Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Misbah-ul-Haq will continue to play domestic cricket

Kaptaan will be leading faisalabad in national t20 cup.

Good to see the guy playing

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    And before someone comes in hating that hes playing domestic cricket and should move away.

Many oldies continue to play domestic cricket even after international.

Mushtaq ahmed continued playing county, azhar mehmood also played till late

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1031 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post

Definitely, PAK stars need to play more and more in domestics, which will bring crowd & inspire next gen. Afridi, in his 23 years & counting career, has played 117 FC matches - excluding 27 Tests & probably equal number of tour matches for PAK, PAK A - that's about 3 matches/year in domestics ..........

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When does this actually start? I'm pretty sure it started at the end of August last year, and they haven't even published the schedule for this year yet!
    @Abdullah719 any updates brother?

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shows how selfish he is

blocking the place of a potential youngster and future player for pak

what does he gain by playing domestic cricket at this age after retiring from international cricket?

if he is desperate for money he should take up a mentor role with islamabad united in psl

his playing days are gone

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1049 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

well afaik he is still gonna play in PSL so maybe its to keep fitness and form for that?

id be really impressed and will give him credit if he plays FC as well

#MPGA

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    690 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hoping that this is true. I'll probably tune in if that's the case.

You don't burn calories by jumping to conclusions.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    449 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mak36 View Post
    When does this actually start? I'm pretty sure it started at the end of August last year, and they haven't even published the schedule for this year yet!
    @Abdullah719 any updates brother?
    Normally PCB announce the schedule of all domestic tournaments together.

Last year we received it on 17th August so it can't be too far away.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Normally PCB announce the schedule of all domestic tournaments together.

Last year we received it on 17th August so it can't be too far away.
    Thank you Abdullah bhai- you are always a great help.

It never ceases to amaze me how late they announce the schedule- if those timings are right there will only be a two weeks gap between the publication and the tournament start date!

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    The Eurasian Plate
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem with him playing but he shouldnt be captain. Youngsters with leadership potential should be given chances to captain in domestic tournaments.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He is only taking the spot of a younger player.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    It's a positive as his experience is useful to younger players especially since Misbah is a hard worker with a passion for the game.

It'll start to rub off on the others.

Plus, you can't have young players guiding younger players on the field.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    690 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post
    He is only taking the spot of a younger player.
    Except he is much better than your Shehzad even at his age.

You don't burn calories by jumping to conclusions.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Tears of joy. Really happy for the OP and Misbah.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
    Except he is much better than your Shehzad even at his age.
    Shehzad is already the captain for Lahore Blues.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    In your dil, but not in your dimaag.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    860 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    After his match saving performance in Christchurch 2016, the man deserves to do as he pleases. While majority of his career was just above average, patches of it were absolutely legendary and bordered greatness.

Maybe the youngsters will learn from him.

Swing it like Akram, whack it like Afridi, live it like Inti.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    After his match saving performance in Christchurch 2016, the man deserves to do as he pleases. While majority of his career was just above average, patches of it were absolutely legendary and bordered greatness.

Maybe the youngsters will learn from him.
    huh? What did he do in Christchurch?

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post
    huh? What did he do in Christchurch?
    It was a breathtaking display of attacking shots.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Great news, i hope he is used as a talent scout for the national team.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ryan sidebottom, Collingwood, Threscotick, Ian bell and dozens of old players still play county cricket and i dont even remember when these guys played their last international game and they play all 3 formats except Threscotick... What's wrong in MISBAH or any other retired player playing domestic cricket.

SIR DONALD BRADMAN ------SORRY, BUT NO ONE LIKE HIM

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UN talkz View Post
    Ryan sidebottom, Collingwood, Threscotick, Ian bell and dozens of old players still play county cricket and i dont even remember when these guys played their last international game and they play all 3 formats except Threscotick... What's wrong in MISBAH or any other retired player playing domestic cricket.
    Exactly. Plus given he doesn't have any agenda, he will select the best playing XI and play them where they are best suited. Shahzad and the other captains who are desperate to be selected again will play the younger players out of position on purpose as they view them as "competition."

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    860 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Exactly. Plus given he doesn't have any agenda, he will select the best playing XI and play them where they are best suited. Shahzad and the other captains who are desperate to be selected again will play the younger players out of position on purpose as they view them as "competition."
    Well, Misbah was never much of an advocate for youngsters. But in all seriousness yes he does have the right to play, has to make money somehow and as long as he is performing...

