Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    825 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Wait a sec. Hales was kicking a guy 5 times in the head but he wasn't arrested?

How?

I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistanigoneaussie View Post
    watching the video a couple more times

1. The guy that got floored was the one who first struck with the bottle , however he was backing off and put his hands up when he basically got sucker punched
    Correction it actually is not the same person

They dress the same so its hard to tell but the guy swings the bottle is wearing black shoes with a white base. The guy who gets floored by Stokes is wearing completely white shoes

so its actually worse for ben

Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post

How?
    its was cheap shot while stokes had him on the ground, i doubt the police could have known without video

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    825 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistanigoneaussie View Post
    its was cheap shot while stokes had him on the ground, i doubt the police could have known without video
    Will he get arrested now?

5 kicks to the head is just too dangerous.

I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I've just watched the video...What a horrendous act by everyone involved.

Looked like Stokes was pretty drunk and was unsteady on his feet throughout the "brawl" but continued throwing punches. Hales is involved in kicking a guy that is on the ground, in the head. He only tried to back off at the end of the video when Stokes went berserk. Both should be punished, whatever the conviction is.

On a side note, Hales always [to me at least] comes across as an idiot trying to act cool and tough. This all but confirms what kind of person he is. Drunk or not.

Stokes on the other-hand has had off-field "issues" before, so no-one should be surprised by what we saw.

Feel for Root/Morgan and the coaching staff.

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Will he get arrested now?

5 kicks to the head is just too dangerous.
    1 kick to the head is dangerous enough. Hales runs away twice, before coming back and kicking the guy while he was down.

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just saw the footage. Whilst Stokes acted in self-defense initially, the moment their assailant was knocked down and on the floor, both Hales and Stokes proceeded to act like deranged mad-men. They were needlessly brutal and could have easily killed the guy with the bottle.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Was the guy he went after who was backing away the guy who tried to bottle his mate?

If things went to trial David Warner on Root would have been laughed out of court.
    You can't expect a beered-up Stokes to pick the right assailant in the dark. I say good on the lad for sticking up for his mate.

No comparison with the Warner incident, that's a strawman in this discussion.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Johannesburg
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    You can't expect a beered-up Stokes to pick the right assailant in the dark. I say good on the lad for sticking up for his mate.

Lol.

Yeah he was drunk and it was dark so he just started decking everyone. Come on.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffer_XIII View Post
    Lol.

Yeah he was drunk and it was dark so he just started decking everyone. Come on.
    Right out of the white people justifications handbook

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4739 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)

OMG, thanks for providing some comic relief in this thread

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is terrible

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1452 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    According to Piers Morgan, Stokes was actually a hero.

A group of homophobic louts were attacking two gay men, one of them with a bottle, and Stokes did the right thing, defending the gay guys.

If it’s true, good for him. People like them belong in a zoo.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    According to Piers Morgan, Stokes was actually a hero.

A group of homophobic louts were attacking two gay men, one of them with a bottle, and Stokes did the right thing, defending the gay guys.

If it’s true, good for him. People like them belong in a zoo.
    He defended the gay guys by going after a bloke who is lying on the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    With a bit of bad luck Stokes could have very easily been facing Manslaughter charges e.g. David Hookes.

And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    NB, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the video is really bad, the guy was backing off and he continued, i say his career is tarnished and pretty much over.

if he comes back it can be after years and he wont be the same player anymore.

such a shame
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 29th September 2017 at 16:11.

Babar Azam: Runs 8032, Average 44, Top Score: 204, Fav fan: CricFan2012

Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both Stokes and Hales have been suspended from England matches until further notice. Destroying their own careers smh.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4739 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)

Video emerges of Stokes mocking Katie Price son (who is disabled btw). What a nasty man.

It’s ok though, I’m sure he was just “beered up” and it was “dark” or something.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 28th September 2017 at 15:45.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both Hales and Stokes suspended by ECB.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4739 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good stance by the ECB. They couldn't have done anymore tbf. They've helped these guys and have warned Stokes before too, yet here we are.

As @Convict stated above, with a little bit of misfortune, or whatever you want to call it, the guy that got sucker-punched at the end could've been in huge trouble.

Even if you're helping out your gay friends, you don't do that. He, along with Hales, shouldn't have been out and about drunk with the series still on-going in the first place.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow, seriously embarrassing stuff:

What a pair of goons.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by London_Lahori View Post

Video emerges of Stokes mocking Katie Price son (who is disabled btw). What a nasty man.

It’s ok though, I’m sure he was just “beered up” and it was “dark” or something.
    Charming fellow

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How?
    Ben Stokes and Alex Hales will not be considered for selection for England international matches until further notice.

SIR DONALD BRADMAN ------SORRY, BUT NO ONE LIKE HIM

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England's Ashes squad is terrible, and without Stokes, they're likely to be annihilated. As much as I want England to win the Ashes, Stokes should be banned for at least a couple of years.

Not sure if the ECB or ICC can do that, but he shouldn't be allowed back into international sport after this. Without the video, he might have gotten off lightly if he wasn't imprisoned.

The man is insanely violent.

Relatedly, I thought Shoaib Akhtar was the worst for slapping Woolmer and hitting Asif with a cricket bat.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Time's magazine last Saturday:

Oh the irony...
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 28th September 2017 at 17:22.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinJay View Post
    Both Stokes and Hales have been suspended from England matches until further notice. Destroying their own careers smh.
    In the words of the great Ritchie: Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Strausser's showing strong leadership at least.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1425 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Just the ideal Sun subject!

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some sources are saying that the fight broke out due to two yobs giving homophobic abuse to Stokes's gay friends. Stokes was standing up for his friends against a couple of bigots. So (if this is true) his act is not clear cut from a moral point of view. But I have watched the video and that is some serious violence going on. He will be lucky to escape a prison sentence.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Some sources are saying that the fight broke out due to two yobs giving homophobic abuse to Stokes's gay friends. Stokes was standing up for his friends against a couple of bigots. So (if this is true) his act is not clear cut from a moral point of view. But I have watched the video and that is some serious violence going on. He will be lucky to escape a prison sentence.
    As stated above...even if that's true you don't make things worse by punching and kicking someone in the head. If he was indeed drunk he should never have been in that situation to begin with.

Good for him for standing up to those morons, but it doesn't stop the issue from being address either.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    As stated above...even if that's true you don't make things worse by punching and kicking someone in the head. If he was indeed drunk he should never have been in that situation to begin with.

Good for him for standing up to those morons, but it doesn't stop the issue from being address either.
    Yes, does not justify his behaviour, however if it's true it will be offered as mitigation in court potentially under 'self defence of another party' or even just as a possible reason for his anger.

Perhaps community service and and anger therapy could be the result of his actions.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    You don't even get jail for GBH as a first offence now. Prisons are rammed. No room and no money.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes, does not justify his behaviour, however if it's true it will be offered as mitigation in court potentially under 'self defence of another party' or even just as a possible reason for his anger.

Perhaps community service and and anger therapy could be the result of his actions.
    Yeah, I agree. But the 2nd issue is the video released today of him mocking Katie Price's kid. That in my opinion is truly poor judgement too.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Going by the definition of the shadows cast by those involved, it looks brighter than the middle of the pitch lit by floodlights during a nighttime T20.

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule”

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    For me to know and you to find out
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done to the ECB. These are two Star players and big match winners being taught that their is no compromise on poor discipline off the field when it comes to representing your country.

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    845 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    If it's true that he was defending someone else from a bunch of uncultured goons, then he does not deserve to have his career taken away from him.

He shouldn't be sent on a plane to Australia however. Best to let the Ashes overshadow this debacle and for Stokes to play his first post-punch-gate series in England.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 29th September 2017 at 16:11.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless of the specifics, whether he was defending gay guys or whatnot, as a high-profile sports star, you just can't go around acting like a thug. He shouldn't even have been near a nightclub during the middle of a series. This is showing a really crass set of standards. Some guys need their heads screwed on.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Who was he standing up for in the video when he mocked a disabled boy?

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You don't even get jail for GBH as a first offence now. Prisons are rammed. No room and no money.
    But you do get a 12 month jail sentence for deliberately bowling a no ball.

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule”

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2026 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Just utter utter stupidity.

It doesnt matter if the guys were making homophobic abuse, that does not justify

a) Stokes clocking a guy backing away and trying to leave across the face, knocking him out cold

b) Hales kicking a downed defenceless man on the head numerous times

As others have pointed out there were some absolutely ridiculous scenes of violence in that video, clearly the guy isnt right in the head and will never be far from controversy.

This could easily have resulted in someone dying. Why even go out mid way through an ODI series? During the week no less??

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal Cozzie View Post
    Just utter utter stupidity.

It doesnt matter if the guys were making homophobic abuse, that does not justify

a) Stokes clocking a guy backing away and trying to leave across the face, knocking him out cold

b) Hales kicking a downed defenceless man on the head numerous times

As others have pointed out there were some absolutely ridiculous scenes of violence in that video, clearly the guy isnt right in the head and will never be far from controversy.

This could easily have resulted in someone dying. Why even go out mid way through an ODI series? During the week no less??
    Going out isn't the problem, you have to treat players like adults and it was 2 days before the next ODI.

However no matter how you're provoked, when you're representing your country and are a Joe Root injury away from the captaincy right with Ashes tour on the horizon then you cannot be getting into scrapes like this.

He could've landed a couple of blows and plausibly claimed self-defence but the footage is damning - he took it way too far.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The video of Stokes fighting is disgusting.

The video of him mocking a disabled child is ten times worse.

What a disgraceful man he is.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2026 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Going out isn't the problem, you have to treat players like adults and it was 2 days before the next ODI.

However no matter how you're provoked, when you're representing your country and are a Joe Root injury away from the captaincy right with Ashes tour on the horizon then you cannot be getting into scrapes like this.

He could've landed a couple of blows and plausibly claimed self-defence but the footage is damning - he took it way too far.
    Exactly, had he hit yer man once or twice and its proven the fella did abuse a friend of his youd still condemn it as stupidity but itd lessen it a bit.

Fact is the guy has massive anger issues and the behavior he displayed once he got the first punch one is more befitting a wild animal than a vice captain, or hell any human being. Couldve killed him and hes got past history as well.

English Crickets response to Joey Barton

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    NB, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why was this man even a vice captain in the first place with an attitude like that?

Babar Azam: Runs 8032, Average 44, Top Score: 204, Fav fan: CricFan2012

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Posters saying he wont get bird for this aren't realising that rightly or wrongly judges will want to set an example to other high profile sportsman.
    I think he will get a small trip to prison where he can really test his boxing skills out.
    Hales should be punished too.
    Stokes is a brilliant player ~ probably the best cricketer in the world~ but there s a monster inside that needs dealing with.
    Hi s joke against a disabled kid shows he s a bit of low life really and he needs proper fixing ~ not silly excuses for his behaviour

"Where you start from is as important as what you do"

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just to point out Steven Gerrard punched a man three times in the face, after arguing over music in Southport bar...He was cleared of affray because, wait for it, he claimed he had been acting in self-defence as he thought the other man was about to strike him.

Sometimes even a stupid excuse like that can clear a name. So I wouldn't exactly hold my breath over a sentence of any kind.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just to point out Steven Gerrard punched a man three times in the face, after arguing over music in Southport bar...He was cleared of affray because, wait for it, he claimed he had been acting in self-defence as he thought the other man was about to strike him.

Sometimes even a stupid excuse like that can clear a name. So I wouldn't exactly hold my breath over a sentence of any kind.
    Understand your point but Gerrard s punches weren't videoed and didn't go viral.
    A picture s worth a thousands words ~ and Stokes is in deep sxxt

"Where you start from is as important as what you do"

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Dublin
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has a previous conviction and, from the video, it is clear that this was a serious attack. He is lucky he did not kill someone. It would be a travesty of justice if this clown was not sent to prison.
    Last edited by hadi123; 29th September 2017 at 14:28.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Im Suds View Post
    Understand your point but Gerrard s punches weren't videoed and didn't go viral.
    A picture s worth a thousands words ~ and Stokes is in deep sxxt
    It was on CCTV camera, mate. It probably didn't go viral because it was almost a decade ago. Social media has changed now.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, I'm not sure I trust Piers Morgan- it's his job to be a shock-jock & generate publicity by always offering a counter-narrative or alternate position. But if these two friends or strangers back up the story then it paints him in a somewhat better light.

His problem is that he seemed to have scared them off- they were hands up & probably ready to leave after 1 or 2 more tough guy insults, at that point 99% of people say ok, say your worst then go away. But then he wanted on with it.

The bottle will be a key plank in his defence I suspect. If they did use that, then they have used a weapon & anything short of that in response is more easily defendable as self defence/defence of others at risk.

If he has been well advised legally he will have stated that after seeing the bottle used he was in fear of his life/his friends life or that they would be seriously injured by this man with the weapon (bottle). That might not be enough but that statement will hold up in many circumstances.

He's made it hard by the video seeming to show him being the aggressor but he should argue the previous, plus that they had not left the scene so he still felt threatened.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Yikes.

Stokes has serious issues. I can't believe someone of his stature would make fun of a disabled child.

Based on what they did to KP, this should be a complete removal from English cricket.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    This fool was caught on camera mocking a disabled kid. Yet it's this idiot English fans and the ECB support.

Where was all this for KP?
    Last edited by hadi123; 29th September 2017 at 14:37.

Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

100% English.

Glad he left NZ, he's England's problem now.

Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post
    Yes, I'm not sure I trust Piers Morgan- it's his job to be a shock-jock & generate publicity by always offering a counter-narrative or alternate position. But if these two friends or strangers back up the story then it paints him in a somewhat better light.

His problem is that he seemed to have scared them off- they were hands up & probably ready to leave after 1 or 2 more tough guy insults, at that point 99% of people say ok, say your worst then go away. But then he wanted on with it.

The bottle will be a key plank in his defence I suspect. If they did use that, then they have used a weapon & anything short of that in response is more easily defendable as self defence/defence of others at risk.

If he has been well advised legally he will have stated that after seeing the bottle used he was in fear of his life/his friends life or that they would be seriously injured by this man with the weapon (bottle). That might not be enough but that statement will hold up in many circumstances.

He's made it hard by the video seeming to show him being the aggressor but he should argue the previous, plus that they had not left the scene so he still felt threatened.
    Only one person had the bottle, the guy that Stokes punched to the ground did not use a weapon and did not threaten Stokes.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a bit of bad luck Stokes could have very easily been facing Manslaughter charges e.g. David Hookes.
    No famous sports star would face prison. Stokes is too important/famous of a player and (although you do actually have other sports stars that do get jail time a la OJ) but under influence, I’m convinced he’ll just get a fine and suspension.

Marcos Alonso, Chelsea defender but then Bolton, killed a women drunk driving. Was double the limit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...passenger.html

Consequences:

http://www.larazon.es/deportes/futbo...tt1tx736HpW7Jm

Basically he was supposed to get sentenced for 4 years, got reduced to 1 year 9 months, then just got fined and his license suspended because:
    1) he paid a lot of money to the victims family
    2) he understood the severity of his crime, etc
    3) the court took too long to rule on the case

Sports star literally get away with murder.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ‘Suspended until further notice’ but their contracts are still ongoing. I get the severity of the case but the punishment will be anything but.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Stokes on the plane to Aus. But if he were to get suspended: 6 months?

Just comparing this case to others. You see Rooney being a muppet every other weekend but he plays weekly. Other plays doing things under influence - nothing happened. Same thing for Stokes too.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ben Stokes and Alex Hales dropped by England until further notice

Ben Stokes and Alex Hales, two of England’s leading cricketers, have been stood down from international duty indefinitely pending the outcome of a police investigation into an altercation that took place during the early hours of Monday morning in Bristol.

This move to make the pair unavailable for selection was made by the England and Wales Cricket Board on Thursday afternoon in response to footage published by the Sun the previous evening which purported to be of the incident. It places Stokes, the vice-captain of the Test team, in danger of missing the Ashes tour to Australia that departs at the end of next month.

Stokes, 26, was arrested at 2.35am in the Clifton area of the city on Monday on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm – a 27-year-old man was left needing treatment for a facial injury in Bristol Royal Infirmary – and he was released later that day under investigation. Stokes is now due to be reinterviewed under caution by Avon and Somerset police in the next week.

Hales, who was present at the time of the incident but not arrested, is also due to be interviewed by detectives, having previously returned to Bristol on Tuesday morning to help with enquiries. The two team-mates had been out drinking after England’s 124-run win in their third one-day international against West Indies in the city on the Sunday.

The news of Stokes’s arrest broke on Tuesday, the day when England’s selectors sat down to pick their squad for the five-Test series in Australia that starts in Brisbane on 23 November. The all-rounder, who suffered a broken right little finger in the incident, was subsequently named in the touring party and retained in his position as vice-captain.

Both of those decisions were made by the ECB pending the outcome of police investigations and their own internal disciplinary inquiry. But after Wednesday’s fourth one-day international at the Oval – a match Stokes and Hales sat out – a video purporting to be of the incident was published by the Sun and forced the governing body to act again.

Both Stokes and Hales are understood to maintain that the altercation started when they saw two gay men being abused and decided to come to their defence.

In a statement issued on Thursday afternoon, the ECB announced both players will now be unavailable for international selection until further notice on full pay, with Andrew Strauss, England’s team director and a former Test captain himself, referring their internal case to the sport’s Cricket Discipline Commission.

It read: “Ben Stokes and Alex Hales will not be considered for selection for England international matches until further notice. Each remains on full pay pending further ECB investigation and the ongoing police investigation into an incident in Bristol in the early hours of Monday 25 September.”

The governing body notably did not use the word suspension regarding the two players, with the move effectively a holding position while the legal case runs its course. In practical terms, it sees Hales out of Friday’s final final match of the season against West Indies at Hampshire’s Ageas Bowl, a match Stokes would have missed through his hand injury.

Hales, an opening batsman for Nottinghamshire, is not part of England’s Test squad and will be available to take up a contract in South Africa’s Twenty20 league from November. But Stokes’s next cricket is the Ashes tour that departs on 28 October, the warm-up matches for which begin the week after the squad’s arrival in Perth, and his participation remains in jeopardy.

As things stand, Stokes is out of the series in what would be a major blow for England’s chances. Joe Root’s side currently hold the Ashes having beaten Australia 3-2 at home in 2015. On Wednesday Strauss refused to rule out stripping Stokes of the vice-captaincy, a position he assumed in February this year.

Since his debut during the 2013-14 Ashes tour to Australia, Stokes has risen to become one of the most highly-rated all-round cricketers in the world, scoring six Test centuries and claiming 95 wickets from 39 caps, as well as being the England team’s most dynamic fielder.

His all-action style has also attracted suitors in the Twenty20 cricket tournaments around the globe. A £1.7m deal to play for Rising Pune Supergiants earlier this year – believed to be worth nearly three times his central contract with England – made him the highest paid overseas cricketer in the lucrative Indian Premier League.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...llowing-arrest

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    In your dil, but not in your dimaag.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I think the video of him mocking a disabled kid made me lose respect for him way more than the fighting video.

Men in their mid 20s in the West might get a little extra rowdy after a few drinks and go out throwing fists.

But it really tells a tale when you pick on somebody less fortunate whilst being 100% aware of your state of mind.

Glad Misbah spanked him around in the UAE tour and now I hope whenever Marlon Samuels faces him he smashes him for a six.

edit: Actually I take that back. No need to wish ill on anyone. He has already screwed himself over and potentially sidelined himself from what could've been a dream Ashes tour.
    Last edited by Suleiman; 29th September 2017 at 02:59.

Swing it like Akram, whack it like Afridi, live it like Inti.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1452 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    There are quite a few political things going on here.

Obviously Stokes is an unintelligent thug - we have known that for years.

Having said that, he's by far England's best Test cricketer now that Cook is in decline and Root has become loose defensively from playing too much 20 and 50 overs garbage.

So one issue is people like me being desperate to see him play in Australia (where he lacks the brains and education of Stuart Broad, which let him handle the abuse of the crowd). There's a significant worry that Stokes is an accident waiting to happen once the Ockers start to sledge him.

There's also a flip side too: people like Piers Morgan (and myself) want this to finish off Andrew Strauss, and will shout from the rooftops that KP never hit anybody, but was purged to settle a personal vendetta.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    I think the video of him mocking a disabled kid made me lose respect for him way more than the fighting video.

Men in their mid 20s in the West might get a little extra rowdy after a few drinks and go out throwing fists.

But it really tells a tale when you pick on somebody less fortunate whilst being 100% aware of your state of mind.

Glad Misbah spanked him around in the UAE tour and now I hope whenever Marlon Samuels faces him he smashes him for a six.

edit: Actually I take that back. No need to wish ill on anyone. He has already screwed himself over and potentially sidelined himself from what could've been a dream Ashes tour.
    Most of us don't.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    There are quite a few political things going on here.

Obviously Stokes is an unintelligent thug - we have known that for years.

Having said that, he's by far England's best Test cricketer now that Cook is in decline and Root has become loose defensively from playing too much 20 and 50 overs garbage.

So one issue is people like me being desperate to see him play in Australia (where he lacks the brains and education of Stuart Broad, which let him handle the abuse of the crowd). There's a significant worry that Stokes is an accident waiting to happen once the Ockers start to sledge him.

There's also a flip side too: people like Piers Morgan (and myself) want this to finish off Andrew Strauss, and will shout from the rooftops that KP never hit anybody, but was purged to settle a personal vendetta.
    You live in the wrong state but where you around in Australia when Ben Cousins was at his peak? If you let superstar players get away with things just because they are superstars you create a really bad culture.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    In your dil, but not in your dimaag.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Most of us don't.
    Ofc not. I live in the west too, nearby a club district. Every once in a while an hour before closing time you will hear yelling shoving and fists being thrown between two parties.

Nothing to do with being Western. All of it to do with being intoxicated. I said in the West because obviously you won't find alcohol fuelled night life in Pakistan.

Swing it like Akram, whack it like Afridi, live it like Inti.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Somebody tell Stokes that he is not Stone Cold Steve Austin.

His career is over.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    earth between north pole and south pole
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have many issues with the fight but that video made me lost respect for him. Video of mimicking the kid is really really disgusting.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauntless View Post
    I don't have many issues with the fight but that video made me lost respect for him. Video of mimicking the kid is really really disgusting.
    Classic "final nail in the coffin" moment for Stokes there.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post

It looks ugly, but I think it's aimed more at Katie Price than her son.

I think he should avoid alcohol around people he doesn't know in future, as his judgement becomes impaired. I can see what has happened here. Somebody has cynically waited until he has lost a bit of control, filmed him and sold it for cash.

We see here a very nasty aspect of the British character - the press will make a sports star or singer into a sungod for a while, then decide s/he deserves to be cut down to size. I've seen it many times.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely disgusting.

I take my words back,this fool is worse than Pietersen ever was.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It looks ugly, but I think it's aimed more at Katie Price than her son.

I think he should avoid alcohol around people he doesn't know in future, as his judgement becomes impaired. I can see what has happened here. Somebody has cynically waited until he has lost a bit of control, filmed him and sold it for cash.

We see here a very nasty aspect of the British character - the press will make a sports star or singer into a sungod for a while, then decide s/he deserves to be cut down to size. I've seen it many times.
    Place the blame where it belongs, he put himself in this position, no one else.

The press can't cut him down without him doing something stupid, everything is down to Stokes.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arham_PakFan View Post
    Absolutely disgusting.

I take my words back,this fool is worse than Pietersen ever was.
    Pietersen is actually a decent human being, Stokes is just a loser personality.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If one of them had a knife or another weapon this could have been really really bad.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Damn those punches....

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Anyone else find it weird the video of him mocking the kid was released straight after the incident with the fight happened?

It's almost as if the press were waiting for something to happen and release/post that video. As they say here, in the UK, "they pick you up, only to knock you down."

That being said you don't mock anyone, let alone a kid with learning difficulties - and you don't go out boozing and throw punches/kicks. You'll end up getting what you deserve.

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what about Hales with those soft kicks on the head..

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Anyone else find it weird the video of him mocking the kid was released straight after the incident with the fight happened?

It's almost as if the press were waiting for something to happen and release/post that video. As they say here, in the UK, "they pick you up, only to knock you down."

That being said you don't mock anyone, let alone a kid with learning difficulties - and you don't go out boozing and throw punches/kicks. You'll end up getting what you deserve.
    Nah it was fight footage released, Stokes' camp damage controls with the fighting homophobia story and then the video of him mocking the kid was released.

English gutter media working well but hey Stokes made his own bed in this case.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His career is far from over. He got into a brawl, looks bad, but the ECB will still want him in England and they'll do anything they can to do that.

Sports stars get away with anything.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I find that weird too as that video must be old. A professional sportsman should not be doing things like that.

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/footb...id=mailsignout

Piers Morgan trying to defend him

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stokes will get a high-priced lawyer. And get away with a slap on the wrist - on the legal front, as well as on the cricket. This won't happen right away, they will take some time for the 'heat' to pass.