Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Australian opener David Warner waiting on England all-rounder Ben Stokes ruling

David Warner is among many Australians watching the Ben Stokes saga unfold with interest, having been severely punished by his employers following an altercation some four years ago.

Warner took a swing at Joe Root, now England's captain, during a Birmingham bar-room scrap that overshadowed Australia's lead-up to the 2013 Ashes.

Cricket Australia told Warner, now vice-captain, he was on his last chance. The opener was dispatched to Africa for an Australia A series then effectively banned for two Tests.

England all-rounder Stokes faces the prospect of far more serious consequences for his involvement in a brawl outside a Bristol nightclub that left a man in hospital with facial injuries.

Police continue to probe the incident, having this week reiterated calls for key witnesses to come forward.

"I did do my time. It was a lot less than what we've seen on that footage, that's for sure," Warner told reporters.

"Does Cricket Australia regret that or not? I don't know. I just copped it on the chin and moved forward.

"It's up to them (England's cricket board) what they want to do, how they punish him ... first of all it's up to the police obviously with their investigation.

"Everyone in the world is waiting to see what happens there and what the outcome is."

Warner echoed the sentiments of skipper Steve Smith, who recently suggested Stokes is one of the best players in the world.

"To bowl 140-plus km/h and bat in the middle order, score runs, it makes him an exceptional talent," Warner said.

"If he's able to tour, we're going to assess what our plans are against him.

"If he doesn't come .. we have to respect whoever they chose."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/10/18/...-ruling-warner

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Ashes 2017: Ben Stokes unlikely to tour according to Mark Taylor

Former Australian skipper Mark Taylor says the potential absence of all-rounder Ben Stokes from the upcoming Ashes doesn’t mean England can’t win the series.

The future of Stokes remains up in the air, after he was involved in a brawl outside a Bristol nightclub that resulted in a man being taken to hospital with facial injuries.

The ECB have announced Stokes won’t travel with the squad to Australia, but no final decision has been made on his involvement in the series.

“I think it’s going to be very difficult for the ECB to send Ben Stokes to Australia,” Taylor told Wide World of Sports.

“Having said that, I’m not going to be too judgemental on Ben Stokes because I don’t know the events of the night. I have no doubt that there was probably a lot of hassling going on at the time.

“I think the video evidence that we’ve all seen, is going to make it very difficult for the English side to pick him.”

The former Australian captain says his reaction would have been one of “horror” had similar footage emerged when he was in charge.
    “I’ve always thought it takes two to tango, but you can’t deal with it that way, particularly when you’re in the public eye.

“You’re in a no-win situation there, all you can really do in that situation is get out of there. Remove yourself from the situation, and I think that’s what he has to do in the future, and that’s what I’d be telling him if I were his captain, coach, father, whoever.”

Taylor famously found himself in charge of an Australian side that lost key players prior to the Test series against West Indies in 1995, before recording an historic victory.

“There’s no doubt losing a key player certainly can have an impact, but it does put the onus back on the leadership group, to do something about it.

“It doesn’t mean you can’t win the series, I can think back to the West Indies series in 1995, we lost Craig McDermott and Damien Fleming before that series, that was our opening bowling attack gone.

“But that’s when Glenn McGrath stood up, Paul Reiffel stood up, Brendon Julian stood up. You can make other people fill those roles. You’ve got to discuss it, and empower those people who are going to fill those shoes.”

Stokes is averaging nearly 36 with the bat in Test cricket and just under 34 with the ball, but Taylor says the figures don’t tell the full story.

“He does bring something to England that Australia don’t have at the moment, that genuine all-rounder at number six. I remember him making a hundred at Perth four years ago, I think he showed us then what he can do in this country, and in recent years we’ve seen him take some very useful wickets.

“You don’t always have to take a bag of wickets, but if you can pick up that big wicket, be that partnership breaker, you can change a test match with the ball. He’s one of those guys that can change a Test match with the bat or the ball, and they are rare characters.”

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/10/19/...ys-mark-taylor

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Ashes 2017 - With or without Ben Stokes, England can win the Ashes says Mitchell Johnson

FORGET the doubters, England can win the Ashes — even without star all-rounder Ben Stokes.

No, that’s not the opinion of an ex-England great or current player.

It’s from the mouth of Mitchell Johnson.

Yep, the chief destroyer of England’s hopes in the 2013/14 Ashes whitewash, when the tearaway left-armer snared an extraordinary 37 wickets in ruthless fashion, believes it would be unwise to put a line through the tourists if Stokes is stranded at home.

Stokes’ Ashes campaign remains in limbo as he awaits further information from the police investigation into a street brawl that was captured on CCTV footage in which a man was knocked to the ground — suffering cuts to his face.

Already Stokes has been left out of the initial touring party to land in Australia and there is a growing feeling that the fiery competitor will miss out altogether.

The likes of ex-England skippers Kevin Pietersen and Michael Vaughan accept that a Stokes-less England is a meek proposition and, essentially, a sitting duck on Australian soil, while there’s been no shortage of Australian champions happy to point out how great a loss Stokes would be.

Johnson said it was a dangerous attitude to have.

“I don’t think you can read too much into what people are commenting on ‘No Stokes, no England’,” Johnson said on BBC Radio Five.

“I think England can win without him. I think at a contest at that high level, anyone can win.

“If you’re Australia, you don’t want to be thinking they can’t win because Stokes isn’t there — that can bite you in the backside pretty quickly.”

Neither side enters the contest in exceptional form, with Australia having recently drawn 1-1 with Bangladesh while England have major question marks about their top order which arose during home series against South Africa and West Indies.

“I’m still confident that Australia can win the series, but the performances recently haven’t been great from both sides,” Johnson said.

“The wickets are a little bouncier and faster, so some of these new guys might find it harder, and that’s where the Australian bowling attack is strong.”

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first look, I read it " Can't ".

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    'Ben Stokes saved us from homophobic attack, he was a real hero'

Two gay men have claimed Ben Stokes was defending them from homophobic abuse when he was arrested following an incident outside a Bristol nightclub.

Kai Barry, 26, and Billy O'Connell, 20, said in an interview with The Sun that Stokes came to their aid by standing up to threatening bullies.

Stokes was arrested in September on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm and released without charge, but remains under police investigation.

The 26-year-old, who also suffered a broken finger, will not fly out with the rest of England's Ashes squad to Australia on Saturday, having been suspended following the incident.

Barry and O'Connell claimed they met the all-rounder and his England team-mate Alex Hales in a nightclub on the evening in question and Stokes bought them drinks. The pair said they had no idea they were cricketers.

It was reported that Stokes and Hales were later walking along the road near the pair, after leaving the nightclub, when Barry and O'Connell were subjected to homophobic abuse.

O'Connell told The Sun: "We were so grateful to Ben for stepping in to help. He was a real hero. Kai feared he could be attacked. If Ben hadn't intervened it could have been a lot worse for us."

Barry added: "I'm not a fighter and we didn't want a fight. We could've been in real trouble. Ben was a real gentleman."

The pair claimed they had been unaware of the repercussions of the incident, only finding out when "a policeman came round this week", according to Barry.

O'Connell added: "Ben is a really nice guy and I hope he can still play for England in the Ashes. It would be awful (if) his career was ruined over this. He was just trying to help defend Kai."

Journalist and TV presenter Piers Morgan, a celebrity acquaintance of several cricketers, claimed at the time that the fight occurred after Stokes and Hales had defended two gay men from homophobic abuse.

Neil Fairbrother, Stokes' agent with International Sports Management, has said the star will offer a full explanation of his actions "when the time is right".

He has not been ruled out of the five-Test series in Australia, which starts on November 23, but the England and Wales Cricket Board will not consider him for selection until further notice as it awaits developments.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2...ng-homophobic/

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Ruomours flying on FB that Stokes will not be charged.

In which case he will get a severe telling off from Strauss, be stripped of the vice captaincy and on the plane to Australia.

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Ruomours flying on FB that Stokes will not be charged.

In which case he will get a severe telling off from Strauss, be stripped of the vice captaincy and on the plane to Australia.
    Fantastic news

Dazzling the stage, Ginga Bishonen. Shinpathy!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1425 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Adelaide - England's record bowler James Anderson was named as vice-captain for the Ashes series against Australia on Friday, replacing Ben Stokes who is suspended and under investigation over a nightclub brawl.

Anderson, 35, who has 506 Test wickets, was promoted as understudy to captain Joe Root ahead of fellow paceman Stuart Broad and ex-skipper Alastair Cook.

Coach Trevor Bayliss previously said he was planning for an Ashes series without Stokes, who is running out of time ahead of the first Test in Brisbane from November 23.

Stokes remains at home awaiting the outcome of a police probe into his involvement in the brawl outside a Bristol nightclub on September 25.

Lancashire bowling great Anderson is embarking on his fourth Test tour of Australia, and he looks likely to play a key role as England's bowlers hit injury problems.

Nottinghamshire speedster Jake Ball is to have a scan after he injured his right ankle on Thursday during England's warm-up game against a Cricket Australia XI in Adelaide.

It follows a knee injury which ruled paceman Steven Finn out of the tour.

Surrey all-rounder Tom Curran has arrived as Finn's tour replacement, while all-rounder Moeen Ali continues to recover from a side strain.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/As...-capt-20171110

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ben Stokes spotted at Heathrow Airport heading out to New Zealand but England star remains a long way off Ashes comeback after Bristol brawl

The Ashes took another extraordinary twist on Monday when Ben Stokes was spotted at Heathrow Airport heading off to play cricket - but it is not yet with England.

Social media was ablaze when Stokes was spotted with all his cricket equipment heading for a plane in London but it quickly became apparent that this was not an unlikely dash to Australia.

Stokes was instead heading to his native New Zealand to see family and step up his recovery from the hand he broke in the infamous incident in a Bristol bar that led to him being suspended.

It is thought that Stokes will practice in Christchurch, where his parents still live, and hopes to play cricket for Canterbury as he looks to be ready should he get clearance to join England on a tour that is rapidly heading downhill.

But Sportsmail understands he is a long way off what will be an incredible comeback with England, who move on to Adelaide today after their crushing first Test defeat and the storm over Jonny Bairstow and an apparent head-butt.

Director of cricket Andrew Strauss said on Sunday that England are no nearer hearing whether Stokes will face criminal charges for the Bristol incident. And until that is finally decided England cannot begin their disciplinary process to decide whether he will come to Australia.

It is a step forward for Stokes and clearly he wants to be in position to be able to travel easily to Australia should he be cleared this week.

His mindset is said to be positive and perhaps this is an indication that he is expecting good news. But he is clearly a long way from playing in the Ashes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cri...w-Zealand.html

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offence but surely you could have referenced a paper other than the Daily Fail?

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mak36 View Post
    No offence but surely you could have referenced a paper other than the Daily Fail?
    I did a quick search and the first ones I saw were this and The Sun.

Funnily enough, The Sun's title was something like 'Stokes off to Australia'... guess it wasn't updated at the time.

Lots of social media hoo-ha on this as people were all initially fooled into thinking he's joining up with the England squad.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    I did a quick search and the first ones I saw were this and The Sun.

Funnily enough, The Sun's title was something like 'Stokes off to Australia'... guess it wasn't updated at the time.

Lots of social media hoo-ha on this as people were all initially fooled into thinking he's joining up with the England squad.
    Understood.

Btw, even if England wanted him to join up, isn't his hand still fractured? All the social media hoo-ha reminds me of the phrase, "a lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes."

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Understood.

Btw, even if England wanted him to join up, isn't his hand still fractured? All the social media hoo-ha reminds me of the phrase, "a lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes."
    Not sure. Apparently he's been training etc.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Understood.

He fractured his bowling hand and posted a video of himself bowling at the Durham indoor nets a couple of weeks back now so it can't have been that bad.
    Last edited by HitWicket; 27th November 2017 at 23:50.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I believe the scheduled recovery for his hand which I heard at the time had him ready to play by the Third Test- which also allow ECB to claim he had served a 2 match "ban".

If he's bowling now, he might bat next week & then be good to play.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    So much for this ban if he is playing professional cricket in New Zealand.

Typical yellow bellied ECB.

Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Media Release - Canterbury Confirm of having informal discussions with Ben Stokes' representatives

Following the recent speculation surrounding Ben Stokes coming to New Zealand, Canterbury Cricket can now confirm that they have been in initial informal discussions with Ben Stokes' representatives regarding his potential availability for Ford Trophy and Burger King Super Smash cricket.

Speaking on the matter CEO Jeremy Curwin commented "The CCA Board and New Zealand Cricket will independently be considering this issue in the near future but, until then, we are unable to provide any more detail on the status of the deliberations . As and when there are any further developments we will of course release further statements."

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Ben Stokes not joining England's Ashes squad, ECB deny rumours

England cricket chiefs on Tuesday said suspended all-rounder Ben Stokes was visiting family in New Zealand and not heading to Australia after he was apparently spotted leaving London’s Heathrow airport. An image that claimed to show him at the airport began doing the rounds on social media late Monday, sparking speculation that he was flying Down Under to take part in the Ashes.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) quickly poured cold water on the suggestion.

“The ECB is aware that Ben Stokes is making a private trip to New Zealand to spend time with his family. His travel arrangements have not been arranged by the ECB,” it said in a statement. “He is not on his way to the Ashes, England Lions or any other official training camps with the England set-up.”

Stokes has been suspended pending the outcome of investigations into a late-night incident in which he appeared to get involved in a fight outside a Bristol nightclub in September.

The controversy rocked England’s preparations for the series with former Australia Test captains Steve Waugh and Ian Chappell among those who believe England can’t retain the Ashes without him.

Australia won the first Test in Brisbane this week by 10 wickets, with the day-night second Test starting in Adelaide on Saturday.

However, the Mirror reported, “The fiery all-rounder has flown to his original homeland to get himself match fit for an Ashes battle that England badly need him for despite possible charges hanging over him.”

Stokes may appear for Canterbury on Sunday in New Zealand’s domestic competition.

Stokes moved from New Zealand to England as a child so his father Gerard, a former rugby league international, could take a coaching role.

Both his parents have since moved back to Christchurch.

http://www.cricketcountry.com/news/b...rumours-663776

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    According to some inside information that I stumbled upon it is already pretty much nailed on that Stokes will not be charged, which I find difficult to believe given the video footage, but as they say the law is an @ss.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the ECB let him play in the Ashes [which they will], I'm not sure what to expect from the 'better' boards.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    England could backdate Ben Stokes’ suspension to aid Ashes return

Ben Stokes is readying himself to make an astonishing England return during the Ashes series in the event that he is cleared by police following his arrest over a late-night incident in Bristol two months ago.

Although the all-rounder is still waiting to discover if he is in the clear – and is currently unavailable to play for the national team while doing so – there is a growing belief that if it comes, a backdated cricketing suspension covering the matches he has already missed could result and he would be allowed to join the embattled tour.

Stokes has flown to Christchurch in New Zealand in order to get match fit and ultimately give himself the best possible chance of a Test return if this path opens up, with talks over a deal to play for Canterbury already under way.

Originally described as a private trip to visit family by the England and Wales Cricket Board – his parents live there – it later emerged that the 26-year-old was issued with a “no-objection certificate” last Friday by the national team’s director, Andrew Strauss.

Strauss is said to be surprised how fast Stokes has since moved, however, having only been informed of the New Zealand trip hours before the all-rounder was spotted at Heathrow airport on Monday night with his cricket gear among the luggage. Nevertheless, Stokes is now poised to play for Canterbury and could make his cricketing comeback as soon as this Sunday’s 50-over Ford Trophy match against Otago in Rangiora.

His England team-mates, who flew to Adelaide on Tuesday after their first Test defeat at the Gabba, will be into day two of the pink-ball second Test against Australia in what would be an odd look for English cricket. Stokes was, however, only ever stood down from international selection while being investigated by the police.

There remain many moveable parts that first hinge on both the timing and the outcome of the police investigation into events in Bristol on 25 September, with a recent delay understood to have arisen because of a new witness coming forward.

Once the outcome is known, the ECB’s disciplinary hearing for both Stokes and Alex Hales, who is also suspended from internationals, will then kick in over the following 48 hours. Strauss stated on Monday that certain procedural elements have already taken place.

Were this chain of events to begin in the next week – Stokes has already given his final statement to Avon and Somerset police – with no police charge, a cricketing ban that covers the two ODIs and two Tests he will have sat out already would mean that a return for the third Test, starting in Perth on 14 December, would be possible.

While a heavier ban would quash any hopes of a recall, fitness also remains a hurdle. Stokes is on the mend from a broken finger suffered on the night in question and though he has been batting and bowling at Durham’s indoor school in recent weeks (and posting videos of the sessions on social media) it has been more than two months since his last match.

Picking him for the Ashes would also generate a huge off-field distraction for England, with a media frenzy that would far exceed that which followed Jonny Bairstow’s bizarre but non-malicious head-butt on Cameron Bancroft that came to light during the first Test.

Having taken place in a bar on the first night of the tour, and in light of the late-night arrest of Stokes, it prompted Strauss to place a midnight curfew on the players for the remainder of the tour.

But the coaching staff and the captain, Joe Root, consider the benefits of having Stokes back in the fold to far outweigh the inevitable outcry, both for the all-round skills that would see Stokes balance the side and the injection of his personality in the face of an aggressive Australia side that, after three days of tight cricket, ended up crushing them by 10 wickets at the Gabba.

Australia’s head coach, Darren Lehmann, was asked about the subject of Stokes when his squad landed in Adelaide. “I think he is a class player but I can’t really comment too much about it until the ECB decide what they are doing,” he said.

Whatever happens from here, Canterbury will believe they have pulled off a coup if they bring Stokes back to the city of his birth, with their chief executive, Jeremy Curwin, telling local media: “Someone of his profile would do amazing things not just for [us] but for New Zealand cricket as well.”

While Canterbury engaged in talks with Stokes, the young batsman Ken McClure stood down from their squad after he pleaded guilty to an assault on Friday.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...et-new-zealand

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is starting to look like one of those “worst kept secret” scenarios. Surely if Stokes is flying to a country very close to Australia to work on his match fitness and have his own little warm-up game, then Strauss is expecting him to be cleared at some point in December and he will then be drafted into the Ashes squad. No point jet-lagging your star player to death just ahead of a crucial Test match - he is on antipodean time now - his family can fly out to see him at Christmas. Whilst he is an England player.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

England’s Stokes deception infuriates Aussie Test legend

Stokes on Wednesday landed in New Zealand where he will reportedly take up an opportunity to play for New Zealand team Canterbury this weekend as a final hit out before he joins his England teammates in Perth ahead of the Third Test, beginning December 18.

Aussie Test legend Michael Slater says England cricket’s farcical handling of the situation has compounded the England and Wales Cricket Board’s dented reputation, which has continued to suffer through ongoing questions surrounding an unstable drinking culture and widespread player misbehaviour during nights out together.

England coach Trevor Bayliss floated the prospect of an Ashes curfew following Stokes’ brawl outside a Bristol nightclub, when he pondered how best to deal with an increasingly boozy culture among the team.

Bayliss initially decided against an arbitrary bedtime during the five-Test series, instead asking his players to enjoy a drink at the right times and do it sensibly.

But Jonny Bairstow’s headbutt of Cameron Bancroft, which occurred shortly after the touring party’s long-haul flight landed in Perth then emerged during their loss at the Gabba, has prompted a rethink.

England’s director of cricket Andrew Strauss has implemented a midnight curfew on his players for the rest of the tour because of Bairstow’s misdeed. A furious Bayliss declared on Monday his players would be “extra dumb and stupid” if they didn’t improve their behaviour after the storm created by Bairstow.

Slater has now taken aim at England cricket officials for further aggravating the situation by lying about Stokes’ trip to New Zealand.

England director of cricket and former Test captain Andrew Strauss said just a few days ago the ECB had no update to make surrounding Stokes’ situation, despite the 26-year-old just a day away from flying to New Zealand

The star allrounder remains the subject of a UK police investigation after a brawl outside a Bristol nightclub, with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) having declared it is waiting for that process to be finalised before it takes its next step.

But it’s understood that hasn’t stopped the ECB putting the wheels in motion for the required no-objection certificate (NOC) that would clear Stokes to play domestic cricket in New Zealand.

Slater says the lie suggests England is trying to disguise the uncomfortable evidence the cricket board has put Stokes’ playing ability ahead of team discipline and cultural values.

“It annoys the hell out of me when you have got Andrew Strauss who is overseeing all this. He is the cricket manager, whatever title he’s got,” Slater told Sky Sports Radio’s Big Sports Breakfast.

“He’s the (Australian cricket high performance manager) Pat Howard, but he comes from being the captain of England and he was asked just a few days ago for an update on Ben Stokes and he said, ‘There’s no update’. I hate that stuff..

“Of course he knew that Ben Stokes was going to Canterbury to play. Of course he knew because he was going to give a tick.

“He might as well come and join the England squad now. If you’re allowing him to play cricket, you’re allowing him to play cricket. They have the power and obviously it tells us the stance they’re taking with him.”

Slater wasn’t the only cricket commentator to publicly declare the ECB has badly handled the Stokes and Bairstow episodes.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...95675dd4ddef9b

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Ashes 2017: Suspended Ben Stokes jokes about working on his golf swing after landing in New Zealand

Suspended England all-rounder Ben Stokes landed in New Zealand on Wednesday, joking about "working on my golf swing" amid speculation he is set for a dramatic Ashes call-up.

The fiery allrounder was tight-lipped after touching down in Christchurch, where he hopes to play first-class cricket for the Canterbury in New Zealand's domestic one-day competition.

Kiwi-born Stokes said he was looking forward to seeing his parents in the South Island city he left when he was 12.

"It's been that long since I've been back here, I'm 26 now," he told reporters, refusing to discuss the trolley full of cricket gear he was pushing and instead quipping about golf.

Stokes is barred from international cricket as British police investigate his alleged involvement in a late-night fight outside a Bristol nightclub.

But the suspension announced in September does not apply to domestic cricket, meaning Stokes could turn out for Canterbury as early as this Sunday.

His stint with the New Zealand side is widely seen as an attempt to stay match-fit if Stokes receives the call to travel to Australia and bolster an England side reeling from a 10-wicket defeat in the first Ashes Test.

Britain's Telegraph newspaper reported that England had contingency plans to fast-track Stokes back into the Ashes squad within 48 hours if police decide not to charge him over the fracas.

That could see him play in the Third Test in Perth starting 14 December.

But first he has to sort out his immediate future with Canterbury, which is expected to discuss the issue at a board meeting on Wednesday night.

"The Ashes hasn't been discussed whatsoever... There's still a bit of water to go under the bridge," Canterbury coach Gary Stead told Australia's RSN Radio.

"I hope from a coaching point of view we can make this work. We've got a pretty young team here and to play alongside a premium world-class all-rounder would be great for them."

Stokes was born in New Zealand but moved to England as a child when his father Gerard, a former rugby league international, took a coaching role.

Both his parents have since moved back to Christchurch. The ECB has emphasised that Stokes is on a private trip that had not been set up by the organisation.

http://www.firstpost.com/firstcricke...32871.html/amp

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure who the ECB and Stokes are trying to fool.

Might as well be honest and say he's playing in Perth.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    According to some inside information that I stumbled upon it is already pretty much nailed on that Stokes will not be charged, which I find difficult to believe given the video footage, but as they say the law is an @ss.
    It's not that he is 100% not guilty.

Prosecuting these cases takes a hell of a lot of public money. Stokes will have excellent lawyers. His 'victim' doesn't want to pursue it, because he will get an even longer sentence than any Stokes might receive because he instigated the fight with homophobic abuse, and then threatening people with a broken bottle.

Additionally, Stokes can definitely claim self-defence as an absolute exception and provocation as a mitigating factor (this will 100% be a strong mitigation). The only argument as prosecution is that Stokes continued the fight too long. His initial decision to fight is clearly legal because the guy was threatening him with a bottle. Stokes may be could and should have stopped after knocking him down, but the law does not demand "detached reflection in the presence of an uplifted knife". Once a person starts fighting in self-defense, what happens in that fight won't be illegal (on his side) unless it's very very obvious that that there is 0 danger whatsoever.

When people start fighting our body responds with a flood of adrenaline and rage and fear mix, the law understands this and doesn't demand that Stokes behave like a saint in a fight instigated by someone else with a deadly weapon. I think a successful prosecution alone would be difficult, even if the victim wanted to pursue the case.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    There is only 100% guilty and 100% not guilty, it’s not an analogue scale.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    There is only 100% guilty and 100% not guilty, it’s not an analogue scale.
    Not quite correct, if the jury cant agree there is no decision.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I for one really want Stokes to be a part of English playing XI. It would be highly satisfying to see Ben being trolled by the Aussie crowds & media, & what's even better is in case England go on to lose those matches with Stokes in the side, at the least they won't have the excuse that their star player was missing.
    Go ECB go

The day d last tree died, d last river poisond & d last fish caught,we'll realize we can't eat money

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by style_guru View Post
    I for one really want Stokes to be a part of English playing XI. It would be highly satisfying to see Ben being trolled by the Aussie crowds & media, & what's even better is in case England go on to lose those matches with Stokes in the side, at the least they won't have the excuse that their star player was missing.
    Go ECB go
    More than that we need an even contest, atm England seems to have already thrown in the towel

Add to that Cook & Root will probably fail more often than not this series, it;s a perfect recipe for disaster & a potential 5 zip yet again!

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by style_guru View Post
    Go ECB go
    Such hatred is sad to read.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    For me to know and you to find out
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine England lose the next Test and Stokes returns in the 3rd, inspires England to a 3-2 victory

"ALL HAIL SIR BEN STOKES"

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stokes is probably Englands 4th or 5th best batsmen, and probably the 4th or 5th best bowler, all this hype around him making the team, i don't think he will actually make much of a difference to be honest

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silentkiller187 View Post
    Stokes is probably Englands 4th or 5th best batsmen, and probably the 4th or 5th best bowler, all this hype around him making the team, i don't think he will actually make much of a difference to be honest
    Yes but he is 1 player who has 2 good roles. Basically he is 2 players in 1 so he is excellent to the balance of the team.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Stokes deserves it. He's a vicious, dumb thug who could have easily killed the bloke.

And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given that being involved in the fracas was grave enough, I can't quite believe that Stokes would have got involved in something like that with the Ashes only two months away. Why would you want to take a chance like that especially when the Eng v Aus contest is thought of as the pinnacle amongst the English and Australian cricket fraternity.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Stokes deserves it. He's a vicious, dumb thug who could have easily killed the bloke.
    The post was not really about Stokes though, was it? Just your bog-standard anti-England prejudice. Surprised to see you defend it.
    Last edited by Robert; 29th November 2017 at 17:47.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    The police have passed on their files to the Crown Prosecution Service for charging advice.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Ben Stokes signs with Canterbury Cricket

Canterbury Cricket Association (CCA) today announced that England all-rounder Ben Stokes has signed as its overseas player.

The inclusion of Stokes has been agreed by CCA, the English Cricket Board (ECB), endorsed by the New Zealand Cricket Players Association and sanctioned by New Zealand Cricket.

The Christchurch born 26 year old will be available for the Ford Trophy match against Otago on 3 December at MainPower Oval in Rangiora.

CCA Director of Cricket, Gary Stead, said the Canterbury team and management are thrilled Ben Stokes has joined the team and believes he has a tremendous amount to offer.

“After the approach from Ben’s representatives everything has happened very quickly for us to the extent that we are now delighted to welcome Ben into the team,” said CCA Director of Cricket Gary Stead.

“Ben will bring international experience to what is a relatively youthful changing room.”

“He will also bring depth to our seam attack which has been affected by a string of injuries and provide more balance and firepower to our batting line up.”

“While Ben awaits the outcome of an investigation underway in the UK, he wants to maintain his fitness and his connection with the game.”

“He is a brilliant all-round player and we are really pleased to have secured one of the world's best players in our domestic competition.”

“His experience will be invaluable to our young cricketers as we look defend our Ford Trophy title and improve performances in the Burger King Super Smash.”

“The team have expressed their excitement about the opportunity to learn from and play with Ben.”

Stokes arrived in New Zealand on Wednesday to spend time with family and friends. He is currently unavailable for selection to represent England whilst he awaits the outcome of an investigation into an incident in September.

Canterbury Cricket CEO, Jez Curwin, gave clarity on the organisation’s position on players eligibility, stating the Association has acted consistently and appropriately.

“While it would be easy to draw direct comparisons between the position taken recently with another player, we have to reiterate that in that situation the player was free to play until such time as he pleaded guilty to the charges.”

“We believe Ben has the right to be treated the same way as other players.”

“It is also our understanding that Ben would be free to play County cricket in the English domestic competition were they in season.”

“Of course, as with all players, we can reassess the situation should it change.”

“Whilst we have spoken to the ECB there are a lot of sensitive facts around Ben’s matter that we have not been privy to however having spent time with Ben we are very comfortable that he wants to come to play for Canterbury for all the right reasons and get back on the park.”

“The Ashes Series is an obvious connection however that has not been a consideration for us or Ben at this time, he is just keen to be able to work again.”

“I have spoken with Ben and he is just really excited to have the opportunity to get back out onto the Oval and play the sport that he loves and is grateful to Canterbury Cricket and New Zealand Cricket for giving him the chance to represent Canterbury Cricket.”

Due to the on continuing investigation Ben and his management are not available to comment at this time.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can we change the thread title to "Ben-Stokes-and-Alex-Hales-dropped-by-England-until-it-becomes-inconvenient-and-then-all-is-forgiven" ?

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post
    Can we change the thread title to "Ben-Stokes-and-Alex-Hales-dropped-by-England-until-it-becomes-inconvenient-and-then-all-is-forgiven" ?
    Why, you did the same for SoK didn;t you?

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0H1T View Post
    Why, you did the same for SoK didn;t you?
    Steve O'Keefe said mean words while drunk. Ben Stokes beat up a guy who was backing away and fractured his eye socket.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve O'Keefe said mean words while drunk. Ben Stokes beat up a guy who was backing away and fractured his eye socket.
    Just mean words, didn't he insult a female cricketer for being gay or something, allegedly? Something similar would've made a lot of others lose their job, in today's environment. Ben on the other hand was trying to defend someone at first, before he went overboard.

So, no SoK did worse!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1425 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post
    Think from an England pov, he is needed in Australia to save the Ashes.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Just mean words, didn't he insult a female cricketer for being gay or something, allegedly? Something similar would've made a lot of others lose their job, in today's environment. Ben on the other hand was trying to defend someone at first, before he went overboard.

So, no SoK did worse!
    Watch the footage. Stokes went a long way beyond protecting anyone.
    Could have killed someone. In fact its the exact way David Hookes died.

Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Think from an England pov, he is needed in Australia to save the Ashes.
    Its hardly a moral stand though if you only take it when you can afford to.

Its sort of like how India refuses to play Pakistan for various reasons that apparently don't apply in world cups.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It did start that way, though ended up badly for him. Hales didn't help much, throwing his own kicks like a punk! In cases like these your intent matters a lot, otherwise we'd have every other hit & run or homicide cases being labeled into murder.

SoK had no intention of being decent to that female cricketer he insulted, homophobic perhaps?

What Stokes did was wrong at the end, SoK was wrong from the beginning till the very end.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1425 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

Its sort of like how India refuses to play Pakistan for various reasons that apparently don't apply in world cups.
    Nothing moral in all this. Its about winning the Ashes!

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    It did start that way, though ended up badly for him. Hales didn't help much, throwing his own kicks like a punk! In cases like these your intent matters a lot, otherwise we'd have every other hit & run or homicide cases being labeled into murder.

SoK had no intention of being decent to that female cricketer he insulted, homophobic perhaps?

What Stokes did was wrong at the end, SoK was wrong from the beginning till the very end.
    And what Stokes did wrong blatantly overstepped O'Keefe's wrongs by far.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And what Stokes did wrong blatantly overstepped O'Keefe's wrongs by far.
    Keep telling yourself that, what if the insulted female cricketer committed suicide? You'd probably blame her for being thin skinned, right?

The fact is what they did, both of them, was wrong. But to assign SoK an imaginary moral high ground, on what you believe to be the lesser crime is just absurd. Like you said, if the guy, Stokes hit, died or was grievously injured then your point would make more sense. But since that didn't happen, you have no point!

Hurting someone with hands (started out unintentionally) or deliberately with your words is just about the same, depending on the end result, this is why we have intent or motive ~ to decide the punishment in courts.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Keep telling yourself that, what if the insulted female cricketer committed suicide? You'd probably blame her for being thin skinned, right?

The fact is what they did, both of them, was wrong. But to assign SoK an imaginary moral high ground, on what you believe to be the lesser crime is just absurd. Like you said, if the guy, Stokes hit, died or was grievously injured then your point would make more sense. But since that didn't happen, you have no point!

Hurting someone with hands (started out unintentionally) or deliberately with your words is just about the same, depending on the end result, this is why we have intent or motive ~ to decide the punishment in courts.
    Yeah. And despite your hysterics one guy was taken into questioning by police for assault and the other wasn't.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So you'd rather charge a person who insulted you with a crime than someone who punched you and fractured your eye socket?

If there HAD to be a prison sentence for both, would the insulter get longer?

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Possible, but unlikely. Stokes did have a stint with the Melbourne Renegades in BBL|04, taking three wickets and striking 128 runs in four games. Yet with the BBL|07 season starting on December 19, clubs are well advanced with their rosters and have locked up their international imports.

The one exception is the Perth Scorchers, who have opted to fill just one of their two international slots, with England allrounder David Willey. And now with Jason Behrendorff facing an uncertain short-term future following his latest back injury, there could be a spot on the roster that may have the Scorchers enquiring if the flame-haired allrounder might want to continue keeping match fit while wearing Perth's burn orange.
    http://www.bigbash.com.au/news/bbl-o...hes/2017-11-30

Damn, that'd be awkward for you @Convict...

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    Scorchers wouldn't have the money left in the salary cap. Thats the actual reason they have only decided to pick up one overseas player.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure about other England fans, but I personally do not want him playing for England again at least until this investigation is complete.

If he is not charged then I would accept him back in our home international season; if he is tried and potentially convicted then his career should be put on hold for much longer.

However I do believe in rehabilitation as well as the rule of law, and so I say that when a man has “done his time” (whether that means being suspended by England, going through a court case, or even jail) - whenever that moment comes - then that means the sentence has been completed and he should be given a second chance.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm mostly with you on this one, and baffled how a drunk creep being rude at a party who didn't even touch someone is worse than Stokes playing Yorkshire batman.

And the fact there's little suspicion that two men came forward to say, 'he saved us' is actually true is sad. People can't stop worshipping their heroes even if they are violent thugs who nearly kill someone with their fists.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What verbal bullets did SoK fire that you think it may have led to a woman's suicide? I thought it was just generic sexist sorta thing about looks/being a sportswoman.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The Ashes: Cricket and the ECB have lost sight of what Ben Stokes did in Bristol

So, Christchurch is a place where it is okay to get drunk and smash someone's eye socket. The Canterbury Cricket Association, acting for the people of the Canterbury region, is happy to be represented by someone the world has seen committing such acts. Who knows, very soon England might also be the kind of place where you can batter someone who is cowering or lying on the ground and, weeks later, wear your country's colours. And Australia will be a place that puts such creatures on show.

Apparently, anything is excusable because of the perpetrator's talent with bat and ball, and because his cricket team and cricket followers, his cricket opponents and his cricket hosts, want him. Some think they need him. His return would make great theatre and maybe more competitive cricket. Perhaps he can save the Ashes, if not by winning them for his team then by boosting the spectacle. Great for cricket! Blah, blah, blah, cricket. Cricket is so important. Zero tolerance for violence ... until the Ashes, when decision-makers find their weasely ways of tolerating it after all. If that's what cricket has come to, a game so arrogant that it has forgotten it is only a game, so consumed with its own insular theatrics, then you can shove your cricket.

This is just moral posturing? Shove that too. Only those warped by competitiveness would think this has anything to do with moral one-upmanship. It's to do with humanity. It's to do with empathy. It's to do with being in a hospital and seeing doctors and nurses applying their expertise to repairing the victims of drunken violence. It's to do with the lifelong mental and physical injuries suffered by those victims. It's to do with days and years of rehabilitation and therapy. It's to do with families and, in the worst case, it's to do with going to funerals. It's not morality: it's experience.

But if you ask cricket, the issue is ... The Ashes! Villains and heroes and dirty tricks! Theatre! Excitement!

If that is what surpasses all other values, cricket can ride off into disgrace and irrelevance on its own.

Since September, I have written that the England and Wales Cricket Board has lost its sense of proportion by not immediately banning Ben Stokes until – if, when – he has been reformed to the extent that he is no longer a person who responds to provocation by beating people to a pulp. I have been asked why I take this issue so much to heart. It's certainly not for patriotic reasons. In covering cricket since 1996, I have never been accused of taking the side of my country, right or wrong. The opposite in fact.

Opinions on Stokes have split mostly along national lines, and it's disappointing that among past players, the only bold common sense has come from Australians, such as Ryan Harris and Shane Watson. But there are plenty of English people disgusted at their own cricket authorities for not having already banned Stokes for the Ashes and beyond, just as there are many Australians who want to see him play. Some of them, Australians as much as English, think the Ashes are too important to be clouded by something so extraneous as lethal intoxicated violence. Others believe that for as long Stokes has had no criminal conviction against his name, he should be treated as an innocent man, and that the ECB should treat him like any other employer.

I don't object to that point. I do not believe Stokes should be in jail until a court puts him there. Courts have that awesome power, and to exercise it they follow specialised rules of evidence and require proof beyond reasonable doubt. But between Stokes going to jail and representing his country, there is a middle ground. None of us is perfect, and a lot of us lose our temper and do things we regret. I certainly have. But if you were away on a work trip, and you went out drinking and got in an incident where you threw enough punches to break your hand and another man's eye socket, and the fight is propagated on social media so that your actions have dishonoured not only you but those you represent, whatever the provocation, you would expect to be sacked, and you employer would not have to wait to see if you go to jail first.

When it comes to the ECB, something else has always been afoot, since the days immediately following the incident in Bristol, when it was whispered that a two-Test ban and a return in Perth would be punishment enough. So far, this appears to be a conclusion that has been seeking a pretext. Step by step, Stokes' return has been massaged towards inevitability. Even the minor-league silliness involving Jonny Bairstow has been peddled out as an argument for Stokes' return. In any other context, you would call it a fix. And we are meant to believe that the England hierarchy have known nothing of Stokes' plans.

The board of the ECB might yet show decency. Stokes, Trevor Bayliss, and anyone on the ECB board thinking cricket is so important might stretch their imaginations a little. It would not take long. Why do I take it to heart? I have friends who have lost a son to an intoxicated man throwing punches on the street. Cricket is only a game, and games end. The effects of extreme violence do not. They last forever and ramify beyond the victims to those who love them. Violence is a cancer. For the victims of drunken street violence, life is sometimes brought to an end, but for their families, the sadness does not lift for one single day. Whoever thinks a mere game is so important – surely they cannot be so blinkered by their own little world that they are incapable of appreciating the smallness of what they are trying to uphold.

The perpetrator, in my friends' case, threw only one punch, unlike the sickening combinations we have all seen Stokes throw, and with a fraction of the force. As fate had it, the way their son hit the ground was what killed him. Irrespective of whether Stokes goes to jail, he should be on his knees every day thanking whatever god he believes in that he does not have a death on his hands. He is very, very lucky. Instead, there is only defiance, victimhood and a sense of entitlement amplified through social media by his legions of apologists. It's the Ashes, and England need him, and ... the Ashes!

Cricketers miss games all the time. Toby Roland-Jones and James Pattinson are out of this series, through no fault of their own, and it is accepted. Stokes is out, entirely through his own actions, and yet here are children, some in high places, stamping their feet and throwing their tantrums at "injustice". Perhaps when Stokes can fully appreciate how lucky he is, and how microscopically unimportant his game is, some kind of accountability will find its place of rest.

Zero tolerance can have meaning. Notorious episodes of street violence have led to changes to the criminal law in parts of Australia. A plurality of the Australian public was so affected by the worst of those incidents that their tolerance for drunken violence ended. One punch is now enough to earn a significant prison term. Intoxication is no longer a mitigating factor. Public attitudes have evolved. The game of cricket is blustering along, somewhere in the last century.

I was going to say that if you saw the effect of this kind of violence, it would change your views. But you don't need to see it. You only need to stop and think a little.

http://amp.theage.com.au/sport/crick...01-gzwlmt.html

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Stokes out for 2 off 7 balls in his first match for Canterbury.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Ben Stokes cricket comeback lasts just seven balls

Ben Stokes' return to cricket has lasted just seven balls.

The suspended English cricket star, batting at four for Canterbury, lost his leg stump, being bowled by Otago left-arm spinner Anaru Kitchen for two at Rangiora's Mainpower Oval on Sunday.

The crowd of about 350 were clearly disappointed when Stokes trudged back to the Canterbury tent. The vast majority had turned up to see the premier allrounder's first match in 69 days as he eyes a possible return to the England Ashes squad.

Stokes' stay at the crease was a brief one, sticking around for six minutes. Some latecomers missed him bat, given Canterbury's horrible start, slumping to 5-2 in the third over when he arrived at the wicket.

Mainpower Oval's grass bank thinned out slightly when Stokes was out, but the bulk have stayed on to watch the rest of Canterbury's innings and how Stokes performs with the ball this afternoon.

A sizeable media contingent is following Stokes' every move at Rangiora with several English and Australian journalists leaving the second Ashes test in Adelaide to report on his highly anticipated comeback to the sport.

Stokes was in much quicker than he would have expected after Otago won the toss and asked Canterbury to bat.

Otago allrounder Jimmy Neesham lit the fuse pre-game telling Stuff: "It's not like Don Bradman is walking out to bat for Canterbury". Neesham was bang on the money with Stokes appearing rusty with the bat in his first match in more than two months.

After the early dismissals of opener Chad Bowes and Leo Carter, he strolled to the crease after just 2.1 overs with Canterbury 5-2.

Stokes defended his first ball from right-arm seamer Jack Hunter and got underway off his fifth delivery, hooking the ball past square leg for two.

Kitchen, who opened the bowling with Hunter, gained Stokes' prized wicket with the Englishman sticking around for only six minutes.

The 33-year-old Kitchen isn't likely to forget the wicket in a hurry with it being just his 20th in his 72nd domestic 50-over match.

Canterbury recovered from 87-5 to get through a semi-respectable 221-9 from their allotted 50 overs. Todd Astle top scored with 51, while List A debutant Jeremy Benton hit a valuable unbeaten 40. Hunter was the best of the Otago bowlers, capturing 3-19 from four overs.

Stokes trained for the first time with his Canterbury team-mates on Saturday, beginning the session with a game of touch rugby.

"It was the first time I have met quite a few of them today," Stokes said in a short car-side interview on Saturday.

"But it was nice to know a few faces, a few of the young guys came over to Durham as part of the exchange programme. It was nice because it can be hard coming to a new team.

"Hopefully I can get out there, do well, and contribute to Canterbury winning."

Stokes remains suspended by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) following his involvement in a brawl outside a Bristol club that left a man with a fractured eye socket.

Stokes' investigation was passed onto the Crown Prosecution Service by Avon and Somerset Police on Thursday (NZT) and he won't be free to link up with England until a decision is made on whether he is charged.

He flew into Christchurch on Wednesday, where parents, Gerard and Deb, live and was confirmed as a Canterbury player on Thursday afternoon.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricke...cipated-return

Dismissal is in the link above

Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is an impact player won't score every time but when he scores will win his side the game.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He shouldn't even be playing in NZ! If that was ordinary joe he would have been charged and probably had travel restrictions. Can all those see defending Stokes and England please tell me how beating someone (regardless of if it was defending somone as he did through the first punch) has to be thought about yet "spot fixing" deserve jail time. To me that just harps back to the strength/clout of the gambling industry shame the violence/drunk and disorderly isn't taken as seriously.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salma_T View Post
    He shouldn't even be playing in NZ! If that was ordinary joe he would have been charged and probably had travel restrictions. Can all those see defending Stokes and England please tell me how beating someone (regardless of if it was defending somone as he did through the first punch) has to be thought about yet "spot fixing" deserve jail time. To me that just harps back to the strength/clout of the gambling industry shame the violence/drunk and disorderly isn't taken as seriously.
    The CPS is deciding whether to do that right now. If they believe that there is a reasonable chance of Stokes being convicted he will be charged. Else they won't waste their own time and Crown Court time.

In the case of the Pakistan Trio, there was clear evidence of conspiracy to defraud with a reasonable chance of conviction and so they were charged, tried, found Guilty Beyond Reasonable Doubt and imprisoned.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Ben Stokes and Alex Hales might be named in the ODI squad

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cri...DI-series.html

Ben Stokes and Alex Hales could be provisionally named in England’s squad for the one-day series in Australia starting on January 14.

Both remain under suspension by the ECB following their part in the street brawl outside Mbargo nightclub in Bristol in the early hours of September 25, although Stokes recently signed as Canterbury’s overseas player in New Zealand, playing his first game for them on Sunday.

His selection for the five-match series is contingent on the Crown Prosecution Service deciding he has no case to answer, despite Avon and Somerset police asking the CPS for ‘charging advice’ after handing over their file on the incident.

The squad is set to be named at the conclusion of the second Ashes Test in Adelaide, and barring a decision from the CPS in the next day or two, England are currently minded to include both men.

Neither has played for England since the third one-day international against West Indies in Bristol on September 24, with Stokes later suffering a broken finger during a fight that left a 27-year-old man with a fractured eye socket.

Speculation that his trip to New Zealand was a precursor to a surprise appearance in the Ashes looks to have been premature, but there is now an outside chance that he could appear in Australia after all, followed by England’s tour of his native New Zealand.
    Last edited by MenInG; 4th December 2017 at 08:15.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a sad world we live in when conspiracy to defraud takes you to jail yet punching someone cos takes months to decide. I still stand by it if he wasn't ben stokes he would have been charged a long time ago.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giri26 View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-5142643/England-include-Stokes-Hales-ODI-series.html

Ben Stokes and Alex Hales could be provisionally named in England’s squad for the one-day series in Australia starting on January 14.

Both remain under suspension by the ECB following their part in the street brawl outside Mbargo nightclub in Bristol in the early hours of September 25, although Stokes recently signed as Canterbury’s overseas player in New Zealand, playing his first game for them on Sunday.

His selection for the five-match series is contingent on the Crown Prosecution Service deciding he has no case to answer, despite Avon and Somerset police asking the CPS for ‘charging advice’ after handing over their file on the incident.

The squad is set to be named at the conclusion of the second Ashes Test in Adelaide, and barring a decision from the CPS in the next day or two, England are currently minded to include both men.

Neither has played for England since the third one-day international against West Indies in Bristol on September 24, with Stokes later suffering a broken finger during a fight that left a 27-year-old man with a fractured eye socket.

Speculation that his trip to New Zealand was a precursor to a surprise appearance in the Ashes looks to have been premature, but there is now an outside chance that he could appear in Australia after all, followed by England’s tour of his native New Zealand.
    Pathetic ECB
    Last edited by MenInG; 4th December 2017 at 08:15.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's how most people other than ECB fan boys perceive their actions as. The actions of that board based on convenience is for all to see.

On the topic, I am eager to see Stokes take the field in the ongoing Ashes now. I am more eager to see him at some Aussie bar where he can show off his boxing skills in front of Aussie fans

The day d last tree died, d last river poisond & d last fish caught,we'll realize we can't eat money

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salma_T View Post
    It is a sad world we live in when conspiracy to defraud takes you to jail yet punching someone cos takes months to decide. I still stand by it if he wasn't ben stokes he would have been charged a long time ago.
    All you have done here is repeat your original statement.

The spot-fixing story broke in September 2010. The Police passed their file to the CPS in November 2010. The trio were tried and found guilty in November 2011.

So if Stokes is charged, his case will not come up for months yet.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1425 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Alex Hales will now be considered for England selection, following confirmation that he is no longer a suspect in relation to an incident in Bristol in September.

The ECB Board has convened via conference call to make the decision after being informed that Hales is deemed a witness and will face no charges.

The independent Cricket Discipline Commission [CDC] has stayed the internal disciplinary process for both Alex Hales and Ben Stokes until the conclusion of any potential criminal proceedings relating to the incident.

Players, England Selectors and the England management team have all been informed.

ECB has also approved a formal request for a ‘No Objection Certificate’ [NOC] to allow Hales to play in the inaugural T10 Cricket League in Dubai from December 21-24.

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/530557

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ashes 2017/18: Wrong for Ben Stokes to tour Australia, says Kevin Pietersen

Kevin Pietersen has joined the chorus of opponents of Ben Stokes being permitted to join England's Ashes campaign as the suspended all-rounder had an underwhelming return to competitive cricket for the first time since his arrest in Bristol in September.

Stokes, turning out for Canterbury in New Zealand's 50-over Ford Trophy competition, lasted only seven balls for his two runs batting at No.4 before having his leg stump knocked over by Otago left-arm spinner Anaru Kitchen.

When Stokes later held his side after bowling his eighth wicketless over, it seemed that his body may do what the England and Wales Cricket Board have refused to and rule him out of the Ashes once and for all.

However, that scenario appeared to be put to rest when he was brought back into the attack for an over in the closing stages. He was unable to prevent his side suffering a three-wicket defeat in Rangiora, winding up with figures of 0-49 from his nine overs.

Stokes had told a local television network earlier that he had "been working hard back home, so it will be good to put into practice".

The 26-year-old has been given clearance by the ECB to play domestic cricket in New Zealand, where his family lives, while he awaits the outcome of a police investigation into a street fight in which he was shown on mobile phone footage to punch another man to the ground in a blow that left him with a fractured eye socket.

Stokes' case has been referred to the Crown Prosecution Service in Britain but the ECB has refused to shut the door on him making an appearance at some point of the Ashes, holding off on its own disciplinary process until learning whether he is charged or not.

Former Australian players such as Ryan Harris and Shane Watson have argued he should not be allowed to play in the series and Pietersen, England's fifth-highest Test run scorer, says he is of the same view.

"It would be wrong for Stokes to be on this tour," Pietersen told England's Mail on Sunday. "From what we've seen on that coverage, that bloke doesn't play for England again for a while.

"I like Ben Stokes and I think he's a brilliant cricketer but when you jump into the realm of being an international sportsman, there are do's and there are don'ts.

"The don'ts are swearing at somebody in public, telling someone to go away if they ask you for an autograph, being out at night in the middle of a Test match. What he did, it doesn't even fall into the don'ts. It is a lot worse than the don'ts."

Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland has been keen to stay out of the Stokes affair aside from a brief discussion with his ECB counterpart Tom Harrison but has watched the developments of the past week with interest.

"It's a quantum leap in terms of how much closer he is to us to where he was a week ago," Sutherland told ABC Grandstand.

"I don't know what to read into it but I know from an ECB perspective it's complicated, and whilst from time to time we've had issues with players in disciplinary-related activities we haven't had that overlay of a police investigation going on at the same time.

"If Ben Stokes is available to play, he's available to play. Our guys will be ready for it."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/...03-gzxr69.html

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hales been cleared, how can that be he was literally kicking that guy when he was on the floor...

What justice...

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Hypocrisy in English cricket is nauseating, and now KP is rubbing salt to that.

Stokes should have NEVER been dropped from ENG team - it was a police case, if required they could have taken him to custody (& ECB could have bailed him out for Ashes - guy didn't kill anyone!!!!). Not saying he would have changed ENG's fortune in terms of result, but surely, surely he would have returned some punch back. I eagerly wait for Ashes in every two years - this time feeling that I am robbed from a bare minimum contest.

The sort of sissy ENG players are (and they have the highest safety coverage among world cricketers, in case of a 2nd career), I won't be surprised if this guy does something silly with his career - all because someone wanted to show some class. Italy took Paolo Rossi to 1982 WC after he was banned for betting, and here ECB has dropped their best player, because young man had few pegs too many at the end of the County season!!!!!!!

@Junaids - who you think is behind this?

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic_Inzi View Post
    Hales been cleared, how can that be he was literally kicking that guy when he was on the floor...

What justice...
    One would have thought video evidence is conclusive. There is a right to self defence by using reasonable force which may be the case for Hales(not that I agree) but for Stokes he was chasing people and punching them, he must be charged and convicted.

If Stokes isnt charged it will make a mockery of English law and justice.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    One would have thought video evidence is conclusive. There is a right to self defence by using reasonable force which may be the case for Hales(not that I agree) but for Stokes he was chasing people and punching them, he must be charged and convicted.

If Stokes isnt charged it will make a mockery of English law and justice.
    It's amazing the lenience England and the public have showed this big besharam despite his act of violence, the vindictive Andrew Strauss was quick to decide whether or not to get rid of KP though...
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 5th December 2017 at 11:48.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    It's amazing the lenience England and the public have showed this big besharam despite his act of violence, the vindictive Andrew Strauss was quick to decide whether or not to get rid of KP though...
    I would argue that England gave KP chance after chance. He was architect of his own downfall.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1425 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Lets keep this discussion centered around cricket

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Hypocrisy in English cricket is nauseating, and now KP is rubbing salt to that.

Stokes should have NEVER been dropped from ENG team - it was a police case, if required they could have taken him to custody (& ECB could have bailed him out for Ashes - guy didn't kill anyone!!!!). Not saying he would have changed ENG's fortune in terms of result, but surely, surely he would have returned some punch back. I eagerly wait for Ashes in every two years - this time feeling that I am robbed from a bare minimum contest.

The sort of sissy ENG players are (and they have the highest safety coverage among world cricketers, in case of a 2nd career), I won't be surprised if this guy does something silly with his career - all because someone wanted to show some class. Italy took Paolo Rossi to 1982 WC after he was banned for betting, and here ECB has dropped their best player, because young man had few pegs too many at the end of the County season!!!!!!!

@Junaids - who you think is behind this?
    Nah.
    Stokes isn't fit to represent England in international sport until he actually serves a suspension. He is a violent thug.
    If the ECB want to condone that well it reflects incredibly poorly on the ECB.

Nobody is complaining that its unfair that James Pattinson is missing and he is missing through injury while Stokes only missed games because he broke is hand belting the living daylights out of a guy who was backing away.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    I would argue that England gave KP chance after chance. He was architect of his own downfall.
    At least he didn't try and kill someone with his fists, to be fair that's a bigger crime then any of weak excuses for sacking KP my friend

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    At least he didn't try and kill someone with his fists, to be fair that's a bigger crime then any of weak excuses for sacking KP my friend
    Strawman. You said KP didn’t get a chance, and he did.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Strawman. You said KP didn’t get a chance, and he did.
    This was my original post:
    Not sure what chances has anything to do with it, but minding your ignorance; my point stands, he didn't try and murder someone did he yet Stokes is getting the golden boy treatment. Pathetic really.