Instagram



Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 75 of 75
  1. #1
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    11,697
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Have flagship smartphones become too expensive?

    We're seeing some amazing smartphones hit the market in recent times - the galaxy 8, the note 8 and the soon to be released iPhone 8.

    However with advancing technology comes a high price. Apple, Samsung etc are selling £/$800/900 handsets by the bucketloads. Sure a lot of people will get their handsets via a contract with a carrier/network but over 12-24 months it still adds up to a large sum.

    Where will it end? What is the maximum you will spend on a smartphone? At what point do people say enough is enough?

  2. #2
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    1,348
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bought this one: https://es.aliexpress.com/store/prod...647252802.html

    Oukitel K6000 Pro. Works like a charm.

    Never liked flagship smartphones.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    21,766
    Mentioned
    4149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Yeah they are, bought a G5 recently best phone out there if you're on a budget. Lenova P2 is also great but hard to get in the UK now, was £200 but due to popularity price went up

  4. #4
    Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    39,913
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Yes, quite expensive.

    I have an iPhone 7 and don't plan on changing it for 2-3 years.

    Don't see the need to fork over more money for the iPhone 8/8+/X.


    May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    21,766
    Mentioned
    4149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Basically I'd wait to get something from the black market if there's a high end product I like, problems is I've now distanced me self from all the dodgy blokes in the area so will have to settle for the best budget phone out there.

    Generally I would spend no more then £230, but if there was a max I would go up to maybe 500 but have never spent that much.

    I never get contract, they rip you off and overcharge at times. Always have been a pay as you go guy, on giff gaff pay £7.50 a month

    People spend insane sums though, has to be said but when I go over my budget it's usually on things like food and books , probably would be video games to but never get time to play Close to a grand is too much for a phone when there are more powerful computers / laptops, plus you don't always get value for money in terms of spec relative to other alternatives. Then again people have distinct reasons for their purchase

  6. #6
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    7,261
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @shaz619 I bought LG G5 last year in September for 29k, It started heating up.

    And I've heard other issues with LG G5 as well such as stuck at boot, My LG G4 died down with this problem.

    Anyways I think SGS8 is the best buy, If you want somewhere around 15-20k Huawei P9 is the best thing you can get, It's a very reliable phone.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    21,766
    Mentioned
    4149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamza_ View Post
    @shaz619 I bought LG G5 last year in September for 29k, It started heating up.

    And I've heard other issues with LG G5 as well such as stuck at boot, My LG G4 died down with this problem.

    Anyways I think SGS8 is the best buy, If you want somewhere around 15-20k Huawei P9 is the best thing you can get, It's a very reliable phone.
    My G5 is the Motto the one that says hello fatty

    Yeah Huawei is an excellent phone their spec give you amazing value for money, although I don't like their software interface as much as motorola.


    Ah, so this is what it feels like

  8. #8
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    14,537
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I buy a Rs. 8,000 - 10,000 Android phone and change every 14 - 18 months after they inevitably wear out.

    In three years I'll have three new phones for Rs. 30,000 while some buy iPhones for Rs. 60,000 and again the new model when it comes out well before even two years.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    1,348
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    I buy a Rs. 8,000 - 10,000 Android phone and change every 14 - 18 months after they inevitably wear out.

    In three years I'll have three new phones for Rs. 30,000 while some buy iPhones for Rs. 60,000 and again the new model when it comes out well before even two years.
    +1. Well said. That's the way to go!

  10. #10
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    822
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    will quote my post from another thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    iphone wipes the floor with other devices when it comes to quality, smoothness, stability and longevity. samsung, htc etc pack a lot of features but the difference in quality between iphones and their phones is massive

    secondly it appears to be very expensive at $1000 but if you break it down

    it is a device that you will use a lot more than any other device. probably 5-6 hrs a day

    assuming that you will use the phone for one year only before upgrading the cost of the iphone x roughly translated to $3 per day

    it is dirt cheap for someone who can afford to pay for smartphones

    it is much better to buy a flagship phone that lasts for years (until you decide to replace it) rather than buying a low quality device that you will have to replace every year or so because it will wear out

  11. #11
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    822
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have had the iphone 5s for 4 years and works perfectly and is much smoother and stable compared to a brand new android

    i have to replace it now because it doesn't get software updates anymore. considering i had it for 4 yrs it was a very good investment

    similarly the iphone x will last me for another 4 yrs so it is a good investment for $1000

    you have to consider the value you are deriving and not the price you paid in isolation


    "To Became A Good Player, You Need Talent. To Became A Great Player You Need An Attitude Like Kohli" - Sunil Gavaskar

  12. #12
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    7,261
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using Huawei P9 from one year, It has even got a fully cracked screen but still runs like a charm, Quality stuff.

