Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Now that Wayne Rooney has retired from international football - what is his overall legacy?

For me - he is one of the best footballers of our generation. I have been watching him ever since he moved to Man Utd (back in 2004).

Had the pace, strength, passing range, stamina and goal scoring ability that made him one of the most well-rounded forwards of our generation.

Had a great career IMO.

However, he is not an ATG, definitely not in the class of Ronaldo, Messi, Zlatan etc.
    He scored a lot of goals for England but was very poor in international tournaments. Did not have standout performances in big matches either i.e. 2008 CL final, 2009 CL final, 2011 CL final etc. The fact that he considerably declined during the last few years of his Man Utd career also goes against him as opposed to Zlatan who is still a great goal scorer.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great and possibly ATG by England standards but good player overall somewhat overrated.

Meri Barbaadiyan Durust Magar...
    Too Bata Kya Tujhe Sawaab Mila...

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rubbish player for England. 6 goals in 7 tournament sums him up.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another overrated England player who did zilch at the world level.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Has any England player made it BIG in the world of football or cricket or any other team sport?

They always seem pampered and overrated and end up as middling players at best while the rest of the world produces champion performers like Ponting, Kallis, Tendulkar or Lara.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Has any England player made it BIG in the world of football or cricket or any other team sport?

They always seem pampered and overrated and end up as middling players at best while the rest of the world produces champion performers like Ponting, Kallis, Tendulkar or Lara.
    Tendulkar was hardly a champion performer. He hardly delivered for the team at the highest competitions.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Flopped in major tournaments for Eng, like most. The only truly great player for Eng I can think of in the recent past is Alan Shearer.

Good player. That's all.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    For united he is definitely one of the greats we have had.. For England he underachieved but then again the whole England team has been the same for ages..

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King-Misbah View Post
    Tendulkar was hardly a champion performer. He hardly delivered for the team at the highest competitions.
    That can be another debate for another day, but fact remains that he was thirty times better than any England player across both formats, right through his career.

The reason I'm only bringing up cricketers is because I don't watch football, but I'm sure the parallels between England sportsmen exist.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by in_cutter View Post
    Flopped in major tournaments for Eng, like most. The only truly great player for Eng I can think of in the recent past is Alan Shearer.

Good player. That's all.
    Shearer did nothing in major tournaments too.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you mean in world tournmanents then Gary Linekar in recent decades. He won the golden boot in 86.

You can't compare footballers to cricketers, there is far more competition in football.

As for Rooney, his first touch was poor which meant he was easily contained in International level. A great England player as he's scored more than anyone else but not a great player.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Above average player.

Ex Shahid Afridi fan.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ATG - yes he underachieved for England but most great players have.

If you want to destroy a country, just create enmity between its people and their army - Salahuddin

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Wayne Rooney is set to come out of international retirement to make a farewell appearance for England against the United States later this month.

The 33-year-old - England's record goalscorer with 53 - has not played for the Three Lions since a 3-0 victory over Scotland in November 2016.

But Rooney, who plays for DC United, is expected to earn his 120th cap in the friendly at Wembley on 15 November.

The match will be called 'The Wayne Rooney Foundation international'.

The Wembley Arch will be lit up in the gold colours of Rooney's charity.

The Football Association said it was an opportunity to "honour" Rooney's "record-breaking international career".

Rooney said: "I am truly humbled and hugely excited to play for England at Wembley again. I would like to thank Gareth Southgate and the FA for inviting me back and helping to support my foundation in the process.

"Playing for England was the greatest honour of my career, so winning my 120th and final cap will be a particularly special moment for me. It's fitting that the match will be against the USA and I hope that both sets of fans enjoy the game."

After moving to the United States in July, Rooney scored 12 goals to guide DC United from the bottom of the Major League Soccer table into the play-offs.

But the former Manchester United and Everton forward missed a penalty in a shootout as his side were knocked out in the first round.

England manager Gareth Southgate said: "This tribute to Wayne is a unique opportunity that is befitting of our nation's record goalscorer.

