Instagram


The Cricket Paper

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    551
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    'Fair Is Not The Only Lovely Or Handsome': Cricketer A. Mukund Responds To Trolls On His Skin Colour

    Indian cricketer Abhinav Mukund has slammed racial abuse on social media, saying that he has himself been at the receiving end of insults and ridicule for his skin tone.

    In a statement posted on his Twitter page, Mukund, who featured in the first Test against Sri Lanka in the ongoing series and scored 81 in the second innings, expressed his disappointment at some of messages sent to him targetting his skin tone.

    The left-handed Tamil Nadu batsman, however, made it clear that his statement had nothing to do with any member of the Indian cricket team.

    "I am writing today not to garner sympathy or attention but with the hope to change the mindset of people on an issue I feel strongly about. I have been travelling a lot within and outside our country since I was 15. Ever since I was young, people's obsession with my skin colour has always been a mystery to me," his statement, posted on Wednesday night, read.

    "Anyone who follows cricket would understand the obvious. I have played and trained day in and day out in the sun and not even once have I regretted the fact that I have tanned or lost a couple of shades.

    "It is simply because I love what I do and I have been able to achieve certain things only because I have spent hours outdoors. I come from Chennai probably one of the hottest places in the country and I have gladly spent most of my adult life in the cricket ground."

    Further, the 27-year-old said that he has been subjected to this abuse for long and it has not ended. "I have been subjected to a lot of name calling and I have laughed and shrugged it off because I had bigger goals! Affected young, I toughened up because this was never something that would pull me down.

    "There were many times when I chose not to dignify these insults with responses. Today I am speaking up not just for me but for many from our country who experience ridicule based on the colour of one's skin. Obviously with the rise of social media, it has gone to magnitude that I see people hurling abuses left, right and centre at something I have absolutely no control over!
    "Fair is not the only lovely or handsome guys! Stay true, stay focussed and be comfortable in your own skin," he concluded.

    His statement evoked strong response from his fans, who praised him for sharing his thoughts on the subject.

    Bengal cricketer Manoj Tiwary, replying to him, tweeted, "Well said ABHINAV."
    In his latest post this morning, the 27-year-old Mukund made it clear that his statement has nothing to do with Indian team.

    "Guys please don't turn this into something else,it has absolutely no connection to anyone in the team. It is mainly targeted at people Who have been posting abuses about colour and saying absolutely derogatory things about the tone of my skin. That s all !," he tweeted.

    He further appealed,"Please don't turn this into something political,I just wanted to make a positive statement hoping to make a change. That's all."
    Mukund has played seven Tests for India and is yet to make his ODI debut.

    https://www.outlookindia.com/website...-to-tro/300227



    Absolutely DISGUSTING and just underlines how backward the country still is in some matters, despite all the talk of record growth rates, growing urbanisation, improving standards of living and what not, a significant number of people in the country continue to live under the philosophy of "Fairer is better", hell just a little glance at the matrimonial section of the papers makes me nauseated with all the demands of "fair skinned" brides above anything else throughout the section.

    And believe me, it's not some bad apples either.. such thinking is still widespread throughout the society still dividing us Indians on the basis of color, caste and religion. Unbelievably narrow minded thinking from the so called future superpower.
    Last edited by Proactive_; 10th August 2017 at 11:14.

  2. #2
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    387
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's really sad and horrible what people with a darker skin tone have to put up with in desi communities. Can't disagree with anything you say at the bottom of the article, this sort of thinking is unfortunately endemic in my community too, and immediate family.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    20,178
    Mentioned
    1099 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Well this is a bit of an awkward argument if you look at it.

    He isn't exactly saying something along the lines of 'That IS my skin tone and I am proud of it." This is what he should have said because it is the truth. However he seems to be making an excuse and basically saying that having a dark skin tone is just a sacrifice he is willing to pay for his goals.

    Consider this

    "Anyone who follows cricket would understand the obvious. I have played and trained day in and day out in the sun and not even once have I regretted the fact that I have tanned or lost a couple of shades.
    This makes it sound as if he had a choice in choosing his skin tone. As if he means 'I could have been fairer and more beautiful but I sacrificed it for playing a sport I love.' This is wrong way to go. Besides tanned does not mean a dark skin tone.

    To add to this he follows up with:

    "It is simply because I love what I do and I have been able to achieve certain things only because I have spent hours outdoors. I come from Chennai probably one of the hottest places in the country and I have gladly spent most of my adult life in the cricket ground."
    Again. The line of thinking seems to be:
    "Look I am dark skinned because I am from Chennai where it is so hot and because I spend so many hours in the sun."

    He is not owing the dark skin tone. Besides this is insane logic to say that his location is reason for dark skin.

    It would have been much better for Mukund if he had just simply said - "I am proud of my skin tone and I dont care what anyone has to say."

    Here it appears that his line of thinking is similar to what his trolls thoughts are. And that he is simply giving justification for his dark color rather than owning it and taking pride in it

    Thoughts guys @JaDed @SandyB @Sachin136 @Napa @ProActive and others

  4. #4
    Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    17,585
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There's a disgusting mentality amongst desi people that you have to be fair to be attractive. I dont know whether it's inferiority complex or what. I have even seen mothers worried that their little kids are too dark. It boils my blood. Idiots


    Kuch to log kahenge
    Logon ka kaam hai kehna

  5. #5
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    551
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Well this is a bit of an awkward argument if you look at it.

    He isn't exactly saying something along the lines of 'That IS my skin tone and I am proud of it." This is what he should have said because it is the truth. However he seems to be making an excuse and basically saying that having a dark skin tone is just a sacrifice he is willing to pay for his goals.

    Consider this



    This makes it sound as if he had a choice in choosing his skin tone. As if he means 'I could have been fairer and more beautiful but I sacrificed it for playing a sport I love.' This is wrong way to go. Besides tanned does not mean a dark skin tone.

    To add to this he follows up with:



    Again. The line of thinking seems to be:
    "Look I am dark skinned because I am from Chennai where it is so hot and because I spend so many hours in the sun."

    He is not owing the dark skin tone. Besides this is insane logic to say that his location is reason for dark skin.

    It would have been much better for Mukund if he had just simply said - "I am proud of my skin tone and I dont care what anyone has to say."

    Here it appears that his line of thinking is similar to what his trolls thoughts are. And that he is simply giving justification for his dark color rather than owning it and taking pride in it

    Thoughts guys @JaDed @SandyB @Sachin136 @Napa @ProActive and others
    I still sympathise with him to an extent tbh. I know it still isn't the wisest choice of words with regards to the change that is advocating, but you got to understand that the culture here is such that being dark skinned has many more connotations attached to it than just concerning skin color, some even going to issues like casteism. From early childhood, children see the maids working at their home being rural dark skinned lower caste (another horrible term which is sadly still used) people who are more often than that treated beneath themselves by their parents, rebuked for every small thing, not allowed to even sit at the same level that the family members sit and basically just treated like a sub human being. Naturally, when the children grow up and go to schools, they form the same image of darker skinned children and start considering them beneath themselves and acting towards them like their parents act towards the maids. This behaviour just snowballs throughout the society at all levels giving rise to this MASSIVE scale discrimination at all levels just due to the colour of the skin. It's a sad reality tbh.

  6. #6
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    4,556
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    Mukund has nice features and bone structure. I wish I looked like him.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Saudi Arabia
    Runs
    650
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok now i wanna share a question about this. Would love an indian poster to answer this.

    As an expatriate living in saudi, i interacted with indians a lot even since my teenage days. Had a lot of indian friends, for a while studied in igsce curriculum School which had complete indian faculty as well as management. Mostyly the wxpats that are in middel east belong from south india (mainly andhra pradesh, tamil & kerala guys). There are indians from karnatak and other cities like lucknow, mumbai as well but they are in the minority here. Hyderabadis are everywhere here. There is a joke here that when you lift the cup of tea which you are sipping, you will find a hyderabadi underneath it.

    Now i have studied with indians, had indian neighbors go to indian restaurants here, visit indian doctors and play weekend cricket in a team comprising both pak and indian guys. What I have noticed is that most of the indians are a bit dark in complexion. Doesn't matter which areas they would belong to. Of course there are exceptions too. I know one guy in my team, he is from chennai and is the fairest of us all. But what i couldn't understand ever since i was a kid was why in movies indians were being portrayed as people with fair complexion especially the lead actors. On indian tv, i would watch the stupid ads of lux and fair and lovely. Why this obsession when it isn't true in the first place. Isn't it grossly unfair to the indian people and to the young generation watching it on tv

    We too have a similar obsession in pak and i can't understand it either. Although in our defense, i can say that maybe it is because we have a significant percentage of people that are fair. But again that doesn't make sense at all. I don't wanna blame the **** for all of this. **** isnt telling us right now to ridicule our own countrymen on basis of color. There has to be some psychological reason behind this rationale of ours

  8. #8
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    4,556
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Proactive_ View Post
    I still sympathise with him to an extent tbh. I know it still isn't the wisest choice of words with regards to the change that is advocating, but you got to understand that the culture here is such that being dark skinned has many more connotations attached to it than just concerning skin color, some even going to issues like casteism. From early childhood, children see the maids working at their home being rural dark skinned lower caste (another horrible term which is sadly still used) people who are more often than that treated beneath themselves by their parents, rebuked for every small thing, not allowed to even sit at the same level that the family members sit and basically just treated like a sub human being. Naturally, when the children grow up and go to schools, they form the same image of darker skinned children and start considering them beneath themselves and acting towards them like their parents act towards the maids. This behaviour just snowballs throughout the society at all levels giving rise to this MASSIVE scale discrimination at all levels just due to the colour of the skin. It's a sad reality tbh.
    Well said.

    Dark skin is associated with low caste and Dalit which no one wants in India. So any person born into upper or middle castes with darker skin is seen as unattractive compared to their siblings.

    This is one of the reasons why families want a fair skinned bride for their son. They want light skinned babies. This mindset is something that is hard to change. Bollywood does a wonderful job of promoting this culture.

  9. #9
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    20,192
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    The subcontinent still has the mindset of the third world, and it's not surprising really because that's what it is. Think back to western countries fifty years ago and you would get an idea of where they are in terms of progress. Hopefully with increasing wealth these attitudes will change sooner rather than later.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  10. #10
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    4,556
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TQ89 View Post
    Ok now i wanna share a question about this. Would love an indian poster to answer this.

    As an expatriate living in saudi, i interacted with indians a lot even since my teenage days. Had a lot of indian friends, for a while studied in igsce curriculum School which had complete indian faculty as well as management. Mostyly the wxpats that are in middel east belong from south india (mainly andhra pradesh, tamil & kerala guys). There are indians from karnatak and other cities like lucknow, mumbai as well but they are in the minority here. Hyderabadis are everywhere here. There is a joke here that when you lift the cup of tea which you are sipping, you will find a hyderabadi underneath it.

    Now i have studied with indians, had indian neighbors go to indian restaurants here, visit indian doctors and play weekend cricket in a team comprising both pak and indian guys. What I have noticed is that most of the indians are a bit dark in complexion. Doesn't matter which areas they would belong to. Of course there are exceptions too. I know one guy in my team, he is from chennai and is the fairest of us all. But what i couldn't understand ever since i was a kid was why in movies indians were being portrayed as people with fair complexion especially the lead actors. On indian tv, i would watch the stupid ads of lux and fair and lovely. Why this obsession when it isn't true in the first place. Isn't it grossly unfair to the indian people and to the young generation watching it on tv

    We too have a similar obsession in pak and i can't understand it either. Although in our defense, i can say that maybe it is because we have a significant percentage of people that are fair. But again that doesn't make sense at all. I don't wanna blame the **** for all of this. **** isnt telling us right now to ridicule our own countrymen on basis of color. There has to be some psychological reason behind this rationale of ours
    I have mentioned this in my post above.

    Dark Skin = untouchable/Dalit/Tribal..... etc who do menial jobs which no one else will do.
    Light Skin = Upper Caste/Aryan Blood etc. Higher pedigree.

    Nobody wants to be associated with people who do manual scavenging in our society.

    This is clearly shown in movies too. Below are pictures show how color bias exists in our society. Even a common man wants to see light skinned females on the screen over women who look like their own. Movies only show what people want to see.

    Regular Tamil women
    Name:  tw.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  81.3 KB

    Tamil Film actress


    Its not just restricted to Female leads in the movies.

    Tamil Superstar Vijay without makeup.


    With make up.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    2,446
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Well this is a bit of an awkward argument if you look at it.

    He isn't exactly saying something along the lines of 'That IS my skin tone and I am proud of it." This is what he should have said because it is the truth. However he seems to be making an excuse and basically saying that having a dark skin tone is just a sacrifice he is willing to pay for his goals.

    ...

    Thoughts guys @JaDed @SandyB @Sachin136 @Napa @ProActive and others
    Quote Originally Posted by TQ89 View Post
    Ok now i wanna share a question about this. Would love an indian poster to answer this.

    As an expatriate living in saudi, i interacted with indians a lot even since my teenage days. Had a lot of indian friends, for a while studied in igsce curriculum School which had complete indian faculty as well as management. Mostyly the wxpats that are in middel east belong from south india (mainly andhra pradesh, tamil & kerala guys). There are indians from karnatak and other cities like lucknow, mumbai as well but they are in the minority here. Hyderabadis are everywhere here. There is a joke here that when you lift the cup of tea which you are sipping, you will find a hyderabadi underneath it.

    ...

    We too have a similar obsession in pak and i can't understand it either. Although in our defense, i can say that maybe it is because we have a significant percentage of people that are fair. But again that doesn't make sense at all. I don't wanna blame the **** for all of this. **** isnt telling us right now to ridicule our own countrymen on basis of color. There has to be some psychological reason behind this rationale of ours
    Growing up in India I was of course well aware of the subcontinental bias for fair skin and at least subconsciously was part of it. I assume it has a lot to do with history, with the upper class/caste generally being fairer on an average. Also, there are the stories of the fairer Aryans conquerors conquering the darker Dravidians.

    I can't say I cared about my skin color, I didn't avoid being out in the sun and my face has always been two shades darker than my relatively light skinned chest.

    As I grew older, I realized that there was a poor or no relation between skin tone and accomplishment. What I really care about is what a person has accomplished. Some of the most accomplished Indians like Indra Nooyi (CEO Pepsi), Chandrashekar (super-Nobel Physics), Nadella (Microsoft CEO) etc. are quite dark skinned.

    I would say the two most successful male actors Bacchan and SRK are rather dark, but actresses usually are lighter with some exceptions.

    My advice to Mukund would be to concentrate on performing better. In this world there are always some idiots who have no better use for their time than to prove to the world they are idiots by name-calling. Best to ignore them and have a good life instead.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    955
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indians are weird, they make Gayle look like a demi God and hate their own on the basis of caste and skin colour. Many cannot stand the sight of someone like Dhoni who's lower cast and dark skinned, while cricketers like tendulkar and Kohli are of a more elite and accepted group!

  13. #13
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    4,556
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
    Indians are weird, they make Gayle look like a demi God and hate their own on the basis of caste and skin colour. Many cannot stand the sight of someone like Dhoni who's lower cast and dark skinned, while cricketers like tendulkar and Kohli are of a more elite and accepted group!
    Dhoni is not low caste. He is a Rajput and high caste.

  14. #14
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    16,901
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What's wrong with him? There are so many trolls on the net ,needs to have thicker skin if he wants to survive international cricket.

    Almost seems like he is getting publicity.

    @Slog he is not owning up and that is an issue in my part of the world,very defensive and disappointing.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    478
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post

    This is one of the reasons why families want a fair skinned bride for their son. They want light skinned babies. This mindset is something that is hard to change. Bollywood does a wonderful job of promoting this culture.
    So what do the brides prefer? Dark Grooms and Dark babies?

  16. #16
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    21,274
    Mentioned
    1013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
    Indians are weird, they make Gayle look like a demi God and hate their own on the basis of caste and skin colour. Many cannot stand the sight of someone like Dhoni who's lower cast and dark skinned, while cricketers like tendulkar and Kohli are of a more elite and accepted group!
    Its better if you learn about things before you make comments.Dhoni is upper caste.

    Lol at people cant stand Dhonim

  17. #17
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    21,274
    Mentioned
    1013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Skin colour is a personal choice.You can like anyone.

  18. #18
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    4,556
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
    So what do the brides prefer? Dark Grooms and Dark babies?
    Most don't have a choice. They will nod their head to anyone their parents choose.

    In urban areas, women do have choice. They marry whoever they prefer irrespective of Color or sometimes caste.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    478
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    Most don't have a choice. They will nod their head to anyone their parents choose.

    In urban areas, women do have choice. They marry whoever they prefer irrespective of Color or sometimes caste.
    So what qualities are parents looking for? Does it not include a Fair Skinned Groom ?

    How many Men seeking Beautiful Fair Skinned wife even get one?

  20. #20
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    4,556
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
    So what qualities are parents looking for? Does it not include a Fair Skinned Groom ?

    How many Men seeking Beautiful Fair Skinned wife even get one?
    Its been a decade since I got married. I can tell you what the situation was 10 years ago.

    Brides parents will be happy if the groom is fair. If he is not, then no big deal. What matters to them is how rich or how much the groom is earning. Whether the groom owns a flat, car, does the groom have any unmarried sisters or studying brothers... All of them carry points.

    Brides - Looks matter
    Grooms -Money and Status matters.

    Many men who seek beautiful fair wife will be disappointed. They end up marrying someone who is a lot less than what they initially started for. I have seen some wait for many years to find their ideal bride. Some give up and some never find one.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    154
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Indians should stop being racist, there is noting wrong with dark/black skin when at least over 80% of the population come under it. No wonder there is such a demand for a fair bride. What matters is working hard on developing key skills and building a good career then everyone will come running at you. Earn their respect not force it! Try to change what you can not what you can't!!

  22. #22
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    1,585
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Well this is a bit of an awkward argument if you look at it.

    He isn't exactly saying something along the lines of 'That IS my skin tone and I am proud of it." This is what he should have said because it is the truth. However he seems to be making an excuse and basically saying that having a dark skin tone is just a sacrifice he is willing to pay for his goals.

    Consider this



    This makes it sound as if he had a choice in choosing his skin tone. As if he means 'I could have been fairer and more beautiful but I sacrificed it for playing a sport I love.' This is wrong way to go. Besides tanned does not mean a dark skin tone.

    To add to this he follows up with:



    Again. The line of thinking seems to be:
    "Look I am dark skinned because I am from Chennai where it is so hot and because I spend so many hours in the sun."

    He is not owing the dark skin tone. Besides this is insane logic to say that his location is reason for dark skin.

    It would have been much better for Mukund if he had just simply said - "I am proud of my skin tone and I dont care what anyone has to say."

    Here it appears that his line of thinking is similar to what his trolls thoughts are. And that he is simply giving justification for his dark color rather than owning it and taking pride in it

    Thoughts guys @JaDed @SandyB @Sachin136 @Napa @ProActive and others
    THIS

    He's being so defenseive, he's pretending like being dark was a choice for him and not something he was born as.


    "Be the best version of yourself"

  23. #23
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Saudi Arabia
    Runs
    650
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    I have mentioned this in my post above.

    Dark Skin = untouchable/Dalit/Tribal..... etc who do menial jobs which no one else will do.
    Light Skin = Upper Caste/Aryan Blood etc. Higher pedigree.

    Nobody wants to be associated with people who do manual scavenging in our society.

    This is clearly shown in movies too. Below are pictures show how color bias exists in our society. Even a common man wants to see light skinned females on the screen over women who look like their own. Movies only show what people want to see.

    Regular Tamil women
    Name:  tw.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  81.3 KB

    Tamil Film actress


    Its not just restricted to Female leads in the movies.

    Tamil Superstar Vijay without makeup.


    With make up.
    Hahahaha the guys i play with give the same look as this male actor without makeup.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    3,591
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is right. You don't need to be white or fair to be beautiful. If they stopped selling so many skin whitening products perhaps Indian's would be more comfortable in their own skin.


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    20,178
    Mentioned
    1099 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    Its been a decade since I got married. I can tell you what the situation was 10 years ago.

    Brides parents will be happy if the groom is fair. If he is not, then no big deal. What matters to them is how rich or how much the groom is earning. Whether the groom owns a flat, car, does the groom have any unmarried sisters or studying brothers... All of them carry points.

    Brides - Looks matter
    Grooms -Money and Status matters.

    Many men who seek beautiful fair wife will be disappointed. They end up marrying someone who is a lot less than what they initially started for. I have seen some wait for many years to find their ideal bride. Some give up and some never find one.
    Do you think there still was this issue in subcontinent before British colonisation

  26. #26
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    22,329
    Mentioned
    4198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Ashwaria Rai was beautiful


    Ah, so this is what it feels like

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •