Instagram


The Cricket Paper

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 47 of 47
  1. #1
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    11,072
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Examining the PCB evidence which convicted Sharjeel Khan

    I have spent considerable time reading the PCB's formal Findings in Sharjeel Khan's corruption trial.

    SOURCE: http://www.pcb.com.pk/downloads/anti...n%208-9-17.pdf

    But I'm glad I spent the time. Because what I am about to write may surprise readers. And bear in mind, I have had this post read by a lawyer to ensure that I say nothing which could be considered libelous, because PakPassion would take this post straight down if I did. This is a sanitized post, cleaned up to ensure that nobody is accused of anything.

    I've spent a lot of time reading these kinds of reports. The ICC Tribunal Findings report for Amir, Asif and Butt can only be described as an absolutely masterful document, in which three internationally eminent legal experts in the field of Sports Law list the evidence - even including photographs - weigh up mitigating and exacerbating factors and then come up with a beautifully measured set of punishments.

    Let's just start by saying that the PCB Findings report against Sharjeel Khan is a very different document.

    It is 60 pages long, and it is not until Page 29 that the panel - made up of a wicketkeeper, a soldier and a judge - make an astonishing admission of their own.

    In the words of this panel:

    "The only documentary evidence which is on record is a USB (marked Exhibit A)".

    Astonishingly, no evidence from the USB stick is actually then used to justify the conviction of Sharjeel Khan.

    Now, let's go back a step or two to refresh our memories about what convicted Amir, Asif and Butt at their ICC Tribunal.

    1. Verbal recordings MADE BEFORE THE FIX in which Amir and Butt stated that no-balls would be delivered at set points.

    2. Self-incriminating text messages BEFORE THE FIX between Amir, Butt and Mazhar Majeed.

    3. Camera footage showing the no-balls bowled on cue.

    4. Marked notes from the newspaper which paid for the fix, found in the possession of both Amir and Butt (but not Asif).

    You see the level of proof required? Actual evidence, including EVIDENCE TAKEN BEFORE THE FIX.

    The PCB failed to provide any evidence of any similar level of proof against Sharjeel Khan.

    1. There is no recording or SMS or any evidence of any description from before the alleged fix. It is said that Sharjeel Khan had said he would do a stretch before the dot balls that he was going to play. But:

    a) There is no recording to this effect, or text messages, or emails, or even a witness statement made prior to the alleged offences.
    b) The man giving evidence that Sharjeel said this failed to make any evidence to that effect prior to the fix. He could have sent himself an email, sent someone a text message, made a sworn affidavit prior to the alleged fix, anything to say when the dots would be bowled and what Sharjeel's signal would be. He didn't.

    2. There is no evidence of any payment having been made to Sharjeel Khan for the dot balls. No marked notes. No bank transfers. No record of any payment at all.

    3. Astonishingly, there isn't even any evidence to support the assertion on Page 3 that "on 9 February 2017 Cricketer Sharjeel Khan allegedly knowingly met with the Bookie/Fixer YA at a café near the Conrad Hotel". No photos. No videos. No sound recording. No witnesses. Nothing!

    So on what evidence have the wicketkeeper, the soldier and the judge convicted this cricketer?

    It's all rather simple, according to the PCB report.

    On page 14, the report notes that "The Security and Vigilance Department of the PCB had information that the players had been contacted by bookies, they were prone to spot-fixing, and thus were on the radar of PCB".

    So what do we have here?

    A conviction for an extremely serious offence. Made by a three man panel of which two of them have no legal qualifications.

    And made with an extraordinary lack of evidence. There appears to be no evidence whatsoever which was verifiably made before the alleged offence.

    1. No evidence of the meeting with the bookie/fixer.
    2. No advance evidence of what the timing of the fixes was going to be.
    3. No advance evidence of what the signal for the fixes was going to be.
    4. No proof of payment for the alleged offences.

    The ICC Tribunal for Amir, Asif and Butt contained so much damning evidence that no-one could possibly doubt the fix.

    The PCB Tribunal on Page 29 in effect fails to produce any evidence whatsoever to confirm any of the matters listed in points 1 to 4 above.

    I presume that Sharjeel Khan will be taking this straight to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

  2. #2
    Debut
    Jun 2012
    Runs
    1,588
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Even though there might be no evidence against him but it doesn't mean he is not guilty... I think he will take 1.5 year ban(1 year out of 2.5 is already gone) and will make a comeback in domestic cricket...

