User Tag List

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Suicide bomber kills three near Kabul cricket stadium: police [Update Post #34]

An explosion has been reported outside ACB office and Kabul cricket ground . There was a match in progress for on going Shpageeza league. Match seems to have been stopped. I hope there aren't any casualties. Source: Afghan media

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think the match has resumed so the explosion wasn't that big at all

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thoughts are will those present in the stadium but GOODNESS ME, DID THAT TITLE SCARE ME. I almost thought it said Lahore.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My heart sank for a second.... i was just praying its not Lahore.

One Nation, One Passion. Green team and a dream.

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wait for them to blame pakistan for it even though they are to blame themselves, silly people.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The match seems to have restarted. The security had stopped the suicide bomber at the gate ( he was on foot) and he detonated his explosives. 2 security personnel and 1 civilian killed, 20 injured.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most of the foreigners players in this league are from SA and Zimbabwe.My question is why someone in their senses would agree to go to Afghanistan?

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by princeuk View Post
    Just wait for them to blame pakistan for it even though they are to blame themselves, silly people.
    They have already started and most of the Indians as well.Indians think that Afghanistan is a peaceful country and everything bad there is due to Pakistan

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I beleive that ACB is taking a big risk in inviting foreigners for cricket matches in Afghanistan. The country is not safe yet for these leagues with foreign players.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Update: 9 people killed and 36 injured. I don't know how they could carry on playing. I think the public back home are used to it now.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFG_Brit View Post
    I beleive that ACB is taking a big risk in inviting foreigners for cricket matches in Afghanistan. The country is not safe yet for these leagues with foreign players.
    I thought the tournament was going to be hosted here in Dubai.Why did they host it in Afghanistan? Were enough security measures taken before hosting the tournament? Are there any 5 star hotels in Kabul?

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Batsmen are shaken and other players dont seem to care
    Last edited by Muhammad10; 13th September 2017 at 15:51.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebreaker View Post
    I thought the tournament was going to be hosted here in Dubai.Why did they host it in Afghanistan? Were enough security measures taken before hosting the tournament? Are there any 5 star hotels in Kabul?
    The batsmen in the pic are foreigners that is why they are scared, the fielders are afghans.

There is an inter continental hotel ( I don't know if it's 5 star) and a few more private hotels for the rich and foreigners . The hotels are secure as they have a lot of security. The plans are to hold the next season of t20 league in UAE.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be a seriously scary sight for these poor Zimbos. Ryan Burl is one of the promising talents Zimbabwe have, I hope he stays well and alive.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Madness they've continued playing.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw news on tv and came directly on pakpassion to confirm. Sad thing

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dean Jones said that blast happened fairly away from the stadium thats why they are resuming

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    The more international cricket that is played in Afghanistan and Pakistan, the sooner we will have a Munich'72 situation with terrorists murdering sportsmen.

It's insane.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    So messed that this is the norm for some people.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    The more international cricket that is played in Afghanistan and Pakistan, the sooner we will have a Munich'72 situation with terrorists murdering sportsmen.

It's insane.
    This was not an international match

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    This was not an international match
    Neither are the matches in Lahore v the "World Eleven".

The point is, if you are a terrorist, killing foreign players brings you the oxygen of publicity.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The point is, if you are a terrorist, killing foreign players brings you the oxygen of publicity.
    LOL they do have international status.Even ICC chiefs are in Lahore for that.If you remember explosion happened outside Parc des Paris as well in 2015 when the match was being played between France and Germany

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Condolences to those that have lost their lives, and those that have been injured.

Nowhere is safe, tbh.

It's easy to blame others, but it's better to refrain from name-calling and finger-pointing.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The T20s have been given the ICC stamp of a International(s).

Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Who are the foreign players in this league?

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    The T20s have been given the ICC stamp of a International(s).
    These aren;t exactly bilaterals though, which is what probably Junaid was referred to.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j_kazmi View Post
    Who are the foreign players in this league?
    Zimbabwean and handful of SA and from Associates

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0H1T View Post
    These aren;t exactly bilaterals though, which is what probably Junaid was referred to.
    Nope, Junaids suggested these current matches being played weren't Internationals. Nothing about being bilateral matches or not.

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    Nope, Junaids suggested these current matches being played weren't Internationals. Nothing about being bilateral matches or not.
    Maybe, only he can clarify that.

His point is fine though, this is like a honey pot for terrorists.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Attacking sports fans is pathetic.

RIP

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    @Junaids Should they not attempt to get international cricket back in Pakistan then? Put it this way, how are the youth to be inspired with no home cricket. If they keep things as they are you"ll see an increase in the number of 30+ aged players in the team your oldie quota would not come to fruition

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    @ RIP all the people who died, really sad the situation in afghanistan

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0H1T View Post
    Maybe, only he can clarify that.His point is fine though, this is like a honey pot for terrorists.
    No, I agree about terrorists and their agendas etc, I just don't agree upon what I replied to and what you are posting back.

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Cairo, Egypt
    Runs
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suicide bomber kills three near Kabul cricket stadium: police

A suicide bomber killed three people including a policeman and wounded five others after blowing himself up near a cricket stadium in the Afghan capital Kabul on Wednesday, police said. The attacker detonated the bomb after he was stopped at a security checkpoint as he walked towards the stadium where a match was under way.

“The security forces by sacrificing themselves have prevented the attacker from reaching the crowd (inside the stadium) and creating a catastrophe,” police spokesman Basir Mujahid told AFP. Two of the wounded were police officers.

Several ambulances were seen speeding away from the scene, apparently taking the injured to hospital, an AFP reporter said. The blast happened during a cricket match inside the stadium, Farid Hotak, a spokesman for the Afghanistan Cricket Board, told AFP. The game was briefly interrupted, Hotak said, adding “all players and cricket board officials are safe”.

http://indianexpress.com/article/wor...olice-4842245/

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Instagram!

Please also follow PakPassion Sport!

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Totally understandable if countries don't want to play sports in war zones. Very sad situation but there's more to life than cricket in countries where the population is struggling to live day to day.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

It's insane.
    and what happened after Munich 72? were all sporting events stopped in Germany indefinatley?

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sad. Condolences to loved ones of those who lost their lives

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1099 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFG_Brit View Post
    its not like in the near future there is a chance that foreigners woudl start coming so i think ACB is fine to bring whoever agrees to come

surprising delport and wan wyk went

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    779 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    I wonder what the supporters of Afghan Taliban in Pakistan and across the wider Muslim world think of this.

Sick of hearing the Afghan Taliban glorified because they "resist foreign occupiers" when the number of deaths they cause are majority civilians.

Why try to blow up people at a cricket match - is this resisting foreign occupation too ?

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why do people even support Afghan Taliban?

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have already started and most of the Indians as well.Indians think that Afghanistan is a peaceful country and everything bad there is due to Pakistan
    Sure , when Afghans were made to run by Russians , 3 million of them ended up in Pakistan and not taken by India.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peace will return to Afghanistan only when Americans and Indian will leave the country.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1418 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    FORMER test cricketer Dean Jones feared for his life when a suicide bomber blew himself up outside the gates of cricket stadium in the Afghan capital of Kabul.

The attacker detonated the bomb after he was stopped at a security checkpoint by police.

Jones was inside the commentary booth when he heard the bomb go off.

“I saw the blast go off. It shook us out of our seats,” he told 3AW.

Former Australian cricket player and commentator Dean Jones was in Kabul when a suicide bomber blew himself up outside a cricket stadium.

“The shockwaves went right throughout the grandstands and the windows ... all the players hit the ground while the game was still on.”

“I threw my microphone into the window and I just grabbed my bag and I was ready to run, to get out of there,” he said.

Jones was told he had to stay inside the stadium while they carried out safety procedures.

Jones said the players decided to finish the game after the attack.

“We could be in England, and they’ve had terrorist attacks there, but they’ve stayed on,” he said.

Three people were killed in the attack including a policeman and wounding five others, police said.

No one in the stadium was harmed.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...medium=Twitter

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why are they not cancelling this tournament? Now some SL fringe players have also joined the tournament

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan needs to get rid of RAW and the USA. Hope Allah grants some peace and prosperity to these long suffering people.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan needs to stop blaming Pakistan for all their problems and get deal with their deep rooted problems like a real man would!

"Be the best version of yourself"

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    651 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Adam Hollioake: 'I felt the noise of the bomb blast through my whole body'

Adam Hollioake thought he had seen everything in a sporting career that has covered everything from leading England to a one-day trophy, to a professional bout in mixed martial arts.

But that was before he took on a coaching role in Afghanistan's Shpageeza Cricket League, and found himself confronting the reality of daily life in Kabul. Last Wednesday, a bomb outside the Alokozay Kabul International Cricket Ground was detonated during a game between Hollioake’s Boost Defenders team and MIS Ainak Knights. Three people were killed, including the bomber, and 12 wounded. Several overseas players left soon after, but Hollioake insisted he wanted to stay.

"I decided not to walk out on the job until the job is done," he told the Daily Telegraph, from his temporary home in Afghanistan's capital city. "Also the people here have so much passion for cricket. Your first fear coming to this part of the world is security but I just did not want to walk out on them just because that would be an easy decision to make."

Hollioake is not ignoring the danger that goes hand-in-hand with life in a country still piecing itself back together after a ruinous period of civil war, but security has been stepped up after personal promises were made to the players by the country's president.

Even so, his account of the day of the explosion is still shocking. "When I heard the bang I thought it might be an incredibly loud firecracker going off but the noise after was so deep and rumbling and kept going on for such a long time that I felt it going through my whole body," he recalled.

“Straight away I thought: ‘Whoa, what was that?’ I could see the guys sprinting off the pitch. We could see where the bomb had gone off. I would say it was 75-100 metres from the changing room. You could see all the windows had been blown out. At first we were told it was a gas canister. But it became clear it was something else.

“Quite a few players went home. I weighed up a lot of things. I have quite a bit of experience in security so I waited to see what arrangements would be made going forward. I was not going to make a rushed decision and go home but by the same token I was not going to make a rash decision and stay just to try and be brave or make a stand.

"I was satisfied the security was going to be OK. Roads are now cleared and we have armoured vehicles, the path to the ground is safe and so is the ground and they have made a two-kilometre exclusion zone with checkpoints around the ground.”

As Hollioake says, "you can’t fight a bullet or a bomb", and he had to set emotion aside before deciding to stay in Kabul.

“I am not trying to be a hero here. The heroes are the security people who lost their lives. I am just processing information and felt there was no reason to not finish my job. I wanted to know the facts and make a rational decision. I was satisfied the people here were going to provide security and I was satisfied with their plans.”

That stoicism is hardly surprising. The inhabitants of the cosseted world of professional sport may often lack perspective, but that could not be said of Hollioake, who lost his younger brother and fellow England international Ben in a car crash in 2002, and saw his family's property business in Australia go bust in 2010.

Hollioake is a fighter, blessed with a steel-clad spirit. It helped him lead Surrey to three county championship titles between 1999 and 2002, England to success at the Sharjah Trophy in 1997 - their last 50-over tournament success - and then try his hand at MMA as a light heavyweight fighter. His one fight, in 2012, ended as a draw.

Now he has made a point of embracing life in Afghanistan, Test cricket’s newest outpost. The Shpageeza (it means Sixer in Pashtun) Cricket League is in its fifth season but with Afghanistan’s rise on the global stage its profile has grown this year. There are overseas players from West Indies, Zimbabwe and South Africa this time as well as foreign coaches like Hollioake, Dean Jones and Andy Moles. Until Jones approached him, Hollioake, 46, did not even know there was a Twenty20 league In Afghanistan. Now he is in the thick of it, living and breathing a colourful tournament.

“The passion of these people is unrivalled anywhere I have been," he said. "They are fanatical about their cricket. There is nothing worse than apathy and these people feel strongly about whatever it is they do. Sometimes that can be intimidating for people from other parts of the world who are not like that but I find it fascinating and exciting.

“Coming here has been an eye opener. I have been to Pakistan, India and Port Morseby (Papua New Guinea) and I have faced all sorts of different challenges so I was keen to come here for a number of reasons. One to see the place but secondly broaden my coaching knowledge.

"I would be lying if I said it had not been interesting. It is a passionate place. It probably mirrors my personality. There is not much middle ground with me and I am comfortable with the ups and downs here. I wanted experience in coaching but the idea was to come here and have life experiences too. It is what life is about.”

The star of the league is Rashid Khan, the 19-year-old who is one of the world’s leading leg spinners. He became the youngest bowler to take 100 Twenty20 wickets last week having become the first Afghani to play in the IPL. He has just signed for the Adelaide Strikers in the Big Bash. Hollioake describes him as “world-class” and thinks there is enough talent in Afghanistan to compete on the world stage. “When these guys make their international debut they will be a tough side to beat in these types of conditions.”

Hollioake’s team have reached the knock out stages which start tomorrow and the country is expected to come to a standstill for Friday’s final. After that his next job is with the Lions in Australia this winter. With so many Twenty20 leagues around the world, there are more opportunities these days for coaching and Hollioake may have found his purpose. “My fighting is over. I want to help other people compete instead,” he said. Kabul is a fitting place to do just that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2...st-whole-body/

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Calgary, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    Afghanistan needs to stop blaming Pakistan for all their problems and get deal with their deep rooted problems like a real man would!
    Pakistan is the way it is today because of all the Afghan refugees we let in, I'd be damned If I ever hear an Afghan blaming Pakistan for anything.