Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    This was my original post:

Not sure what chances has anything to do with it, but minding your ignorance; my point stands, he didn't try and murder someone did he yet Stokes is getting the golden boy treatment. Pathetic really.
    Same strawman.

Once again.... KP was pardoned at least twice for disruptive behaviour and reintegrated to the England side. It was only after upsetting his second skipper and second coach that he was finally given up on and dispensed with. So England were hardly "quick enough to decide whether or not to get rid of KP". Actually it took five years from his first transgression.

England bent over backwards to keep him, really.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Nah.
    Stokes isn't fit to represent England in international sport until he actually serves a suspension. He is a violent thug.
    If the ECB want to condone that well it reflects incredibly poorly on the ECB.

Nobody is complaining that its unfair that James Pattinson is missing and he is missing through injury while Stokes only missed games because he broke is hand belting the living daylights out of a guy who was backing away.
    Except he's been suspended for 2 Ashes tests and 2 ODIs so far?

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Same strawman.

Once again.... KP was pardoned at least twice for disruptive behaviour and reintegrated to the England side. It was only after upsetting his second skipper and second coach that he was finally given up on and dispensed with. So England were hardly "quick enough to decide whether or not to get rid of KP". Actually it took five years from his first transgression.

England bent over backwards to keep him, really.
    Strawman from you repeatedly overlooking the original point regarding the fact that Stokes tried to kill someone and is getting the golden boy treatment yet KP is more evil and got what he deserved, that's disgusting to be honest and a very pro establishment mindset

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a KP fan who is barely over him being sacked by the mediocre likes of Strauss, but it's hard for me to stand up for KP when first he was texting opposition info about the team in and mocking his captain when SA toured. Then after his comeback, he was leaking info to the Oz dressing room.

I wish he had been brought back after the double hundred against a university side, but he managed to hack off and alienate the likes of Cook who wanted him back after the SA affair before that.

If I was captain Cook, and I had already put up with the SA affair before as a player, and still demanded that KP back after that, why the hell would I trust Kevin yet again?

Stokes shouldn't be in cricket for a few years, but two wrong decisions don't add up to a correct one.
    Last edited by hadi123; 6th December 2017 at 19:57.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    Except he's been suspended for 2 Ashes tests and 2 ODIs so far?
    Coincidentally the same matches he missed with a broken hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He was back to training and bowling before the first ashes test.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    He was back to training and bowling before the first ashes test.
    Training and bowling isn't match fit

And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Training and bowling isn't match fit
    There's footage of him bowling at what appears to be full tilt (bear in mind it was his bowling hand that was injured) a couple of weeks before the the first test, he would have been available for the first test.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Strawman from you repeatedly overlooking the original point regarding the fact that Stokes tried to kill someone and is getting the golden boy treatment yet KP is more evil and got what he deserved, that's disgusting to be honest and a very pro establishment mindset
    You’re making an emotional argument, not following lines of logical debate so I’ll leave you to it.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    So you are saying that if his hand wasn’t injured he would have played the first two tests?

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    So you are saying that if his hand wasn’t injured he would have played the first two tests?
    I'm saying that it isn't much of a punishment if you weren't going to be able to play anyway.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    You’re making an emotional argument, not following lines of logical debate so I’ll leave you to it.
    Speak for yourself, continue to sugar coat the actions of a guy that tried to kill someone because you deem it to be a minor crime compared to KP's transgressions due to your biases.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Speak for yourself, continue to sugar coat the actions of a guy that tried to kill someone because you deem it to be a minor crime compared to KP's transgressions due to your biases.
    Sugar coat? No but can I have a bit less hyperbole on that?

If he tried to kill someone he would already have been charged with attempted murder.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Families of one-punch victims who tragically lost their lives have expressed anger and astonishment at England’s decision to pick all-rounder Ben Stokes for its upcoming one-day international tour of Australia.

Stokes was arrested on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm during a wild street brawl in Bristol in September that saw a man receive a broken eye socket.

The 26-year-old, who has been stood down from England’s Ashes tour until he learns if he will be charged over the incident, was named in England’s 16-man squad for the one-day series, a decision coach Trevor Bayliss acknowledged would create a “circus”.

Matt Cronin, the father of Pat Cronin – a Melbourne teenager who died last year after being punched from behind at a bar – said that he was “astounded” when he heard of Stokes’ selection.

“I understand more than anyone that there’s a legal process to follow but the evidence is there … there’s absolutely no excuse for what he did from what I’ve seen on the vision,” he told The New Daily.

“I’m really disappointed in the decision. These are serious allegations and charges are pending – surely they would stand him down?

“My comment to the English Cricket Board would be how disappointed I am at their lack of moral judgement. To even contemplate picking him … do they want to bring their business into disrepute?

“By picking him, the English Cricket Board are essentially condoning his behaviour.

“What are we saying as a society if he is allowed to play?

“I’d be disgusted if an Australian was allowed to play in the same circumstances.”

Cronin – director of the Pat Cronin Foundation, which hopes to end coward-punch attacks through awareness, education and research – said that Stokes was extremely fortunate not to be facing more serious charges.

“He is so, so lucky that he didn’t kill the guy,” he said.

“It only takes one punch to kill. It just makes me feel sick after what happened with Pat.

“It doesn’t seem to be getting better – it’s time for action. It’s time for society to make a strong stance against these attacks.”

Stokes has been playing domestic cricket for New Zealand’s Canterbury over the last week in a bid to finetune his game for the Australia tour.

Paul Stanley also lost a son to mindless violence.

At just 15, Matthew Stanley was killed by a single punch at an 18-year-old’s birthday party in suburban Brisbane.

“My son Matt went to that birthday party with his mates and went to have fun … he didn’t go there to die,” Paul Stanley told The New Daily.

“All the sorry’s will never bring him back.

“No violence is acceptable in any way, shape or form.

“He [Stokes] probably doesn’t realise how bloody lucky he is not to be facing a murder charge.”

Paul Stanley, like Matt Cronin, has set up a foundation to educate young people about the dangers of violence.

The Matthew Stanley Foundation sees Paul speak at more than 200 Queensland schools each year and he urged sporting administrators to be far more pro-active to combat violence – both on the field and off the field.

“I really believe sporting administrators have got to take more responsibility on issues like this … these people aren’t sporting heroes – they are thugs,” he said.

“We say ‘that’s not cricket’ in cricket [for unsporting acts] – well it’s certainly not cricket belting a guy.

“Too often we see these sporting heroes, and I say that [heroes] in inverted commas, taking to the knuckle.

“And soon they will be standing around shaking heads and saying ‘why didn’t we do something about it?’ when something major happens.”

http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/cric...tokes-england/

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That article might help explain the feeling against Stokes playing in Australia- punching violence (usually alcohol associated) has been a really hot social topic the last few years. Those deaths & several others like them have been well publicised & there is a public move to say , "enough", with specific laws being created to allow tougher sentences for such assaults as a result of this public pressure. A deliberate attempt to move away from the 1970s, "seeing a fight at the pub on Friday is no big deal" attitude. Even before Ben Stokes, this was a hot issue in Australia lately.

Debut
    Aug 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sugar coat? No but can I have a bit less hyperbole on that?

If he tried to kill someone he would already have been charged with attempted murder.

Many people have been killed by one punch, God forbid, if that had happened, would you have changed your stance?