  3. #3
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    44
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    I have spent considerable time reading the PCB's formal Findings in Sharjeel Khan's corruption trial.
    1. No evidence of the meeting with the bookie/fixer.
    Didn't he himself admit the meeting.

    I think this case is different from trio case. A board is taking action against its own players. What the motives can be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    I have spent considerable time reading the PCB's formal Findings in Sharjeel Khan's corruption trial.
    4. No proof of payment for the alleged offences.
    Can't this be a case of blackmail? I remember his video messages that someone can publish his "fake" vulgar video.

    There is no smoke without fire. All in all I think this is a step in right direction. At least now other players know they are being watched and can be caught even on "little" evidence and will think twice before putting themselves before their country.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    11,072
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badsha001 View Post
    Even though there might be no evidence against him but it doesn't mean he is not guilty... I think he will take 1.5 year ban(1 year out of 2.5 is already gone) and will make a comeback in domestic cricket...
    Now that the PCB's report has confirmed that there was no actual evidence against Sharjeel Khan, I'm astonished that they dared to ban him at all.

    As I quoted earlier - from their own report - the PCB Tribunal acted upon the following "fact":

    "The Security and Vigilance Department of the PCB had information that the players had been contacted by bookies, they were prone to spot-fixing, and thus were on the radar of PCB"


    That's not evidence for a conviction.

    That's like saying "somebody told me that Joe Root fixes, so we held a tribunal and found him guilty of fixing".

    (I must emphasise here that there is ZERO suggestion that Root is a fixer! )

    That is an astonishing leap. It is tantamount to saying that its okay to make up verdicts in the absence of any evidence because some anonymous person has told you that the person is a fixer.

    As I wrote earlier, you actually have to either get a confession or else produce evidence which includes timestamped evidence (video, audio, email, SMS) produced BEFORE the alleged fix of what the fix is going to be.

    If you don't have timestamped evidence from before the fix, anyone can just watch the footage, see a squat or an ear scratch straight before a dot ball and say "aha, I had been told that there would be a squat / ear scratch followed by a dot ball at Over 3.2".

    I am baffled at how the PCB thought they could publish a Findings Report that explicitly acknowledges that there was no evidence whatsoever, and then stand behind the verdict.

    And I'm even more shocked that nobody apart from me is calling them out for it.

    All I have done is use their own printed words from their own report! I haven't even taken them out of context!
    Last edited by Junaids; 11th September 2017 at 08:57.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    11,072
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maanleo View Post

    I think this case is different from trio case. A board is taking action against its own players. What the motives can be?
    The new Chairman of the PCB had come out at the time stating that there was conclusive evidence against Sharjeel Khan.

    But according to the PCB Tribunal's own report, there was actually no evidence whatsoever. No timestamped evidence of what the fix was going to be. No evidence of what the fix was. No money found to have changed hands. Not even any film or audio or video footage proving that Sharjeel's notorious 9 February 2017 meeting happened at all.

    I sincerely hope that this isn't a verdict designed to save the Chairman of the PCB from embarrassment because of his unsubstantiated claims of evidence against Sharjeel Khan. Because if it is, the Court of Arbitration for Sport will make mincemeat of the verdict.

    Lastly, the fact that two of the three members of the Tribunal were completely unqualified to be on it (the wicketkeeper and the soldier) raises a strong possibility that the majority of members of the Tribunal did not understand the burden of proof required for a Guilty verdict. When I forwarded the PCB report to a lawyer (to allow him to check that my original post was not libellous) he practically fell off his chair laughing at the Guilty verdict.

    His reply was "you can't find someone Guilty of something without evidence, just because someone has told you that they are guilty".

  6. #6
    Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    4,958
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Junaids it seems you are the only one falling into your own trap.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    11,072
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Junaids it seems you are the only one falling into your own trap.
    I don't even like Sharjeel Khan: I think he is a hack with comically absent foot movement.

    But I am astonished that someone can be found guilty of an extremely serious offence by a Tribunal which admits in its Report of Findings that it didn't have any evidence.

    I understand that Pakistani law has changed enormously since the 1970s, but still!

  8. #8
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    7,590
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Junaids

    -Sharjeel did not come in front of tribunal for cross examination which shows he was shying away (tribunal stated that only reason for playing against his natural style could be presented by Sharjeel himself)

    -There were two messages from Yousaf to the other guy, First message was that we are in or something like that on time when Sharjeel made those signals, And then once the dot balls were played, Yousaf messaged the other guy JOB WELL DONE

    It's enough for evidence

  9. #9
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    960
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel will never think of approaching CAS. It puts him in bad books of Sethi/PCB, resulting in undeclared ban from international team for him, a la Sadaf Hussain, even if his ban is lifted right away

  10. #10
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    11,072
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamza_ View Post
    @Junaids

    -Sharjeel did not come in front of tribunal for cross examination which shows he was shying away (tribunal stated that only reason for playing against his natural style could be presented by Sharjeel himself)

    -There were two messages from Yousaf to the other guy, First message was that we are in or something like that on time when Sharjeel made those signals, And then once the dot balls were played, Yousaf messaged the other guy JOB WELL DONE

    It's enough for evidence
    That is literally the opposite of justice.

    The onus is on the Prosecution to prove guilt, not the accused to prove innocence.

    You simply cannot say "only Sharjeel can justify why he played 2 dot balls". You have to provide proof of:

    1. Him agreeing in advance to fix
    2. Him agreeing in advance to fix those precise balls in a specific way.
    3. Those balls being fixed the same precise way.
    4. Him being paid or otherwise rewarded for the act.

    It's why there is the Right To Remain Silent.

    The Prosecution has to prove the case. They can't say "he stayed silent so he must be guilty".

  11. #11
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    11,072
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamza_ View Post
    @Junaids

    -There were two messages from Yousaf to the other guy, First message was that we are in or something like that on time when Sharjeel made those signals, And then once the dot balls were played, Yousaf messaged the other guy JOB WELL DONE

    It's enough for evidence
    No, it's not.

    There is no proof of Sharjeel being party to a fix.

    And there is no advance identification of either the signal, its meaning, or what would then be produced.

    It's utterly valueless as evidence.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    12,803
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    I have spent considerable time reading the PCB's formal Findings in Sharjeel Khan's corruption trial.

    SOURCE: http://www.pcb.com.pk/downloads/anti...n%208-9-17.pdf

    But I'm glad I spent the time. Because what I am about to write may surprise readers. And bear in mind, I have had this post read by a lawyer to ensure that I say nothing which could be considered libelous, because PakPassion would take this post straight down if I did. This is a sanitized post, cleaned up to ensure that nobody is accused of anything.

    I've spent a lot of time reading these kinds of reports. The ICC Tribunal Findings report for Amir, Asif and Butt can only be described as an absolutely masterful document, in which three internationally eminent legal experts in the field of Sports Law list the evidence - even including photographs - weigh up mitigating and exacerbating factors and then come up with a beautifully measured set of punishments.

    Let's just start by saying that the PCB Findings report against Sharjeel Khan is a very different document.

    It is 60 pages long, and it is not until Page 29 that the panel - made up of a wicketkeeper, a soldier and a judge - make an astonishing admission of their own.

    In the words of this panel:

    "The only documentary evidence which is on record is a USB (marked Exhibit A)".

    Astonishingly, no evidence from the USB stick is actually then used to justify the conviction of Sharjeel Khan.

    Now, let's go back a step or two to refresh our memories about what convicted Amir, Asif and Butt at their ICC Tribunal.

    1. Verbal recordings MADE BEFORE THE FIX in which Amir and Butt stated that no-balls would be delivered at set points.

    2. Self-incriminating text messages BEFORE THE FIX between Amir, Butt and Mazhar Majeed.

    3. Camera footage showing the no-balls bowled on cue.

    4. Marked notes from the newspaper which paid for the fix, found in the possession of both Amir and Butt (but not Asif).

    You see the level of proof required? Actual evidence, including EVIDENCE TAKEN BEFORE THE FIX.

    The PCB failed to provide any evidence of any similar level of proof against Sharjeel Khan.

    1. There is no recording or SMS or any evidence of any description from before the alleged fix. It is said that Sharjeel Khan had said he would do a stretch before the dot balls that he was going to play. But:

    a) There is no recording to this effect, or text messages, or emails, or even a witness statement made prior to the alleged offences.
    b) The man giving evidence that Sharjeel said this failed to make any evidence to that effect prior to the fix. He could have sent himself an email, sent someone a text message, made a sworn affidavit prior to the alleged fix, anything to say when the dots would be bowled and what Sharjeel's signal would be. He didn't.

