Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Why India should shelter Rohingyas at any cost

Taking a break from my nazaria-e-Pakistan analysis routine to focus on the important part of my life, I had decided to not tweet or blog for few months. And while my life continues to demand my full attention, I couldn’t help but pick up my pen for silence at this hour would be tantamount to condoning injustice.

Again, I have spoken on numerous wrongs within Pakistan; today I have a more important plea to make and I hope my readers listen, as they’ve done in the past.

There is nothing Indian about denying rohingyas refuge

The discrimination and persecution of Rohingyas has existed since the 1962 coup by the Burmese Army, which went on to legally strip Rohingyas of their Burmese nationality in 1982. The current round of oppression is therefore only a continuation of the ethno-communal identity politics played by Buddhist majority Burma (Myanmar).

Truth is, before the coup, Rohingyas' did not hide their affinity for the erstwhile East Pakistan based on commonality in language, culture and religion — and even attempted a failed rebellion against Burma, planting seeds of segregation that have come to haunt them more than once.

The Buddhist Burmese haven’t necessarily been accommodative of their differences with the minorities — before Independence, they saw Rohingyas' through the lens of British agents and after Independence as occupiers.

British India’s reign extended in the East until Burma and the policy of migrating labourers led to a Rohingya settlement in Burma. This is akin to people from India being taken as labourers to Africa, Singapore, East Timor, et al.

While media reports have followed after each wave of Rohingyas' persecution and subsequent migration, one thread binds them all — zilch action and resolution of the crisis by co-religionists, immediate and extended neighbours and the international community and humanity in general.

I expect no solution from the Rohingyas' co-religionists because they themselves are embroiled in apartheid against their minorities and citizens in the name of Arab versus non-Arab or the more common Muslim versus Infidel, and I am piqued by a bucket of tears any Pakistani would weep at this ethno-religion discrimination by the Buddhist Burmese while they, themselves, proudly celebrate the birth of Pakistan – which, ironically, was based on the same premise.

And it could be that Pakistan would accept few Rohingyas in the short term, only to eventually discriminate and strip them of their identity, culture and language as they have done with Sindhis and Kashmiris.

The ideal solution would be for Rohingyas to be equal and free citizens in their own land – Burma (Myanmar), but that would require the US, India and China to align and speak in one voice against Burmese Military Junta, instead of the present trend of placating Burma for its strategic-economic importance.

My analysis does not see this happening, as Burmese Generals are too smart not to sense the global sentiment against Islam and too cunning not to play one country against another.

Well, frankly, most Generals across the world have won medals for strategy rather than bravery.

Should India shelter Rohingyas?

Let’s understand its implications and India’s tryst with Islam.

The fact is that Hindu Raja Dahir (Sindh) gave refuge to family members of Imam Hussain, who were sought by the Umayyad in their deadly hunt to eliminate the last of the Ahl-e-Bait (Prophet Muhammad’s immediate family); certain historians claim Hussain ibn Ali, the grandson of Prophet Muhammad, who was hunted by the Umayyad was on his way to Sindh when he was seized at Karbala in Iraq and killed.

The barbarity of the Arabs that followed has the natives of Sindh in tears even today — they mourn equally for Hussian and Raja Dahir.

Another fact is that Islam is an exclusivist religion. It has institutionalised segregation and apartheid as norm for non-Muslims. Its history is littered with disrespect for civilisation, culture, laws and humans that are in any manner different to its worldview.

Further, when in minority, instead of integrating within the local culture and community, Islam — if followed — would require special privileges and perpetuate ghettos.

Partition of India on the basis of the two-nation theory is a fact. Accession in Kashmir in the name of Islam is also a fact. And that the seemingly never-ending Hindu-Muslim divide has become even more acute with a Hindu nationalist government in India is also a fact.

With these concerns laid bare, should India still give refuge to the predominantly Muslim Rohingyas?

My answer is yes.

Because, Rohingyas are truly the sons and daughters of India.

Because India’s national fabric is not divisiveness, it is universal acceptance and tolerance. India’s idea was and should remain every religion is true, every path leads to the same destination.

India has sheltered persecuted Jews, Zoroastrians, Muslims of Prophet's family and Syrian Christians.

Because the very argument of the Hindu Right — that in order to preserve India it is imperative to deny refuge to Muslim Rohingyas — is incongruous with India and its civilisational ethos.

India stands today, despite millennia of invasion, not merely because of unceasing resistance but primarily because of blessings of millions that were once given refuge and chance to live as brothers and sisters.

The idea of Rome, Persia or Egypt could be dead, but India stands only because someone has to guide the world towards universal brotherhood and love — who better than India?

What better opportunity than now?

Fear begets hatred, fearlessness is love.

Do the right thing India.

Shalom.

http://www.dailyo.in/variety/dont-de...y/1/19362.html
    Obviously an opinion piece, not news.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem in giving them refuge, but then do we also give them citizenship, like our Bengali neighbors after the 1971 war, heck Mamta is still doing her bit in West Bengal.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    India can't praise a highest elected official who is murdering them and give them shelter at the same time.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India is not obliged to do anything at all. The Rohingya still will get in to India one way or another if they want to.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    India is not obliged to do anything at all. The Rohingya still will get in to India one way or another if they want to.
    India have already closed down the border so i dont see how they would just get in if they wish. Right now 40K refugees are in India who might be sent back.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianG00se View Post
    India have already closed down the border so i dont see how they would just get in if they wish. Right now 40K refugees are in India who might be sent back.
    Desperate people always find ways to get in by bribing. Those already in India won't be going anywhere soon.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Desperate people always find ways to get in by bribing. Those already in India won't be going anywhere soon.
    They need money in order to bribe the officials. Even if somehow they make it, there is likely chance that they would be living ghetto life. No money No food and No Shelter.

Those who've made it to India are living terrible life.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They need money in order to bribe the officials. Even if somehow they make it, there is likely chance that they would be living ghetto life. No money No food and No Shelter.

Those who've made it to India are living terrible life.
    But they are still alive albeit most likely surviving by begging. In Burma they won't be alive to beg! They will bribe using various tactics. There are many illegal Bangladeshis living in Bihar.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But they are still alive albeit most likely surviving by begging. In Burma they won't be alive to beg! They will bribe using various tactics. There are many illegal Bangladeshis living in Bihar.
    There is a saying, " If not Bullet, Hunger will Kill you". Hope you get my point. There is no denying that they wouldnt be killed in India like they would in their homeland, but seeing them living in wasteland and scavenging from waste/dumps is inviting lot of trouble for them and for people nearby. Like I mentioned if they will be living terrible life then they are merely delaying the inevitable.

I do want them to survive but at same time they should also live albeit somewhat quality life. Illegal Bangladeshis have been the real reason why India is reluctant to open its border for refugees. Bangladeshis have change the demography of Northeastern states of India.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Only on one condition, that they give up beef and vote for the BJP. Ok, make that two conditions.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1716 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    India cannot afford another big population influx. Needs to stay away from Rohingyas mess.

Aaj ka kaam kal karo, Kal ka kaam parson. Aisi bhi jaldi kya hai, Jab jeena hai barson.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    822 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Such a complex decision.

Morality vs practicality.

My heart says we should give them shelter on humanitarian grounds. Those poor people are literally getting butchered.

I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1060 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    Such a complex decision.

My heart says we should give them shelter on humanitarian grounds. Those poor people are literally getting butchered.
    What about the poor in this country?Any idea how many homeless die in India every year?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    822 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    What about the poor in this country?Any idea how many homeless die in India every year?
    They aren't getting butchered literally. Few more ain't gonna break us.

If we send these refugees back, they will get killed.

Take in a few and review our approach as we move along. We can't save the world on our own but we can do our bit.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Why should BJP be in favour of letting in people who are going to vote against it. If they were hindus, they would have been let in, no questions asked.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1060 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    They aren't getting butchered literally. Few more ain't gonna break us.

If we send these refugees back, they will get killed.

Take in a few and review our approach as we move along. We can't save the world on our own but we can do our bit.
    You need to look up how many die in India every year due to poverty.Lets first get our house in order and then we can start doing a bit for the world.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1060 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    Why should BJP be in favour of letting in people who are going to vote against it. If they were hindus, they would have been let in, no questions asked.
    Refugees dont have voting rights.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such a complex decision.

Temporary refugees? If anything more, like granting citizenship for illegal aliens, then we'd be doing Indians over in the NE a huge disservice!

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Refugees dont have voting rights.
    Easy to get voter and aadhar card. You should be knowing.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1060 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    Easy to get voter and aadhar card. You should be knowing.
    With the monitoring going on and the names being deleted enmasse, not anymore.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not true, verification for voter Id & Aadhar is stupidly lax, as opposed to the number of hoops one needs to go through for a passport.

Once you get logged in the system, you are a de facto Indian, there aren't background checks even for driving license!

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1060 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0H1T View Post
    That's not true, verification for voter Id & Aadhar is stupidly lax, as opposed to the number of hoops one needs to go through for a passport.

Once you get logged in the system, you are a de facto Indian, there aren't background checks even for driving license!
    Driving license and Aadhar are not proof of citizenship.

Govt is rechecking names in the voter list in immigration prone states like Assam and Bengal.Names are being removed by the thousands.Once you cannot vote, you are no use to the polutical parties and will be left to fend for yourself.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If India was serious, they could have shut the Myanmar army down instead. But they kinda want this to happen.
    The only disappointed leadership in this matter is of Pakistan/China. They could have turned things around but are dead silent despite knowing that this will only create more enemies in future for China.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Driving license and Aadhar are not proof of citizenship.

Govt is rechecking names in the voter list in immigration prone states like Assam and Bengal.Names are being removed by the thousands.Once you cannot vote, you are no use to the polutical parties and will be left to fend for yourself.
    Of course they are not, but then what is? You also know that we get fake death certificates issues, how do you prove you;re alive then? In the same vein, what's there to prove that you were born in India, even birth & domicile certificates can be bought!

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maxamax View Post
    If India was serious, they could have shut the Myanmar army down instead. But they kinda want this to happen.
    The only disappointed leadership in this matter is of Pakistan/China. They could have turned things around but are dead silent despite knowing that this will only create more enemies in future for China.
    Why would India shut off Myanmar army? It's Myanmar's internal issue. Why mess with Burma and make another enemy or on the eastern border?

If any, Pak could have requested China to put pressure on Burma. China and Pak are BFF's anyway. This is the least China could do to its best friend.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1060 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Why would we make an enemy on our otherwise peaceful eastern front?

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a saying, " If not Bullet, Hunger will Kill you". Hope you get my point. There is no denying that they wouldnt be killed in India like they would in their homeland, but seeing them living in wasteland and scavenging from waste/dumps is inviting lot of trouble for them and for people nearby. Like I mentioned if they will be living terrible life then they are merely delaying the inevitable.

I do want them to survive but at same time they should also live albeit somewhat quality life. Illegal Bangladeshis have been the real reason why India is reluctant to open its border for refugees. Bangladeshis have change the demography of Northeastern states of India.
    India should give them refuge for a while. At the same time guarantee should be provided as to when they will leave. The demographics and borders of the subcontinent make it rather easy to cross over in to the neighbouring country as is often the case with Indo-Pak fisherman. There are plenty of illegal Indian's living in Pakistan as well.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    Why would India shut off Myanmar army? It's Myanmar's internal issue. Why mess with Burma and make another enemy or on the eastern border?

If any, Pak could have requested China to put pressure on Burma. China and Pak are BFF's anyway. This is the least China could do to its best friend.
    Why would we make an enemy on our otherwise peaceful eastern front?

If Indians could do same with Bangladesh, why not Burma?

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question, the fact is it was India"s plan to spread separatism and further it's agenda of dividing Pakistan in 1971 and not some humanitarian effort.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such a complex decision.

Nothing complex about it, morality is subjective, practicality is not

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    822 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToeCrusher2 View Post
    Nothing complex about it, morality is subjective, practicality is not
    Exactly.

Hence complex for some.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1060 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    East Pakistan was already an enemy.More than 1cr people had already come in and infilterated and creating havoc.Pakistan launched the war by OP Chengiz Khan.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1060 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
    Good question, the fact is it was India"s plan to spread separatism and further it's agenda of dividing Pakistan in 1971 and not some humanitarian effort.
    So India made Sheikh Mujib win the election and get Majority in Pakistani NA in 1970?Or did India imprison him instead of making him PM?Did India start the worst genocide since WW2 or did India send 10mn plus people as refugees in the neighbouring country.Or did India do OP Chengiz Khan?

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure Mamata Begum let it happen completely?

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they have other alternative countries for refugee? How much challenging is it to make into them?

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such a complex decision.

No. Today's world is brutal for idealists. Pragmatism and own's interest is the best. Otherwise trouble awaits in future for sure.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1060 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollack View Post
    Are you sure Mamata Begum let it happen completely?
    She has no authority over this.Citizenship isnt a state subject.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India shouldn't..... Bangladesh should shoulder all the responsibility here.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She has no authority over this.Citizenship isnt a state subject.
    You don't have to be citizen of India to get voter ID and adhar for some select population . Hope you get what I am hinting at.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1060 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollack View Post
    You don't have to be citizen of India to get voter ID and adhar for some select population . Hope you get what I am hinting at.
    Thats what i am saying, the central govt has control over Aadhar and Voter list.They are deleting the names from the voter list and since aadhar is now mandatory for almost everything and already thousands of aadhar have been deactivated because they belong to illegal immigrants, mamata cant do much.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad policy choice made by the current administration. At a minimum, they had an option to take in a token amount of refugees. Strictly monitor them and register them, so that they don't become citizens, but don't close the door. They could have easily provided funding to Bangladesh to create some sort of facilities on the border where so many are coming through. This is wrong.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Cairo, Egypt
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Instagram!

Please also follow PakPassion Sport!

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1060 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad10 View Post

That UNHCR card has ZERO value as India is not a signatory to the UN convention on Refugees and no one can force a country to keep illegal immigrants.These people are being identified and will be deported.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That UNHCR card has ZERO value as India is not a signatory to the UN convention on Refugees and no one can force a country to keep illegal immigrants.These people are being identified and will be deported.
    India should take them in for a while at least. Taking a few thousand refugee's will make no difference.
    Last edited by mmkextreme_1; 14th September 2017 at 14:34.