User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

Najam Sethi says there will be tours by World XI to Pakistan in 2018 and 2019 [ICC deny Post#19]

http://m.wisdenindia.com/full-story....ews&id=269042&

Najam Sethi, the Pakistan Cricket Board chairman, announced on Wednesday (September 13) that there will be more tours by World XIs to Pakistan in the next two years, leading to a gradual revival of international cricket in the country.

Pakistan had only hosted Zimbabwe since the 2009 terrorist attack on the Sri Lankan team bus suspended international cricket in the country.

Security fears with militants disturbing the peace at regular intervals had forced foreign teams to stay away from Pakistan. The PCB did try to convince Bangladesh but failed twice, and Windies and Ireland too refused to tour on one occasion each.

Sethi said the perceptions were changing. “A few years back, teams were reluctant to come to Pakistan over security fears but with successful military operations, we have seen that 90-95% terrorism has abated,” Sethi told Wisden India. “So perceptions have changed and we hope for gradual revival of international cricket.”

Sethi said help from the International Cricket Council and from Giles Clarke, the head of the Pakistan Task Force, had paved the way for more tours by World XIs.

“We will have tours by World XIs in 2018 and then 2019 and this will gradually help us restore the confidence of other teams and countries,” said Sethi.

The PCB are also hopeful of Sri Lanka returning to Pakistan to play a Twenty20 International in Lahore on October 29, at the end of their full series in the UAE.

They also hope Windies will agree to three Twenty20 Internationals in November which will help them approach a bigger team — likely to be South Africa — to tour in the next two years.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hope next World tour is that of an ODI series, and in multiple locations.

That would restore much of the lost confidence.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1036 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All in Lahore.

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    All in Lahore.

Still better than nothing, at least he's getting some international cricket in pakistan instead of repeating the word tailunt again and again

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1036 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToeCrusher2 View Post
    Still better than nothing, at least he's getting some international cricket in pakistan instead of repeating the word tailunt again and again
    He will be fired from his job in 2018.

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    All in Lahore.

holding matches in lahore is better than in dubai.
    but i think PSL matches in karachi will pave way for cricket in coastal city.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Management opens their mouth way too much. When real tours/schedules need to be announced early no one does. Mr Sethi just wants to be in the media light.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not too sure about this. It could be a good thing but I would have thought that after this tour, teams like SL and WI can visit (that's already planned) and then later maybe the likes of SA and perhaps NZ. The big three are still far off.

The World XI series has been a great way to kick-start the return of international cricket but annual series for three years seems to be a pointless endeavour.

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way...

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Not too sure about this. It could be a good thing but I would have thought that after this tour, teams like SL and WI can visit (that's already planned) and then later maybe the likes of SA and perhaps NZ. The big three are still far off.

The World XI series has been a great way to kick-start the return of international cricket but annual series for three years seems to be a pointless endeavour.

I agree. This tour is great, but I dont see the point of doing this (and spending all this money) for 2 more years.

All the resources should be focused on trying to get Aus / NZ / Eng / SF after the SL and WI series

'I was shivering facing Akhtar' -Tendulkar

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No sure how everyone feels but I'm not feeling the same emotions as I do when we play against another nation.

Kudos for the world Xii coming to Pakistan and yes it's good step towards bringing cricket back but games against a world eleven feel meaningless even if there are ranking points at stake.

If you can organise security for a squad of 16 and their entourage then why not for an Aussie team or another national team?

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If World Eleven keeps coming again and again then when will regular teams visit? After this tour, the International teams should be visiting Pakistan instead of World Eleven teams.

Is Sethi giving hints that International Cricket might still not return to Pakistan and hence we would need to invite World Eleven team for a few more times to win the trust of the World?

Because if an International Team comes for a full tour and the Series is hosted without any problems, then what is the need of World Eleven teams anymore?

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope that isn't needed after the windies series ")

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To the people saying that it's time for an international XI to come, it's going to take time. A huge amount of damage was done to Pakistan's image from the Sri Lanka attacks and the subsequent period of turmoil; 1-2 years of World XI cricket will be needed prior to jumping to regular tours. It's much better to ease into it than plunge into it and risk getting turned down by teams like Bangladesh.

"I tried to count the stars while in bed. To keep the thoughts of monsters from my head."

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what would happen if next time around PCB do not offer the monetary incentives to players to visit Pakistan. We would get to see if players are willing to take risk or not.