"We are fortunate that circumstances have allowed us to formally acknowledge Wayne's immense contribution to England in front of the Wembley crowd and against apt opponents given the recent impact he has made in the US."

The full England squad for the United States match as well as the Nations League fixture against Croatia on 18 November will be announced on Thursday, November 8.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46089205

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over rated English player.

"Nations are born in the hearts of poets, they prosper and die in the hands of politicians."-Iqbal

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    2nd Room on the left
    Runs
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good for Utd upto 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Arsal_AK View Post
    If Hafeez can get two hundreds in a game anyone can.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Wayne Rooney said he was "embarrassed" towards the end of his time at Manchester United because of a lack of opportunities.

Rooney, the all-time leading goalscorer for both United and England, featured in 39 of the Red Devils' 64 matches in 2016-17 - his last season at the club.

"There are moments when you do doubt yourself," he told Sky Sports.

"I believe I was good enough to get back in the team, but I never really got that opportunity."

Rooney, who left United to rejoin Everton and then moved to MLS club DC United, was speaking before his farewell game for England against USA on Thursday.

The 33-year-old added: "I came on for one minute in the Europa League final. I was about to come on against Southampton in the League Cup final, and in those moments it was embarrassing.

"It was getting to a point where I was embarrassed. I thought 'I can't keep doing this', as hard as it was to leave United.

"In the Southampton game, [manager Jose] Mourinho came to me and said: 'I want you to lift the trophy.' I was like: 'Well, I didn't even play in the game.'

"He was persistent with it, and I literally lifted it and moved it on. What was I doing? I need to move on and go somewhere else."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46229101

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Wayne Rooney was arrested on public intoxication and swearing charges in the US before Christmas.

The former Manchester United player, who now plays for US team DC United, was charged on 16 December.

According to Virginia court records, Rooney was fined £25 and had to pay £91 costs.

In September 2017, the footballer was arrested by Cheshire police after being caught driving over the drink-drive limit.

He was been banned from driving for two years and ordered to perform 100 hours of unpaid work.

The former England captain says he may settle in the US if his family wants to

He was nearly three times over the limit when he was pulled over by police at 2.10am on 1 September, 2017.

After he was banned from driving in the UK, he tweeted an apology to his family and fans.

He said: "Following today's court hearing I want publicly to apologise for my unforgivable lack of judgement in driving while over the legal limit. It was completely wrong.

"I have already said sorry to my family, my manager and chairman and everyone at Everton FC. Now I want to apologise to all the fans and everyone else who has followed and supported me throughout my career.

"Of course I accept the sentence of the court and hope that I can make some amends through my community service."

The day before Rooney was arrested in America, the star tweeted a picture of himself in Saudi Arabia and wrote that he was having "an unbelievable day at Riyadh Formula E Saudi Arabia Grand".

Speaking to Sky News last August upon his arrival to the US, he said he was relieved not a recognisable face in America.

https://news.sky.com/story/wayne-roo...in-us-11600617
    Last edited by MenInG; 6th January 2019 at 23:26.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing more then average at best. Made by the media at a time when there was no other Englishman to boast about. Additionally securing a then high profile move to the British media's most darling club at the time made him even hotter news. Put a Watford or Southampton shirt on him and we'd not even notice if he was even playing.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will Kane overtake him as England's record goal scorer?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Derby County are keen to appoint Wayne Rooney as a player-coach.

The former England skipper still has over two seasons left on the contract he signed with Major League Soccer team DC United last summer.

However, Rams owner Mel Morris feels Rooney could provide the impetus required to get the club back into the Premier League.

Rooney has made no secret of his desire to go into coaching and Derby feel that could also be a factor.

It is not known how close talks are to reaching a successful conclusion but the fact they have taken place and Derby remain optimistic is viewed as a positive sign.

Derby appointed Rooney's former international team-mate Frank Lampard as their manager last season, although he has since moved on to Chelsea.

Speaking about his managerial aspirations at last week's MLS All-Stars match, Rooney said: "It's something which I want to stay involved in; [my coaching badges] are going well.

"I'm obviously still a player and I want to continue to play. When the time is right I can go into coaching or management."

Rooney is contracted to his American club until the end of the 2021 season and said: "You never know what comes up and I think by the end of the contract I will see how I feel physically and make the decision on whether I can carry on playing or whether I have to stop."

Asked about the Rooney rumours, current Derby boss Phillip Cocu told BBC Radio Derby: "I can't say anything about that - we're working hard to complete the team and we always try to find the best player in a certain position.

"In the world of football, we cannot speak before it is signed."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49243868

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Former England captain Wayne Rooney will join Championship club Derby County as a player-coach in January from MLS side DC United.

The 33-year-old forward, who is Manchester United and England's all-time record goalscorer, will join the Rams on an initial 18-month contract.

He signed for Washington-based DC from Everton in July 2018 and has scored 23 goals in 41 league games.

"I'm sure I can make a big contribution," said Rooney.

Rooney has agreed to join Derby despite having more than two seasons left on his deal with DC United.

"While the decision to move home was a tough one, family is everything to us and we make this change to be closer to the ones we love back in England," he added.

"I am very excited about the opportunity Derby County have provided me with. I am looking forward to joining [Derby manager] Phillip Cocu, his coaching staff and the first-team squad from the start of January.

"I am equally excited to begin my coaching career at Derby County, working with both the first team and academy."

Derby, who started their season with a 2-1 win at Huddersfield on Monday, are under the management of former Netherlands midfielder Cocu after Rooney's former England team-mate Frank Lampard left for Chelsea last month.

Cocu described Rooney's arrival as an "exciting prospect" and has "no doubt he will have a positive impact right across the club".

"The inspiration and motivation this can generate is massive for all of our players from the first team right through to the youngsters in the academy," said Cocu.

"To have a player with his leadership, skill, experience, character and work ethic will be huge for us."

As they announced the deal, Derby said Rooney would "continue to develop his coaching credentials in preparation for a potential managerial career".

However, Rams chairman Mel Morris insisted the England legend would "first and foremost" be joining the club as a player.

"To have Wayne Rooney as a player, and equally as an aspiring coach, is incredible and I can only imagine the buzz this will generate amongst our supporters," he said.

"This is clearly an exciting signing for us. On the back of Wayne joining, we have just been offered a record-breaking sponsorship deal with our principal shirt sponsor."

A stepping stone towards management?
    Rooney suggested recently he was thinking about moving into coaching.

Speaking about his managerial aspirations at last week's MLS All-Stars match, he said: "It's something I want to stay involved in; [my coaching badges] are going well.

"I'm obviously still a player and I want to continue to play. When the time is right I can go into coaching or management."

His move to Derby, albeit alongside continuing his playing career, means he is the sixth member of England's Euro 2004 squad to take their first steps in coaching or management in the past 15 months.

Steven Gerrard has made a good start as a manager with Rangers, while his former midfield partner Lampard took the Rams to the play-off final last season before taking over at Chelsea last month.

Sol Campbell saved Macclesfield Town from relegation to the National League but Paul Scholes' spell at hometown club Oldham Athletic lasted just 31 days.

John Terry moved into coaching with Aston Villa in October 2018 and helped the club back to the Premier League with victory over Lampard's Rams at Wembley.

The life and times of Rooney

Rooney made his professional debut for boyhood club Everton in August 2002 aged just 16 and became the Premier League's youngest scorer with a superb long-range goal against Arsenal before his 17th birthday.

After a strong Euro 2004 he moved to Manchester United for £27m, then a world-record fee for a teenager.

During 13 years with United he won the Premier League five times, the Champions League, the FA Cup and three League Cups.

His time with England was relatively less successful, although he did break Sir Bobby Charlton's long-standing record record of 49 goals before retiring from international football in August 2017.

He made a farewell appearance for the Three Lions against the United States in a friendly in November 2018 to finish with 53 goals in 120 appearances.

Rooney left Old Trafford in July 2017 to return to the Toffees on a two-year deal but moved to America after just one season.

He is the second-highest goalscorer in Premier League history, with 208 goals.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49243606

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1066 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I think he did very well against weaker opposition but usually failed to deliver in World Cups and European Championships.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Wayne Rooney is pleased big-name former England players are no longer shunning management as he starts his role as a player-coach at Derby.

Before Frank Lampard at Chelsea this season, the last former England players with more than 50 caps to start a top-flight campaign in charge of a Premier League team were Kevin Keegan at Newcastle United and Gareth Southgate at Middlesbrough in 2008.

Lampard's former Chelsea team-mate John Terry is also assistant to Dean Smith at Aston Villa, Scott Parker is attempting to win promotion back to the Premier League at Fulham, while Steven Gerrard has signed a two-year contract extension with Scottish Premiership title challengers Rangers.

Rooney intends to begin working towards his Uefa A coaching licence in the new year as his next step to joining his former England team-mates in beginning managerial careers.

"It is brilliant," said the 34-year-old, who joined Derby from MLS side DC United, of this new trend.

"There has been a lack of former England players going into management in the last 10 to 15 years.

"When they finish nowadays, players have enough money not to have to do it. TV comes in and they can earn good money doing that. But it is great to see those four working and doing so well."

Rooney says his own management aspirations will be on hold during his 18-month stint at Championship side Derby, even 'though he is officially a player-coach in support of manager Phillip Cocu.

He started to think about his post-playing career when he was at Manchester United and feels his role at Pride Park will indulge his passion for discussing the game.

"I used to sit with Ryan Giggs and analyse the opposition," he said.

"I love watching and talking about football. This allows me to do that but also have an opinion with the coaches."

Rooney is not going vegan
    It is more than 17 years since Rooney announced himself to the football world with a brilliant winner for Everton against Arsenal at Goodison Park as a 16-year-old.

It launched a career that saw Rooney eclipse Sir Bobby Charlton as the record goal-scorer for Manchester United and England.

Although international success proved elusive, Rooney won every club honour in the game during his 13 years at Old Trafford.

Despite a lot of mileage in his legs from more than 600 games at the top level, the striker remains old school in his attitude.

Asked if it is harder to get out of bed at the end of a demanding career than it was at the start, Rooney just shrugs.

"It is a bit different," he says. "I need my coffee on a morning and with four kids, I get up a bit earlier.

"But I still enjoy getting up and getting ready to go to work. Giggsy did his yoga but I have never been a big stretcher.

"I have always seemed to be able to walk on the pitch and hit balls and not really need to warm-up that much. And I won't be going vegan. I like my meat.

"It has gone quickly though, especially after I got to 30. Alan Stubbs used to tell me to enjoy it because it goes so quickly.

"I was 16 at the time, had just got in the team and thought he was just saying it because he was old. But I am at that stage now and, actually, it is good advice."

Good luck to 'Big Dunc'
    Rooney will again be only in the dug-out as Derby entertain Millwall on Saturday - he will not make his playing debut until 2 January against Barnsley - so will have the chance to watch his two old clubs on Sunday as Manchester United play Everton.

Rooney was pleased Duncan Ferguson was given the temporary task of stabilising Everton after the sacking of Marco Silva and start with a victory against Chelsea.

"The Everton fans needed to see that from the team and they needed to see that reaction from the manager on the touchline," he said.

"At Everton it is not a case of getting the ball and playing it out from the back with 500 or 600 passes. The fans want to see the ball getting forward and into the box.

"Duncan just reminded the players that sometimes football can be simple. I am really pleased for him.

"He is Mr Everton and you never know, if he gets a win on Sunday, he will put himself in the reckoning to get it [the job] full-time."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50787863

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Wayne Rooney never considered himself a natural goalscorer, but Manchester United and England's record-breaking striker believes he should have netted even more.

Having burst onto the scene with Everton so astonishingly at 16, the forward earned a big-money move to Old Trafford in 2004 and went on to score 253 goals in 559 appearances during a medal-laden spell there.

Rooney usurped Sir Bobby Charlton as United's all-time top scorer, just as he did in the England record books having netted 53 across 120 caps - not that he really considers himself to be a sharpshooter.

"I'm going to be honest - and this might surprise you - but I'm not a natural goalscorer," the 34-year-old told the Sunday Times.

"I was never a Gary Lineker or a Ruud van Nistelrooy; I never looked at myself that way.

"I hold the goal records for Manchester United and England and am very proud about that - yet there have been better No 9s than me.

"How did I become a record-breaker if I wasn't a natural scorer? Time. I played for United for 13 years, England for 15 years. I had time to break those records - and looking back I should have scored more."

Rooney believes Harry Kane is the closest he has seen to Van Nistelrooy and backed the Tottenham star to soon supplant him in the England charts.

"I don't think it will take long for Harry Kane to claim my England record and it would be a proud moment for me," Rooney said.

"I've never been a selfish player and it would be great for England for Harry to get there. Bobby Charlton had to wait 50 years - I hope it's not so long for me."

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ral-goalscorer

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The 34-year-old was given a watch at his home by a friend who had been tested for the disease and turned out to be positive
    Wayne Rooney is "angry and disappointed" after he was put in danger of contracting Covid-19 when he was visited by a friend who was infected with coronavirus.

The Derby player-coach was given a luxury watch at his home on Thursday by Josh Bardsley, who should have been in isolation after being tested for the virus and turned out to be positive for Covid-19.

Rooney was not aware that Bardsley was violating government and NHS protocol and went on to play the full 90 minutes as Derby lost to Watford in Friday's Championship match.

The player-coach had to have an emergency test on Saturday night and a spokesman told The Sun he would not have allowed the visit had he known Bardsley had been contacted by Test and Trace.

“Wayne met Josh Bardsley briefly when he visited Wayne’s house on Thursday," he said.

“Wayne was not told by Josh or anyone else before or during that visit that Josh had been told to take a coronavirus test.

“Had he known Josh had been contacted by Track and Trace or had tested positive he would have refused to have seen him.

“Wayne is angry and disappointed that he, his family and his club have been put in this position by someone acting secretly and in breach of government and NHS guidelines. He is now taking a coronavirus test as a result of his contact with Josh.”

Derby reacted to the news by assuring that they are following government advice in the face of the pandemic.

"Derby County Football Club is aware of a report in a national newspaper relating to a member of the club’s playing squad being in contact with an individual which has tested positive for Covid-19," a statement on the Rams' website read.

"On being made aware of this news the club has ensured that the appropriate measures were taken in line with strict EFL Covid-19 protocols and UK Government guidelines, which the club is operating under.

"The club will continue to adhere to the Covid-19 rules and protocols to ensure that the safest possible environment is provided for its players and staff."

https://www.goal.com/en-om/news/roon...r11qheoh5i8ybr

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    completely irrelevant, but i had an english teacher called rooney when i was younger.

he claimed to be quitting his job cos his nephew got a professional footie contract and was gifting him a trip to the far east. he said he'd be one of england's greatest players ever.

no idea if he was telling the truth or just scouted him on football manager and was spouting a drunken delusion. never saw him again tho.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He was a crackerjack in qualifiers but a turkey in tournaments. Rather like the England team itself.

Very good player at club level.

Not an ATG of the game.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1066 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    He was a crackerjack in qualifiers but a turkey in tournaments. Rather like the England team itself.

Very good player at club level.

Not an ATG of the game.
    Fair. He scored a lot of England goals but not when they were really needed.

I think he was a bit unlucky with his fitness and missed a World Cup.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post
    Shearer did nothing in major tournaments too.
    Eh. Shearer won the Golden Boot in Euro 96. He scored crucial goals against Switzerland, Scotland, Netherlands and Germany (5 goals in 5 games), and he scored in both penalty shootouts as well.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Rooney was world class but during the 2008-11, period, English media and United fans often pushed him as the third best player in the world after Messi and Ronaldo but that was never true.

He had a wonderful career but declined earlier than expected, in spite of the amount of games that he played in his teen years.

His early decline was similar to Fabregasí.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    The English team was a dysfunctional mess from 2000-2010. A lot of great players but no manager could figure out how to work them together.

Harsh to blame Rooney for flopping in World Cups and Euros. He would have done much better in a functioning system with better chemistry.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'd say Rooney was an ATG at club level but a failure at international level when it mattered most. Despite his ATG status, United really could've done with Rooney not peaking so early. A player of his level peaking at 29-30 is pretty unfortunate and when you see someone like Zlatan scoring at a better rate than Rooney was in 14/15 for AC Milan at nearly 40 years of age, you have to wonder what could've been.

Now I'm not saying every player should be at Zlatan's level of longevity but it did feel like Rooney was not taking care of himself enough. He never relied on pace and was always a quality technical footballer in my eyes, so to see him regress so quickly was shocking and probably why many still aren't as impressed by him overall as they should've been.

Debut
    Aug 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fantastic player for united who often sacrificed his own strengths to accommodate the quality for Ronaldo.

As for England excelled at Euro 2004 but then faded for England in major tournaments there after.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElRaja View Post
    completely irrelevant, but i had an english teacher called rooney when i was younger.

he claimed to be quitting his job cos his nephew got a professional footie contract and was gifting him a trip to the far east. he said he'd be one of england's greatest players ever.

no idea if he was telling the truth or just scouted him on football manager and was spouting a drunken delusion. never saw him again tho.
    It was actually completely irrelevant and I don't think it does even fits in any of the thousands of past threads in PP in all these years.... You sir, should be given an award for making the perhaps the most irrelevant post of all time.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1398 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    The English team was a dysfunctional mess from 2000-2010. A lot of great players but no manager could figure out how to work them together.

Harsh to blame Rooney for flopping in World Cups and Euros. He would have done much better in a functioning system with better chemistry.
    He also got really unlucky with injuries around major world tournaments.

2004, 2006 and 2010 were all disrupted due to injuries. I think 2012 and 2014 he was fit going into the tournament but he was already past his peak by then imo. Donít even remember if he played in 2016

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1066 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Rooney reached his peak by 2006 for England and did nothing in any meaningful watch after that. He played on far too long for England. For Man U he was excellent

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne Rooney: Derby County confirm former England striker as boss

Championship side Derby County have appointed England's record goalscorer Wayne Rooney as their new manager on a two-and-a-half-year contract.

The 35-year-old, who had been in interim charge since Phillip Cocu was sacked on 14 November, has now also officially retired as a player.

Rooney has overseen nine games so far, winning three and drawing four.

"The opportunity to follow Brian Clough, Jim Smith, Frank Lampard and Phillip Cocu is an honour," he said.

"I knew instinctively Derby County was the place for me."

Liam Rosenior takes up the role of assistant manager, with former England boss Steve McClaren continuing as technical director and advisor to the board of directors.

The Rams are third from bottom in the Championship, level on points with fourth-from-bottom Sheffield Wednesday.

A takeover for the club is expected to go through this week, with a deal between current owner Mel Morris and the Deventio Holdings Group having been agreed in November.

Rams chief executive Stephen Pearce said in an interview with BBC Radio Derby on Thursday that their were no problems with the takeover, despite the delays meaning players have not been paid their December wages.

"Our recent upturn in results under Wayne was married together with some positive performances, notably the 2-0 home win over Swansea City and the 4-0 victory at Birmingham City," said Pearce.

"During that nine-game run we also dramatically improved their defensive record and registered five clean sheets in the process, while in the attacking third we became more effective and ruthless too.

"Those foundations have provided a platform for the club to build on in the second half of the season under Wayne's guidance."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55646923

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Rooney reached his peak by 2006 for England and did nothing in any meaningful watch after that. He played on far too long for England. For Man U he was excellent
    Yeah. Pretty much.

He probably underachieved with national duty.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    Yeah. Pretty much.

He probably underachieved with national duty.
    After 2006 he was awful for England but still a great player for Man U. His career was similar patterns to Gerrards, brilliant club career awful internationally.

Debut
    Aug 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DEFO A UNITED LEGEND, had the pleasure of seeing him live on numerous occasions, he was class.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didnít really achieve anything (like the rest of the English team) but was hyped up by the English media.

No body will remember him.