    2. There is no evidence of any payment having been made to Sharjeel Khan for the dot balls. No marked notes. No bank transfers. No record of any payment at all.

    3. Astonishingly, there isn't even any evidence to support the assertion on Page 3 that "on 9 February 2017 Cricketer Sharjeel Khan allegedly knowingly met with the Bookie/Fixer YA at a café near the Conrad Hotel". No photos. No videos. No sound recording. No witnesses. Nothing!

    So on what evidence have the wicketkeeper, the soldier and the judge convicted this cricketer?

    It's all rather simple, according to the PCB report.

    On page 14, the report notes that "The Security and Vigilance Department of the PCB had information that the players had been contacted by bookies, they were prone to spot-fixing, and thus were on the radar of PCB".

    So what do we have here?

    A conviction for an extremely serious offence. Made by a three man panel of which two of them have no legal qualifications.

    And made with an extraordinary lack of evidence. There appears to be no evidence whatsoever which was verifiably made before the alleged offence.

    1. No evidence of the meeting with the bookie/fixer.
    2. No advance evidence of what the timing of the fixes was going to be.
    3. No advance evidence of what the signal for the fixes was going to be.
    4. No proof of payment for the alleged offences.

    The ICC Tribunal for Amir, Asif and Butt contained so much damning evidence that no-one could possibly doubt the fix.

    The PCB Tribunal on Page 29 in effect fails to produce any evidence whatsoever to confirm any of the matters listed in points 1 to 4 above.

    I presume that Sharjeel Khan will be taking this straight to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
    That's some excellent analysis and comprehensive skills there, @Junaids


    "When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

  13. #13
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    7,590
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Junaids why are those two messages from bookie to the other guy not evidence of fixing during the match?

  14. #14
    Debut
    Jun 2012
    Venue
    Ireland
    Runs
    119
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe instead of catching them so quick (i.e: on the first day of PSL) they could have let him be longer and kept an eye on his movements. That way they would have been able to present more evidence if there were more meetings and if there was a bank transfer made for example

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    11,072
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamza_ View Post
    @Junaids why are those two messages from bookie to the other guy not evidence of fixing during the match?
    Because there is no advance identification of what the signal was, what the timing was to be or what the fix itself would be.

    Anybody can see any gesture made by a batsman when a dot ball is played, and then say (after the event) "him wiping his nose was the signal for the dot ball to be played."

    Unless you are seriously claiming that the PCB has proved that the SMS was typed and sent in the split second between the squat and the delivery?

    The PCB needed to run this completely differently. They evidently had no advance intelligence of a fix, and are reliant upon claims after the event of what any given gesture meant.

    To obtain a safe conviction they needed to have a recording or an SMS IN ADVANCE of when the fix would be, how it would be signalled, what it would be and proof of agreed payment.

    Or, at the very minimal least, the bookie saying BEFORE the squat that:

    1. Sharjeel is going to squat now, and
    2. That means that the next ball will be a dot ball.
    Last edited by Junaids; 11th September 2017 at 11:27.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    SW Uk
    Runs
    473
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think this wole saga with sharjeel is a publicity stunt by the pcb to make sure the long awaited psl starts with a bang

  17. #17
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    9,310
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pointless discussion.

    If sharjeel has a problem he could do an appeal at that switzerland court. Simple as that


    "Life is Pain"
    ~House~

  18. #18
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    7,590
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Junaids isn't this what bookie essentially said by WE ARE ON, When Sharjeel made the signal.

    Clearly illustrates the next balls will be dots

  19. #19
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    7,590
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Misia that I'd agree with, TRP for PSL would be on an all time high.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    9,095
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkut fan View Post
    Maybe instead of catching them so quick (i.e: on the first day of PSL) they could have let him be longer and kept an eye on his movements. That way they would have been able to present more evidence if there were more meetings and if there was a bank transfer made for example
    I disagree with you. As soon as there is any fixing, you should stop that altogether. You can't just let people play if you know they are going to fix, that's unfair on everyone.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    5,706
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Junaids terrific post. I strongly recommend you to email this to Sharjeel Khan's lawyer if you already haven't.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    11,072
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamza_ View Post
    @Junaids isn't this what bookie essentially said by WE ARE ON, When Sharjeel made the signal.

    Clearly illustrates the next balls will be dots
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!

    Steve Smith after every delivery touches either his pads or his helmet.

    I could send a message to someone after every time he touches his helmet, saying the next ball will be a dot ball. And 50% of the time I would be right.

    But that doesn't make him guilty.

    I can only prove him guilty if I:

    1. Say "Steve Smith will touch his left pad after the 3rd ball of the 7th over, and the next ball will be a dot ball."

    AND

    2. Provide some evidence that Smith has wilfully agreed to this fix, either or both of:

    a) A recording, email or SMS of him agreeing to do it - which existed for Amir and Butt, although not Asif,
    and
    b) A record of payment for services rendered - such as the marked notes found in Amir and Butt's hotel safe, or Hansie Cronje's leather jacket.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    11,072
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    If the PCB somehow stumble across this thread, I bet you any money that next time they only produce a report in Urdu!

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    11,072
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    I disagree with you. As soon as there is any fixing, you should stop that altogether. You can't just let people play if you know they are going to fix, that's unfair on everyone.
    That's touching, but completely unlawful.

    You need to have proof.

    The PCB has basically admitted on Page 14 that it only had secondhand claims that the players were fixing, and on Page 29 they admit that they had no actual evidence whatsoever.

    You can't stop someone playing on such a complete lack of evidence.

    I don't think much of Sharjeel Khan as a player. But he was entitled to justice, and a presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

    And having read Pages 14 and 29 in particular, it's pretty hard to claim that the case against him has been proven.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    20,172
    Mentioned
    1099 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Junaids, For the longest time didnt you maintain that the evidence against the trio wasnt that much to begin with?

  26. #26
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    11,072
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Junaids, For the longest time didnt you maintain that the evidence against the trio wasnt that much to begin with?
    Actually, no.

    I accepted their guilt at the outset - I actually thought the Fake Sheikh was a quality journalist. (!!!!!!)

    What changed for me was when the ICC published the Tribunal Report, albeit briefly. It was obvious to me that all three were guilty, but it was also obvious that there was no evidence against Asif - no marked bank notes, no SMS messages, no voice recordings.

    I ended up thinking that Asif - whom I actually don't like - ended up with his career being ruined for an incident in which his own guilt was less than the other two. Yes, he didn't report the corrupt approach. But he actually did resist it - which neither Amir nor Butt did - and then in the end he reluctantly agreed to bowl a single no-ball as a favour to his manager, and refused to take payment for it.

    I actually have no doubt about that.

    The criminal trial was a circus. The ICC Tribunal was conducted by three expert judges who were cricket lovers.

    The criminal trial was too fast, it was unfair to try all 4 defendants at once, the jury consisted of 12 people of whom only 1 knew what a no ball was, the jurors - and judge - reportedly continually got confused between Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir, in part because evidence kept coming up about Amir but he wasn't in the courtroom because he had already pleaded guilty.

    In the end, the jury managed to convict Mohammad Asif of taking payment for his no ball, even though the Crown had not provided any evidence or even an argument that he did - their evidence related to the marked banknotes found in the safe of Mohammad Amir. Seriously, if Mohammad Ali or even Mohammad Ali Jinnah had turned up in court on verdict day, they might have been found guilty of Mohammad Amir's offences!

    So Asif appealed. Only for his criminal appeal to also be heard jointly with Butt and then dismissed in just 2 hours, with the appeal judge refusing to hear any arguments at all.

    So yes, I think all 3 were guilty. But I think that Asif's ICC ban was reasonable - he didn't report the corrupt approach - but that his criminal conviction is an appalling miscarriage of justice.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    7,590
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Junaids Sir, The bookie meets Sharjeel, There is evidence that the signal was to be made possibly in voice messages and it was confirmed by text of bookie.

    And regarding Steven Smith, Yes you are right players do make such gestures and touch their pads.etc BUT the tribunal went through previous 8-10 matches video clips of Sharjeel and he NEVER made any of such action during those innings.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    11,072
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamza_ View Post
    @Junaids Sir, The bookie meets Sharjeel, There is evidence that the signal was to be made possibly in voice messages and it was confirmed by text of bookie.

    And regarding Steven Smith, Yes you are right players do make such gestures and touch their pads.etc BUT the tribunal went through previous 8-10 matches video clips of Sharjeel and he NEVER made any of such action during those innings.
    My friend, unfortunately none of that meets the threshold to be counted as evidence.

    I honestly don't know whether or not Sharjeel Khan is guilty. For all I know he might be.

    But the incidents that you are hanging his conviction on have not been dealt with appropriately at all.

    If he met with a bookie, there needs to be evidence provided. Why isn't there a photograph, especially as it supposedly happened in a café?

    As for him squatting down an then playing a dot ball, that's nowhere near the threshold for a conviction. It hasn't even been proved that there was a fix at all - for that to be proved, we have to have recorded ADVANCE evidence of what was about to happen - both the squat and the dot ball.

    Perhaps the last word should go to the author Ed Hawkins, who wrote Bookie Gambler Fixer Spy after spending time with Indian bookies. He makes clear that the ludicrous thing about the sting which caught out Amir, Asif and Butt is that there actually is no gambling market for dot balls or no balls, not even in T20.

    And he explains why there is no such thing.

    By definition, the only people who would bet on such a thing are fixers who have corruptly organised it. So no bookie in his right mind will accept bets on it.

    Amir, Asif and Butt were not hardened fixers, so when their manager told them that they would be paid to bowl no balls and for Butt to play dot balls, they were naïve and ignorant enough to believe it, even though it was just a newspaper set up.

    There is a huge illegal gambling and fixing problem - but it relates to how many runs will be scored in 4, 5 or 10 over blocks and to when wickets will fall.

    The whole farce of the Amir, Asif and Butt sting was that they were caught doing something that no real bookie or fixer would even consider.

    And yet we are supposed to believe that now it does exist, and that Sharjeel did it? Sorry, I'm not buying it. If he is a fixer - and he might be - the real fixing would relate to his scoring rate and time or type of dismissal.

    Not dot balls. That sounds like the fervent imagination of someone who knows a little bit about the Amir, Asif and Butt case, without understanding that it wasn't a real fix.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    17,625
    Mentioned
    1261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I think, SK is guilty; but for technical reasons, his case can't be proved, hence that punishment looked a bit harsh to me.

    What Junaids explained beautifully, I read a bit synopsis of that (just rolling pages) and didn't find much concrete evidence for such capital punishment. I felt he was sacrificed to prove credibility & improve image. I might be wrong & PCB should prove that on his appeal, but as of now - 6 months ban & stripping him financially was enough for me.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    7,590
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @MMHS if there is no evidence? Then how do we get proper evidence and catch fixers?

    @Junaids I do believe that justice was served by accepting all charges against him, Because facts of the case went against Sharjeel.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    11,866
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Could this be the first PP post in history that has been passed to a lawyer before it's been posted on here?

    Jokes aside, interesting stuff @Junaids. Well researched.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    408
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say it was fine to convict him even if there is no "convict-able" proof. This way it will send a message out to all other players to keep away from such acts.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    17,625
    Mentioned
    1261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamza_ View Post
    @MMHS if there is no evidence? Then how do we get proper evidence and catch fixers?

    @Junaids I do believe that justice was served by accepting all charges against him, Because facts of the case went against Sharjeel.


    We have to give benefit of doubt to the players here, if there is no concrete evidence. Amir, Butt & Asif were caught red handed, otherwise almost every such case is "Circumstantial". For SK, I am sure he is guilty to a certain extent - but dragging his case like this (because for sure, he'll appeal & go for a lengthy legal battle), doesn't improve image of PAK cricket. Also, if he can manage to reduce his punishment, it'll be create a worse example to younger players - do fix, but erase evidence, so that you can get away with little.

    Best thing to do in such cases it to close the chapter quickly & make sure that there is no follow up actions. Best thing to do (if there is no concrete evidence) is to hurt the player where it hurts & give a silent massage to other players. Long back, I can recall ACB (Now CA), fined about AUS $60K (quite a some that time) to Mark Waugh & Warne; while Deano played his last match for AUS at probably 31 - we came to know that almost a decade later; here PCB is making sure that people'll hear Sharjeel case from their grave!!!!.

    Never think that I am a fan of him or because he is essential for PAK team - but, just don't feel the guy is treated fairly. There are many, many such culprits, but this guy was caught & probably paying big as a scarecrow for reasons I mentioned in other thread - Hyderabad born, Sindhi speaking, Non Punjabi & probably for his political affiliation.

  34. #34
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    3,074
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel can take this thread with him for his appeal..it's not really going to help him.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    1,048
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with junaid

  36. #36
    Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    967
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BUMP

    Quite relevant

  37. #37
    Debut
    Nov 2016
    Runs
    271
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no concrete evidence. If they had solid proof, Sethi would share it with the media and the entire world. Sethi is a big attention seeker and when he realized that his hawai firing didn't have any solid proof, he did his whole drama.

    If he has solid proof, show it to the world and I will fully support the ban. If he doesn't have any evidence then he should apologize to Sharjeel and the nation and resign...but he's an egomaniac so that won't happen.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    2,679
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is so much wrong with this post it is laughable.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    4,073
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Junaids is 100% correct here. 100%

    I am a lawyer.

    There is literally no evidence here.

    What two third parties (various bookies) said to each other can never constitute evidence as against a player.

    If tomorrow I message Junaids saying that Joe Root will fix Ashes. You can't punish Joe Root after he is dismissed by looking at the videos of the 2 minutes before he is out and then pointing out some action or mannerism and saying that is a trigger for the fix.

    There needs to be some proof of some sort that Sharjeel consented to fix or got something in return for fixing, or played abnormally, or that the odds on some market in the match were behaving unusually etc...

    The whole evidence here is a nothing. Forget reasonable doubt etc, there is literally no reason at all to think Sharjeel is guilty based on this evidence.

    If this happened in England or Australia, the ECB or CA would get multi-million dollar fines they would have pay directly to a player if his career was derailed based on this sort of non-evidence.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    967
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Mamoon what are your thoughts on this?

  41. #41
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    70,817
    Mentioned
    3911 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    @Mamoon what are your thoughts on this?
    The PCB are under no obligation to disclose the findings to the public; is clearly mentioned in the ACU code. I am not certain about the extent of Sharjeel's guilt, but I am willing to bet on the fact that he is 100% guilty to a certain extent, which means in other words, he is not innocent. Hence, I have no issues with the severity of the punishment.

    In my opinion, life-bans are the only way forward when it comes to dealing with match-fixers. Age, naivety, influence, circumstances, severity etc. etc. should not matter when it comes to selection of the tainted players. Obviously, these things play a role when it comes to legalities, but the PCB is under no obligation to select a tainted player.

    For example, legally Sharjeel might be banned for 5 number of years, but the PCB does not have to select him after his ban is over. If our players know that if they get involved in this dirty business they can kiss their international career goodbye, no matter why, how, when etc., they will certainly think more twice before trying to make some quick cash.

    Unfortunately for the PCB to impose life-bans, the mentality of our people needs to change. As a nation, we love to defend our tainted players because we are genetically predisposed to play the victim card when convenient.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    17,625
    Mentioned
    1261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketAnalyst View Post
    Junaids is 100% correct here. 100%

    I am a lawyer.

    There is literally no evidence here.

    What two third parties (various bookies) said to each other can never constitute evidence as against a player.

    If tomorrow I message Junaids saying that Joe Root will fix Ashes. You can't punish Joe Root after he is dismissed by looking at the videos of the 2 minutes before he is out and then pointing out some action or mannerism and saying that is a trigger for the fix.

    There needs to be some proof of some sort that Sharjeel consented to fix or got something in return for fixing, or played abnormally, or that the odds on some market in the match were behaving unusually etc...

    The whole evidence here is a nothing. Forget reasonable doubt etc, there is literally no reason at all to think Sharjeel is guilty based on this evidence.

    If this happened in England or Australia, the ECB or CA would get multi-million dollar fines they would have pay directly to a player if his career was derailed based on this sort of non-evidence.

    Besides, Col. Azam can be a witness, not a judge or jury in this case. Not saying SK is innocent, but the process was flawed. If PAK had a strong players’ Union, this would have gone to long, long distance (in fact then PCB won’t have closed it this way).

  43. #43
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    3,403
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Besides, Col. Azam can be a witness, not a judge or jury in this case. Not saying SK is innocent, but the process was flawed. If PAK had a strong players’ Union, this would have gone to long, long distance (in fact then PCB won’t have closed it this way).
    Shejeel is going to challenge it in high court and going by current political sitiuation in the country and hearing v

  44. #44
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    17,625
    Mentioned
    1261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRsohail View Post
    Shejeel is going to challenge it in high court and going by current political sitiuation in the country and hearing v
    Col Azam can’t be a judge in this case - only place he can talk is witness box, with an oath. And, he’ll response to the cross examination of SK’s lawyer as well. Similarly, Gen Zia can be a jury (if applicable), not judge.

    I am not a lawyer, but common sense works every where. If PCB has evidence (solid, fake - that also has to be confirmed after forensic test, for the sake of saying let’s say solid), then that (text, voice record, photo, money trail ...) has to be presented as exhibit - then it comes to merit of SK’s play.

    I felt, 2 things went wrong here - first SK is guilty, to some extent, but I can’t tell how much. If he had taken money, no point judging the merit of his shots. But, he (his lawyer) was expecting a “soft” punishment from PCB - something I mentioned - 2/3mn PKR, 6 months ban from the start date which allows him to play even in NZ, 5 years observation period and may be a demotion out of central contract for 2 years (so that he can use every PCB facility, but financially suffers). So, they went soft & tried to negotiate.

    2nd one was that PCB had other agenda, which again was extreme. They picked a “soft” target from Hyderabad & Sindhi community to earn some reputation, which shouldn’t be supported either. It’s easy to say that you shoot the first bird and hang it as scare crow, which’ll stop killing many other birds; BUT that unfortunate 1st bird only picked one straw, to be dead .........

    So, now SK has got his back on wall and this time he is going all out. At the same time PCB is pretending that the punishment wasn’t sufficient enough to counter that.

    I don’t think, we have seen the end of it - but either way SK loses, his age won’t wait.

  45. #45
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    3,403
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Col Azam can’t be a judge in this case - only place he can talk is witness box, with an oath. And, he’ll response to the cross examination of SK’s lawyer as well. Similarly, Gen Zia can be a jury (if applicable), not judge.

    I am not a lawyer, but common sense works every where. If PCB has evidence (solid, fake - that also has to be confirmed after forensic test, for the sake of saying let’s say solid), then that (text, voice record, photo, money trail ...) has to be presented as exhibit - then it comes to merit of SK’s play.

    I felt, 2 things went wrong here - first SK is guilty, to some extent, but I can’t tell how much. If he had taken money, no point judging the merit of his shots. But, he (his lawyer) was expecting a “soft” punishment from PCB - something I mentioned - 2/3mn PKR, 6 months ban from the start date which allows him to play even in NZ, 5 years observation period and may be a demotion out of central contract for 2 years (so that he can use every PCB facility, but financially suffers). So, they went soft & tried to negotiate.

    2nd one was that PCB had other agenda, which again was extreme. They picked a “soft” target from Hyderabad & Sindhi community to earn some reputation, which shouldn’t be supported either. It’s easy to say that you shoot the first bird and hang it as scare crow, which’ll stop killing many other birds; BUT that unfortunate 1st bird only picked one straw, to be dead .........

    So, now SK has got his back on wall and this time he is going all out. At the same time PCB is pretending that the punishment wasn’t sufficient enough to counter that.

    I don’t think, we have seen the end of it - but either way SK loses, his age won’t wait.
    According to one of famous sports journalist PCB is going to be in trouble if High court accepts his appeal and I think the same,PCB has no solid evidence against him and he has got soft corner from many journalists so.............
    Last edited by Sean143; 7th December 2017 at 06:44.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    7,590
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @MMHS there is strong evidence.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    17,625
    Mentioned
    1261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamza_ View Post
    @MMHS there is strong evidence.
    I am not denying that he is guilty - at least I can say that he is not innocent. My point was regarding the process - even if he is guilty & PCB had strong evidence, this case will get weaker for PCB's procedure, which again isn't acceptable. As I said, I am not a lawyer, but commonsense tells that, if PCB had concrete evidence, then they probably would have gone for an open trial - like the one in UK for the tinted trio.

    For me, strong evidence in this case is money trail. For a murder case, you'll see police always try to recover the weapon used - even eye witness isn't sufficient to hang someone if the "tool" used isn't found. These cricket experts' Gyaan on how SK played those 2 balls has zero value - I accepted money to kill someone, then didn't pull the trigger, though I got the target in my riffle sight...... Unless money trail and the contract (to kill) is established, don't think I'll stay in jail for more than few months (that too may be for possessing a weapon...) because of few former killers testifying my motive.

    What little I have read, PCB has lots of circumstantial evidence - which is fine for monetary fine, few months ban. But, if you are to finish someones career, it has to be specific. Besides, Court doesn't consider statement (confession) under police custody for obvious reasons - here, I don't think what Col. Azam is telling has much weight.

    Any lawyer here can add value to this argument, on legal merit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •