, it has to be Moeen - 250+ runs @ 40 & 25 wickets against SAF means, he can get into almost any team either as bowler or batsman. While, Jadeja is officially ranked 1, hence he deserves to be considered as the best.

Overall, I tend to pick Shakib & Ashwin.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachin136 View Post
    Moeen has as much impact with the ball as Ashwin and Jadeja?

Moeen hasn't done anything away from home. He is not even close to the best.
    Yep, evidence was vs SA. I didn't say he was the best, I just said he has the same impact. That also doesn't mean he's better than them.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    Ali's best ever rank is 18th with 625 peak rating.

Ashwin/Jadeja have been ranked 1 with peak rating of around 900.

I see a huge difference between Ashwin/Jadeja and Ali when it comes to bowling impact.
    The impact of a game is how they shift it towards their side. Moeen has done that, and is a vital cog to England. Like I said I never said he was better than these two but I said he's made the same impact in terms of breakthroughs and keeping pressure.

He's the best AR due to the impact with both bat and ball.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The impact of a game is how they shift it towards their side. Moeen has done that, and is a vital cog to England. Like I said I never said he was better than these two but I said he's made the same impact in terms of breakthroughs and keeping pressure.

He's the best AR due to the impact with both bat and ball.

Breakthroughs and keeping pressure is one thing, but being main bowler to win games after games is another. I agree with all rounder comment. I was just commenting about impact as a bowler. That is not comparable.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    630 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Why is there no option for Shadab Khan ?? OP please add Shadab Khan as he's the best Test Alrounder at the moment.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaqas92 View Post
    Why is there no option for Shadab Khan ?? OP please add Shadab Khan as he's the best Test Alrounder at the moment.
    Shadab Khan has played one test match and performed very mediocre in that match

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    630 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    Shadab Khan has played one test match and performed very mediocre in that match
    Given his potential I believe he should be included in the list, he is as gifted as they come (even more so than Amir) and I firmly believe that on potential alone he is far ahead in comparison with any of the names mentioned in the OP.

Just see how's the lad performing in CPL atm. It's just a matter of time.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Philander is worth mentioning and a case can be made of him being one of the best all rounder in tests currently.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its still Ashwin IMO. Much better than any one of them with the bowl and not much worse than Stokes or Moen with the bat.He will come good overseas with the bat this time around.

Jadeja's batting in tests is overrated.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Right now stokes and Moien have done really well.

Overall I would say Shakib has been the undisputed number one allrounder in ODIs and tests. Average 41 with the bat 32.5 with the ball.

A double hundred too. Has twice scored a century and taken a Fifer in the same match. Ashwin would come second. Jadeja isn't bad but his batting is nothing special. Shakib's problem is he doesnt play enough tests.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shakib.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can someone provide stats on the recent performance(since the world cup say) of allrounders and in terms of difference between batting and bowling average.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given his potential I believe he should be included in the list, he is as gifted as they come (even more so than Amir) and I firmly believe that on potential alone he is far ahead in comparison with any of the names mentioned in the OP.

Cannot consider someone based on potential. Has to be based on performance. He needs at least 20 tests under his belt before he can go on this list.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    Can someone provide stats on the recent performance(since the world cup say) of allrounders and in terms of difference between batting and bowling average.
    Starting from 2015,

Jadeja bat avg 36 & Bowling avg 20 ( diff +16 )

Shakib bat avg 50 & bowling avg 39( diff +11 )

Ashwin bat avg 29 & bowling avg 22( diff 7 )

Stokes bat avg 36 & bowling avg 35( diff +1 )

Ali bat avg 35 & bowling avg 38( diff - 3 )

Jadeja looks standout here with bowling avg of 20 and batting avg of 35. When bowling average is near 40( in case of Ali and Shakib) then I don't see it as a good all round performance. This is simply based on how their numbers look in this period.

Jadeja is rightly ranked as number 1 all rounder in the test format at this moment.
    Last edited by Buffet; 10th August 2017 at 14:19.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Breakthroughs and keeping pressure is one thing, but being main bowler to win games after games is another. I agree with all rounder comment. I was just commenting about impact as a bowler. That is not comparable.
    Yep and thats the difference. Ashwin and Jadeja are natural bowlers who you'd expect to win you matches, whereas Moeen is someone who you expect to make an impact. If you're comparing Moeen the bowler vs Ashwin/Jadeja the bowler - it's no contest the latter two win.

Just wanted to make my point about how I view Moeen being impactful rather than your front line spinner. However in time he could be a main bowler, but you can't say that after a few successful games vs SA. Needs a bigger sample.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Starting from 2015,

Jadeja bat avg 36 & Bowling avg 20 ( diff +16 )

Shakib bat avg 50 & bowling avg 39( diff +11 )

Ashwin bat avg 29 & bowling avg 22( diff 7 )

Stokes bat avg 36 & bowling avg 35( diff +1 )

Ali bat avg 35 & bowling avg 38( diff - 3 )

Jadeja looks standout here with bowling avg of 20 and batting avg of 35. When bowling average is near 40( in case of Ali and Shakib) then I don't see it as a good all round performance. This is simply based on how their numbers look in this period.

Jadeja is rightly ranked as number 1 all rounder in the test format at this moment.
    sir ravi jay wiping the floor with other so called all rounders ...

sawaal ye ni k ap ko kyun nikaala, sawaal ye k ap aaye kaisay.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jadeja !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoUgandaCranes View Post
    sir ravi jay wiping the floor with other so called all rounders ...
    But if you've watched them play, it is obvious that Jadeja is the worst batsman out of all of them.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    643 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Question is 'currently' which is why I only included realistic contenders...

I'll add an 'other' option in the poll for anyone who might disagree with the given options though.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    North side of Londonnn
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I voted Ashwin because I always see him bagging 5 wicket hauls for fun and being comfortable with the bat; always seems to score a 50 and has centuries to his name. But now when I think about it honestly I think Moeen would win because he can make it into the team with bat or ball alone. Stokes is an excellent player who's batting is the most impactful in the England squad but I don't think he can make it into the team alone with the ball. Jadeja on the other hand has not impressed with the bat at all in his entire career from what I can remember, he's an impactful player with the ball though with match winning bowling performances. Shakib is also an excellent allrounder I like to watch but England is the only top team he's bowled well against whereas most of his wickets have come from weaker teams especially likes of Zimbabwe, swelling his wicket tally. Batting wise he's bullied the weaker Tests teams but has overachieved by playing brilliantly against Pakistan who are difficult to bat against on spinning tracks. Moeen wins this debate for me with Ashwin not far behind.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Al-Hassan of Bangladesh. The best all rounder after Jacque Kallis. Underrated guy unlucky to be playing in a weak team. Guy is a proper batsman at 5 and bowls the maximum overs for his country. Proper all rounder.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    But if you've watched them play, it is obvious that Jadeja is the worst batsman out of all of them.
    Jadeja is certainly the least accomplished batsman here in this list, but we have to always see it in context. Jadeja batting is not up there, but he is pretty much up there as a bowler. He will keep it tight even in non-spinner friendly conditions and if there is help then he will run through sides.

Jajeja is a bowling all rounder vs some one like Ali who is a batting all rounder.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hardly, if you've watched him play, especially the Oz series you'll know he's the best player of spin among the ones mentioned in the OP, though he struggles against quality pacers like most lower order bats. As compared to Moen who just failed badly (in India) at the start of his innings vs spin, or indeed pace, in friendlier batting conditions. Shakib is undoubtedly the best with his batting ability but throws it away far too often, doesn't seem to have a test match temperament for two innings, Stokes is the best vs pace.
    Last edited by R0H1T; 11th August 2017 at 08:21.