But i sure hope gradually Pakistan manages to get teams play in their homeland.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    World XI visit to pave the way for profitable international series in future: Sethi

LAHORE: While disclosing that the ongoing Independence Cup would not be a profitable venture, Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Najam Sethi on Wednesday said the activity was the first step towards reviving international cricket which would help gradually improve PCB’s finances in future contests.

“Yes, the PCB will lose money in holding this Independence Cup. Currently, we face several problems and one of the major ones concerns finance. However after the Independence Cup, when we in phases start holding international matches in Karachi and other centres, the country will be able to host full series with matches staged in all the cities, and this will improve our financial position,” Sethi said while addressing a news conference alongside ICC chief executive Dave Richardson ahead of the second T20 between Pakistan and the ICC World XI at the Gaddafi Stadium here on Wednesday.

The PCB over the years could not earn any money while hosting the home series at neutral venues of the UAE; rather it increased the financial problems of the Board, Sethi lamented.

According to some media reports, the PCB is spending US$2.5-3 million for staging the three-match Independence Cup against World XI. The reports also say that the PCB is handing out approximately $100,000 to each player in the World XI squad while the rest of the amount will be going for logistics.

Commenting on the ongoing Independence Cup, the PCB chief admitted that watertight security measures -- delaying the arrival of many fans looking to enter the Gaddafi Stadium -- along with high-priced tickets somehow prevented the venue from getting filled to capacity.

However, the PCB chairman commended the efforts made by the security agencies and Punjab government for providing top-notch security for safely conducting the Independence Cup.

“The PCB made a mistake by introducing high-priced tickets for the Independence Cup but the prices will be reduced for future series,” conceded Sethi.

He revealed that the PCB would try to host a full member team by next year a Test series in Pakistan.

“The magnificent victory in the ICC Champions Trophy [in June this year] coupled with the Test team’s top ranking [for a brief period last year] lifted our cricket to a new level and now the world [teams] want to play series with Pakistan,” he said.

Without naming India, Sethi said the countries which were not realising the significance of playing with Pakistan would damage their own cricket.

Sethi said the PCB had invited Pakistan’s former greats to watch the Independence Cup matches, adding those who came were welcomed while those who did not it was their decision.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1357506/wo...n-future-sethi

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    everyone who is crying about lahore getting all the matches should not forget that karachi will also host matches in psl 3.

that will allow them to host matches in the future and eventually other cities will get matches too

unfortunately these crybabies will then find something new to cry about

the problem here is their agenda against sethi and nothing else

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Almere, Netherlands
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Sethi said is not true.
    David Richardson the ICC executive said : The ICC had agreed to invest in security for a 3 year periode
    And
    Whether year 2 and 3 include a World XI tour is not decided yet.

I guess Sethi go a bit too excited
    Last edited by Amirforpresident; 14th September 2017 at 09:42.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post

Agreed with you there. I feel like this World XI series is a way to show Pakistan is safe to host cricket. If the Sri Lanka series and then the WI series are successful I don't think more World XI series will be necessary. But even if they do happen, I guess it will just further prove Pakistan is safe so it's a win win situation anyway

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It hasn't been decided yet that World XI will tour Pakistan over the next two years: ICC

International Cricket Council (ICC) Chief Executive David Richardson said that there was no decision regarding the tour of the World XI to Pakistan for the last two years, but that ICC would try and gets teams of ICC member countries to tour Pakistan.

David Richardson said this in the context of the statement of Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Najam Sethi in which he said that World XI will visit Pakistan for the next two years.

http://www.bbc.com/urdu/sport-41261718

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Manitoba
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was it really a succesful hosting of cricket series?

Usually at the venue local businesses are supposed to thrive . However as per news , businesses in the nearby markets, including Hafeez Centre and Liberty, were

closed, at a cost to their owners. Some of the educational institutes in the area around Gaddafi stadium were closed. What if it was during exam dates?
    Dawn also reported that marriage halls, hotels and guest houses in the vicinity have been told not to entertain guests or hold any function for the week.The

business community had to make a particularly heavy contribution for the return of cricket by facing almost a week-long closure — individual shops and centres along

the Gulberg Main Boulevard were made to pull their shutters down for a week.Offices in the neighbourhood, were told to shut down for next four days, regardless of

the nature of their business, said an affected businessman. He had to relocate his offices with 150 employees to avoid suspension of his work.

A sports series itself should be profitable, but reportedly 100k was provided to each player to particiapte. Not to mention a huge amount of $$$ spent on security.
    For a week long T20 series, the security cost might be acceptable but what happens when a 3 test match with ODIs series is held? Security budget will be reduced and eventually this will lead to security loopholes. Or will the businesses , offices, educational institutes closed for a month??

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mp812rediff View Post

Usually at the venue local businesses are supposed to thrive . However as per news , businesses in the nearby markets, including Hafeez Centre and Liberty, were

closed, at a cost to their owners. Some of the educational institutes in the area around Gaddafi stadium were closed. What if it was during exam dates?
    Dawn also reported that marriage halls, hotels and guest houses in the vicinity have been told not to entertain guests or hold any function for the week.The

business community had to make a particularly heavy contribution for the return of cricket by facing almost a week-long closure — individual shops and centres along

the Gulberg Main Boulevard were made to pull their shutters down for a week.Offices in the neighbourhood, were told to shut down for next four days, regardless of

the nature of their business, said an affected businessman. He had to relocate his offices with 150 employees to avoid suspension of his work.

A sports series itself should be profitable, but reportedly 100k was provided to each player to particiapte. Not to mention a huge amount of $$$ spent on security.
    For a week long T20 series, the security cost might be acceptable but what happens when a 3 test match with ODIs series is held? Security budget will be reduced and eventually this will lead to security loopholes. Or will the businesses , offices, educational institutes closed for a month??
    Such precautions are necessary.

Look those business will be there all year. Cricket in pakistan wont be here for a long time if we dont do this strict security now.

After we get teams to pakistan, we could reduce security

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Such precautions are necessary.

Look those business will be there all year. Cricket in pakistan wont be here for a long time if we dont do this strict security now.

After we get teams to pakistan, we could reduce security
    Wrong approach.

After the mindset and inclination of people towards trying to kill others to spread terror is reduced, then you can reduce security.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mp812rediff View Post
    closed, at a cost to their owners.
    Short answer we are not in "usual" times- our country is at war and the recent success of the government of Pakistan is now being leveraged on to bring it back to normal situation step by step. It's not a matter of generating profit at this stage but more to send a message and pave a way for future roadmap

Supporting Pakistan Cricket team ALWAYS!!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Lets get this over with it, then PCB will have some leverage to ask others to come.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Should we invite World XI sides to Pakistan on a regular basis?

On the basis of the success of this series - should we invite a World XI team EVERY year to Pakistan?

Now I understand it is expensive but it will help to continue to raise the profile of the game in Pakistan and continue to generate huge interest.

I would say start off by doing 3 t20 games every year and then build it from there

And who knows maybe next year - we can get even more star players like ABD, Gayle, Stokes, Warner, Williamson, De Kock, Butler etc.

Several teams have hosted World XI teams before but none on a regular basis - we can be the trend setters!

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not think so. SL is coming next month for 1 or 2 t20s followed by west indies. Then i am sure South African will come as well as BD.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1036 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Only if World XIs comprise of the Kohlis, Smiths, Williamsons and Roots of the time. No offense to the players who came over to Pakistan but only some of them can be described as A-grade.

If not then inviting test nations is the best option.

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well, Sethi did say that is the plan. He said World XI sides will come to Pakistan for the next two years.

But then Dave Richardson denied that. So not quite sure what the plan really is.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Only if no other teams can be arranged to tour Pakistan.

If international teams are coming at least once a year, then World XI can be carried on if it is popular or to provide a different format for people to watch (say ODI's if the only tour is t20) but shouldn't be necessary.

The other possibility is to use a World XI tour to "prove" a different venue besides Lahore is safe for touring teams.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    It would be neat if they could afford it.

Make it a yearly event.

Something exclusive to PAK which also shows off the nation's security.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    call zimbabwe instead atleast they are competitive than lanka

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should invite World XI only if other teams refuse to tour. This way local crowd will get to see their heroes in action. Maybe next time around add ODIs and host in multiple cities.

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Dhaka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. They should try for Eng,wi to tour pak

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the future of Pakistan Cricket the idea is best and world XI must tour until all nations came on the page of secure Pakistan.

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this will be a one off thing that is supported by the ICC as they are morally obligated to. Hereafter PCB will on their own and will have to rope in one of ECB BCCI CA or CSA to send a team even if it is an A team to set the ball rolling.