Runs
    Mentioned
    1975 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

JP Duminy retires from all international cricket [post#24]

Media Advisory: Statement on behalf of JP Duminy

Saturday, 16 September 2017

After long and careful deliberation, I have decided to retire from first-class and Test match cricket with immediate effect. I have thoroughly enjoyed the privilege and opportunity to represent my country in 46 Tests and the WSB Cape Cobras in 108 first-class matches overs the past 16 years. It is an experience that cannot be replaced and one I will always cherish. Test cricket has always been the pinnacle and I’ve been fortunate enough to experience some memorable highlights with the Proteas and also in first-class matches with the WSB Cape Cobras. In recent years I have been privileged to be a senior member and custodian of a special team environment and culture which has made me very proud.

In the years ahead, my focus will be placed on attaining limited-overs cricket success for South Africa and the WSB Cape Cobras, along with attending to my young family, who have been incredibly supportive and understanding. I will however not be lost to first-class cricket; I have offered my services to the WSB Cape Cobras and the coaching staff as a mentor/consultant and will be involved as they see fit. There are many talented youngsters coming through our domestic system and I would love to help where I can. I’ve had the privilege of working with the squad in this role over the last two weeks and I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

I certainly know that my playing career is far from over and my hope is that with the backing of Cricket South Africa, WSB Cape Cobras, team mates, family, friends and supporters, I will be given the opportunity to continue to give my very best to the sport that I love dearly.

Yours in Sport
    JP Duminy

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another blow for south african cricket

"To Became A Good Player, You Need Talent. To Became A Great Player You Need An Attitude Like Kohli" - Sunil Gavaskar

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    758 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    not good enough in Tests anyway. Wise decision.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No more series wins in Australia to come now unfortunately.

Kidding though..! Won't really matter much I believe.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is rubbish in ODIs too. Should be playing t20s only.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    JP had a lot of talent but in the end he flattered to deceive. This is no loss to the test team.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    he's a burden hence its good for SA cricket nevertheless am not seeing him in longer format anymore even if he didn't made this decision now

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Had a good start to Test Cricket and always seemed to perform against Australia but has never seemed to prove his case at a significant level for a prolonged period of time and won't really be missed as a player at the highest level of the game. Still had his highlights and has had his time in the sun too.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not good enough in tests. He can now focus on ODIs and T20Is where he can be more than handy

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I remember when JP first came onto the scene, had a 50 FC average and everyone was talking about how talented this guy is.

Don't really know what happened along the way, the guy didn't live up to expectations.

Good luck on his LOIs career.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    Sarcasm?

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Sarcasm?
    he is a decent player and south africa are already struggling with replacing their main players. he is no amla or de villiers but they are not better off without him.

"To Became A Good Player, You Need Talent. To Became A Great Player You Need An Attitude Like Kohli" - Sunil Gavaskar

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He was awful in tests. South Africa can finally have a batsmen who deserves to be in there rather than someone playing on potential.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1975 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Standard Bank Proteas all-rounder, JP Duminy, will bid farewell to the PPC Newlands faithful when he makes his final home One-Day International (ODI) appearance in the fifth Momentum ODI against Sri Lanka on Saturday. Duminy will retire from the 50-over format after the ICC Cricket World Cup in the UK later this year, but will continue to be available for the Proteas in T20 International (T20I) cricket.

Duminy, who announced his retirement from Test and First-Class cricket in 2017 to put more focus on his white-ball cricket, feels ‘the time is right’ to close this chapter of his international career. Saturday’s match will be a fitting farewell for a respected and admired servant of the game in front of the avid local fans and at a place he calls home.

“The last few months on the sidelines have given me an opportunity to re-assess my career going forward and to plot some goals I’d like to achieve in the future,” he said. “While a decision like this is never easy, I also feel that it is the right time for me to pass on the baton. I will still be available to play international and domestic T20 cricket, but would also like to invest more time towards my growing family, who are my number one priority. I have been privileged to live out my dream playing a sport I love, and I am forever grateful for the support I have received from my team mates, coaches, family, friends and fans throughout the years.”

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No surprise at this. A big rebuild awaits South Africa after the World Cup.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quite an underrated and underachieving player for SA.

Duminy had a knack for breaking partnerships. Sadly, only Biff recognised and used his golden arm to perfection.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good player, nice person also!

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    will olay full psl next year hopefully.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    JP Duminy, Imran Tahir so far the only players announced to be retiring after the world cup for South Africa and tbh its not that surprising, South Africa will be looking to rebuild the LOI team after the world cup and players like Duminy, Amla and Tahir will be the first ones to go

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TeymurBlake View Post
    JP Duminy, Imran Tahir so far the only players announced to be retiring after the world cup for South Africa and tbh its not that surprising, South Africa will be looking to rebuild the LOI team after the world cup and players like Duminy, Amla and Tahir will be the first ones to go
    In the AB interview thread, AB mentioned (being close friends with Faf) that Faf might retire after the WC or the T20 WC, as well.

An end to the great SA era. RIP.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandiasza View Post
    In the AB interview thread, AB mentioned (being close friends with Faf) that Faf might retire after the WC or the T20 WC, as well.

An end to the great SA era. RIP.
    I was gonna mention Faf as well. But yeah will likely leave.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It is vital that Markram fulfils his potential for SA after their stalwarts retire. So far despite amazing list A performances, he has not been able to convert starts.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    AB, Tahir, Amla, Duminy, Faf, Steyn, Morkel. 7 of the sure starters in the XI are going to leave in a space of 1 year. Not sure if SA will be the same force for next few years atleast.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1975 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Manchester - JP Duminy announced his retirement from all international cricket following Saturday's 10-run win over Australia in South Africa's final match of the 2019 Cricket World Cup.

The 35-year-old had retired from ODI cricket ahead of this year's showpiece, but the plan then was to continue playing T20 cricket for the national team with next year's T20 World Cup in Australia in mind.

Addressing media at Old Trafford, though, Duminy revealed that he had settled on the decision to completely stop all international cricket in the build-up to the Australia game.

"I've been considering it for the last couple of months and I've made the decision that this will be the last," he said.

"I went into the game with the guys knowing that this would be my last one.

"There is a big relief and also an appreciation for an amazing 15 years of international cricket. I'm absolutely blessed to have played with so many great cricketers and special humans over the years.

"It's been a disappointing tournament, but the last week that we had together was really enjoyable."

Duminy ends his career with 46 Tests at an average of 32.85, 199 ODIs at 36.81 and 81 T20Is at 38.68 to his name.

They might not be the most earth-shattering statistics, but Duminy believes that his legacy is more about the type of person he was in the national team environment.

"A team man," he said when asked how he wanted to be remembered.

"Whatever the team required was my mindset.

"Personal accolades are great, but whatever the team needed at any time was always my main focus. I hope that my team-mates saw that and it's something I will be remembered for.

"The numbers that I have produced are not going to go up against some of the best, and that's okay with me.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity and experience I have had. it's not about the numbers you produce ... it's about the person you are."

Duminy was out for 14 (13) in his final ODI on Saturday while he also bowled 0/22 (4).

https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Cr...icket-20190707

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    Offenbach am Main, Germany
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1048 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

JP Duminy retires from all international cricket [post#24]

Donīt remember much from his career really. He kind of sleep-walked the majority of his career and was often a walking wicket, especially under pressure. From his Limited-overs career, Iīd have to think hard and dig very deep into my memory to find performances to mention. I only remember a good-ish T20I innings against Pakistan from World T20 2012, a match which went on to become most famous for Umar Gulīs match-winning batting - yes, batting. You read that right. My lasting memory of hia Limited-Overs cricket will sadly be him batting out there, letting the required run-rate creep beyond a manageable rate for his team - it was quite often the case.

Apart from that there was obviously the highlight of his career, a series-defining, a brilliant and mind-boggling 166 in Australia in 2008, batting with the tail. One of the greatest innings ever played on the Australian soil. He became quite famous those days and had many fans in South Africa from what I remember. However, things never stayed the same from thereon. You could say that he either under-achieved in his career, or perhaps just over-achieved in his debut series. Itīs up to you which way you look at it.

He was a very handy spinner though. A bit like Hafeez, was hard to hit and would often chip in with economical spells in tough situations.

All the best to him for his future. He could play the straight and the cover-drive quite elegantly, didnīt he?

"It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for everything and have a great retirement, Duminy.

At his peak, he was a handy ODI player. He also could chip in with useful part-time spin.

BANGLADESH FAN
    RAPTORS FAN
    LIVERPOOL FAN

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    will never forget his 166 in test against aus in 2008 that was awesome and one of the best inning

He have massively under achieved after starting the career with bang

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duminy should've retired after Champions Trophy 2017. He stayed on for too long.

BANGLADESH FAN
    RAPTORS FAN
    LIVERPOOL FAN

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Right decision to retire from T20s as well. He is past his best.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good decision is was way past his prime

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Markhor, if only certain seniors could learn from Duminy. Could have easily played till the World T20 as he is a good T20 player. But he stepped aside because he knew deep down he isn’t good enough anymore.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Duminy is an important player in SA's history and played some classic knocks over the years. A gun player in his prime. Sad that his situation just detonated to the point where's he's basically forced himself to retire (his performances really have gotten significantly worse in the last 3-5 years) however I'm sure SA fans will remember him for what he gave them at his best.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not Pakistani players retire with dignity.

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WC-Passion View Post
    Duminy is an important player in SA's history and played some classic knocks over the years. A gun player in his prime. Sad that his situation just detonated to the point where's he's basically forced himself to retire (his performances really have gotten significantly worse in the last 3-5 years) however I'm sure SA fans will remember him for what he gave them at his best.
    Reminds me of Malik :-p

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shockbound View Post
    Reminds me of Malik :-p
    I'm not biting the bait on this one. Sorry.