    @shaz619

  13. #13
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    11,697
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Xiaomi produce some nice phones too. However you can't buy it from one of the big high street or online names (in the UK anyway) so there's a bit of risk when importing them as you have less consumer rights.

    A lot of these budget phones are catching up to the more well known manufacturers imo. However one area where they always fall short is camera quality - cameras on the top end Samsung, apple, google etc handsets are outstanding.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    183
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love gaming so inevitably end up changing my phone to the latest flagship every 2 years as I inflict significant damage to the screen. That said, I still don't see the need to upgrade every year. There are a few people I know who need to have the latest iPhone. It does not matter to them that they hardly use their existing phones beyond WhatsApp and calls. It's more about the brand value and being able to afford the latest, I believe

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    24,034
    Mentioned
    917 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    will quote my post from another thread




    it is much better to buy a flagship phone that lasts for years (until you decide to replace it) rather than buying a low quality device that you will have to replace every year or so because it will wear out
    Apple stops updating software of Iphones after 3 years forcing users to buy new ones and here you are saying Iphones last 5-6 years. Don't act smart about things you have only limited knowledge about.



    Inzi is the best selector in the world

  16. #16
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    24,034
    Mentioned
    917 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have been rocking the One Plus 3 for a year and a half, works like a charm and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg to acquire it. (Basically CAD 500 after tax and delivery charges). I didn't like the One Plus launcher so I just switched to the Google Now launcher. Can you do that in an over-priced "smartphone" called Iphone?


    Inzi is the best selector in the world

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    940
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    I have been rocking the One Plus 3 for a year and a half, works like a charm and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg to acquire it. (Basically CAD 500 after tax and delivery charges). I didn't like the One Plus launcher so I just switched to the Google Now launcher. Can you do that in an over-priced "smartphone" called Iphone?
    Agree, I have one plus 3 as well, never faced a problem in the past 1 year, and I have been constantly changing launchers every now and then, definitely a way better deal than an iphone

  18. #18
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    1,336
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes

    Hence I bought - a xioami mi max for £165 last yr.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Gurgaon
    Runs
    2,044
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    I have been rocking the One Plus 3 for a year and a half, works like a charm and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg to acquire it. (Basically CAD 500 after tax and delivery charges). I didn't like the One Plus launcher so I just switched to the Google Now launcher. Can you do that in an over-priced "smartphone" called Iphone?
    Quote Originally Posted by ToeCrusher2 View Post
    Agree, I have one plus 3 as well, never faced a problem in the past 1 year, and I have been constantly changing launchers every now and then, definitely a way better deal than an iphone
    Same here. Using one plus three for an year now and before that used one plus one for 18 months. One plus 5 is a bummer though. Too costly and they have messed up the software. It's not a flagship killer if you are going to sell it for INR 38k.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    8,284
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It was discomforting to see everyone afford an iPhone, which was taking away its premium status. With the price increase it will again be a coveted product and an object of envy for others.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    822
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Apple stops updating software of Iphones after 3 years forcing users to buy new ones and here you are saying Iphones last 5-6 years. Don't act smart about things you have only limited knowledge about.

    updating software is optional


    "To Became A Good Player, You Need Talent. To Became A Great Player You Need An Attitude Like Kohli" - Sunil Gavaskar

  22. #22
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    24,034
    Mentioned
    917 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LastManstanding View Post
    Same here. Using one plus three for an year now and before that used one plus one for 18 months. One plus 5 is a bummer though. Too costly and they have messed up the software. It's not a flagship killer if you are going to sell it for INR 38k.
    Yes the One Plus 5 didn't impress me at all, and all flagships are going for edge to edge display this year. You can't kill them with such huge bezels. OP will have to rethink the OP 6 if they have to stay in the market.


    Inzi is the best selector in the world

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    24,034
    Mentioned
    917 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    updating software is optional
    If you don't update software, your apps don't get updated either because the app updates are always for the latest software.