The only thing is which domestic circuit in the world tends to a 43+ year old dada jaan. He is in that age, and I don't think he will survive an entire season. If he does though, which is entirely possible given the competition's quality, then props to him.

To the post above yours, Ian Bell, believe it or not, still has a future in the England test top order with the patience running thin with their undercooked young batsmen who are flopping like Gary Ballance and Jennings.

Treschotick is the only one in his 40s, and even then the England domestic set up isn't dominated by uncles in their mid to late 30s like it is in Pakistan with household legends Imran Farhat, Faisal Iqbal, Sir Kamcelot, Zulfi baba running the show. They have young batsmen, mainly the guys in their current international team these days who do well in these natwest and friends for life t20 and 50 over competitions. So it is about setting and maintaining this "uncles first" precedence in our domestic environment which is already prevalent, I.e. senior will be selected for 'experience' and youngster shunned because he threatens his spot in the team and senior was a buddy and been around a while. Plus, brings halwa puri after the game.

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's great that he's playing domestic.

Don't think of it as taking a place of one youngster. Think of it as his training by example up to 21 domestic players (10 on his side, 11 in the opposition, not counting those on the bench) who are getting exposure to what it means to reach international standard.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    yes he is captaining Faisalabad team in upcoming t20 cup

New Era of Team Pakistan

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Misbah was never much of an advocate for youngsters. But in all seriousness yes he does have the right to play, has to make money somehow and as long as he is performing...

The only thing is which domestic circuit in the world tends to a 43+ year old dada jaan. He is in that age, and I don't think he will survive an entire season. If he does though, which is entirely possible given the competition's quality, then props to him.

To the post above yours, Ian Bell, believe it or not, still has a future in the England test top order with the patience running thin with their undercooked young batsmen who are flopping like Gary Ballance and Jennings.

Treschotick is the only one in his 40s, and even then the England domestic set up isn't dominated by uncles in their mid to late 30s like it is in Pakistan with household legends Imran Farhat, Faisal Iqbal, Sir Kamcelot, Zulfi baba running the show. They have young batsmen, mainly the guys in their current
    international team these days who do well in these natwest and friends for life t20 and 50 over competitions. So it is about setting and maintaining this "uncles first" precedence in our domestic environment which is already prevalent, I.e. senior will be selected for 'experience' and youngster shunned because he threatens his spot in the team and senior was a buddy and been around a while. Plus, brings halwa puri after the game.
    Misbah as IU captain brought in Shadab Khan, Hussain Talat, Rumman Raees and Amad Butt- two of those have gone on to become international players and it's likely at least one another (Talat) will play for PCT in near future (Amad Butt has regressed a little- I hope he has a good season this year). I digress, the point is at a domestic level he's certainly helped support youngsters being brought in to the playing XI/squad.

Collingwood and Trescothick are both 41 and counting. Yet I would rather play them than the TTFs you have mentioned, even though the first three TTFs you mentioned are 35 and Zulfi is 38 (by your logic the criterion of age means the TTFs deserve more of a place than Collingwood and Trescothick), whereas I look at what they contribute to the team. It's not just about performance. It's also about whether the player will be a good guiding hand and treat younger players fairly by selecting the best playing XI and play them where they are best suited. Misbah will do that. Shahzad and the other captains who are desperate to be selected again will play the younger players out of position on purpose as they view them as "competition."

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a follow up, I am a big fan of investing in the youth and I am glad to see we are moving on from the senior culture in the national team, especially in the shorter formats. However it would be foolish to turn your back on any and all experienced players (especially if they are only wanting to play at a domestic level) and tar them all with the same brush- I look at the individual and make an assessment. For example, I think it is time we started developing alternatives to Malik and Hafeez. However, that's not to say I oppose Malik continuing to play domestic- from what I have heard he has been brilliant for a lot of the young talent coming through and he has really supported them.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's great he's playing domestic. Guys, remember domestic cricket is very different to international and there is a lot less pressure and skill required hence many players still play county years after retiring from International cricket. I don't think he should be captain though, like someone else also said, should give a youngster the captaincy

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good and yoi will see him smash some of those domestic trundlers for fun. Also for the younger guys playing with and against him will be a good experience.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    And as expected some really stupid replies.

Make way for youngster

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Make way for youngster
    don't mind him playing.
    do mind him captaining. he should himself say that he doesn't want captaincy and let someone else do those things.

sawaal ye ni k ap ko kyun nikaala, sawaal ye k ap aaye kaisay.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    860 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Misbah as IU captain brought in Shadab Khan, Hussain Talat, Rumman Raees and Amad Butt- two of those have gone on to become international players and it's likely at least one another (Talat) will play for PCT in near future (Amad Butt has regressed a little- I hope he has a good season this year). I digress, the point is at a domestic level he's certainly helped support youngsters being brought in to the playing XI/squad.

Collingwood and Trescothick are both 41 and counting. Yet I would rather play them than the TTFs you have mentioned, even though the first three TTFs you mentioned are 35 and Zulfi is 38 (by your logic the criterion of age means the TTFs deserve more of a place than Collingwood and Trescothick), whereas I look at what they contribute to the team. It's not just about performance. It's also about whether the player will be a good guiding hand and treat younger players fairly by selecting the best playing XI and play them where they are best suited. Misbah will do that. Shahzad and the other captains who are desperate to be selected again will play the younger players out of position on purpose as they view them as "competition."
    I was talking about the international team. He is pretty well known here for promoting older guys over the young, in his 6 years of captaincy we didn't see as many youngsters being inducted, pretty much none of the guys you mentioned came in under him in the intl team and those who did had very brief stays.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was talking about the international team. He is pretty well known here for promoting older guys over the young, in his 6 years of captaincy we didn't see as many youngsters being inducted, pretty much none of the guys you mentioned came in under him in the intl team and those who did had very brief stays.
    Re-read what I wrote:

"The point is at a domestic level he's certainly helped support youngsters being brought in to the playing XI/squad."

Domestic cricket is what the topic of this conversation is.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    shows how selfish he is

what does he gain by playing domestic cricket at this age after retiring from international cricket?

if he is desperate for money he should take up a mentor role with islamabad united in psl

Don't know whether you are a troll or a smark, but honestly speaking, Faisalabad team is a very weak team with little to almost none batting power in their lineup. They have some good up and coming bowlers, and with an experienced campaigner like Misbah in the ranks, it will give the bowlers some runs to defend or some faith to bowl with freedom, plus his tactical nous is among the very best in our cricket. It only adds to the star power. If there is a deserving youngster there, then he surely can take one of the other 6 places as Faisalabad has no proper international level batsman.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is and was only one Kaptaan, Imran Khan, others are not.

Its unfortunate that Misbah's selfishness has not ended. He is still blocking the spot for a youngster in domestic cricket. What exactly he is going to achieve by playing domestic cricket, trying to make a comeback ???

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    It's great he's playing domestic. Guys, remember domestic cricket is very different to international and there is a lot less pressure and skill required hence many players still play county years after retiring from International cricket. I don't think he should be captain though, like someone else also said, should give a youngster the captaincy
    What exactly Pakistan cricket or even local cricket will get any benefit from this 44 year old blocking one youngster's spot in the team. This is extreme of selfishness, I'm not surprised.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

He did not bring in those players. Islamabad has two young talent scouts(Wasim mentioned their names, forgetting atm) that follow domestic who identified these players.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    This senior-junior debate is not as black and white as some make out. If there is merit to that senior player, and he has something to offer then its not an issue.

If its an undeserving senior like Faisal Iqbal, Imran Farhat or Sohail Tanvir then I'd be livid. Those guys abuse their status and don't belong in a team on merit.

Misbah however is not in that category. He does have a record of using more youngsters in PSL like Shadab Khan, Amad Butt, Rumman Raees and Sharjeel Khan (pre-fixing) compared to other PSL teams like Karachi Kings and Peshawar Zalmi.

Go back and look at those Kings and Zalmi teams last year - Hasan Ali and Usama Mir are the only two youngsters I can think of at the top of my head who were regular features. Yet its only Misbah who gets singled out for bias towards seniors !

The Islamabad and Peshawar teams for this National T20 are travesties. At least with Faisalabad you've got Sahibzada Farhan, Fahim Ashraf and two local youngsters in Ali Shan and Asad Raza.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest I'm fine with him playing domestics I just don't like him taking up the captaincy spot while they could've been giving that to a younger player to get candidates for future captaincy.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    He did not bring in those players. Islamabad has two young talent scouts(Wasim mentioned their names, forgetting atm) that follow domestic who identified these players.
    I obviously wasn't suggesting he personally went out and scouted them (he was busy enough as test captain!) As I said, he brought them into the playing XI and gave them fair opportunities- he deserves credit for that. Here's the relevant passage:

Quote Originally Posted by mak36
    It's also about whether the player will be a good guiding hand and treat younger players fairly by selecting the best playing XI and play them where they are best suited. Misbah will do that. Shahzad and the other captains who are desperate to be selected again will play the younger players out of position on purpose as they view them as competition.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    Don't know whether you are a troll or a smark, but honestly speaking, Faisalabad team is a very weak team with little to almost none batting power in their lineup. They have some good up and coming bowlers, and with an experienced campaigner like Misbah in the ranks, it will give the bowlers some runs to defend or some faith to bowl with freedom, plus his tactical nous is among the very best in our cricket. It only adds to the star power. If there is a deserving youngster there, then he surely can take one of the other 6 places as Faisalabad has no proper international level batsman.
    sorry but i don't buy this excuse

yes faisalabad is a weak batting team but that does not mean that misbah should be playing for them till he is 50 years old

as long as faisalabad are banking on these old players who have no future they will never improve as a team. they need to invest in youth and persisting with grandfathers like misbah is not the way forward

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    This senior-junior debate is not as black and white as some make out. If there is merit to that senior player, and he has something to offer then its not an issue.

If its an undeserving senior like Faisal Iqbal, Imran Farhat or Sohail Tanvir then I'd be livid. Those guys abuse their status and don't belong in a team on merit.

Misbah however is not in that category. He does have a record of using more youngsters in PSL like Shadab Khan, Amad Butt, Rumman Raees and Sharjeel Khan (pre-fixing) compared to other PSL teams like Karachi Kings and Peshawar Zalmi.

Go back and look at those Kings and Zalmi teams last year - Hasan Ali and Usama Mir are the only two youngsters I can think of at the top of my head who were regular features. Yet its only Misbah who gets singled out for bias towards seniors !

The Islamabad and Peshawar teams for this National T20 are travesties. At least with Faisalabad you've got Sahibzada Farhan, Fahim Ashraf and two local youngsters in Ali Shan and Asad Raza.

The hilarious thing was that Karachi fans were saying Misbah only plays oldies yet Karachi added to there squad at the start of the lat PSL, Sangakara, Gayle, and Jaywardne who were over 35 yet nothing was said lol.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post

Finally someone talks some sense. I have been saying this all along! People need to get off Misbah's back- the selection of TTFs is doing far more harm to player development. Misbah will be a positive influence on the youngsters in his squad and they will be given fair opportunities under him. As you have mentioned the Faisalabad squad is pretty decent from a young talent POV, especially when you look at most of the other squads.

Of the squads you have mentioned, Peshawar's saving grace is the selection of Saif Badar.

Islamabad's squad is an embarrassment- the worst part is three internationals (Hassan Ali, Imad Wasim and Shoaib Malik) will probably cover up just how bad some of the selections are.

Out of all the squads, FATA should be commended for giving youngsters an opportunity.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make way for youngster
    You can criticise those posters but truth is if Misbah was still ODI skipper Pakistan wouldn't have won the CT

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    shows how selfish he is

Forget about the money. Having Misbah in the team will a) bring crowds, fans, kids to games, b) benefit team members, who will learn from playing with Misbah and his incredible cricket intelligence, c) make the team stronger, so why the ageism?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really hope people could give their views independently and without bias. Throughout Misbah's career, all he has received is hate. From anchors to posters, every one labeled him tuktuk. I still remember that moment when the news broke out about spot fixing and honestly, for whatever cricket I have watched - that was the darkest moment. This guy brought us out of that chaos where people started to want to play against us, to where we are respected again. And I am not saying he is above or better than Imran Khan or Hanif Mohammad, I am just asking the people to give credit where it is due.

To those people, who are whining about him captaining or still playing domestic cricket - do you know the current condition of our domestic? On one side we whine that not enough international players play our domestic and on the other side when he is playing we have a problem. Moreover, think of the ethos, the standards and what not he would bring to the Faislabad team.