Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"Fans in Pakistan would have given Yuvraj Singh a fabulous reception" : Shoaib Mohammad

Leaving aside the outpouring of public emotion that has engulfed the ongoing three-match Independence Cup, some former Pakistan cricketers called for patience in terms of full bilateral series returning to their country. Former Pakistan captain Rashid Latif described the event as “very important” but spoke about going step by step.

“These three T20s between World XI and Pakistan are very important in the context of Pakistan cricket. Zimbabwe had toured two years ago, but the ICC is involved in this, with some top cricketers from almost all Test-playing nations participating. It would have been great to see two-three Indian players in the World XI, but this is the first step towards normality with regard to international cricket in Pakistan,” Latif told The Indian Express.

The ex-stumper feels it would take about a year or two for Pakistan to host full international series. “Sri Lanka are coming here in October followed by the West Indies in next month. See, this is a step by step progress. First, we had the Pakistan Super League final (earlier this year). Now three T20s are being played. Maybe, the next step is to include an ODI with three T20 internationals. Then you incorporate a Test on the roster. But it will take time. I think at the moment a full series of three T20s, three ODIs and three Tests could be a little difficult. With the gradual increase in the confidence level of international players, we will move towards a full series,” Latif observed.

Resumption of India-Pakistan bilateral series was almost an inevitable part of the conversation and Latif stressed that both the BCCI and the Pakistan Cricket Board are suffering revenue losses because of the stalemate.

“Now all the money from India-Pakistan fixtures is going to the ICC. The India-Pakistan matches at the ICC events are the biggest reasons for the global body’s $2.2 billion profit (over an eight-year cycle). If the bilateral series resumes, the two cricket boards would be the biggest gainers. Money would come to the BCCI and the PCB coffers, rather than the ICC showcasing the India-Pakistan ties and profiting substantially from cricket’s biggest rivalry. India and Pakistan not playing against each other is benefitting the ICC.”

Shoaib Mohammad concurred. About international cricket’s return to Pakistan, he said: “This is just a baby step. International players will return to their respective countries and based on their feedbacks on security and the level of comfort, the cricket boards will decide their future course of action in terms of playing in Pakistan.”

The former Pakistan opener would have loved to see Yuvraj Singh (a Punjabi) playing for the World XI in Lahore (on the Pakistan side of Punjab). “Yuvraj’s popularity in Pakistan is massive. Even my father (the late Hanif Mohammad) was a great admirer of his stroke-playing panache. Fans here would have given Yuvraj a fabulous reception.”

http://indianexpress.com/article/spo...uture-4842633/

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree about Yuvraj Singh. He is not in India's squads for Australia and he is not getting any younger either. He has good relations with some of the Pakistani players and an Indian playing in Pakistan could improve relations between the two countries.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We sure would have. Guys like him and Dhoni are quite popular here.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yuvi is extremely popular in Pakistan and I am absolutely adamant that he would've felt like Lahore is where he belongs. That's the beautiful thing about Lahore. Lahore and Lahori's don't care who you are, what your faith, color, caste or creed is - they love you anyway. ESPECIALLY if you're Punjabi.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm from Lahore, agree Yovi would have had a great reception at Lahore, but Lahori don;t care much about Punjabi or non-Punjabi, they love a certain charismatic character/cricketer and based on that Dhoni would have won the popularity competition with Yovi .

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Indian cricketers are employees of their board so we shouldnt have expected them to come over.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post
    Yuvi is extremely popular in Pakistan and I am absolutely adamant that he would've felt like Lahore is where he belongs. That's the beautiful thing about Lahore. Lahore and Lahori's don't care who you are, what your faith, color, caste or creed is - they love you anyway. ESPECIALLY if you're Punjabi.
    Why is Yuvi extremely popular in Pakistan?

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToeCrusher2 View Post
    I guess because anyone who hits a lot of sixes is very favorable in Pakistan. Tune into Geo Super and read the fan comments, people will be calling for comebacks of Imran Nazir and Awais Zia and Razzaq.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Indian cricketers are employees of their board so we shouldnt have expected them to come over.
    There's that. And the appearance fees of Indian cricketers would be orders of magnitude higher than the likes of Paul Collingwood, Ben Cutting etc.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also because he's a punjabi, most of Pakistan population is Punjabi,

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndYeah1 View Post
    There's that. And the appearance fees of Indian cricketers would be orders of magnitude higher than the likes of Paul Collingwood, Ben Cutting etc.
    The likes of du plessis Miller wouldn't mind lower fees I guess.

If he is satisfied with the security it wouldn't matter too much. If dissatisfied, even 200k wouldn't cut it

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anis10 View Post
    Also because he's a punjabi, most of Pakistan population is Punjabi,
    That's a pretty shallow reason for liking him, I am a punjabi too but don't think any pakistani cricketer is popular in Indian punjab just because they are punjabi

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's a pretty shallow reason for liking him, I am a punjabi too but don't think any pakistani cricketer is popular in Indian punjab just because they are punjabi
    Well none of Pakistani players are that good to be liked apart from probebly Mohammad Amir.

Yuvraj is a lot more liked in Pakistan then the likes of Ganguly,Dravid,Sachin,Sehwag, for his style of batting but also because he's a Punjabi and the people of Pakistan feel a connection with him.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    418 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post
    "Lahore and Lahori's don't care who you are.....especially if you're Punjabi"

Kuch to log kahenge
    Logon ka kaam hai kehna

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    The likes of du plessis Miller wouldn't mind lower fees I guess.

If he is satisfied with the security it wouldn't matter too much. If dissatisfied, even 200k wouldn't cut it
    Its a bit harsh to say but still true - South Africans' national salaries are the lowest among Eng/Aus/SA.

Besides, the PCB and CSA have a clear understanding, which resulted in the top SA players being "encouraged" to participate in the World XI.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 15th September 2017 at 16:04.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what about amir's admirer rohit sharma

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by another drop catch View Post
    what about amir's admirer rohit sharma
    He's too busy getting ready to drop a few more centuries against Australia to play exhibition games. Check his record home and away against Aus!

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    "Lahore and Lahori's don't care who you are.....especially if you're Punjabi"
    Lol good that I wasn't the only person who noticed the massive contradiction in that post. Honestly I find it strange that being Punjabi makes you a more popular cricketer in Pakistan.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yuvraj, Dhoni or Kohli would have massive reception and welcome in Pakistan.

Suresh Raina's nephew would perhaps get the next best.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    supremely talented but inconsistent and ill disciplined.... very much like a Pakistani cricketer.....

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    supremely talented but inconsistent and ill disciplined.... very much like a Pakistani cricketer.....
    A rich man's Afridi.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poutine View Post
    Lol good that I wasn't the only person who noticed the massive contradiction in that post. Honestly I find it strange that being Punjabi makes you a more popular cricketer in Pakistan.
    why strange? Dont you support india because you are indian? I would think being from the same ethnicity would be more relatable than from same country but completely different culture (south india vs north india). Also countries change very frequently (even 50 years ago geographys was much different than now. what makes u think it wont be completely different 50 years in the future?)