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post

Ashwin and Jadeja are bowlers who bat a bit. The latter more than the former. Probably the best bowlers out of this group but also the poorest batsmen. Wouldn't make their team on their batting alone and have yet to make some truly substantial scores with the bat.
    Ravindra Jadeja has three triple centuries in first class cricket, the highest number of triple centuries in first class cricket by any Indian. So he is not necessarily a bowler. It is just that his batting is not needed all that much in International matches and so he regards himself as a lower order batsman in his national team. Had he been a Bangladeshi player, he would have batted higher up (in number 5 or 6) and not at number 9 and accordingly his batting record would have been better.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    844 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squarecut View Post
    Ravindra Jadeja has three triple centuries in first class cricket, the highest number of triple centuries in first class cricket by any Indian. So he is not necessarily a bowler. It is just that his batting is not needed all that much in International matches and so he regards himself as a lower order batsman in his national team. Had he been a Bangladeshi player, he would have batted higher up (in number 5 or 6) and not at number 9 and accordingly his batting record would have been better.
    Perhaps. However, we won't know for sure so the undisputed best all-rounder in the world is Moeen Ali.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps. However, we won't know for sure so the undisputed best all-rounder in the world is Moeen Ali.
    Moeen is doing excellent job for his team with both bat and ball. However, his performance in asia is mediocre at best specially with ball. He is more of a batsman who can bowl as a part timer. In India he wasn't even leading spinner for his team. Id say he is prolly top 3 all rounder atm. Undisputed best? probably not

In my view
    1. Stokes
    2. Ashwin
    3. Moeen/Jadeja
    4. Sakib.

Hardik Pandya may join the rank if he can deliver for India on overseas series

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shakib and Stokes

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    598 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Brezzylad!

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Brezzylad!
    Who? Bresnan ?

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Moeen win hands down.
    Agree with this, also Mo has the 2nd highest MOM awards in the same period with 5 while Smith has 6. Rieterates the impact quality, just needs to build on this and become bit more consistent. Folk also forget how Mo has never had a defined role in he team, his stats don't do him justice but England highly value him which is what matters most despite what others say.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squarecut View Post
    Fantastic point! This is how players like Shakib shine (Its all the matter of getting chance in the team combination and how the confidence flows with the responsibility) Further we can go on to say that if Jadeja played in team like South Africa or Australia, he would have been the lone spinner in the team in their home matches and probably batted at No.11

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    844 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianG00se View Post
    Moeen is doing excellent job for his team with both bat and ball. However, his performance in asia is mediocre at best specially with ball. He is more of a batsman who can bowl as a part timer. In India he wasn't even leading spinner for his team. Id say he is prolly top 3 all rounder atm. Undisputed best? probably not

In my view
    1. Stokes
    2. Ashwin
    3. Moeen/Jadeja
    4. Sakib.

Hardik Pandya may join the rank if he can deliver for India on overseas series
    Ashwin has contributed nothing outside Asia with bat or ball. Moeen Ali, despite struggling with the ball, did score two centuries in India recently.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since 2016

Code:
    Player	Span	Mat	Runs	HS	Bat Av	100	Wkts	BBI	Bowl Av	5	Ct	St	Ave Diff
    RA Jadeja (INDIA)	2016-2017	16	663	90	41.43	0	87	7/48	23.47	5	11	0	17.96
    Shakib Al Hasan (BDESH)	2016-2017	7	656	217	46.85	2	29	5/85	31.68	1	0	0	15.16
    BA Stokes (ENG)	2016-2017	16	1203	258	42.96	3	40	5/73	28.82	1	20	0	14.13
    R Ashwin (INDIA)	2016-2017	20	831	118	34.62	2	110	7/59	25.67	10	7	0	8.95
    MM Ali (ENG)	2016-2017	21	1330	155*	44.33	4	62	6/53	37.95	3	10	0	6.38
    MDK Perera (SL)	2016-2017	11	523	92*	32.68	0	37	6/70	37.94	1	6	0	-5.25

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ashwin has contributed nothing outside Asia with bat or ball. Moeen Ali, despite struggling with the ball, did score two centuries in India recently.
    Ashwin scored 2 100s outside Asia.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1716 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Since 2014 , Shakib has best record but his form off late has dipped quite a lot.
    Name:  AR-list.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  104.5 KB