    Inzi is the best selector in the world

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    822
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    If you don't update software, your apps don't get updated either because the app updates are always for the latest software.
    yes but that happens after a certain time period and not annually. iphone 5s had support till ios 10 and it would get updates

    you can comfortably use an iphone for 3-4 years without any problem

    educate yourself


    "To Became A Good Player, You Need Talent. To Became A Great Player You Need An Attitude Like Kohli" - Sunil Gavaskar

  25. #25
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    24,034
    Mentioned
    917 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    yes but that happens after a certain time period and not annually. iphone 5s had support till ios 10 and it would get updates

    you can comfortably use an iphone for 3-4 years without any problem

    educate yourself
    Only if you buy a new charger every six months because the charger wire is built to last only that much, also the screen is the easiest to break from all flagships and you do not want to install any new apps after 3 years. I'm adequately educated.


    Inzi is the best selector in the world

  26. #26
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    822
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Only if you buy a new charger every six months because the charger wire is built to last only that much, also the screen is the easiest to break from all flagships and you do not want to install any new apps after 3 years. I'm adequately educated.
    haven't had a new charger in ages and didn't break my screen. iphone is the most long lasting smartphone. the performance does not drop after 6 months like android


    "To Became A Good Player, You Need Talent. To Became A Great Player You Need An Attitude Like Kohli" - Sunil Gavaskar

  27. #27
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    24,034
    Mentioned
    917 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    haven't had a new charger in ages and didn't break my screen. iphone is the most long lasting smartphone. the performance does not drop after 6 months like android
    Lol you just exposed the fact that you know nothing about smartphones. Makes sense why you are an Iphone fan.


    Inzi is the best selector in the world

  28. #28
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    1,366
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Lol you just exposed the fact that you know nothing about smartphones. Makes sense why you are an Iphone fan.
    Pot kettle black
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    If you don't update software, your apps don't get updated either because the app updates are always for the latest software.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    24,034
    Mentioned
    917 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0H1T View Post
    Pot kettle black
    I had an Iphone at one point, once you stop receiving software updates your apps don't update either.




    Inzi is the best selector in the world

  30. #30
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    21,766
    Mentioned
    4149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    @Syed1 Is an engineer, which makes his opinions a lot more valid in comparison to the common fella being one who has a legit appreciation for technical excellence relative to how much value you are actually getting out of your investment. You can argue all you want with these fella's bro but they won't understand, when it comes to an iphone the main appeal has been the brand they established being pioneers and their emphasis on design / high premium feel at times; beyond that in terms of performance they don't have a lot going for them in terms of what you can get out of Android phones whilst paying a lot less.

    People are talking about longevity of their phones being a factor, are they serious ? I've had Moto G 2nd gen for a long long time; how wil an iPhone 7 really last longer then a Samsung s8 ? assuming it does, would it outlast the s8 to such an extent that it would be worth paying an extra £300 ? since it is longevity which folk are advocating as one of the reasons for their purchase.

    If people are going to say they are buying an Iphone due to their likeness for the way they design their products and their fandom of the apple brand; fair enough. But when folk advocate their product as being the undisputed greatest when it comes to performance and longevity it's very ignorant.

    As it stands though the s8 is by far the best smartphone in the world imo, beautiful design, amazing spec and it's not as overly priced compared to its competitors.


    Ah, so this is what it feels like

  31. #31
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    1,366
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    I had an Iphone at one point, once you stop receiving software updates your apps don't update either.


    That depends on the minimum OS the app supports, it has nothing to do with what you wrote.

    I know because it's the same in Linux, Mac OS, Windows, Android etc.

    What you;re saying is nonsensical.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    24,034
    Mentioned
    917 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    @Syed1 Is an engineer, which makes his opinions a lot more valid in comparison to the common fella being one who has a legit appreciation for technical excellence relative to how much value you are actually getting out of your investment. You can argue all you want with these fella's bro but they won't understand, when it comes to an iphone the main appeal has been the brand they established being pioneers and their emphasis on design / high premium feel at times; beyond that in terms of performance they don't have a lot going for them in terms of what you can get out of Android phones whilst paying a lot less.

    People are talking about longevity of their phones being a factor, are they serious ? I've had Moto G 2nd gen for a long long time; how wil an iPhone 7 really last longer then a Samsung s8 ? assuming it does, would it outlast the s8 to such an extent that it would be worth paying an extra £300 ? since it is longevity which folk are advocating as one of the reasons for their purchase.

    If people are going to say they are buying an Iphone due to their likeness for the way they design their products and their fandom of the apple brand; fair enough. But when folk advocate their product as being the undisputed greatest when it comes to performance and longevity it's very ignorant.

    As it stands though the s8 is by far the best smartphone in the world imo, beautiful design, amazing spec and it's not as overly priced compared to its competitors.
    Beautiful post, I had tears in my eyes reading it


    Inzi is the best selector in the world

  33. #33
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    1,366
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    @Syed1 Is an engineer, which makes his opinions a lot more valid in comparison to the common fella being one who has a legit appreciation for technical excellence relative to how much value you are actually getting out of your investment. You can argue all you want with these fella's bro but they won't understand, when it comes to an iphone the main appeal has been the brand they established being pioneers and their emphasis on design / high premium feel at times; beyond that in terms of performance they don't have a lot going for them in terms of what you can get out of Android phones whilst paying a lot less.

    People are talking about longevity of their phones being a factor, are they serious ? I've had Moto G 2nd gen for a long long time; how wil an iPhone 7 really last longer then a Samsung s8 ? assuming it does, would it outlast the s8 to such an extent that it would be worth paying an extra £300 ? since it is longevity which folk are advocating as one of the reasons for their purchase.

    If people are going to say they are buying an Iphone due to their likeness for the way they design their products and their fandom of the apple brand; fair enough. But when folk advocate their product as being the undisputed greatest when it comes to performance and longevity it's very ignorant.

    As it stands though the s8 is by far the best smartphone in the world imo, beautiful design, amazing spec and it's not as overly priced compared to its competitors.
    I'm a BE CS, you think you know more than me?

  34. #34
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    24,034
    Mentioned
    917 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0H1T View Post
    That depends on the minimum OS the app supports, it has nothing to do with what you wrote.

    I know because it's the same in Linux, Mac OS, Windows, Android etc.

    What you;re saying is nonsensical.
    But as LEO mentioned over there Iphones last for 5-6 years while Androids not even six months, so outdated software doesn't seem to be a big issue for Android


    Inzi is the best selector in the world

  35. #35
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    1,366
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    But as LEO mentioned over there Iphones last for 5-6 years while Androids not even six months, so outdated software doesn't seem to be a big issue for Android
    I said it's more because of RAM in the other thread, to a lesser extent storage, that still doesn;t validate your other point.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    21,766
    Mentioned
    4149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0H1T View Post
    I'm a BE CS, you think you know more than me?
    Yes, am Rocket Scientist we have to do a lot of programming to and am sure Syed1 did as well during his Mechanical Engineering degree, we're a lot more versatile then you one dimensional IT guys . Also being Pakistani helps us like a million times


    Ah, so this is what it feels like

  37. #37
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    24,034
    Mentioned
    917 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0H1T View Post
    I said it's more because of RAM in the other thread, to a lesser extent storage, that still doesn;t validate your other point.
    You never mentioned RAM and Storage when you quoted me.




    Also it is outdated mentality that Androids don't last, maybe if you buy the cheap budget ones. I have a One Plus 3, a mid-range Android and 1.5 years after release it is still working as it did on its first day. In terms of specs a $1000 Iphone X has 3 GB off RAM, but my cheap outdated One Plus has 6 GB


    Inzi is the best selector in the world

  38. #38
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    1,366
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Yes, am Rocket Scientist we have to do a lot of programming to and am sure Syed1 did as well during his Mechanical Engineering degree, we're a lot more versatile then you one dimensional IT guys . Also being Pakistani helps us like a million times
    Oh sure, I bet you know more about phones because you;re a mechanical engineer or rocket scientist.

    I'm sure that makes sense, but I'm hoping you;re trolling at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    You never mentioned RAM and Storage when you quoted me.




    Also it is outdated mentality that Androids don't last, maybe if you buy the cheap budget ones. I have a One Plus 3, a mid-range Android and 1.5 years after release it is still working as it did on its first day. In terms of specs a $1000 Iphone X has 3 GB off RAM, but my cheap outdated One Plus has 6 GB
    Bhai saab do do thread chal rahe hein, I'm sure you won;t mind checking that one out.
    Last edited by R0H1T; 13th September 2017 at 16:58.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    8,284
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    I had an Iphone at one point, once you stop receiving software updates your apps don't update either.


    Wrong. Only those apps won't update whose deployment target is higher than the device version. Plus there is a last compatible version which Apple provides.

    So it all depends on the app developers if they want to support previous versions. Same applies to android. They have a minimum support version, which is upto the discretion of the developers.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    24,034
    Mentioned
    917 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    Wrong. Only those apps won't update whose deployment target is higher than the device version. Plus there is a last compatible version which Apple provides.

    So it all depends on the app developers if they want to support previous versions. Same applies to android. They have a minimum support version, which is upto the discretion of the developers.
    Yeah so after 3 or so years, developers also move on to later versions and stop producing for apps for older versions of OS.


    Inzi is the best selector in the world

  41. #41
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    8,284
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Yeah so after 3 or so years, developers also move on to later versions and stop producing for apps for older versions of OS.
    Only if they know that the percent of users having the old OS is less and not worth the effort. But the point is, that it applies to android as well, not unique to iOS.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    1,366
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    Only if they know that the percent of users having the old OS is less and not worth the effort. But the point is, that it applies to android as well, not unique to iOS.
    It applies to every OS ~ desktop, mobile or server.
    Last edited by Muhammad10; 13th September 2017 at 18:26.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    24,034
    Mentioned
    917 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    Only if they know that the percent of users having the old OS is less and not worth the effort. But the point is, that it applies to android as well, not unique to iOS.
    But as per leo here androids don't last past the six month mark so that isn't really an issue for them


    Inzi is the best selector in the world

  44. #44
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    2,209
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have had an iPhone 5 for around 5 years now and recently changed the battery myself at a cost of around $15. It works great and recently I moved all my music to it (which is a bit complicated but can be done if you do a bit of research).

    I looked at the iPhone presentation yesterday, and while impressive I don't think the new iPhones offer enough to get me to replace my existing phone. I understand that for gamers the new features are nice, but I am not a gamer and I don't want to go through the work of having to move my music and apps again.

    If you keep the phone for 5 or more years, the cost of an iPhone is very low.
    Last edited by Napa; 13th September 2017 at 17:22.

  45. #45
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    2,209
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    when it comes to an iphone the main appeal has been the brand they established being pioneers and their emphasis on design / high premium feel at times; beyond that in terms of performance they don't have a lot going for them in terms of what you can get out of Android phones whilst paying a lot less.
    Apple has grabbed the image of being cool in the minds of the Western consumers. And that image is going to propel it to being the first company in the world with a market capitalization of over $1T. Does someone in a New York art gallery or a Dallas real estate office want to be seen with a Samsung rather than an iPhone? These things are not determined by technical specs, but rather by brand image.

    As it stands though the s8 is by far the best smartphone in the world imo, beautiful design, amazing spec and it's not as overly priced compared to its competitors.
    While the Samsung phone is very nice, the iPhone customer segment is not very price sensitive. That is the reason why Apple's market cap is $820B, while Samsung's is only $305B, even though Samsung produces many things other than smartphones.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=sams...utf-8&oe=utf-8

    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/AAPL?p=AAPL
    Last edited by Napa; 13th September 2017 at 17:36.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £200 would be my limit. The phone has to have AMOLED, good battery and gyro/compass. Lenovo P2 ticks all those boxes.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    822
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    But as per leo here androids don't last past the six month mark so that isn't really an issue for them
    i didn't say android lasts for 6 months only

    i said that iphones are much more stable than androids and even a 3 years old iphone is less buggy than a brand new android

    secondly android phones have very high ram only because it the os is very buggy and they cannot make it useable without the high ram

    ios is slick as butter so apple does not need high ram. if samsung lowers its ram to iphone level the phone will become a brick


    "To Became A Good Player, You Need Talent. To Became A Great Player You Need An Attitude Like Kohli" - Sunil Gavaskar

  48. #48
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    24,034
    Mentioned
    917 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post

    i said that iphones are much more stable than androids and even a 3 years old iphone is less buggy than a brand new android

    wow wow wow...


    Inzi is the best selector in the world

  49. #49
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    822
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    Apple has grabbed the image of being cool in the minds of the Western consumers. And that image is going to propel it to being the first company in the world with a market capitalization of over $1T. Does someone in a New York art gallery or a Dallas real estate office want to be seen with a Samsung rather than an iPhone? These things are not determined by technical specs, but rather by brand image.



    While the Samsung phone is very nice, the iPhone customer segment is not very price sensitive. That is the reason why Apple's market cap is $820B, while Samsung's is only $305B, even though Samsung produces many things other than smartphones.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=sams...utf-8&oe=utf-8

    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/AAPL?p=AAPL
    don't expect simple folks like @Syed1 and @shaz619 to understand this

    it is too complicated and intelligent for them
    Last edited by Muhammad10; 13th September 2017 at 18:28.


    "To Became A Good Player, You Need Talent. To Became A Great Player You Need An Attitude Like Kohli" - Sunil Gavaskar

  50. #50
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    822
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    wow wow wow...

    the truth

    but but but you can't still be using an iphone 5 now because UPDATES


    "To Became A Good Player, You Need Talent. To Became A Great Player You Need An Attitude Like Kohli" - Sunil Gavaskar

  51. #51
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    24,034
    Mentioned
    917 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    don't expect simple folks like @Syed1 and @shaz619 to understand this

    it is too complicated and intelligent for them
    Says the guy who thinks a 3 year old Iphone has better performance than a brand new Android


    Inzi is the best selector in the world

  52. #52
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    24,034
    Mentioned
    917 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  55.3 KB


    Inzi is the best selector in the world

  53. #53
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    822
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Says the guy who thinks a 3 year old Iphone has better performance than a brand new Android
    indeed

    an iphone 6 (2014) is more stable and slick than samsung s8 (2017)

    that is simply because of ios and how well it is integrated

    the only android that is as smooth as the ios is the google phone and it is obvious why. it has the cleanest version of android and it has not been customized for third party like samsung,htc,motorola etc


    "To Became A Good Player, You Need Talent. To Became A Great Player You Need An Attitude Like Kohli" - Sunil Gavaskar

  54. #54
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    822
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  55.3 KB

    what does this tell you?


    "To Became A Good Player, You Need Talent. To Became A Great Player You Need An Attitude Like Kohli" - Sunil Gavaskar

  55. #55
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    24,034
    Mentioned
    917 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    indeed

    an iphone 6 (2014) is more stable and slick than samsung s8 (2017)

    that is simply because of ios and how well it is integrated

    the only android that is as smooth as the ios is the google phone and it is obvious why. it has the cleanest version of android and it has not been customized for third party like samsung,htc,motorola etc
    Dude have you even seen a S8? Most people say it is the BEST phone of 2017, even AFTER the Iphone X release. Time for you to grow up kid.


    Inzi is the best selector in the world

  56. #56
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    24,034
    Mentioned
    917 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    what does this tell you?
    It is too hard for your mind, give it a rest. I posted it for the benefit of other posters.
    Last edited by Muhammad10; 13th September 2017 at 18:32.


    Inzi is the best selector in the world

  57. #57
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    822
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Dude have you even seen a S8? Most people say it is the BEST phone of 2017, even AFTER the Iphone X release. Time for you to grow up kid.
    it looks amazing no doubt but features and user experience are two different things

    samsung packs all the features in the world but it still struggles to provide some basic essentials such as a smooth stable device

    i would rather have less features (most of which no one ever uses) and a smooth os rather than the opposite


    "To Became A Good Player, You Need Talent. To Became A Great Player You Need An Attitude Like Kohli" - Sunil Gavaskar

  58. #58
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    24,034
    Mentioned
    917 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    it looks amazing no doubt but features and user experience are two different things

    samsung packs all the features in the world but it still struggles to provide some basic essentials such as a smooth stable device

    i would rather have less features (most of which no one ever uses) and a smooth os rather than the opposite



    Watch this and stop quoting me with your outdated info and mindless posts.


    Inzi is the best selector in the world

  59. #59
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    1,366
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Says the guy who thinks a 3 year old Iphone has better performance than a brand new Android
    Look, you're both right & somewhat both wrong. I'll explain why ~
    1. The Ax SoC that go into iphones & ipads are the fastest processors in their power class i.e. 10W or lower.
    2. Apple designs their hardware, phone & tablets, in a way that their users need to upgrade in a few years, how many years ~ that depends on the user.
    3. They do this by limiting RAM & storage, for storage (ROM) there are options up to 256GB but that's mainly useful for storing files & such.
    4. The real impediment in upgrading apps is RAM, more & more apps, as well as browsers & websites, consume oodles of RAM these days. Therefore some websites can simply crash on an iOS browser, same goes for certain apps.
    5. With Android you really only have the Samsung Galaxy S & Note series series which are comparable to iPhones.
    6. They use the best components from Samsung, which Apple itself uses in displays, memory & storage.
    7. Sammy also updates their phones (OS) for a good amount of time, after it's released, almost as long as the Nexus series.
    8. With Android the OS is mostly controlled by Google, the various manufacturers add their skin, UI, apps et al & package it under their brand.
    9. iOS is totally controlled by Apple & they can do whatever they want at an amazing speed, the Metal API is also one of the reasons Apple can do more with less (resources) but Vulkan should bring some of this parity to Android.
    10. Now as for reliability is concerned Apple brand sells itself, has a better resale value * the Apple retail stores are the best so far as customer care is concerned.
    11. iPhone is also used, often times as a benchmark for phones that can last a long time, it's because of the quality of it's build & components, considering the price that should be the least it ought to be capable of.
    12. In that regard only Samsung is consistently good & reliable, that too because they make most of the components that go inside their phones, others are mostly hit & miss.


    All in all at the top end no phone is better or worse than the IPhone or Galaxy S & Note series.
    Last edited by R0H1T; 13th September 2017 at 18:28.

  60. #60
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    822
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    It is too hard for your mind, give it a rest. I posted it for the benefit of other posters.
    before copy pasting tables learn to understand them

    samsung sells way too many models ranging from $50 to $700

    since it caters to all markets its market share is obviously going to be greater than apple who don't sell low budget ios devices

    check the market share of iphone 7 and s8 and the iphone 7 blows s8 out of the water

    you may be an engineer but clearly you don't know anything about business and mobile tech
    Last edited by Muhammad10; 13th September 2017 at 18:32.


    "To Became A Good Player, You Need Talent. To Became A Great Player You Need An Attitude Like Kohli" - Sunil Gavaskar

  61. #61
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    29,746
    Mentioned
    814 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    that is simply because of ios and how well it is integrated

    the only android that is as smooth as the ios is the google phone and it is obvious why. it has the cleanest version of android and it has not been customized for third party like samsung,htc,motorola etc
    I heard my friends say the same thing a couple of years back.


    I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

  62. #62
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    2,209
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  55.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    what does this tell you?
    While the table shows Apple losing market share, that is not the most important number. The most important number is Apple's stock price, because, believe me, analysts who spend their entire day thinking about this are better than us in understanding this issue.

    Apple's share price rose from $110 to $143 from Q1 2016 to Q1 2017 while its market share was falling. Why?

    Because, as the smartphone industry grows, the lower end is growing faster and also becoming increasingly commoditized. And that is the not segment Apple plays in.

    While an Apple customer is worth less than $5,000 in profits over his lifetime, for a commoditized smartphone maker the customer is worth less than $1,000.

    As long as Apple keeps its image of sleek, cool and fashionable, its market cap will stay in the stratosphere.

  63. #63
    Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    12,636
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sometimes old technology is best:

    In Key West, no cell phones are working after Hurricane Irma's devastation. Some landlines are still intact, but even landline phones can't be used as there's no electricity!

    However:

    Not all communication technology has failed. Some land lines — the few that are left anyway — survived intact in Key West.

    On Simonton Street in Key West, word soon got out about a woman named Patricia, whose $13 old-fashioned phone was still working. For years, neighbors have gently ribbed her for keeping the line and shunning cell service.

    But since the storm, Key West firefighters and neighbors have been streaming to her home to call loved ones around the country. A Herald reporter even used her phone to dictate storm coverage hours after the eye passed over the Keys.

    http://oianews.com/with-no-word-from...o-social-media


    “In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule”

  64. #64
    Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    113
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still using 200$ Galaxy J5. Its crazy to buy any phone crossing 500$ let alone 900-100$. We people are responsible for letting these company rule with such prices. A single boycott will put them back to place. Because of bigger companies, even smaller ones are now maxing 500$ phones to cash things out.
    Last edited by Muhammad10; 14th September 2017 at 15:46.

  65. #65
    Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    5,895
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Personally, I go for Apple first, I like their hardware and software better than others. Also, I trust them more than Google/Amazon/Facebook with my personal data, there main game is selling hardware not personal info, where as others have different business model, Ad is main source of their revenue...

    Keep in mind Apple products are not that expensive if you look at long term cost. New iPhone costs $700 but you can sell the iPhone even after 2 years for $300/400s, I recycle them after every two years, I sell the old ones at $350/400...Cost of the phone is $300 for 2 years, which is probably same, if not less for most Android phone...You get much better quality and experience, not to mention a security device

    Same goes for Macs, their resale value is great, not to mention they lasts much longer...I still have my iMac 27" from 2010, I added SSD two years ago, extra RAM couples of years before. It still runs great, again quality of display is such that, after 7 years, it is still sharp and crisp... I have never bought an Laptop for my self, you get that from job, Desktop for home works better and for me iMac is the main choice...
    Last edited by yasir; 14th September 2017 at 14:44.


    If you want to do things that are certain to succeed, you are doing very obvious thing - E Musk

  66. #66
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    21,766
    Mentioned
    4149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    Apple has grabbed the image of being cool in the minds of the Western consumers. And that image is going to propel it to being the first company in the world with a market capitalization of over $1T. Does someone in a New York art gallery or a Dallas real estate office want to be seen with a Samsung rather than an iPhone? These things are not determined by technical specs, but rather by brand image.



    While the Samsung phone is very nice, the iPhone customer segment is not very price sensitive. That is the reason why Apple's market cap is $820B, while Samsung's is only $305B, even though Samsung produces many things other than smartphones.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=sams...utf-8&oe=utf-8

    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/AAPL?p=AAPL
    I wouldn't necessarily say that iPhone's are mostly popular amongst the corporate elite, art gallery / dallas chimpanzee etc there are folk who are not all wealthy that will spend close to a grand for the latest iPhone; apple fans in general are not price sensitive regardless of how much they earn. My girlfriend is a big fan of their products and most women I know in general to be honest, iPhone is a very female friendly product Being pioneers I agree that their brand is a bigger draw then any other product out there, so even if their tech is inferior or overly priced folk will buy it due to the superficial reasons you've stated.

    I've only ever owned a 3gs but it was given to me as a gift, it was alright; since then have owned an s4. Did not have reliability issues with either phones. Longevity seems to be one of the pivotal reasons for purchasing an apple product but is an s8 really going to die out sooner and how long do folk even plan on keeping their smartphone, I really don't think an s8 would die within 3 years and I probably would get a new phone after that time frame anyway. Folk who intend on keeping their iPhone for more then 3 years will need to in order to justify their £1000 investment but there's always the temptation to buy a new smartphone. I think that both products at their best are fairly evenly matched whilst one is over priced due to their brand / being a pioneer and the other a lot more reasonable (I know it's insulting to use that word in any case).


    Ah, so this is what it feels like

  67. #67
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    7,702
    Mentioned
    1666 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Flagship phones are way to expensive.
    I tend to avoid cutting edge stuff , whether its phone or computer. Mid range stuff tend to offer much better price to performance ratio.
    Xaomi Note 4 is good example of budget phones.


    Aaj ka kaam kal karo, Kal ka kaam parson. Aisi bhi jaldi kya hai, Jab jeena hai barson.

  68. #68
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    21,766
    Mentioned
    4149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Sometimes old technology is best:

    In Key West, no cell phones are working after Hurricane Irma's devastation. Some landlines are still intact, but even landline phones can't be used as there's no electricity!

    However:

    Not all communication technology has failed. Some land lines — the few that are left anyway — survived intact in Key West.
    I was disappointed when I found out that the Nokia 3310 was going to be released again but not in its original form loved that phone, god knows how I lost it. Was a big fan of Nokia, how the mighty have fallen. Don't think they have a product out there which has the potential to compete with Samsung or Apple.


    Ah, so this is what it feels like

  69. #69
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    2,322
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mobile is about 9 or 10 years old, does not do anything 'smart' - like hoovering, cooking or washing - but does permit me to do the very basics, like receive and make calls, text messages. Family disapprove of my unwillingness to 'update' or 'upgrade' - whatever the fancy term is - my mobile, but I am willing to disown them in my determination to keep my phone, which is in excellent working order.

  70. #70
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    21,766
    Mentioned
    4149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Does anyone read TechRadar ? they are very knowledgeable bunch, enjoy reading their reviews. Anyone who wants to buy a phone regardless of their budget should check them out, they tend to give a very objective account whilst providing the pros and cons. Right now the s8 is at no.1 in their rankings, I think the X has the potential to sneak ahead for the top spot but maybe its cost will have it come in at no.2


    Ah, so this is what it feels like

  71. #71
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    9,409
    Mentioned
    1114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They have been expensive for quite a few years now.

  72. #72
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    21,766
    Mentioned
    4149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    I only changed my phone recently because my old one was stolen, it wasn't even worth much but folk in Brum are always hungry I was thinking imagine I had spent 500-1K on the phone and I had lost it or it got stolen


    Ah, so this is what it feels like

  73. #73
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    21,766
    Mentioned
    4149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebreaker View Post
    They have been expensive for quite a few years now.
    The s8 in the UK costs about £540 which is not too too bad compared to its competitors, although that is still a large amount of money


    Ah, so this is what it feels like

  74. #74
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    21,766
    Mentioned
    4149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    @R0H1T Am going to buy an iPhone when I get an IPL contract


    Ah, so this is what it feels like

  75. #75
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    7,261
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @shaz619

    You've got a better shot by selling a kidney,

    But wait it's only an iPhone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •