Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shadab Khan vs Mehedi Hasan

I am surprised this comparison hasn't happened yet.

Both are very young at 19 (at least officially for Shadab) and recent additions to their respective national teams.

Both are spinners who can bat a bit and are livewires on the field.

Mehedi made headlines in his debut Test series whereas Shadab has made an early mark in ODIs.

They are playing for the same team in the CPL where Shadab is currently keeping Mehedi out of the team.

Who is better? And who will have the more successful career?

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Both are very young at 19 (at least officially for Shadab)"

Can you elaborate on this point first? I am just curious?

Sir Mamoon:
    Is Yasir a very good spinner? No - Is Yasir good enough for overseas Tests? No

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dios View Post

Both are very young at 19 (at least officially for Shadab) and recent additions to their respective national teams.

Mehedi made headlines in his debut Test series whereas Shadab has made an early mark in ODIs.

They are playing for the same team in the CPL where Shadab is currently keeping Mehedi out of the team.

the answer to your question dios, lies within your question. read your second last statement again .....

sawaal ye ni k ap ko kyun nikaala, sawaal ye k ap aaye kaisay.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In limited overs I would say Shadab easily. Miraz probably a decent option in tests.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too early to say.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1049 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    You answer the question yourself

Tests is still up in the air I guess

#MPGA

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Mehedi Hasan has done more in Tests so far but I'd take Shadab in limited overs.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shadab

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People have not heard of Mehedi outside of Bangladesh

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly Shadab is 18 and Mehdi is 19.

In LOI Shadab is a dream player for every captain. Skillful bowler with good head on his shoulders, decent with the bat (Though he has a lot more batting talent than what he has shown), he is an ourstanding fielder as well.

While Mehdi is a very good prospect with bowling, batting as well as fielding but needs to be given confidence in LOIs.

Big advantage to Shadab is that he has a lot more variations and has already played the final of a World Event and was part of the winning team as after certain stage confidence is what makes the difference.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you need bowlers to receive a phainty like the one Shadab got from Pandya for you to remember them?
    Bro atleast Shadab played in the team regularly and played in the finals as well and played a good part on the victory. He is only 18 and got Yuvi and Jhadav, yes got hit for a few blows but he is a leg spinner, he is young and he and the team didnt know mych abt Pandya's zone at that time.

Best of Shadab is still to come.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of a Mehdi Hasan unless you are talking about the writer/journalist. After reading the OP, I assume that he is another overrated Bengali who will crash and burn like Mustafizur

Aanay do!

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's this innocuous spinner. Nothing compared to shadab who already has won a trophy 💎

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    833 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Shadab would be better if used properly. Leg spinners are attacking option and under a good captain , can be a lethal weapon in shorter formats.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't know the other guy but Shadab is doing great from his debut in PSL 2 to the CPL with wonderful start to international cricket also
    Last edited by hadi123; 11th August 2017 at 10:36.

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    McCullam is a fantastic judge of talent many young Kiwis were picked and blossomed under him there is a reason he plays Shadab over the bangali guy.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A lot of folks downplaying the ability of young Miraz. He took 19 wickets in his first two tests, man of the tournament of U-19 world cup and he is just 19.

He will become a better player over the years don't worry.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mehedi had good success against England and was decent after that.

Both Shadab and Mehedi have not played enough to form an opinion.

Future will be between Rashid Khan vs Shadab Khan vs Mehedi vs Kuldeep

All young and promising.

I consider Rashid Khan as the best of the lot from what I have seen in IPL.
    Last edited by troodon; 11th August 2017 at 13:40.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post

All young and promising.

Thank you for a balanced, unbiased response.

Yes Rashid is clearly the best young spinner in the world right now - far ahead of both Shadab and Mehedi as far as just bowling is concerned.

What makes Shadab and Mehedi a good comparison is that both are bowling all-rounders and they could both be playing the same role a Ravindra Jadeja plays for India at the moment, for their respective teams provided they keep improving.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes Rashid is clearly the best young spinner in the world right now - far ahead of both Shadab and Mehedi as far as just bowling is concerned.

What makes Shadab and Mehedi a good comparison is that both are bowling all-rounders and they could both be playing the same role a Ravindra Jadeja plays for India at the moment, for their respective teams provided they keep improving.
    Also both are excellent fielders. They really are very similar to one another.

Mehedi has good leadership skills and led Bangladesh to the semis of the U19 world cup. Not sure if Shadab has any leadership experience.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For Bangladesh's sake, Mehedi should bat better than Jaddu. Jadeja sucks most of the times with the bat. He rarely scores these days.

I consider Ashwin a better bat in tests than Jaddu. I have seen Mehedi bat and he is a solid batsman. Can expect 30-40 runs from him.

Rashid Khan can also bat. We have not seen his ability due to him playing mostly T20 Cricket where he hardly has time or gets a chance to play.

If Mehedi improves like Ashwin or Jaddu, Bangla can stay dominant at home and improve on their rankings.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    SMCHS, Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    599 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Who's the other guy ??

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1031 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Interestingly, there is one more such thread is going on between Rashid Khan & Shadab Khan, where I don't see such ignorance of identity crisis for a player that won the Man of The Series in same tournament Shadab played. Irony is that some of those were really upset when this kid Miraj took 12 wickets to beat Poms in a Test match, on his 2nd Test.

May be PakPassion is getting imbalanced share of trolls than cricket enthusiasts by day. Few trolls are fine for a comic relief, but too many spoils the fun.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1031 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post

All young and promising.

Leg spinners are always more exciting than finger spinners and effective as well, if they can master the control - in that regard Miraj is behind the other 3. But, he has excellent control, probably has the best or definitely 2nd best batting technique/capability among 4 and he has a fantastic cricket head on shoulders, leading teams from U16 level. Unless, he is spoiled by T20s (which invariably force finger spinners to dart rather than building on loop & flight), he should play for 2 decades and he'll lead Bangladesh for long, long years.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Interestingly, there is one more such thread is going on between Rashid Khan & Shadab Khan, where I don't see such ignorance of identity crisis for a player that won the Man of The Series in same tournament Shadab played. Irony is that some of those were really upset when this kid Miraj took 12 wickets to beat Poms in a Test match, on his 2nd Test.

May be PakPassion is getting imbalanced share of trolls than cricket enthusiasts by day. Few trolls are fine for a comic relief, but too many spoils the fun.
    A lot of fans here know Miraz pretty well but are intentionally ignorant.

But who needs approval of armchair experts who could only dream of accomplishing what Miraz has done at the age of 19.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1031 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    A lot of fans here know Miraz pretty well but are intentionally ignorant.

But who needs approval of armchair experts who could only dream of accomplishing what Miraz has done at the age of 19.
    I hardly matters, but I do take the fun. Don't have time or taste, otherwise could have pasted some of the "touchy" posts from that Dhaka Test. Problem of trolling in modern age is that there is a trace behind .......

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Miraz is a talent. But so far he has had success versus a team who is weak when facing spin and in some favourable conditions for spin bowling. Whilst Shadab has performed on the big stage in an icc tournament and also shown glimpses of talent with bat and in the field.

I am certainly more excited and believe in the potential of a leg break bowler who has a googly and also can turn the ball into and away from batsmen.

Miraz is a good talent but just because some posters don't rate him due to his early start it doesn't mean there trolls. MMHS and Executioner seem to get offended if certain posters don't rate Bangladesh players .

I'll take Shadab over Miraz.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Miraz is a talent. But so far he has had success versus a team who is weak when facing spin and in some favourable conditions for spin bowling. Whilst Shadab has performed on the big stage in an icc tournament and also shown glimpses of talent with bat and in the field.

I am certainly more excited and believe in the potential of a leg break bowler who has a googly and also can turn the ball into and away from batsmen.

Miraz is a good talent but just because some posters don't rate him due to his early start it doesn't mean there trolls. MMHS and Executioner seem to get offended if certain posters don't rate Bangladesh players .

I don't mind if someone says that miraz isn't better than Shadab. However it's completely ridiculous to say "never heard of him" when they very well know who he is.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't mind if someone says that miraz isn't better than Shadab. However it's completely ridiculous to say "never heard of him" when they very well know who he is.

Lol it's clearly a troll post

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1031 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

I myself rate Shadab higher simply because he is a Leggi and he can bat.

Shadab didn't set the ICC tournament on fire to be honest & beyond WI hacks his records are not so impressive. I understand, PSL and T20 are the epitome of PAK cricket, but still his Test debut was a disaster against WI, which any given day is far, far worse spin players compared to the English team Miraj debuted. No matter what's the wicket is offering, it takes lots of credit for someone to take 19 wickets in 2 Test against Poms - make it on debut & at 19, you should get excited.

So far he has 35 wickets in 7 Test at 31 and a batting average close to 18, despite horrible start with bat and he has played 7 Tests so far - 2 against Poms, 2 in NZ, 1 in India and 2 in SRL - if you think that these are weak spin playing teams, I can't argue; but it'll get a trolling level if you say that never heard of him, unless you live in a cave.
    Last edited by MMHS; 11th August 2017 at 20:53.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It boils my blood when someone compares A with B. A can't be B and B can't be A.
    A has his own talent, hunger to learn, work ethic, support staff, surroundings, e.t.c. (every little thing matters in his attitude).
    While B has his own talent and above mentioned things.
    A and B will also get to their highs and lows at some point of their careers.
    In these kind of comparisons, everyone will be biased towards their own players (if you are comparing them so early in their careers). And when this biased response from supporters of player A come forward, the supporters of player B get offended. So there is no point in these type of comparisons. Let them flourish first in the international cricket. The comparison should only be done at the end of players A and B careers if there is any need of that.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    1128km from Taj Mahal, 0km from Love
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mehedi is an off spinner and clearly looks over 23 years so the comparison is invalid in terms of both bowling type and age group.

In merit vs potential, potential usually causes the greatest heartbreak

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    1128km from Taj Mahal, 0km from Love
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both are very young at 19 (at least officially for Shadab)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsee View Post
    Can you elaborate on this point first? I am just curious?
    I think what he means to say is that out of the two, only Shadab's age is official, and frankly I can't disagree with him. Mehedi looks well over 20, probably 23+.

In merit vs potential, potential usually causes the greatest heartbreak

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rashid will not become best of lot because he always plays series against minnows, while pakistan will be playing against NZ, AUs and southafrica more regularly.

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Dhaka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sshakir411 View Post
    People have not heard of Mehedi outside of Bangladesh
    That's your personal problem,not other cricket fans.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Dhaka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shahab looks better but time will say...it's too early...let them play 5 years or 30 test or 70 ODI at least to judge.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asfandyar View Post
    I think what he means to say is that out of the two, only Shadab's age is official, and frankly I can't disagree with him. Mehedi looks well over 20, probably 23+.
    I think he was trying to say the opposite- ie that Shadab is only "officially" 18 whilst Hasan is a "genuine" 19 year old.

If that is what he meant he is obviously wrong- Hasan looks well older than his stated age whereas Shadab still looks like a teenager.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mak36 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by asfandyar View Post

I think he was trying to say the opposite- ie that Shadab is only "officially" 18 whilst Hasan is a "genuine" 19 year old.

If that is what he meant he is obviously wrong- Hasan looks well older than his stated age whereas Shadab still looks like a teenager.

Exactly, a fact that is highlighted by his (OP's) ability to post multiple comments including this gem (which probably got deleted) "Maybe you need bowlers to receive a phainty like the one Shadab got from Pandya for you to remember them?"...yet he did not clarify his comment when I asked for an explanation very early in the thread!

He meant to demean Shadab by posting a sarcastic (trollish) comment and yet most BD fans (including him) are crying about some other fans who said they have not heard of Mehedi (he is a relatively unknown except for his exploits in a few matches in BD only). It is not as if he has been lighting up the world stages with performances outside BD or has he?

Sir Mamoon:
    Is Yasir a very good spinner? No - Is Yasir good enough for overseas Tests? No

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I myself rate Shadab higher simply because he is a Leggi and he can bat.

Shadab didn't set the ICC tournament on fire to be honest & beyond WI hacks his records are not so impressive. I understand, PSL and T20 are the epitome of PAK cricket, but still his Test debut was a disaster against WI, which any given day is far, far worse spin players compared to the English team Miraj debuted. No matter what's the wicket is offering, it takes lots of credit for someone to take 19 wickets in 2 Test against Poms - make it on debut & at 19, you should get excited.

So far he has 35 wickets in 7 Test at 31 and a batting average close to 18, despite horrible start with bat and he has played 7 Tests so far - 2 against Poms, 2 in NZ, 1 in India and 2 in SRL - if you think that these are weak spin playing teams, I can't argue; but it'll get a trolling level if you say that never heard of him, unless you live in a cave.

Lol never said he set the tournament on fire but he showed enough that he has the potential and ability to be a superstar. In bowling and fielding.

It was his 1st test so you can't judge him on that and who said PSL is epitome of Pakistan cricket?

He bowled well but ultimately no one will care about a meaningless bilateral test series whilst the champions trophy will be remembered for a while.

Its clearly trolling when posters are saying they haven't heard of him. The fact tour getting offended will only encourage posters to post such things.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1031 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Lol never said he set the tournament on fire but he showed enough that he has the potential and ability to be a superstar. In bowling and fielding.

It was his 1st test so you can't judge him on that and who said PSL is epitome of Pakistan cricket?

He bowled well but ultimately no one will care about a meaningless bilateral test series whilst the champions trophy will be remembered for a while.

Its clearly trolling when posters are saying they haven't heard of him. The fact tour getting offended will only encourage posters to post such things.
    I do judge him on potential, not from one Test only - if you have forgotten already, can check his individual thread, I have enough posts there. I do think PAK cricket has many more things than PSL & T20 - just got a bit confused to get brainwashed from every stakeholders that PSL was the mother of CT success.....

In history of BD cricket, in 17 years and 100 Tests, apart from ZIM & depleted WI, we have won 2 Tests - where this kid has taken 18 wickets at 15, in his first 7 Tests, before that he won the MoS of U19 WC mainly as a batsman - so, I know where he'll be remembered in cricket history. Regarding meaningless bilaterals & CT, I hope you are not telling that people'll remember Munaf Patel more than Dennis Lille or Richard Hadlee ........ or Waquar Younis, you know.

Rest part of your post I agree - I didn't post here to start with, but I did want few to come back here after my post for sure.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do judge him on potential, not from one Test only - if you have forgotten already, can check his individual thread, I have enough posts there. I do think PAK cricket has many more things than PSL & T20 - just got a bit confused to get brainwashed from every stakeholders that PSL was the mother of CT success.....

In history of BD cricket, in 17 years and 100 Tests, apart from ZIM & depleted WI, we have won 2 Tests - where this kid has taken 18 wickets at 15, in his first 7 Tests, before that he won the MoS of U19 WC mainly as a batsman - so, I know where he'll be remembered in cricket history. Regarding meaningless bilaterals & CT, I hope you are not telling that people'll remember Munaf Patel more than Dennis Lille or Richard Hadlee ........ or Waquar Younis, you know.

Rest part of your post I agree - I didn't post here to start with, but I did want few to come back here after my post for sure.
    Good to know the CT was a major tournament when India won it 2013, but as soon as Pakistan wins it it becomes meaningless.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1031 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    Good to know the CT was a major tournament when India won it 2013, but as soon as Pakistan wins it it becomes meaningless.
    No, CT was a major tournament in 2013, it is in 2017 & it'll be in 2021 as well. But, Test cricket has it's own status - though, it might not be same appealing to everyone. For us, that Test against Poms or in SRL wasn't a random occasion - in 1952, Pandit Nehru stopped a cabinet meeting to reach Firoz Shah Kotla, to watch India's first Test winning moment.

By the way, you need to know a little bit more as well - before that 2013 CT win, Munaf Patel won another thing as well couple of years back - which those 3 gentleman I mentioned didn't, still people will remember them for such random bilateral series more than Munaf Patel - what do you think?

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    chorley
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like shadab has added variety to his bowling apart from leggie and googly. Anyone seen him bowl top spinner and flipper (the one warne bowls by clicking middle finger and thumb)??? Mushy has made a video on this flipper and developed it in his final years.

https://youtu.be/wcKt8mKtt5s

@MMHS

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1031 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ataullah View Post
    It looks like shadab has added variety to his bowling apart from leggie and googly. Anyone seen him bowl top spinner and flipper (the one warne bowls by clicking middle finger and thumb)??? Mushy has made a video on this flipper and developed it in his final years.

https://youtu.be/wcKt8mKtt5s

@MMHS
    I think, he got his 2nd or 3rd wicket with a flipper against WI in 1st T20. Variation & potential is always there and Leggis tend to mature with years, therefore his ceiling is much higher. But, still it's in T20s - it's the batsmen who are forced to go after, therefore you can buy wicket, which probably isn't what premium spinners are expected to do. In that regard, he has to improve his control BIG time, so that batsmen are choked to submission and go for wrong shots. Shane was a master of choking batsmen by blocking their scoring areas, until they go for the shot he wants them to play.

Shadab, tends to give "gift balls" in between - with that, he'll take wickets in LO, in Test as well, but won't be feared by better batting units. Variation makes Leggis exciting wicket takers, control makes them feared match winners Hirwani & Shiva had bigger turns & variations, but they had economy over 3, even in 80s - didn't last longer than 2/3 years. Already, Shadab is playing too many T20s, which was the start of Afridi's down fall, otherwise Lala was skilled enough for 7K+ Test runs and 450+ wickets, which would have made him an ATG. Finger spinners job is different - he can bowl tight from one end & wait for the foot marks to open up - I don't think anyone'll pick a loose cannon leggi over a tight offie, if both has similar batting potentials.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The test will be remembered by Bangladesh fans and hardcore cricket fans. The casual cricket watchers won't remember the game.

Nice try with the Munaf Patel thing, the difference is we know Waqar,Dennis, and Hadlee are significantly better. I only use ICC tournament performances when comparing players who are evenly matched. Nice try though .

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1031 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    The test will be remembered by Bangladesh fans and hardcore cricket fans. The casual cricket watchers won't remember the game.

Nice try with the Munaf Patel thing, the difference is we know Waqar,Dennis, and Hadlee are significantly better. I only use ICC tournament performances when comparing players who are evenly matched. Nice try though .
    So, now I'll take Brett Lee to be remembered more than Shoaib, because he won ICC event?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So, now I'll take Brett Lee to be remembered more than Shoaib, because he won ICC event?

Lol I think Brett is better than Shoaib Akhtar. I don't need icc tournament performances to form that opnion.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Brett Lee definitely better than Akhtar in LOI but in tests Akhtar was more lethal

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1031 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Lol I think Brett is better than Shoaib Akhtar. I don't need icc tournament performances to form that opnion.
    You know me very well - I don't argue for the sake of it. But, you can't bring team's results/achievements in a major tournament, when you are discussing/comparing individuals, representing different teams, unless one of them is instrumental in that team success. It's like comparing Carrick with Gerard and start with the former's 5 EPL title for ManU.

Personally, I rate Akhtar higher, definitely in ODI because he could bat, but that's separate discussion.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @MMHS

I don't really post on here just a lurker, but this thread really bugged me lol. You are one of the best if not the best and most unbiased posters here. Your cricketing knowledge is ATG compared to these trolls. I'm a hardcore pakistan fan and been following cricket 20 years now nowhere near as much as you no doubt but a lot more then some on here. Ignore the trolls I totally agree with you whole heartedly and you make a lot of sense . You are just feeding these trolls all they want is a reaction. Your case on mehdi is bang on point regarding tests what he has acheived. Some of the fans here especially pak,Bangla,India fans are extremely biased on there own players is unbeleivable how some can be so ignorant. Keep up the good work. Ignore the troll comments only reply to The sensible arguements, your insight is always gold dust.
    Last edited by Kashmirilion; 14th August 2017 at 18:32. Reason: Mistake

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've seen,Mehedi was brilliant in his first couple of tests.Shadab is a great talent,better in LO's and a better batsman.

We'll see who has a better career in the long run.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You know me very well - I don't argue for the sake of it. But, you can't bring team's results/achievements in a major tournament, when you are discussing/comparing individuals, representing different teams, unless one of them is instrumental in that team success. It's like comparing Carrick with Gerard and start with the former's 5 EPL title for ManU.

Personally, I rate Akhtar higher, definitely in ODI because he could bat, but that's separate discussion.
    But Shadab and Mehdi are both spinners who can bat so a comparison between them is fair enough. At the end of the day the point I'm trying to make is I see more potential in Shadab then in Mehdi. Mehdi will be a good cricketer for Bangldesh though.

I was just using the CT as example that Shadab showed potential in that tournament in high pressure situations.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But Shadab and Mehdi are both spinners who can bat so a comparison between them is fair enough. At the end of the day the point I'm trying to make is I see more potential in Shadab then in Mehdi. Mehdi will be a good cricketer for Bangldesh though.

I was just using the CT as example that Shadab showed potential in that tournament in high pressure situations.
    You are correct to say Shadab contributed to the success of the CT- he added variety and depth to the team and bowled pretty well throughout the tournament. His fielding was another big factor- he saved runs and took important catches. Plus, Shadab getting Root out was a huge moment in the semi-final.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1031 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

You see, we are back to top - he didn't set the CT on fire, and won't like to remember the final much; but I do take your point, so fair enough. Indeed both has great potential, though at this stage of career, the leggi must have higher ceiling. Both has best part of 20 years career left, therefore this comparison isn't unfair, neither it'll end here. Mehedi'll lead BD for many, many years hopefully and he has a fantastic cricket brain, already leading his Club teams from 18 years of age.

Also, you see the irony - I put a line here that T20 & PSL is the epitome of PAK cricket, without trying to hurt anyone - less than 24 hours, PCB has called back it's most priced 2 assets from County, when one was destined to win the Div 1 title, while the other had a great chance for full season contract in 2018, if he could help Somerset avoiding relegation, for a meaning less T20 cup, which only can hamper their progress and can risk injury, just before start of a busy season - that's my experience of many, many years Shadab's biggest enemy is PCB, hope he keeps himself safe & sound - great potential is indeed there.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1031 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashmirilion View Post
    @MMHS

I don't really post on here just a lurker, but this thread really bugged me lol. You are one of the best if not the best and most unbiased posters here. Your cricketing knowledge is ATG compared to these trolls. I'm a hardcore pakistan fan and been following cricket 20 years now nowhere near as much as you no doubt but a lot more then some on here. Ignore the trolls I totally agree with you whole heartedly and you make a lot of sense . You are just feeding these trolls all they want is a reaction. Your case on mehdi is bang on point regarding tests what he has acheived. Some of the fans here especially pak,Bangla,India fans are extremely biased on there own players is unbeleivable how some can be so ignorant. Keep up the good work. Ignore the troll comments only reply to The sensible arguements, your insight is always gold dust.
    Thanks for the kind words. I am mature enough to differentiate between banter and trolling I don't hide from any argument, hence it keeps me honest; don't argue anything that I can't back.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since alot of people here are discussing about their age, I never understood the concept of hiding a players REAL age. What benefit does it bring to the individual player by lowering it? The two being discussed here looks very young (not sure if the age has been altered for either of them). Both looks like young kids. Compare them with Rashid Khan, this lad looks like 25+. It is really hard for me to believe that he is 18 years of age.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You see, we are back to top - he didn't set the CT on fire, and won't like to remember the final much; but I do take your point, so fair enough. Indeed both has great potential, though at this stage of career, the leggi must have higher ceiling. Both has best part of 20 years career left, therefore this comparison isn't unfair, neither it'll end here. Mehedi'll lead BD for many, many years hopefully and he has a fantastic cricket brain, already leading his Club teams from 18 years of age.

Also, you see the irony - I put a line here that T20 & PSL is the epitome of PAK cricket, without trying to hurt anyone - less than 24 hours, PCB has called back it's most priced 2 assets from County, when one was destined to win the Div 1 title, while the other had a great chance for full season contract in 2018, if he could help Somerset avoiding relegation, for a meaning less T20 cup, which only can hamper their progress and can risk injury, just before start of a busy season - that's my experience of many, many years Shadab's biggest enemy is PCB, hope he keeps himself safe & sound - great potential is indeed there.

PCB have made a mistake in recalling these players back for the T20 tournament. Don't understand there thinking behind it. There are talanted players who won't get a game anyway, now with all these international regulars coming back they have 0 chance.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't compare offies with leggies ... different bread different mode of attack ... as for mehdi ... he did well in friendly conditions and shadab didn't set the world alight on flat decks ... let's just let them play and see how they progress both have potential how they utilize it from here on would make a difference ... can mehdi replicate saqib ? can shadab do what mushy did ... ? lets wait and see

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both can not be compared to each other.One is an all-rounder while other is a specialist bowler.Yes Mehdi can bat a bit but he is not an all-rounder.
    Mehdi can be that spinner which Bangladesh are looking for.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    SMCHS, Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    599 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    At that point we should be able to see why this comparison was a moot one. Anyways I don't necessarily want to rain in on the parade of 'experts and informed' fans of the game but the next 12 months would surely be interesting.

One plays for a champion team that has a cabinet full of international trophies while the other is half decent in an actual minnow nation and just like the 'cutter master' who was the earlier sensation, this lad too will most probably fade away into wilderness never to be addressed in the same breath as other decent cricketers.

As jingoistic as this may sound, this is the hard truth and the sooner they accept it the better it is for them. You have to be grossly unlucky to even have the genetics part not going for yourselves and this is the same reason why I see Ireland and even Afghanistan to overtake that 'cricket mad country'

/Rant Over

P.S.
    Last edited by UN talkz; 15th August 2017 at 14:04.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1049 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

which tournament is this?

#MPGA

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nil Dhumrojal View Post
    Shahab looks better but time will say...it's too early...let them play 5 years or 30 test or 70 ODI at least to judge.
    I think both shadab and Mehdi have a bright future ahead. Mehdi has performed against some of the best team but BCB is not giving him exposure. Why did he only bowl one over in CT? Unless BCB backs its youngsters they will get discouraged and Bangla will lose the talent. Look at how PCB backed its young guns including shadab!

Shadab is getting better with every match. I've been watching him in CPL and he has been phenonimal!! One of the best prospects we have on our hands. And way better than Rashid khan I might add. Waaaaayyyyy better.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaqas92 View Post

At that point we should be able to see why this comparison was a moot one. Anyways I don't necessarily want to rain in on the parade of 'experts and informed' fans of the game but the next 12 months would surely be interesting.

One plays for a champion team that has a cabinet full of international trophies while the other is half decent in an actual minnow nation and just like the 'cutter master' who was the earlier sensation, this lad too will most probably fade away into wilderness never to be addressed in the same breath as other decent cricketers.

As jingoistic as this may sound, this is the hard truth and the sooner they accept it the better it is for them. You have to be grossly unlucky to even have the genetics part not going for yourselves and this is the same reason why I see Ireland and even Afghanistan to overtake that 'cricket mad country'

/Rant Over

P.S.

That's is especially highlighted by your last comment. About Ireland and Afghanistan overtaking us. Afghanistan may or may not who knows.

But Ireland has had zero progress in the last 6 years or so. They beat us in ICC events in 07 and 09. Nearly beat us in 2011 WC. But since then they have gone down. Even lost to Afghanistan at home. They looked hapless when we toured them recently.

And the way you dismiss Mehedi Hasan is ridiculous. Was the man of the tournament in the previous U-19 WC. Helped Bangladesh win a test match against strong English side. The guy is matured hard working. And he is only 19 years old and will only get better.
    Last edited by UN talkz; 15th August 2017 at 14:01.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    I think both shadab and Mehdi have a bright future ahead. Mehdi has performed against some of the best team but BCB is not giving him exposure. Why did he only bowl one over in CT? Unless BCB backs its youngsters they will get discouraged and Bangla will lose the talent. Look at how PCB backed its young guns including shadab!

Shadab is getting better with every match. I've been watching him in CPL and he has been phenonimal!! One of the best prospects we have on our hands. And way better than Rashid khan I might add. Waaaaayyyyy better.
    That match was rained off. And he wasn't selected in the other matches.

I think he is still raw do not perfect for English conditions. Ashwin, Shakib and Jadeja struggled.

Miraz will get better as a batsman and a bowler. He is a very matured batsman but just didn't find his feet in international cricket just yet. But he has what it takes to make it big.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    375 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by syed abbas View Post
    Both can not be compared to each other.One is an all-rounder while other is a specialist bowler.Yes Mehdi can bat a bit but he is not an all-rounder.
    Mehdi can be that spinner which Bangladesh are looking for.
    Mehedi is a batter batsmen than Shadab lol.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2016 U19 World Cup:

Batting
    Mehedi: 242 runs @ 60.5
    Shadab: 26 runs @ 6.5

Bowling
    Mehedi: 12 wickets @ 17.66 (econ: 3.75)
    Shadab: 11 wickets @ 19 (econ: 4.38)

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now, Mehedi is the better player bar none. But Shadab seems a better prospect. Why? He's better at fielding, is younger and already has experience winning an ICC tournament. I know a lot of people say Shadab lacks control but that is because he is a leggie as opposed to Mehedi who is an off-spinner. Leg-spinners get better with age while off-spinners are the exact opposite unless you are a freak like Murali. Only time will tell
    Last edited by hadi123; 16th August 2017 at 09:19.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2016 U19 World Cup:

Batting
    Mehedi: 242 runs @ 60.5
    Shadab: 26 runs @ 6.5

Bowling
    Mehedi: 12 wickets @ 17.66 (econ: 3.75)
    Shadab: 11 wickets @ 19 (econ: 4.38)
    Thanks for these stats. Can you get me the stats for Mehedi vs Shadab in CPL as well please?

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    Right now, Mehedi is the better player bar none. But Shadab seems a better prospect. Why? He's better at fielding, is younger and already has experience winning an ICC tournament. I know a lot of people say Shadab lacks control but that is because he is a leggie as opposed to Mehedi who is an off-spinner. Leg-spinners get better with age while off-spinners are the exact opposite unless you are a freak like Murali. Only time will time.
    Let's be honest both are different players.

Miraz is potentially a genuine allrounder. He has the skills and maturity to bat in the top order and as for being a spinner he isn't going to be a true frontline bowler. A bit like Hafeez only with more turn.

So bowling wise Shadab is more potent add to that he is a leggie who are invaluable.

As a batsman Shadab is a useful batsman in the lower order. Miraz tho is a capable batsman. Scored a lot of runs in age group cricket. Potentially a decent batsman in the top order, but not a good hitter down the order. In tests it doesn't matter though.

As a fielder both are really good. You need to watch miraz field. He is really agile. Both are excellent fielders it would be injustice to put one above the other.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in loi shadab is ahead in tests mehdi.over all its shadab....probem solved..

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's be honest both are different players.

Miraz is potentially a genuine allrounder. He has the skills and maturity to bat in the top order and as for being a spinner he isn't going to be a true frontline bowler. A bit like Hafeez only with more turn.

So bowling wise Shadab is more potent add to that he is a leggie who are invaluable.

As a batsman Shadab is a useful batsman in the lower order. Miraz tho is a capable batsman. Scored a lot of runs in age group cricket. Potentially a decent batsman in the top order, but not a good hitter down the order. In tests it doesn't matter though.

As a fielder both are really good. You need to watch miraz field. He is really agile. Both are excellent fielders it would be injustice to put one above the other.
    I agree with your post except that Shadab is a lower batsmen. He hamstring shown anything with the bat so far in the CPL but he did play an outstanding innings in the PSL. He wasn't hitting orthodox shot but playing sweeps and scoops for six. So he's not in the mould of say Afridi who can slog a few at the end before the tail but rather like Malik. He can be the glue of the middle and lower order and milk the spinners in the middle order. He's not orthodox enough to be in the top and not depleted skill wise to be in the lower order. Therefore, he would make a perfect middle order batsmen at #5.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    I agree with your post except that Shadab is a lower batsmen. He hamstring shown anything with the bat so far in the CPL but he did play an outstanding innings in the PSL. He wasn't hitting orthodox shot but playing sweeps and scoops for six. So he's not in the mould of say Afridi who can slog a few at the end before the tail but rather like Malik. He can be the glue of the middle and lower order and milk the spinners in the middle order. He's not orthodox enough to be in the top and not depleted skill wise to be in the lower order. Therefore, he would make a perfect middle order batsmen at #5.
    Assuming that 'hamstring' = 'has not' here.

He did play a good knock a few days ago where he top scored with 31* and kept his head in a small chase and helped TKR to a victory.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!