Aaj ka kaam kal karo, Kal ka kaam parson. Aisi bhi jaldi kya hai, Jab jeena hai barson.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stokes, followed by Shakib.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeetu View Post
    Since 2014 , Shakib has best record but his form off late has dipped quite a lot.
    Name:  AR-list.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  104.5 KB
    His batting form has soared but bowling has been ordinary I will agree.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On potential I'd say Shakib & Stokes are the best, pure numbers - Jadeja, in the last 3 years.
    Last edited by idrizzy; 13th August 2017 at 16:00.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jadeja has the numbers to be ranked #1 atm but in any given day it's still a contest between Shakib and Stokes. Both of them are more of an IMPACT player than Jadeja. In a couple of years, Panday will join the club for sure if he continues playing like he is atm.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    844 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlizeeFan View Post
    Ashwin scored 2 100s outside Asia.
    All countries outside Asia are not the same.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Chris Woakes. He is a very underrated all-rounder. He is definitely one of the best (seam) bowling all-rounder in tests at the moment (with the possible exception of big Vern).

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All countries outside Asia are not the same.
    Ali has mostly been a part timer at best in spin friendly conditions. Bowling avg of 52 in Ind, UAE and WI.

He averages 29 with bat in those countries.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Hafeez

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    844 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Ali has mostly been a part timer at best in spin friendly conditions. Bowling avg of 52 in Ind, UAE and WI.

He averages 29 with bat in those countries.
    He was playing as an opener in the UAE. Come back to me when Ashwin ever opens for his national team. He scored two centuries in India and West Indies doesn't really matter.

Ashwin has failed with bat and ball in three of the most high-profile test-playing countries and has never played against Pakistan. Him and Jadeja have inflated stats due to tailor-made home pitches and bullying weak teams away.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was playing as an opener in the UAE. Come back to me when Ashwin ever opens for his national team. He scored two centuries in India and West Indies doesn't really matter.

Ashwin has failed with bat and ball in three of the most high-profile test-playing countries and has never played against Pakistan. Him and Jadeja have inflated stats due to tailor-made home pitches and bullying weak teams away.
    None of this makes Ali better than him.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Right now, it has to be Moeen - 250+ runs @ 40 & 25 wickets against SAF means, he can get into almost any team either as bowler or batsman. While, Jadeja is officially ranked 1, hence he deserves to be considered as the best.

Overall, I tend to pick Shakib & Ashwin.
    its easily shakib then ashwin...a gun bowler but again he doesnt have that much n batting...shakib as an allrounder can make his way into any team either as a pure batsaman or a bowler,although as a spin option he cant make it to asian teams...
    Last edited by UN talkz; 16th August 2017 at 06:09.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is shakib.but again it depends on conditions,in asia shakib in eng,aus and SA stokes,,,but team composition is another thing to be considered,,,i will go with stokes in non asian conditions...

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    844 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    None of this makes Ali better than him.
    Whatever you say. It is clear to most people that Moeen Ali is the superior all-rounder however.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever you say. It is clear to most people that Moeen Ali is the superior all-rounder however.
    Yes it's clear to most people that Ashwin is better all-rounder atm.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    England players have notoriously struggled with batting in India, those 2 hundreds are not to be taken for granted; Moeen has more hundreds then Joe Root in India, those centuries were monumental milestones.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    England players have notoriously struggled with batting in India, those 2 hundreds are not to be taken for granted; Moeen has more hundreds then Joe Root in India, those centuries were monumental milestones.
    He averages 35 with bat, Ashwin averages 33. He is marginally better batsman than Ashwin atm.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't & you;re talking about Aus. Before the last series England lost the least number of tests in India in the last two decades, between them & Oz/SA/NZ.

On the flattest surfaces we played on in the last 5 years, not to mention he failed almost every time we responded in second innings of the game with a massive lead, his first hundred was also very dodgy with Pujara dropping him on nought.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1716 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Away stats gives interesting twist to stats. Only 2 players have higher batting average than bowling avg.
    Name:  AR away.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  112.3 KB

Aaj ka kaam kal karo, Kal ka kaam parson. Aisi bhi jaldi kya hai, Jab jeena hai barson.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeetu View Post
    Away stats gives interesting twist to stats. Only 2 players have higher batting average than bowling avg.
    Name:  AR away.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  112.3 KB
    UAE matches are like away matches for many non-Asian teams

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From 2016

Code:
    Player	Span	Mat	Runs	HS	Bat Av	100	Wkts	BBI	Bowl Av	5	Ct	St	Ave Diff
    R Ashwin (INDIA)	2016-2017	7	367	118	52.42	2	34	7/83	24.52	3	0	0	27.89
    BA Stokes (ENG)	2016-2016	10	858	258	47.66	2	30	5/73	25.56	1	8	0	22.10
    Shakib Al Hasan (BDESH)	2017-2017	5	550	217	55.00	2	17	4/50	41.05	0	0	0	13.94
    VD Philander (SA)	2016-2017	9	383	73	34.81	0	24	5/21	30.00	1	4	0	4.81
    MM Ali (ENG)	2016-2016	10	573	146	38.20	2	24	5/57	52.91	1	4	0	-14.71
    Ashwin averages 50 with bat and 24 with ball. Moeen Ali has improved his batting and averages 38 with bat while averaging 53 with ball.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    He averages 35 with bat, Ashwin averages 33. He is marginally better batsman than Ashwin atm.
    Ashwin wouldn't get into the second string Warwickshire XI

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0H1T View Post
    They don't & you;re talking about Aus. Before the last series England lost the least number of tests in India in the last two decades, between them & Oz/SA/NZ.

On the flattest surfaces we played on in the last 5 years, not to mention he failed almost every time we responded in second innings of the game with a massive lead, his first hundred was also very dodgy with Pujara dropping him on nought.
    The fact is, Ali has more hundreds in India then Joe Root. Hundreds in India for an Englishman are golden

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    844 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Ashwin is not getting into any team on his batting alone. Moeen will get into most teams on his batting and bowling.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ashwin is not getting into any team on his batting alone. Moeen will get into most teams on his batting and bowling.
    Moeen would not get into a single team except England on his batting or bowling alone. He wouldn't get into India's team even as an all-rounder.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact is, Ali has more hundreds in India then Joe Root. Hundreds in India for an Englishman are golden
    That;s your opinion, the fact is he didn;t follow up his hundreds with good second innings runs, in any of the tests he had a second gig in.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0H1T View Post
    That;s your opinion, the fact is he didn;t follow up his hundreds with good second innings runs, in any of the tests he had a second gig in.
    He's an A/R who's an impact individual and admittedly he's not going to come to the party every time but he always pays England back in double, easily their most valuable talent at the moment

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Bairstow, the most underrated test cricketer at the moment

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A batsman averaging 35 can get into any team on batting alone? Which batsman can he replace in Pakistan, Aus, Ind, NZ and SA teams?

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is only correct answer to this right now.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shak is #2 only to Imran Khan amongst Asian ARs.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any doubt?

ONLY player in test history, (how can I say this, from the beginning of time)

80+ aggregated runs, plus 10 wickets, (this is the kicker) in TWO test matches.

Did I say no player before him did it? Yup, it includes Sobers, Imran, Hadlee, Kapil, and the current lot as well.

Stay in denial. He is not done writing test history yet.

Forgive when you are on top. Don't you want to be forgiven?

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think atm Moeen Ali and Shakib is. Ben Stokes is not even close to these two guys

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UAE matches are like away matches for many non-Asian teams

What a statistics! Shakib Al Hasan ,the best all rounder has been omitted!

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jaddu's ride to no 1 will be temporary.Shakib is going to conquer his favorite spot,which he has hold for most of the time in last few years.He is not only a no 1 all rounder,but he is a great of the game

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainul View Post
    Jaddu's ride to no 1 will be temporary.Shakib is going to conquer his favorite spot,which he has hold for most of the time in last few years.He is not only a no 1 all rounder,but he is a great of the game
    Jadeja already displaced a few weeks ago

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainul View Post
    What a statistics! Shakib Al Hasan ,the best all rounder has been omitted!
    He hasn't taken more than 25 wickets abroad in the last few years. Tbh didn't play much abroad either

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He hasn't taken more than 25 wickets abroad in the last few years. Tbh didn't play much abroad either
    Now i get it. It's a pity that Bangladesh don't get invited by foreign boards.I hope it changes this time as Bangladesh is a strong force at home like other top teams.