Venue
    Between Venus & Mars
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Apple unveils three new iPhones starting at $699

Apple unveiled three new iPhone models on Tuesday, including a top-of-line handset described as “the biggest leap forward” since the original iPhone 10 years ago.

Apple chief executive Tim Cook announced the premium iPhone X — pronounced 10 — as well as a new iPhone 8 and 8 Plus.

Cook, speaking at the first event at the new campus theatre named for the late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, said the latest flagship handset is a milestone for the company a decade after the first iPhone release.

“Ten years later it is only fitting that we are here in this place, on this day to reveal a product that will set the path for technology for the next decade,” Cook said, calling the iPhone X “the biggest leap forward since the original iPhone.”

The iPhone X has an edge-to-edge screen 5.8 inch and uses facial recognition to unlock the device, and improved “super retina” display with improved graphics and resolution.

The new flagship device will be available November 3 at a starting price of $999, while the iPhone 8 and 8Plus will be available later this month starting at $699 and $799, respectively.

All three new phones will offer wireless charging using the Qi global standard.

Apple senior vice president Phil Schiller said the glass-body iPhone 8 and 8 Plus handsets were the first smartphones “really created for augmented reality,” with improved power and graphics over their predecessors.

Apple also unveiled an updated smartwatch and an upgraded streaming video system for 4K high-definition television.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1357230/ap...tarting-at-699

" Don't wait. The time will never be just right "

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Between Venus & Mars
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So, iphone X will start from well over 100,000 rupees , don't know how much more its other variants would cost.

" Don't wait. The time will never be just right "

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dûr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It's gonna cost 83,000 in India.
    Boy that's a lot of money for a cellphone.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Wow

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1044 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    $1000 for basically what all other manufacturers have been doing for best part of a year and for alot cheaper.

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I bet Apple didn't take this into consideration.....

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Cairo, Egypt
    Runs
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Instagram!

Please also follow PakPassion Sport!

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    $1000 for basically what all other manufacturers have been doing for best part of a year and for alot cheaper.

They lean on their operating system and brand.

Can't blame them.

I was huge on Androids. Got the S4, Note 3, and Note 4. But they all broke down quickly. The iPhone 7 has been a breeze in comparison.

Their customer service is brilliant as well based on past experiences (iPod and MacBooks).

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You cannot compare Samsung with Apple. Its like comparing BMW with Toyota, not all vehicles are made equal...

There is a reason why Apple has premium market (top 10% of most world markets) under their Belt, not just in Phones but Macs as well...I am a huge fan of Steve Jobs, he made Computer a work of Art, that's what separate Apple from the rest...They way he integrate Art and Tech, nobody else has done that...

This tight integration works well in Consumer products...Google, Amazon, Facebook, Samsung, Microsoft are all trying to Catchup to Apple's model with little success...Apple has sold $1T worth of iPhone(if I am not mistaken), that's a difficult record to break, they still have $300Bn cash reserves...Before Apple, nobody was buying US consumer electronics, now even Japanese are crazy about Apple products...

BTW: If Apple opens it's new Campus for tourist, that will attract most tourist in Bay Area, that campus can pay for itself in a decade or so

If you want to do things that are certain to succeed, you are doing very obvious thing - E Musk

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Heard they messed up with the face lock launch live, lol shows the company isn't as good as it used to be.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iphone wipes the floor with other devices when it comes to quality, smoothness, stability and longevity. samsung, htc etc pack a lot of features but the difference in quality between iphones and their phones is massive

secondly it appears to be very expensive at $1000 but if you break it down

it is a device that you will use a lot more than any other device. probably 5-6 hrs a day

assuming that you will use the phone for one year only before upgrading the cost of the iphone x roughly translated to $3 per day

it is dirt cheap for someone who can afford to pay for smartphones

"To Became A Good Player, You Need Talent. To Became A Great Player You Need An Attitude Like Kohli" - Sunil Gavaskar

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    822 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingusama92 View Post

Can't blame them.

I was huge on Androids. Got the S4, Note 3, and Note 4. But they all broke down quickly. The iPhone 7 has been a breeze in comparison.

Their customer service is brilliant as well based on past experiences (iPod and MacBooks).
    I have always been curious about that.

All the big mobile companies are billion dollar giants with their own research and development team but none of the them except for Apple, make devices that really last long.

How come Apple manages to deliver such stellar products that last long while others don't? Even if the other companies woo some of the top Apple talents, won't that result in marked improvement in the quality of their products?

I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1044 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Samsung has had facial recognition since the S4 or S5, but now that Apple does it the iphone sheeple are like "wow revolutionary".

Same with wireless charging Samsung and others have been doing it for several years now, but Apple finally does it "Wow revolutionary".

Apple used to be renowned for their camera and undoubtedly had the best camera/photo output, but now Google and Samsung both have better cameras and better quality image production.

Apple definitely has a market amongst people who want a smartphone that isn't very "smart" and is more of a status symbol and that's fine too but calling this over-priced brick "the best smartphone out there" is a massive joke.

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't blame them.

HTCs and other manufactures do release iPhone like metallic androids.
    I am using a 200$ Galaxy J5 for past 2 years between, still going strong.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Samsung has had facial recognition since the S4 or S5, but now that Apple does it the iphone sheeple are like "wow revolutionary".

Same with wireless charging Samsung and others have been doing it for several years now, but Apple finally does it "Wow revolutionary".

Apple used to be renowned for their camera and undoubtedly had the best camera/photo output, but now Google and Samsung both have better cameras and better quality image production.

Apple definitely has a market amongst people who want a smartphone that isn't very "smart" and is more of a status symbol and that's fine too but calling this over-priced brick "the best smartphone out there" is a massive joke.
    I agree with everything else, but Apple is taking facial recognition very seriously with sensors and stuff making sure that it cant be cheated with ease.

Though I still believe that charing 600-1000$ for just a phone is **.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post

All the big mobile companies are billion dollar giants with their own research and development team but none of the them except for Apple, make devices that really last long.

How come Apple manages to deliver such stellar products that last long while others don't? Even if the other companies woo some of the top Apple talents, won't that result in marked improvement in the quality of their products?
    They don't. They only use proper material in build which everyone else is catching now. Rest is under-powered hardware saved by hardware-optimized OS.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    iphone wipes the floor with other devices when it comes to quality, smoothness, stability and longevity. samsung, htc etc pack a lot of features but the difference in quality between iphones and their phones is massive

secondly it appears to be very expensive at $1000 but if you break it down

it is a device that you will use a lot more than any other device. probably 5-6 hrs a day

assuming that you will use the phone for one year only before upgrading the cost of the iphone x roughly translated to $3 per day

it is dirt cheap for someone who can afford to pay for smartphones
    I haved used 400$ N95 for 5 years in Pakistan, 1000$ is no excuse. Its only a trick to monopolize tech market. Now because of them cheap players like Samsung, Huawei and Xiaomi are also going high. Google who had a lesser-priced Nexus series is also cashing it big now.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on what you deem as last long, in terms of wear & tear they are right up there with the best. Though it always depends on how you take care of your mobile, so the obligatory YMWV.

In terms of software, the Android world relies on Google to do the dirty work for them, Apple has full control over it's app store, developers & hardware plus iOS. Here again they use planned obsolesce to force buyer into getting a new iPhone, they always equip them with as little RAM as possible. As a result your iPhone X (it'll turn out the way of Mac OS X, in terms oh how it's spelled) might be the superlatively fast 3 years from now but with very little RAM most of your apps will crash & you won;t be able to watch that 4K cat videos either!
    Quote Originally Posted by maxamax View Post
    They don't. They only use proper material in build which everyone else is catching now. Rest is under-powered hardware saved by hardware-optimized OS.
    That;s stupidly wrong, the Ax SoC are the fastest in the world. In that TDP range they;re better than the best Core M Intel makes. The only think they lack is enough RAM, that;s a feature by Apple, for their loyal fans.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haved used 400$ N95 for 5 years in Pakistan, 1000$ is no excuse. Its only a trick to monopolize tech market. Now because of them cheap players like Samsung, Huawei and Xiaomi are also going high. Google who had a lesser-priced Nexus series is also cashing it big now.
    n95 was released in 2006

this is 2007. what was the price of a pizza in 2006 compared to 2017?

things get expensive. iphone in 2030 will probably be for $2000 but that won't make it over priced or expensive

"To Became A Good Player, You Need Talent. To Became A Great Player You Need An Attitude Like Kohli" - Sunil Gavaskar

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol at people here, apple uses some opensource operating system, their operating system isn't original lool

"Be the best version of yourself"

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Looks like they're copying Windows: 7, 8 and then directly to 10.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Looks like they're copying Windows: 7, 8 and then directly to 10.
    it is iphone's 10th anniversary that is why they jumped directly to 10

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    lol at people here, apple uses some opensource operating system, their operating system isn't original lool
    wrong information

ios is not open source. it is completely owned and produced by apple and that is why iphone is the smoothest and most stable smartphone.

you have a great talent for passing false information with great confidence. similar to how you talk about life in pakistan when you have little clue about it.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wrong information

ios is not open source. it is completely owned and produced by apple and that is why iphone is the smoothest and most stable smartphone.

you have a great talent for passing false information with great confidence. similar to how you talk about life in pakistan when you have little clue about it.
    I think you can cut them some slack, this is not a technical forum & lot of innuendo that flies on gsmarena, android police et al gets repeated here.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0H1T View Post
    I think you can cut them some slack, this is not a technical forum & lot of innuendo that flies on gsmarena, android police et al gets repeated here.
    i understand that but i find it ridiculous when people pass false information when all it takes is a little research. why talk about something when you don't know the basics?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    822 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    It depends on what you deem as last long, in terms of wear & tear they are right up there with the best. Though it always depends on how you take care of your mobile, so the obligatory YMWV.

In terms of software, the Android world relies on Google to do the dirty work for them, Apple has full control over it's app store, developers & hardware plus iOS. Here again they use planned obsolesce to force buyer into getting a new iPhone, they always equip them with as little RAM as possible. As a result your iPhone X (it'll turn out the way of Mac OS X, in terms oh how it's spelled) might be the superlatively fast 3 years from now but with very little RAM most of your apps will crash & you won;t be able to watch that 4K cat videos either!That;s stupidly wrong, the Ax SoC are the fastest in the world. In that TDP range they;re better than the best Core M Intel makes. The only think they lack is enough RAM, that;s a feature by Apple, for their loyal fans.
    Thanks.

So they intentionally limit RAM which would crash most of your apps. Then by that token, Apple devices shouldn't last long no? I think I am missing something here.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.

So they intentionally limit RAM which would crash most of your apps. Then by that token, Apple devices shouldn't last long no? I think I am missing something here.
    AFAIK iOS apps don;t require as much memory to run as Android apps do. Also memory management is better in iOS as compared to Android, the problem with Android these days is that we have 8GB RAM phones so a lot of app developers aren;t doing better memory management, fixing memory leaks, doing performance optimization at al.

With iOS you don;t really get unoptimized apps, I mean sure there are some, but the Ax SoC is at least 2x better in ST performance that it's nearest competitor.

This is from personal experience & what I've learnt from sources, I'm not an app developer, my specialization is x86 hardware.

The hardware part is well documented & you can search it in the right places.
    Last edited by R0H1T; 13th September 2017 at 19:50.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ax SoC is at least 2x better in ST performance that it's nearest competitor
    What this means is that on an iOS device you will run out of memory long before you run out of CPU or GPU grunt.

In case of Android, a lot of optimizations are left on the table because the skinned custom OS makes even the best flagship phones doggedly slow after a few years. In comparison to Apple, the OS updates may also stop after just a year or two, barring the likes of Sammy.
    Last edited by R0H1T; 13th September 2017 at 19:57.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1044 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So what I gather from this thread is the only benefit of an Iphone is that they last longer and are supposedly "cooler" and that justifies the extra $300-400 price tag

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what I gather from this thread is the only benefit of an Iphone is that they last longer and are supposedly "cooler" and justifies the extra $300-400 price tag
    That depends on your usage, it really does, your 8GB RAM 1+5 can easily last a decade if you take good care of it

No the price is not justified, that's what most of us Apple users tell ourselves

I have both Android & Apple at home, so I'm not loyal to either.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think my experience with Apple is very similar to most Apple users.

Most people in this world earning dollar 5 figures are too busy to pay attention to specs. They want a phone which will be reliable, fashionable and useful.

I used to use Windows but then switched to Macbook. The improvement in performance was fantastic. No more constant viruses and crashes. That made me believe in Apple quality, and that perception carried over to smartphones.

While Android is likely a great OS, it is also fragmented which lowers its reliability. It is possible that Android is actually as reliable as Apple, but reliability is a non-issue as Apple is pretty solid when it comes to reliability.

What about performance? The apps/features I use most frequently are email, camera, videos, messaging, facetime, orbitz, safari, weather and music. The iPhone delivers solid performance for every one of these. So I have no reason to switch to an Android.

Does the $200 difference in price matter to me? Given that fact that I do so many different things with my phone, and I will keep my phone for four years or more, this price difference is a non-issue. I am not going to risk switching to Android when I have had a very good experience with an iPhone.
    Last edited by Napa; 13th September 2017 at 20:23.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    n95 was released in 2006

this is 2007. what was the price of a pizza in 2006 compared to 2017?

things get expensive. iphone in 2030 will probably be for $2000 but that won't make it over priced or expensive
    Tech should be cheaper. Even pizza is not more than 10% of its price.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In terms of software, the Android world relies on Google to do the dirty work for them, Apple has full control over it's app store, developers & hardware plus iOS. Here again they use planned obsolesce to force buyer into getting a new iPhone, they always equip them with as little RAM as possible. As a result your iPhone X (it'll turn out the way of Mac OS X, in terms oh how it's spelled) might be the superlatively fast 3 years from now but with very little RAM most of your apps will crash & you won;t be able to watch that 4K cat videos either!That;s stupidly wrong, the Ax SoC are the fastest in the world. In that TDP range they;re better than the best Core M Intel makes. The only think they lack is enough RAM, that;s a feature by Apple, for their loyal fans.
    Who buys core M?
    And if you consider benchmarks as the standard then Huawei's own Kirin is the second fastest according to same scores. Would you still count those? Its about performing on the day and apple is sabed much because of its os.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who buys core M?
    And if you consider benchmarks as the standard then Huawei's own Kirin is the second fastest according to same scores. Would you still count those? Its about performing on the day and apple is sabed much because of its os.
    What do you mean who buys core m? You don;t know where core m is used? As for second fastest, core m is the second fastest according to benches, I assume you're talking about geekbench. If only mobile SoC then that goes to Snapdragon, we'll see if the latest Mongoose cores are faster than the best QC has to offer.

You don't know much about Apple do you? They've now also designed their own GPU, in terms of CPU/GPU development (not speed) they are now only behind QC, that too because the latter uses Radeon mGPU tech from the last decade. Kirin uses off the shelf ARM CPU/GPU which many other vendors have done in the past.
    Last edited by R0H1T; 14th September 2017 at 04:27.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean who buys core m? You don;t know where core m is used? As for second fastest, core m is the second fastest according to benches, I assume you're talking about geekbench. If only mobile SoC then that goes to Snapdragon, we'll see if the latest Mongoose cores are faster than the best QC has to offer.

You don't know much about Apple do you? They've now also designed their own GPU, in terms of CPU/GPU development (not speed) they are now only behind QC, that too because the latter uses Radeon mGPU tech from the last decade. Kirin uses off the shelf ARM CPU/GPU which many other vendors have done in the past.
    I mean how many devices in you see in your daily lives are powered by Core M? Apart from Folio and Shebaz Sharif's Haier tab-cum-laptops, I am yet to see that being used in a popular device. Its too heavy for mobile and too dumb for a laptop.

and yes I've seen their CPUs. The problem is that there's no specific unit to measure a processor's performance. Benchmarks are never giving true picture (not just geekbench, most of them combined). When you're running a thing faster on apple processor, its because its OS is much optimized. Its not like anyone is separating the processor from device and throwing instructions directly on the chip. Even if they do it, both A10 and Snapdragon (Not counting Kirin as the leader) can not be compared as they decode and execute instructions in a very different way. Similarly, even a same application running on both devices can never measure the processing capabilities equally. What I am saying is an estimated guess after seeing the performance of both processors over-time. Apple is saved (or reflected as a faster processor) due to its dumb OS. For example, If you've opened a menu, it will open in iOS, nothing more or less. But if you do same in android phone, it will open couple of other processes along visible menu. Its like handing couple of bags to someone instead of one. Now if a 'processor' does it *better* than the other one, it wont mean that the processors are great. They are good, but not as much as they're being portrayed. If someone can optimize a specific OS for snapdragon, that phone can kick apple out by a wide margin. Even Apple's parallel execution is horrible, but they're saved by the fact that most apps use the first available core most of the times.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I wish I knew.

Utter disaster especially my Note 4. Paid full price and it lasted 7 months or so.

Another thing I've noticed is the iPhone doesn't diminish in performance over time. Samsung's devices start to show their age quickly becoming sluggish and hard to use.

I'm not sure about other Android devices but Samsung definitely has this issue. Happened across three different devices in my case.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tech should be cheaper. Even pizza is not more than 10% of its price.
    R&D is costly

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    822 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    I wish I knew.

Utter disaster especially my Note 4. Paid full price and it lasted 7 months or so.

Another thing I've noticed is the iPhone doesn't diminish in performance over time. Samsung's devices start to show their age quickly becoming sluggish and hard to use.

I'm not sure about other Android devices but Samsung definitely has this issue. Happened across three different devices in my case.
    My dad used to have premium Samsung phones back in the days and it would always breakdown within a year or two after slowing down.

I honestly don't understand why would anyone fork out good money to buy a flagship Samsung mobile? Why not buy an Apple instead? Is it because of the extra features?

The Google Nexus series is great from what I hear if one wants to remain in the Android world.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R&D is costly
    Unless they're sitting on moon worshiping satan, its never that costly. I've worked for image-processing research company, there was hardly any cost involved apart from the regular chai-pani and office stuff.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad used to have premium Samsung phones back in the days and it would always breakdown within a year or two after slowing down.

I honestly don't understand why would anyone fork out good money to buy a flagship Samsung mobile? Why not buy an Apple instead? Is it because of the extra features?

The Google Nexus series is great from what I hear if one wants to remain in the Android world.
    Using Samsung for ages. Never broke down, guess you pick the wrong models.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless they're sitting on moon worshiping satan, its never that costly. I've worked for image-processing research company, there was hardly any cost involved apart from the regular chai-pani and office stuff.
    image processing and producing smartphones is not the same especially when competition is so high

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1099 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    So what I gather from this thread is the only benefit of an Iphone is that they last longer and are supposedly "cooler" and that justifies the extra $300-400 price tag
    if a product is lasting longer then technically it is paying for the extra price tag.

I had a Smsung S4 and it started having problems and was slowing down within 8 months and after about 18-20 months I had to stop using it

Then I bought an iPhone 6 and I am still using it. And honestly there is very minimal drop in performance.

In a year S4 had slowed down considerably to the point of annoyance and my iPhone after 2.5 years is still doing well. Only issue I have faced is the memory in recent months cuz I just bought 32 gb and eventually it got full. Though theres a lot of crap i can delete

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apple’s newest operating system for iPhones and iPads introduces changes to its marketplace for third-party software to satisfy app developers and add new so-called augmented reality apps.

The system, called iOS 11, is being released on Tuesday ahead of its two newest phone handsets, the iPhone 8 and iPhone X, set to start shipping to customers on Friday and Nov 3, respectively.

The most visible changes will come to App Store. The App Store is the backbone of Apple’s services segment, which brought in $21.5 billion in revenue in the past nine months, a 19 per cent increase over the previous year and a bright spot as overall sales grew only 5 per cent.

The store has been redesigned to give app developers more space for images and text to describe their software. Developers have long grumbled that their software is hard to find in Apple’s store unless users type in the precise name of the app or follow a link to it.

“The redesign make it much cleaner and speaks to the pain point of the store: You had so many apps that if you didn’t know exactly what you were looking for, it was really hard to find anything,” said Carolina Milanesi, an analyst with Creative Strategies.

The new store also gives prominent display to games. Games are expected to make up 75 per cent of all revenue for Apple’s App Store, according to App Annie, which collects and analyzes market data on mobile apps.

Most of that revenue comes in the form of so-called in-app purchases, where gamers make purchases of tokens, gems and other digital items to unlock new parts of the game. “It’s really the gift that keep on giving from the developer perspective,” Milanesi said.

But perhaps the biggest change in iOS 11 will the debut of augmented reality apps, or AR, in which digital images float over the real word. Apple has made much of those a capabilities, but an ostensibly minor feature may help AR apps spread: Screen recording.

iPhone 8’s 3D facial recognition feature will recognise you in ‘millionths of a second’

In testing, Adam Debreczeni, maker of an app that lets users see a three-dimensional map of a fitness activity like a bicycle ride or run they’ve gone on, was surprised at how enthusiastically users took to sharing screen recordings of AR apps like his.

“I think that’s going to help AR games go viral and get better distribution,” he said.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1510584...mps-app-store/